• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   2 weeks 4 days ago

The sound of some guy coughing at 7:14 gets my vote as the biggest flaw in the track :D

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 4 days ago

Welcome and enjoy the play! I'll be asking people to start posting the address of their 2015 lists about mid-December, although anytime you know what it will be is great!

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   2 weeks 4 days ago

I been trying to find this for years
    A king and his daughter lived in a castle and one of the kings assistants(or brother) wanted to steal the throne away from the king. On the same night, (christmas eve) the king gives his daughter a charm bracelet which used to be her moms. And for the king, his daughter sang him a christmas song with the melody coming out of a Music Box. Since brother/assistant saw how much the king loved his daughter, that night, while she was sleeping, made her sniff some potion which would make her loose her memory. Then the assistant took her into a forest and made her live with a man who lived inside a cottage.
    Soon, the girl grows up into a teen and she still doesnt remember she was a princess and she still lives with that man in the cottage. During this time, the king has spent all of these years looking for her while the assistant who kidnapped his daughter rules the village and makes everyone pay a ton of taxes.
    Then there was a part where the king was searching the forest for her and then a gang of bad guys started harassing him for his money. Then the girl (not knowing its her father) rolls a giant snowball at them and brings the king into her cottage. The king then tells her how he is looking for his daughter who disappeared on christmas. He said that his daughter has a one of a kind charm bracelet and that only she would have it. The king then starts to name the charms on the bracelet his daughter had. Then the king then goes back to the castle and she starts to have little flasbacks of when she was a little girl. Then she notices she has the same bracelet the king described.
    So with the help of her talking bird and deer (lol) friends she met in the forest, they go to the village and into the castle, passing all the guards. When she goes inside the castle, she stands inside the room where she sang the christmas song to her father and has a flashback of herself singing it. She then sees the music box and starts to sing along.
    Then another day, some lady brings in her daughter to the castle and makes her pretend to be the missing princess so they could become rich :P (at a different time, that lady stole the charm bracelet from the real princess). So when the king sees the bracelet on the girl, he believes she is actually his daughter, until she couldnt sing that christmas carol from the music box.
    Then the real princess shows up and sings the carol... and the king finds his daughter and they lived happily ever after

• Stretch Corleone's Album Listening Log 2014   2 weeks 4 days ago

Are you going to check out Logic's Under Pressure? Undoubtedly derivative of Kendrick, but that doesn't mitigate my enjoyment. Bounce and Under Pressure are two of the best tracks, in my opinion.

• My Favorite Films   2 weeks 4 days ago

Re: Aeroplane ... it is almost too incredible. I am often just beside myself with awe, shaking my head while listening to it. I mean, I've thought it was a masterpiece before, but now it's a bit more meaningful because of the historical perspective of rock/music/art and how the artist is drawing on so many different forms and emotions simultaneously. It's really a culmination/synthesis of my criteria. It is probably the most perfect cohesion/balance of "avant-garde/experimental" and "popular/familiar" (The Doors are also among the best examples). In a sense, it is the history of rock from all (or several) sides, culminated as one "music"; from the pop/Beatles, et al, on through to the present; from Capt Beef/Zappa through to the present; from folk/Dylan through to the present; from VU (and punk/indie/lo-fi) through to the present... And probably the ultimate example of personal conviction in rock, if not all music.

Looking forward to your recovery from exhaustion :-)

• Fave literature   2 weeks 4 days ago

In complete honesty, it's nice seeing Winnie the Pooh. I loved the books as a child and today I can see how eloquent and profound Milne was. It's a shame that one often sees his quotes--like Shakespeare, Pope and Emerson--wrenched from their context and aphorized, though there is undeniable wisdom and power even in his smaller phrases and passages. That said, I really don't like Catcher in the Rye. I read it a few years back and found Caulfield unbearable.

I was at the bookstore the other day and was tempted to pick up Notes from the Underground but put it down; one of these days I will get to it! Since Dostoevsky is at the top of your list: have you explored the other great Russians? Tolstoy and Chekhov of course, but also the harrowing Isaac Babel, and the deeply moving and intelligent Turgenev.

• My Favorite Films   2 weeks 5 days ago

Re Lynch: Yes, the incomprehensibility of his plots can seem annoying and pointless at first, but if you can overlook that, then his style is quite fascinating! It takes time to get used to it, but I've learnt to pay more attention to expression and emotion in films, as well as in music.

Re Welles: I did notice the absence of older films actually :P

Re Punch-Drunk Love: I'm sure you'll like it :)

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   2 weeks 5 days ago

When i was young i have watch a cartoon, it's about a very beautiful princess, every man want to marry her, the princess will merry the man that can answered her 3 question, but if they cant answer it, they will die. At the end the princess married a man that answer 'Shoe' at a cave.

The princess hair is black.

