• Media Log 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

How much does the additional material in the Director's Cut raise the rating for you by the way?

• Media Log 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

Sounds close to my general recollection of it. "Intense/Invigorating" that's for sure! And boy, that last section of the film in the penitentiary...

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 6 days ago

Don't forget MJongo!

• Media Log 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

It was great. The constant attacks on television programs (the disturbing sitcom parody "I Love Mallory", the exploitation of violence on "American Maniacs" [Robert Downey Jr gives quite an entertaining performance], the editing style of the film which imitates the way television tries to hold viewers' attention) aside, it was quite a breathlessly intense experience. The last half hour in particular is one of the most invigorating sequences ever. And it was cool how visually the film represented its characters' mindsets. It's a bit of a smug and shallow film by my general standards but for what it's trying to do, it's brilliant.

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Are there any significant gaps in quality at certain points on your list or is it very gradual from top to bottom? Do you find Rock Bottom, VU and Nico and say, The Doors, far superior to the lower regions of your list, or still very close?

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Anytime! And I'm sure, judging by your intelligence and heightened ability to extract insights from these works, there will be more down the road :-)

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Yeah, I agree, and thank you for your responses.

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 6 days ago

Also, I think its important to be able/willing to change one's opinion/criteria if necessary, and not get too stifled by past observations in evaluating art. So I think its admirable that you're doing that, because it can be a difficult decision to make sometimes (every time?)

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Glad to be of assistance! :-)

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

AH's revisit of Happy Sad made me check my notes and find a typo! Thankfully, I did a quick scan and found no other errors (except those of judgement: )).

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Cool, it all makes sense now :) I also agree that Who's Next accomplishes a rather similar feat through different means and evocations (particular it's foray into electronics).

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

Btw, ever get the feeling that our conversations are a lost rough draft from the original script for Dogma?

• Media Log 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

What did you think of Natural Born Killers?

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

Bergman's use of distinctly medieval theatrical forms does not, for me, vindicate the fact that the film unfolds so plainly, and so simplistically. It's probably no coincidence that I found the few mystery and morality plays I've read to be dreck. I think The Seventh Seal and The Silence are comparable insofar as they are both emphatically about the silence of God. That the former has it's roots in dramatic traditions is dead on, and this is partially why I favour the latter. As you write, everything is portrayed literally and in the foreground: this lack of subtlety and sophistication is the film's greatest flaw.

I think we are in agreement about the nature of the film, though we obviously differ in our evaluation.

• #2 Singles In The UK   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you - I try to keep up with the charts every week so I have no idea how I missed that one!

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Regardless, I do want to say that, overall, this was an interesting conversation, and partially because of it, I revisited What's Going On some 15 times and considered it even more closely! :-)

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

I'll dispatch Kush. She's a huge fan of good 'ol Rut.

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

^This. I was going to respond but this pinpoints it better than I probably would have.

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

Bruegel's painting suffers from a tremendous lack of Rutger Hauer. I've been petitioning the world's top art restoration experts to correct this oversight on part of the artist, but I have yet to receive a response.

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

I actually prefer The Silence as well, but it's not really fair to compare the two; they're two very different languages of cinema.

The Seventh Seal is basically a minstrel act. As in medieval and Renassiance era minstrel shows or even Noh theater, the major themes are personified by costumed actors, the allegorical content right in the foreground and potrayed literally.

The Silence is more akin to Persona in that it is primarily concerned with the unspoken, or the "negative imprint".

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

Well, sounds to me like you "get" his paintings, despite limited exposure. I've always found The Seventh Seal to be doing a very similar thing with film art.

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

You're of course right, it's impossible to view the film with fresh eyes; but, forgetting its reputation, the film is--to me--remarkably unsubtle. Part of why The Silence succeeds where The Seventh Seal does not is, despite treading similar themes, because it is not weighed down by clumsy, pseudo-philosophical dialog, and its bleak visuals are far more expressive without seeming crude or clunky. For one who was not under the film's spell, Bergman seems to be constantly straining for profound significance and effect. However I recognize (and grudgingly accept!) that most people do not see the film in these terms at all. The Seventh Seal and La Dolce Vita get my vote for most overrated amongst the art house crowd; both filmmakers did much, much better work.

Will have to check The Mill and the Cross soon, and I recall seeing you mentioning Once Upon a Time in Anatolia the other day: that and Winter Sleep are high viewing priorities. Rewatching Climates was wonderful (though that's probably not the right word for that kind of movie)... what a filmmaker!...

• My Favorite Films   2 weeks 6 days ago

Wow, I really gotta watch what I say around here! What you're saying makes sense. There are thorny, unapproachable works out there that don't appear to be very deep. And then there are works out there that are very accessible that are tremendously deep. But, depending on one's perspective, a work's difficulty may not always entail grasping the compositional nature of its expression but perhaps also assessing its psychological depth itself. In this sense Beethoven's 9th, despite its compositional nature being relatively easy to comprehend in contrast to some of his other later works, may be the most difficult work to fully understand due to its astounding depth.

Also what a person may find "rewarding" doesn't necessarily have to entail it's depth but rather its form itself.

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

My exposure to Bruegel is relatively limited, but he struck me as one of those rare comic painters. Perhaps simplistic at first glance, though rich and complex when we more carefully scrutinize, "Peasant Wedding" is suffused with so many sharp and witty observations. There are a number of careful details that are presented so casually: empty jugs, red noses, ill-fitting clothes, a mass trying to get in, etc. "Children's Games" is similarly amusing, as it draws implicit parallels between infants and adults. The careless nature of both scenes really exhibit Bruegel's talent as a visual organizer. Of course there is another side to him, as well, evidenced by "The Blind Leading the Blind". His palette and sense of geometry beautifully express his themes...

• Film Log   2 weeks 6 days ago

Re: Mill and the Cross, thank you, I have to see it! How do you feel about Bruegel's painting? (to Marquee also, if he wants to provide his insight)