Most Important Thinkers of All Time
- Aristotle. Followers: Ibn Sina, Leibniz, Frege, Russell, Wittgenstein, Ed Jaynes.
- Ibn al-Haytham. Followers: Bacon, Newton, Hume, Popper, Kuhn.
- Euclid. Followers: Descartes, Cantor, Frege, Russell, Hilbert, Godel.
- Isaac Newton.
- Charles Darwin.
- Martin Luther.
- Immanuel Kant.
- Edward Bernays.
- David Hume.
- this is a list for thinkers, not artists (Shakespeare), activists (Jesus), leaders (Alexander), or engineers (Edison).
- I'm more concerned with how influential these thinkers will be in another millennium, not right now. Making the list today, I'd have to include Thomas Aquinas. But the power of logic and the scientific method will outlive sophisticated superstition. Also, a list for today would include Confucius, but in another thousand years he will fade into the mix with others of his era advocating learning, peace, and harmony. Finally, I suspect Darwin's insight will be even more important 1000 years from now than it is now.
- I'm hoping that in the next millennium we will make breakthroughs in ethics and politics like we have made in logic and science. (No, utilitarianism and democracy weren't it.)
- for some reason, the one who always brings a tear to my eye for his genius is Newton.