• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   4 weeks 5 days ago

Yes, absolutely, the more art one experiences/absorbs the more art one is then able to ... experience/absorb :) Which is another reason why I started it; so people can see/experience the correlations to help them think with/consider the works and their merits, etc...

I've thought about it before and might do a "reverse" list, or combine the two onto the same list.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   4 weeks 6 days ago

Actually, I think it can be useful in providing some insight into the works themselves as well :)

That's certainly an interesting point re: Metropolis and Aeroplane.

By the way, I was wondering: are you going to do a Best Films compared to Best Albums version? Meaning, you find a group of rock/jazz albums (maybe even classical music?) corresponding to a specific film rather than the other way around. That would be slightly more convenient because a group of albums is easier and less time-consuming to get through than a group of films.

Yea it's kind of a fun little hobby I just sort of came upon by accident some years ago when I started noticing that some of the best films aligned pretty well to the best albums. It just gives me an additional point-of-interest while I build my lists :)

Another note re: Metropolis and Aeroplane that I forgot to mention in my haste ... both are "visually" similar in that they're depicting (visually or musically) "visionary retro-futures" where the scenes are fusions from several sources of inspiration between past/future, often simultaneously.

That's exactly what I was thinking of! It's really fun picking out all these things, no?

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   4 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, I don't believe I've heard that one yet :-)

Yes, I need to watch Metropolis again, but -- off the top of my head -- I am pretty sure the film's themes and emotions align with the time frames (by percent of running time) of Aeroplane pretty closely all the way through. And there is pretty much no denying -- as you alluded to -- that the intensity of each is kept at a similar pitch... The beginning of the film as it is expressing his youth and his exploits in the gardens and grounds and when he meets Maria aligns well to track #1, then the explosive incident in the underground city and ensuing fall-out and his furious pleas to his father, perhaps aligning to track #2 ... Maria getting all evangelical and describing the mythological and biblical events/stories (and becoming two-faced/doubled) and the protagonist's friend dying, aligning to Two Headed Boy + the funereal instrumental track, the Dr chasing her and that whole suspenseful series of scenes aligning to the Holland track ... The protagonist sick in bed while Maria engaging in sexual exploits while all hell starts to break loose aligning to Oh Comely and, as you said, the Furioso ... on top of that, the film can be seen as an allegory to the Nazi party...

That was off the top of my head, and I haven't watched the film in a while to have the opportunity to really break it down, but I think you get the idea... Regardless, both have a similar degree of emotional significance and intensity and conviction... As a fun aside, for visual art, Aeroplane also aligns well with Bosch's Garden of Delights painting...

In the Aeroplane Over The Sea = Metropolis is an interesting comparison that I'd never have thought up myself but seems appropriate somehow. I can see how Furioso in particular would be = Ghost + Untitled + Two Headed Boy Pt 2.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   4 weeks 6 days ago

Where do you get all the time for this stuff??

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   4 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, I haven't heard them yet. Maybe I'll give 'em a shot this coming week while I'm checking out some paintings/visual art.

Considering how much you like Loveless, I'm interested in what you'd think of the Glider and Tremolo EPs.

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   4 weeks 6 days ago

You gotta hear Let My Children Hear Music. It's unbelievable. I love it as much as I love Black Saint, if not more.

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   5 weeks 1 hour ago

I'd say. Something I like about the slower parts: they're really cool on their own, but then the music speeds up and suddenly it's like those parts were just there to make the climaxes seem even more awesome.

I gotta check out Epitaph and other Mingus albums sometime.

• Rock : The Most Influential Artists   5 weeks 7 hours ago

Both bands are highly influential. I‘ve listed Beefheart because there are hundreds of indie/avant/punk rock bands who have cited his music as a strong and/or direct influence on their own music. From Tom Waits to the Minutemen to Pere Ubu to ...

• Rock : The Greatest Male Vocalists   5 weeks 7 hours ago

I don‘t care too much for neither fame nor technical perfection. But yeah, he‘s great, specially on Bohemian Rhapsody.

• 10 Greatest female artists in rock history.   5 weeks 16 hours ago

Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer and Debbie Harry instead of Liz Phair, Siouxsie Sioux and Chrissie Hynde. They had a greater influence and acclaim.

• Rock : The Greatest Male Vocalists   5 weeks 16 hours ago

Where is Freddie Mercury? (A Night at the Opera/Bohemian Rhapsody) He defintely needs to be in the list.

