• Favorite albums   4 weeks 11 hours ago

I don't know. But I think the best tracks are "Solid Gold Tooth," "Yin Jim Versus the Vomit Creature," "(Edge of the) Ape Oven," and "Lick My Boots."

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 5   4 weeks 15 hours ago

-no vote yet
    A Love Supreme
    The Parable of Arable Land
    Daydream Nation
    The Dance of the Moon and the Sun
    Live
    -undecided
    + Goat
    The Velvet Underground and Nico
    Metal Machine Music

There's a Riot Goin' On is the unluckiest album in this tournament. Sad to see it go so soon!

• Fave literature   4 weeks 17 hours ago

I didn't enjoy Importance at all, but that may not be Wilde's fault entirely. I saw a National Theatre screening of it and the sound was poorly done; everything seemed too loud, and consequently grated to the point I considered walking out. Although I clearly understood everything, there is no doubt this aspect had a negative impact on the entire experience. That said, I didn't find it funny at all; the humour just seemed really dated. I don't even remember the specifics of the narrative very well.

• Favorite albums   4 weeks 23 hours ago

What do you think of Twin Infinitives?

• Fave literature   4 weeks 23 hours ago

It was depressing but a great read nonetheless. I'm also very interested in Olivier's version but I don't know where to find it. [What's your opinion of the Wilde play btw?]

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll definitely look for it whenever I visit a bookstore!

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   4 weeks 1 day ago

Lorca
    Original Sin
    Loveless
    Moondance
    +Spiderland
    +Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain

• Best Albums of the 2000's & 2010's   4 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks, no problem, I'm kind of back and forth on the ultimate merits of each but they're both well worth checking out and undoubtedly have stunning segments. HumanEmotions introduced me to Encarnado and, though I'd heard of World's End Girlfriend, gobble's list turned my attention to Hurtbreak Wonderland.

• Best Albums of the 2000's & 2010's   4 weeks 1 day ago

I hadn't heard of Jucara Marcal or World's End Girlfriend before stumbling upon this list. They are both pretty interesting, especially Jucara Marcal. Thanks for introducing them to me.

• Greatest Cover Versions   4 weeks 1 day ago

Very nice list. I was thinking of doing something like this, so I might as well just "clone" this.

• Favorite TV Shows   4 weeks 1 day ago

I think the series really finds its footing with the particularly gripping Episode 3 and never lets up from then onwards; I hope the 4th season keeps that level of quality up. I'm interested in how the creators plan to bring Moriarty back, can't think of anything; then again, it's not like I can match the show's creators anyway, so I'll just have to wait and see.

And you're right btw, it's mentioned in that episode as well. I still find it weird; then again, it's no weirder than anything else about him I guess.

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order ––Recommendations and criticism welcome   4 weeks 1 day ago

Very interesting choices and ranking. It'd be great to have your votes on the tournament for best album on my page.

It's great to see a truly original list. I recommend This Heat's debut as a thank-you for all the new albums you've introduced here.

• List of Must-Watch Movies   4 weeks 1 day ago

Definitely watch it, but don't expect it to be a great film. It is still competent and well-made though and by the looks of it, it seems to be the best that the industry can produce at this time unfortunately (haven't seen any Pakistani films from 2014-15 but none of their trailers seem promising enough to motivate me to check them out)

• Favorite TV Shows   4 weeks 1 day ago

Sorry! Missed this post. My favourite season of Sherlock is easily the second. I think all the episodes are strong and sufficiently different from one another (the introduction of Irene, the psychological terror of Baskerville, the machinations of Moriarty). I like all of the episodes, but the first season is probably the weakest. Lots of interesting, and comic, moments--mostly centered on character development--but it's still finding its feet in terms of narratives. The third season is good, but I had some minor demurrals, such as episode 1 having no plot. The overarching villain was great, though, and I've liked the development of the Mycroft/Sherlock relationship.

Re: his lack of knowledge in the books; my memory is a bit hazy, but if I remember correctly that's alluded to in S01E03 when Sherlock doesn't know some utterly mundane and universal fact about astronomy.

• Favorite TV Shows   4 weeks 1 day ago

^ See above question.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul/Hip Hop] (in-progress)   4 weeks 1 day ago

Surely Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Julia and Honey Pie also deserve a mention as highlights?

• Favorite movies   4 weeks 2 days ago

I do try to think objectively about art, and that leads to obsessive thinking and a lot of self-scrutiny. It is a constructive process but I do it way too much. I'm going to stop. I should just enjoy the art and let my "good or bad" judgments evolve naturally over time.

• The Greatest Fantasy Novels   4 weeks 2 days ago

Yep, it's a classic. Clarke does a great job recreating the early 1800s; the amount of detail she crams in is impressive.
    Have you seen any of the TV adaptation that BBC just started airing? I'm slightly curious, but it's not starting in the U.S. (where I'm from) until later this month.

• Fave literature   4 weeks 2 days ago

Yes to Chekhov! One of my favourites. I'm very interested in Olivier's Uncle Vanya... Sadly, I haven't seen any dramatizations of Chekhov's plays.

While I'm here, I recommend Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians. I just reread it the other day (literally, it's only ~150pgs) and it was absolutely astonishing. One of the greats.

• Favorite movies   4 weeks 2 days ago

Ive been there :) it can be quite a process, especially if you're trying to rate/rank objectively? Is that true or just an isolated instance you mentioned above? Anyhow, many of these are similar to my ratings of some years ago, several (not all) of which will be returning back to similar previous ratings after recent (still un-posted, still in-progress) re-evaluations.

Anyway, interesting to see your take on these and Im looking forward to its expansion/evolution, and perhaps some future discussions of films merits/content etc!

• Favorite movies   4 weeks 2 days ago

My head hurts

• The Greatest Fantasy Novels   4 weeks 2 days ago

Good to see Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell here, awesome novel!

Movies

• 100 Greatest R&B Love Songs   4 weeks 3 days ago

Love songs always very touching and emotional and i love to listen love songs because i am in love. I always send different love songs to my partner and as well i send her different Love Picture Messages to her and make her happy and glad.

• Best Albums of the 2000's and 2010's   4 weeks 3 days ago