Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ
- 1. "We are so small beneath the stars, so large against the sky. And lost among the subway crowds, I try to catch your eye."
- 2. "Blessed are the penny rookers, cheap hookers, movie lookers. Oh Lord, why have you forsaken me." --Paul Simon, "Blessed" Pete.
- 3. "Oh God, She's got helicopters. I think she has." --The Flaming Lips (Wayne Coyne) "Pilot Can the Queer of God" jblack
- *4. "I will love you innumerably. You can count on my words. When times are mysterious, serious number speak to us all."
- 5. "The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face." --Bob Dylan, "Visions of Johana"
- 6. "I feel numb. Born with a week heart. Guess I must be having fun." --Talking Head (David Byrne), "Naive People" tdunnie
- 7. "Who put the bomp in the bompdy bompdy bomp? Who put the ram in the rammma lamma ding dong? Who was that man. I'd like to shake his hand. He made my baby fall in love with me." Barry Mann "Who Put the..."
- *8. "Your love is a parking lot, with potholes and faded lines and the kids don't hang cause the cops just chase them out."
- 9. "The only girl I ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. And then they buried her alive, one evening 1945 with just her sister by her side. Now she's a little boy in Spain, playing pianos filled with flames..." --Neutral Milk Hotel (Jeff Mangum), "Holland, 1945" Nick Vane
- 10. "I guess, a guess is the best I'll do." -- Pavement (Stephen Malkmus), "Elevate Me Later
- *11. "If there's one thing I can't stand, it's up."
- 12. "I was talking to Peachy Peach about Kissy Kiss." The Pixies (Black Francis) "Bone Machine" SF Fragile
- 13. "I wrote poem on a dog biscuit and the dog refused to look at it. So I got drunk and looked at the Empire State Building, it was no bigger than a nickel." -- Galaxie 500 (Dean Wareham), "Fourth of July" slipkid71
- 14. "A rich man once told me, hey life's a funny thing. A poor man once told me that he can't afford to speak." -They Might Be Giants, "Number 3". drtyhalo
- 15. "I get the news I need I need form the weather report...hey, I got nothing to do today but smile." Paul Simon "The Only Living Boy in New York"
- 16. "If I ventured into the slipstream, between the viaducts of your drain...Would you find me? Would you kiss my eyes?" -Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks" l. bangs
- *17. "Catchin' a ride with a band. I sat in the back of the van. They tried to make me understand that if I'm not in a band it doesn't mean I'm square, and if I am than I don't care."
- 18. "Hey now baby, get into my big, black car. I just want to show ya, just what my politics are." -Cream, "Politician" drtyhalo
- 19. "You're a bum, you're a punk. you're an old slut on junk...Merry Christmas, you ashole. Thank God, it's our last." -The Pogues, "Fairytale of New York" jgandcag
- 20. "You were rich once until your head exploded. Imagine doing just what the big bang did." --The Breeders (Kim Deal), "I Just Wanna Get Along" tdunnie
- 21. "A preacher came on and said 'You always have the lord on your side.' And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I drove through twenty red lights in His honor saying 'Thank you Jesus, Thank you Lord." Jagger/Richards, "Far Away Eyes" S.F.Fragile
- 22. "On the way to god don't know, my brain's the burger and my heart's the coal. In this place that i call home, my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo." Modest Mouse (Isaac Brock), Heart Cooks Brain" - Cosgrove
- *23. "On the last day of your life, don't forget to die. The things that you do will always make your mama cry."
- 24. "Until the sky turns green and the grass is several shades of blue, every member of parliament trips on glue. It takes all these things and all that time 'til my sugarspun sister's happy with this love of mine." -Stone Roses (Ian Brown), "Song for My Sugarspun Sister" l.bangs
- 25. "He wants red. So I got red shoes. And this red becomes you." --Throwing Muses (Kristen Hersh), "Red Shoes" sophist
- 26. "Cherry cherry. Cherry suck on. Cherry cream on. Cherry come on."
- 27. "Elevator to the brain hotel, broken down but just as well." - Donovan,"Epistle to Dippy" Gregg B
- 28. "I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes. You'd know what a drag it is to see you." -Robert "Dylan" Zimmerman, "Positively 4th St." l.bangs
- 29. "He's so unhip. When You say Dylan he thinks you're talkin bout Dylan Thomas. Whoever he was." Paul Simon, "A Simple Desultory Phillipic (or How I was Robert McNamaraed Into Submission)" Pete & l.bangs united
- *30. "That was called love for all the workers in song. Probably still is for those of them left."