I couldnt remember the title, and i want to know- if any of you know the title please tell me *bow*

• Jazz Masterpieces   2 weeks 5 days ago

The albums on my list have been my favorites for a long time, but I recently heard Jazz at Massey Hall and it blew me away in a brand new way. I've heard very little jazz released before late 50's and now I feel I'm missing out on a lot of great stuff. I'm downloading these two Duke Ellington albums you mentioned and a bunch of Charlie Parker albums at the moment. Hopefully I'll get most of the albums on your list and the Penguin Guide list by the end of 2015.

• Best Kanye West songs   2 weeks 5 days ago

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    2. The College Dropout (could be #1)
    3. Yeezus
    4. Late Registration
    5. 808s & Heartbreak
    6. Graduation

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Awesome, thanks, yes I dig Velazquez. I've viewed most (maybe all) of his major works, but definitely need to evaluate them more thoroughly as you seem to have done. He is one of my higher priorities on my "to do" list, including the ones you mention here. I am confident he has at least a few works I'd rate highly.

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Have you looked at Velazquez? An incredible storyteller... Las Meninas, in which he paints of the infanta's visit to his studio, and The Surrender of Breda, which details the victorious Spinola, are the highest flights of painting. The former is especially, I think, one of those happy convergences where the work's acclaim is proportionate to it's greatness. Bacon said "If you can say it, why paint it?" and I think Velazquez shows how different the narrative possibility of painting is compared to literature.

• My Music Lists   2 weeks 6 days ago

This is such a perceptive comment! I completely agree with your interpretation of Otello. In my opinion, to find equals (in opera) to the likes of Aida, Otello and Falstaff one needs to look to the Da Ponte collaborations, although Mozart may in fact surpass Verdi. (Admittedly, I'm no Wagnerite, though I love Tristan & Isolde). I hope you find a chance to dig into more Verdi soon!

• Best Kanye West songs   2 weeks 6 days ago

This dude has so many awesome songs.

How would you rank his albums?

• My Music Lists   2 weeks 6 days ago

Regrettably I've only gotten around to Verdi's Otello. But what a work it is! The opening is incredibly intense. I'm amazed at how wildly his music can change direction within a single instant and still maintain its utmost musical coherence and logic. The nature of this music reflects what I imagine to be a very stormy personality - one that is quick to admire or despise; trust and mistrust; to be capable of showing the gentlest human affection one moment and going into a frenzied rage the next. Whatever the state of being Verdi is in, there is always a deep burning passion in his soul. Unlike Wagner, he is very Human. He is very much of this world. Yet, not unlike Da Vinci, there is something immortal about his art; something divine. At every point in his music, you feel that you're in the hands of a higher power. Listening to his music, it is surprising to me how much Wagner and others of his time underestimated Verdi, who was clearly Wagner's equal. At least Brahms recognized Verdi's stature when he referred to Verdi's Requiem as "a work of genius".

• My Favorite Films   2 weeks 6 days ago

Yeah, I've been laying low lately around here. I just haven't had much to say I guess. Yeah, I've seen some of your updates. In The Aeroplane... is now above Trout Mask Replica!?! Holy shmoligans!!! I admire your audacity and courage.

I'll probably input suggestions for music on your lists in the near future. I'm too exhausted at the moment.

• My Favorite Films   2 weeks 6 days ago

Re Lynch: I have some mixed feelings about Lynch. While I'm fascinated by his very imaginative filming style, I have often found his plots to be somewhat incomprehensible. If that makes me some hopeless pleb that needs to be spoon-fed a conventional, linear plot then so be it! Despite this, I've always found Mulholland Dr. to be very entertaining. My favorite scene is where that big guy knocks that chick's lights out! Hilarious!! Lost Highway was added to my list if mainly for it's phenomenal filming style. Once I gain a better understanding of his art, I will most definitely add more of his films to my list.

Re Welles: You may not have noticed but I haven't really gotten into older films yet. But I will! And films by Welles will probably be first to be added (Hitchcock too!).

Re Punch-Drunk Love: Sounds like a good movie. It's got some of my favorite actors in it. I'll check it out some day.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

I've never played before but I'd like to join for 2015

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 8 hours ago

I totally forgot that album! Yes, Y would be a good choice.

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 16 hours ago

So, in other words, Pop Group's Y? ;-)

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 19 hours ago

In certain respects -- inside the walls of noise, where it's basic structures lie -- MBV's Loveless semi-qualifies as "dance-pop" (though it's a little bit of a stretch of course).

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 19 hours ago

I really like both of those albums, but actually haven't listened to them since before my (so-called) "Scaruffist" days. At the time I was a bigger fan of "Second Toughest..." but according to Scaruffi's ratings, I may like "Dubno..." more if I returned to it. Maybe even a 9? I'll have to check it out again at some point.

• Jazz Masterpieces   3 weeks 19 hours ago

Right now I'll go with Ellington's Money Jungle, Dizzy Gillespie at Newport, Mingus 5x, Solo Monk (1964), and Sonny Rollins' G-Man. What about yours?

• My Music Lists   3 weeks 19 hours ago

...did you ever get to Verdi's operas!?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 20 hours ago

Sign me up, too, once things get going again.