• Favorite albums of 2015 (so far)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Yes, minimal Swans is an excellent comparison. I'll check out Little Joy, thanks.

• Favorite albums of 2015 (so far)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Looks like we agree. Divers is my favorite and perhaps Time as a Symptom would come in second or Pin Light Bent. Same Old Man is one of her best short songs also.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks, I like what Ive read from Reynolds. And your comparison with that song to Hex is pinpoint!

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 6 days ago

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is very impressive and progressive in the context of mainstream music. Yeezus goes beyond that. I see it an artistic leap and a much more daring and honest statement that will become iconic a couple of decades from now. The difference between the two albums is kind of similar to the difference between Safe as Milk and Trout Mask Replica.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

oh dear, I need to get my game up if I want to stay in the 1 movie a day. I have been watching way too many TV shows and reading way too many books. My movie watching is suffering!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

Well dang! That was fun to write. I've fixed it. Our corrected totals for films logged this time and the running total are:
    Logged: 112
    Overall total: 5886

I'm glad I do all this in a spreadsheet. Makes updates pretty easy.

• Favorite albums of 2015 (so far)   2 weeks 6 days ago

I think rather than any individual song I like various little moments and lyrics scattered throughout the album that give it character. Perhaps Divers of Time, As a Symptom. It's such a rich recording that I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate new things on future listens.

• Favorite albums of 2015 (so far)   2 weeks 6 days ago

With Severe it feels like they took the raw, minimal aesthetic of Swans and somehow managed to make it even more minimal. Don't forget to check out their 2011 album Little Joy. It's quite good as well. I have high hopes for future albums from these guys.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 6 days ago

I don't know much about hip hop either, but that title might be pushing it. Out of what I've heard, I rate Fear of a Black Planet, Illmatic, The Black Album, Yeezus and a few others higher. On the other hand To Pimp a Butterfly is still growing on me. "I remember you was conflicted..."

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the enthusiasm, but the fact is: there was a problem with my list. I didn't realize is myself, until I saw myself listed here with 398 films.
    Don't know what happened - I had parts of lists disappear in the past; now a part of the list was doubled - but I cleaned it up. I'm at 307. Coming closer to the 1 film/day group, but not there yet.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for the insight. I don't think I've heard Nihilist Spasm Band but I have a sneaky suspicion I cracked open a can of Godz once. I'll check 'em out, thank you.

• Favorite albums of 2015 (so far)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Severe from My Disco is amazing. Thanks for introducing it to me through this list. I've been checking out some of your others. Digging Girl Band too.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 6 hours ago

Right on, I'll see how well it holds up. If it approaches the level of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy for me, I'd be very impressed. That's an interesting tidbit that it started off in his more maximal vein. I wonder how that sounded.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 6 hours ago

Yeah, I think it might be the greatest hip hop album of all time, as long as it holds up over continued listens.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 6 hours ago

Update 30 - 8 November

Kaplan finally got time to catch up on missed logging and rocketed up into the 1+ film per day, a guaranteed spot there and to 5th place with 103 films. Holey Bajoley! Kgracetasticsake broke the tie with Tatum to hold 18th alone.

Top watchers (alphabetically) guaranteed to not fall out of the 1 or more movies per day slot are: dashforcover, kaplan, Puzzgal, schwabe, and te18.

As a group we logged 203 movies since the last update for a total of 5977 films. For the next update on 15 November, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 319 and 638, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next time! God willin' and creek don't rise.

Faire and ample warning: I do not plan to continue doing the Scoreboard in 2016. In case you missed my update last time.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 10 hours ago

Cool, pretty much my first impression, though I expected more because of Lou Reed's article. It wasunhinty interesting nonetheless. What I would have rated it after that: 6.5, 5.5, 4 for a year or so, until someday I felt like I just need to glistening to it. And then it "clicked".

