0012. Over-Rated Artists
Submitted by lbangs on Tue, 02/20/2001 - 10:24
- 1. The Grateful Dead - Yeah, the last time they focused, somewhere near the dawn of the seventies, they could actually produce good music. Ever since, however, they have coasted on endless diminishing returns. While I am saddened by Garcia's death, I am very grateful this band's trip is through.
- 2. The Dave Matthews Band - They just can't seem to pull it together. When the music was a boring retread of item 1 above, the lyrics were alright. When the music actually got a bit interesting, Matthews started believing he was a poet. He ain't, and his lyrics on Crash induce giggles of embarrassment over his attempts to wax poetic. If it didn't sound so much like folk music, of course, it wouldn't matter, but the music couches the words, forcing one to listen. Obviously, this either forces one to laugh or become a fan.
- 3. Pink Floyd - Yeah, Dark Side is a good album. Just how far will Floyd fans let them stretch this one musical concept?
- 4. Led Zeppelin - IV is great, but their place in rock music history is greatly over-esteemed.
- 5. Joan Baez - Great voice. Now if she could only manage to sound like she understands what she's singing. Oh, and please, no more Dylan voice imitations.
- 6. Smashing Pumpkins - When Nirvana left, why couldn't people just let them go? Billy is as pretentious as he believes he is brilliant. Some fashes of genius, but an awful lot of fool's gold.
More to come...