• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 31 min ago

Cool, I hope you'll revisit them sometime :)

re: 5 per category...I forgot to count! Please forgive me -_-

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 1 hour ago

Nope :)

It's all subjective anyway... it would be ridiculous for me to expect all yours/others suggestions to meet my criteria all the time. I just couldn't tell if you were thinking seriously that I would re-rate Throwing Copper a 7.8+ if I were to revisit it. I suppose it's possible, but I felt like checking, that's all.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 1 hour ago

I don't think I've let you down with recommendations yet have I? :-P

Enjoy!

• Novels About Time Travel   2 weeks 2 hours ago

I am into time travel genres too. Can someone recommend me a certain novel? Otherwise, I suggest you to purchase soundcloud plays from us and try our reliable services!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 8 hours ago

There are a few musical works interspersed within the album, but as a whole it really doesn't fit into a "music" genre. It is closer to a surrealist painting. I've had to listen to it about three times to get an understanding about what was going on in it.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 9 hours ago

Btw, I do agree that Lightning Crashes is an excellent song and would fit nicely on, say, The River.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 9 hours ago

Thanks, I'll add 5 of those! I've already heard Endless Summer (probably 7/10) and I think I've heard (???) Lemon of Pink (Unrated), so I added the rest (note: only 5 per category at one time "rule")

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 9 hours ago

Thanks, are these real (7.8+) recommendations or just ones I should casually check out sometime. Im very familiar with Throwing Copper -- it was my "greatest album ever!" when I was a young 'un! Might rate it 7 now.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 9 hours ago

Gotcha re: Pamyu Pamyu ... For 2000's/2010's, 7.3+ is actually fine (see author comments as needed).

Re: James Ferraro ... Now, that one I'll have to check out!

The fact that these don't appear to be reviewed by Scaruffi yet makes them even more intriguing! Thanks!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 10 hours ago

Check Pamyu Pamyu Revolution out casually.

One album I rate particularly highly (perhaps an 8.5 after tonight) is James Ferraro's Far Side Virtual. It's a beautiful futuristic sounding album. Kind of like the ambient works of Eno and Hassell but with more sampling and almost a meta nod to contemporary pop culture. Fascinating album.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul/Hip Hop] (in-progress)   2 weeks 12 hours ago

I agree. My favorite track is probably the epileptic Lipstick Vogue.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul/Hip Hop] (in-progress)   2 weeks 13 hours ago

This Year's Model is really fun. "Pump It Up" is probably one of my favorite pop tracks from the 70s.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 13 hours ago

Thanks, I'll check it out, though will probably remove it from this list. Perhaps it fits into one of the categories above but it doesn't seem like it???

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 15 hours ago

Relisten to Throwing Copper! See if it grows in rating for you, perhaps not likely. But Lightning Crashes is still a tune!

Also try Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's Pamyu Pamyu Revolution. Take a chance! ;-)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 20 hours ago

Since you're checking out 2000s albums these days:

Confield - Autechre (2001)
    Endless Summer - Fennesz (2001)
    Young Liars - TV On the Radio (2003) [EP]
    The Lemon of Pink - The Books (2003)
    Bromst - Dan Deacon (2009)
    Encarnado - Juçara Marçal (2014)
    Dude Incredible - Shellac (2014)

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   2 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks! I'm quite intrigued. It's showing in my favorite indie theater here at the end of the month. I think I might give it a shot.

• Film Log   2 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks! I'll look into them.

• Film Log   2 weeks 1 day ago

Maborosi and After Life are subtle, beautiful, extraordinarily moving.

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah, incredible album :) I'd only listened to it once before last night's revisit and upgrade, and already had it as one of the better albums on my 00's/10's list. As soon as I more completely grasped it on the second listen, it really took off.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 1 day ago

Yes, there are innumerable "mirror" shots and "mirror" images -- absolutely! They build up a stream-of-conscious symbology of point-of-views/images/meanings throughout the film. I would check out Nostalghia -- perhaps even deeper/more profound -- though a bit more patient and reserved about it, and less structurally complex. Short of Citizen Kane, it's probably the most profound film of all time (though Mirror falls under strong consideration as well).

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 2 days ago

It's nice to see the upgrade for you too. At first not as much seems to be in the album, but then one realizes there is more and it's just minimal (and one was perhaps interpreting it too directly), requiring you to fill it in with imagination instead, while delivering pulsating, echoing, long-lasting moments of drama. The same thing happened for Rock Bottom for me (though it's not minimal): it took some time for my imagination to take hold of the songs, in particular the first three songs, to see what was really happening, and then it just became something like a hostage situation with my ears

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 2 days ago

I discovered it a few weeks ago; it was lower on my list, now higher. Great minimalism. There is a maelstrom in which the ancient *mythological* world is next to the contemporary world. The horns mimic the close sounds of the automobile, self-propelling and passing like history itself, resonating for some time, leaving mental tragedy in their wake. The crisp sounds radiate both ancient mythological tragedy and imminent tragedy: technology.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks - I already re-examined the movie with the help of an excellent scene-by-scene guide (starts on page 37 of this document if you're interested) and I've managed to make great sense of it. On one hand there actually is some narrative structure and a rough timeline (the scenes are like pieces in a puzzle like in Memento and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, just to a lesser extent); on the other hand there is no structure, just totems of momentary recognition and remembrance. But it seems there is a definite structure, certainly a timeline, that is important to recognize. A subtle observation, the camera likes to break the "180-degree rule," showing the backs and the fronts immediately, presenting a 360 view of reality, a back-and-forth view from nature and reconstructed memory, shorn of the limitations of our one-sided vision (which grants looking over one's shoulder such profound effect). In addition, there are scenes where a mirror shot looks like a real shot, as if the subjective experience being reversed on itself ("seeing being seen"; seeing the other 180 degrees) is profound and disruptive in the moment, but disappearing like self-consciousness. I know that doesn't make much sense. What I noticed, Maria (and Natalia) looks over her shoulder at the camera in a beginning scene, and looks over her shoulder away from the camera in a final scene. There is a metaphorically panoramic effect helplessly, continuously traversing the physical reality, subjective reality, and history all at once, and the effect - the camera - is part of the reality itself: the eye contact makes it so that the viewer becomes part of the reality.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

It's very autobiographical, so consider the camera, its movement an alternating point-of-view between Tarkovsky and Tarkovsky's father in reminiscences over his life/the history of Russia -- it's a stream-of-conscious collision/unification of the two. It is perhaps Tarkovsky's ode to his father and an ode to Russia as the man and country that shaped him. The movement -- slow or fast -- of the camera and, many times, the "gaze" or "contemplation" and style of photography of it show Tarkovsky's emotions towards these events and his father as its point of view. He is remembering and envisioning these things in his moments/hours before death, so they are constantly fleeting away from him, or he is longingly remembering them, grasping at them, grasping at life, before death.

The film is strewn with symbology and inside references to other art works. As an example, the main female character in certain shots poses and looks like a Da Vinci painting, and so forth. An example can be seen on the Mirror wikipedia page where it shows the Russian cover poster/DVD for the film. Compare her image to the Da Vinci painted female figure on the upper left. Tarkovsky is anointing the characters, their/his life into frescoes/works of art as part of his ode to them.

• Favorite albums   2 weeks 2 days ago

Nice to see your discovery of Julia Holter's Tragedy, one of the best albums of the decade! I'll be revisiting that one soon!