Interesting fact about its production: it was longer and more maximal (like in the MBDTF kind of way) until a few weeks before release when Kanye West and Rick Rubin cut away a few songs and reduced the layers of music to the point that every single sound counts. A considerable amount of lyrics and vocals were done on the spot, some at the last few days (something like that, I don't remember the exact numbers right now, but you get the idea). Mainstream media will tell you that Blood on the Leaves is the key track, but it's just the most normal/serious song (and a masterpiece at that. David Lynch loves it!). For me the key track is New Slaves.

The title of the album gives away its religious (mostly in spirit, not word) and self-analytical themes. It has enough integrated creative ideas to make his previous albums sound tame in comparison. And for once the album length is decently short. I've listened to the whole thing tens of times in the past few months.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 22 hours ago

I'm tellin ya... I really love Sam Shephard's drumming on Soldier's Joy, the spaced out harmonies on Radar Blues, and the stoned melody of Sky Divers! But Peter Stampfel is very hard on himself and thinks it stinks, and that for this and the follow-up album, their producer shortened the song endings and the space between songs to make random segues which he didn't like (I can't hear that at all), and that Steve Weber never rehearsed (sounds brilliantly charismatic in all his contributions to me). The next album "The Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Rounders" a touch too short for true albumness, is like a more commercial version of post-Safe as Milk pre-Trout Mask Beefheart.
    Outbatshitting them: wait till you hear (if you haven't) the Godz or the Nihilist Spasm Band!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 22 hours ago

Thanks Ill check it out! :)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 22 hours ago

To HumanEmotions: Thank you for recommending Ruby Vroom. I love the atmospheric sound and the peppered, surreal sampling.

To TiggaTrigga: Thanks for recommending Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. One of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. Really ups the ante for its awe-inspiringly huge and alive "orchestral sound"/production values, its impeccable handling of its manifold vocals/performers/choruses, and also its multi-faceted dramatic tension played on such an epic, symphonic scale.

To Sean: Loved revisiting Indian War Whoop. I'd forgotten just how free and raucous and explosively energetic and psychedelic that album is. Certainly in the running for the most batshit album of the 60s.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 1 day ago

Alright. Thank you for answering and, overall, thank you for guiding me with this.

Well, this album may not be a 7.3, but it hasn't been rated by Scaruffi yet and has gotten general acclaim: LiveLoveA$AP (2011).

• The Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 1 day ago

• The Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 1 day ago

Hmm, the process will only require a brain transplant. Not a big deal, that can be arranged easily.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   3 weeks 1 day ago

Unless I changed my stance on music/art, I really really doubt I would ever think it's higher than 5.5 or maybe 6 but anything's possible I suppose.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

Fair enough, I agree there are many examples of short songs being better than long songs.

• Music Ratings & Notes   3 weeks 1 day ago

I admit I was provoking you and I knew you'd reply.
    What I meant was that it's very easy to take Beatles songs (or any other brilliant short songs) for granted and minimize them as light-weight exercises, not realizing the inspiration, vitality and craft put into them. It is also easy to overrate elephantine improvisations based merely on their impressive scope. Film critic Manny Farber wrote about this in the 60s regarding movies and coined the terms "termite art" and "elephant art" (guess which one he preferred).
    I can give examples too: There's more in She Said She Said than in Revoluton 9 (ask the composers); there's more in Paint it Black than in Going Home; there's more in a Schubert song cycle than in a Schubert symphony; there's more in Zappa's early work than in his later technocratic band jams; there's more in a Ramones song than in a Emerson Lake & Palmer song; I do think Break On Through is much more interesting musically than the pretentiously long-winded The End. With Mozart is not that clear. I remember a funny quote by Glenn Gould saying Mozart should've died earlier (I don't agree, though). And there's more in a Chekhov short story than in most thick novels I can think of. But these are questions of taste more than anything.

Simplicity can be a virtue. Simplicity enhances the details and makes the relationship with the listener more direct. Try writing a song in Buddy Holly's style, or a blues song. They're about essence and purity rather than density or excess.