• #2 Singles In The UK   5 weeks 5 days ago

Well, it did get to number one, on its initial release, but then reached #2 on a re-release (as did a number of other songs, notably the Elvis re-issues in the 2000s).

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   5 weeks 6 days ago

If you want to join the 2016 Listology Scoreboard, kaplan has the list up. Just click on the link and sign up there.

Listology Scoreboard 2016 edition

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   5 weeks 6 days ago

Great to see you back, kaplan. I'm in again

Good luck with the spreadsheet.

• Critics Ranked and Reviewed   5 weeks 6 days ago

Just found this brilliant and epic Meltzer piece about his career in the "rockwriting" biz. I urge all of you to read it. He also destroys Christgau and Greil Marcus with such inspired bile you can't help but dismiss them as boring nerdy hacks afterwards. This is powerful, relentless, angry rock writing at its best. The raging last words of a forgotten (and resentful) pioneer. If Meltzer deserves a place in a list like this is probably the zero, preceding and pushing everybody else out of HIS list.
    Got to buy his book.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   5 weeks 6 days ago

Spreadsheet and instructions sent.

• Books Read in 2015   5 weeks 6 days ago

Favorite books of the year: Catch-22 and Yes Please.
    Favorite comic: Saga

• Favorite 2015 Albums   5 weeks 6 days ago

I'm glad you like it. That Battle is Over and Sabbath have harmonic progressions and melodies that totally wowed me the first time I heard them and have become etched into my brain ever since. And then there's Holy Land and the chilling opening monologue and everything in between. She pulled off a complex concept album that's completely unlike anything that came before, and even her most reckless experiments are so dense and heartfelt that she roams previously unexplored emotional territories with such artistic creativity that the album demands to be heard many, many times. I'm glad that artists like her exist.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   5 weeks 6 days ago

Haha, I never noticed that myself. Cheers.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   5 weeks 6 days ago

Welcome back to the driver's seat kaplan.

I'm in again: http://listology.com/te18/list/film-log-2016

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   6 weeks 44 min ago

I'll do that.
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    And happy new year!

• 2015 TV Log   6 weeks 47 min ago

It's always nice to make someone else happy :-)

• 2015 TV Log   6 weeks 47 min ago

Simon Ammann, Switzerland
    Emmanuel Chedal, France
    Denis Kornilov, Russia
    Dimitry Vassiliev, Russia

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 weeks 23 hours ago

Hell of a Life
    - the raw sound of the guitar at the beginning: probably just adding to the dangerous atmosphere
    - the vocal melody identical to Iron Man: probably equal parts West showing off and maybe an allusion to the male sexual dominance of being an "Iron Man"
    - the rapid harpsichord(?) that plays in the chorus: makes the atmosphere a bit more colorful epic and slightly more anxious/dangerous
    - the breathing near the end (I'm pretty sure I know what its purpose is; but I'd still love to know your thoughts): he sounds distraught/disturbed/exhausted
    - the instrumental segue into the club-like percussion near the end: sounds like an increase in suspense like time is running out
    Blame Game
    - the piano sample that plays throughout (i.e. why do you think he used the sample at all?): seems like it evokes a sequence that is constantly cycling through his head that he can't get his mind off of
    - the vocal effects in part of the 1st half of the song: his personality is bouncing between his violent half (the deeper, angrier voice) and the half of him that is calmer and distraught
    Lost in the World
    - the end, when the epic vocals simmer down and is replaced with a chant: its a mini-epic celebratory, spiritual revelation, capping the album. He might be asking for forgiveness or alluding to that. It might be sarcastic.
    Who Will Survive in America
    - the whole thing (i.e. why it was made the way is was?): it's West's comment on the state of society, probably referring to this as an influence/justification of his life/actions/transgressions and the person he has become

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 weeks 1 day ago

Regarding the rest of MBDTF, I'll respond as soon as I can -- probably tomorrow. You're welcome to try more as a regular thing if you want. How fast I get back to you will vary but I'm very familiar with the albums on my lists so it shouldn't take too long.

