user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 6 days ago

Hey Amir, I've just re-listened to VDGG's Godbluff and sounded perfect. One of the most powerful prog rock albums i've heard (Crimson's Red comes to mind). I'd like to read your take on it.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, I don't doubt it re: The Who. I'll have to revisit it. This list is very much in-progress and wasn't meant to be a complete representation. It's more a matter of me listening (for the first time), or re-listening, to the albums. There's many Scaruffi 7's and 7.5's I haven't heard and there's a good chance they'd be represented here if they're pop, just based on the probability of me agreeing with him as I often do.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Still, The Who Sell Out has to be there.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 6 days ago

I've got to admit it's getting better. A little better.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 6 days ago

As burning doves flock from his sleeves :)

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 21 hours ago

BOOH 4 - featuring cosmic sound effects representing the "whoosh" sound as Meatloaf enters and exits hell.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 23 hours ago

Re: Byrds ... btw, Love's Forever Changes, partially influenced by the Byrds, is far far far superior imo

Haha re: Steinman... Bat Out of Hell IV? Is Jay-Z featured? I thought 1 was enough. The first one is pretty awesome as far as Olympian/pop/rock/melodrama goes.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 1 day ago

Updates: I don't quite consider Jagged Little Pill pop. I currently think it's between 7.4 - 7.6/10 though. Maybe if I stretched the definition enough I would (which one could argue I've already done with some other albums on here) ... Probably the same with Exile in Guyville -- though that one is a little bit closer call as a pop album imo. I'd probably rate it 7.3 or 7.4ish... Also I relistened to Younger than Yesterday and thought it might be a 7, but currently in the 6.5 range for me. I'll have to check out Odelay again. Been awhile on that one. I'd recommend Solex's Low Kick and Hard Bop, which seems influenced by it but is probably even better.

Also, to an earlier recommendation from some others, or maybe it was only cuki luvz u: I relistened to Odyssey and Oracle and found it to be probably under 7/10 -- probably in the 6/10 range for me.

• The Greatest Albums of All Time (in my opinion)   7 weeks 1 day ago

"No classical other than Part."

Why?

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah man. I guess Remain In Light is pop only in the "fun" sense. And if Jagged Little Pill counts than probably so should Liz Phair eh? Any more Jim Steinman stuff worth checking out? Bat Out Of Hell Part IV: Straight Outta Trenton, New Jersey? On a related note, I ended up rating Odelay much lower than I thought. Just a low 7. I think it's because the Dust Brothers-less stuff ruins the feel.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks, I'm not sure about Remain in Light or There's a Riot Goin On being pop (though the funk/soul/R & B side of things might allow them on here), but like you said "a stretch". I need to revisit Rundgren, Counting Crows, Kinks, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane and the Gram Parsons. If Jagged Little Pill is "pop" than it already deserves to be added (probably 7.5). I'll revisit it to see whether it's pop or not. I don't think I've heard the rest so I'll check them out.

• Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid: Three Films, One Man's Opinion... Comparing The Three Different Cuts(Now With Screenshots)   7 weeks 1 day ago

Amazing article. I just wish it had a quick summation of what the theatrical lacks. I don't want to watch it but it would be interesting to note how they butchered it.

The director cuts of this is up there as one of the most significant revised works along with Blade Runner. After watching the preview I can't imagine it any other way.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 1 day ago

I haven't heard that one yet, that's why my rating is not available. But um chhhhh.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 1 day ago

What's your opinion on Not Available? Although the first few minutes of Edweena never cease to amaze me, I always pause the album around the 6 minute mark (where the music almost stops and only the voices remain) and wish I had a lyric sheet. Unfortunately, I always forget to get one!

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   7 weeks 2 days ago

What do you think about their lyrics?

