• Favorite Music   3 weeks 5 days ago

Honestly, I don‘t remember. I‘m more familiar with Wowee Zowee (awesome album). I have listened to Summer Babe over and over in the past few weeks but not many other Slanted and Enchanted songs (though that‘s about to change very soon)

• My Favorite Albums (8.3+/10)   3 weeks 5 days ago

Listen to Space Ritual by Hawkwind.

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   3 weeks 6 days ago

NOTE: I'll update my paintings (images) lists once I've made a full round through re-analyzing all the 8.8+ works (soon). For now, I'm just updating the text (non-image) paintings list. So, once I've got that settled...

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 6 days ago

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   4 weeks 8 hours ago

Not a bad idea, but I doubt I'll do that... or, if I ever do, it would be a much later project.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   4 weeks 8 hours ago

hi. seeking an animation for a long time.
    the STORY IS AMAZING:
    about a guy (or a robot, not sure) who wakes up every morning hearing "go to work", he exits to play cello and you notice everyday is God talking to him, building the world, the plants rise, the animals show, etc...
    every morning he looks to a window and notices a female. after the 7th day everything is done and you notice "God forgot about love"...

can anyone HELP me find this? thanks in advance...

• Favorite Movies   4 weeks 11 hours ago

I enjoyed the atmosphere but I'm not sure why you and AfterHours consider it a masterpiece. It might grow on me on future viewings however.

• Rock : The Greatest Albums   4 weeks 12 hours ago

Sorry, I don't have any prog and metal suggestions yet :/

Nice to see Fun House went as far up as #2. I've only recently realized how great that album is.

• Favorite Music   4 weeks 12 hours ago

Which other tracks on the album did you particularly like?

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   4 weeks 19 hours ago

That's okay.

(Also, how about adding films in the 6.8-7.2 range to your decade lists?)

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   4 weeks 1 day ago

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have been trying to identify an animated movie I saw back in the 80's when I was a kid. I only watched the beginning and the end. I'm not even sure if it is Japanese or American...
    It starts with a spaceship following a sword through space (it's not Starchaser). There are about three people on board: a couple of aliens and a human I think. The human is sitting at his station upside down on the ceiling (strange artificial gravity perhaps?)They are discussing the sword when it suddenly disappears into space. It lands in a desert on some planet somewhere where it gets picked up by a boy and a girl. They are then chased across the desert on hoverboards by a couple of strange robots. They chase the kids on foot and can run very fast. They are slim and dark green. There was a slow motion shot of one of the 'bots tumbling over a cliff. I think they also have the ability to transform themselves into globes that hang in the air. After the chase the kids meet up with the people in the spaceship. All I remember about the end is a strange pink light that slowly spreads across an entire planet...

This film has nagged at me for the last thirty years and I eternally regret that I never saw the whole film in it's entirety. It seems to be very obscure as I cannot find a single hint or clue anywhere on the web. I know it existed because my sister saw it as well although she can remember anymore about it than I can. I would therefore be EXTREMELY grateful if ANYONE can identify it for me. Can anyone help me solve this mystery?

• Films seen in 2014   4 weeks 2 days ago

:-) Hi Kaplan!
    Yeah, thanks for asking.
    But I still don't make a difference between shorts, made-for-TV-stuff, mini-series and feature-length films, so this would be too much of an extra effort for me, as I'm currently happy if I even find the time to update this list for my own purposes.
    So I guess till there's a change of rules, I'm permanently out. :-(

• Greatest Albums Extended List [rated 7.8/10+] (in progress)   4 weeks 3 days ago

I've thought about it. It's a matter of taking the time to go back and figure out all the albums I've heard between 7.3-7.7 and then giving them an exact rating. I will probably start putting it together once I've heard a bit more of the 7.8+ ones.

Any plans to extend this to include all 7.3+ albums, like the Greatest Films list?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   5 weeks 1 day ago

~2 weeks since the last update. McJoJo has been left in.

