• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 2 days ago

Pretty sure it might be an April Fools joke but then I wanted to make sure.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

I see the public scrutinity and the helplessness to fate more as an ode to absurd than an existentialist reflection.
    For me North by Northwest is an excercise on the chaos and surrrealism of life and how a senseless quest can turn into something meaningful through romance. It also reflects the struggle against the status quo and the relevance of the individual over society and politics. Ultimately, it portrays these subjects with a ludricuous and unexpected way, like life itself.

Taxi Driver does the same (except for humor), but it goes beyond these themes and reflects a personal strive for vitality and significance while depicting the decay of modern urban society.

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 3 days ago

Fixed those. And thank you! :)

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 3 days ago

A few on here that I hadn't heard. Live, Transition, Creature Comforts, King Tubby, Ecstasy (really digging this one, might be a new favorite), The Koln Concert... All good stuff. Great list.

Also I feel like Sonic Youth released at least a few albums better than Daydream Nation during the 80s. Bad Moon Rising, Evol, and Sister are all fantastic.

• BEST 1000 DANCE TRACKS [1984-2009]   2 weeks 3 days ago

How about some Hardsequencer?
    From the Ear to the Brain
    Explosive Eruptions
    It doesn't lose it's flavour in cooking
    Sequencer Orgasm
    Take your pick, but turn it up loud ! :)

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 3 days ago

Lol

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 3 days ago

Now that's the perfect top 3 right there!

Oh, btw, you put the album name in grey instead of the artist name for The Velvet Underground (Closet Mix) and King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown (not that it makes much difference in the case of the VU album, lol)

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 3 days ago

It isn't possible to rate Metal Machine Music anything other than 11/10, so yes I'm assuming it's real.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 3 days ago

But pretty much everything profound in Taxi Driver is also in North by Northwest. The story about urban alienation and moral decay parallels the story about mistaken identity and confusion. The racism and sexism in Taxi Driver are in the umbrella of mistaken identity. The urban claustrophobia and the unexpected journey toward a fate that reflects more about the environment than about the person are similar. There is less loneliness and introspection in North by Northwest, but the scenes with crowds create an urban atmosphere in which one is lost and helpless to the public scrutiny, which implies loneliness.

There is a panoramic view in both movies of the things that fabricate identity and create illusions of our incompatibility and relative worthlessness - gender, race, political power, etc. - then there is a victimization that is both defensive and offensive: defensive because it is like a movement against that animosity and offensive because it leads to the tragedy of having to take things into one's own hands, without any agreement (not even from the prostitute, who wants to remain). Then there is a loss of everything that was important, followed by an almost nihilistic, all-or-nothing rescue mission (of the woman who was the only thing that was important, though she is a metaphor for the person who will accept the differences when society won't). North by Northwest is better just because there is humor on top of it all, without undermining the suspense. It lacks terror, but the sorrow is the same because it emerges from a vision of prejudice and our drowning in urban alienation, and the terror is not all that important compared to Hitchcock's suspense, as terror is implicit in suspense.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 3 days ago

Very interesting point of view. I still don't see it as profound as you mention, or as Taxi Driver. I agree that both manage with the effect of environment on one's identity but I think Taxi Driver refeclts it in a more affecting mood, while North by Northwest is driven mainly by suspense and humor. I also believe that moral and political topics involved overlap the human message you mention.
    Anyway, I guess I see why you like it so much, but I think that Taxi Driver, for example, is more brilliant.

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 3 days ago

Lol :) oh wait ... Is the 11/10 category real?

• Best "Slowcore" Albums   2 weeks 3 days ago

It's totally unclear whether Lisa Germano (Geek the Girl) should be here. Or On Fire and California. It seems the "twinkling" guitar (hollow, creepy, angular) is necessary, which is only in "Cry Wolf," and which On Fire and California lack. If it is not necessary then it seems like an untenable genre.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

I meant that those were the ones which appealed to me the most concept-wise anyway. Thanks for the comparisons to the albums by the way; actually, I got the idea to watch Tarkovsky's films when I saw the Spirit of Eden/The Sacrifice comparison on your "Corresponding Works of Art" list, which intrigued me because I recently got into Spirit of Eden.

re: calvinandhobbes... To the Lighthouse is a novel I've been wanting to check out for a long time, will definitely read it!

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Yes, those sound good. From memory the entire emotional arc of the film parallels What's Going On pretty darn well, but Id have to see it again to be more certain.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

As a note, Andrei Rublev might as well be on my 8.8/10+ list. If not, it's close enough that few would be able to discern the difference, so Id add it to your choices for sure.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

Mirror was fine for me as a starting point. I would as well recommend Virginia Woolf's novel To the Lighthouse, which has identical stream-of-consciousness imagery with Mirror and is as great as it. I don't know any better but Mirror could have been inspired by it. When you do watch it I recommend following this scene-by-scene guide (starts on p.37).

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

Here's one way to put it:

-For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, see Nostalghia.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Tim Buckley's Starsailor, see Mirror.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, see The Sacrifice.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Talk Talk's Laughing Stock, see Stalker.
    -For a film that is emotionally/thematically similar to Peter Gabriel's Passion, see Andrei Rublev.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Having watched Wings of Desire, which you compared to What's Going On on my page, I do find it a very good comparison. The flight in track 3 is stunning in the way that the fall/plunge in Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom and Julia Holter's Tragedy is, and the return to human form in the finale (the transition from preaching from above to resenting "the way they do my life") is similar to the angel's conversion in the movie, correct?

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

I think I'll go with the ones which are in AfterHours' 8.8+ category, they're the ones which look the most interesting to me.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

No, no, no! Forget Ivan for now: Tarkovsky is just beginning to tap into his genius there. I'd say Andrei Rublev or Stalker... the latter is more demanding, the former more conventional insofar as having a narrative, though Tarkovsky does not at all strictly abide by it. Those are value neutral descriptions, btw, as both are masterpieces. Alternately: Mirror is his shortest film (90 minutes!), perhaps the richest and most resourceful use of cinematic language ever, and absolutely perfect.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

In terms of accessibility, probably Ivan's Childhood, though its also the least representative of his later works. I could be wrong but I think Stalker is probably the most common one that people first develop a love for Tarkovsky's cinema with.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 4 days ago

I was surprised at my own reaction to Birdman. I fully expected to enjoy it, which I did for the first 30 minutes or so. By the 60 minute mark I surrendered any hope. By the end, I realized I had just spent 2 hours watching clumsy satire (which was neither funny nor insightful), and thinly drawn caricatures delivery poorly written monologues. Somehow the film managed to be less than the sum of it's parts.

As for The Last Picture Show, yeah, I really do love that film.

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

Which film would be the best starting point for Tarkovsky's filmography?

• Best rock albums of the 1990s   2 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks, it's still a pretty incomplete list. Mos Def is great, and BoBS is probably my favorite hip-hop album. Really progressive stuff. Entroducing I like, Building Steam with a Grain of Salt is fantastic. Haven't listened to it in a while so maybe I'll give it another go. I see what you mean about Under Glass. Lots of interesting dynamics that I don't really hear on Well Oiled. For some reason I had always put off listening to it.

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 5 days ago

I liked Birdman more than you but I also agree with the points you made, just not to the same degree of dislike. Also, I was a bit surprised it won Best Picture. When I saw it I didn't think of it as a typical Academy favorite (not that I even give a rats ass anymore which film wins it).

Also, didn't know you were such a big fan of Last Picture Show. Love that film!