• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   3 weeks 1 hour ago

Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts!

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   3 weeks 2 hours ago

I liked Nostalghia a lot and Mirror (along with Stalker and Sacrifice) is among the films I'm planning to watch soon, so yeah I'm excited :D

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   3 weeks 8 hours ago

Thanks :) Ive considered checking out Spring Breakers!

Probably the closest older brother to Tree of Life is Tarkovsky's Mirror, which I strongly recommend checking out if you haven't already.

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   3 weeks 10 hours ago

It's truly a breathtaking, transcendent film; self-indulgent but in a consistently fascinating way. It's interesting how Malick takes a generic drama and transforms it into a flowing dream that seems to encompass all of life itself. It's one of those films which really teaches you new ways of thinking, new ways of experiencing life.

Speaking of which, Spring Breakers is a must-watch; about as different from Tree of Life as you can get, but Korine uses some of the same techniques as Malick to great effect.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 22 hours ago

Rosemary's Baby is about moving between cultures and our resistance to it. We think of members of the extremely different culture as demons and witches. We go into a horror movie expecting to be scared; we are ready for our fears (our culture's fears) in life to be enabled. The villain of a horror movie is meant to be obvious - we are ready to see them - but who the villain is depends on which side you are on. The movie subverts the genre by bringing together characters we have the most sympathy for (babies, mothers, couples, families) and characters whose nature causes them to disrupt the harmony, necessarily without our consent, just as our upbringing of babies is without their consent. The couple's moving in establishes our fear of the unknown: this new place can't necessarily be trusted. The horror of the film is based on the premise that anything that disrupts the harmony of the beginning scenes must be horrible. Once you set something up, it can't be knocked down. By being a film, it prompts us to be on the side of the protagonist, especially since it is a pregnant mother. Her baby is a symbol of the ambiguity of art and life: in the course of the movie she goes from being human to being satanic and then back to being "human" when Rosemary accepts her. This ambiguity is spiritual whereas the initial fear is arrogant. And the baby symbolizes the endless repetition of history, the fear being the mechanism against change, the baby being the victim inside of us. The shots from the sky in the opening sequence and the end carry both a macabre air and an enlightened possibility. Right at the end of the fear is hope.

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   3 weeks 1 day ago

Glad you were blown away by Tree of Life!

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

Not really true in some cases (though thankfully it is in the case of Yeezus for one).

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

Haha, I guess it's hard not to be overrated when you're as egotistical as Yeezy. I totally agree with you about MBDTF, never really understood the praise that album got. It doesn't really come into it's own as an album until about the midway point.

I see where you're coming from. In fact, I probably would have liked the album a lot more if I hadn't felt like I'd already heard a lot of it before from other groups already. Be sure to check out Clipping and Run the Jewels/Killer Mike too for more of this.

• Top Movies (in tiers)   3 weeks 1 day ago

Thank you, sounds like they have potential and are maybe even historically significant. Im not a fan of unnecessary animal killings either, so hopefully that's not too much of a detraction towards the overall quality.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

But the Scaruffiddles are a tiny minority with no permanent effect on anything.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

All of Kanye's output is overrated. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, for example, is overrated as hell. So is The College Dropout. Yeezus is the only exception for me. Still, this album's overrated too. Kinda like the way, say, Trout Mask Replica is overrated.

I haven't heard Death Grips (I know, I know... I'm downloading their albums right now). That aside, to be honest, Yeezus just works for me on so many levels. So much that I can't get enough of it. I love the whole thing, the whole sequence of compositions and the way they relate to each other, and I think it's a mark of genius that he can create a context that enables him to use all his limitations (childish lyrics, limited rapping skills, ego the size of a truck, ...) to his benefit. The music gives the whole thing so much depth that simple ridiculous lines like Bitch I'm back out my coma become epic. There are too many great moments on this album to count, and it feels transgressive, creative, surprising, honest. I think the brilliant compositions on this album are as far from conventional rap/industrial/electronic music as possible. On top of that, he didn't try the slightest bit not to sound repulsive. There's magic happening on this album. Hope he can keep it up with SWISH.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

I have no idea what the outro's purpose is and it's not an idea that makes sense but it sounds really awesome anyway.

I've seen that before, it's pretty good.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

On the other hand it's also underrated by all the Scaruffites who hate it.

