• Movie Log, 2012-2014   2 weeks 1 day ago

Boom! Love it!

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   2 weeks 2 days ago

Yes, I agree, I think everything you've pointed out here could hold relevance in any given case.

• Favorite Videogames   2 weeks 3 days ago

I'm not serious about video games at all -- and haven't consistently played any of them for years, but I do have fond memories of the Super NES and games such as Legend of Zelda, Mario and Final Fantasy franchises. I also remember getting Myst when it first came out and being mesmerized by its beauty and freedom but also stumped for days by some of its puzzles. Perhaps the first to be anything close to a significant work of art?

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   2 weeks 3 days ago

You're right. I think the intensity of the experience does largely depend on how much sexual infidelity terrifies us as a preconceived fear, but while men are in ways more prone to its horror, females are in ways equally terrified by cheating or by inadequacy and so forth. I don't think the horror lies more in the moral decay or surreal shifts in reality than in the sexual jealousy though. Without sexual jealousy we aren't really more than superficially horrified by the octopus monster thing or by the mystery man at the party. It all hinges on the male's fear of their woman being taken away. In fact, the horrors that become in both movies can be interpreted as being simply a manifestation of subconscious male paranoia, curiosity, and jealousy. But, nonetheless, the concept of "lying" (and secrets) haunts people in general to no end because of the alienation and dissonance that it causes. And anybody with enough compassion can be terrified by what really happens in the human condition even if they don't relate. If I were to subtract points from something for being too "male egocentric" I would effectively remove most of any art form's top choices, since the female is such a prevalent object.

• Film Log   2 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks, you're intriguing me quite a bit here! I better be careful or I might catch myself in another 3-year (was it even longer than that?) obsession with cinema! I'm trying to keep a more balanced variation between the arts these days but sudden epiphanies/bolts of inspiration in one direction make it challenging sometimes! Re: Taste of Cherry ... True that I wasn't much of a fan but Scaruffi's ranking and your continued endorsement (among others) carry much more weight for me than Ebert and lead me to suppose that I probably missed something, wasn't in tune with its language/purpose etc. I'll keep an eye on this list and try and catch up to your recommendations. Thanks again for the nudges to return to Velazquez and Rembrandt -- clearly two of the greatest visual artists :-)

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   2 weeks 3 days ago

You may have a valid point there, those being more haunting for men -- though from personal experience it seems that women, on average, tend to get more easily unsettled or haunted or scared at the movies than men seem to (just a cursory observation). Lost Hwy and Possession aren't ranked that highly in this category due to the theme of infidelity but much more due to how extremely and atmospherically they present it (and their other themes). Lynch's nightmarish, surreal noir atmosphere, along with the strange, unpredictable, psychotic cast of characters and the twisted bizarro, mobius strip of its plot... Possession takes its themes to such ugly, distorted, extreme losses of innocence, hurtling its main characters from an arguing couple to a total annihilation of their values, morals and expectations that it upends the viewer dramatically, becoming a tragic "shock to the system" so to speak... So its much more about how they do it than the base content of their themes. I think its different for everyone as to how impinging they find the films, but I think most serious, observant filmgoers -- male or female -- that were impressed by singular experiences such as these, would likely be able to assimilate both sides roughly equally. Though its hard to be sure.

• Rock : The Most Influential Artists   2 weeks 3 days ago

I see. Still, The Sex Pistols seem to me much more influential than the Pixies. Even if Lydon's big plans to end rock n roll didn't come true, they did start a musical revolution in the late 70s. Can't think of a band with a more direct impact on the musical scene and the society in general. The Pixies were not that innovative (I always think Pere Ubu did a similiar thing earlier and better) and they were not alone (Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, etc.). Maybe you claim their influence is more lasting than the Pistols'. I know Cobain loved them. What other bands do you think were directly influenced by the Pixies?
    Stil, props for including the obvious in the second spot in such a scaruffi-dominated site. As for Young I think you'll love On The Beach. It's impossible not to.

