• Favorite Music   6 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for pointing that mistake out :)

Compared to my other lists, this one is (and will probably remain) an irrational hodgepodge. I like it more this way, to be honest.

I hardly ever listen to Michael Jackson. I liked his music a lot when I was a kid (didn't have much of a choice back then, we only had 2 pop cassettes in our home!) until I discovered Metallica, and Pink Floyd after that, and so on ... That particular song (2000 Watts) isn't even that good but it brings back LOTS of great memories to me.
    Anyway, I still think They Don't Care About Us is a pretty good song and his greatest hits are enjoyable. I doubt I'll ever listen to his music anymore though.

• Favorite Music   6 weeks 4 days ago

This is slightly different from your other lists, haha...

Which other Michael Jackson songs do you like?

Oh, and Ape Oven is by Royal Trux, not Jon Hassell :)

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 4 days ago

This list is turning out pretty sweet. Your top 5 choices are specially very comprehensive and strong. I think Crazy Rhythms by the Feelies has a good shot at being included here. Also, Underwater Moonlight is one hell of an unassuming album. It took me so many listens to truly reveal its greatness.

I've only heard some of Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits (Tusk has always been a favorite). I'm gonna get Rumours and listen to the whole thing.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   6 weeks 4 days ago

Hello, I'm trying to remember the name of this (ever elusive) movie/cartoon/anime that I watched as a young child with my even younger sister. We aren't sure what time period it's from but we know a whole bunch of the plot that we pieced together.

It starts out with a bobcat (bulldozer?) moving dirt at a construction site. It happens to pick up a load of dirt with a bunch of inanimate objects (broom, dirty brush, drums, etc) buried there. The sun starts to go down and the workers leave, leaving behind the junk. Well, the sun goes completely down and those objects turn into actual people (I'm hesitant to say trolls) but with tattered clothes and horns on their heads. They talk briefly before moving to this tree on top of a big hill, overlooking the town/city. They turn back into inanimate objects when the sun comes back up though.

Some time passes and an alien UFO comes around the town/city during the night time looking to enslave human children. The 'trolls' come out and start to beat down on the ship. The aliens end up shooting a laser and killing one of the 'trolls.' They start crying over their fallen comrade when try get to the safety of the tree and it soon starts pouring buckets. (An old women comments that when the 'trolls' start crying, it rains)

Next comes our main character, a (teenage?) boy attending a (Japanese?) school. A new girl comes to the classroom and the boy instantly is infatuated with her. But as she moves around meeting her classmates, her eyes(?) appear to be taking pictures of each one she meets, including the main character.

Later that night, he loses his shoe to a giant bulldog(?) when trying to sneak into her backyard, chased away, and ends up in a fight with one of the 'trolls.' They end up rolling around and the boy ends up breaking the trolls horn, and the troll immediately starts crying. The boy ends up super-gluing the trolls horn back on and they become friends. The sun comes up and the 'troll' ends up turning into the form of a dirty brush. The boy ends up taking the brush home before his mother, thinking it was just a really dirty brush, throws it into the garbage as the garbage truck comes along. The boy ends up chasing the garbage truck before ending up in the sewers with the brush in hand.

Meanwhile, the new girl invites some friends over to try out her grandfathers house. While they play, they realise they are now ACTUALLY in the game before being sucked into a black hole of some sort.

(We forget a lot of the plot around here)

The two boys end up becoming best friends when saving each other from a 'troll' leader(?) and after saying some sort of saying, they can become one person, sharing each other's abilities.

They end up saving the inanimate objects, who were traded for candy by some chubby kid, from the aliens (who end up being the new girls grandpa after they hypnotised her). They also end up saving all the children who were taken for slavery. The last we see, and remember, of the aliens is when they crash land into a pig pen and one of them comment that they can take the pigs back to their home planet for slavery.

I'm not sure if this is really a movie or if this was just something my mind came up with as a young child but considering my younger sister remembers it and I thought the same about the show Shinzo, it's safe to assume I'm not crazy.

If anyone knows anything about this movie/cartoon/anime, both my sister and I will be eternally grateful because we've been looking for this for at least a year with no results. Thank you!
    ~Revolutionary

• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 4 days ago

Nah, people and electronic devices will have completely taken over the earth. It will be a thoroughly complex, random, pointless and noisy world and it will go on for a loooooong time. I'd rather die naturally before those times come. It's way better than killing myself out of boredom.

• Greatest Rock Albums   6 weeks 4 days ago

Sure...."24" makes a good intro to the sound and feel of the track immediately after it, "Medicine Bottle", which is an epic spiraling exploration of a lifetime of depression with no escape, constantly snowballing into a more and more tense state.

