• My Favorite Films   3 weeks 13 hours ago

Good to see you back Geo-J! I've been pretty busy on paintings, as you may have already seen. Also, I'm about to get rolling on some classical...

both are always open for discussion/suggestions ... hint hint :-)

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   3 weeks 13 hours ago

Thanks I havent heard Severe Exposure but the others might make the grade as I update this. It depends on where my cut off point is. I might go with 50, in which case, maybe 35 of the current entries will eventually survive -- but we'll see...

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   3 weeks 16 hours ago

"The first four minutes are repetitive" Hmm, I'd agree, that's the only flaw in the track. 01:30 would've been too short though :P

• My Favorite Films   3 weeks 16 hours ago

Nice list!

Some films not on the list that I think you'll enjoy:

Paul Thomas Anderson - Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
    Alfred Hitchcock - Vertigo (1958)
    David Lynch - Mulholland Dr. (2001)
    Orson Welles - Touch of Evil (1958)

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   3 weeks 16 hours ago

I'll be in again. Had been wondering if someone would take over.

Trick attempt
    Letterboxd

HE SCORES!!

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 17 hours ago

re:albums Lost Hwy resembles... maybe the ideal album would share Faust's/White Light White Heat's apocalyptic vision, but sung entirely from the point of view of the singer(s) in Good/Suicide?

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   3 weeks 17 hours ago

More suggestions:

Blues and Roots - Charles Mingus
    Half Machine Lip Moves - Chrome
    Severe Exposure - Six Finger Satellite
    Surfer Rosa - Pixies

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   3 weeks 17 hours ago

OK, I've set up the new list, unpopulated yet, of course, but once you know where your 2015 list will be, post it here: 2015 edition

For those of you who want to know the trick, I'll give a shot at explaining it.
    Where I have curley braces {} they need to be replaced with their equivalent angle brace <>. Where you see { put < and where you see } put > and that should be enough to work for the example

{a href="THE FULL HTTP ADDRESS"} WHAT PEOPLE CLICK TO GET TO THE PAGE {/a>}

{a href="http://www.listology.com/dashforcover/list/films-seen-listology-scoreboard-2015"} 2015 edition {/a>}

Let's hope the example worked. IT DID! Thar ya go!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   3 weeks 18 hours ago

I had nae thought of that! Great trick, guardianryoga

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   3 weeks 21 hours ago

Probably because they're overshadowed: great but pale in comparison to IV, and especially their debut.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 21 hours ago

Not sure if there is another work of music that poses such forceful, reckless, maniacal calamity aside from maybe Mantler's Jazz Composer's Orchestra and Sister Ray's climaxes (though even those aren't nearly as "reckless". They're polished by comparison. Parable is like one (nearly) continuous apocalyptic free fall of crushing monuments and debris, unstably collapsing and exploding all around the "protagonist" as "he" moves through/past it, the interspersed "songs" being documents of his insane state-of-mind throughout the madness. Yes, I recommend giving it another spin.

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   3 weeks 22 hours ago

"still atoning for Chinese Democracy..." LOL :D That kind of crap happens to all of us, you have nothing to atone for! :)

I'll keep Faust handy and see how Miss Fortune grows on me. Faust Tapes and So Far too. Those two albums barely get any love on listology. What's up with that?!

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 22 hours ago

Try Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman. It's danceable (techno, trance), it's melodic, and it single-handedly turned me into an "electronic dance music" enthusiast. Their "Second Toughest in the Infants" is equally amazing too!

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 22 hours ago

Haha, there are many albums on your "Invigorating Albums" list that would qualify as "danceable" in some way...the #1 album on the list especially! ;)

Still, an electronic dance album worth a 9 would be cool, no? One that's melodic but also relentlessly invigorating. An album full of songs like MBV's Soon perhaps.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 23 hours ago

Fist bump!

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 23 hours ago

Future Days a 10/10?

Hell yeah!!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 23 hours ago

That's pretty much true, apart from the title track I guess. I don't remember the second side all that well actually, perhaps it's time for a relisten for me as well!

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   3 weeks 23 hours ago

I didn't necessarily mean Y has a lot in common aesthetically with This Heat. More your description of what you like about it. And more that it blends similar genres (dub/musique-concrete/new wave ... Faust ... Can ... Pere Ubu ... ) but is much more "punk" that's for sure. This Heat is a bit closer to the "Faust" side of that equation (from memory) while Y is much closer to the Pere Ubu side -- though all genres merge in either one. But still, it's been years and I'll definitely have to give it another go (or 2, or 3).

By re-listening to it, I only mean, here and there, when you want to. No force-feeding, unless you dig that sort of self-flagellation of course!

No offense, but it's hard for me to stomach those ahead of Faust's debut (given we are, generally speaking, like-minded listeners), but then again, I suppose I'm still atoning for Chinese Democracy... ;-)

• Jazz Masterpieces   3 weeks 23 hours ago

What would your top 5 favorite jazz albums be?

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

I too heard This Heat once many years ago and forgot about it until 2014 (it sounded extremely harsh and abravise the first time around). You'd be pleasantly surprised 'cause there's very little in common between Y and This Heat except the "post-punk" tag (which in both cases only means they were released in the late 70's and they're very noisy).

I've never had the strength or inclination to keep listening to something over and over until I love it. So I'm eagerly looking forward to your review of Faust (or at least Miss Fortune ... tough one to review for sure). It doesn't feel good that there's nothing by Faust in my 9+/10 albums when even Arcade Fire and Beatles have made the cut!

• Favorite kinds of Food   3 weeks 1 day ago

That is nice. Thanks for your explanation

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   3 weeks 1 day ago

I would also like to keep playing.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   3 weeks 1 day ago

The link in the parentheses is the actual http address and the name inbetween "> and < is what you want the link to appear as. I hope this helps

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   3 weeks 1 day ago

I would love to take part again.

The best way to see how to make the HTML trick is to clone Kaplan's list and copy and paste the code.
    I tried to write it out here but that doesn't work too well.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 1 day ago

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea! If you're in that happy go-lucky-death-a-thousand-times-over kind of rhythm