(12 Aug)(224 days)

=======⥣⥣⥣ > 2 films/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 2 films/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    1.(1) tom_elce 443 (8)
    2.(2) mightysparks 331 (0)
    3.(3) loonapick 250 (8)
    =======⥣⥣⥣ > 1 film/day ⥣⥣⥣=======
    =======⥥⥥⥥ < 1 film/day ⥥⥥⥥=======
    4. (5) dashforcover 210 (14)
    5. (4) Tatum 207 (5)
    6. (7) Ultimo Lee 202 (17)
    7. (6) Puzzgal 194 (0)
    8. (8) mamushka 141 (6)
    9. (9) julesyoung 128 (2)
    10. (10) McJoJo 118 (0)***RESIGNED***
    11. (12) skullduggerish 114 (5)
    12. (13) danvers 113 (5)
    12. (14) guardianryoga 113 (10)
    14. (11) Laivaren 112(0)
    15. (16) LukeRobot 104 (8)
    16. (15) bpchicky 102 (0)
    17. (18) mattmakins 95 (7)
    18. (17) kaplan 89 (0)
    19. (19) nyybella 85 (7)
    20. (20) Lendoxia 63 (4)
    21. (21) hinterland 48 (5)
    21. (22) kgracetasticsake 48 (6)
    23. (24) nukualofa 32 (3)
    24. (23) AJDaGreat 31 (0)
    25. (25) alberkin 24 (0)
    26. (26) aaliyah16 14 (2)

At the moment there are two ties (the 12th & 21st spots.) Spots 11-14 are highly contested.

• Best Paranormal Romance Novels Right Now!   5 weeks 1 day ago
  • Jonathan Rosenbaum Essential Cinema (+ 2008 addition)   5 weeks 1 day ago

After a break of almost a year, when I was watching other stuff (mainly Unesco's National Cinematic Heritage), I'm finally watching a lot of Rosenbaum again. I expect to have seen all available titles before the end of this year.

Seen: 939/1080

• Rock : The Most Underrecognized Albums   5 weeks 2 days ago

I would say La question is Francoise Hardy's best album. Regarding Gainsbourg: Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin is really only known for "Je t'aime moi non plus," when there are several other good songs on it too. So far, I'm not quite as impressed with Bashung's work, but Fantaisie militaire probably deserves more appreciation.

There's a far-better known French group called Air (http://www.scaruffi.com/vol6/air.html), but I haven't really listened to them much yet.

Scaruffi doesn't have a ratings system for most French rock artists, but he may like Francoise Hardy more than several other female French singers, because he has noted that Hardy was the first to write her own songs. I actually think he's rather dismissive of Serge Gainsbourg; he believes Histoire de Melody Nelson is overrated, but it was a key influence on trip-hop and American artists like Beck.

• Most Invigorating Films (in progress)   5 weeks 3 days ago

It might be above White Album but the first 2 are clearly their best albums imo.

Re: GBH ... nice, thanks, I'll have to catch up on Wes Anderson -- been awhile since I've seen one of his. Based on the reviews, it seems like he's still going pretty strong.

• My Amazing, Blasphemous, Imaginary Beatles Album   5 weeks 3 days ago

Nice, that works too

• My Amazing, Blasphemous, Imaginary Beatles Album   5 weeks 3 days ago

I gotta make a playlist of that! I made one myself as well:

1. Magical Mystery Tour
    2. Penny Lane
    3. Strawberry Fields Forever
    4. Blue Jay Way
    5. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    6. Flying
    7. The Fool on the Hill
    8. Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite!
    9. Fixing a Hole
    10. I Am the Walrus
    11. Within You Without You
    12. Hello Goodbye
    13. A Day in the Life

I made this with the intention to make a Beatles album as psychedelic as possible, which is why there's much more MMT than Sgt Pepper.

• Most Invigorating Films (in progress)   5 weeks 3 days ago

Nice, though I'm kind of surprised you rank MMT so low. I don't listen to the Beatles much nowadays, but recent listens to the original Magical Mystery Tour EP revealed somewhat unexpectedly that the title track and Blue Jay Way are growers. In fact, I'm starting to think the title track of MMT is better than that of Sgt. Pepper!

GBH is the most suited for this list from the Wes Anderson films I've seen I think.

• Most Invigorating Films (in progress)   5 weeks 3 days ago

Abbey Rd, Sgt Pepper, White Album, Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver, Rubber Soul and everything else.

Yep, Royal T sounds right. Thanks, I heard GBH was excellent too.

• Songs about Texas and/or its cities   5 weeks 3 days ago

I've looked all these over several times and I haven't seen anybody mention one that I used to sing all the time in the 70's and 80's, "Hello Texas" by Jimmy Buffet.

• Piero Scaruffi's Top Albums - Ones I've Collected   5 weeks 3 days ago

Popol Vuh's In Den Garten Pharaos is one the very best albums I've ever heard. Their Aguirre (particularly the first half) is magnificent as well.

I discovered Soft Boys' Underwater Moonlight through his 8.5's and I gotta say it's up there with Pet Sounds and Crazy Rhythms in the top 3 pop rock albums ever.