• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 4   4 weeks 2 days ago

Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk
    Strange Days - The Doors
    Desertshore - Nico
    Bitches Brew - Miles Davis
    Children of God - Swans
    Nail - Foetus
    Good - Morphine
    Faust - Faust

Revolver - The Beatles
    Hosianna Mantra - Popol Vuh
    Uncle Meat - Frank Zappa

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 weeks 2 days ago

You go, Jo!

• Best Albums of the 2000's and 2010's   4 weeks 2 days ago

How did you find out about Last?

• Greatest Films of All Time   4 weeks 2 days ago

Planning on watching Mad Max: Fury Road?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 weeks 2 days ago

*Prepares battle axe and Netflix* See y'all next week

• Favorite movies   4 weeks 2 days ago

I can see why you would lower Nostalghia (though I personally don't mind the pessimism because I think the film partly makes up for it in its sincerity). It's the same reason I consider It's a Wonderful Life my favourite film.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 weeks 2 days ago

Pow. :)

• Favorite movies   4 weeks 2 days ago

Lowered Nostalghia for now because it seems too pessimistic...I now think Mirror is better not because I prefer it yet but because it seems objectively better: I think I should prefer it.

North by Northwest is back to #1: it seemed to lack the cultural barrier (or language barrier) theme in the rest of the top 4 (Nashville, Chinatown, Wild Bunch), until I realized Mr. Thornhill's inability to explain himself obviously is a metaphor for that. The wit makes the film explode.

The 80s films have dropped almost as a category: Tarkovsky and Angelopoulos were too pessimistic at times. Why should I be as pessimistic as them just because I admire their intellect?

• Spam Patrol   4 weeks 2 days ago

2015-05-09: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-05-08: 010 accounts, 04 comments, 01 pages
    2015-05-02: 001 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-05-01: 013 accounts, 13 comments, 02 pages

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 weeks 3 days ago

Update 14
    Tom_elce has again captured a place in the 2+ films per day group. Dashforcover passed kaplan as expected. Then Puzzgal leaped blithely over them both to secure 3rd place. Julesyoung rose to claim the 12th slot. We continue to have no ties. Good jobs all.

As a group we logged 178 movies in the week for a total of 3076 films. For the next update on 7 June, the numbers for 1, 2 and 3 films per day are 158, 316 and 474, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Greatest Prog Rock Songs   4 weeks 3 days ago

Listening to Deceit right now. Crazy good. Is Paper Hats on your list of best tracks? It should be.
    Is it Prog Rock? not of this sort, I think. It sure sounds progressive (unlike most of the songs on this list) but its territory is way too experimental and post-rock for the kind of symphonic/atmospheric prog I have here. Not that I care much about this list anymore. Ommadawn would probably bore me to tears now. The same with all the italian prog. Only Soft Machine, Yes and Genesis' The Musical Box hold up.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 5   4 weeks 3 days ago

Metal Box/A Love Supreme/Let it Be/Daydream Nation/Double Nickels On The Dime/Unit Structures/Irrlicht/Goat/& Nico/London Calling

Some notes:
    1. I admire many musical moments on Not Available, but the music doesn't engage me. Irrlicht is a classic "Scaruffi pick" I actually enjoy. An impressive aural representation of the dark deep space - both scary and majestic. And does it without resorting to the corny baroque stylings of Novus Magnificat.
    2. A tribute to Jack Johnson is my favorite Miles Davis but Goat is hard to top.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   4 weeks 3 days ago

I thought it was excellent. I'm sure Ill give it another go sooner or later :)

• Favorite TV Shows   4 weeks 3 days ago

Hmm, Sherlock Holmes was a good film as well. The Conan Doyle stories/novels are favourites of mine (I must get around to finishing all of them sometime). BTW, one thing which surprised me a lot when I finally read A Study in Scarlet was that he did not know or even care about basic facts about other fields of science; for some reason, I'd always supposed that he had great knowledge about many different fields.

What are your favourite episodes?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   4 weeks 3 days ago

The Go Team album only a 7/10? Try it again?

• Pulitzer Prize for Fiction (1918-2015)   4 weeks 3 days ago

Correction:
    Pulitzer prize for fiction in 1930
    Laughing Boy by Oliver La Farge

• Favorite movies   4 weeks 3 days ago

Modern Times is about the lack of free will, a concept also hyperbolized in films like Rosemary's Baby and North by Northwest. Not a political film, it underlines the inability to get out of the way of other people and uses a sense of humor to drive off the anxiety about being a burden in an overpopulated world where it is virtually impossible for everyone not to be one. The machines are not a political enemy but an existential one. Although we are machines, we are machines that can reprogram themselves (and reprogram the world).

The Seventh Seal is about man's dignity which makes it necessary for him to fight death (and God) no matter what. However, it is juxtaposed with the crude metaphor of the chess game, the ridiculousness of human relationships which is emphasized by the depiction of medieval decadence, and the subtle comedy in the circumstances.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 weeks 4 days ago

Thank you! I'm digging those descriptions and will add them soon! :)

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   4 weeks 4 days ago

You have Fun House higher on your list than Cyclops; in fact, you haven't reevaluated Cyclops at all.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 weeks 4 days ago

Ilyas Ahmed - I Am All Your Own (2015) - Red House Painters-esque folk, beautiful stuff that might trouble the upper reaches of my 7.5/10s from the 2010s!

Blood Warrior - Letter Ghost (2015) - NMH/Decemberists/Sufjan(?) sounding folk. Raw and personal, another that may become a fixture in my best of the decade list.

• Film Log   4 weeks 4 days ago

Not for many years; none grabbed my interest. They were often (always?) painfully formulaic and saccharine, in terms of both plot and style. Maybe I saw the wrong ones.

• Film Log   4 weeks 4 days ago

Have you watched any Bollywood films?