• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 12 hours ago

Alright. Thanks, as always.

And, do you think B-Boy Bouillabaisse is potentially one of the stand-alone best hip-hop songs ever? I'd say it's top 10-20 or so, along with Iron Galaxy.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 13 hours ago

Lol, I made it 1/2 a song into the Limp Bizkit album and didn't want to continue. I'll give it a fairer chance in the near future. It's just not music I want to hear right now. Can totally see where you're coming from...

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 13 hours ago

Thanks :-) I'm intrigued. Will revisit the album soon, and hopefully check out the Memphis track soon too.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 13 hours ago

There's no secret I know of. If I don't understand the word and I want to do so, I just use a dictionary, and there are several dictionary sites. If I don't understand the reference, but am interested in knowing, I just google it and find a reliable answer to the reference (google is a great search engine but is full of unreliable answers too. Same with wikipedia).

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 13 hours ago

This is admittedly a silly question, but is there an easier way to understand lyrics? I have trouble understanding references musicians will make in their songs or general vagueness. Is there any "secret" to understanding them easier, aside from just being aware of the references or something like that? I'd prefer not to have to rely on genius.com or something to give away the meaning for me, being able to do figure it out myself. It's more fun that way!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 14 hours ago

Small world!....Blend for sure. i thought of Memphis mostly as a historical milestone pre-65 as it blends the original's swamp blues bassline with a deconstructed version of the melody, early live Velvet Undergroundish AND Grateful Deadish trance, surf music, and the ambient qualities of Electric Ladyland.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 15 hours ago

Dismiss 20th Century Popular Music pre-1965? ... I dont know of any rock music at that time that I would consider emotionally/conceptually extraordinary within the context of music history. If I lower those standards a bit, certain songs stand out in a limited context. This isn't the case with jazz music or classical music of the time.

Sorry but I don't feel the Beatles earlier music is even remotely in the same ballpark as what's on this list. I'm sure a lot more people would agree with you than me so its not something I would be concerned with.

I don't have any contempt for music that appeals to the masses. On the majority, such music seems almost guaranteed to have lesser depth than others that were a bit too experimental or off the beaten path to be popular, but there are several classic or popular albums on my lists too. I think its pretty obvious with those Beatles albums and other rock artists of the period too, that they weren't trying to do anything extraordinary -- just having the time of their lives making catchy music. There's nothing objectively wrong with that -- the resulting body of work just isn't what I am interested in or want to spend my time listening to. I am pretty thorough on my criteria page in covering what I am interested in, and that should make it clear why I wouldn't rate The Beatles early-to-mid period albums highly.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 15 hours ago

Thank you, yes I have, though never rated. I've been itching to revisit so your timing couldnt be more perfect! I'll add it!

Don't think I've heard "Memphis" yet. Should I add it to the songs (7.3+)?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 15 hours ago

Have you ever checked out Sandy Bull? He was one of the first "american primitive" musicians (guitar, banjo, and Morrican oud) and the first to adopt eastern and jazz music (influencing Fahey). "Blend" (21 minutes!), from his 1963 debut Fantasias For Guitar & Banjo w Ornette Coleman's drummer was probably the most evocative and adventurous composition yet made outide of classical/avant/jazz:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QUgj94xGS3g
    He also recorded a very ahead of its time 10 minute electric cover of Chuck Berry's "Memphis" in 1964, which gives way yo a kind of ambient psychedelic jazz: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4_pXCTpjRg

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 16 hours ago

The drums are okay. The rolls are solid. Ringo, to me, is a boring drummer most of the time. Twist and Shout is maybe his best early performance. For rock of the period, its probably just fine (is it better that Be My Baby?), but it doesnt hold a candle to contemporary works that utilized percussion in a much more incredible fashion especially if one looks at jazz of the day (to use some peak, unfair, obvious -- and probably eye-rolling -- examples, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady or the next year with A Love Supreme, or 1960's Freedom Now Suite...). The point is, rock music was very far behind at the time and didn't start catching up until Dylan's tide-changing 65/66 phase.

