• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 3 days ago

Alright. Here's another rec: Creature Comforts - Black Dice. Perhaps my favourite album of the 2000's.

• 50 Favorite Albums of the 2000s   3 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks. I like the Alcest album quite a bit, one of the better shoegaze (blackgaze?) albums ever, although I don't think most people would rate it as highly as I do. The Tired Sounds is highly recommended if you like ambient or drone music. It's hypnotic, and at times soothing, but there's a certain neurotic undertone that gives the album an edge.

• 25 Favorite Albums of the 2010s   3 weeks 3 days ago

It's been a little while since I've listen to it, but I like Tragedy. I remember being a little bored by some of the music concrete sections. It'd probably fall just outside my top 25, although I should give it another spin. I especially like the song "The Falling Age," which is truly trance-inducing.

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   3 weeks 3 days ago

I just think Well Paid Scientist is a much better song than any of those. The drive, the drums, the energy. The song just explodes in your face (you should see me air drumming to that drum solo at the end). I liked Nazi Punks Fuck Off and Too Drunk to Fuck, though (may add them to the list).

• Greatest Punk Rock Songs   3 weeks 3 days ago

Surprised to see Well Paid Scientist but not Holiday in Cambodia, Police Truck, Too Drunk to Fuck, California Uber Alles, or Nazi Punks Fuck Off (greatest one minute song ever). What qualities makes you prefer it?

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order ––Recommendations and criticism welcome   3 weeks 3 days ago

I just laid there doing nothing but listening: that's a fascinating album, thanks dawg

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks, I checked it out just now and thought it was solid throughout, but probably under-7/10.

• The Greatest Fantasy Novels   3 weeks 3 days ago

Exactly; I love the style! The footnotes are amazing as well.

I haven't seen the adaptation yet, as I don't watch TV and nor do I have any idea whether it's airing here in Pakistan. I might try it later through torrents if it gets good reviews.

Glad you dig

I saw them in Cleveland at the Market Avenue Wine Bar. I didnt know they existed before then (16 February 2013), it was a winter festival.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 4 days ago

Another rec: Everyone Asked About You - Everyone Asked About You (1997)

Just an 11-minute EP but I'm curious what you think of it.

• 25 Favorite Albums of the 2010s   3 weeks 4 days ago

Viscera is an excellent choice for #1. I've come close to upgrading to 7.8+ on my list. Have you checked out Holter's Tragedy yet?

• 50 Favorite Albums of the 2000s   3 weeks 4 days ago

Nice list. Includes a handful of favorites as well as several I haven't heard yet. Recently, I've been meaning to check out the Alcest's Souvenirs D’Un Autre Monde as well as The Tired Sounds of the Stars of the Lid.

• Favorite albums   3 weeks 4 days ago

I don't know. But I think the best tracks are "Solid Gold Tooth," "Yin Jim Versus the Vomit Creature," "(Edge of the) Ape Oven," and "Lick My Boots."

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 5   3 weeks 4 days ago

-no vote yet
    A Love Supreme
    The Parable of Arable Land
    Daydream Nation
    The Dance of the Moon and the Sun
    Live
    -undecided
    + Goat
    The Velvet Underground and Nico
    Metal Machine Music

There's a Riot Goin' On is the unluckiest album in this tournament. Sad to see it go so soon!

• Fave literature   3 weeks 4 days ago

I didn't enjoy Importance at all, but that may not be Wilde's fault entirely. I saw a National Theatre screening of it and the sound was poorly done; everything seemed too loud, and consequently grated to the point I considered walking out. Although I clearly understood everything, there is no doubt this aspect had a negative impact on the entire experience. That said, I didn't find it funny at all; the humour just seemed really dated. I don't even remember the specifics of the narrative very well.

• Favorite albums   3 weeks 5 days ago

What do you think of Twin Infinitives?

• Fave literature   3 weeks 5 days ago

It was depressing but a great read nonetheless. I'm also very interested in Olivier's version but I don't know where to find it. [What's your opinion of the Wilde play btw?]

Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I'll definitely look for it whenever I visit a bookstore!

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   3 weeks 5 days ago

Lorca
    Original Sin
    Loveless
    Moondance
    +Spiderland
    +Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain

• Best Albums of the 2000's & 2010's   3 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks, no problem, I'm kind of back and forth on the ultimate merits of each but they're both well worth checking out and undoubtedly have stunning segments. HumanEmotions introduced me to Encarnado and, though I'd heard of World's End Girlfriend, gobble's list turned my attention to Hurtbreak Wonderland.

• Best Albums of the 2000's & 2010's   3 weeks 5 days ago

I hadn't heard of Jucara Marcal or World's End Girlfriend before stumbling upon this list. They are both pretty interesting, especially Jucara Marcal. Thanks for introducing them to me.

• Greatest Cover Versions   3 weeks 5 days ago

Very nice list. I was thinking of doing something like this, so I might as well just "clone" this.

• Favorite TV Shows   3 weeks 5 days ago

I think the series really finds its footing with the particularly gripping Episode 3 and never lets up from then onwards; I hope the 4th season keeps that level of quality up. I'm interested in how the creators plan to bring Moriarty back, can't think of anything; then again, it's not like I can match the show's creators anyway, so I'll just have to wait and see.

And you're right btw, it's mentioned in that episode as well. I still find it weird; then again, it's no weirder than anything else about him I guess.

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order ––Recommendations and criticism welcome   3 weeks 5 days ago

Very interesting choices and ranking. It'd be great to have your votes on the tournament for best album on my page.

It's great to see a truly original list. I recommend This Heat's debut as a thank-you for all the new albums you've introduced here.