• The Greatest Albums Ever   5 weeks 1 day ago

My Spotify account is screwed up up for some reason. I couldn't found a download for it either. Friends might have it so I'll keep an eye for it. How would you describe the album?

• Favorite albums of 2015   5 weeks 1 day ago

Jeez, it's OK to form your own opinions man. Who cares if Scaruffi doesn't like it. Are you just going to stop listening to new music when Scaruffi dies? Listen to a track or two from the album and if it resonates with you, listen to some more. If it doesn't, move on--simple as that. The Epic is a throwback to the music of Coltrane, McCoy Tyner and Sanders--if you like them you'll probably like The Epic.

• Favorite albums of 2015   5 weeks 1 day ago

I'm considering checking out Kamasi Washington's The Epic but am hesitant to devote the time to it before I see if Scaruffi rates it highly as well. In your opinion how does it compare qualitatively to other "spiritual jazz" greats such as Alice Coltrane's Ptah The El Doaud, McCoy Tyner's Extensions or Sahara, or even Pharoah Sanders' Karma, Keith Jarrett's Survivor' Suite or, the ultimate: Coltrane's A Love Supreme?

• Greatest Rock Albums   5 weeks 1 day ago

Haha, great comparison!

I can't recommend Y enough, but I'm glad you've heard its most original track. Every track is startling in its own right.

• Greatest Rock Albums   5 weeks 2 days ago

just Thief of Fire - cool track, reminded me of James Brown and Beefheart collaborating on a cover of Simply Saucer's Illegal Bodies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jli9L1gyI)

• Greatest Rock Albums   5 weeks 2 days ago

Have you checked out Pop Group's Y?

• Jan Strach - Top Favorite Albums   5 weeks 2 days ago

Faust IV, Goat and Daydream Nation are three of my favorites too. What do you think of Faust's debut and Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising? Have you ever tried Glenn Branca's The Ascension (featuring Sonic Youths guitarists) ?

• My Favorite Music   5 weeks 2 days ago

What would you say makes Divers the best Joanna Newsom album and among the best ever?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   5 weeks 6 days ago

Re: overexposure ... yeah, it's the token "greatest jazz album of all time". As far as jazz goes, it's very easy to assimilate while also being very melodic and rewarding as well as having a certain perfection of form, so I can understand why it's the go-to album for such rankings. However, as much as I love it, I do find the ones I rate in the 8's, and especially 8.5's and 9's, quite a bit more transcendent.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 weeks 5 hours ago

Yeah, me too! I think most of them will probably stay within +/- 0.2 of their current rating, but some will move more. For instance, right now I'm strongly considering Liberation Music Orchestra for the 8.6-8.9/10-range. Franz Koglmann isn't one of the new ones but he is an artist I always feel like I'm underrating; his two works on my list are so ambiguous and comprehensive in their art that theyre pretty challenging to assimilate and rate confidently.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 weeks 5 hours ago

At least you've loved it for 20 years, but nobody has to think it's perfect. It has certainly become one of the least exciting albums around due to over-exposure. I still think it's priceless, but only listen to it when I feel compelled to.

I'm really intrigued about these new jazz albums that you're listing. Interested to see where it goes a few months from now.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 weeks 5 hours ago

Well, I definitely understand your sentiment: its an album Ive loved and been listening to for 20 years. But you might be underestimating what a 7.5/10 means to me. 7.3+ are all works I find emotionally and/or conceptually extraordinary, historical standouts as such. They're frequently albums that would get near or at the highest ratings by most standards. Kind of Blue is basically a perfect album of modal jazz. It has liberated, vibrant, beautifully felt performances and melodic architecture. It captures its title perfectly: always on the verge of full-tilt blues, hanging, suspended in that feeling. Its pretty much flawless at what its doing. From that perspective, its a 5-star, 10/10 masterpiece. For me, the albums above it are just more amazing/awe-inspiring emotionally/conceptually, even if no more or less flawless in their execution.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   6 weeks 14 hours ago

No way. No way Kind of Blue deserves that rating.
    Seriously. Why?

• Favorite 2016 Albums   6 weeks 2 days ago

Ok cool, no worries.

• Complete filmography of the last 20 deceased Oscar nominated actors   6 weeks 2 days ago

• Favorite 2016 Albums   6 weeks 2 days ago

You're welcome. I have to say Animals is probably not close to the level of brilliance of This Heat. This Heat basically have the perfect discography: 2 classic LP's, one classic EP and they were out.

Films with two or more of the last 20

GEORGE KENNEDY and JAMES GARNER - The Pink Jungle
    GEORGE KENNEDY and MARTHA HYER - The Man From the Diners' Club
    GEORGE KENNEDY and MARTHA HYER - The Sons of Katie Elder
    FRANK FINLAY and RON MOODY - The Sandwich Man
    ROBERT LOGGIA and OMAR SHARIF - Che!
    ROBERT LOGGIA and ROBIN WILLIAMS - Shrink
    ROBIN WILLIAMS and MICKEY ROONEY - Night at the Museum
    ROBIN WILLIAMS and MICKEY ROONEY - Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb
    ROBIN WILLIAMS and PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN - Patch Adams
    JAMES GARNER and JUANITA MOORE - Skin Game
    RUBY DEE and JUANITA MOORE - Uptight

• Most Emotionally Moving Films   6 weeks 3 days ago

Yeah, I agree with that distinction.

• Most Emotionally Moving Films   6 weeks 3 days ago

Vertigo is more devastating and powerful, whereas Casablanca is more on the sentimental, heartwarming side.

• Most Emotionally Moving Films   6 weeks 3 days ago

I would most likely disagree with it being more moving than Vertigo (unless Vertigo drops some notches upon revisiting), but City Lights is a great choice that should make it on here at some point.

• Most Emotionally Moving Films   6 weeks 3 days ago

I'm afraid I haven't watched most of these. I'd say it's definitely more moving than Vertigo at least. Also, I see City Lights still hasn't made it.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   6 weeks 3 days ago

Charlie Haden's astounding jazz album, Liberation Music Orchestra (1969), is an absolute must. I'd be surprised if it didn't quickly establish itself on this list. I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's easy to find too (Spotify, etc).

• Favorite 2016 Albums   6 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, I'm intrigued to check it out as well as revisit This Heat.

• Most Emotionally Moving Films   6 weeks 4 days ago

Hmmmm, possibly... Its an excellently crafted film in every respect. Not sure just how moving I find it. In your opinion, is it more moving than any of these or are you recommending it for 41+?

• Most Emotionally Moving Films   6 weeks 4 days ago