09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz
- 1) Tears don't become me / pain ain't my friend. (Ain't Gonna Let You Break My Heart Again - Bonnie Raitt)
- 2) Through eyes of love I see, I'm really lookin at a friend. (Tightrope - Stevie Ray Vaughn)
- 3) She got two for a nickel, got four for a dime. (They're Red Hot - Robert Johnson)
- 8) All the gifts of life are held within our walls. (Temples of Syrinx - RUSH)
- 10) My home lies deep within you. (I Write The Songs - Barry Manilow)
- 18) Hey son, you better get on back to town. (Lowdown - Boz Skaggs)
- 25) Here I come, but I ain't the same. (Mama, I'm Coming Home - Ozzy Ozbourne)
- 26) Londie, it could have not been done... (Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder)
- 27) I'm on my guard / With all the exits sealed. (No Reply At All - Genesis)
- 29) Killing with love and power in God's name. (Stop Hurting People - Pete Townsend)
- 30) The money spent on bombs alone can build poor people a happy home. (Study War No More - Willie Dixon)
- 32) What the papers say / Just seems to bring down heavier rain. (Another Tricky Day - The Who)
- 34) Good things might come to those who wait / Not to those who wait to late. (Just The Two of Us - Bill Withers or Grover Washington Jr.)
- 4) They think our love is just a growin' pain. (Grease - The Bee Gees) (G:nadine)
- 5) She's three miles of bad road. (Crush w/ Eyeliner - REM)(G:lbangs)
- 6) You see time, time is our friend. (Have a Little Faith In Me - John Hiatt) (g: Anonymous)
- 7) Now even when you're gone you can still be reborn. (Lost Ones - Lauryn Hill) (G:christy)
- 9) The time will come when you'll be blue. (Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams)(G:lbangs)
- 11) With love to lead the way, I've found more clouds of gray. (But Not For Me; vocals:Sinatra or Garland, lyrics: Ira Gershwin) (g:jenhowel)
- 12) The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale sound (The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot) (g:Min)
- 13) And everybody here would know what I was talking about.(Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes - Paul Simon) (G:SFragile)
- 14) He even made the teacher let him sit next to my baby. (Bird Dog - Everly Brothers) (G: AuntieM)
- 15) I've got a freaky lady name o' Cocaine Katy. (Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook) (G:sk)
- 16) Looking out for another, Anyone will do...(Dancing Queen - ABBA) (G:jenhowel)
- 17) I know it may sound selfish / But let me breath the air. (Cool Change - Little River Band) (G:DaveMog)
- 19) Well you're slim and you're weak, you've got the teeth of the Hydra upon you. (Get It On, Bang a Gong; T-Rex) (G:anonymous Pete)
- 20) I hear babies cry, I watch them grow. (What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong)(G:anonymous Pete)
- 21) Do I what? Will I what? (Chantilly Lace - Big Bopper) (G: AuntieM)
- 22) Tight dress and lipstick / She's sportin' high heal shoes. (Sweet Little Sixteen - Jerry Lee Lewis or Chuck Berry) (G:AuntieM)
- 23) But we sure had a good time when we started way back when. (Photographs and Memories - Jim Croce) (G:DaveMog)
- 24) Why, why some people break up. (Let's Stay Together - Al Green) (G:jenhowel)
- 28) He was only ten years old when his daddy died in prison.(Coward of the County - Kenny Rogers) (G:anonymous)
- 31) Before it's earned, our money's all been spent (I Got You Babe - Sonny & Cher) (G:anonymous Pete)
- 33) I live in a silver mine and I call it Beggar's Tomb. (Uncle John's Band - Grateful Dead) (G:ender22d)
- 35) Spreadin' on the mustard now, A-show me how.(My Balogna - Weird Al Yankovic) (G:anonymous)
- 36) Look around everywhere you turn is heartache. (Vogue - Madonna) (G:jenhowel)
- 37) Harmony and understanding / Sympathy and trust abounding.(Age of Aquarius - 5th Dimension) (G:jenhowel)
- 38) Music would play and Felina would whirl. (El Paso - Marty Robbins) (g: anonymous reader)
- 39) Flow like a harpoon daily and nightly. (Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice) (G:ender22d)
- 40) I ain't ready for no family ties / Nobody's gonna hurry me. (Don't Get Hooked On Me - Mac Davis) (G:sk)
LBangs encouraged me to get my own quiz out. My first shot at a quiz, so here we go. Hope this works out okay.
There's a bit of range to these, but they're generally all well known songs. I've tried to introduce difficulty by crossing genres primarily. The songs themselves are (with some exceptions) pretty easy, IMHO.
9/21: Added a few easier (I hope) ones.
9/21: Rules (my quiz...my rules...LOL)
1) Correct answers are posted once they're entirely correct.
2) 1/2 right answers will be noted with the response as 1/2 right but get no formal credit. See rule 1.
3) First one to post the entire right answer gets the full credit.
4) Searching for song title and artist of best known recording. Knowing the lyricist is very impressive but receives no credit.)