• Rock : The Most Influential Artists   5 weeks 18 hours ago

Short, but correct list. I would change Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   5 weeks 1 day ago

About 5 weeks since the last update. Having slipped out of the top 10 and with her/his account gone from Listology, McJoJo has been removed.
    Update #17 (I think)

(18 Sep)(261 days)

=======⥣⥣⥣ > 2 films/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 2 films/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    1.(1) tom_elce 508 (65)
    2.(2) mightysparks 388 (57)
    3.(3) loonapick 286 (36)
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 1 film/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 1 film/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    6. (4) Ultimo Lee 242 (40)
    5. (5) Tatum 234 (33)
    4. (6) dashforcover 225 (15)
    7. (6) Puzzgal 216 (22)
    8. (8) mamushka 167 (26)
    9. (14) Laivaren 130 (18)
    10. (9) julesyoung 129 (1)
    11. (12) danvers 127 (14)
    12. (11) skullduggerish 124 (10)
    13. (12) guardianryoga 121 (8)
    14. (15) LukeRobot 114 (10)
    15. (17) mattmakins 112 (17)
    16. (16) bpchicky 102 (0)
    17. (18) kaplan 89 (0)
    17. (19) nyybella 89 (4)
    19. (20) Lendoxia 67 (4)
    20. (21) kgracetasticsake 54 (6)
    21. (23) nukualofa 52 (20)
    22. (21) hinterland 49 (1)
    23. (24) AJDaGreat 48 (17)
    24. (25) alberkin 24 (0)
    25. (26) aaliyah16 16 (2)

At the moment there is one tie at 17. Tom_elce continues to widen his lead. The biggest change is that Laivaren leaped from 14 to a new spot at 9. Welcome to the top ten! kaplan, we still miss you.

• The 100 Greatest Electronic/Dance Albums   5 weeks 1 day ago

That's great, I'm glad you're making use of my list. Yeah, I need to expand my 'Favorite Albums' list (I had kinda forgotten about it, actually). Haha... yeah, get a copy of 'The Fat of the Land', man. It's essential listening and still holds up remarkably well after all these years.

And I so adore 'Second Toughest in the Infants'. While it's nowhere near as celebrated as 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman', I do think it's Underworld's highwater mark. By the way, I'm very happy to see you loved 'Dubnobass...' as much as you did! It truly is a brilliant record ("Surfboy" is my jam). Cheers.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   5 weeks 1 day ago

No problem :) Yes, generally speaking, those "greatest paintings" lists are worth a look. Usually most of their selections are works that are at least acclaimed/significant historically. They're useful, especially as a start while one is developing his/her criteria/tastes. Painting critics/analysts tend to be quite dependable -- similar to classical music critics/historians/analysts.

• Media Log 2014   5 weeks 1 day ago

Haha, lucky guess then :P Yes it totally is a killer album; going even further, an evocative and dynamic experience. It's like in every song the singer is pondering on identity and uniqueness while the atmosphere at once seems to convey an apocalyptic and desolate landscape. The closing tracks (The Other Side+I Know You) are also totally devastating and the best ending from all Morphine albums. The whole album in fact, takes advantage of the album format in a way no other Morphine album does.

Like Swimming would be 6.5 or 7 maybe. I haven't listened to it much, because almost none of the songs are as satisfying as the best of the previous albums.

Dude thanks for taking the time to write this very thoughtful and detailed comment :)

I just read it and I think there are literally thousands of great paintings that I have to see and I have already seen, like , five :D This is pretty exciting, to say the least. The HistoryWorld website looks good and very user-friendly, I think I'd go through that first.

I have another question, if you don't mind : Are the famous mainstream "greatest paintings ever" lists worth a look? Or are they rather irrelevant? (you know, like Rolling Stone's 500 albums list for rock)

• Media Log 2014   5 weeks 1 day ago

I always thought Good would eventually end up in your top 10-15 rock albums. I feel so smart now that it's up there :D But seriously, it's a killer album, totally deserves a very high spot. It's one of those albums that I wish I could list in the top 10 or 20, but that would be dishonest 'cause I don't listen to it THAT much.

It would be very interesting to see how you'd rate Like Swimming. It's a pretty underrated album IMO.

• Media Log 2014   5 weeks 2 days ago

I updated it when I updated my latest update of my now updated Greatest Albums Extended (and updated) list.

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (combination list including all 4 editions)   5 weeks 3 days ago

• Titles read as of September 16, 2014: 125

(I still can't edit my original comment, but updates I previously had to list as individual comments are now all aggregated again into one. Perhaps a kindly moderating brownie is tidying things up when I'm not looking. If so, thank you!)