- *31. "Keep spinning in circles til you break new ground."
- 32. "In this time of introspection, on the eve of my election, I say to my reflection 'God please spare me more rejection.'" Ben Folds, "Army" l.bangs
- 33. "If I can be your camera, then who will be your face." Michael Stipe, "Camera" ender22
- 34. "'Some kinda love' Marguerita told Tom 'Between thought and expression lies a lifetime.'" The velvet Underground, "Some Kinda Love" l. bangs
- 35. "I say, 'Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick. Everybody knows the burrow owl lives in a hole. In the ground. Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway?' Now Stuart, Do you think a kid like that is going to know what the queers are doing to the soil." The Dead Milkmen, "Stuart" taryn
- 36. "I said, 'Hey Senorita, that's astute, " I said, "Why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute.'" *from Graceland but not Graceland
- 37. "I want specifics on the general ideas. I want to think what I should know."
- 38. "Jai guru deva om." Lennon(McCartney), "Across the Universe" ender22
- 39. "You will start out( )standing, proud to steal her anything she sees, but you'll wind up peeking through her keyhole down upon your knees." -Dylan, "She Belongs to Me" l.bangs 40. "He-man drag in a glittering ballroom, greyly outrageous in my high heeled shoes, tightly undone, know what they're showing, sadly ecstatic that their heroes are news." Pete Townsend, "5:15" S.F.Fragile
- 41. "It was a tattoo night, streets so bright. The world was so thin between my bones and skin." --Television (Tom Verlaine), "Venus" sophist/tdunnie
- 42. "There are forty different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack. So why're you complaining" --Pavement, "Elevate Me Later" sophist
- 43. "I am the fly in the ointment. I can spread more disease than the fleas which nibble away at your window display." Wire, "Fly in the Ointment" - Cosgrove
- *44. "And of course I don't mind chasing a bee inside a jar. And of course I don't mind chasing a girl inside a car."
- *45. "He tried selling his heart to the heart girls over on Easy Street. But they said 'Johnny it falls apart too easy, an you know, hearts these days are cheap.'"
- 46. "I like to watch things on TV." Lou Reed, "Satellite of Love" S.F.Fragile
- 47. "Papplejammy Maalmsteen Made Margaritas in Morocco with Marcel Marceau. Mummenschantz Pachinko Poured Manischewitz in Pajamas at the Pompidou."
- *48. "You don't have to be fucking brilliant to see I'm not as smart as I used be, and I'm not as bright as I seem."
- 49. "Broke my pace and ran out of time. Sometimes I'm so full of shit that it should be a crime. Broke a promise cause my car broke down. Such a classic excuse it should be bronze by now."
- 50. "Threw a nickel in a fountain to save my soul from all these troubled times and all the drugs that I don't have the guts to take to soothe my mind so I'm always sober, always aching, always heading towards mass suicide, occult figurines." --Neutral Milk Hotel, "Song Against Sex" Nick Vane
- 51. "The flowers of the city though breathlike, get deathlike at times and there's no use in tryin' t' deal with the dyin' though I cannot explain that in rhymes." -Dylan, "To Ramona" Min
- *52. "La la la. La lune est libre, je crois."
- 53. "I'm just a slow emotion replay of somebody I used to be." -The The (Matt Johnson) "Slow Emotion Replay" Sophist
- 54. "Whenever I want you all I have to do is dream." The Everly Brothers "Dream" SF Fragile
- 55. "I make you break. You make me hard. Your Irish skin looks Mexican. Our love is rice and beans and horses lard." Black Francis, "Bone Machine" jblack
- 56. "Soft spoken with a broken jaw. Step outside but not to brawl." Red Hot Chili Peppers "Scar Tissue" ender22
- *57. "Rollin down Van Buren. You can tell by [the stream of urine] or [this dream that you're in.]"
