13 Pretty Good Simpsons Episodes From the Past Few Seasons
Submitted by AJDaGreat on Wed, 03/23/2005 - 02:18
- There's been a lot of lamenting lately about the current state of the Simpsons. In an effort to think positive, I offer you thirteen pretty recent episodes that were good if not great. These are the ones that stood out in my mind:
- 1. Skinner's Sense of Snow (Season 12) - Trapped in school by the snow, Springfield Elementary students rebel against their authority figures, with the wonderfully anarchic humor of the show's early days.
- 2. Trilogy of Error (12) - Actually a real masterpiece. An extremely well-plotted parody of Run Lola Run. Definitely the greatest episode of the past five seasons.
- 3. The Blunder Years (13) - Homer is hypnotized and remembers a long-suppressed memory that leads to an age-old mystery. His screaming fit is too funny.
- 4. Half-Decent Proposal (13) - They bring back Marge's sleazy prom date Artie Ziff (voiced by Jon Lovitz) with hilarious results.
- 5. Weekend at Burnsie's (13) - Maybe it shouldn't be here, but Homer is just so funny when he's stoned...
- 6. Special Edna (14) - The Simpsons wreak havoc in Orlando with hilarious results.
- 7. I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can (14) - Hurt by a really rushed ending, but before that we have a pretty great episode. Includes a great subplot that satires Deadheads.
- 8. C.E. D'oh (14) - Sure, it does have a pretty stupid moment where it is revealed the SNPP is owned by a canary, but other than that a really solid episode.
- 9. Three Gays of the Condo (14) - Weird Al guest starring? Good enough for me.
- 10. Today I Am a Klown (15) - Eh, I just really love Jewish humor. And the subplot about Homer's TV show is awesome too.
- 11. The Ziff Who Came to Dinner (15) - Another Artie Ziff episode, so instead I'll just tell you a quote: Homer has just been released from a wrongful imprisonment. Homer: Can I apply my time on a future crime? / Guard: You can either steal a car or kick me in the crotch. (Homer kicks the guard in the crotch; he falls to the ground in pain) No one ever picks the car...
- 12. Simple Simpson (15) - Very fun, campy superhero parody, even if the plot is a tad over-the-top.
- 13. Bart-Mangled Banner (15) - Plotless and ridiculous political satire, but edgier than the show has been in a while, and how can you dislike a send-up of the Patriot Act called the "Government Knows Best Act"?
- I have seen very few episodes from the current season (the 16th), so someone else will have to comment on good episodes from that one.