• Favorite movies   2 weeks 4 days ago

Removed The Thin Red Line because Malick puts his theme of the male ego into a war setting and that dilutes it. He turns the soldiers into children (a good thing), but because of that, they are forced to confront the reality of death and suffer heartbreak as if for the first time. In other words he is stumbling upon the very cliches of the war film. The most profound scenes are about heartbreak and death (becoming a soldier and picturing a woman to be there in the end). They are challenged by heartbreak as war and war as heartbreak. It is also a metaphor about overcoming heartbreak and seeing the meaning of the soldier outside of attracting women. There is some basic religious commentary ("Love - where does it come from?") all of which is peripheral in a story of only two dangers: war violence and heartbreak. If each of them is a cliche, then both of them combined is still probably a cliche. The film tries to squeeze as much emotion out of these themes, largely through idyllic and nostalgic images. You experience things that are indeed emotional, but through the visual language no matter how lyrical you see only cliches. Badlands is more deeply invested in the tragedy of the male ego (and fake identity in general) and its metaphors, not weakening it with messages about war and meditations on youthful love.

Days of Heaven is the most metaphysical of his films I've seen, exploring the same setting of the mythical, fragmentary world as his other ones. It is like Angelopoulos but not like Tarkovsky. For example, when the farmer lay dying on the ground, he is looking up for the last time and the shot changes to a bunch of horses in a haze of smoke (implying he is seeing an otherworldly image - there was only one horse before and no smoke) but then the camera starts moving upward and ominous music plays, implying a mere transition shot. The film is often more focused on rootlessness and the objective qualities of worlds than on the subjective trenches of nostalgia. It is like he is narrating the tale of all humanity as understood by one of Wings of Desire's angels, i.e., a being that sees both the objective and the subjective. The characters are reduced to animals, with everything human being a burden - perhaps they are exalted rather than reduced. The beauty seems to lie here; they play mythical characters of the violent frontier but are subjected to myths of the same setting of a divine and graceful nature watching over them. The prairie is the setting of corruption and greed, but the endless rootlessness and lack of social or political location or ideology concomitantly brings out our spiritual side.

• Top 20 Items that 20-somethings should learn to master in the kitchen   2 weeks 4 days ago

I've been working through this list and having a lot of fun trying out new recipes. A few on here I probably never would have thought to make are really good and simple (marinara sauce, baked macaroni and cheese, enchiladas). Any other dishes you would suggest learning after I have these down?

• BEST 1000 DANCE TRACKS [1984-2009]   2 weeks 4 days ago

Oh boy!... I'm really sorry Rheji... and a little embarrassed... If its worth anything I really loved I'll Wait For You (Take Your Time) and APT 3A

• Prog list   2 weeks 4 days ago

Please vote on the comment section of my best ever album tournament round 1 page. It would be very nice to have your input and participation.

• My Top Albums (now numbered & ranked!!!)   2 weeks 5 days ago

Hey, please participate on my tournament for best album ever. Voting for round has begun. Thanks.

• Classical Music - Greatest Piano Sonatas   2 weeks 5 days ago

I do too. What's impressive to me is op. 111 was written by Beethoven in 1821. The proto jazz/boogie-woogie part is mindblowing for its time. I just can't ignore how modern and transcendent it is even next to the masterpieces that preceeded it - hence the nº1 place. All works by Beethoven listed here are works of genius - and I'm sure I left some more out since I haven't heard all of his sonatas. The ranking is superfluous because it's constantly subject to change.
    I recommend this lecture by Schiff himself on the Waldstein sonata
    I haven't listened to Chopin's sonatas enough. How would you rank them? Would they make your top ten?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 5 days ago

Update 11
    Ultimo Lee joined the 1 or more films per day group. Congrads! Alas, tom_elce did not log so many films and has slipped back into that same group. Good luck in climbing back up. McJoJo climbed one slot in a consistent move upward to hold 5th place alone. In our other moves Puzzgal rose one place to 8th and loonapick claimed the spot at 18th back from kgracetasticsake. Good jobs all.

As a group we logged 113 movies in the week, continuing the reduction in movies logged, for a total of 2438 films. For the next update on 10 May, the numbers for 1, 2 and 3 films per day are 130, 260 and 390, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Classical Music - Greatest Piano Sonatas   2 weeks 5 days ago

I accept all your arguments despite they are opposite of mine.
    "playful, naive" are the quality that i dislike the most in Mozart and that sonata is so light and harmonically inconsistent to represent a nice example of unworthy composition.
    The Arietta from op.111 is one of Beethoven great movements. Only the first mov meet my reservation. It's rather mechanic in its progression and harmonically not consistent at all. The 2nd movememnt is great but some variations don't persuade me at all (for instance the proto-jazz variation) and the whole movemement shows a more improvisatory quality and less sustained structure (not necessarily a quality in my opinion) than its op. 109 predecessor.
    I really envy your live experience with Schiff.
    op.53: one of the recognized gem of Beethoven's heroic period. According to me, is just a long, pretentious, boring sonata.
    I can name 25 better piano compositions by Ludwig van.
    No Chopin on your list?

• Greatest Horror Movies   2 weeks 5 days ago

I would not dare to "recommend" it but, being quite unknown, I suggest it, at least.

