• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 4 days ago

Thank you for continuing this game.

here you go I'm down

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 5 days ago
  • Fave literature   1 week 5 days ago

Henry James Sr is reported to have said--half-exasperatingly, half-admiringly--to his friend Ralph Waldo Emerson, "O you man without a handle!" I think this description could be profitably applied to Shakespeare. Every time I return to his texts there is almost a feeling of unfamiliarity: I notice something new, and feel like I understand less. In the Lighthouse is yet another text I've neglected!... I like A Portrait but prefer Ulysses and sections I've read of Dubliners. Fathers and Sons is a full blown masterpiece.

It's nice seeing a list about literature around here!

• Jazz Masterpieces   1 week 5 days ago

I had the same experience. I also started with a bunch of avant-garde jazz guys like Sun Ra and Pharoah Sanders (which I liked because they didn't sound much like jazz) and then I gradually got into the more classical stuff. Now I enjoy the subtleties and the beauty in Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young's sax and only now can I find something truly electrifying in Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie's improvisations (instead of just a boring stream of notes).
    I also think that Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is one of the crowning achievements in jazz. Have yet to listen to a favorite of yours, Don Cherry's Mu.

• My favorite top 50+ overlooked modern trance tracks   1 week 5 days ago

Good day eclectics! Anyobdy like a good riddle ?

I'm looking for a 90s trance song that was something of a hit that I used to hear together with many of the songs listed here.

There's a woman moaning and I think the title had to do with sex.

It was heavily syncopatic, like Barthezz.

It was something with DJ and 2000.

A shot in the dark tells me there was something to do with 'silver' or something shiny. Not Quiksilver, thank you.

I remember there were some C's in the name.

Any luck?

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Why?

• Fave literature   1 week 5 days ago

Completely agree with what you said about Winnie the Pooh: it's amazing how simple the style is, and yet it doesn't feel empty at all. It's the most unpretentious thing ever.

Re Catcher in the Rye: Hard to explain what's so great about it. I didn't mind Caulfield being unbearable...can't think of anything else to say right now. Maybe I'll be able to explain better after a re-read.

Re Notes from Underground: That's a pity :P Hope you'll get it soon. As for other Russians, I have neglected them to a shameful degree. I might have read Tolstoy's novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich (not sure about the spelling) long ago, but I don't remember much about it now!

I'm reading Frankenstein these days, planning to read the short story House of Asterion (recommended to me by Zacharyyy above) soon, along with several novels: In the Lighthouse, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Fathers and Sons, etc. Need to revisit Shakespeare's plays as well: I read a few when I was quite young, and I'm sure I didn't get them all that well!

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   1 week 5 days ago

I disagree. The coughing is actually one of the most amazing aspects of the track, and I'm sure future listens will reveal to you just how profound and stunning that particular moment is.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   1 week 5 days ago

Probably sounds something like T$!hG$TB@$B%^YU#6hj$H@$H$%G@FWEDFAsdfwf :-)

I wore a helmet. It broke during Free Form Freak-Out III. This is really good!

• 1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die   1 week 5 days ago

happy to join you

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 5 days ago
  • Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   1 week 5 days ago

The sound of some guy coughing at 7:14 gets my vote as the biggest flaw in the track :D

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 5 days ago

Welcome and enjoy the play! I'll be asking people to start posting the address of their 2015 lists about mid-December, although anytime you know what it will be is great!

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 6 days ago

I been trying to find this for years
    A king and his daughter lived in a castle and one of the kings assistants(or brother) wanted to steal the throne away from the king. On the same night, (christmas eve) the king gives his daughter a charm bracelet which used to be her moms. And for the king, his daughter sang him a christmas song with the melody coming out of a Music Box. Since brother/assistant saw how much the king loved his daughter, that night, while she was sleeping, made her sniff some potion which would make her loose her memory. Then the assistant took her into a forest and made her live with a man who lived inside a cottage.
    Soon, the girl grows up into a teen and she still doesnt remember she was a princess and she still lives with that man in the cottage. During this time, the king has spent all of these years looking for her while the assistant who kidnapped his daughter rules the village and makes everyone pay a ton of taxes.
    Then there was a part where the king was searching the forest for her and then a gang of bad guys started harassing him for his money. Then the girl (not knowing its her father) rolls a giant snowball at them and brings the king into her cottage. The king then tells her how he is looking for his daughter who disappeared on christmas. He said that his daughter has a one of a kind charm bracelet and that only she would have it. The king then starts to name the charms on the bracelet his daughter had. Then the king then goes back to the castle and she starts to have little flasbacks of when she was a little girl. Then she notices she has the same bracelet the king described.
    So with the help of her talking bird and deer (lol) friends she met in the forest, they go to the village and into the castle, passing all the guards. When she goes inside the castle, she stands inside the room where she sang the christmas song to her father and has a flashback of herself singing it. She then sees the music box and starts to sing along.
    Then another day, some lady brings in her daughter to the castle and makes her pretend to be the missing princess so they could become rich :P (at a different time, that lady stole the charm bracelet from the real princess). So when the king sees the bracelet on the girl, he believes she is actually his daughter, until she couldnt sing that christmas carol from the music box.
    Then the real princess shows up and sings the carol... and the king finds his daughter and they lived happily ever after

• Stretch Corleone's Album Listening Log 2014   1 week 6 days ago

Are you going to check out Logic's Under Pressure? Undoubtedly derivative of Kendrick, but that doesn't mitigate my enjoyment. Bounce and Under Pressure are two of the best tracks, in my opinion.

