• Favorite Music   1 week 2 days ago

I've never been sold on White Light / White Heat: "The Gift" and "Lady Godiva" strike me as being almost novelty-like, the title track and "I Heard Her Call My Name" are inoffensive but don't move me in any particular way, "Here She Comes Now" is fine, if slight, and "Sister Ray" is a great track, but I'm rarely compelled to listen to it. I think that brings me closer to my issue with the album: replay value. It's just not there for me.

I do, however, like both Loaded and The Velvet Underground a lot, especially the latter. I find them to be very different: Loaded is a heavy dose of rock, while the self-titled is more melodic, fragile and low-key, if that makes much sense. Although neither mean as much to me as & Nico I do think they're very good albums. I also remember liking VU, but I've hardly heard it and can't say much. Given you rank WL/WH as your second favourite album it's safe to say this doesn't quite square with your perspective!

• Favorite Music   1 week 2 days ago

What's your opinion of The Velvet Underground's albums besides "& Nico"?

• Movie Log, 2012-2014   1 week 2 days ago

Sounds VERY intriguing. I like that title "drone cinema" and Tarr is among my favorite filmmakers (Satantango and Werckmeister Harmonies two of the peaks of the last 20 years of cinema).

Also, btw, very cool to see that you saw Marketa Lazarova. I too was stunned by its haunting beauty. Definitely the best "new" film I saw this year.

• My Top Ten Favorite Action-Adventure Movies   1 week 3 days ago

Excellent blog post! thank you so much for sharing
    this on us, I really enjoyed reading all your articles
    here. I'm looking forward to see more articles.
    Once again thank you and keep up the good work.
    buy low cost soundcloud plays

• Top Ten Over-Rated Albums Which Have No Place On Any List Except This One   1 week 3 days ago

Hahaha well I wrote it fast.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 3 days ago

It's a compilation, but No New York is essential as well.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 3 days ago

Oh yea Im familiar with her. She's great on Bad Moon Rising. Didn't realize she was part of the Teenage Jesus band.

That's okay. To each his own.
    I don't really get the order of this list, though. If you would switch no.3 and no.8 around it would make more sense I think. But maybe that's just me.

Oooh. Overlong, bulbous and tapered! Nice! Sorry it's a fav of yours. I just don't get it.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time: The Immortals   1 week 3 days ago

Yes. "Roxy Music"...no Billy Joel. Gross.

Fast 'n' bulbous! :D

It's not just a full-length LP actually; it was originally a double LP. So it isn't just ridiculous go-nowhere trash; it's also overlong. And it's also one of my favourite albums ever made.

Bulbous also tapered.

Yes. Bob Dylan is #2. He should be #1.

Haha. Yes, I suppose I should.

You should write a book about this

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 3 days ago

Maybe you've heard of Teenage Jesus and the Jerks's vocalist Lydia Lunch? She has a great vocal performance on the Sonic Youth song Death Valley 69, from Bad Moon Rising.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 3 days ago

Ok, no problem, thanks! I'll put those up there. I am already wondering what other covers the Langley project produced. And I'm curious about the Teenage Jesus and the Jerks one -- never even heard of 'em.

• Rock : The Most Influential Artists   1 week 3 days ago

Thanks. Their influence, as you said, is obvious. Even experimental composers like Can's Holger Czukay and Robert Fripp have cited them as a big influence.

The Sex Pistols started punk's social revolution while Ramones invented punk music. Ramones probably had more direct musical impact (they even influenced the Pisols!). The social impact of Never Mind the Bollocks was way above Ramones (or any other punk album) but fewer bands drew inspiration from the Pistols' musical style. This sucks, of course. Their music is fucking epic.

I like both Pixies and Pere Ubu. Despite their shared characteristics (quirky music, psychotic vocalists, punk roots) they don't sound similar to me. Pixies had deep interest in hard rock (and pop in general) while Pere Ubu were into free jazz (and avantgarde in general). Pixies are way more popular and there are traces of their explosive quiet-loud-quiet dynamics, intense guitar playing and off-key vocals/lyrics everywhere: Nirvana, Modest Mouse, Radiohead, Pavement, Weezer, Strokes, ...

I'm curious, do you like Pixies at all? :D

• Greatest Vocal Performances (Full Album) [Rock/Jazz/Avant-Garde]   1 week 4 days ago

Check this out. A 'beautiful' cover of Buckley's Jungle Fire.

It's got to be a pastiche right? Although we all probably sound this bad when trying to sing to much of Buckley's work haha.

• Movie Log, 2012-2014   1 week 4 days ago

I'm sure I can't do it justice. Fans of Béla Tarr or drone music would probably appreciate it. I think "drone cinema" is an apt tag, but it's an acquired taste.