• Foods highest in magnesium   2 weeks 5 days ago

I like these. They're useful.

• BEST 1000 DANCE TRACKS [1984-2009]   2 weeks 5 days ago

I guess me and my brother Rhano could've done a better job on Nu Groove Records to make this list! Maybe next time

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   2 weeks 6 days ago

You can consider my own votes for all of the first round "done", including any "No vote yet" entries. I'm simply too busy and don't care enough about the albums I've missed to squeeze time in to listen to them right now -- maybe some time in the future, but not now. If I happen to catch some before you move on to round 2, I will of course update those votes, but otherwise, please consider my first round voting complete.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   2 weeks 6 days ago

I'm not starting round 2 till everyone posts all their votes. This may take years.

• Top 400 trance tracks of all time   2 weeks 6 days ago

Hello guys, good memories listening to some of the songs from the list. There is a song that I couldn't find, just remember that the rhythm was similar to ATB - 9 PM (Till I Come) but faster like using a banjo. If anyone remembers anything like please tell me.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   3 weeks 5 hours ago

Well, I will only be able to listen to the albums after 12 May.

So I need a specific date.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   3 weeks 5 hours ago

Perfect from Now On
    Fun House

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 4   3 weeks 5 hours ago

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 3   3 weeks 5 hours ago

Tago Mago
    Fare Forward Voyagers

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 2   3 weeks 5 hours ago

Spirit of Eden
    Good

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   3 weeks 5 hours ago

For now my votes go: Ramones/Exile on Main St./Songs of Leonard Cohen/Call Me/Horses/+Taking Tiger Mountain/Escalator Over The Hill/Revolver/Hosianna Mantra/Junkyard

• The 100 Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 6 hours ago

Sounds awesome. They seem like a really fascinating band. I'm guessing I'll go through a long Sonic Youth phase in the near future. I need to hear all this awesome stuff!

What about A Thousand Leaves? Christgau thinks the world of it, and I kinda agree with him. It's fascinating.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 17 hours ago

Polanski's Rosemary's Baby is a psychological horror about alienation born of losses in one's faith in trust, identity, and knowledge. Each of these, socially constructed, shatters in the face of a different nature. It is both a moral nightmare and a spiritual (demonic) journey through the socially dignified and confirmed, generational ego, which is shocked by artifacts of the previous generations.

First, the film assaults the female identity and her dignity and victimhood. The horror that lies under the floorboard of the expected preferential treatment is the unexpected mistreatment, with its slowly recognized onset, coming from all angles. Therefore she is the victim of political correctness and a victim of her egotistical acceptance of it. The witches are a metaphor for people who are supposed to provide, or do provide, this plausible kindness: doctors, husbands, neighbors, friends, etc., and everyone else in society who is a pretentious vehicle of misinformation. The weapon they use is the myth, the attraction to which perpetually creates these "trustworthy" or "untrustworthy" identities and influences the pool of factors for our physical, psychological, and spiritual health, deemed better or worse. Our babies are handed directly to these witches.

Second, it assaults the dichotomy between reality and dreams. Reality only feels more real because of the sense of control, but one is equally at the will of one's brain's architecture, its automatic calculations. In fact, Rosemary's psychological dreams are more representative of her reality than her waking perception of the physical world. Her dreams pour into her reality as water pours into a room with no water. This breakdown of everything that seemed consciously important is met with a second horror: it is her actual responsibility to accept the baby. She (and the baby) is one part self, one part environment: the terror in the environment is something she has to accept, as part of herself. One leg is within; one leg is without. Metaphysically, she cannot separate herself from the environment. The fight is ultimately an egotistical one. The acceptance involves overcoming the trauma (based on the overloaded dignity of the female and the mother) and losing the prejudice surrounding the word "witch." The witch and the female should be put together. Hence the film is in a way a criticism of the female with her self-hatred.

The idea of the myth itself protects the witches: they can't be real, they are just a myth. And it encourages us to fight until the very end against them because of their negative connotation. The movie forces us to see, after convincing us of the opposite, that a witch is not always a witch. When presented with something totally real and pure, the baby, having heard the entire story, she cannot accept it, as she cannot accept tannin root in her tea as an equally stigmatized object. The story is in a way one of sympathy for witches, whose name prevents them (if they were real) from procreating and participating in society. The horror story about witches therefore is both a serious discussion on not taking malpractitioners and corrupt representatives seriously enough (the horror of this moral negligence or confusion) and a satire on our taking them too seriously, as if they are out to kill us, when they are only different. It is a constellation of social criticism and metaphysical suspense, a dissection of all our socially constructed belief.

It is comparable to Brazil in its dizzying array of terrible morally decaying sights and also compares to Wings of Desire in its rendering of the myth of the witch like the rendering of the myth of the angel: utterly human, anthropomorphic. Mia Farrow provides one of the greatest acting performances.

• Songs about Texas and/or its cities   3 weeks 23 hours ago

Really can't believe they haven't caught this one..

Going through the Big D (and don't mean Dallas) - MARK CHESNUTT

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die   3 weeks 1 day ago

Books are a door to another world!

• Greatest Horror Movies   3 weeks 1 day ago