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Don't you think Possession and Lost Highway are more haunting to men than to women, generally, because they threaten male insecurities? Is that unfair? Would they be that inherently haunting if we (actually, just people in general) were not so terrified by infidelity? Divorce is definitely terrible for both sexes - but the fear of an octopus (?) monster taking your partner is not equally distributed. And, another example, Adjani's "You disgust me" line (I think) is more meaningful as it is directed at the male loser side of the coin. Would we really be as moved if Adjani were the recipient of that abuse?

• Film Log   2 weeks 3 days ago

I don't know! This is why I don't even update my lists anymore :). Trying to rank this log is particularly difficult, regardless of its current brevity, because there's not a bad film in the lot.In fact, I'd wager that a number of the movies--Tarkovsky, Bresson, Kiarostami, Ritwik--are among the best films ever made. India was particularly astonishing because it was my first viewing, and I was immediately convinced it's a masterpiece. To rank, I would have to go by gut, and just sitting here typing this my gut is being inconsistent..!

That's not very helpful: if I were to make recommendations--and it seems you've seen the majority of these films, so I won't bother with those--they would be Lancelot, The Wind Will Carry Us and The Cloud Capped Star. I'm hesitant about the Kiarostami suggestion, because I remember you didn't much care for Taste of Cherry, but it's very different, and may be a better movie. His genius is, for me, incontestable, no matter what Ebert said. Really thoughtful, intelligent filmmaking.

You may like the latter one best: I haven't seen any other Ritwik films but Star is unbelievable. Rosenbaum has a great write-up about the distinctness of his cinematic style (I was happy to see he rightly emphasizes the strength and importance of the soundtrack): "[Ritwik's] methods of composing soundtracks for his films as well as his ways of interrelating his sounds and images are among the things I would point to first in order to describe his uniqueness as a filmmaker. One might conclude, in other words, that he reinvented the cinema for his own purposes both conceptually, in terms of his overall working methods, and practically, by rethinking the nature of certain shots he has already filmed—–specifically, by starting and/or stopping certain kinds of sounds at unexpected moments, sometimes creating highly unorthodox ruptures in mood and tone."

A diet of ambrosia isn't bad!...

• Favorite TV Shows   2 weeks 3 days ago

Haven't seen it.

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

Out of curiosity, if you were to rank these, how would it look?

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

Aha! Good timing! :-)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

For sure, thanks. I've heard portions of the Kanye West albums and thought they were really good. And I've heard an album by Cannibal Ox (recommended to me by a friend) maybe 5 years ago that I thought was pretty damn good, but I don't recall if it was this one or not. I'll put them all up there and check them out!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Ok cool, thanks. Sounds good to me, I'll give 'em a go.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Stateless is much more drone or ambient influenced and entirely instrumental. There are elements of jazz there too. Just beautiful music.

And yeah Love Exposure is a revelation. In my top 5 of the decade for sure.

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

Ha! I just restructured: it's now organized so that #1 is the most recently viewed film, and then descends in order. No ranking.

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

Are these in a particular qualitative order or sequenced by date of viewing?

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 4 days ago

What's so good about it? I've listened to it twice so far and I don't get it.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

For curiosity's sake, could you rate/review one of these albums? They are all Scaruffi approved (7.5's):
    -The Cold Vein (Cannibal Ox)
    -The College Dropout (Kanye West)
    -My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Kanye West)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, been itching to check out Love Exposure. Scaruffi recently put it #2 for the decade. How would you compare this Dirty Beaches album to the other one you recommended me?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Love Exposure (film)
    Dirty Beaches - Stateless (rock album)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Btw, thanks for recommending Birdman (along with Stretch Corleone). I really enjoyed it and at certain points during the experience I thought it could be one of the very best films of the 00's/10's (I'm not totally convinced it isn't yet. Need to see it again).

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Cool, I'll give it one more shot before rating.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Whoops, I'm more prone to error when typing from my phone :) I'll get going on those Rembrandts soon if not tonight

• Greatest Comic Book Artists   2 weeks 5 days ago

Very interesting, thanks for the recommendation. The stories are very poetic and strange (Screw Style is indeed amazing) and executed in a very japanese fashion - minimalistic compositions with a naive touch.