• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks, maybe I'll listen to it on Christmas then :-)

• Greatest Works of Art of All Time (In-Progress: Currently Featuring Rock, Jazz, Classical Music, Films, Paintings & Miscellaneous 2-D Visual Art)   3 weeks 1 day ago

If there's an issue of time, maybe try a few shorter novels first? Like these:

Notes from Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
    The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - R.L. Stevenson
    The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll

One or two of these might be 8.8+, all of them are probably 7.3+ at least.

• Spam Patrol   3 weeks 1 day ago

2014-10-04: 175 accounts
    2014-10-03: 133 accounts
    2014-10-02: 159 accounts
    2014-10-01: 141 accounts
    2014-10-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

I think "Little Doll" ranks with their best, even if it might be a "1969" re-write. I love how the fourth line of each verse jars with the earlier melody. Not as good as the Spacemen 3's cover though..

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   3 weeks 1 day ago

Only because I haven't started adding albums below 8.3 (unless I just recently listened to one). But I'll get to those soon (I think!). On another note: after some recent listens, Parable of Arable Land very well could be #1 ahead of Black Saint (not overall, but in this category). It's a toss up between those two, really.

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   3 weeks 1 day ago

Literally lol'ed at that.

More seriously: how is Atari Teenage Riot's 1995 (aka Delete Yourself!) not here?

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 2 days ago

Oh, it's certainly a good track, it works well as an alternate take on their usual "nihilistic vibe" as you mentioned. I like the songs on the second side too, especially No Fun, but I just think it's kinda annoying that all the best songs are at the beginning. Hell, even No Fun is right at the beginning of the second side!

Yeah it would've been a great EP, like You Made Me Realise...or Tremolo.

• Favorite TV Shows   3 weeks 2 days ago

What's your opinion of Sherlock?

• 80's and 90's Children's TV Shows   3 weeks 2 days ago

What about "Shining Time Station" ?

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 2 days ago

In their defense, I think they did a much better and more tolerable "failed experiment" than many of the bands from the late 60's/early 70's. It's not a noisy mess, it's just very repetitive. The nihilistic vibe fits pretty nicely with the other songs. It doesn't completely ruin the album like Vergegenwartigung on Popol Vuh's Aguirre or Soup on Can's Ege Bamyasi (both are just completely unnecessary, overlong and irrelevent to their albums).

No Fun and Not Right are gloriously sick and powerful. The original 5 songs would've made an EP of the highest quality like You Made Me Realise .

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 3 days ago

Those two are good, thanks! I should explore jazz more deeply sometime.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 3 days ago

Oh, I get it now XD

You're right about that; and it's a nice experiment for the band. Pity it's slightly too long and the songs on the second side aren't nearly as great as 1969 and I Wanna Be Your Dog. I guess the album should've just consisted of the 5 songs which the band originally included.

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   3 weeks 4 days ago

I listened to the original Bat Chain Puller today. Blew my mind. I think that it's one of his best albums. I wonder what your opinion on the album would be.

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 5 days ago

Isabelle Adjani's performance in Zulawski's Possession is the only one I'd probably rate above Dern's Inland Empire. It's so incredible it's difficult to believe what you're actually witnessing.

• Who's your favorite #1 DJ of all time? (DJ Mag)   3 weeks 5 days ago

PvD
    Sasha
    Oakenfold
    Digweed
    Carl Cox
    Tiesto
    Armin van Buuren
    David Guetta
    Hardwell

• My Top 50 Albums   3 weeks 5 days ago

Is that the Beach Boys' Smiley Smile or Brian Wilson's Smile or the Smile Sessions or ...?

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 5 days ago

The scene where she finally confronts the Phantom, oh man... I can never get that image out of my head. Yes quite possibly the most genuinely terrifying movie ever. Cathartic, too. As mentally devastating as it was, I got a really deep positive vibe as the film reached towards the end. The ending credits scene was totally fitting. Genius.

I feel like the movie is as much Dern's as it is Lynch's. I'm not a movie buff but I'd be really surprised to ever see someone perform better than her in Inland Empire.

I'm gonna watch it again tonight!