Happy New Year to you too!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah, definitely, I can see where you're coming from with those choices. It would have been kinda funny (no offense) if you listed Trout Mask Replica or Not Available by The Residents, though.

Alright, about the rest of MBDTF:
    Hell of a Life - the raw sound of the guitar at the beginning
    - the vocal melody identical to Iron Man
    - the rapid harpsichord(?) that plays in the chorus
    - the instrumental segue into the club-like percussion near the end
    Blame Game - the piano sample that plays throughout (i.e. why do you think he used the sample at all?)
    - the vocal effects in part of the 1st half of the song
    Lost in the World - the end, when the epic vocals simmer down and is replaced with a chant
    Who Will Survive in America - the whole thing (i.e. why it was made the way is was?)

If you find responding to questions like these, maybe this could become more of a regular thing (not an entire album, but a part of a song, here and there).

Last, but not least: Happy New Year!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   6 weeks 1 day ago

OK, just go to my account and click on "Contact" on the selection bar right next to "Favorites". That goes to my personal email. Send me your personal email there. I promise I won't ever send you "here's a cute picture of a kitty" nonsense. I'll work on the instructions. They should be pretty useful, I did that for a living not so long ago.

Are you going to create the new list and then instruct folks to go there to join the new list? I'd prefer that since I'll otherwise get a notification of each person who posts their new list.

Oh, I use Excel 2010, will that work? Are you going to port it to a different spreadsheet program? I can make the instructions Excel 2010 specific or Spreadsheet General. Which would work best for you? ("Oh dear lord," kaplan says, "she really has done this for a living. Who else would even think about that difference.") hee hee hee

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   6 weeks 1 day ago

That's true. Last year when we just took over to cover kaplan's absence, I finally took over and did the last ones because I'd developed the spreadsheet that made it easier to update consistently. and why I volunteered to do it this year.

An argument could be made (Oh great, I sound like a lawyer) that you could share the spreadsheet on Google share or Dropbox or some other such utility, but there would still be the complexity of arranging the sharing. Look how long we all waited until someone did that first interim update last year. And how rarely we actually did it. The group doesn't mind there not being an update Every week.

• #2 Singles In The UK   6 weeks 1 day ago

Hi, me again. I've been doing a No.2s playlist on my iPod over Christmas and spotted a little oversight. Albatross (re-issue) by Fleetwood Mac is listed at no.239 in 1973. However, it got all the way to No.1 in 1968. So, it looks like we're back to 1,000 in total and a fair bit of renumbering is needed. Sorry!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   6 weeks 1 day ago

I think it's easier if one person does it.
    Also, if we share the duties, we both need to create a list, since you can't update a list I created, or vice versa.
    I would propose that I'll do it. If ever it doesn't work out for me, which I don't hope of course, you can always clone the list and continue. What do you think?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   6 weeks 1 day ago

That spreadsheet would be handy, indeed.

• My Playlist   6 weeks 2 days ago

Hahahaha Why

• Favorite ambient albums   6 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks. w/r/t Klaus Schulze, I like the two albums you mentioned but I prefer X and Timewind. I forgot about Stateless.

• Favorite ambient albums   6 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks! I've kept a pretty loose definition of 'ambient' in mind for this list. Namely the type of music I can throw on in the background and forget about. I've also decided to follow the arbitrary one-album-per-artist convention. Otherwise half the list would probably be Steve Roach and Brian Eno.

Still not sure what I think about Novus Magnificat, and I'm not sure I'd include Future Days, though there are certainly elements of ambient in that one. And yeah, I forgot about Labradford.

• Favorite ambient albums   6 weeks 2 days ago

Great list. Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht (though its not all ambient) and Cyborg. Also Harold Budd's Pavilion of Dreams and a lesser known work, Dirty Beaches Stateless, come immediately to mind of those not mentioned or listed so far.