Chronicle of the "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die"
Submitted by openstacks on Sun, 06/28/2009 - 19:55
- This is just a way of chronicling my half-assed journey through albums from the book "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die" by Robert Dimery that my wife gave me for Father's Day 2009. It'll include albums I own and know, but I'll be more interested in tracking down new-to-me material. You can see the list itself here: http://listology.com/list/albums-i-own-1001-albums-you-must-hear-you-die
- 1. "The Wildest" - Louis Prima - (1) Love it.
- 2. "Tragic Songs of Life" - The Louvin Brothers - (1) Not sure about this one. Kind of a downer. (2) It's growing on me. (3) Hmmm, liking this quite a bit.
- 3. "Vespertine" - Björk - (1) CD started skipping at track 10. It was only a slight downturn in the listening experience. Don't get it.
- 4. "Everything Must Go" - Manic Street Preachers - (1) Nice.
- 5. "Spy vs. Spy - The Music of Ornette Coleman" - John Zorn - (1) Like Ornette on speed. Kinda loud for the office.
- 6. "Head Hunters" - Herbie Hancock - (1) I've owned this forever. It's incredible.
- 7. "Kenya" - Machito - (1) Fantastic. Afro-cuban jazz from the 1950s for the win.
- 8. "Murmur" - R.E.M. - (1) I've had this CD for over 20 years now. Wow. Love it still.