• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 1 day ago

Re: Revolver ...

First off, the album did not improve for me (sorry). While an upgrade from their earlier material and maybe a mild upgrade from Hard Days Night and Rubber Soul, the album lacks depth. The instruments are almost never played with emotional conviction (relative to hundreds/thousands of superior artists/songs). They usually follow casually along with the voice(s) (with some excursions here and there), usually gently, or at best, with medium effort/conviction (with some brief exceptions). The vocals are almost all generic or uninspired (some exceptions). The experiments come off as passing novelties are almost all rather weak in terms of purpose and execution (relative to what's on my list). There isn't much musical environment expressed; the sounds are generally thin and limited to basic usages of the instruments or minimal excursions. The only track I truly find interesting is Tomorrow Never Knows, but even that is limited by its "incomplete" running time before it builds to something greater. Most of the tracks feel rushed to end before they get anywhere approaching significance. Some songs are especially boring and are some of the worst of their career (Here, There and Everywhere, Yellow Submarine, Good Day Sunshine) and end up being pretty insignificant next to the likes of, say, Stevie Wonder's best, The Beach Boys best or Dogbowl/Zappa. The best songs are Tomorrow Never Knows and I'm Only Sleeping. The rest are mediocre at best, really boring at worst (Eleanor Rigby and Love You Too are probably exceptions. Maybe She Said She Said and And Your Bird Can Sing too).

One can compare it to some other albums/songs, which (imo) make its lack of depth/relative mediocre quality stand out further.

1. "Taxman" ---> Stands for Decibels by DBs. Or, pretty much any upbeat, bouncy, exciting song by Arcade Fire, or TV on the Radio
    2. "Eleanor Rigby" ---> Not a bad song but Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left is WAY better. The songs are much more full bodied and powerful experiences. Try River Man for example
    3. "I'm Only Sleeping" ---> Barrett's songs from Piper, or his solo albums are generally equal or superior
    4. "Love You To" ---> Good song but their own Within You Without You from Sgt Pepper is a much better song. It has more conviction, more evocative and complete experience
    5. "Here, There and Everywhere" ---> The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, for instance Dont Talk Put Your Head on my Shoulder
    6. "Yellow Submarine" ---> practically anything by Zappa or from Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain
    7. "She Said She Said" ---> Stone Roses debut
    8. "Good Day Sunshine" ---> Beach Boys best songs, such as off Pet Sounds, are much better (Wouldn't it Be Nice, etc)
    9. "And Your Bird Can Sing" --> Decent song but try, say, The Stone Roses debut. Blows this away...
    10. "For No One" ---> Any good Tim Buckley song. Song to the Siren for starters... Or, an easier comparison could be to any of the slow songs from, say, Decemberists' Picaresque or Castaways and Cutouts. Try From My Own True Love (Lost at Sea) or Eli the Barrow Boy for starters...
    11. "Doctor Robert" ---> The chorus is kind of cool but can't rescue an otherwise bland, uninspired song ... DBs Stands for Decibels, The Feelies Crazy Rhythms
    12. "I Want to Tell You" ---> Again, DBs Stands for Decibels
    13. "Got to Get You into My Life" ---> Several Stevie Wonder songs are easily superior. The Beatles own Oh Darling is much better.
    14. "Tomorrow Never Knows" ---> Easily the best song on Revolver ... However, something like Evol Intent's Era of Diversion is "only" 7.6/10 or so, yet features several portions that are at least equal or better than Tomorrow Never Knows. ... Or, like I've said before, Radiohead's National Anthem... Or, one could get really unfair and say My Bloody Valentine's Loveless

I have to go but I'll add more as soon as I can

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   5 weeks 2 days ago

I never listened to it all the way through. Same with April, Ghosts of the Great Highway, and Old Ramon. I'll give it a listen!

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   5 weeks 2 days ago

Do you like Songs for a Blue Guitar? Their cover of Silly Love Songs is one of my favorite jams ever.

• Favourite Poems   5 weeks 2 days ago

Leaves of Grass has been a must-read for me; among other reasons, because of its presence in your Favorites.

Thanks for both recommendations.

• Favorite books   5 weeks 2 days ago

Uncle Vanya and Three Sisters are a must of course.
    Yeah, obviously Shakespeare was better but Dr Faustus is quite entertaining in itself too.
    Have you read any other Oscar Wilde plays? I have a collection and I was wondering if you had an opinion to give before I check out the rest of the plays.

