• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 5 days ago

Hmm, Graduation has the worst reputation of the bunch. I wonder what you'll think of it though.

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Sweet! Glad you dig it!

• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 6 days ago

Well, I find them useful; for example, this week's list brought Jenny Hval's new album, Built to Spill's All Our Songs, Drake's Energy, Kanye West's All Day, etc. to my attention.

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   6 weeks 6 days ago

I have checked it out actually; it is even included on my (archived) Favorite Albums list as well as my 2014 Media Log. And I totally agree with you about its quality; it is one of the best pop albums of all time.

• Underrated Albums   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, pretty much everything from his 2000s/2010s lists 7.5 on up, as most of them are overlooked by practically everyone else, are at least as extraordinary as most of what Ive heard here and seem no less qualified than the likes of Mirrored, Natural Snow Buildings and the other 7.5s/8s on here.

Yes, Live -- or any Spring Heel Jack -- would be very worthy additions!

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   6 weeks 6 days ago

If you haven't checked it out, I strongly recommend The Stone Roses self-titled. Its pretty much a perfect unification of pop and emotional transcendence, of melody and a sort of magical psychedelia, of 60s groups like The Beach Boys/Byrds/Beatles and several other flourishes.

• Favorite TV Shows   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you, that's quite a collision of influences. Makes it sound all the more intriguing of course!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you, I don't think I've heard of him. I'll see what I think.

You're right: Scaruffi says very little about him. It could be that he just hasn't gotten around to him yet, but who knows.

• Favorite TV Shows   6 weeks 6 days ago

Yes, lots: Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, Ocean's Eleven, My Dinner with Andre, etc. Lots of shows too: Law and Order, G.I.Joe, etc.
    Each of these has its own Community episode. Sometimes an episode is works based on a collage of different homages to different works.
    I can't properly describe how great it is. You have to see for yourself. If you intend to watch it, be patient with the first dozen of episodes. Around mid season 1 things start to get really psychedelic. The rest is consistently surprising and awesome.

• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 6 days ago

Right now I'd say: Yeezus, 808's and Heartbreak, Dark Fantasy, College Dropout and Late Registration. I haven't heard Graduation.

• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 6 days ago

Why would I want to preserve them? I'm just writing about the stuff I like each week. No need to get all weird and serious about it.

• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 6 days ago

How about making a separate page for the "Favorite songs of the week" lists where each of them can be preserved?

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   6 weeks 6 days ago

I haven't actually heard that one. My knowledge of Lou Reed's solo stuff is kinda spotty, but I should correct this as soon as possible.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 weeks 6 days ago

I'm curious about your take on Jandek's albums (my suggesstion is Six and Six). Are you familiar with him? He's one of the few weird, one of a kind singer/songwriters Scaruffi isn't interested in, apparently. I think his music and guitar playing is haunting, in a Skip Jamesian way.

• Underrated Albums   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the kind word but this list is in serious need of revision. There are so many obvious albums I should add (Live, Creature Comforts and Untilted off the top of my head).

Scaruffi rates most of these albums 6-7 or lower (or simply doesn't rate them). His decade lists are huge and each covers hundreds of albums from Aquarium to Metal Machine Music. I don't think they are used by anyone unless that person believes in nearly everything Scaruffi writes. Still, I understand that I could remove Half Machine Lip Moves and Days of Wine and Roses and Passion because they're well known in the hardcore Scaruffi crowd, but that's less than 10 people. These albums are still widely overlooked.

Any suggestions for the list?

• Music Ratings & Notes   7 weeks 7 hours ago

How would you rank Kanye's albums?

• Best Films of the 1990's   7 weeks 8 hours ago

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   7 weeks 8 hours ago

Lou Reed's Take No Prisoners has to be in there.

• Underrated Albums   7 weeks 9 hours ago

This is a great list and while I agree that these tend to go overlooked, doesn't Scaruffi highly recommend most of these? Even though his 9/10 list is very strict and these aren't on it, I can't think of a stronger proponent for several of these albums than he is... Most years, many of these are among the very best on his lists, while very few magazines/critics aside from him have paid them much attention.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   7 weeks 13 hours ago

What are your favourite tracks on Hairless Toys? And what do you think of Róisín Murphy's other work?

• Best Films of the 1990's   7 weeks 14 hours ago
  • Best Films of the 1990's   7 weeks 21 hours ago

Do you know where Marquee and I discussed Taste of Cherry?

• Favorite TV Shows   7 weeks 23 hours ago

I dont watch much TV but Seinfeld, Arrested Development and The Simpsons are all great. Does Seinfeld ever get old? I also find Family Guy pretty damn hilarious on the occasions I catch it. I liked The Office (US) quite a bit for its first few seasons, though I felt it sort of lost its touch after that (still entertaining though). Also, The Wire is really well made, excellent stuff, and I like what Ive seen of Mad Men. What's your opinion of those, if any?

Ive never heard of Community. Are there any films you would compare it to?

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   7 weeks 1 day ago

I feel like I must have listened to it earlier this year, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. I'll give it another listen soon, I enjoyed some of her earlier stuff.

• Best Films of the 1990's   7 weeks 1 day ago

I might. Either way, the 7.3-7.7 range will probably have little drop off. Probably some of the 7.3s but little, if anything, above that. Most of them are pretty accurate, maybe a decimal or two off here and there, but the vast majority will stay at or above 7.3.