• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

Revisiting Ready to Die and Aquemini today was pretty awesome though :-) I can understand your enthusiasm. Considering both for upgrades into 7.3+ range (Ive never rated Ready to Die and Aquemini has long been 7/10)

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 4 days ago

No worries. For future reference, I don't make concessions for music based on genre. I hold pop music to the same standards as classical symphonies -- a 9/10 is a 9/10 is a 9/10 -- at least, qualitatively, not in terms of their forms/structure (obviously). I have the same overall criteria regardless. I am more than willing to give several examples for pop music or catchy, simple structured music if you end up wanting me too (I was in progress on covering most major genres). But either way, it's not a big deal, and not an important topic to me.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 4 days ago

Dude, seriously. I was talking about pop songs. Only ITAOTS is a pop album from the ones you mentioned, and it may be the best pop album ever so it's not really fair to bring it up. However, I'm not really interested in further discussion on this topic. Agree to disagree.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

Though I think some/all of those artists' best songs should end up on here or the "honorable mention" section, I doubt I'd agree they're better than everything here, but respect your opinion and would be more than happy to end up agreeing with you. I'll be revisiting most, if not all of them.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

I do agree with what you said about Kim, Stan and Blacker the Berry. Certainly among the best!

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   2 weeks 4 days ago

OutKast, De La Soul, Nas, Rakim, The Notorious B.I.G., KRS-One, Jay-Z, Madvillain and many others have better songs than anything on this list except for Iron Galaxy and maybe that long Dalek album. I like all these songs a lot though. Kim and Stan are in the top 5 Eminem songs for sure. The Blacker the Berry is one of the best mainstream songs of recent years.

• Year-by-year music rankings, for the sake of nothing more than organization on my own behalf   2 weeks 5 days ago

Here are my ten favorite albums in very rough order. Feel free to apply it to the tournament.
    1. Saintseneca. Last.
    2. Brian Eno and David Byrne. My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
    3. Mohammad. Segondé Saleco.
    4. The Many Faces of Oliver Hart or: How Eye One the Write Too Think.
    5. La Monte Young, Marian Zazeela, The Theatre of Eternal Music. Dream House 78’ 17”.
    6. A Sunny Day in Glasgow. Sea When Absent.
    7. Miles Davis. Bitches Brew.
    8. PUNK 45: Extermination Nights In The Sixth City: Cleveland, Ohio : Punk And the Decline Of The Mid West 1975-82.
    9. Public Enemy. Fear of a Black Planet.
    10. Vilayat Khan. Vistaar.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

Thank you, Ive heard quite a bit of Dre/Snoop but have no idea if that's one of them. Will check it out.

After revisiting Nation of Millions last night and being more impressed than ever, there are probably 10-12 tracks under consideration, including that one! I'm probably going to make a stricter cut off point than what I have. Not sure yet which of those will make it and which wont.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

A critical favorite: Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos - Public Enemy
    A personal favorite: Deep Cover - Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg (seriously)

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs   2 weeks 5 days ago

Btw, I've decided to do my own hip hop songs list too, so I can organize which are the best songs in the genre.

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs   2 weeks 5 days ago

I'm really not sure... I can sorta see it I guess?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

TiggaTrigga, I listened to Kendrick Lamar's 2016 EP "Untitled. Unmastered" and thought it was pretty darn good, maybe even 7/10+. It's basically a collection of material left over from To Pimp a Butterfly, that he formed into its own album. I haven't decided what I think of it yet but I thought you might like it, and it might end up on my lists at some point after some more listens (or could just as easily be 6 or 6.5/10). Have you heard it yet? If so, what did you think?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

Update: I verified that it's not 7.3+ by revisiting it. This isn't to put it down; it's a great song. I don't know if hip hop even has a 7.3+ track outside of a complete album track such as Dalek's Untitled. It's very hard to make a 7.3+ track in under 7 minutes, or even 10 minutes. Hell, it's very hard to make an entire album that collectively amounts to 7.3+. And hip hop is traditionally littered with short songs and also doesn't seem to have very many entire albums (relative to rock) that are 7.3/10+ (imo). Though also note that there are probably some extraordinary hip hop albums (and hopefully songs too) that I haven't heard yet.