"Down Colorful Hill" - Scaruffi's description is very apt here, if taken to refer to this song rather than the album: "seemed to end before beginning but then lasted for eternity". This song is an unending holy Buddhist mantra. It's filled with infinite sadness over a lifetime of tragedies yet a strange determination to keep moving.

"Japanese To English" - nothing in particular here, I just find the chords and the 4AD-created textures very intriguing.

"Lord Kill The Pain" - a different spin on the trauma and depression being fraught over throughout the album because here it's translated into a Lou Reedish raw rocker. It starts off a little generic but then builds to a monster of psychotic states.

"Michael" - just a really beautiful guitar part during the solo, gets me everyt ime.

• Greatest Rock Albums   6 weeks 4 days ago

Do you have any insight into what is especially extraordinary about Down Colorful Hill? I always feel like I'm missing some element of it that would change my rating dramatically.

• Most Invigorating Films (in progress)   6 weeks 4 days ago

Oh yea, thanks for the reminder! ;)

• My ratings of creations in any artform   6 weeks 5 days ago

Nice, looking forward to it!

• My ratings of creations in any artform   6 weeks 5 days ago

I just have :)
    But yea, I plan to update this regularly.

• Most Invigorating Films (in progress)   6 weeks 5 days ago

Man, why isn't George of the Jungle on your Greatest Films list yet?

• My ratings of creations in any artform   6 weeks 5 days ago

Great choices :-) Are you planning on expanding it?

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the reminder, I haven't heard it in eons. I'll revisit it and get back to you.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   6 weeks 6 days ago

Carole King's Tapestry?

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   6 weeks 6 days ago

Haven't relistened to the other two, but after my recent listens to SR and Doolittle:

SR (8.2/10): The filler is Oh My Golly and I'm Amazed. Bone Machine, Break My Body, all the tracks between Broken Face and Tony's Theme, Vamos and Brick Is Red are awesome. A very entertaining album; it's really the atmosphere that makes this album.

Doolittle (7.7/10): The filler is Crackity Jones and Silver, then there's some very good tracks, then about 8 or 9 awesome tracks. The production is inferior as already noted (which was what gave SR its charm anyway incidentally), but the songs are still enjoyable and slowly growing on me somehow...

• Most Emotionally Moving/Devastating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in progress]   6 weeks 6 days ago

Yes, the first 15 are probably VERY accurate down to the smallest differences (doesn't mean they can't change). After that, I'm not quite as certain, though one can't go wrong with any of them anyway so it shouldn't matter much.

• Music Ratings & Notes   6 weeks 6 days ago

"Hopefully we'll be dead by then." Who'll be making the music then? Are...are you suggesting that guitars will have taken over the Earth by then?

Interesting list after the top few choices which were fairly predictable.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   7 weeks 8 hours ago

I'm sorry I have to say, I'm going to have to drop out of the contest. My internet has been very very wibbly wobbly and I find it hard to keep stuff up to date and I keep on forgetting to update later when I do have internet, so my whole list is turning out very chaotic and incomplete, so I'm going to delete my list and keep track of movies in a different way.
    I really enjoyed playing and I wish y'all lots of movie-fun for the rest of the year!

