• Novels About Time Travel   1 week 3 days ago

Hello;
    I read a time travel book back in the 8th grade, back in 1982-83. I can't recall the name, but it was a book in the schools reading list. All I can recall besides liking it, was that the main character traveled by way of dying. Meaning, he'd get into a situation where he should have died, but travels instead.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Haha, who knows if it really happened then? :) ... Probably the most stunning, unexpected live music experience I have had was: I was in a Starbucks and a female violinist that was performing, out of nowhere, broke from playing her standard set right into Bach's Violin Partita #2. I just stood there and watched, completely still, in disbelief and awe. I was the only one there that even knew what was going on. The rest of the customers weren't paying it any attention, on their laptops, chatting amongst each other, etc. I was the only one watching, acknowledging her, standing there clapping at the end. I couldn't believe just how disconnected the rest were from the emotions that were streaming out from her playing. That was one of the most astonishing music performances I've ever seen and the largest gulf I've ever experienced between my views on art and "the unserious music listener" (for lack of a better label).

• what misscurly read in 2015...   1 week 3 days ago

Sister Carrie

The book is long, but it seemed longer because the writing wasn't always fantastic. The story is of a young girl trying to manage in a big city; Carrie finds the only way to manage is to compromise and resign herself repeatedly in order to avoid poverty and hunger. At the end of the story she triumphs, but the triumph comes with the realization of the emptiness and loneliness at the top of society. It makes you wonder if Carrie really was the heroine of her story, or if she was more of the antihero or even villain. She lost so much of herself.

"When a girl leaves her home at eighteen, she does one of two things. Either she falls into saving hands and becomes better, or she rapidly assumes the cosmopolitan standard of virtue and becomes worse." (Dreiser, p. 4)

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 3 days ago

You're right. Ridiculous. I've only heard "I Watched The Film The Song Remains The Same" (harmless background music, whatever) and "Richard Ramirez" (nice bluesy quality to it and I like the delayed sloppy backup vocals)

• Greatest Films of the 2000's   1 week 3 days ago

Nice to see Inland Empire and Lost in Translation here! Anyway, suggestions:
    Before Sunset (essential)
    Coraline
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Fantastic Mr Fox
    The Incredibles
    Memento
    Punch-Drunk Love (essential)
    Spirited Away

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 3 days ago

It doesn't make sense. I don't understand why he needs to personally attack Kozelek, or how he decided it was a good idea to publish it as useful information for anyone to read.

Do you like Benji? I think it's the least depressive Kozelek album yet. It's sweet how he deals with all the death happening around him.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

How Starsailor is not the number one pick for you every week is baffling :P

Speaking of Buckley, stumbled into a bar last night with a few friends and this jazz blues band came on and ended up doing covers of 'Strange Feelin'' and 'Down by the Borderline'. Beautiful to be surprised like that! They were probably doing 'All Blues' and The Residents 'We Stole This Riff' though, I had downed a few beverages by this point... ;)

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 3 days ago

I usually go for Chen Pi-hsien (1985). There's a very unique combination of briskness and composure in her performance. The piano tone is amazingly beautiful too. I can listen to her Goldberg for hours.

• Piero Scaruffi's Best Rock Albums   1 week 3 days ago

Now that you've listened to the majority, how would you rank them?

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 3 days ago

My guess -- without even hearing the album -- is that he'd prefer that he extended his horizons, that he's run the course of his introverted, shy folk. I say this because obviously he wouldn't have the same complaint about Down Colorful Hill (he rates it a masterpiece!) even though it may be an ultimate example of his complaint, but 22 years later, maybe he feels reproducing the same general style over and over again (if that is indeed the case) with each successive album has grown tiresome and lost its conviction/luster?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Yeah that is cool to hear a super-successful hit-machine such as Gaye say that. Thanks, I think I'll probably give it a shot soon.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Not yet, but I really like this idea that he changed his mind about doing a half-hearted album and decided to put real passion into it. It's like some sort of victory.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Wow, that makes me want to listen to it. I wonder if the conviction it speaks of comes through in the recording (and in an interesting/extraordinary way). Wonder how it would hold up compared to What's Going On. Have you heard it?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Wow was just reading this really fascinating back-story about Marvin Gaye's 1978 "divorce album", Here, My Dear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here,_My_Dear

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks! Added! I don't believe I've seen his works before, aside from maybe running across them "in passing".

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

I recommend the paintings of Jacob von Ruisdael... "The Great Oak" is wonderful, the titular figure seeming more like a heroic protagonist than it does a mere tree. "The Jewish Cemetery" is a stunning memento mori painting, perhaps my favourite work of his; the grave crumbles as man becomes dust... His paintings of rushing water and the sky are particularly beatuiful.

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 4 days ago

So weird how he's saying Kozelek's writing is too private-themed. What's wrong with that? Also, one of the songs is titled "Pray For Newtown" and another he says is for the "age of mass shootings" (maybe it's a mistake and those are the same song), so that's hardly private. If anything it's just "provincial", as he puts it (the USA) rather than worldly. But so what?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 4 days ago

Very tough call. Probably one of the last two. But right behind those would be 24 hours or the opening track, and, and, and... ;)

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 4 days ago

Who do you listen to for the Goldberg Variations? I've only heard Wanda Landowska (1933) and Glenn Gould (1981), both very beautiful and very, very different. It's not a piece I've spent much time with, though.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 4 days ago

Favorite song on Closer?

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 4 days ago

I'm checking out his recent batch of reviews. Sun Kil Moon's Benji and Swans' To Be Kind are some of his most fucked up writings ever.

• Best of Films 2000s & 2010s   1 week 4 days ago

Thank you very much for your recommendations, I haven't watched "Once Upon a Time in Anatolia" yet, but I'll put it right in the top of my wishlist, as same for the other titles you mention that I haven't seen yet.

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 4 days ago

A recent favorite, from the rock page on Pyrrhon, regarding the album The Mother of Virtues:

"The rhythm section (drummer Alex Cohen and bassist Erik Malave) is the bastard child of an earthquake and a drunk mammoth."

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks for that :-) I'm trying guys, I really am. Hopefully, it "happens"...

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

Scaruffi: Crazy Love - "composed of the gentle caress of the night"... Brand New Day - "this song acts as something of a return to the previous record; it is an impressionistic sketch of heavenly, soft snowfall on a series of beautiful notes".... Album - "His voice is seen ever-searching for emotional balance on a thin wire, moving from faint depression, to nervousness, to spirituality and mysticism. Here, the English progressive song finds its point of maximum sophistication, and Morrison qualifies as the greatest aesthete in soul music’s history."

Me: I can see how the more straightforward format ("standard", as you put it) is inherently limiting compared to the stuff that Astral Weeks is made of, but for what it's worth this is that format put to practically it's most masterful use; I see it as the artistic pinnacle of the standard song style. Other loose competitors would be Blonde on Blonde, your three Stones albums, Songs Of Leonard Cohen, and The River, not that any of them sound like Moondance or each other. Blonde on Blonde was very innovative and surreal for its time, Leonard Cohen is has that "creepiness below a misleading soft surface" vibe like VU&Nico, and the Stones' albums have their impressionistic moments, so that might leave The River as the best comparison.

Van Morison: *sings, chews gum, keeps singing*