• Favorite Albums   3 weeks 3 hours ago

I think their music is about some of the most depressing areas of life but it has a palliative effect. The Smiths or Nick Drake by comparison seem to make more simply depressing music, which, ultimately, in my opinion, makes it not as good. Some of Kozelek's inspirations seem to be the Smiths (at the very least), American Music Club, and (maybe) Joni Mitchell, but not Nick Drake.

• Citizen Kane-Welles (1941) -- Full Review & Analysis - PART 3 (IN PROGRESS)   3 weeks 3 hours ago

Thanks, much easier said than done! :)

You may have noticed I've recently been returning to film. This means a good possibility I'll get re-inspired to complete this. That plus I need to have a chunk of continuous time to do it (not 10 min here, 10 min there, but more like 2-3 hour slots). That has been a challenge.

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   3 weeks 5 hours ago

You're right. What a great rock album. Sounds classic.

• Citizen Kane-Welles (1941) -- Full Review & Analysis - PART 3 (IN PROGRESS)   3 weeks 10 hours ago

For the love of God, finish this. It's pretty good.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   3 weeks 10 hours ago

This is so great. I've been wanting to listen to different performance of each contrapunctus and you've provided me with a goldmine. Thanks, man.

I remember hearing Gould's contrapunctus I through your youtube channel a few months ago. Heading back there tonight for the rest.

• Favorite Albums   3 weeks 10 hours ago

Few rock as hard as Jesus Lizard. I recommend their Pure EP to anybody who likes their music. One of the finest, most hilarious pieces of agressive punk/experimental music.

Speaking of punk, do you like the Ramones? I don't remember seeing their debut in your lists.

• Favorite Albums   3 weeks 10 hours ago

Nice one. I've listened to it only a few times and I too think I'll like it. I love Mistress, the piano version.

Am I wrong in thinking that Red House Painters makes the best depressive music ever? Their songs feel sympathetic in the bleakest of times.

• Favorite Albums   3 weeks 10 hours ago

It's #28. I hope #46 wasn't a placeholder for something I've forgotten to include.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 1 day ago

We have lots of moves this update. First place was strongly held by schwabe who seems to be seeking a place with 3 films per day. We shall see. Tom_elce slipped out of the 2 films per day to lead the 1 film per day group. Kaplan performed a great leap of 36 films to move from the bottom line of 4th place to a strong 3rd place. McJoJo followed suit, leaving 9th place in the dust and claiming 4th. Dashforcover slid tightly next to danvers, moving from 7th to 5th place. Mamushka leapfrogged over Puzzgal yet, because of moves by others, remained 8th. Nukuakofa joined the ranks of 1 film per day reaching 39 films and 9th place. Ultimo Lee joined Puzzgal in a tie for 10th place while LukeRobot joined julesyoung for lucky 13th place and AJDaGreat joined Tatum at 16th. Guardianryoga slid neatly into 15th place. Laivaren rose smartly from 20th to 18th. Kgracetasticsake pushed skullduggerish out of 23rd to hold that position alone.

For this update, the group logged 281 films, bringing our grand total to 838. Our next update may or may not be next week. So it will be either February 15 or February 22. For the number of movies, February 15 would require 46 and 92 while February 22 would require 53 and 106 for 1 film per day and 2 films per day, respectively. Happy watching and I'll see you in 1 or 2 weeks.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah :-) I'll probably watch it again in the near future to ensure it's exact rating, but it's almost certainly a masterpiece in my estimation!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 1 day ago

I watched Conspirators of Pleasure too, after seeing that you did. What a penetrating movie!

• Film Log 2015   3 weeks 1 day ago

Pretty impressive... dont burn out ;)

• My Favorite Albums and EPs (8+/10)   3 weeks 2 days ago

Nice! It's a great feeling to have even 2 albums at that level to choose from -- especially with how rare they are!

Re: the way you want to live ... Me too!

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order   3 weeks 2 days ago

The first four tracks: One More Time, Aerodynamic, Digital Love, Harder Better Faster Stronger.

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (ARCHIVED)   3 weeks 2 days ago

Whoops x2! Thanks x2!

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (ARCHIVED)   3 weeks 2 days ago

Just saw that when I checked out your (also great) list! Thank you!

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order   3 weeks 2 days ago

Side A of Discovery? What does that include?

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order   3 weeks 2 days ago

You're welcome! Just paying it forward. Thanks to Scaruffi for introducing me to most of those and many others :-)

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (ARCHIVED)   3 weeks 2 days ago

This list is great. I mentioned you, AfterHours, in a comment on my favorite albums list on this site.

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order   3 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks to AfterHours, who made a favorite albums list on this site which got me into Faust, Faust IV, Coltrane's Ascension, Paul Bley's Improvisie, Richard Dawson's Nothing Important, Tim Buckley's Starsailor, Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, Xiu Xiu's La Forêt, and Cecil Taylor's Unit Structures.

• My Favorite Albums and EPs (8+/10)   3 weeks 2 days ago

It used to be, but right now I'm pretty sure Black Saint is superior. ITAOTS has more emotional resonance due to its themes but Black Saint is a whole drama by itself, full of soul searching moments, frustration, yearning, danger, and demonic and reckless dances, and each one of these is magnified and brought to the surface for all to view/listen to. I guess what it boils down to is that I like the flexibility of instrumentals more than anything a great pop album can provide. But I love both of them, and they both represent for me, along with Trout Mask Replica, the way I want to live: always active, getting the most out of every moment. I think Black Saint represents the "always active" aspect the best, because of the fluidity in the way it progresses.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   3 weeks 2 days ago

Like Tristan and Isolde, there isn't a hors concours recording of the last work of Bach.
    For Contrapunctus I I love Gould live interpretation (the one where you can hear a bird in the beginning of the video)
    For Contrapunctus II Gould is my favourite one.
    Contrapunctus III: Robert Hill or Kenneth Gilbert
    Contrapunctus IV: Gould on mad piano '60 live tv broadcast
    Contrapunctus V: Gilbert
    Contrapunctus VI: Gould on organ
    Contrapunctus VII: Koroliov by far
    Contrapunctus VIII: Gilbert or Leonhardt
    Contrapunctus IX: Gould or Gilbert
    Contrapunctus X: Moroney
    Contrapunctus XI: Gould or Gilbert
    Contrapunctus XII: Walcha
    Contrapunctus XIII: rectus dunno, inversus Gould
    Canons: very hard to make a choice here
    Contrapunctus XIV: absolutely Gould

• My Favorite Albums and EPs (8+/10)   3 weeks 2 days ago

Alas, it's a tough choice, isn't it?

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   3 weeks 2 days ago

Or The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

• Favorite albums   3 weeks 2 days ago

The Good Son has a lot of spiritual and religious significance that you have to connect with to appreciate the album. It should take multiple listens. Try to engage imaginatively with the less tuneful songs and more abstract imagery - picture the drama; create the scene of his agony. Every song is intensely emotional. It should be noted the way the album moves repeatedly between fatalism and the sense of will. The deep voice of Cave conjures a holy presence. The beautiful melodies create eternal consideration. The overall effect is one of mournfulness on the precipice of the future. What makes the album so great is its humanity.