• Best American Idol / X-Factor / TV Talent Show Performances (Music Only)   3 weeks 5 days ago

I think this is a very good idea actually; honestly, I wish you good luck with finding more great performances :)

If you're looking for good 1D songs, Kiss You is pretty decent actually. Not sure if even that has much emotional depth though, haha. And Britney Spears...umm, Toxic?

I haven't heard anything from Ariana Grande so as far as I'm concerned she might as well have already made a masterpiece on the level of Twin Infinitives ;)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 5 days ago

Yerself is Steam is "Visual Art"? Are you talking about the album cover here?

Hmm, it is a nice album cover I guess XP

Also, Ella Henderson's rendition of "Believe" is way better than Cher's original...

Haha :) Unfortunately for them, I do have a cut-off point of quality and I am actually trying to put together a decent list. These selections really aren't supposed to be a joke (though I am also well aware of the offbeat/comedic factor in me putting together such a list) and they're all pretty damn good (based purely on "talent", they're much better than "pretty good"). Really, my #1 on here is 7/10+ with a shot at being added to my 7.3+ "best songs" list. And I'm guessing I'll probably find some more candidates ... but maybe not -- that is, after all, quite an extraordinary My Funny Valentine performance and will be tough to match/beat. Naturally, it doesn't appear on any "best of X Factor" youtube collections I've seen so far ;-) I'd love to include 1D (if anything, just for the dichotomy of it all). Who knows? Maybe I'll come across one where they nail a song with some real emotional depth. I would love that, I really would. I've long hoped that one day, all of a sudden, Celine Dion or Britney Spears -- or whoever is the latest pop princess -- Ariana Grande? Yes, her!!! Like I was saying, I've long hoped that Ariana Grande goes all Meredith Monk on us, and creates a masterpiece worthy of addition to my 8.8/10+ list! Or, better, she sticks with her R & B/pop hooks and does something extraordinary with it that changes our entire perception of the genre, rates a 9.1/10, and I get to line it up right next to Twin Infinitives!

That's nice. I think I might revisit Loveless (along with Isn't Anything) sometime soon as well.

Dude.....you gotta get 1D on this list ;)

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   3 weeks 5 days ago

Maybe... :) I find most Hitchcock films more emotionally/psychologically revealing, "perverse games" between the director and his actors/audience than being particularly haunting/nightmarish -- albeit that in itself is, to a degree, "haunting/nightmarish" ... (and it doesn't mean many of them don't have their moments. The Birds, as you mentioned, being a very good example).

But really, I need to revise this list. Inland Empire and Eraserhead are probably 1 and 2 (though I do need to rewatch Inland Empire), but after that, it's a bit of a free for all.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 6 days ago

Yep :) I'm not sure what I think of it yet, and I haven't decided on the rating. As I type I am revisiting Loveless, then I'll revisit Tremelo and rate it -- maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   3 weeks 6 days ago

The Birds!

Hey, you finally listened to Tremolo! Cool :P

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   4 weeks 9 hours ago

No, I didn't know that. Thank you, I don't believe I've read any of his insights into Piero yet, or Carravaggio.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   4 weeks 9 hours ago

Yea, the potential... kind of similar to Mozart dying so young. Also, Michelangelo studied those works in preparation for the Sistine Chapel, and it shows.

• Media Log 2014   4 weeks 15 hours ago

Not sure, maybe Malick's Badlands or Peckinpah's Ballad of Cable Hogue. Also Altman's McCabe and Mrs Miller might be a good bet (though that's very possibly reserved as Songs of Leonard Cohen's equiv) ... Jarmuch's Dead Man? ... Wenders' Paris Texas? ... Bogdanovich's Last Picture Show ... each of those have elements ... it's also possible it's a film I haven't seen yet -- providing any "equivalents" exist for that one in the first place.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   4 weeks 17 hours ago

If you love the art of Piero i heartily suggest you to buy "Piero della Francesca" a volume written by the great Roberto Longhi, the most eminent critic of the last century.
    Roberto Longhi was not only an art critic but a poet. Do you know that he rediscovered Caravaggio after the centuries of neglect?

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   4 weeks 17 hours ago

Yeah, it's interesting to notice the dichomoty between Masaccio's fantastic sense of perspective and the volume of his bodies against Masolino's old style of painting. Two different worlds in one chapel. Masaccio's death is maybe the most tragic early departure among the giant masters of the renaissance period.
    In only 27 years of life he contributed (along with Brunelleschi and Donatello) to create a new world for art. And his works are not only revolutionary but masterpieces by themselves. Imagine what he could have done if the fate would have allowed him to live till 50yo.
    In his twenties he was already considered a new Giotto. Just imagine...

• Media Log 2014   4 weeks 19 hours ago

Well, I love So What and Flamenco Sketches but the rest of the album hasn't grabbed me to that extent yet. The subtle progression in emotional content through the course of the album is quite interesting but I need to listen to it more.

Also, 7.7 isn't a very low rating at all.

• Media Log 2014   4 weeks 21 hours ago

I'm curious ... why the rather low rating for Kind of Blue?

• Media Log 2014   4 weeks 22 hours ago

Thanks again. Btw, I'm curious which films you would consider the equivalent to Charm of the Highway Strip.

• Paintings to See   4 weeks 2 days ago

Nope, I'm from the US, though for various forms of art, I certainly wish I was European (or lived there).

• 10 Paintings and others   4 weeks 2 days ago

I see what you mean. In several cases it's taken me quite a bit of searching to find large enough, high quality images, but I almost always eventually track them down. And there can be no doubt that the internet/books are an indispensable source of seeing these works, and that the image quality in general has increased A LOT in the last few years.

All four of those are great works. Triumph of Death would be my top choice out of those, though I'd be pleased with any of them.

• Paintings to See   4 weeks 2 days ago

I doubt I'll see all of them. I don't even know where they all are but I should see the ones in the big cities of Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands. What can happen though is a painting has been temporarily moved or being restored when you visit. That happened with Bruegel's The Hunters in the Snow so I'll visit Austria again to see it. Where are you from? Not Europe i'm guessing.

• My Favorite Music   4 weeks 2 days ago

2014-09-04: 050 accounts, 01 comments, 01 pages
    2014-09-03: 057 accounts
    2014-09-02: 052 accounts, 02 comments, 02 pages
    2014-09-01: 049 accounts
    2014-09-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   4 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks, I agree that is a great scene. Very representative of his quiet, serene sense of humanity (and of course, harmony/symmetry). The Cappella Brancacci is indeed amazing and I have it as one of my highest priorities to re-evaluate soon.

• Media Log 2014   4 weeks 3 days ago

And, out of all those, I'd say Europa, Double Indemnity, Point Blank and Manchurian Candidate are probably the four most likely ones for Morphine's Good.