- 58. "Just like Pagliachi did. I try to keep my expressions hid." Smokey Robinson, "Tears of a Clown" drtyhalo sprouts wings
- 59. "You. Can dress in pink and blue, just like a child, and in a yellow taxi turn to me and smile. We'll be there in just a while if you follow me." --Joe Jackson "Steppin' Out" tdunnie
- *60. "And the rooms all smell like diesel. And you take on the dreams of the ones who have slept here."
- 61. "The best looking boys are taken. The best looking girls are staying at home." Belle & Sebastian, "Judy and the Dream of Horses" weezerloser
- 62. "I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be. You're gonna give you're love to me." Buddy Holly, "Not Fade Away" l. bangs
- 63. "With your sheets like metal and your belt like lace, and your deck of cards missing the jack and the ace, and your basement clothes and your hollow face, who among them can think he could outguess you?" Dylan, "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" l. bangs
- *64. "One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent guillotine."
- 65. "I see the stars come out tonight. I see the bright and hollow sky over the city's ripped backside. And everything looks good tonight." Iggy Pop, "The Passenger" drtyhalo
- *66. "I walk past the place to meet without turning. All week, I've been running from you, and I hate it. I turn out the lights when I'm thinking about you."
- 67. "Oh the singer, he looks angry at being thrown to the lions, and the bass player, he looks nervous about the girls outside, and the drummer, he was shattered trying to keep up time, and the guitar player looks damaged. They've been outcasts all thier lives." -Jagger/Richards "Jigsaw Puzzle" Sophist
- *68. Oh the rehearsals went easy and I'd learnt all the moves. I was playing a tree trunk in a forest of fools."
- *69. "What's society built on? It's built on words. What's society built on? It's built on love."
- *70. "Every thousand years this metal sphere ten times the size of Jupiter floats just a few yards past the earth. You climb on your roof and take a swipe at it with a single feather, hit it once every thousand years. Til you wear it down"
- 71. "As fruit drops and flesh it sinks. It all willl fall right into place. When we die, some sink and some lay, but at least I won't see you float away." -Modest Mouse (Isaac Brock, "Gravity Rides Everything" AAA
- 72. "We'll meet beyond the shore, we'll kiss just as before. Happy we'll be beyond the sea
- and never again I'll go sailing." Bobby Darin , "Somewhere Beyond the Sea"
- 73. "When I lay myself to sleep I pray that I don't go too deep." -REM (Stipe) "Lightin Hopkins" tdunnie
- 74. "If I ever catch that ventriloquist, I'll squeeze his head right into my fist." -Television (Verlaine) "Friction" tdunnie
- 75. "Any girl in the world could have easily known me better. She said, "You're strange, but don't change," and I let her." Neil Young, "Mr. Soul" l. bangs
- *76. "To her I'm Robert E. Lee, but I renounce my confederacy, and I'll carry that flag to be... nailed to the body of Lincoln."
- *77. "And when they drilled holes in your skull and screwed that halo to your head, did you think you could fly?"
- *78. "I remember her number like the summer."
- 79. "So wake me when it's over. Touch my face. Tell me every word had been erased." --They Might Be Giants, "Everything Right is Wrong Again" AJDaGreat
- 80. "The subway, she is a porno. The pavements, they are a mess. I know you supported me a long time, but somehow I'm not impressed." -Interpol "NYC" Sophist
- 81. "Now I'm at the hairdresser. People watch me as they move past. A man wearing plastic antlers rubs his bum up against the glass." Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Oh My Lord" - Cosgrove
- *82. "Sweet autumn leaves seem to long for the pre-garden days."
- *83. "I am the autumn and the scarlet. I am the makeup on your eyes."
- *84. "There is a war between the rich and poor; a war between the man and the woman. There is a war between those that say there is a war and the ones that say that there isn't."
- *85. "Suddenly it all went down. Now we'll all be brothers of the fossil fire of the sun. Now we will all be sisters of the fossil blood of the moon."
- *86. "And I still think of you on cold winter mornings. They still remind me of when we were at school. When they could never have persuaded me that lives like yours were in the hands of these erroneous fools."
Brian Wilson called his Beach Boys songs "teenage symphonies to God." Basically unreligious myself, these are the some of the verses in my ever-growing hymnal to a higher authority. Anyone who can identify these songs will have an eternal flame in my humble office cubicle/shrine.
*A couple of these are by the same author. I'll try to keep repeats to a minimum, but genius will not be contained.
SF Fragile: 5
Nick Vane: 2