• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   5 weeks 2 days ago

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend that third one to just about everyone. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was probably my favorite film of the 2000s. Either that or Children of Men, but I'll usually go with the former because its screenplay is far better, whereas the latter's is kind of weak.

• Best Movies of the Decade, 2000-2009   5 weeks 2 days ago

"Riveting and brilliant from start to finish"? I think you mean from finish to middle ;)

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   5 weeks 2 days ago

TKAM should probably be higher than ET and Batman, I don't know why the hell it ended up at its particular spot. I haven't paid much attention to the lower rated films' ranking.

The 5.5 for Spartacus was on a whim, I've only watched it once. I probably would have rated it 6 at the time, but from memory there wasn't much that was interesting about it. Perhaps I'm being unfair, I'd have to watch it again.

P.S. Your Best Movies list is great, it was especially nice to see somebody appreciates Dr Strangelove, A Hard Day's Night and The Incredibles as much as I do :D

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   5 weeks 2 days ago

I've watched parts of a few of these, but only Vertigo in full, which I'm planning to rewatch and include on this list. Thank you by the way, I will get around to some of these pretty soon.

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   5 weeks 2 days ago

Based on your list, some films I'd recommend to you would include (off the top of my head, in no particular order, if you haven't seen them already)...

Brazil - Gilliam [Final Cut]
    Modern Times - Chaplin
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Gondry
    Vertigo - Alfred Hitchcock
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - Spielberg
    The General - Keaton
    The 39 Steps - Hitchcock
    The Graduate - Nichols
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Spielberg
    LA Confidential - Hanson
    Network - Lumet
    The Game - Fincher

• 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (Rated)   5 weeks 2 days ago

'Spartacus' and TKAM are higher on my list, but I still agree that they're both a little overrated.

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   5 weeks 3 days ago

Yes I think You Made Me Realize is awesome. I aslo have Tremolo but haven't heard it yet. I'll listen to all their EP's soon but at the moment I'm more fascinated by discovering great LP's like Gong's Camembert Electrique (which blew my mind recently) and Czukay/Wobble/Liebzeit's Full Circle (which is so magnificent that I don't even know how to describe it properly yet).

You got any LP suggestions? Specially prog and metal? I really like to find more masterpieces in these genres.

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   5 weeks 3 days ago

I have heard the actual EP's, and they're pretty good. You Made Me Realise at least I think you're familiar with already?

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   5 weeks 3 days ago

Yes, it's probably a 9 but I need to relisten. I have listened to a few albums each by Mingus (The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is probably at least a 9.5), Davis and Coleman as well. I'd probably have included quite a few jazz albums here if I hadn't been out of touch with the genre for such a long time. Hopefully this list will be more diverse by the end of the year.

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   5 weeks 3 days ago

Been wondering the same thing. Also: Davis and Mingus and Coleman's masterpieces.

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   5 weeks 3 days ago

I haven't heard it but I too have seen some pretty good BEA lists with that compilation on them. Still I won't include any album or compilation that I'm not totally familiar with. But yeah, it seems like it's great.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   5 weeks 3 days ago

After re-watching Eraserhead, I removed it from being a candidate for In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Spiderland and VU & Nico, and lowered its ranking in its candidacy for Faust. However, it improved its candidacy for Suicide's debut, as possibly an even closer comparison than Taxi Driver. I'll probably have to watch Eraserhead and Taxi Dr again before making any changes.

Additionally, after re-watching Aronofsky's The Fountain, I removed it from candidacy for Rock Bottom.

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   5 weeks 3 days ago

Have you heard A Love Supreme yet?

• Greatest Films - Extended List   5 weeks 3 days ago

Re: Comparing Albums to Films ... yep, both for WL/WH, probably just Pulp Fiction for VU & Nico -- two of the more difficult albums to find a close comparison to. Several films share certain characteristics but I'm not quite sure if any have the whole package. Maybe such a close approximation doesn't exist for those albums?

