• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   5 weeks 6 days ago

I've always thought that having a rating scale where one's highest rating isn't the max possible rating made little sense. Suppose according to a scale, no 10/10 actually exists or ever will exist. Then wouldn't the highest assigned rating be, de facto, a 10/10? And because one can never know whether something will be the greatest thing they will ever experience, doesn't it make more sense to scale one's ratings based on what you currently consider the best?

But then again, because my musical preferences change all the time, I have little use for ordered lists, which is why I pretty much divide my favorites into "those I like" and "those I like A LOT". I'm curious; how do you (and others who want to answer) assign such precise rankings?

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   5 weeks 6 days ago

I think it's called Let the Black Saint Hear Music, that's the one you're talking about right? Anyway, man, gotta say I totally agree with you. It's like, there's so many fucking instruments man, and it sounds so huge. It makes me feel like Mingus is inviting me to get the hell out and kick some ass, dance like crazy, rule the world yo. It's nice background music too. FOR WHEN I AM THINKING ABOUT HOW AWESOME I AM HELL YEAH <3 MINGUS

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   5 weeks 6 days ago

So ... that Mingus album ... what's its name? Black Saint ... or something? ... Well, anyway, it's not too shabby. Some solid notes here, some nice drum rolls there...

• "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die"   5 weeks 6 days ago

Here it's the 20\4 edition!

The 13 films added to the list:

12 Years a Slave (2013)
    The Act of Killing (2012)
    American Hustle (2013)
    Blancanieves (2012)
    Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)
    Gravity (2013)
    The Great Beauty (2013)
    Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
    Nebraska (2013)
    Nostalgia for the Light (2010)
    A Touch of Sin (2013)
    Wadjda (2012)
    The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

The 13 films removed from the list:

1080. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
    1083. The Departed (2006)
    1096. No Country for Old Men (2007)
    1116. Inglorious Basterds (2009)
    1125. Of Gods and Men (2010)
    1127. The King's Speech (2010)
    1134. Le Havre (2011)
    1135. Shame (2011)
    1139. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
    1140. Bridesmaids (2011)
    1148. Les Miserables (2012)
    1150. Argo (2012)
    1152. Skyfall (2012)

• The 100 Greatest Electronic/Dance Albums   6 weeks 2 hours ago

Yup, those two albums are among my all-time faves; unfortunately, they just don't quite measure up to the albums in the Top 100 in a more objective sense. Of Autechre's albums, I'd say 'Tri Repetae' comes closest to inclusion here, since it's the group's most acclaimed and popular release. When I expand the list to 200 entries (no telling when I'll get to that), both 'Tri Repetae' and 'Incunabula' will be here. Thanks for asking, my friend.

By the way, here's a sample of some of the contenders for the next 100 (in alphabetical order):

2 Live Crew - As Nasty as They Wanna Be (1989)
    4hero - Parallel Universe (1994)
    808 State - Newbuild (1988)
    808 State - Ex:el (1991)
    Amon Tobin - Supermodified (2000)
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994)
    Autechre - Incunabula (1993)
    Autechre - Tri Repetae++ (1995)
    Basement Jaxx - Rooty (2001)
    Black Dog Productions - Bytes (1992)
    Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (2002)
    Bronski Beat - The Age of Consent (1984)
    Burial - Burial (2006)
    C+C Music Factory - Gonna Make You Sweat (1990)
    Carl Craig - More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art (1997)
    Coil - Horse Rotorvator (1986)
    Cybotron - Enter (1983)
    David Holmes - Let's Get Killed (1997)
    Deee-Lite - World Clique (1990)
    Devo - Freedom of Choice (1980)
    Everything But the Girl - Walking Wounded (1996)
    Exposé - Exposure (1987)
    Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry (1996)
    Fripp & Eno - (No Pussyfooting) (1973)
    Front 242 - Front by Front (1988)
    Global Communication - 76:14 (1994)
    Hot Chip - The Warning (2006)
    Jean Michel Jarre - Équinoxe (1978)
    Lady Gaga - The Fame (2008)
    LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem (2005)
    LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening (2010)
    Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam with Full Force (1985)
    Lords of Acid - Lust (1991)
    M.I.A. - Arular (2005)
    Madonna - Music (2000)
    Mantronix - The Album (1985)
    Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey (1988)
    Mouse on Mars - Iaora Tahiti (1995)
    New Order - Brotherhood (1986)
    Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight (1995)
    Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)
    One Dove - Morning Dove White (1993)
    Orbital - In Sides (1996)
    Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality (1981)
    Pet Shop Boys - Introspective (1988)
    Pet Shop Boys - Please (1986)
    Plastikman - Musik (1994)
    Plastikman - Sheet One (1993)
    Portishead - Third (2008)
    Primal Scream - XTRMNTR (2000)
    Radiohead - Amnesiac (2001)
    Raymond Scott - Soothing Sounds for Baby (1964)
    Röyksopp - Melody A.M. (2001)
    Shannon - Let the Music Play (1984)
    Silver Apples - Contact (1969)
    Skinny Puppy - Too Dark Park (1990)
    Sparks - No. 1 in Heaven (1979)
    Stereo MCs - Connected (1992)
    Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return (1988)
    Sven Väth - An Accident in Paradise
    Tangerine Dream - Zeit (1972)
    The Chemical Brothers - Surrender (1999)
    The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms (1994)
    The Knife - Silent Shout (2006)
    The Postal Service - Give Up (2003)
    The Prodigy - Experience (1992)
    The Sabres of Paradise - Haunted Dancehall (1994)
    The Shamen - En-Tact (1990)
    Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report (1977)
    Tomita - Snowflakes Are Dancing (1974)
    Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants (1996)
    Vangelis - Blade Runner (1994)
    Wendy Carlos - Sonic Seasonings (1972)
    White Noise - An Electric Storm (1969)
    Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's (1982)
    Yello - You Gotta Say Yes to Another Excess (1983)
    Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM (1981)
    Yellow Magic Orchestra - Technodelic (1981)