• Songs I Never Want to Hear Ever Again as Long as I Live   5 weeks 3 days ago

You could probably add a few Meghan Trainor songs to this list ;)

• Top 20 Items that 20-somethings should learn to master in the kitchen   5 weeks 3 days ago

Oh wow.....haven't been here in awhile!

Um....maybe chili? Or....any other type of soup :)

• The Hip Hop Phase   5 weeks 3 days ago

Right on :-)

• The Hip Hop Phase   5 weeks 3 days ago

I didn't know Cannibal Ox had a second album. I'll look into that. I like Straight Outta Compton, two Snoop albums and four Dalek albums but I can't say any one of them is a big favorite. At least not yet. I haven't heard untitled.unmastered and The Score but I want to hear both, specially the latter. Thanks.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 3 days ago

Makes sense, can you copy and paste what you said about Revolver?

Re: Dookie ... Thank you

• Favourite Poems   5 weeks 3 days ago

I would suggest Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself". The whole Leaves of Grass collection is great but that one in particular is sublime.

I also particularly like Tennyson's poem cycle "In Memoriam, A. H. H."

• Favorite books   5 weeks 3 days ago

I have yet to read any more Chekhov, although I would like to. He really is an amazing dramatist. Is there anything you would recommend? I have read Dr. Faustus and The Jew of Malta, it was a pretty enjoyable read, although I don't think it can really compete with most of Shakespeare's work.

• Favorite books   5 weeks 3 days ago

Have you tried other Chekhov plays? And Marlowe's Dr Faustus?

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 4 days ago

No big deal. And if I didn't think Revolver totally fits your criteria to an astonishing degree, I wouldn't bother with this conversation at all. I've already pointed out on Amir's page why it does. And your description of Dookie is spot-on, great album.

• Music Rankings & Notes   5 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, I actually dig the instrumentals (though I would agree that most of the vocal tracks are superior).

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 4 days ago

Sorry, I dont know how soon Ill get to it -- hopefully this weekend. My "real" life is very demanding. Although I choose not to go into it on this site, I will say that I work quite a bit and volunteer on various projects a combined 80+ hours per week, among spending time with friends and loved ones, etc. Although I generally keep things rolling along smoothly enough to where I can consistently find time to post updates here a couple times per day, including postings of analysis of music/film/paintings from time to time, this week has been a bit more demanding than most and I haven't been able to think with it. I am surprised My Criteria page hasnt done the trick though. I'm not sure why the early Beatles would seem like they fit into that. Keep in mind that it isn't until 7.3+ that an album starts more clearly representing my criteria in an extraordinary fashion, so something like Dookie (6.9/10) while really great, shouldn't be confused as an album I am claiming to be a historically extraordinary work of art. It is simply a great album from start to finish that never flags. It is relentlessly catchy, with great melodies, fantastic manic drum rolls, sudden rhythmic stops, starts etc, and guitars played between ferocious, emphatic and enthusiastic -- continuously for virtually its entire running time. Inside this frantic delirium is Billy Joe's stoned teenager vocals. The album evokes the stereotypical stoner that is disconnected from the action in his environment and that shirks responsibility all around him. Its both funny and exciting -- and one of the catchiest albums ever made at that.

Ill try and get around to the rest of our conversation on the weekend.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 4 days ago

Double post

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 5 days ago

Haha, ok.
    Waiting.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 5 days ago

Hehe, I just made it up :-)

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 5 days ago

Where's that from?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   5 weeks 5 days ago

Thank you, I probably will during this run through hip hop.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 5 days ago

I don't know why, my time is dry; the cuppeth runneth over, where is my four leaf clover?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   5 weeks 6 days ago

You need to revisit Yeezus asap, AH.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   5 weeks 6 days ago

Each day just goes so fast; you turn around, it's past ;)

• The Hip Hop Phase   5 weeks 6 days ago

Superb list. What do you think of Snoop's Doggystyle and Fugees The Score? And Straight Outta Compton?

Also, though Dalek might not be what you'd be into right now, they just might be -- overall -- the most extraordinary hip hop artists of all time.

Also, I checked out some tracks on Cannibal Ox's long awaited follow up to Cold Vein, Blade of Ronin (2015) and it seemed to be well worth listening to.

Kendrick Lamar's "untitled.unmastered" (from an interesting stew of leftovers off To Pimp a Butterfly) also seems like it has potential (based on one listen).