• 1001 Books to read Before You Die (updated list)   9 weeks 3 days ago

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson with a P.

• 1001 Books to read Before You Die (updated list)   9 weeks 3 days ago

Frankenstein is by Mary Shelley with an E.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   9 weeks 5 days ago

I finally listened to a full album after a long hiatus: A Love Supreme. I wrote down some thoughts I had after listening to it; I'm not asking for "corrections" on them, but some feedback and how you feel about the album.

Part 1 - the cymbals at the start sounded supernatural/mysterious, like an entrance/gateway to a heavenly dimension or metaphysical state
    - the repetition of the melody: to affirm an instrumental "mantra"
    -using different, interchangeable notes to repeat it was to express that people of all backgrounds were (taking turns) chanting
    Part 3 - the reprise of a melody from Part 1
    - I thought to myself, "Why in this song is each instrument given its own lengthy improv(?) solo?"
    Part 4 - each note from the sax and drum were more spaced out -- the atmosphere gave off a feeling of revelation: either an epiphany or a confirmation of an initial belief (faith in God?)

And, to narrow down your thoughts on Mezzanine, in particular, how do you feel about Risingson? It's probably my favorite track as of now.

• Greatest Post-Punk Songs   9 weeks 5 days ago

Love those ones.

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 weeks 13 hours ago

I'll listen to those and his other albums too. He's amazing. This is priceless:

Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman
    You only call her a bitch because she won't let you get that pussy
    Maybe she didn't feel y'all shared any similar interests
    Or maybe you're just an asshole who couldn't sweet talk the princess

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 weeks 21 hours ago

Yeah tbh I'm not really feeling it. It's alright, and maybe it will grow on me, but right now I'm feeling pretty unimpressed with the whole thing.

Labor Days is great, but be sure to check out Float and Bazooka Tooth as well. None Shall Pass is probably still my favorite Aesop Rock song tho. He also appeared in a track on Busdriver's fantastic album Perfect Hair, which shares a lot of the same style with Aesop's hip-hop if you want something similar.

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 weeks 1 day ago

That Future song is pretty smooth.

TLOP is growing on me big time. I think the shorter Madison Square Garden version was a more compact and meaningful statement. On the other hand, the final version has more good songs. Because of Chance's awesome verse on Ultralight Beam, I listened to his Acid Rap mixtape. It's awesome.

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 weeks 2 days ago

The new Kanye is beautiful imo. I'm still taking it all in, but am loving it so far. "30 Hours" is my favourite.

You guys Future fans? I like his recent stuff a lot. Nothing particularly ambitious or insightful, but enjoyable nonetheless.

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 weeks 2 days ago

I can see Dreamtime Return being in the top 5 of a legit list. When I heard it the first, I was mainly a rocker and didn't care much for synthesizers. This time around though... it's magnificent.

I'll get into both Cut Chemist and Jurassic 5. I haven't heard either. The new Kanye album had an insane rollout that I followed since a month ago and it kinda ruined the album for me (and I guess the majority of people who followed) on first listen. After listening again, I think it's pretty good. I'm still unsure about the whole album but there are songs on it that you wouldn't want to miss. Compared to his previous albums, it's the the most schizophrenic thing he's done, batshit crazy on song and quite and introspective on the next. It also has the most amount of silence in any Kanye album. I haven't sensed any main theme in it so far. There are flashes of genius in places but to me it doesn't sound as inspired and hard-hitting as Yeezus. It's more like a really awkward MBDTF or way too experimental Graduation. He's seeking redemption and it doesn't flow as naturally as last time around when he wanted to wreak havoc with Yeezus using basically the same aesthetics. If you don't feel like listening to the whole thing, check out Ultralight Beams, Famous and FML.

He just announced that he's going to release new songs. The album itself is only available on Tidal and he might change the album as well.

• Music Ratings & Notes   10 weeks 3 days ago

Personally, Dreamtime Return is in my top 5, so it's good to see other people coming around to it.

How would you say the new Kanye album compares to his previous work? I haven't heard it yet but it seems like everyone else has.