• My Criteria For Art   2 weeks 5 days ago

I made a minor addition below the description of my "formula": Accumulation of the degree and consistency of expressed emotional content or evocative conceptual content and ingenuity within the time frame or space of the work of art.

--> With "time frame" I am referring to arts such as film and music that play out and are assimilated within certain running times. With "space" I am referring to arts such as painting or other visual arts that are viewed and assimilated within certain spatial parameters such as a canvas.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 5 days ago

I'm not really sure what you'd call it either. Maybe a 21st century version of jazz fusion?

As far as similar artists go... Portico Quartet plays jazz in a similar vein, everything I've heard by them so far is great. You might also appreciate BadBadNotGood, they make heavily hip-hop inspired jazz music.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 5 days ago

No I haven't! I just put Paul's Boutique on my list because Scaruffi rates it a 7/10! :-) Just kidding. I didn't realize that's the song TiggaTrigga was talking about, as I don't always keep all the titles of songs in my head.

Then yes, I'd very likely place it in my top 20 hip hop tracks. But I doubt it's 7.3+, so ignore my question above. It actually got me wondering if there has been a hip hop track, outside of "full album tracks" (such as "Untitled - Dalek (2010)") that is a 7.3+ on my scale. Would be great to find some.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 5 days ago

Some examples of many different types of songs about love/romance, that express such with depth:

-All of Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" ... The pained, reminiscing vocals are swept up in transcendent streams of consciousness of poetic nostalgia. Morrison seems caught inside a mystical dream, both beautiful and painful. The session players add several evocative touches, illuminating the beauty and tragedy and nostalgia of it all.

-"Sea Song" and "Alifib/Alife" from Rock Bottom ... One could say the whole album. Details on the review I wrote on my "Guide..." list

-"In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" ... Most of the songs are love songs ... In all cases the guitar and instruments counterpoint and allude to the ecstasy and sorrows being illuminated, often breaking off into strange visions or cataclysm...

Ill add some more examples in several other music categories when I get some more time...

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 6 days ago

It works fine for me because I know everything from Rubber Soul onward and there's no way I'll listen to their early albums in their entirety again (nothing against them, I just don't like the filler and specially the covers). Is there a better compilation for pre-1966 Beatles that you'd suggest?

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 6 days ago

I didn't know anything about The Bad Plus until this week. I had a lot of fun with Give. I'll get Made Possible and a couple of their other albums soon. I'm a stranger to most new jazz, but these guys, Nik Bärtsch's Ronin and Dawn of Midi do a kind of intricate post-minimalist rhythmically-advanced group improvisation that really floats my boat. I don't if this kind of music has found a specific tag or genre name yet (wherever I look, they're just tagged as jazz or avant-jazz) but I hope I can find more music in the same vein.

I agree, Monk really brings something new to vocal music. The fact that she dispenses with language and traditional rules of vocalization is interesting enough, but what's really amazing is that she always seems to know exactly what she's doing with her arsenal of unprecedented techniques. Songs From the Hill is a monument of monophonic music. I love how she switches from mode to mode on Lullaby without losing the song's natural flow. Wa-lie-oh, Prairie Ghost and most of the other pieces have such highly dynamic rhythmic structures that each could easily become an absolute mess in the wrong hands, but Monk's performance is so on point that it comes off as effortless. No wonder she didn't do this kind of thing before and after this album. This level of inspiration and dedication comes about once in a lifetime.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Yay... ... .. .

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

And that first song is actually one of the highlights of the album. Says a lot about the album overall...

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

What are you talking about? It's the 12-minute track at the end of Paul's Boutique, of course you've heard it.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

I dont think I've ever heard it, but thank you for the "inadvertent" recommendation :-) Ill check it out and let you know. Do you think Id probably rate it 7.3+?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Also, Ill add Blend to the songs/tracks recommendations as soon as I get the chance.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Alright. Thanks, as always.

And, do you think B-Boy Bouillabaisse is potentially one of the stand-alone best hip-hop songs ever? I'd say it's top 10-20 or so, along with Iron Galaxy.