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 5 days ago

So the album grew on you too! :) Even the weird songs work well in the context. I love the album's general mood. It's very sensitive yet totally robust... I gotta re-listen to it some time. It's been a while.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 weeks 5 days ago

Faces in the Water

Fascinating, written from the perspective of the patient inside a mental institution. I particularly liked how the writing described her state of mind, progressing from tangential and grandiose, unintelligible at times to a clear chronology of events occurring and recognition of the suffering of both herself and the other inpatients.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 weeks 5 days ago

# 46! Goal exceeded for this year!!

Finnish Girl

A relatively short book, perhaps too ambitious for the length. The author attempted to cram in explanations of several major political events along with a richly detailed and confusing family history presented in multiple viewpoints and generations. Understandably, the story felt disjointed and the thread of plot was difficult to follow when overshadowed by other elements. This style of writing (beginning with one narrator, then switching to another and another) can be extremely effective, but the difficult task of demonstrating the interconnectedness of those tales was lacking.

Encapsulated, it is the story of Lempi's life from childhood through to her death. It is the story of a first-generation American, a child of Finnish immigrants who settled in rural Wisconsin. It is also the story of her parents, her brothers, her husband, and her child. The novel could also be seen as commentary on the heredity of mental health issues, and a chronological explanation of political unrest including the Red Scare and anti-war movements. Oh, and also a look at life in Stalinist USSR.

There were also several proofreading errors, which really jars the fluidity of the story (at least for me).

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 weeks 5 days ago

Sinner

Fantastic story set in medieval Scotland, very reminiscent of The Master and Margarita, in which the devil takes the guise of a friend, and convinces the main character to commit worse and worse acts.
    In this case, the devil befriends the second (illegitimate) son of a Laird, who eventually kills his brother and parents and assumes ownership of the family holdings, only to be undone by deceit.

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 weeks 5 days ago

Burger's Daughter

Experimentally written perspective of Rose-Marie Burger, daughter of Communists who fought against the Aparthied in South America. Someone else (on Goodreads) stated it well, that this has a "complete lack of book-bound solutions for book-invoked problems". It seems like an honest description of the choice each person made during the Aparthied, to participate or not, to stand up or not.

And really, how can the solution for such a complex real-world problem be dealt with within the confines of a novel?

• What misscurly read in 2014...   3 weeks 5 days ago

Glass Bead Game

I've spent a great deal of time reading this novel, and I still cannot conclusively explain what it is about, or more importantly: what the glass bead game is.
    I can explain elements of the game; symbols used to describe concepts within various academic fields, transcribed onto glass beads. Why would you do it? Operating under the assumption there is one "answer" to the universe, linking unrelated disciplines would bring one closer to that universal answer. It would also spark advances within each of those disciplines. The competition would come in a chess-like turn-taking to get from the starting tenet to the end. Except, in the world of the story, the game he become so ritualized that the pathway from start to finish is already laid out before the players begin. There are no players taking turns at a puzzle; The Master simply transcribes the symbols, and the spectators ooh and ahh. The elite players explain there is no universal truth; so why are they trying to compare the essentially incomparable? The game becomes a symbol itself for the stagnated world of Castalia, where nothing new is created, only pointlessly repeated for the sake of preservation. This central and essential concept is never fully fleshed out, much to the detriment of the story. Without a meatier explanation of why their world has become so ritualized, we are left with the posthumous story of Joseph Knecht and his meteoric ascent to Master of the game, a position which he resigns on learning of its vapidness, then goes away and dies quietly. (This nugget of plot being hidden amongst hundreds of pages of descriptive blather)
    If Hesse's intention was to leave so much unexplained, he could have written a much shorter book

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 6 days ago

I agree, Inland Empire is possibly the most genuinely terrifying film ever made. There might be films that get more cheap "frights" and "jumps" on the first viewing, but I've seen Inland Empire several times, and it is never less than deeply unsettling. Really puts you up close and inside Dern's character (greatest acting performance in screen history?)

• Who's your favorite #1 DJ of all time? (DJ Mag)   3 weeks 6 days ago

Rank them in order in the comments section. Here's mine:
    1.) Sasha