My film log - A definitive list of every film I've seen since 01/10/2007
- Red Road (Andrea Arnold, 2006)- Very promising feature debut.
- The Host (Joon Ho Bong, 2006)- Loved his previous film 'Memories of Murder', no idea why he decided to go for a monster movie next but I'm sure glad he did. Total madness.
- Volver (Pedro Almodovar, 2006)- Exactly what you'd expect from the man. Not his finest moment but still better than 99% of all films released in the same year.
- Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright, 2006)- 'a big bushy beard!'
- London to Brighton (Paul Andrew Williams, 2006)- Another independent British gem.
- For Your Consideration (Christopher Guest, 2006)- Ho-hum. Not one of his best by a long chalk.
- Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)- Finally watched Lynch's classic and it was well worth the wait.
- Election (Alexander Payne, 1999)- Before the middle aged angst of Sideways and About Schmidt, Payne served up this sharp, satirical film about a high school presidential campaign.
There's no reason for this list and there's no logic to the films added to it. My film watching habits are not as disciplined as they once were; when only a Fellini or a Satyajit Ray was permitted, now I pretty much watch whatever takes my fancy. Of course I still have standards but, as my list will testify from time to time, I'm as happy watching crap as I am watching Visconti.
It's just that I know the difference and I'm comfortable with that