• The 70 best ski jumpers from 2010 to today   12 weeks 2 days ago

Jernej Damjan

BEST OF THE REST
    Simon Ammann, Switzerland
    Emmanuel Chedal, France
    Denis Kornilov, Russia
    Dimitry Vassiliev, Russia

• Jonathan Rosenbaum Essential Cinema (+ 2008 and 2016 additions)   12 weeks 3 days ago

In case anyone is still reading this......

I just added the titles Jonathan Rosenbaum added to this list in the newest Korean edition of the book. These are the 60 new titles:

Too Much Johnson (unfinished) (1938), Orson Welles () ()
    Five Graves to Cairo (1943), Billy Wilder () ()
    Obyknovennyy fashizm (1965), Mikhail Romm () ()
    Hawaii (1966), George Roy Hill () ()
    The Wire (2002), several () ()
    Juventude Em Marcha (2006), Pedro Costa (Collected) (Seen)
    Chacun son cinéma ou Ce petit coup au coeur quand la lumière s'éteint et que le film commence (segment "At the Suicide of the Last Jew in the World in the Last Cinema in the World") (2007), David Cronenberg () ()
    My Winnipeg (2007), Guy Maddin () ()
    Er shi si cheng ji (2008), Zhangke Jia () ()
    Les plages d'Agnès (2008), Agnès Varda () ()
    Momma's Man (2008), Azazel Jacobs () ()
    Of Time and the City (2008), Terence Davies () ()
    Helsinki, ikuisesti (2008), Peter von Bagh () ()
    Les herbes folles (2009), Alain Resnais () ()
    The Limits of Control (2009), Jim Jarmusch () ()
    Lowlands (2009), Peter Thompson () ()
    Borgen (2010), several () ()
    Chef d'oeuvre? (2010), Luc Moullet () ()
    Film socialisme (2010), Jean-Luc Godard () ()
    Get Out of the Car (2010), Mark Rappaport () ()
    The Hunter (2010), Rafi Pitts () ()
    Mistérios de Lisboa (2010), Raoul Ruiz (Collected) (Seen)
    Shi (2010), Chang-dong Lee () ()
    Toujours moins (2010), Luc Moullet () ()
    Loong Boonmee raleuk chat (2010), Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Collected) (Seen)
    Vapor Trail (Clark) (2010), John Gianvito () ()
    Copie conforme (2010), Abbas Kiarostami (Collected) (Seen)
    Impardonnables (2011), André Téchiné () ()
    Margaret (2011), Kenneth Lonergan () ()
    Nightfall (2012), James Benning () ()
    Le quattro volte (2010), Michelangelo Frammartino () ()
    Road to Nowhere (2010), Monte Hellman () ()
    Terri (2011), Azazel Jacobs () ()
    Bernie (2011), Richard Linklater () ()
    The Forgotten Space (2010), Noël Burch + Allan Sekula () ()
    Hannah Arendt (2012), Margarethe von Trotta () ()
    Holy Motors (2012), Leos Carax (Collected) (Seen)
    Stories We Tell (2012), Sarah Polley () ()
    A torinói ló (2011), Bela Tarr (Collected) (Seen)
    The Unspeakable Act (2012), Dan Sallitt () ()
    Vous n'avez encore rien vu (2012), Alain Resnais () ()
    Coming to Terms (2013), Jon Jost () ()
    Gloria (2013), Sebastián Lelio () ()
    Locke (2013), Steven Knight () ()
    Man Made Place (2012), Yu-Shen Su () ()
    Museum Hours (2012), Jem Cohen (Collected) (Seen)
    Adieu au langage (2014), Jean-Luc Godard () ()
    Citizenfour (2014), Laura Poitras (Collected) (Seen)
    Xi you (2014), Ming-liang Tsai () ()
    The Owners (2014), Adilkhan Yerzhanov () ()
    Pasolini (2014), Abel Ferrara () ()
    Words and Pictures (2013), Fred Schepisi () ()
    Ex Machina (2015), Alex Garland () ()
    Cavalo Dinheiro (2014), Pedro Costa () ()
    I, Dalio (2015), Mark Rappaport () ()
    No Home Movie (2015), Chantal Akerman () ()
    Saul fia (2015), Laszlo Nemes () (Seen)
    The Thoughts That Once We Had (2015), Thom Andersen () ()
    Today (2014), Seyyed Reza Mir-Karimi () ()
    Wake: Subic (2015), ? () ()

Now my count is this:

Collected: 1060/1140
    Seen: 1061/1140
    (I've seen Saul Fia in cinema, but it's not in my collection)

I guess I've got some work to do......