• List of Must-Watch Movies   6 weeks 17 hours ago

Waar was reported to be Pakistan's most commercially successful film to date, so I would definitely want to watch it for this sake.

• The 100 Greatest Electronic/Dance Albums   6 weeks 2 days ago

I saw Incunabula and Tri Repetae among your favorite albums. Why no Autechre here?

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   6 weeks 2 days ago

Though I'll also say that I've rated it an 8.5 at least as often as I've rated it a 9 so I don't necessarily disagree with you that it's not 8.8+.

Interesting, I've always thought of it as one of the most climactic albums of all time, with its rhythm section slowing down some, but the bass and guitar climaxes becoming more focused and pronounced and the vocals only becoming increasingly intense/ferocious, and "evangelical". Are you listening to it on at a decent enough sound system that can handle the album and doesn't drown it out?

LOL, not really though. I just don't think it's in the top 5 rock albums like I used to, or even in the 8.8+ range. It's probably an 8 for me. The songs are great and it's really cool if you think of it as the album equivalent of The Terminator, but the sequencing is off. The second side puts all the slower tracks at the end, and despite the intensity of I Want You Right Now and Starship it feels anticlimatic. Fun House for example may not necessarily have far better songs, but the sequencing on that album is brilliant.

I guess I could be a passenger if the album's tracklist was like this:

Ramblin' Rose
    Come Together
    I Want You Right Now
    Kick Out the Jams
    Rocket Reducer No 62
    Starship
    Borderline

I'd have to try that tracklist to know for sure though.

Uh oh, poor MC5, lost another passenger in their Starship :-( .... :-)

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   6 weeks 3 days ago

I'm afraid I don't like Kick Out the Jams nearly as much as I used to XP

• List of Must-Watch Movies   6 weeks 3 days ago

I see. I've only watched Waar (which I wouldn't recommend unless you just want an enjoyable time pass).

• National Anthem of Pakistan   6 weeks 3 days ago

Nice. I live in Lahore.

• Longest Song Titles Ever   6 weeks 3 days ago

"you might think he loves you for your money but i know what he really loves you for it's your band new leopard skin pillbox hat" Death Grips

• Three Hundred and Three Favorite Films   6 weeks 3 days ago

I have watched only a few films from this decade, so I am the one who should be asking for recommendations actually. Anyway, the only one I've watched that I could call a masterpiece would be The Grand Budapest Hotel.

• Top 10 Movies & Albums of the Week [plus other misc works of art] (2013)   6 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks for the recommendations. The only problem is now I can't wait to watch those.

EDIT: Watched Taste of Cherry today. It was great, though the ending was jarring as hell. However, I'm sure I'll get more used to it, as well as the sparseness of the movie in general, on future viewings. Where is the Friend's Home sounds interesting too.

I think you'll rate it at least 7/10 on a re-watch, AfterHours!

• National Anthem of Pakistan   6 weeks 4 days ago

I live in Karachi.

• List of Must-Watch Movies   6 weeks 4 days ago

I have not seen any yet. I do plan to. :)

• List of Must-Watch Movies   6 weeks 4 days ago

Interesting choices. Besides Khuda Kay Liye, which other recent Pakistani movies have you watched?

• National Anthem of Pakistan   6 weeks 4 days ago

Where in Pakistan do you happen to live?

• Rock : The Greatest Male Vocalists   6 weeks 4 days ago

I used to feel the same way. Iggy usually comes off as a stupid confused freak. His solo career is mostly pointless and mediocre. Surprisingly, he was a genius vocalist back in the Stooges days, specially on Fun House . Listen to that album's title track once more. It's uncanny.

• Rock : The Greatest Male Vocalists   6 weeks 5 days ago

What.

• Rock : The Greatest Male Vocalists   6 weeks 5 days ago

Iggy Pop at no. 3 is very surprising to me. I've always felt he was by far the weakest link musically in the Stooges.

• Songs With Women's Names in the Title   6 weeks 5 days ago