My criteria page makes it totally clear why I wouldn't rate them highly, particularly the earlier stuff. If you want me to go into further details, I suppose you can keep querying, but just realize Im not going to have much of anything enthusiastic to say about music that isn't concerned with producing much emotional/conceptual depth. There's nothing wrong with what they're doing at that time, its just not what I look for. I find all of their earlier music boring, inconsequential, or at best, mediocre (off the top of my head I dont think there are any exceptions for their first few albums). You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Help, Michelle, Girl, Drive Your Car, Hard Days Night and probably a few others, are when they get a bit more interesting. Tomorrow Never Knows is their first bite of music that I feel actually is transcendent. If it were longer and continued to elaborate in the direction it was going, it could be really amazing.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Re: drumming... Not sure how you're missing it, but the drums are NOT gentle. The DBs are good but they haven't really made an anthem like Twist and Shout. This is not a criticism, they've still made some exciting stuff.
    Re: Why endured?... From a popularity standpoint, the Beatles in general have endured but I don't think Please Please Me will be as much of an instant favourite for some these days as their more mature works. So when Twist and Shout is considered the highlight by pretty much everybody, you know there's something special about it. Rumble and You Really Got Me are a point of comparison, as I mentioned before. As far as Britney Spears goes, I disagree with you that most of her music will endure, I can only see a few like Baby One More Time and Toxic being remembered by critics and the public, and these songs are actually good, however dismissable most of her stuff may be. You can already see that she's been replaced by many new artists, and they're the same: some killer, a lot of filler. That's also the way many see the Beatles' early work, which is fine but you have to acknowledge the "killer" stuff at least.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

I don't find those points relevant in any substantial way to the listening experience but it is cool that it helps you appreciate the song more.

Re: Springsteen, etc ... I was just mentioning some radio-friendly artists that I do find make music of excellent depth, as a point of comparison.

Re: drumming ... The drums are okay, I just feel they play their instruments too "gently" and ordinarily to effect the excitement the song could convey. Lennon as usual is the best part (vocals). The DBs have a much better idea of how to best handle such music, especially rhythmically.

Re: Why endured? ... I don't really feel they have, but that's just me. Obviously, from a popularity standpoint, The Beatles early music have more than endured. But there are plenty of songs from the 90's and 00's that will endure with the public as well, that are bad or mediocre (Baby One More Time for starters, not that Britney Spears is in the same league as The Beatles...).

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 1 day ago

I like Rage Against the Machine. It's been a long time with Deftones and Slipknot but I remember being mixed about them at the time.

• Music Rankings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

You like 1962-1966? I always thought it was a weak comp. Too much 1965 stuff, 1966 is completely ignored.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 1 day ago

Do you like Korn, Rage Against the Machine, Deftones or Slipknot? Now they've made albums worth checking out. But I don't know what Scaruffi sees in Limp Bizkit, they're mildly entertaining at their best and insanely cringe-inducing at worst.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

I never argued it's as good as Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Stevie Wonder, etc. I'm just saying that it's still a good song and not a mediocre one. You didn't respond to the points I quoted, perhaps because you didn't think they're worth responding to? I still feel they show how the song stood out at the time, but if you don't agree, then that's fine.
    You got me wrong: no comment on the guitar work, but the drumming is definitely enhancing the effect of the vocals. And if any similar artist could have come up with it, why is it that it's the definitive version of the song and few rock songs of the era have endured? You Really Got Men's riff seems like nothing compared to the hard rock and heavy metal that came later, Rumble seems simplistic...but they're still masterpieces.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

So you just forget about and dismiss every form of 20th century popular music before 1965? Even if that same music created the language/aesthetics erudite and conceptual rock were based on - and, in that sense, couldn't be more consequential. It seems that you're only willing to accept this exercise of retrospective artistic one-upping if the Beatles are the starting point - the bottom of the pyramid. As if music before them was too pointless to even consider. It's not me who's advocating some kind Beatles-exceptionalism, it seems. I think pre-1965 popular music can be as fulfilling and enjoyable as later stuff and is probably too important to be discarded like that by personal criteria.

