• 10 Paintings and others   4 weeks 4 days ago

I'll stick with a top 10 of ones i've seen. Books and the internet are a good guide for paintings to seek out but not really for appreciating. It can be hard to work out which version of a painting is the correct one and the small sizes of the pictures make it difficult to judge. I can say which paintings i'm most looking forward to seeing:

La charmeuse de Serpents - Théodore Rousseau
    The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli
    The Hunt in the Forest - Paolo Uccello
    Hunters in the Snow/ The Triumph of Death - Pieter Bruegel

• 10 Paintings and others   4 weeks 5 days ago

You're very fortunate! Ever consider compiling a list of favorite paintings/visual art works while also including those that you've seen in picture books, on the internet, etc?

• --   4 weeks 5 days ago

I meant the comment as a deadpan joke :-) but it's cool, I hear ya :-)

• Songs With Women's Names in the Title   4 weeks 5 days ago

I think Wings did a Helenswheels

• --   4 weeks 5 days ago

Actually what I meant was that the list is not available but I now can see how it can be misleading :)

I've been getting exhausted with list recently. I want to turn into an unordered alphabetical one and create a new seperate top 40 or 50 songs list. And yeah Not Available is a strong Residents candidate for that. Six Things to a Cycle is an even stronger candidate.

• Songs With Women's Names in the Title   4 weeks 5 days ago

A few hits:-
    Donna- 10cc
    Dear Elaine-Roy Wood
    Gudbye to Jane-Slade
    Goodbye Sam,hello Samantha-Cliff Richard
    Gotta see Jane-R Dean Taylor
    Jeanie-The Sweet
    L LLucy-Mud
    Lorraine-Bad Manners
    Rosetta-Georgie Fame/Alan Price
    Suzanne beware of the devil-Dandy Livingstone
    Virginia Plain-Roxy Music
    album tracks:-
    Cousin Jane-The Troggs
    Hello Mabel-Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
    Beautiful Zelda- " " " "
    and a trick one:-
    Eve of destruction-Barry McGuire
    my wife thinks I'm sad registering just to post this,so I would welcome any feedback,good or bad.

• --   4 weeks 6 days ago

Having just listened to Not Available, I can see why you chose it, even if I don't completely agree with you that it's the only worthy selection.

• Media Log 2014   4 weeks 6 days ago

No problem, additional possibilities include: Von Sternberg's Blue Angel, Lang's The Big Heat, Hitchcock's Vertigo, Frankenheimer's Manchurian Candidate, Coppola's The Conversation, Spielberg's Duel, Jarmusch's Dead Man, Scorsese's Taxi Driver, Nolan's Memento -- each share aspects of it... Manchurian Candidate may be one of the very closest; while writing this Taxi Driver seems like it may make a compelling case... Many films (especially Noir, Expressionist) share correlations with it. Those, and the previous ones I mentioned, seem like the best bets. Europa also makes a very good comparison to Neu's debut.

• My Favorite Female Musicians of All-Time   5 weeks 6 hours ago

Great List! Linda Ronstadt, Dusty Springfield and Carly Simon ftw. Debbie Harry is missing here.

• My 100 Favourite Songs (One song of one Artist)   5 weeks 7 hours ago

Great list!

• Media Log 2014   5 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks a lot, I was going to ask you about that! :P

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   5 weeks 1 day ago

Hey I'm looking for a movie, everything is happening in the sky, there's no ground and there are monsters in the clouds but we learn that they are in fact robots and machine controled by some kind of dude. There is also a flying girl(or boy?...) that fly with the wind (or something like that) and a boy (or a girl??) flying in some kind of plane, and they will discover the truth when ate by a giant-golden-flying-worm-machine-y-thing... Is that clear to you? Its not that old and I cant remember if it was more like an anime or a 3d animation.... Some kind of mix between steamboy and castle in the sky.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   5 weeks 2 days ago

I don't waste it :) Also I tend to work in intensive spurts (instead of small, irregular blocks of time) during periods where I am particularly fascinated by whichever form of art I am mainly covering (such as right now with paintings/visual art). If I'm not in that "zone" I'll drop it quickly and get back to it some other time, and move onto whichever one really gets me at the time. I work a lot better when I have that extra level of conviction. Also, each area (music/film/visual art) has been something I've "built" (so to speak). As I've built up my comprehension and aptitude for each in relation to my criteria, and then on top of that, relating them to each other, it results in not just a greater appreciation for each and art as a whole, but also faster, more efficient assimilation of each. It's like a "snowball effect" of assimilation/experience/certainty. So each time I cycle back to each form of art, I am faster than the last and can get a lot done in shorter periods of time than before.

For instance, I just re-evaluated about 200 paintings over about a 10 hour time frame (in approximately four 2 1/2 hour spurts over two days). My initial evaluations of these, all tolled, was probably 10 times longer than that. But because I have the foundation of my previous knowledge/experience with each, it went very fast, and -- just like that -- I re-rated much of my paintings list (and while doing so I further assimilated many of the works and gained a greater understanding of them than I had done before, thus setting me up to be even more efficient if/when I re-evaluate them again).

