• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Vocalists   5 weeks 5 days ago

Fantastic singers.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Vocalists   5 weeks 5 days ago

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Vocalists   5 weeks 5 days ago

Brad Delp. Amen. Where the hell is he? Move Karen and Whitney up. And where is Ann Wilson? Billy Joel. And more recently, I'd even fight for Hayley Williams, Lacey Mosley. Better than Aguilera.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Vocalists   5 weeks 5 days ago

Good point.

• Longest Song Titles Ever   5 weeks 6 days ago

Missed one!
    "No Need for Introductions, I've Read About Girls Like You On the Backs of Toilet Doors" by Bring Me The Horizon

• Greatest Hard Rock Songs   5 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks! Sounds impressive (up to 3rd track). Interesting comparison with Iron Maiden's debut from the same year.

• Greatest Hard Rock Songs   5 weeks 6 days ago

Recently discovered Motoerhead's Ace of Spades. Awesome stuff. Might be your kind of thing. By the way, sweet list as usual.

• Original - Books you should read if you want to consider yourself well-read   6 weeks 19 hours ago

I can't believe you've only read 80 of these! What are you working through, now?

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   6 weeks 21 hours ago

Edition II, it's the only one I've heard as well. It would be interesting to compare the two however.

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   6 weeks 22 hours ago

Possibly, this list is very congested quality-wise. Any of the next 10 or so choices could be slightly ahead of it.

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   6 weeks 1 day ago

Which edition of Acsension? Do the 2 editions sound similar? I've only heard the second edition (first take I suppose)

• Greatest Films - Extended List   6 weeks 1 day ago

Good luck, it took me awhile too :-)

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   6 weeks 1 day ago

It's extremely subtle and very suicidal. Kinda like the polar opposite of the film. You make the call ;)

• Greatest Films - Extended List   6 weeks 1 day ago

Damn, I have so many films to watch :o I hope by next month, there would be only around 300 films on this list left to watch though.

• My Favorite Music   6 weeks 1 day ago

You can get it here:

• What misscurly read in 2014...   6 weeks 1 day ago

To Have and Have Not

I kept hoping that poor Harry would finally catch a break, as he struggled through one unlucky incident after another trying to keep his family afloat. Working out of Key West and running back and forth between it and Cuba, Harry begins the story as captain of a party fishing boat, accepting charters from tourists.

Clan of the Cave Bear

The story of Ayla, who becomes separated from her family by an earthquake, and becomes adopted by the people of the Clan. Although most of the people of the clan just think she's ugly, her adoptive father, Creb, the Mog-ur, searches back in his memories and realizes not only is she from a different evolutionary branch of humanoids, but she is the future that will lead to the Clan's extinction. Full of rich description of the medicinal plants and methods Ayla's adoptive mother, Iza, trains into her, I found that description excessive to the point of tedium. I also did not 'buy' the Neanderthal's cultural consciousness that allowed them to remember what their ancestors remembered.

Nellcott

A short tale of Alice, who is pursued by rock-star-esque Nellcott when she goes away to study at McGill. Right from the start, Alice knows that this is her opportunity to change from a girl to a woman, to take part in the world and leave the confines of her childhood bedroom in Toronto. As she blossoms, Alice begins to trust herself, and reaffirm her values.

• Most Invigorating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in-progress]   6 weeks 1 day ago

Isn't The End way too exhausting for The Doors to be as high as #6? Ascension at #5 though? Good call, that album/track is my jam.

• Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time   6 weeks 1 day ago

Americans don't care much for British acts do they. Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard normally place top 5ish in British polls but here they're so low. Chris Rock does seem a tad high, but he's probably important enough to be in the Top 10 -- maybe in the 8-10 range. Bill Hicks is an influential and seminal name, so he should have been in the Top 10, too.

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   6 weeks 1 day ago

Is It's a Wonderful Life better than the film of the same name? ;)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   6 weeks 1 day ago

I agree with you :) You've watched any of the other Best Picture nominees?

I enjoyed Gravity quite a bit, but probably not enough for my 7.3+ list. Though I thought its general emotional arc was a bit predictable and the ending a bit "Hollywood", I felt Cuaron stuck to his guns as far as symbolism. The film can be read as Bullock's character following a trajectory from conception to woom to birth, and standing on her feet at the end and walking, paralleling the recovery from the loss of her daughter as being "reborn" and personified within her, thus overcoming the loss. I found the special effects quite stunning.

• Greatest Films - Extended List   6 weeks 1 day ago

Out of those, I'd probably recommend these ones the most strongly to you:

Nostalghia-Tarkovsky (1983)
    Landscape in the Mist-Angelopoulos (1988)
    The Color of Paradise-Majidi (1998)
    Wings of Desire-Wenders (1987)
    Europa-Von Trier (1991)
    Eternity and a Day-Angelopoulos (1998)
    Dead Man-Jarmusch (1995)
    Sansho the Bailiff-Mizoguchi (1954)

Its style is pretty enjoyable and though it's overlong, it could have been a lot more boring. The performances are good as well. It's a nice comedy but I felt there wasn't much depth or point to it besides that. Then again I'm not sure if it actually has to have a point. I could rate it anything from 6/10 to 6.5/10 to be honest.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Gravity is slightly better. Which reminds me I need to watch Gravity again.

• Greatest Films - Extended List   6 weeks 1 day ago

About your list I miss these titles
    2.Metropolis-Lang (1927) ["The Complete Metropolis", 147 minutes]
    4.Brazil-Gilliam (1985) [The Final Cut, 142 minutes]
    5.Nostalghia-Tarkovsky (1983)
    10.The Kingdom-Von Trier (1994)
    11.Greed-Von Stroheim (1924) [Studio Cut, 140 minutes]
    16.Landscape in the Mist-Angelopoulos (1988)
    25.The Traveling Players-Angelopoulos (1975)
    31.The Color of Paradise-Majidi (1998)
    37.The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover-Greenaway (1989)
    41.City of Lost Children-Jeunet (1995)
    44.Miracle in Milan-De Sica (1951)
    45.The Man With A Movie Camera-Vertov (1928)
    51.Earth-Dovzhenko (1930)
    52.Satantango-Tarr (1994)
    54.Wings of Desire-Wenders (1987)
    58.Zardoz-Boorman (1972)
    61.12 Monkeys-Gilliam (1995)
    62.Dr. Akagi-Imamura (1998)
    64.The Blue Angel-Von Sternberg (1930)
    69.Europa-Von Trier (1991)
    71.Secret Ceremony-Losey (1968)
    Viridiana
    86.La Strada-Fellini (1954)
    87.Eternity and a Day-Angelopoulos (1998)
    91.The Last Laugh-Murnau (1924)
    92.A Face in the Crowd-Kazan (1957)
    93.Reservoir Dogs-Tarantino (1992)
    94.Leon: The Professional-Besson (1994)
    95.Close Encounters of the Third Kind-Spielberg (1977)
    96.The Seven Samurai-Kurosawa (1954)
    97.To Be or Not To Be-Lubitsch (1947)
    98.Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?-Yong-kyun (1989)
    101.Hard Boiled-Woo (1992)
    104.The Road Warrior-Miller (1981)
    107.Dead Man-Jarmusch (1995)
    108.Sansho the Bailiff-Mizoguchi (1954)
    110.The Pillow Book-Greenaway

• Most Invigorating Films (in progress)   6 weeks 1 day ago

Yes, I don't know where I'd place it, but it would probably fit somewhere on here. I need to update this list, as well as my other films lists. All of it is I/P right now.