• My Favorite Films   1 week 6 days ago

Re: Aeroplane ... it is almost too incredible. I am often just beside myself with awe, shaking my head while listening to it. I mean, I've thought it was a masterpiece before, but now it's a bit more meaningful because of the historical perspective of rock/music/art and how the artist is drawing on so many different forms and emotions simultaneously. It's really a culmination/synthesis of my criteria. It is probably the most perfect cohesion/balance of "avant-garde/experimental" and "popular/familiar" (The Doors are also among the best examples). In a sense, it is the history of rock from all (or several) sides, culminated as one "music"; from the pop/Beatles, et al, on through to the present; from Capt Beef/Zappa through to the present; from folk/Dylan through to the present; from VU (and punk/indie/lo-fi) through to the present... And probably the ultimate example of personal conviction in rock, if not all music.

Looking forward to your recovery from exhaustion :-)

• Fave literature   1 week 6 days ago

In complete honesty, it's nice seeing Winnie the Pooh. I loved the books as a child and today I can see how eloquent and profound Milne was. It's a shame that one often sees his quotes--like Shakespeare, Pope and Emerson--wrenched from their context and aphorized, though there is undeniable wisdom and power even in his smaller phrases and passages. That said, I really don't like Catcher in the Rye. I read it a few years back and found Caulfield unbearable.

I was at the bookstore the other day and was tempted to pick up Notes from the Underground but put it down; one of these days I will get to it! Since Dostoevsky is at the top of your list: have you explored the other great Russians? Tolstoy and Chekhov of course, but also the harrowing Isaac Babel, and the deeply moving and intelligent Turgenev.

• My Favorite Films   1 week 6 days ago

Re Lynch: Yes, the incomprehensibility of his plots can seem annoying and pointless at first, but if you can overlook that, then his style is quite fascinating! It takes time to get used to it, but I've learnt to pay more attention to expression and emotion in films, as well as in music.

Re Welles: I did notice the absence of older films actually :P

Re Punch-Drunk Love: I'm sure you'll like it :)

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 6 days ago

When i was young i have watch a cartoon, it's about a very beautiful princess, every man want to marry her, the princess will merry the man that can answered her 3 question, but if they cant answer it, they will die. At the end the princess married a man that answer 'Shoe' at a cave.

The princess hair is black.

I couldnt remember the title, and i want to know- if any of you know the title please tell me *bow*

• Jazz Masterpieces   1 week 6 days ago

The albums on my list have been my favorites for a long time, but I recently heard Jazz at Massey Hall and it blew me away in a brand new way. I've heard very little jazz released before late 50's and now I feel I'm missing out on a lot of great stuff. I'm downloading these two Duke Ellington albums you mentioned and a bunch of Charlie Parker albums at the moment. Hopefully I'll get most of the albums on your list and the Penguin Guide list by the end of 2015.

• Best Kanye West songs   2 weeks 6 hours ago

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    2. The College Dropout (could be #1)
    3. Yeezus
    4. Late Registration
    5. 808s & Heartbreak
    6. Graduation

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 weeks 7 hours ago

Awesome, thanks, yes I dig Velazquez. I've viewed most (maybe all) of his major works, but definitely need to evaluate them more thoroughly as you seem to have done. He is one of my higher priorities on my "to do" list, including the ones you mention here. I am confident he has at least a few works I'd rate highly.

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 weeks 8 hours ago

Have you looked at Velazquez? An incredible storyteller... Las Meninas, in which he paints of the infanta's visit to his studio, and The Surrender of Breda, which details the victorious Spinola, are the highest flights of painting. The former is especially, I think, one of those happy convergences where the work's acclaim is proportionate to it's greatness. Bacon said "If you can say it, why paint it?" and I think Velazquez shows how different the narrative possibility of painting is compared to literature.

• My Music Lists   2 weeks 8 hours ago

This is such a perceptive comment! I completely agree with your interpretation of Otello. In my opinion, to find equals (in opera) to the likes of Aida, Otello and Falstaff one needs to look to the Da Ponte collaborations, although Mozart may in fact surpass Verdi. (Admittedly, I'm no Wagnerite, though I love Tristan & Isolde). I hope you find a chance to dig into more Verdi soon!