If you haven't heard it yet I would suggest Cut Chemist: The Audience's Listening--great instrumental hip-hop by the producer behind Jurassic 5. It's been one of my favorites for a few years now but I feel like most people don't know about it. If you can only check out one track off the album make it 'Spoon'.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   10 weeks 3 days ago

New additions:

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
    Cannibal Corpse - The Cold Vein
    Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah (This one has never failed to amaze me and my appreciation for it only keeps growing. One of his best for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone called it the best Mingus album)
    De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate (Right now I think this one is even better than 3 Feet and De La Soul is Dead. Stakes Is High is pretty great as well. Like Public Enemy, De La Soul are one of the greatest bands ever in all genres)
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (Rakim is as great as a rapper can be. Their next two albums are great too, but this one has a charisma that you can't find anywhere else. Even the instrumental tracks on this one are good. If you've already heard this one, check out the first 3 tracks on their next album Follow the Leader. Legendary stuff.)
    Face Candy - Waste Age Teen Land (If your general impression of hip hop is dumb repetitive sampled beats plus random talking, this album will blow your mind. There's NONE of that here, and it's all improvised! Special thanks to kcronos and his list where this album is currently a 10/10.)
    J Dilla - Donuts
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (Very few post rock albums accomplish the majestic beauty they aim for. This one actually does.)
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death (The only problem is that the fatalism is deeply psychotic. Other than that, it's perfect. It's like he found the right balance between the poppy singles and the street songs on Ready to Die for 2 discs in a row)
    Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return
    William Onyeabor - Atomic Bomb

• Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2012 Updated List) - Ones I Own   10 weeks 3 days ago

Wow, I can't believe how much progress I've made since I first made this list!

• 2016 Film Tracker   10 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks for the rankings! I was wondering if Hail Caesar! was going to be good or if it was hype. Now I won't be so nervous about it. It does look fun.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   10 weeks 5 days ago

Finally we are back! And the pink warning messages are gone!

• Complete filmography of Oscar nominated directors   10 weeks 5 days ago

Complete filmography seen:
    BENNETT MILLER
    BENH ZEITLIN

• Favorite books   10 weeks 6 days ago

I have, and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it. This might have something to do with the fact that I read most of it over the course of a week, mostly on long plain rides and while waiting in airports. It definitely had its moments, and I've thought about revisiting it because a lot of people seem to think that it's one of his best.

• Favorite books   11 weeks 24 min ago

Have you read Stephen King's It? It's pretty good, might earn a spot in your Guilty Pleasures.

• Film Log   11 weeks 2 hours ago

If you're interested, I made several updates to my Nostalghia review/analysis on my "Guide to Greatest Films" page. I am itching for someone to discuss the film with, as very few share my sentiments on it, and I don't know if there's a better user on this site to do that with than you. If you want to of course :-) Feel free to drop by. Do you have any opinions or insights into the film that you feel like I missed or didn't give the proper due?

• All PS4 games, ranked from best to worst   11 weeks 5 hours ago

I don't play them all. I've based the list on reviews and what players say. I've played a handful of them, though.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   11 weeks 17 hours ago

Re: Robocop ... Among the best Sci-Fi films of the 80's, far superior to its sequels ... An excellent, biting satire of big corporate businessmen, TV/Media, cops .. ultra-violent, excellent special effects ... On top of all its themes, Robocop is also a futuristic metaphor for Jesus Christ: his absurdly bloody death amid Jesus Christ pose (even without arms!), his "resurrection", in the end he even "walks on water" http://static.stuff.co.nz/1341953808/577/7258577.jpg ... The film is both hysterical, a bit sad (Robocop's memories of his family are realistically crafted and haunting), and startlingly violent ...

