• Favorite Films in Rough Order   3 weeks 3 days ago

I like this list too. I dig how vibrant your choices are :)

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 3 days ago

Update 23

We had several changes this time. Ultimo Lee snags 6th, mamushka reclaimed 8th, nukualofa joined danvers at 13th (my we have a lot of action aroung slot 13), and LukeRobot bypassed Tatum claiming a solo spot at 16th Good jobs all.

As a group we logged only 95 movies snce the last update for a total of 4322 films. This is the first time we have been under 100. Obviously the activities of summer are taking their proper place in the halcyon days of late summer. For the next update on 16 August, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 228 and 456, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 3 days ago

In my view the disdain for women in Nostalghia isn't a genre thing at all, but just disdain for women. I know Rosenbaum says Tarkovsky's "sexual politics are Neanderthal".

Tangentially re: Tarkovsky liking The Terminator; the one that always puzzled me was Bresson's love for For Your Eyes Only.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 4 days ago

Some aspects of his work suggest that he would've liked Terminator. For example the disdain for the woman in Nostalghia is a form of stepping on romance (and art). Many of his characters are progressive and virtually become violent for their causes (for the future). The Terminator can be seen as a symbol of the intellectual who lives outside of pop culture: he walks toward pop culture but is suppressed on his way there, as fate would have it. Stalker (a sci-fi film of his) and The Sacrifice have similarities too. The title of Stalker isn't an indication of those similarities though. it means something different in the movie.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 4 days ago

Looking at those quotes again, I guess they aren't that strongly related as I'd supposed. By the way, I do understand your interpretation (though it's true generally that sometimes you have a way of explaining things that makes them seem more difficult to understand) I'm still kinda curious as to what a more detailed review from Tarkovsky would have looked like; he doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who'd like it.

I haven't watched it in a long time either. Perhaps rewatch it? Maybe it will turn out to be good in a different way from the first one.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 4 days ago

He doesn't elaborate so, even though I agree, what he says in that quote is too simple to strongly relate to what I said. It seems you don't understand my interpretation. If that is the case it's partly my fault because I'm not that good at explaining myself. I think I saw Terminator 2 when I was younger. I don't remember it but don't think it is as good because everything that is important about the relationship between the Terminator and the humans is fleshed out in the first movie.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 4 days ago

Nice, thank you, I wouldn't be surprised :-)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 4 days ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Decals overtook Safe as Milk. Also, the last three Beefheart albums are all at least 7/10 (even Doc at the Radar Station, despite what Scaruffi thinks). I'd recommend listening to all of them.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 4 days ago

Good question. Id have to re-listen to Lick My Decals Off and Strictly Personal but they're probably 7 - 7.5 range. Not sure about the others...

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 4 days ago

Oh right, I got it. Yeah I did say I wanted a review, and this is a good one.

A curious fact: Tarkovsky liked it, and wrote: "The brutality and low acting skills are unfortunate, but as a vision of the future and the relation between man and his destiny, the film is pushing the frontier of cinema as an art." Perhaps this can relate to what you yourself wrote? ("Sci-fi is an expansion of our imagination. This expansion could be terrifying like the concept of A.I. could threaten the comfort of current notions of reality. Since we don't take movies seriously, the movie itself, both the action movie and the romance movie, is a metaphor for our future - i.e., some people don't take the threat of A.I. seriously.")

Have you watched Terminator 2? I'd be interested in what you think of that one in relation to the first.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 4 days ago

I wonder what you'd rate the Beefheart/Magic Band albums besides Safe as Milk, Trout Mask Replica, and Mirror Man.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 5 days ago

I compare it to Terminator because it's one of the lower movies on the list and I want to explain why It's a Wonderful Life isn't here, which I would tentatively give a 7. Also you said wanted to see a review a while ago.

The tough guy barges into the romance movie. Art romanticizes the things we want to see, which makes it limited and leaves us blindsided. Sci-fi is an expansion of our imagination. This expansion could be terrifying like the concept of A.I. could threaten the comfort of current notions of reality. Since we don't take movies seriously, the movie itself, both the action movie and the romance movie, is a metaphor for our future - i.e., some people don't take the threat of A.I. seriously. The "macho" guy barges in representing the tough reality we face that we escape from through romance, relationships, and movies.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 5 days ago

That's all well and good, and a nice analysis of the movie (though I didn't really get the "tough guy barges in" part), but why are we comparing it to It's a Wonderful Life in the first place?