• Top Movies (in tiers)   3 weeks 1 day ago

I've literally seen like five movies in the last three months, I really need to get back into it.

I haven't seen that Goodbye Uncle Tom in years and years, but it was a very graphic and powerful fake documentary on American slavery. I doubt it'll stay that high after a rewatch. Africa Addios was more of the same, except based on how Africa was struggling to advance after the Europeans left. Both directors are exquisite photographers, and both movies are over the top in sensationalism (Africa Addios has a LOT of animal killings, which I did not like). I think they'd be something you personally may either love or hate, but I find the bombast, arrogance and mixing of fake and real interesting.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

This is just me, but I feel like Yeezus was a bit overrated. It felt a bit like Kanye was trying to jump on the industrial-rap bandwagon that some other groups like Death Grips paved the way for. Not a bad album by any means (I really like Black Skinhead, probably one of his best singles), just not the revolutionary album Kanye would want you to believe.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

I played New Slaves every day for the last week, and this week it was the very first song I heard. I'm obsessed with it. By now I think I can even recite the lyrics from memory (Fuck you and your corporation / Y'all niggas can't control me). How about that pitched-up vocal solo? How about that outro? I think I'm in love with that outro.

Anyway, Lou Reed (of all people) wrote this review about Yeezus soon after it was released. It might be the best one I've read.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 1 day ago

My opinion is that Tarkovsky probably liked it because it transcended previous films in that it was simultaneously a fully fledged Horror/Suspense film, a fully-fledged Action film, and a fully-fledged convincing Sci-Fi film -- taking its action and horror/suspense to peaks of intensity that was superior to much of what had come before in cinema (and still to this day). Visually, he probably appreciated the dark, noir atmosphere (recalling certain aspects of Blade Runner), and particularly the visions of the future which are modern updates to the German Expressionist visions such as those by Murnau and Lang from the silent film era.

• Top Movies (in tiers)   3 weeks 1 day ago

I like how you've extended this. The Jacopetti/Prosperi ones are new to me. How would you describe them?

• Favorite Films in Rough Order   3 weeks 1 day ago

I like this list too. I dig how vibrant your choices are :)

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 1 day ago

Update 23

We had several changes this time. Ultimo Lee snags 6th, mamushka reclaimed 8th, nukualofa joined danvers at 13th (my we have a lot of action aroung slot 13), and LukeRobot bypassed Tatum claiming a solo spot at 16th Good jobs all.

As a group we logged only 95 movies snce the last update for a total of 4322 films. This is the first time we have been under 100. Obviously the activities of summer are taking their proper place in the halcyon days of late summer. For the next update on 16 August, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 228 and 456, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 2 days ago

In my view the disdain for women in Nostalghia isn't a genre thing at all, but just disdain for women. I know Rosenbaum says Tarkovsky's "sexual politics are Neanderthal".

Tangentially re: Tarkovsky liking The Terminator; the one that always puzzled me was Bresson's love for For Your Eyes Only.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 2 days ago

Some aspects of his work suggest that he would've liked Terminator. For example the disdain for the woman in Nostalghia is a form of stepping on romance (and art). Many of his characters are progressive and virtually become violent for their causes (for the future). The Terminator can be seen as a symbol of the intellectual who lives outside of pop culture: he walks toward pop culture but is suppressed on his way there, as fate would have it. Stalker (a sci-fi film of his) and The Sacrifice have similarities too. The title of Stalker isn't an indication of those similarities though. it means something different in the movie.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 2 days ago

Looking at those quotes again, I guess they aren't that strongly related as I'd supposed. By the way, I do understand your interpretation (though it's true generally that sometimes you have a way of explaining things that makes them seem more difficult to understand) I'm still kinda curious as to what a more detailed review from Tarkovsky would have looked like; he doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who'd like it.

I haven't watched it in a long time either. Perhaps rewatch it? Maybe it will turn out to be good in a different way from the first one.

• Favorite movies   3 weeks 3 days ago

He doesn't elaborate so, even though I agree, what he says in that quote is too simple to strongly relate to what I said. It seems you don't understand my interpretation. If that is the case it's partly my fault because I'm not that good at explaining myself. I think I saw Terminator 2 when I was younger. I don't remember it but don't think it is as good because everything that is important about the relationship between the Terminator and the humans is fleshed out in the first movie.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 weeks 3 days ago

Nice, thank you, I wouldn't be surprised :-)