• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Yep, at this point in time, it seems to me like the masterpiece of superhero movies. I wrote the above "review" in haste and from my cell phone. I wrote a more polished little review here: http://letterboxd.com/afterhours/film/batman-returns/

Letterboxd is a site a drop in on now and then...

• Best Coldplay songs   7 weeks 4 days ago

Probably XD Any particular songs you remember liking from their first two albums? I think a selection of their best tracks, if well-sequenced for maximum momentum, could make for a 7/10 album.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Ah, I knew I'd forgotten something! Haven't returned to Batman Returns in a long time, but I seem to remember it kicking a lot of ass. Then again, I also thought Batman and Robin kicked ass when I was a child, probably because the Iceman was so damn cool.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   7 weeks 4 days ago

Count me in :-) At least for Batman Returns (seems to clearly be the most extraordinary of any of the series')

I'm undecided on if Burton's first Batman is better than Nolan's ones, but I wouldn't put it past it.

Which do you prefer: Burton's first or Batman Returns?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   7 weeks 4 days ago

I thought I was the only one in the world that liked Batman and Batman Returns better than the Nolan movies!

• Best Coldplay songs   7 weeks 4 days ago

It is a solid album. It would be great if it surprised me and catapulted back into my top 20, though considering my criteria, it obviously wouldn't happen. I should've posted that as an update on April Fools Day :)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   7 weeks 5 days ago

Update: Seems to me now that Batman Returns is clearly the best Batman film, and probably the best superhero film, though that's also because it separates itself so divisively from the genre's tropes, so maybe its an unfair comparison.

• Only Portuguese Music Worth Listening To   8 weeks 2 hours ago

Mão Morta are pretty great too, maybe even better if like me you happen to enjoy Birthday Party-like noise punk. Check out their debut.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   8 weeks 4 hours ago

Nope, doubt you missed something -- superhero films are consistently mediocre or bad. I'd be surprised if there's anything better to offer than the two Dark Knights and Burton's first. Ill have to give Burton's Batman Returns a revisit at some point too. Haven't seen it in over a decade.

• Only Portuguese Music Worth Listening To   8 weeks 7 hours ago

Regardless of classification, those two songs are awesome. I might just check out the whole album (and the EP).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   8 weeks 8 hours ago

Batman Begins is pretty good, probably 6.5 or 7 as well. You're right about the "operatic" scope. Tim Burton's film is excellent, completely agree with your assessment of it. Seems to me as far as superhero films go, Batman got the best treatment...unless I missed something?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   8 weeks 8 hours ago

I think it's very good. I'd probably rate Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises 7/10 (undecided about which one is better ... I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises since its theatrical release). I haven't seen Batman Begins in it's entirety which I'll probably rectify soon. I like what I've seen of it. ... In the latter two, although there are many leaps of logic and head scratching decisions by the characters, it can generally be forgiven because the direction is so assured and the emotions and scope so operatic that it's hard not to at least be impressed by the commanding vision and its control of tone and overall arc and presentation. One could also claim that, being a superhero film, one should leave some logic at the door anyway. I find Nolan's sense of stately montages (where he often alternates between different planes of action/character's viewpoints and builds a sense of suspense or collective emotional release) to often be close to stirring.

Although exuding a completely different tone and vision, and driven by totally different techniques and visual sense, I think Burton's first Batman (1989) may be better (at least in some ways), though it's simultaneously uneven and clumsy in parts -- though even these might be said to have a certain endearing folly to them, mirroring the strangeness, satire, and the post-apocalyptic environment presented. I just revisited it earlier this week and am undecided on its rating, though I'd estimate 6.5/10 at this time. The last half of it, and especially the finale (nodding to both Blade Runner and Vertigo simultaneously) urges me to consider an upgrade. Hard to shake those visuals and the promise of just how great it could've been with more assured direction. Wish Orson Welles would've directed it.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   8 weeks 12 hours ago

What do you think of Nolan's Batman trilogy?

• Best Coldplay songs   8 weeks 13 hours ago

You've come a long way :P Then again, it's a decent album, worth about 6/10 at least. Far from top 20 material but it's a nice listen for some well-crafted pop-rock that manages to be far more convincing than most other mediocre entries in the genre. Of course, Coldplay themselves declined after the album. A handful of the tracks might be worth revisiting for you.

