Classes I'm Taking [Fall 2003]
Submitted by nerd on Sat, 12/06/2003 - 12:02
- CHEM 2521 - Organic Chemistry I (4 credits)
- For the first time in years, I've actually paid attention during chemistry. The professor is from Sverdlovsk (Yekaterinburg) and has a beautiful accent, which might account for my sudden interest in nucleophilic substitution reactions. I hope next semester bodes better for me, though - I was 0.3% away from the next grade level and Viktor refused to raise my score! >:(
- BIOL 2201 - Genetics (3 credits)
- Before I took this course, I was a cell biology major. The professor unwittingly made me completely averse to everything sub-organismal in nature. I think she may have done this to several others in the class, as well, since the average score on the final exam was 60%. Pathetic.
- BIOL 2801 - General Ecology (3 credits)
- I only got a B in this class. But I was so inspired by the material and the professor (well, material moreso) that I've completely re-thought my whole career path. I think I want to go into soil science. How dismal is that? I suppose I should go read the 869 page Soil Taxonomy: A Basic System of Soil Classification for Making and Interpreting Soil Surveys now...
- MATH 1296 - Calculus I (5 credits)
- Before I took this class, I enjoyed math. Professor Greene ruined it all for me. I have never met anyone so enthusiastic about math, yet so utterly incapable of drilling this subject into our heads. I also have never been around such a teeming mass of freshmen before. Those kids are awful.
- HIST 2265 - Russian History in the 20th Century (3 credits)
- When I was in high school, I despised history. Who wants to memorize a bunch of impertinent dates? Now I regale my family with assorted facts about Witte and Martov and Goglidze and Ordzhonikidze...