• Favorite films in rough order   7 weeks 3 days ago

The first real art film I saw. I didn't and haven't analyzed it whatsoever. It's a super powerful experience.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 3 days ago

Much concureage here! I love the Feelies' debut, just haven't gotten around to assessing it. It's like a missing link between new wave/postpunk and the alt-rock era of REM (whose guitarist produced The Good Earth, which I haven't heard), as was true with the Soft Boys and the Dream Syndicate (and to some extent the dB's). Note that none of them sound anything alike. And the Feelies don't even sound like their neighbors, Yo La Tengo, who I think they influenced. There are SO many ways to spin the VU sound (the Stooges, the Violent Femmes, Bowie, Neu!, the Cars...). In the Feelies case it's like a folky teenage Talking Heads/Modern Lovers mixed with an extra-"lunar"-y Television and some Beatles.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 3 days ago

Marquee Moon might be the most underrated album among rock's certified classics. It's nice to see it getting the recognition it deserves.

I'm very interested to know your thoughts on the Feelies and their position in rock history. Despite sharing the VU influence, their aesthetics share nothing with Sonic Youth and to me their 80's discography sounds as good as the Sonic Youth classics.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 4 days ago

I listened to Scum a couple of years ago, but to be honest I didn't hear it all the way through. I remember it being extremely slow and experimental.

• Favorite films in rough order   7 weeks 5 days ago

Great to see this. Several of my favorites on here. Love seeing the likes of Tarkovsky's Sacrifice well represented. For you, what makes it your #1?

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 6 days ago

Oh gawd yes, that's a pretty disorienting progression too!

WL/WH ---> Daydream Nation would be pretty natural, but with H61 and Horses sandwiched in between, that group would perk some ears up.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 6 days ago

Interesting how "rockist" (and American) my 8.2's are: H61R, White Light/White Heat, Horses, and Daydream Nation make a great guitar/bass/drums chronological primer

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 6 days ago

Ahhh yes!

Daydream Nation is quite a hurdle for most any album to leap over :-)

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 6 days ago

Down a hair, just swapped places with Daydream Nation. The very same nation where this highway is found, mind you.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 6 days ago

Great to see Highway 61 highlighted. Which rating did it move from? Up or down?

• Academy Awards for Best Director   7 weeks 6 days ago

The academy was always clueless about cinema, but at least their picks used to carry some symbolic meaning about the state of the art. They also used to favor (though they failed in many cases) films they predicted would withstand the test of time. Honestly, I can't think of more uninteresting, forgetable movies as those that have been given this award for the last ten years.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   7 weeks 6 days ago

Well, I'm sort of waiting for HumanEmotions to post his votes and some other people (including me) to decide on some pending matches. But you're right, it's been a year.

• Greatest Rock Albums   7 weeks 6 days ago

Probably Fingerspit and Big Shot. That's the part of the "film" where the urban isolation and existential confusion become a crisis. I like what else I've heard from them but I don't think I've checked out Scum because I don't recall an over 20 minute track. What do you think?

• Greatest Rock Albums   8 weeks 8 min ago

What are your favorite tracks on Hex? Also, how do you like their other album and the Scum single?

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   8 weeks 1 hour ago

So... when's the next round starting?

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   8 weeks 3 days ago

The four best from all countries represented by four or more jumpers:

AUSTRIA

THE BEST OF THE REST
    Simon Ammann, SWITZERLAND
    Andreas Küttel, SWITZERLAND
    Dimitry Vassiliev, RUSSIA
    Emmanuel Chedal, FRANCE

• Greatest Scenes/Sequences in Film History (in progress)   8 weeks 3 days ago

Nice, thank you! I think Ive seen all of Lynch's films but still haven't caught that series for some reason. Lynch almost always comes up with extraordinary scenes, so I'm betting I'll agree with you once I watch it.

• Greatest Scenes/Sequences in Film History (in progress)   8 weeks 3 days ago

The ones I know from your list are among the best sequences I remember, and I'm sure the rest are dope to. Gotta start watching Tarkovsky.

One sequence that always gets me is the last 15 minutes of the Twin Peaks series in the Black Lodge. As iconic and mesmerizing as the best moments of Lynch.

• Greatest Scenes/Sequences in Film History (in progress)   8 weeks 4 days ago

Note: I will soon be adding links to images and/or videos (depending on what's available) that will either show the entire scene/sequence or an image of where it starts and where it ends.

• 2015 films ranked   8 weeks 5 days ago

Very good ranking! But I think Avengers deserved a higher rank. :)

• Most Multi-Faceted Films   8 weeks 6 days ago

Definition of "multi-faceted" being applied: "having many aspects or phases". For this list, the rankings are primarily based on how many successfully executed phases of story/theme the film expands into and how multi-faceted is it in expressing such.

• Movies in 2016   9 weeks 1 day ago

Thanking you for your service which provide us list of all books, movies, television, music and all.