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   11 weeks 17 hours ago

Re: Mezzanine ...been a long time since Ive listened to it. If I revisit it, Ill let you know

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   11 weeks 19 hours ago

Re: Taxi Driver ... One of the most cryptic films ... Its editing/shot sequenced so that its in a continual state of obsessive paranoia (the darting zoom-ins, the sudden implementation of slo-mo, the many shots focusing on skewed angles, the minute details of the streets, of the different parts of the cab, of the people he obsesses over, the side shots of hookers walking the streets, the skewed perceptions of New York, etc) and (especially after the ending) one is forced to consider that Bickle is viewing it all in a post-death paranoid fantasy/delusion, from out of his body. Rarely, perhaps never, has New York been captured with such hellish hyper-realism. DeNiro's performance is among the best ever. The climactic finale rivals the most extraordinary poetic nihilistic shootouts of Peckinpah. Much of the film is erected to myth, a behemoth of degradation.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   11 weeks 21 hours ago

"I don't know if I'd say it's exactly impressive": I should've re-worded that, as I was only referring to MIA's 'Steppin' Up' in that statement.

And, thank you for the clarification on Guernica.

Various art I'd like your perspective on (just summarize your views towards them): Robocop, Taxi Driver and Massive Attack's 'Mezzanine'.

• Dismissing Piero Scaruffi views on the Beatles   11 weeks 1 day ago

The problem with Scaruffi essay on The Beatles it’s filled with historical inaccuracies and lack of any knowledge in terms of musical theory. To be honest I don’t know where to start it’s that bad. There are so many books that discusses The Beatles innovations in the rock music world. For example ” The Foundations of Rock: From “Blue Suede Shoes” to “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” by Walter Everett or “Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles” by Dominic Pedler

You ask rock musicians who is the greatest or most influential rock act they will most likely say The Beatles first. It’s just factual there is no other way to say it despite what Scaruffi wants you to believe.

For example The Beatles were one of first rock acts who were seriously discussed by classical musicians or critics. It is true not everyone was enthralled with The Beatles however, in 1963, classical critic William Mann declared John Lennon and Paul McCartney were “the outstanding English composers of 1963.”

Five years later, Deryck Cooke, the musicologist who made a performing version of Mahler’s unfinished Tenth Symphony, hailed the Beatles as “genuine creators of a ‘new music’,” while denigrating classical avant-garde in the same breath.

Leonard Bernstein declared that the Beatles’s best songs were “more adventurous than anything else written in serious music today.”

Another example:

Ned Rorem

“Why are the Beatles superior? It is easy to say that most of their competition (like most everything everywhere) is junk. More important, their superiority is consistent: each of the songs from their last three albums is memorable. The best of these memorable tunes—and the best is a large percentage (Here, There and Everywhere, Good Day Sunshine, Michelle, Norwegian Wood)—compare with those by composers from great eras of song: Monteverdi, Schumann, Poulenc.’’

I also don’t understand Scaruffi critique regarding their so-called lack of technical ability as compared to Cream. Let’s be honest The Velvet Underground, The Beach Boys who used The Wrecking Crew, The Rolling Stones were actually not great technically either or even better than The Beatles.

However, The Beatles were progressive musically to have influence the majority of early progressive rock acts. Songs like “’Tomorrow Never Knows’’, “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “ I Am The Walrus” for example were clearly distinct from Pet Sounds pop/Phil Spector Wall of Sound type of music.

Brian Wilson was obsessed with The Beatles. After listening to ”Strawberry Fields Forever” it was over for Smile. Sorry for the some of The Beach Boys obsessed fans on this forum but it’s reality.

The psychedelic orchestrated ”Strawberry Fields Forever” not present on Pet Sounds just obliterated anything he did previously in terms of innovative soundscapes..
    One of the more interesting approaches in style in music and instrumentation well to me was ”Eleanor Rigby/”She’s Leaving Home”

The dark lyrical themes, chamber style orchestration, lack of rock instruments with just vocal backings is almost entirely different genre of music in my opinion.

Lastly could we stop this it’s utterly ridiculous for Scaruffi to say The Beatles did not write about drugs or anything that may have been politically serious? While The Rolling Stones or The Who were writing teen agnst songs The Beatles were signaling out polticians, drug dealers, hippie type songs, acid trips, religious topics and referencing The Tibetan Book of Dead in 1965-1966. Go ask Brian Wilson or even John Cale about “Norwegian Wood” or “She Said She Said’’.

• All PS4 games, ranked from best to worst   11 weeks 1 day ago

How do you play all these?