• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, been itching to check out Love Exposure. Scaruffi recently put it #2 for the decade. How would you compare this Dirty Beaches album to the other one you recommended me?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Love Exposure (film)
    Dirty Beaches - Stateless (rock album)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Btw, thanks for recommending Birdman (along with Stretch Corleone). I really enjoyed it and at certain points during the experience I thought it could be one of the very best films of the 00's/10's (I'm not totally convinced it isn't yet. Need to see it again).

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Cool, I'll give it one more shot before rating.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Whoops, I'm more prone to error when typing from my phone :) I'll get going on those Rembrandts soon if not tonight

• Greatest Comic Book Artists   2 weeks 5 days ago

Very interesting, thanks for the recommendation. The stories are very poetic and strange (Screw Style is indeed amazing) and executed in a very japanese fashion - minimalistic compositions with a naive touch.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

"Also HexNash: I'm not seeing Jimmy Bell as particularly extraordinary so far. Any input that might help?"

Eh, not really sure what to say. The album sounds to me like Beefheart meeting the Doors in a graveyard, and I like that sound. Everything is moving at its own rhythm, but fits into place somehow.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

I'm ashamed to say how long it took me to figure out you were typing Salomon...

I'll be back on this page Dec 2024, see you then!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

To HexNash/Stretch Corleone: I am about to see Birdman as I type this so will have input on that in a couple hours.

To Marquee: I started evaluating the Solomon work last night. I'm about 10 pieces in, so I'll get back to you with a rating in a few years!!! ;-)
    (seriously though, I'll probably jump in and out with it over an extended period of time while also assimilating several other works)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks I already have it on my classical list, rated as a masterpiece -- deservedly so. Any others?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa

• Greatest Comic Book Artists   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thank-you! Being a monoglot makes me seriously deficient when it comes to really digging into as many comics as I'd like to, but I'll definitely give this a look.

My own recommendation is Yoshiharu Tsuge, who is--for me--the greatest cartoonist of all time, bar none (English translations in the link). "Screw Style" and especially Munou no Hito are two of the best comics I've read. Not to overwhelm you with suggestions, but this site also has other Tsuge comics, my favourite being "Oba's Elecroplate Factory" and the adorable "Mushroom Hunting"

• Greatest Comic Book Artists   2 weeks 6 days ago

Here is a link to a cbr file of his first Mort Cinder in french. Great noir artwork.
    I'm a big fan of your lists btw, especially the movie ones.

• My 100 Favourite Songs (One song of one Artist)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks and I totally agree!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 4 hours ago

I'll keep playing. Here's a link to what my list will be.

• Most beautiful words in the English language   3 weeks 8 hours ago

I have often thought how English sound to foreign ears. In my opinion, the beauty of English lies in its simplicity. Anyway, you have given an interesting account regarding this context. You have listed some of the most beautiful words.

• Favorite Movies   3 weeks 9 hours ago

Damn right. I love every second of it. I'd be a film lover if all great films were this pure and short ... Don Hertzfeldt is an incredible artist. See his other movies if you want. Everything Will Be OK is a haunting, cathartic piece of work. The Meaning of Life just might be the most relevant (and beautiful) film about its subject.

I hope you like the number 14. I just borrowed every Von Trier movie from a friend and things are definitely going to change here! :)

• Favorite albums   3 weeks 10 hours ago

Still in a Residents mood? I hope you have Six Things to a Cycle around. It's a freaking masterpiece.

• Ultimate Classic House List (1984-1989)   3 weeks 19 hours ago

thanks for post

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 23 hours ago

Pretty much :-) I really like the Walcha recording that you prefer, among others. Not sure which one is my favorite though. Art of Fugue is almost certainly a 9/10 on my scale and definitely no lower than 8.5/10. I just haven't decided on the rating yet but I'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days :)

• Greatest Comic Book Artists   3 weeks 1 day ago

Breccia!!!

How wonderful to see his name. I've only seen samples of his work: incredible. If only he were being translated into English...

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 1 day ago

You've listened to Bach's Art of Fugue, right? I know, it is so good you can't give it a rating :)

• Film Log   3 weeks 1 day ago

Yes! Looking forward to this :)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks for the insights into "The Blessed...". I'll give it another eval today/tonight and see if I find it to be more compelling than before. Note regarding my criteria: a work doesn't have to be "moving" -- that's just one form of expression that floats my boat. It can convey any emotional experience, whether it's apathy or angry or excitement/enthusiasm or grief-stricken or overwhelming beauty or or or or or or, etc etc etc -- any expression of emotion or group of expressed emotions/experience or group of experiences -- the degree that it's powerfully and/or compellingly conveyed (high degree of both is the ultimate) -- think you get the idea :)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 2 days ago

I completely understand, while I really like Giovani's brand of Gothicism he is not necessarily the most moving of painters. I agree with everything you say about St Anthony Tempted. That said, I love The Blessed the most: its freakish and sinister claustrophobic space, the ominous, black doorway, the bizarre way the person emerges out of the wall (the whiteness of his arms blending into the ground)... The rigid geometry of the two buildings serves as a perfect counterpoint to the scene's action. The background may be conventional, but its fiery intensity adds to the strangeness of the scene, and echoes Ranieri's halo. Also the absurd cloud-like formation in the place of his legs gives him an unsettling sense of motion, which I find peculiar given that his other compositions are often so stiff and static. Even those running within the painting are decidedly inelastic, which throws into relief Ranieri's movement, giving the work an alluring tension.

I'm glad returning to La Meninas was profitable; Velasquez must have had one of those visitations of the muse...