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   8 weeks 1 day ago

Movies with two or more of the ten latest actors to die:

Moulin Rouge (1952) Theodore Bikel/Colette Marchand
    The Sandwich Man (1966) Frank Finlay/Ron Moody
    Che! (1969) - Robert Loggia/Omar Sharif

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   8 weeks 1 day ago

Good question. Its not a particularly "personal" experience for me. It's more the constantly shape-shifting environments/scenes, the chaotic expressionist theatre of it all. If it were visualized it would probably look a lot like a cross between Murnau's Faust, the more chaotic, explosive sequences of Gilliam's Brazil, and move quite a bit like frantic montages of Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin and/or the bookending battles of Peckinpah's Wild Bunch. If one gets in tune with its relentless, anarchic, crazed figures violently traversing its rapidly shifting environments/spectacles, it can be quite overwhelming. If I re-listen to it soon I may go into more detail.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   8 weeks 1 day ago

What do you find particularly fascinating about Lullaby Land? I think it's good but lacks enough ideas for 21 songs. I listened to 3 other Vampire Rodents albums and they sound quite similar to Lullaby Land and have the same problem. Their music is good but to be honest it sounds primitive (both composition and sound) compared to lots of experimental hip hop albums that came before and after it. Am I missing some great ideas/innovations/techniques or is the rating high mainly because of your personal emotional connection to the album?

• Oscar nominees by date of death - all categories   8 weeks 2 days ago

interesting stuff to be share about... thanks for sharing... kudos

• Best Coldplay songs   8 weeks 3 days ago

Believe it or not, their A Rush of Blood to the Head album was actually in my top 20 or so (of all time! Rock albums only) back in late 2002 for a few weeks before it had drastically diminishing returns and I lost interest in it. Of course, that was well before I'd discovered many of the current crop of Rock masterpieces from Scaruffi's lists and so forth, but it's still kind of amusing to reminisce on such things.

• The Most Iconic Fictional Characters of All Time   8 weeks 5 days ago

Odysseus, Zeus, Adam, Satan.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   8 weeks 6 days ago

Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman's Rhythm Fantasies (2005) is -sorta- like an acoustic Confield.

• The Greatest Dystopian Movies (1990-Present)   9 weeks 6 days ago

who says its not my list?

• Greatest Rock Albums   9 weeks 6 days ago

Something I greatly enjoy about their discography is that they're consistent as hell. In their case being consistent means that they have delivered 4 great original post-punk/post-pop albums in a row. Crazy Rhythms is the famous debut but those who have heard the other 3 usually have a hard time choosing the favorite because they're so great and different from each other. The Good Earth is the polar opposite of Crazy Rhythms in terms of mood and has zero sharp edges. It almost passes as country rock or REM indie rock before you start to pay attention. Only Life has half a dozen of their best songs and remains the most interesting take on the VU's third album's sound that I've heard (while keeping the beautiful melodies and the airy trance, they take the compositions and arrangements to symphonic levels). Time For A Witness is another winner that I haven't gotten around to assessing it yet. Long story short, thanks for the response and the Feelies are unspeakably underrated.

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   9 weeks 6 days ago

Climbers and newcomers

After season 2015/2016:
    Simon Ammann (Up 1 place, from 4 to 3)
    Severin Freund (Up 5 places, from 12 to 7)
    Peter Prevc (Up 8 places, from 17 to 9)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 2 places, from 13 to 11)
    Robert Kranjec (Up 4 places, from 22 to 18)
    Daiki Ito (Up 1 place, from 27 to 26)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 2 places, from 30 to 28)
    Richard Freitag (Up 3 places, from 32 to 29)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 6 places, from 36 to 30)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 9 places, from 42 to 33)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 5 places, from 40 to 35)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 4 places, from 46 to 42)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 3 places, from 47 to 44)
    Andreas Wellinger (Up 8 places, from 57 to 49)
    Andreas Wank (Up 7 places, from 70 to 63)
    Andreas Stjernen (Up 18 places, from 86 to 68)

Kenneth Gangnes (New on list, from xx to 47)
    Johann Andre Forfang (New on list, from xx to 50)
    Daniel Andre Tande (New on list, from xx to 65)
    Domen Prevc (New on list, from xx to 86)
    Joachim Hauer (New on list, from xx to 100)

After season 2014/2015:
    Simon Ammann (Up 1 place, from 5 to 4)
    Anders Bardal (Up 1 place, from 7 to 6)
    Kamil Stoch (Up 1 place, from 12 to 11)
    Severin Freund (Up 12 places, from 24 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 1 place, from 14 to 13)
    Peter Prevc (Up 9 places, from 26 to 17)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 7 places, from 37 to 30)
    Richard Freitag (Up 3 places, from 35 to 32)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 29 places, from 65 to 36)
    Jernej Damjan (Up 1 place, from 38 to 37)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 32 places, from 72 to 40)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 27 places, from 69 to 42)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 2 places, from 48 to 46)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 9 places from 56 to 47)
    Rune Velta (Up 26 places, From 75 to 49)
    Piotr Zyla (Up 4 places from 57 to 53)
    Marinus Kraus (Up 10 places, from 83 to 73)

Markus Eisenbichler (New on list, from xx to 77)

