Television shows and Mini Series watched on DVD in 2005
Submitted by spoky on Mon, 01/03/2005 - 10:27
- Carnivale - season one: ***1/2
This one took about half the shows to really pull me in, but now I am eagerly awaiting the second season.
- Six feet under - season four : ****
- Dead Like Me - Season two :***1/2
- Six feet under - season three : ***1/2
- Oz - season 4 : ***1/2
- The Prisoner vol. 2 : rating withheld until end of series
- Monk Season Two - episodes 1 to 8 : Comment and rating withheld until end of season
- Dead Like Me - Season one :***1/2
An enjoyable and entertaining show that I felt was plagued by a number of inconsistencies. Most prominent of these was the shepherding of the dead sometimes they ignored the souls completely and other times they conversed with them took them to their final destination.
- The prisoner. Vol. 1 : Comment and rating withheld until end of season
- The L Word season one :***1/2
A very good series but I must admit that I didn't find the characters quite as interesting as the other Showtime series about homosexual life (Queer as Folk). I guess I just find the made up life of a bunch of gay men more entertaining then that of a bunch of lesbian women. Still very good and highly recommended viewing.
- Angels in America :***
Good but I felt it was a bit over the top in parts. Also I am not sure how well the plot line with Harper worked with the rest of the story.
- Lexx S2 V5 :**1/2
Again as with the first season I quite liked the episodes with the main enemy better then most of the other episodes where they just met with some random encounter in space. There was a bit too much preoccupation with sex which while I understand is supposed to be part of the humour it got old fast. I will probably still give the next season a chance but my hopes will not be that high.
- Lexx S2 V4
- Lexx S2 V3
- Freaks and Geeks: The complete series : ****
A simply wonderful series. It is a shame that TV this good gets canceled after just one season.
- Lexx S2 V2
- Lexx S2 V1
- Sex in the city - complete fourth season ***1/2
Definitly my favourite season of the show to date. Something about this season made it stand above the others, perhaps I just knew the characters better or more likely the story lines were just more interesting this time around. A good show that seems to get better each season.
- Homicide -- life on the street. The complete first and second seasons : ***
I missed two episode due to a bad scratch on the third DVD, but I think I got the gist. A good show. I don't think I saw what the critical appeal was though. Maybe too many other shows have copied Homicide since it has been off the air, or maybe I just don't get whatever made this special. I much prefer Tom Fontana's 'Oz'.
- Coupling the complete second season. : ****
Absoulutly hilarious! I tend to stay away from sitcoms, in fact the only two current sitcoms that I watch are Scrubs and Corner Gas, because for the most part I find sitcoms have difficulties being consistently funny. I laughed long and hard with every episode of this and the first season of Coupling. Maybe the much shorter series enables the writers to concentrate more funny moments in each show or maybe the British are just a funnier in general, but this show beats the pants off almost any sitcom coming out of the US.
- Farscape - The complete season one. [Vol. 6] : ***1/2
Pretty much your typical science fiction show, a bunch a people on a ship stopping at different planets for action and drama. But it was a very well done typical science fiction show with fairly well developed characters and interesting storylines. I look forward to season two.
- Farscape - The complete season one. [Vol. 5]
- Farscape - The complete season one. [Vol. 4]
- Farscape - The complete season one. [Vol. 3]
- Farscape - The complete season one. [Vol. 2]
- Farscape - The complete season one. [Vol. 1]
- 24 - season three :***1/2
Yet another very good season of 24! This season had many more annoying characters in it then the previous seasons where Kim was the only real focus of annoyance, but if you over look that you get a show that keeps hooking you in for the next episode. I am not sure I would be able to enjoy it as much if I wasn't watching it on DVD, I keep wanting to watch the next episode right away. I am looking forward to the forth season, as I understand it the only returning character is Jack, which I think will make for a good fresh start.
- Curb your enthusiasm. The complete first season : ***
I felt that this finished a lot stronger then it started. Perhaps by the end I was more accustom to the humour being presented but I thought the first few shows were much weaker then the last few. Definitely good enough to look into future seasons.
- Lexx. Series one. Episode four, Giga shadow : *** (Rating for the whole series)
Lexx was an interesting series, though there was only four episodes each one was about an hour and a half long. I liked the first and the last episodes the most, there was a common enemy in both shows which I found more interesting then the enemies in the other two episodes. The story seemed to be geared more towards those that truly enjoy science fiction and the special effects reflected a low budget production. But since I do enjoy a good sf story I found the whole series to be quite enjoyable. As a side note the series was produced in my hometown so I was interested in seeing it for some time now.
- Lexx. Series one. Episode three, Eating pattern