Michael Glawogger is the only other non-fiction filmmaker I know of who is working along simiar lines, ableit in a more convential manner. Workingman's Death has a similar hypnotic effect, but Leviathan's camera work is totally unique. It would be literally impossible to make this film years 15-20 ago.

It was filmed on a commercial fishing vessel with a number of tiny waterproof digital cameras. There's no dialog, narrative or score. It feels like an documentry from an alien world, filmed from the perspective of dead fish, birds, the ocean and the vessel itself. The humans are only a vague abstraction.

• Stretch Corleone's Album Listening Log 2014   1 week 4 days ago

There is also a lot of great instrumental hip hop out there. One album I think you might appreciate is DJ Shadow's Endtroducing..., from 1996. I did a review of it on my Instagram page a little over a week ago:

Entroducing..., the groundbreaking debut studio album from Northern California-based DJ, producer and record hoarder DJ Shadow, celebrated its 18th anniversary a couple weeks ago. This joint took sampling to a whole new level, being the very first full-length album to be comprised of nothing but samples (remarkably using very little equipment at that, in particular the Akai MPC60 sampler, sequencer and drum machine). Highly experimental, abstract, moody and diverse, this is a landmark release bridging the gap between instrumental hip hop and the fusion genre known as trip-hop. Absorbing, analyzing and appreciating the layers upon layers of painstaking sampling detail involved in the creation of this record is no easy task, but that's not a bad thing; with each listen you're virtually guaranteed to focus your attention on something new every time. If you can appreciate true musical depth and diversity, I invite you to give Endtroducing... a listen, and then another one, and another, and another and so on until you no longer need any further encouragement to do so.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

The Langley Schools Music Project - Innocence & Despair
    I recommended this group to you earlier, but I'm be curious what rating you would give the whole album. The last time I listened to it, it seemed like an 8 to me, but I've also had it a lot lower.

Teenage Jesus and the Jerks - Everything
    This early no wave group has made some of the most uncompromising music that I know of. Despite its title, Everything by Teenage Jesus and the Jerks is not everything by Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, but this might be the release that works best as an album. For a more complete collection, Shut Up And Bleed is the one to get. This live performance by them might also be interesting to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdKx2U1k1E (it starts at 2:29.)

Also, I second TiggaTrigga's Kanye West recommendations; I recently got those exact 2 albums and they're great.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 4 days ago

Oh my gosh, I've been wondering the same for ages! And now it somehow crossed my mind again and this time I was able to find it, this feeling.. It's largely thanks to your question, so thank you :'3 All I could remember was the part with the forbidden door and black smoke invading some kingdom.. And something about Flip, but I couldn't remember what he looked like. No one I know remembered anything about it, so I also wondered if it was a dream of mine.. but I was pretty sure it wasn't, and now I know for sure. The reason I even remembered that movie was probably that I kept fearing that black smoke when going to sleep for a long time

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   1 week 5 days ago

Update #19(ish) - 7 Dec [341] days
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 2 films/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 2 films/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    01. (01) mightysparks 594 (7)
    02. (02) tom_elce 553 (0)
    03. (03) Ultimo Lee 341 (19)
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 1 film/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 1 film/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    04. (04) loonapick 315 (7)
    05. (06) dashforcover 297 (14)
    06. (05) Tatum 290 (6)
    07. (07) Puzzgal 265 (13)
    08. (08) mamushka 221 (13)
    09. (09) LukeRobot 186 (10)
    10. (10) Laivaren 176 (14)
    11. (13) guardianryoga 160 (10)
    12. (11) danvers 158 (6)
    13 (12) julesyoung 157 (6)
    14. (14) skullduggerish 138 (2)
    15. (15) mattmakins 136 (8)
    16. (16) bpchicky 102 (0)
    17. (17) nyybella 101 (6)
    18. (18) kaplan 89 (0)
    19. (19) Lendoxia 88 (1)
    20. (21) kgracetasticsake 79 (9)
    21. (20) AJDaGreat 77 (6)
    22. (23) hinterland 62 (8)
    23. (22) nukualofa 60 (4)
    24. (24) alberkin 28 (0)
    25. (25) aaliyah16 19 (0)

Next update: About December 14th-ish

2013 edition
    2015 edition

Congratulations to Ultimo Lee for moving back into the group seeing 1 or more films per day! Other changes include dashforcover claiming 5th place over Tatum, guardianryoga climbing 2 spots to 11th passing julesyoung and danvers, kgracetasticsake passed AJDaGreat capturing 20th and hinterland taking 22nd from nukualofa. The group, as a whole, logged 169 films since the last update. We still miss you, kaplan.

• Movies Seen 2014   1 week 5 days ago

Hi alberkin,

In case you are still interested, the Listology Scoreboard is again being regularly updated. Also, the 2015 edition is planned and we're "taking names" for those who are interested in continuing.

• Movie Log 2014   1 week 5 days ago