• My Criteria For Art   3 weeks 5 days ago

I made several lines worth of revisions from the paragraph starting with: "ALL the choices on my lists are a representation of..."

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 5 days ago

Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: Haha, I was wondering that as well :D
    New Slaves: Great track, my favourite from Yeezus.
    Tomorrow Never Knows: Damn right. Not sure what all the Revolver hate is about.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 6 days ago

I don't remember what it's about and wasn't very impressed with it the only time I saw it.

Compare it with The Terminator, which I think is better. The Terminator is a brilliantly genre-aware movie. The assassin is the sci-fi aspect coming alive, our sci-fi imagination becoming a reality, which chases after the artificial reality of art and romance, which are defense mechanisms. The Terminator lacks empathy and in that way is more representative of nature than the humans are, who have constructed romance and "human paradise" to blind them from the terror of life. Humans can be seen as machines themselves. Thus it uses realism as an opponent to the escapism of science fiction. You get more than just the action; the assassin is more than just an evil character. He is a representation of ourselves and what we try to ignore when we watch movies. He also represents a macho bully, who threatens couples and liberal principles. This tough guy barges in, taking advantage of the movie-going audience, and can no longer be written off as just a bully. I find this more impressive and more emotional than a story about life and death, togetherness and separation.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 6 days ago

It's a Wonderful Life is off the list? :(

• Best Rock Albums Ever (according to me)   4 weeks 2 hours ago

"It was [Soft Machine's Third] that awakened most critics to the fact that rock music was not just for dancing: it could make significant artistic contributions on the level of Igor Stravinsky and John Coltrane."

This simply isn't true. During the Beatles' run (1963-70), many critics wrote editorials comparing - and not at all in an unfavorable way - the chords, melodies, and arrangements of the Beatles with those of the Western tradition's great classical composers. The Beatles were one of the groups which made intellectuals begin taking rock music seriously. Critics realized far before Third (1970) that rock music was not just for dancing.

Scaruffi's website is hands-down one of the greatest areas for discovering obscure music, but not a great source when searching for a professional historian's take on rock music; there are many inaccuracies in his Beatles article.

• Favorite Albums of the 2010's   4 weeks 4 hours ago

Hidden - These New Puritans - 2010
    Viscera - Jenny Hval - 2011
    Last - Saintseneca - 2011
    An Awesome Wave - Alt-J - 2012
    Encarnado - Juçara Marçal - 2014
    The Scene Between - The Go! Team - 2015

• 10 Most Influential Rock Artists   4 weeks 14 hours ago

Right you are! If I expand this, they will be in the top 15 for sure. Or even in the top 10, replacing Pixies. I'm not a metalhead either so I'm a little fuzzy about the reach of their influence, but I know they inspired countless metal bands. For example, my favorite metal album at the moment (Sleep's Dopesmoker) is basically Sabbath played in slow motion.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 weeks 21 hours ago

Time to change your vote in the Twin Infinitives vs. Revolver match?

• 10 Most Influential Rock Artists   4 weeks 1 day ago

Nice list, although it's hard to narrow it down to just 10. If we're going by influential, I might even nominate Black Sabbath. I don't even think they're that great of a band, and I'm far from a metalhead, but they basically kickstarted metal. It's a genre that's still going strong today.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   4 weeks 2 days ago

Yeah I really like Deeper, everything Soft Moon has done so far has been really solid.

The closest to IDM is probably that Gagarin album. I found it yesterday and I've really been enjoying it. It feels like something somewhere along the lines of old Aphex Twin or Autechre. The guy who made it is a part of Pere Ubu and played with Nico for a while, so there's that.

Others on here that may or may not fall under the category of IDM but are definitely some form of experimental electronica: Always Offended Never Ashamed, Dead Flesh (awesome side project of on of the members of Fuck Buttons), Hairless Toys, Platform, Dilate

• Music Ratings & Notes   4 weeks 2 days ago

re: the 2000's and 2010's are just as good music-wise as any decade before them...I don't think there should be any doubt about that in anyone's mind. Actually, I've never really thought about which decades were best for music; there's great music still being released and will keep getting released in the future.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   4 weeks 2 days ago

Deeper ... Nice!

Are there any IDM albums on this list? I don't know any of these albums.