• Why American Beauty is the Best Film Ever Made   7 weeks 2 days ago

No no you missed the undertones of the movie straight from the start. He talks to Ricky about how homosexuals are shameless and Ricky tells them that's because they think they have nothing to be ashamed off. If you watch that carefully you can already see the Col. acting shifty and uncomfortable, also he is in a loveless marriage and we suspect he has been suppressing his sexuality for a long time. Also the fact he is so venehement against homosexuality opens up the possibility of him being homosexual. He didn't just dismiss them as homosexuals, he also had a hard time letting it go. Also there is an alternative theory my friend threw at me which might be more suitable for you, he suggested that the Col. thought Lestor was a pedophile who was taking advantage of Ricky so he decided to test him by offering himself (an older male) and then killing Lestor (for his son's apparent shame and because Lestor did try to have underage sex anyway. I don't agree with that view because it's a bit of a stretch. It's been like 10 years but fuck it, thought I'd clear it up.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   7 weeks 2 days ago

I don't quite Sea Y you would do that.

(Sorry.)

• Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time   7 weeks 2 days ago

"Americans don't care much for British acts do they. Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard normally place top 5ish in British polls but here theyre":) British humour is a bit dry i think but I agree with you. I definitely think Kevin James needs to be there -- Dane Cook is also missing therealso his standup his hilarious but all in all this is a good list I must say even though there are at least 5 comedians that should be there and some positions should be exchanged its pretty spot on

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   7 weeks 2 days ago

Definitely. I'm seriously considering putting it on the "best" section of my list, but I want to make sure it holds up for at least a few more weeks before I do.

• 0008 - They Shoot Pictures Don't They Top 1000 Films Ranked   7 weeks 3 days ago

It was the latest entry, just saw it yesterday.

Why is Taxi Driver highlighted?

• Every Concert I've Attended   7 weeks 3 days ago

I'm writing in regard to the 2/8/1987 - Big Black / Blatant Dissent - Eagle's Club - Chicago, IL show as I'm working on a Big Black live guide. (http://tokvev.com/bigblack)
    I was wondering if you might have any photos, ticket stubs, flyers, recordings etc... from the show in question as up until now I haven't seen any document of it taking place. There are quite a few gaps in the guide and any information about previously undocumented shows is quite exciting and helpful.

Hope to hear from you!

All the best,
    Chris

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   7 weeks 3 days ago

Wow, I love discoveries like that. Sounds like I should get on it!

If Tommy's an 8, and Who's Next is an 8.5, then Quadrophenia is no less than a 9 imo. After listening to it a few times this weekend, I can't believe how good it is.

I don't think I've heard the whole thing (just the first 1/2 I think) -- and it's been years -- but I recall thinking what I heard was very good. Do you think it's comparable to Tommy?

What's your opinion on Quadrophenia?

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   7 weeks 3 days ago

After re-watching Bunuel's L' Age d'Or, I removed it from candidacy for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Faust, Modern Dance and Pop Group's Y.

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   7 weeks 4 days ago

No problem, I'll second APR's recommendation of Children of Men below. One of the best sci-fi films of recent times.

• Rock : The Greatest Albums   7 weeks 4 days ago

I don't pay much attention to lyrics usually, but they're appealingly weird and fit the anxious yet exaggerated tone of the music quite nicely. Break My Body stands out to me particularly in this regard.

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend that third one to just about everyone. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was probably my favorite film of the 2000s. Either that or Children of Men, but I'll usually go with the former because its screenplay is far better, whereas the latter's is kind of weak.

• Best Movies of the Decade, 2000-2009   7 weeks 4 days ago

"Riveting and brilliant from start to finish"? I think you mean from finish to middle ;)

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   7 weeks 4 days ago

TKAM should probably be higher than ET and Batman, I don't know why the hell it ended up at its particular spot. I haven't paid much attention to the lower rated films' ranking.

The 5.5 for Spartacus was on a whim, I've only watched it once. I probably would have rated it 6 at the time, but from memory there wasn't much that was interesting about it. Perhaps I'm being unfair, I'd have to watch it again.

P.S. Your Best Movies list is great, it was especially nice to see somebody appreciates Dr Strangelove, A Hard Day's Night and The Incredibles as much as I do :D

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   7 weeks 4 days ago

I've watched parts of a few of these, but only Vertigo in full, which I'm planning to rewatch and include on this list. Thank you by the way, I will get around to some of these pretty soon.

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Based on your list, some films I'd recommend to you would include (off the top of my head, in no particular order, if you haven't seen them already)...

Brazil - Gilliam [Final Cut]
    Modern Times - Chaplin
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Gondry
    Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - Spielberg
    The General - Keaton
    The 39 Steps - Hitchcock
    The Graduate - Nichols
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Spielberg
    LA Confidential - Hanson
    Network - Lumet
    The Game - Fincher

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   7 weeks 4 days ago

'Spartacus' and TKAM are higher on my list, but I still agree that they're both a little overrated.

• Rock : The Greatest Albums   7 weeks 4 days ago

Yes I think You Made Me Realize is awesome. I aslo have Tremolo but haven't heard it yet. I'll listen to all their EP's soon but at the moment I'm more fascinated by discovering great LP's like Gong's Camembert Electrique (which blew my mind recently) and Czukay/Wobble/Liebzeit's Full Circle (which is so magnificent that I don't even know how to describe it properly yet).

You got any LP suggestions? Specially prog and metal? I really like to find more masterpieces in these genres.

• Rock : The Greatest Albums   7 weeks 4 days ago

I have heard the actual EP's, and they're pretty good. You Made Me Realise at least I think you're familiar with already?

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Yes, it's probably a 9 but I need to relisten. I have listened to a few albums each by Mingus (The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is probably at least a 9.5), Davis and Coleman as well. I'd probably have included quite a few jazz albums here if I hadn't been out of touch with the genre for such a long time. Hopefully this list will be more diverse by the end of the year.

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   7 weeks 5 days ago

Been wondering the same thing. Also: Davis and Mingus and Coleman's masterpieces.

• Rock : The Greatest Albums   7 weeks 5 days ago

I haven't heard it but I too have seen some pretty good BEA lists with that compilation on them. Still I won't include any album or compilation that I'm not totally familiar with. But yeah, it seems like it's great.