• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 2 days ago

It's junk art made by a young and completely stoned Lou Reed to get out of a contract by doing whatever he wants. It's so random and heartless it has a class of its own. I have no idea where to rank it yet.

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 2 days ago

^ This :/

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 2 days ago

It's very much like Pet Sounds performed by pets.

• 2014 albums   3 weeks 2 days ago

So what exactly is the rating system here?

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 weeks 3 days ago

Does anyone remember this cartoon?

There were birds and beasts, and I believe they each had a leader who wanted to be king of the animals. The birds would attack the beasts with rocks. That's all I really remember. I think all flying creatures were on the birds' side, and all ground creatures were on the beast's side.
    There were talking animals, and I think it was told from the point of view of a mouse. The animals were not anthropomorphic, it was set in a woodland type environment.

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   3 weeks 3 days ago

Jessica Bailiff is fantastic, both the album and the artist. Even in Silence is probably my favorite record of hers: noisy, dreamy, gauzy with Alan Sparhawk of Low contributing as well. Failing Yesterday is among my all-time favorite tracks.

True Widow are more recent slowcore band you may enjoy was well.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 3 days ago

For me, it's a very poignant album that captures what it feels like to be young and furiously excited by how new everything is, while simultaneously mourning the impermanence of one's youth.

Beneath the noise, Chasing a Bee and Frittering have a resigned, haunted quality that are almost reminiscent of Red House Painters at their best. There is something very earnest and melancholy in Jonathan Donahue's vocals and lyrics.

The contrast of that earnestness with the wild, blistering noise and surreal poetry of David Baker is what makes the album so compelling to me.

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 3 days ago

It's the perfect music for when you feel the worst you've ever felt and you know you can't possibly do anything good about it. It inspired me in that situation. Listening to it all the way through felt like the greatest meditation.

I hope you never feel like listening to it.

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 3 days ago

It's a really beautiful album. Not kidding.

• 2014 albums   3 weeks 3 days ago

Really cool list. Lots on here that I haven't heard of, and I've listened to a lot of 2014 albums.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 4 days ago

Please tell us what it is. I want to like it too.

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   3 weeks 4 days ago

I was planning to do a separate Post-Punk/Art Punk list next. Double Nickels would be represented on that one. This one was intended as a purer, nihilistic punk-rock list. Maybe some less-sofisticated early Minutemen albums or EPs could qualify for this one, but I haven't heard them all.

• Best Trance/House/Rave/Techno from 1990-1996   3 weeks 4 days ago

yep, me too, and I have a Plastikman tattoo to prove it.

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   3 weeks 4 days ago

Why no Minutemen?

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 4 days ago

I finally understood it after 8 years. 8 freaking years !!

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 4 days ago

Metal Machine Music!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 4 days ago

It's primarily a series of assaults between an ultimate state of "hippy nirvana" and massive, volcanic, chaotic trips. A sort of epic neuroses erupts from this, which also has a sense of overpowering shamanism to it. Along the way, each of the tracks are in a continual state of destabilization, vocally, and otherwise. Stylistically, it recalls The Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, the destabilization of The Red Crayola (particularly track 2) and The Flaming Lips earlier work, and probably some dips into Pink Floyd in there too.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 4 days ago

I don't get Yerself Is Steam. The music is incredible, but I don't know what is really happening. It sounds deceptive like a Radiohead album, if you know what I mean. Any clues?

• Listology Spam Brigade   3 weeks 5 days ago

I changed your status to "approved"
    If you continue to have a problem with spam filter blocking, let me know.

• Listology Spam Brigade   3 weeks 5 days ago

Can you approve me? I keep having this problem.

• VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders (From 100-1)   3 weeks 5 days ago

I agree! "All My life" was not Kc and Jojo only "hit". They also had " Crazy" and "Wanta Do You Right"..

• VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders (From 100-1)   3 weeks 5 days ago

While I agree that "Round And Round" was Ratt's biggest hit, I would not consider them to be a " One hit wonder". At least three of their albums were certified as either gold or platinum.

• Favorite TV Shows   3 weeks 6 days ago

Arrested Development is one of the smartest comedies out there, and it's pretty damn hilarious. It has a plot arc and tons of inside jokes so you'll be pretty lost a lot of the time if you don't watch the episodes in order.

• Favorite TV Shows   3 weeks 6 days ago

I've never seen Arrested Development, and don't even know its premise. I'll give it a gander... I find it's a handy thing to have a comedy on deck for when one doesn't want to consider anything involving brain activity. That said Deadwood is currently on my must-see list, though from what I understand it's not at all a show that one should watch passively. I'd also like to rewatch Twin Peaks before the new season.

The Wire is the greatest of them all, and I can't recommend it enough; The Sopranos is often touted as its rival, but it's leagues behind (though very good in its own right).