• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 2 days ago

BTW, the genre is radio drama/comedy. It's really freaking crazy.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 2 days ago

Hmmm... perhaps something will come to me, but I'm struggling to think of a really suitable comparison. Probably Tarr would be the most congruent: both have stunning photography (there may be a bit of Ford in Zvyagintsev's landscapes), both are brutally emotive, and both have caustic visions of life. Yet, for all that, for example, Satantango has to say about a socially volatile time, its engagement with political culture is relatively indirect as compared to Leviathan. I'd say more in that respect, but I think it's better to be surprised by the baldness of his images. The mise en scène is unforgettable, intense, and--at times--downright disturbing.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 2 days ago

Re: Eyes Wide Shut ... yeah, it's strange. Though I guess it's nothing new with Kubrick's films. Very few (any?) of them were universally hailed upon release. Like Welles, he's an example of a director rarely completely understood on initial observations. I've seen it maybe 4 or 5 times over the years (including in theater when it was released; in a very quiet, confused, tentative-to-praise audience...) I'll probably revisit it again soon -- you've inspired me!!! -- that ceremony scene is indeed hypnotic/nightmarish.

Re: Barry Lyndon ... hopefully the same thing happens for me. I rated it "under-7/10" on my first (and only) viewing some years back...

Re: Spartacus ... amazingly, I don't think I've seen it. I'm pretty sure it's the only Kubrick film I haven't seen.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 2 days ago

Thank you, I'm considering seeing it sometime this month. Any directors' works you might compare it to?

• Film Log   2 weeks 3 days ago

I'm not at all familiar with his films, and it's hard to imagine a bigger compliment than being heir to Ozu. I'll have to check.

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   2 weeks 3 days ago

That's a possibility - maybe during or after I manage to catch up my classical list a bit more.

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   2 weeks 3 days ago

How about a Most Invigorating Musical Works of all Time?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 3 days ago

Thank you, sounds intriguing! I'll add those when I update this list tonight!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 3 days ago

I'd like to know your opinion about Lucio Battisti's late albums, namely Don Giovanni and L'apparenza. I discovered him thanks to maxshrek's everchanging Desert Island list and I liked him immediately. He's an italian balladeer from the 60s that was clearly influenced by folk rock artists like Tim Buckley or Leonard Cohen. Those two albums however are two of his most experimental (even though they were made during the 80s synthpop era). The melodies never settle and the atmospheres are haunting - something that puts him closer to Robert Wyatt, for example.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 4 days ago

I loved it on my first viewing but I'll have to see it a few more times until I really understand it. Any tips?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks Ill add it and check it out!

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

Duly noted. Have you seen anything by Hirokazu Kore-eda by chance? He's another one of Ozu's cinematic heirs as well as being, in my opinion, one of the best directors working today. I've heard that he shares a lot of similarities with Hou.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Forget everything else I have recommended for now; listen to Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers by The Firesign Theatre.

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

I haven't seen too many of his films myself, but I--without hesitation--recommend A Time to Live and a Time to Die, Café Lumière and Good Men, Good Women. It's hard to rank them because they all cover different ground, though I will say A Time has some of the greatest moments I've ever seen in art. Shigehiko Hasumi wrote "Ozu’s talent lies in choosing an image that can function poetically at a particular moment by being assimilated into the film, not by affixing to the film the image of an object that is considered poetic in a domain outside the film." The same can be said of Hou: his pace is slow, his vision nuanced, and he allows us the privilege of seeing the subtleties that compose daily life but don't normally register.

• Favorite Literature [archived]   2 weeks 4 days ago

Nice list.

• Film Log   2 weeks 4 days ago

I've been interested in Hou Hsiao-Hsien for a while now. Are there any good entry points into his filmography?

• Media Log 2015 (Discontinued)   2 weeks 4 days ago

No problem, I've also thought Playtime would make a good parallel to Millions Now Living Will Never Die (though maybe it's too playful and colorful) ... Famously, Tati built an entire city as his set for the film. It's a one-of-a-kind, visually and structurally unique, experience -- enjoy :)

• Media Log 2015 (Discontinued)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, I've heard great things about that film. My expectations are even higher now, considering how much I love Future Days! :D

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Maybe she just didn't have the strength/endurance to echo Lisa Germano-esque depths of despair/grief for more than one album. Hard to blame her...

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Awesome, no problem :-)

Thanks for the recommendations! Just tried Brahms' 4th Symphony, and I can see what you mean! I'm looking forward to re-listening to it, and checking out the other two works you mentioned as well.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   2 weeks 4 days ago

That Cat Power is awesome. Shame she has never gotten anywhere near it's greatness in subsequent albums, in my opinion.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 4 days ago

From now on, the only way is down for me ;-)

• Media Log 2015 (Discontinued)   2 weeks 5 days ago

If you're interested in a possible film that corresponds well with Future Days, Tati's Playtime is a good bet (I'd have to revisit it to be sure).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   2 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks, Christgau is an insightful, always amusing, writer -- whether I agree with him or not!