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   7 weeks 2 days ago

Rather than Pere Ubu, I sense more of a VU influence in River Euphrates. My first impression of this album was a 13-year-old Beefheart possessed by Lou Reed's ghost playing pop tunes :D I think they're a little underrated in the originality department. After all, no album before Surfer Rosa sounds very similar to it. Their level of energy and dynamic urgency remains specially unprecedented (not to mention the very enjoyable tonality that their peers have rarely come close to).

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 2 days ago

Throwing some more stuff out there, maybe a bit of a stretch for some...

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
    Decemberists - Castaways And Cutouts
    Counting Crows -August And Everything After
    Feelies - Crazy Rhythms (echoing above statement)
    Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks
    Peter Gabriel - So
    Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
    Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
    Ultravox - Ultravox!
    Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
    Sly And The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On
    Talking Heads - "More Songs" or "Remain In Light"
    Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
    * Gram Parsons -Sleepless Nights

* This is the Grievous Angel album under it's original title before Parson's wife had the cover photo changed and made sure to not include a few songs, both out jealousy over Emmylou Harris' inclusion. Let's presume that "Sleepless Nights" would have been included as track 1 (being the title-track) and that two other songs recorded but excluded would have been excluded anyway ("The Angels Rejoiced in Heaven Last Night" was explicitly rejected by Parsons and "Brand New Heartache" was the worst of 3 Felix/Bryant tunes, an excessive amount, the album being long enough ayway)

• Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time   7 weeks 2 days ago

Where the fuck is Patton Oswalt???

• Original - Books you should read if you want to consider yourself well-read   7 weeks 3 days ago

Hi, the Bible is on this list so I don't think you looked hard enough. It's listed under Anon as are works from other religions and cultures.

As for your other suggestions, this list is compiled from a bunch of other lists created by other people such as the Blue Pyramid List, 1001 Books to Read Before you Die, etc.

I think we have different opinions on what makes you well-read and I have no idea what you mean by 'banned'.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   7 weeks 3 days ago

I know it's not a Monday, but I was on the site anyway, so thought I'd take a shot at updating. Although McJoJo has pulled out, I've left him/her in for now, as (s)he's still in the Top Ten.

(7 June) (158 days)

1.(1) tom_elce 333 (27)
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 2 films/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 2 films/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    2.(2) mightysparks 272 (32)
    3.(3) loonapick 192 (7)
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 1 film/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 1 film/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    4. (6) dashforcover 158 (22)
    5. (4) Ultimo Lee 150 (10)
    6. (4) Tatum 146 (6)
    7. (7) Puzzgal 140 (6)
    8. (8) McJoJo 118 (0)
    9. (9) mamushka 112 (3)
    10. (11) Laivaren 102(6)
    11. (10) bpchicky 97 (0)
    12. (12) skullduggerish 98 (5)
    13. (15) julesyoung 91 (5)
    14= (14) danvers 89 (2)
    14= (13) kaplan 89 (0)
    16. (16) LukeRobot 74 (0)
    17. (18) guardianryoga 71 (7)
    18. (17) nyybella 68 (2)
    19. (19) mattmakins 63 (7)
    20. (20) Lendoxia 46 (2)
    21. (23) kgracetasticsake 30 (8)
    22. (21) nukualofa 28 (0)
    23. (22) hinterland 26 (1)
    24. (24) AJDaGreat 20 (0)
    25. (25) alberkin 16 (0)
    26. (26) aaliyah16 8 (0)

The only significant riser in the list is dashforcover who jumped two places from 6th to 4th. Laivaren leapfrogged bpchicky to take up a spot in the Top Ten. A few players have not registered any movies in the last few days, so it may be worth checking who's still taking part?

• Favorite Music   7 weeks 4 days ago

I love the idea of a more personal list :D

I used to like him too, before I ever seriously got into music. I like his greatest hits too, particularly the first two tracks of Off The Wall.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks I appreciate that. I'll give it another go :-)

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for the reminder to revisit that one. It should probably be on here, but I'll listen to it again soon to be sure.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, surprisingly I've never heard Crazy Rhythms even though I've intended to several times.