• The 70 best ski jumpers from 2010 to today   9 weeks 2 days ago

Jernej Damjan

BEST OF THE REST
    Simon Ammann, Switzerland
    Emmanuel Chedal, France
    Denis Kornilov, Russia
    Dimitry Vassiliev, Russia

• Jonathan Rosenbaum Essential Cinema (+ 2008 and 2016 additions)   9 weeks 3 days ago

In case anyone is still reading this......

I just added the titles Jonathan Rosenbaum added to this list in the newest Korean edition of the book. These are the 60 new titles:

Too Much Johnson (unfinished) (1938), Orson Welles () ()
    Five Graves to Cairo (1943), Billy Wilder () ()
    Obyknovennyy fashizm (1965), Mikhail Romm () ()
    Hawaii (1966), George Roy Hill () ()
    The Wire (2002), several () ()
    Juventude Em Marcha (2006), Pedro Costa (Collected) (Seen)
    Chacun son cinéma ou Ce petit coup au coeur quand la lumière s'éteint et que le film commence (segment "At the Suicide of the Last Jew in the World in the Last Cinema in the World") (2007), David Cronenberg () ()
    My Winnipeg (2007), Guy Maddin () ()
    Er shi si cheng ji (2008), Zhangke Jia () ()
    Les plages d'Agnès (2008), Agnès Varda () ()
    Momma's Man (2008), Azazel Jacobs () ()
    Of Time and the City (2008), Terence Davies () ()
    Helsinki, ikuisesti (2008), Peter von Bagh () ()
    Les herbes folles (2009), Alain Resnais () ()
    The Limits of Control (2009), Jim Jarmusch () ()
    Lowlands (2009), Peter Thompson () ()
    Borgen (2010), several () ()
    Chef d'oeuvre? (2010), Luc Moullet () ()
    Film socialisme (2010), Jean-Luc Godard () ()
    Get Out of the Car (2010), Mark Rappaport () ()
    The Hunter (2010), Rafi Pitts () ()
    Mistérios de Lisboa (2010), Raoul Ruiz (Collected) (Seen)
    Shi (2010), Chang-dong Lee () ()
    Toujours moins (2010), Luc Moullet () ()
    Loong Boonmee raleuk chat (2010), Apichatpong Weerasethakul (Collected) (Seen)
    Vapor Trail (Clark) (2010), John Gianvito () ()
    Copie conforme (2010), Abbas Kiarostami (Collected) (Seen)
    Impardonnables (2011), André Téchiné () ()
    Margaret (2011), Kenneth Lonergan () ()
    Nightfall (2012), James Benning () ()
    Le quattro volte (2010), Michelangelo Frammartino () ()
    Road to Nowhere (2010), Monte Hellman () ()
    Terri (2011), Azazel Jacobs () ()
    Bernie (2011), Richard Linklater () ()
    The Forgotten Space (2010), Noël Burch + Allan Sekula () ()
    Hannah Arendt (2012), Margarethe von Trotta () ()
    Holy Motors (2012), Leos Carax (Collected) (Seen)
    Stories We Tell (2012), Sarah Polley () ()
    A torinói ló (2011), Bela Tarr (Collected) (Seen)
    The Unspeakable Act (2012), Dan Sallitt () ()
    Vous n'avez encore rien vu (2012), Alain Resnais () ()
    Coming to Terms (2013), Jon Jost () ()
    Gloria (2013), Sebastián Lelio () ()
    Locke (2013), Steven Knight () ()
    Man Made Place (2012), Yu-Shen Su () ()
    Museum Hours (2012), Jem Cohen (Collected) (Seen)
    Adieu au langage (2014), Jean-Luc Godard () ()
    Citizenfour (2014), Laura Poitras (Collected) (Seen)
    Xi you (2014), Ming-liang Tsai () ()
    The Owners (2014), Adilkhan Yerzhanov () ()
    Pasolini (2014), Abel Ferrara () ()
    Words and Pictures (2013), Fred Schepisi () ()
    Ex Machina (2015), Alex Garland () ()
    Cavalo Dinheiro (2014), Pedro Costa () ()
    I, Dalio (2015), Mark Rappaport () ()
    No Home Movie (2015), Chantal Akerman () ()
    Saul fia (2015), Laszlo Nemes () (Seen)
    The Thoughts That Once We Had (2015), Thom Andersen () ()
    Today (2014), Seyyed Reza Mir-Karimi () ()
    Wake: Subic (2015), ? () ()

Now my count is this:

Collected: 1060/1140
    Seen: 1061/1140
    (I've seen Saul Fia in cinema, but it's not in my collection)

I guess I've got some work to do......

• Greatest Post-Punk Songs   9 weeks 3 days ago

It's been a while since I last listened to it and I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing in one sitting either. But it's a fun album. I wouldn't call Sandinista post-punk, more like a pop punk album that flirts with a lot of different styles, occasionaly producing great catchy songs (Police on my Back, Charlie Don't Surf, etc.). I've been trying to avoid catchiness on this list, though.

Listening to it now, 'Ivan Meets GI Joe' could actually be on this list.