After season 2013/2014:
    Gregor Schlierenzauer (up 1 place, from 3 to 2)
    Anders Bardal (up 2 places, from 9 to 7)
    Kamil Stoch (up 12 places, from 24 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (up 6 places, from 20 to 14)
    Robert Kranjec (up 2 places, from 22 to 20)
    Severin Freund (up 3 places, from 27 to 24)
    Peter Prevc (up 12 places, from 38 to 26)
    Jernej Damjan (up 8 places, from 46 to 38)
    Taku Takeuchi (up 5 places, from 53 to 48)
    Andreas Wellinger (up 35 places, from 89 to 54)
    Jan Matura (up 2 places, from 57 to 55)
    Jurij Tepes (up 5 places, from 61 to 56)
    Piotr Zyla (up 2 places, from 59 to 57)
    Maciej Kot (up 16 places, from 76 to 60)
    Anssi Koivuranta (up 10 places, from 78 to 68)
    Anders Fannemel (up 20 places, from 92 to 72)

Thomas Diethart (new on this list, from xx to 61)
    Stefan Kraft (new on this list, from xx to 66)
    Michael Hayböck (new on this list, from xx to 70)
    Marinus Kraus (new on this list, from xx to 83)

After season 2012/2013:
    Gregor Schlierenzauer (up 2 places, from 5 to 3)
    Anders Bardal (up 3 places, from 13 to 10)
    Anders Jacobsen (up 5 places, from 17 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (up 1 place, from 20 to 19)
    Tom Hilde (up 1 place, from 24 to 23)
    Kamil Stoch (up 6 places, from 30 to 24)
    Severin Freund (up 9 places, from 37 to 28)
    Michael Neumayer (up 3 places, from 33 to 30)
    Richard Freitag (up 14 places, from 49 to 35)
    Peter Prevc (up 21 places, from 60 to 39)
    Taku Takeuchi (up 9 places, from 62 to 53)
    Piotr Zyla (up 15 places, from 76 to 61)
    Jurij Tepes (up 29 places, from 92 to 63)
    Anders Fannemel (up 1 place, from 96 to 95)

Jan Matura (new on this list, from xx to 58)
    Jaka Hvala (new on this list, from xx to 75)
    Maciej Kot (new on this list, from xx to 76)
    Andreas Stjernen (new on this list, from xx to 83)
    Andreas Wellinger (new on this list, from xx to 92)

After season 2011/2012:
    Anders Bardal (up 11 places, from 24 to 13)
    Martin Koch (up 4 places, from 20 to 16)
    Robert Kranjec (up 3 places, from 25 to 22)
    Daiki Ito (up 8 places, from 34 to 26)
    Kamil Stoch (up 18 places, from 48 to 30)
    Roman Koudelka (up 11 places, from 45 to 34)
    Severin Freund (up 16 places, from 53 to 37)
    Denis Kornilov (up 5 places, from 60 to 55)
    David Zauner (up 3 places, from 61 to 58)
    Peter Prevc (up 20 places, from 80 to 60)
    Taku Takeuchi (up 36 places, from 98 to 62)
    Andreas Wank (up 20 places, from 85 to 65)
    Maximilian Mechler (up 5 places, from 99 to 94)

Richard Freitag (new on the list, from xx to 50)
    Lukas Hlava (new on the list, from xx to 66)
    Rune Velta (new on the list, from xx to 71)
    Vegard Haukø Sklett (new on the list, from xx to 72)
    Anssi Koivuranta (new on the list, from xx to 74)
    Piotr Zyla (new on the list, from xx to 78)
    Jurij Tepes (new on the list, from xx to 92)
    Anders Fannemel (new on the list, from xx to 96)

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   10 weeks 19 hours ago

Jumpers climbing the list this season:

Simon Ammann (Up 1 place, from 4 to 3)
    Severin Freund (Up 4 places, from 12 to 8)
    Peter Prevc (Up 8 places, from 17 to 9)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 2 places, from 13 to 11)
    Robert Kranjec (Up 4 places, from 22 to 18)
    Daiki Ito (Up 1 place, from 27 to 26)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 2 places, from 30 to 28)
    Richard Freitag (Up 3 places, from 32 to 29)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 6 places, from 36 to 30)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 9 places, from 42 to 33)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 4 places, from 40 to 36)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 4 places, from 46 to 42)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 3 places, from 47 to 44)
    Kenneth Gangnes (New on list, from xx to 47)
    Andreas Wellinger (Up 8 places, from 57 to 49)
    Johann Andre Forfang (New on list, from xx to 52)
    Andreas Wank (Up 6 places, from 70 to 64)
    Daniel Andre Tande (New on list, from xx to 65)
    Andreas Stjernen (Up 20 places, from 86 to 66)
    Domen Prevc (New on list, from xx to 83)
    Joachim Hauer (New on list, from xx to 99)