For VU and Nico it is very difficult to find a film that visualizes the suffocating, oppressive, expressionistic "deaf noise" atmosphere of the album AND also has a similar series of episodes/situations ... Touch of Evil may be the closest (but is it too "un-serious/uninhibited" to be oppressive?). Taxi Driver has the visualization down and even bookends pretty closely to how the album does, but I'm not sure if its mid-section keeps up with VU & Nico's (especially All Tomorrow's Parties, Heroin). I'm warming up to both Alfredo Garcia and Clockwork Orange as possibilities, and I've long considered Lost Highway a possibility... re: Pulp Fiction, it has similar situations/emotional arc but, like I mentioned with Touch of Evil, it may be too "uninhibited/un-serious" and doesn't seem to exhibit its suffocating, oppressive, expressionistic, "deaf noise" at all (unless I'm missing something about it) ... and Von Stroheim's Greed might be the ticket if I could just watch the darn thing again (very difficult to find, especially a decent copy, currently only on VHS) ... For WL/WH there are a group of films that exhibit similar structure/themes but I'm not sure if one exists that spends most of one of its halves (preferably the second half) following the black mass of relentless oblivion to the degree that VU's Sister Ray does.

• Rock 150 albums (limited 2 albums per artist)   5 weeks 3 days ago

Completely agree!

• Rock Masterpieces : 100 Best Albums   5 weeks 3 days ago

I haven't heard My Bloody Valentine's compilation EP's 1988-1991 in full, but from what I've heard, it's probably worth including here?

• My Top 50 Albums   5 weeks 4 days ago

A very nice list :D

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   5 weeks 4 days ago

Magical Mystery Tour.

• Greatest Films - Extended List   5 weeks 4 days ago

Interesting points about Pulp Fiction. Maybe it's the larger-than-life characterization and length that turn me off somewhat despite those things being among its strengths. I like Reservoir Dogs more for the very reasons you mentioned ("12 Angry Men gimmick" is pretty appropriate as 12 Angry Men is one of my favourite movies!) I guess comparing Pulp Fiction to Reservoir Dogs is like comparing VU&N to WL/WH: the former does more interesting things and is more diverse/longer while the second one is simply more enjoyable. [EDIT: Just noticed on your Comparing Albums To Films list that Pulp Fiction is a candidate for VU&N and Reservoir Dogs for WL/WH :D]

Thanks for these suggestions, I do need to watch those films.

As for our rating systems, I think they're similar enough though maybe not exactly the same. 6.5-7/10=good, 6/10=okay but flawed, something like that.

• Greatest Films - Extended List   5 weeks 4 days ago

Whoops :) I hadn't looked at it until now because I thought it was just a copy of the 1001 Films Before You Die book list. I'd missed the "rated" part of the title. Nice, I'll keep up on that one

• Greatest Films - Extended List   5 weeks 4 days ago

Not really; my 1001 Films Before You Die Rated list is pretty close though.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   5 weeks 4 days ago

Note: the rankings "(1), (2), (3)" etc for the "candidates" section are in order of likelihood (subject to change).

• Greatest Films - Extended List   5 weeks 4 days ago

Yep, as always, it comes down to a matter of opinion -- subjective...blah blah... Any plans to creating and consistently updating a "Best Films" list?

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   5 weeks 5 days ago

What do you mean by "MMT"?

• Greatest Films - Extended List   5 weeks 5 days ago

Cool, a 7/10 is still excellent (if a 7/10 is as good as mine in your ratings system) ... Pulp Fiction is Tarantino presenting a series of retro characters that recall old crime films and leading them into situations that defy the immediate expectations that those characters would get into in those old crime films, instead exploding those situations from the retro past into violent or intense modern-style dilemmas, including the structure of the plot and their verbose interactions with one another. It also has a visual sense that tends to turn the characters into larger-than-life mythic figures (as if exploding off the climactic pages from a comic book).