• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 4 days ago

In his defense, when you're attempting to aptly describe the nuances, evocations, sensations and emotions of the greatest works of art, it can be very challenging, and by and large, I feel he does a (much) better job than most. The only other way would be an all caps F-word - or series of them - as the review!

• Most Emotionally Moving/Devastating Films   1 week 4 days ago

Late Spring would rank well too; really not sure which one would top the other. Its very difficult to rank them all perfectly on this element alone of course. ... Probably the biggest jump would be Paris, Texas -- possibly top 10.

• Most Emotionally Moving/Devastating Films   1 week 4 days ago

:)! I probably find Late Spring more affecting than Tokyo Story, but both films are devastating masterpieces so I can't fault your choice. The more Ozu appreciation the better!

• Most Emotionally Moving/Devastating Films   1 week 4 days ago

Additional note: Your aforementioned Tokyo Story would also likely be a bit higher -- perhaps top 15, maybe even top 10.

• My Favorite Music   1 week 4 days ago

Holy cow, you weren't kidding with Moondance!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

It's pretty much a perfect collection of songs from start to finish. The only other album I can think of that is so consistently excellent is The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Given your ratings on albums such as What's Going On and Rumours, I'm completely baffled that it's only a 7.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks, would love for that to change. Do you have any reasons behind what makes it so amazing?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

Van Morrison - Moondance

You previously gave it a 7, but I don't buy that rating lol

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (combination list including all 4 editions)   1 week 4 days ago

• Titles read as of September 16, 2014: 125
    • Titles read as of December 4, 2014: 126
    • Titles read as of December 15, 2014: 127
    • Titles read as of December 31, 2014: 128
    • Titles read as of January 11, 2015: 129

• Ultimate Classic House List (1984-1989)   1 week 5 days ago

Foremost Poets - Reasons To Be Dismal (Foresight Version)... One of the best tracks Made, Hats Off

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 5 days ago

You also have to choose to have the list numbered, rather than bulleted. That setting is located under the box where you list your titles and is labeled "List format". And follow McJoJo's instructions for preventing numbering of lines you don't want counted.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 5 days ago

Start any line you don't want numbered with a _ that should keep it from having a number.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 5 days ago

any idea how i can set that up and not have "Films Watched In 2014" or "January" numbered?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

Cool, looking forward to your opinion of Playtime as well as any others!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

in other words "yes" in that I already think seriously about films and care to look for the great ones, but "no" in that I won't necessarily pay attention to films regularly and don't (yet) strive to make a list

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

I don't think of my consumption of music as being a serious effort but if you mean whether I'll be making a movie list, maybe: I could right now, but I'd only have maybe 30 worthy items (unless I went all the way to the worst film I've watched - say, Carrie). I started thinking critically about both music and film not too long ago; actually the film criticism, or pseudo-criticism, probably started earlier, as tends to be the case for people since film critics are more mainstream

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

My main method for acquiring them is via my library. With our library system (Oregon, USA), I can get almost anything, and it's free :-) I've never seen either of those films yet (though have heard good things, particularly Mon Oncle) and absolutely LOVE Playtime, so I wouldn't think you'd need to either.

Are you planning on making a serious effort with film, like you've been doing with rock music?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

random question, but do I watch Holiday and Mon Oncle before watching Tati's Playtime (the latter caught my eye and someone recommended one be familiar with the earlier ones first) - and what's your main method of acquiring movies?

• Film Log   1 week 6 days ago

Oh man, on the big screen would really be something.

Re: Susan Sontag ... Yes, she knows what she's talking about! :) Especially useful advice for clearing away the overwrought mental carcass of today's typically blockbuster/sequel-oriented cinema!

Re: Book length ... Wow, that is surprising. Probably an indication of just how much it has been transformed into Tarr's cinematic language.

Re: Marketa Lazarova ... Looking forward to your reaction and thoughts. One of the few films to legitimately match Tarkovsky in his singular visions through cinema!

• Film Log   1 week 6 days ago

Susan Sontag is on the same page as you; she described the film as "Devastating, enthralling for every minute of its seven hours. I'd be glad to see it every year for the rest of my life." I'm still amazed at how utterly absorbing the the entire movie is; I'd love to see it in the theatre one day. So many scenes seem like they could stand as astonishing little films on their own--the doctor getting his brandy, the harrowing tale of the girl and her cat, the comic translation of Irimias's letter into a bureaucratic language, etc--but Tarr somehow manages to merge them seamlessly into a broader imaginative design. I was shocked to learn the source material is less than 350 pages; I had assumed it was on the same scale as War & Peace. Given this, it's particularly amazing that the adaptation does not feel bloated in the least bit.

You have not, I don't think, mentioned Lazorova. I avoided reading any details, so I'll take your recommendation on blind faith :). I'll try to get my hands on it soon, thanks!

• Film Log   2 weeks 7 hours ago

Ahhh, Satantango... :-) Should probably be required viewing every year or so, if at least to gradually eclipse all the lesser art one might have consumed during each interval...

...and, holy crap, have I not recommended the astonishing Marketa Lazorova to you? This -- honestly -- should be the very next film you see!!! (if I'm not mistaken that you haven't seen it!!!) I already consider it one of the greatest films ever made but I could quite easily be underestimating it!! Was that enough exclams?

• Books I Read in 2015   2 weeks 8 hours ago

• Clone of "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die"   2 weeks 9 hours ago

Mon Oncle (1958) is how it's listed on Imdb

• Most Emotionally Moving/Devastating Films   2 weeks 17 hours ago

Thank you! This list really needs to be updated (probably when I make my next cycle through films). Top four should probably be something like Nostalghia, Landscape in the Mist, Sacrifice, The Passion of Joan of Arc ... I think?

Anyway, thank you for the recommendation. This is the perfect place for it :-)

• Favorite Video Games   2 weeks 17 hours ago

Also check out the other games by Nifflas, he's definitely one of the better indie game makers.