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   7 weeks 9 hours ago

My list of old cartoons:
    1. Hallowwen tree 1993
    2. Jack and the beanstalk 1974
    3. The Care Bears 1985
    4. The little troll prince 1987
    5. The Swan Princess
    6. The Swan Princess II: Escape from Castle Mountain
    7. The Swan Princess III: The Mystery of the Enchanted The Swan Princess Christmas
    8. The Swan Princess Christmas IV
    9. The Swan Princess V: A Royal Family Tale
    10. The Prince and the Pauper
    11. TaleSpin
    12. An American Tail (1986)
    13. An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991)
    14. An American Tail: The Treasure of Manhattan Island (1998)
    15. An American Tail: The Mystery of the Night Monster (1999)
    16. Rock-a-Doodle 1991
    17. The Rescuers
    18. The Rescuers Down Under
    19. The King and I 1999
    20. FernGully: The Last Rainforest 1992
    21. FernGully 2: The Magical Rescue (1998)
    22. Freddie as F.R.O.7. 1992
    23. Happily Ever After 1990
    24. Thumbelina (Don Bluth´s)
    25. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    26. Once Upon a Forest (1993)
    27. The flight of dragons
    28. The pagemaster 1994
    29. The hobbit 1977
    30. The Last Unicorn (1982)
    31. The Princess and the Goblin
    32. The Legend of Sirius
    33. The Princess & the Pea (2002)
    34. We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993)
    35. The Land Before Time (1988)
    36. The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure (1994)
    37. The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving (1995)
    38. The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists (1996)
    39. The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island (1997)
    40. The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock (1998)
    41. The Land Before Time VII: The Stone of Cold Fire (2000)
    42. The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze (2001)
    43. The Land Before Time IX: Journey to Big Water (2002)
    44. The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration (2003)
    45. The Land Before Time XI: Invasion of the Tinysauruses (2005)
    46. The Land Before Time XII: The Great Day of the Flyers (2006)
    47. The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends (2007)
    48. The Land Before Time XIV (2009)
    49. A Troll in Central Park (1994)
    50. Bartok the Magnificent 1999
    51. Little Nemo Adventures In Slumberland 1989
    52. Quest for Camelot (1998)
    53. The Pebble and the Penguin (1995)
    54. The Tale of Tillie's Dragon (1995)
    55. Cats Don't Dance (1997)
    56. The AristoCats (1970)
    57. Oliver & Company (1988)
    58. The Fox and the Hound (1981)
    59. Robin Hood (1973)
    60. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
    61. All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)
    62. All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (1996)
    63. An All Dogs Christmas Carol (1998)
    64. The Snow Queen's Revenge (1996)
    65. Annabelle's Wish (1997 Video)
    66. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer The Movie 1998
    67. Candy Land The Great Lollipop Adventure 2005
    68. The Secret of NIMH (1982)
    69. The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue
    70. The Sword in the Stone (1963)
    71. The NeverEnding Story (1984)
    72. The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter (1990)
    73. MirrorMask (2005)
    74. The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008)
    75. Five Children and It (2004)
    76. Inkheart 2008
    77. Arthur et les Minimoys (2006)
    78. Arthur et la vengeance de Maltazard (2009)
    79. Arthur 3: la guerre des deux mondes (2010)
    80. The Golden Compass (2007)
    81. Hook (1991)
    82. The Thief Lord (2006)
    83. The house of magic 2013
    84. Faeries (1999)
    85. The Nutcracker Prince (1990)
    86. The Brave Little Toaster (1987)
    87. Animal Farm (1954)
    88. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999)
    89. Animaland (1997)
    90. Fluppy Dogs (1986)

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   7 weeks 10 hours ago

Hi! I need help finding out an old cartoon.I've seen it on cartoon network theater.
    Here is what I remember from the story:
    The story happens Medieval times (or something along those lines) in a town. It starts off with a look at a past event. A jester is running from a mob. What the jester did, and this is probably revealed later in the movie, is that he stole a pouch of gold from a king or lord. Anyway, the jester and the mob stops on a bridge. The jester takes out an instrument that has a crank. Suddenly, the mob starts dancing uncontrollably. After that, something terrible happens (like the bridge breaks down or something) and both the mob and the jester die.Several years past and we come to the current timeline. I only remember parts of the movie after that. The main protagonist of the story is, I believe, a young man. Another important character is his father or grandfather who is a clockmaker (really not sure about that one) or repairs something like that. One important thing about him is that he has this huge instrument or machine (I'm incline to think it's an organ, but I don't remember him playing on a keyboard of any sort, plus as you'll see, it has a huge crank). When he starts playing the instrument/machine, the ghost of the people who died on the bridge appear on the new bridge (at first, they're all identical as they are all wearing black cloaks). Later in the movie, the grandfather/father finds a huge crank on the instrument. I clearly remember him making a strenuous effort to turn the big crank (with both hands) at some point in the movie. When he plays it with the big crank, the ghosts on the bridge become even more real.
    Any ideas of what cartoon movie could it be?

• Music Ratings & Notes   7 weeks 10 hours ago

I guess Good would be 8.5 and the next two would be 8 (Yes a higher 8). Haven't heard Treat Her Right yet, I might check out The Anthology sometime.

• Music Ratings & Notes   7 weeks 23 hours ago

_

• Music Ratings & Notes   7 weeks 23 hours ago

I like it a lot, it's very consistent and easy to listen to, it has lots of great songs. I used Buena to turn a bunch of my close friends into Morphine fans some years ago (It was a very successful attempt. Driving around town with Morphine playing in the stereo has become one of our most enduring traditions!). And Miles Davis' Funeral is a damn fine instrumental IMHO.

How would you rate the three morphine albums? Also, have you heard Treat Her Right (Mark Sandman's pre-Morphine band)? I should definitely listen to one of their albums sometime.

• Music Ratings & Notes   7 weeks 1 day ago

I agree with you, except the last sentence. I think Good's confidence and consistency makes it more enjoyable. What do you think of Cure For Pain?