And that contempt for music that "appeals to the masses" is especially troubling during this time. For one thing, if it weren't for this music that appealed to the masses you wouldn't have the same music that doesn't appeal to the masses later on (say goodbye to the dB's and a big chunk of The Feelies). The Beatles had a big part in setting the rules many future bands went on to follow, push forward, and break. We can't have a vanguard without a norm, and what is now perceived as the norm was once a vanguard - and a pretty exciting and fruitful one. And what is now seen as an appeal to the masses in the past may very well have been an 'appeal to themselves' that just became widely popular.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Re: People only listening for nostalgia... Well, no, all Ive ever said is I dont get much out of it. Obviously, there are no shortage of fans for The Beatles, Elvis, etc.

Re: DBs ... I think its much more relevant (emotionally) whether they'd agree or not. Stands for Decibels will never approach the social impact of Beatlemania, but imo, it makes their earlier/mid-period music sound completely revitalized and backed by the rythmic dexterity and anxious enthusiastic hysteria that it needed to be a more fully fledged experience...

Re: Please Please Me brought breath of fresh air ... You very well could be right. I dont feel rock music had advanced to a stage where it was particularly interesting, more than a passing fancy. Whatever advancement they pose, it sounds very mild to me over what others were doing/had done. I find Dylan to be the much more powerful shot in the arm, especially by 1965

Re: Able to enjoy? ... To a mild extent I suppose. Those artists dont interest me too much musically. There is just too much music that has far surpassed it to keep it relevant. I'm not thinking about non-sequitor works while listening. I am listening and observing what's in front of me and determining its emotional/evocative content and ingenuity as I do so, and experiencing its impact.

Re: Unique things/never find a place ... This is a misconception. There are far superior examples of those qualities across music history that I am more than happy to recognize, and do, this very list included.

• Music Rankings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

I haven't heard Give yet, but Made Possible was one of my favorite releases when it was released. Also that Meredith Monk album is great, really brings something new to vocal music.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Re: King Sunny Ade ... Thank you

Re: Scaruffi ... Makes sense. To clarify, I use his site as a guide for what to listen to. It's something he has "earned" from me by being so "right" so consistently (imo). I simply don't have the time to go through all the mediocre stuff to find the 7.5/10+ (or at least 7/10) stuff (like he somehow has) and I've found him to be a great source for filtering this out, as our criteria is so similar. I don't however use his opinions to form my own -- or at least "automatically"... In cases where I disagree, there are times I will read something he writes about an album and it will sometimes change my mind, but I still have to experience it myself before I change the rating.

I usually do agree with him, obviously -- or at least in the same ballpark.

Re: De La Soul ... Sweet

• My Favorite Music   3 weeks 1 day ago

His first symphony is quite possibly the most "over the top" work of music of all time. I highly recommend his piano quintet, string trio, first concerto grosso, and symphonies nos. 1 and 5 (symphony 5 is also his 4th concerto grosso). His later symphonies are also very good, but much different in character, and I haven't fully digested them yet to give a confident recommendation to any.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

If 7.8/10+ means top 150 or so, then yes. I specifically suggest "Live Live Ju Ju" 'cause that's the best King Sunny Ade album I've got. If you found a better one, let me know.

Re: Jay/Rakim ... I'm assuming you always use his opinions as your guide and that he never writes with the intention of creating or predicting your opinions. Hence "shouldn't" instead of "wouldn't".

Re: De La Soul ... My guess is you wouldn't be disappointed with any of their first 4 albums.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Haha, definitely :-)

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Gotcha...yeah it's not really an expression of exited anticipation for the awaiting groupies.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

I dont think it really qualifies even though I see where you're coming from. Imo, Exile is a bit too grimy and dirty and sexually aggressive and animalistic, though through all that there is some light as well. Rolling Stones are a bit too punk for the optimism to be prominent enough. Exile should probably be added to my "invigorating" list if I haven't already.