• Greatest Post-Punk Songs   12 weeks 3 days ago

It's been a while since I last listened to it and I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing in one sitting either. But it's a fun album. I wouldn't call Sandinista post-punk, more like a pop punk album that flirts with a lot of different styles, occasionaly producing great catchy songs (Police on my Back, Charlie Don't Surf, etc.). I've been trying to avoid catchiness on this list, though.

Listening to it now, 'Ivan Meets GI Joe' could actually be on this list.

• 1001 Books to read Before You Die (updated list)   12 weeks 3 days ago

The Outsider French - Albert Camus (why include 'French'?)

• They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?: 1,000 Greatest Films: 2003 edition onwards   12 weeks 4 days ago

Now up to date to 2016.

• Greatest Post-Punk Songs   12 weeks 4 days ago

Speaking of post-punk, do you like Sandinista! ? I've tried several times (mostly with not much success) to get into it.

• 100 Greatest Science Fiction Films   12 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen Moon, yet. I've been meaning to, and I'll bump it to the top of my to watch list. Same with The Fountain and Cloud Atlas. I enjoyed Gravity, but not sure if it would qualify as science fiction; more like a thriller set in space.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   12 weeks 5 days ago

I'm heavily focused on classical masterpieces right now and updating my accompanying lists, so I'm not sure how soon Ill get back to you regarding Mezzanine.

I agree with your insights on A Love Supreme. Overall, a key element for me, is: Along with the sheer gravity, spiritual invocation and emotional intensity of the performance, Coltrane and his band are passing through different ethnic/cultural states as well which gives the impression of rapid streams of consciousness, a sort of "call" to God across successive parts of the world.

• 100 Greatest Science Fiction Films   12 weeks 5 days ago

Nice list, totally agree with the top 5. Definitely a few on here I'm going to put on my to-watch list. I can't really think of that many additions that I'd make. Maybe Moon (2009). The Fountain or Cloud Atlas if those count. Gravity, maybe?

• SOCCER OF THE NEW MILLENNIUM   12 weeks 5 days ago

2003 and 2007 were the best. Guess why.

• SOCCER OF THE NEW MILLENNIUM   12 weeks 5 days ago

I like the 2012 Champions League

• 1001 Books to read Before You Die (updated list)   12 weeks 5 days ago

Virginia Woolf, not Viginia.

• 1001 Books to read Before You Die (updated list)   12 weeks 5 days ago

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson with a P.

• 1001 Books to read Before You Die (updated list)   12 weeks 5 days ago

Frankenstein is by Mary Shelley with an E.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   13 weeks 14 hours ago

I finally listened to a full album after a long hiatus: A Love Supreme. I wrote down some thoughts I had after listening to it; I'm not asking for "corrections" on them, but some feedback and how you feel about the album.

Part 1 - the cymbals at the start sounded supernatural/mysterious, like an entrance/gateway to a heavenly dimension or metaphysical state
    - the repetition of the melody: to affirm an instrumental "mantra"
    -using different, interchangeable notes to repeat it was to express that people of all backgrounds were (taking turns) chanting
    Part 3 - the reprise of a melody from Part 1
    - I thought to myself, "Why in this song is each instrument given its own lengthy improv(?) solo?"
    Part 4 - each note from the sax and drum were more spaced out -- the atmosphere gave off a feeling of revelation: either an epiphany or a confirmation of an initial belief (faith in God?)

And, to narrow down your thoughts on Mezzanine, in particular, how do you feel about Risingson? It's probably my favorite track as of now.

• Greatest Post-Punk Songs   13 weeks 1 day ago

Love those ones.

• Music Notes   13 weeks 3 days ago

I'll listen to those and his other albums too. He's amazing. This is priceless:

Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman
    You only call her a bitch because she won't let you get that pussy
    Maybe she didn't feel y'all shared any similar interests
    Or maybe you're just an asshole who couldn't sweet talk the princess

• Music Notes   13 weeks 3 days ago

Yeah tbh I'm not really feeling it. It's alright, and maybe it will grow on me, but right now I'm feeling pretty unimpressed with the whole thing.