It probably all starts with really knowing my criteria and not trying to assess works by some "objective" criteria or a confused or random one. I know what I am looking for and almost never spend much time on works of art that don't rate well in my criteria, which probably saves me an untold amount of time.

• Media Log 2014   5 weeks 2 days ago

If you want to see what may be the closest film equivalent to Morphine's Good, I recommend Von Trier's Europa (criminally under-seen). Other candidates (all great in their own right) could be Wilder's Double Indemnity, Boorman's Point Blank, maybe even Polanski's Chinatown and Lynch's Lost Highway (though you've seen that).

• Which is the best IDM artist?   5 weeks 2 days ago

OK, I found a link to IDM as a genre under Flying Lotus. I read the description. I didn't understand it, but, then, I'm 60 and I don't listen much to music. I'm into audiobooks for my audio entertainment! But thanks for the pointers! And good luck with your poll!

• Which is the best IDM artist?   5 weeks 2 days ago

It didn't really help: IDM may refer to:

Science and technology
    Identity management, the management of the identity life cycle of an entity
    IDM Computer Solutions
    Integrated data management
    Integrated device manufacturer, a type of semiconductor company which designs, manufactures, and sells integrated circuit products
    Integrated Direct Metering, a real-time TTL metering method for ambient and flash light employed by the Pentax LX
    Integrated document management
    Intelligent design movement
    Intelligent device management, a type of enterprise software applications
    Internet Download Manager, a closed source software download manager
    Intelligent driver model, a microscopic traffic flow model
    Novell Identity Manager
    Other
    Intelligent dance music, a sub-genre of electronic music
    Impact Direct Ministries, a non-profit organization
    Infant of a diabetic mother

However, I think maybe I'll look up a couple of the artists and maybe that will help.

• Which is the best IDM artist?   5 weeks 2 days ago

LOL... Do you Wikipedia, bro? ;-)

• Which is the best IDM artist?   5 weeks 2 days ago

You should have had a choice saying "What is IDM?" That's what my vote would be!

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   5 weeks 5 days ago

Yes, absolutely, the more art one experiences/absorbs the more art one is then able to ... experience/absorb :) Which is another reason why I started it; so people can see/experience the correlations to help them think with/consider the works and their merits, etc...

I've thought about it before and might do a "reverse" list, or combine the two onto the same list.

Actually, I think it can be useful in providing some insight into the works themselves as well :)

That's certainly an interesting point re: Metropolis and Aeroplane.

By the way, I was wondering: are you going to do a Best Films compared to Best Albums version? Meaning, you find a group of rock/jazz albums (maybe even classical music?) corresponding to a specific film rather than the other way around. That would be slightly more convenient because a group of albums is easier and less time-consuming to get through than a group of films.

Yea it's kind of a fun little hobby I just sort of came upon by accident some years ago when I started noticing that some of the best films aligned pretty well to the best albums. It just gives me an additional point-of-interest while I build my lists :)

Another note re: Metropolis and Aeroplane that I forgot to mention in my haste ... both are "visually" similar in that they're depicting (visually or musically) "visionary retro-futures" where the scenes are fusions from several sources of inspiration between past/future, often simultaneously.

That's exactly what I was thinking of! It's really fun picking out all these things, no?

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   5 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks, I don't believe I've heard that one yet :-)

Yes, I need to watch Metropolis again, but -- off the top of my head -- I am pretty sure the film's themes and emotions align with the time frames (by percent of running time) of Aeroplane pretty closely all the way through. And there is pretty much no denying -- as you alluded to -- that the intensity of each is kept at a similar pitch... The beginning of the film as it is expressing his youth and his exploits in the gardens and grounds and when he meets Maria aligns well to track #1, then the explosive incident in the underground city and ensuing fall-out and his furious pleas to his father, perhaps aligning to track #2 ... Maria getting all evangelical and describing the mythological and biblical events/stories (and becoming two-faced/doubled) and the protagonist's friend dying, aligning to Two Headed Boy + the funereal instrumental track, the Dr chasing her and that whole suspenseful series of scenes aligning to the Holland track ... The protagonist sick in bed while Maria engaging in sexual exploits while all hell starts to break loose aligning to Oh Comely and, as you said, the Furioso ... on top of that, the film can be seen as an allegory to the Nazi party...

That was off the top of my head, and I haven't watched the film in a while to have the opportunity to really break it down, but I think you get the idea... Regardless, both have a similar degree of emotional significance and intensity and conviction... As a fun aside, for visual art, Aeroplane also aligns well with Bosch's Garden of Delights painting...

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   5 weeks 6 days ago

In the Aeroplane Over The Sea = Metropolis is an interesting comparison that I'd never have thought up myself but seems appropriate somehow. I can see how Furioso in particular would be = Ghost + Untitled + Two Headed Boy Pt 2.