• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

No, no, no! Forget Ivan for now: Tarkovsky is just beginning to tap into his genius there. I'd say Andrei Rublev or Stalker... the latter is more demanding, the former more conventional insofar as having a narrative, though Tarkovsky does not at all strictly abide by it. Those are value neutral descriptions, btw, as both are masterpieces. Alternately: Mirror is his shortest film (90 minutes!), perhaps the richest and most resourceful use of cinematic language ever, and absolutely perfect.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

In terms of accessibility, probably Ivan's Childhood, though its also the least representative of his later works. I could be wrong but I think Stalker is probably the most common one that people first develop a love for Tarkovsky's cinema with.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 5 days ago

I was surprised at my own reaction to Birdman. I fully expected to enjoy it, which I did for the first 30 minutes or so. By the 60 minute mark I surrendered any hope. By the end, I realized I had just spent 2 hours watching clumsy satire (which was neither funny nor insightful), and thinly drawn caricatures delivery poorly written monologues. Somehow the film managed to be less than the sum of it's parts.

As for The Last Picture Show, yeah, I really do love that film.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

Which film would be the best starting point for Tarkovsky's filmography?

• Best rock albums of the 1990s   2 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks, it's still a pretty incomplete list. Mos Def is great, and BoBS is probably my favorite hip-hop album. Really progressive stuff. Entroducing I like, Building Steam with a Grain of Salt is fantastic. Haven't listened to it in a while so maybe I'll give it another go. I see what you mean about Under Glass. Lots of interesting dynamics that I don't really hear on Well Oiled. For some reason I had always put off listening to it.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 5 days ago

I liked Birdman more than you but I also agree with the points you made, just not to the same degree of dislike. Also, I was a bit surprised it won Best Picture. When I saw it I didn't think of it as a typical Academy favorite (not that I even give a rats ass anymore which film wins it).

Also, didn't know you were such a big fan of Last Picture Show. Love that film!

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   2 weeks 5 days ago

I'm guessing slowcore is just slow guitar music with melancholy lyrics and brooding or dreary vocals.

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   2 weeks 6 days ago

You think "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat" is better than "Yer Blues"?

In all honesty please don't compare Bob Dylan albums to The Beatles.

Even Dylan has gone on record saying The Beatles were just too harmonious and melodically inclined to have a really bad song.

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

"Are the vocals reminiscent of Low's or My Bloody Valentine's? I don't know."

For the most part, I'd say her vocals are reminiscent of MBV. Fey, buried under layered distorted guitars. Even in Silence and Hour of the Trace definitely sound like shoegaze to me. That said, as a songwriter she seems to have more in common with Codeine than MBV.

• Best Sean Connery as James Bond 007 Film?   2 weeks 6 days ago

Wow, 'Never Say Never Again' got a vote before 'Thunderball'...

• Best rock albums of the 1990s   2 weeks 6 days ago

One of the best 90's lists I've seen. Great to see the high ranking of Mos Def's masterpiece. The only thing I disagree with is Entroducing (I find it very fascinating, definitely in the top 10 for me). I like to recommend Hash Jar Tempo's Under Glass, which is even better than Well Oiled imho.

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   2 weeks 6 days ago

Post-Punk/Art Punk list would be awesome. There's a huge variety of masterpieces tagged as these genres. Minutemen EPs are great. Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat might be the best one. It's rawer and more confrontational than Double Nickels and might have something you would consider appropriate for this list. All of their EPs are collected on the Post-Merch compilations.

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 6 days ago

Google this : html code span class gray

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 6 days ago

How do you type in gray text?

Which 'Blonde on Blonde' songs would you categorize as filler?

• Greatest Works of Art   2 weeks 6 days ago

Agreed, it is an amazingly spiritual album. At its best, it's just breathtaking.

I like Cassavetes in general but A Woman Under the Influence wasn't as intimidating as Faces so it gets the high rating from me! I still need to figure that film out.

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

It's a diaphanous, ethereal album. Both introspective (a la shoegazing) and loopy and trance-like (a la psychedelia). This creates the effect of an intense overlapping of the mind and the cosmos, and a sense of duality, between mind and matter, and between human "music" and electronics. Particularly cool because the detached vocals are both struck by the inhumanly ambient sounds and rescued by the elegant rhythm of the guitar and also the piano.

I'm wondering whether she is even slowcore, and whether "slowcore" is even a legitimate genre. I'm thinking it might just be shoegazing/psychedelia. Are the vocals reminiscent of Low's or My Bloody Valentine's? I don't know.

• Greatest Works of Art   2 weeks 6 days ago

Nice to see some props to Talk Talk! Spirit of Eden is such a masterpiece. Very cool to see Woman Under the Influence here too, perhaps my favorite Cassavettes.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   3 weeks 2 hours ago

I hope you see this post, I know it has been 4 years but I was searching for the same cartoon and finally found it. It's called 'The Yum Yums and the Day Things Went Sour.' You can watch it on Youtube. :)

• History's Most Interesting People... According To Me   3 weeks 10 hours ago

The man even fought of death longer than anyone could imagine.

buy soundcloud followers

2015-03-13: 007 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-03-11: 018 accounts, 02 comments, 00 pages
    2015-03-08: 001 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-03-07: 003 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-03-02: 005 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 1 day ago

I agree with your take too. The album is so "physically" immersive, compositionally unstable and psychologically varied that it's open to multiple interpretations simultaneously.

• Favorite TV Shows   3 weeks 1 day ago

The greatest scene from the greatest show?

Granted, competition is pretty stiff...

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 1 day ago

It's junk art made by a young and completely stoned Lou Reed to get out of a contract by doing whatever he wants. It's so random and heartless it has a class of its own. I have no idea where to rank it yet.

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 1 day ago