Labor Days is great, but be sure to check out Float and Bazooka Tooth as well. None Shall Pass is probably still my favorite Aesop Rock song tho. He also appeared in a track on Busdriver's fantastic album Perfect Hair, which shares a lot of the same style with Aesop's hip-hop if you want something similar.

• Music Notes   13 weeks 3 days ago

That Future song is pretty smooth.

TLOP is growing on me big time. I think the shorter Madison Square Garden version was a more compact and meaningful statement. On the other hand, the final version has more good songs. Because of Chance's awesome verse on Ultralight Beam, I listened to his Acid Rap mixtape. It's awesome.

• Music Notes   13 weeks 4 days ago

The new Kanye is beautiful imo. I'm still taking it all in, but am loving it so far. "30 Hours" is my favourite.

You guys Future fans? I like his recent stuff a lot. Nothing particularly ambitious or insightful, but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Music Notes   13 weeks 4 days ago

I can see Dreamtime Return being in the top 5 of a legit list. When I heard it the first, I was mainly a rocker and didn't care much for synthesizers. This time around though... it's magnificent.

I'll get into both Cut Chemist and Jurassic 5. I haven't heard either. The new Kanye album had an insane rollout that I followed since a month ago and it kinda ruined the album for me (and I guess the majority of people who followed) on first listen. After listening again, I think it's pretty good. I'm still unsure about the whole album but there are songs on it that you wouldn't want to miss. Compared to his previous albums, it's the the most schizophrenic thing he's done, batshit crazy on song and quite and introspective on the next. It also has the most amount of silence in any Kanye album. I haven't sensed any main theme in it so far. There are flashes of genius in places but to me it doesn't sound as inspired and hard-hitting as Yeezus. It's more like a really awkward MBDTF or way too experimental Graduation. He's seeking redemption and it doesn't flow as naturally as last time around when he wanted to wreak havoc with Yeezus using basically the same aesthetics. If you don't feel like listening to the whole thing, check out Ultralight Beams, Famous and FML.

He just announced that he's going to release new songs. The album itself is only available on Tidal and he might change the album as well.

• Music Notes   13 weeks 5 days ago

Personally, Dreamtime Return is in my top 5, so it's good to see other people coming around to it.

How would you say the new Kanye album compares to his previous work? I haven't heard it yet but it seems like everyone else has.

If you haven't heard it yet I would suggest Cut Chemist: The Audience's Listening--great instrumental hip-hop by the producer behind Jurassic 5. It's been one of my favorites for a few years now but I feel like most people don't know about it. If you can only check out one track off the album make it 'Spoon'.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   13 weeks 6 days ago

New additions:

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
    Cannibal Corpse - The Cold Vein
    Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah (This one has never failed to amaze me and my appreciation for it only keeps growing. One of his best for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone called it the best Mingus album)
    De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate (Right now I think this one is even better than 3 Feet and De La Soul is Dead. Stakes Is High is pretty great as well. Like Public Enemy, De La Soul are one of the greatest bands ever in all genres)
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (Rakim is as great as a rapper can be. Their next two albums are great too, but this one has a charisma that you can't find anywhere else. Even the instrumental tracks on this one are good. If you've already heard this one, check out the first 3 tracks on their next album Follow the Leader. Legendary stuff.)
    Face Candy - Waste Age Teen Land (If your general impression of hip hop is dumb repetitive sampled beats plus random talking, this album will blow your mind. There's NONE of that here, and it's all improvised! Special thanks to kcronos and his list where this album is currently a 10/10.)
    J Dilla - Donuts
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (Very few post rock albums accomplish the majestic beauty they aim for. This one actually does.)
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death (The only problem is that the fatalism is deeply psychotic. Other than that, it's perfect. It's like he found the right balance between the poppy singles and the street songs on Ready to Die for 2 discs in a row)
    Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return
    William Onyeabor - Atomic Bomb

• Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2012 Updated List) - Ones I Own   13 weeks 6 days ago

Wow, I can't believe how much progress I've made since I first made this list!

• 2016 Film Tracker   14 weeks 20 hours ago

Thanks for the rankings! I was wondering if Hail Caesar! was going to be good or if it was hype. Now I won't be so nervous about it. It does look fun.