• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 3 days ago

Nice, I'll throw something up here about my view on Aeroplane soon which might shed some light on it -- whether it improves anyone's rating or not, I don't know. I'm a little disappointed by HM too -- not that an 8.2 isn't extraordinary -- but that it dropped so much after being a 9 for so long. Maybe it's just temporary and will make it's way back up there. Re: Meet The Residents, I'm starting to think it might be better than Not Available -- though maybe I just need to re-listen to that one too. I'm going to be re-listening to a lot of albums and making any necessary updates to my "greatest albums" and "songs/tracks" list.

Very interesting developments. I'm a little disappointed that Hosianna Mantra got bumped down a few notches, and after re-listening to In the Aeroplane over the Sea a few times per your re-rating, I still don't really care for it. However, just the possibility of Meet the Residents getting a promotion excites me. I've been championing that album for years, and I love to see its genius revealed to others.

• 25 Most Overrated Bands of All Time   3 weeks 3 days ago

Come on this list is clearly just weak! Clearly just one persons
    "taste" in music! IMO weak! And what about all the untalented
    new shit? country Rap and bands like new kids poison white snake
    all pretty boy ( or girl) media driven bands? Just because bands
    have some hardcore fans doesn't make them over rated! For the MOST
    part this list can claim their own style or even own lyrics.. While others
    have no talent or steal others shit? Go on looks or sellout! Again obviously
    This list is very biased.... Where's Bon jovi or Jonas bros? But led zep, PF,
    and comments on the dead? Weak they lived for their fans man!
    Original artists like that can't be overrated!

• Beatles singles ranked   3 weeks 4 days ago

I especially like that it ends so well: the last three tracks collectively just blow me away.

I did, I think. I've only listened to some tracks on Anthology, like the two "new" Beatles tracks, the freakout tracks like The New Mary-Jane and the epic You Know My Name (that version should've been released, though the Let It Be B-side version is still awesome and one of my favourite Beatles tracks), and some other demos, mostly of songs that I like and am interested in.

Lennon's vocal performance in Girl I found to be weak. I would have to re-listen though. How different would your versions of Hard Day's Night, For Sale and Help be by the way?

My comprehensive 1962-1965 comp would have:

2014-03-07: 26 accounts, 00 comments, 02 pages
    2014-03-05: 16 accounts, 01 comments
    2014-03-04: 44 accounts, 05 comments
    2014-03-02: 12 accounts, 11 comments
    2014-03-01: 08 accounts

• Beatles singles ranked   3 weeks 4 days ago

I've had a lot of fun with the White Album since last week. Love how pleasing and easy it is on the ears and how ridiculously long and all-over-the-place it is! They should've made more albums like that. The lack of any sort of concept or unity works greatly for them. It's pretty much everything they do best, and LOTS of it. It might even appear on my Best Albums list sometime!

Also re-listening to Sgt. Pepper these days. It's growing on me a little bit. By the way, I hope you've heard the rough version of Sgt. Pepper's title track on the Anthology compilation. It's just awesome.

Your version of With the Beatles kicks ass! I would never omit Girl from Rubber Soul. Yet I think the horny inhalation sound Lennon makes everytime he sings the chorus is hilariously creepy.

What would your single disc pre-Revolver compilation consist of?

• Birds   3 weeks 5 days ago

This is a great list. Florida is so lucky to have such a diverse bird population. :)

• Ultimate Classic House List (1984-1989)   3 weeks 5 days ago

The list is missing two of the best and most sought after 80s' house tunes ever made.

M+M - I Wanna House (Missing Records '87)

Various - Missing Records Special Edition Volume 1 (Missing Records '87) 4 amazing tracks

Marcus Mixx had some additional house songs...

• Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time   3 weeks 5 days ago

This list claims to be "100 greatest standups of all time", but it's really just the greatest from like the 1960's onward.

• Reading Log, 2014   3 weeks 6 days ago

If you really liked the movie, I think you should at least give the book a chance. For me, the absurdist humor worked better on screen (things like the bratwurst phone and penis doorknob are just more effective as visual gags), but they're similar enough tonally that you shouldn't have vastly different reactions to the two. And there's a fair bit of stuff in the book that isn't in the film, so it'll be more than just a retread of what you've already seen. (Plus, if you do end up liking the book, there's also the sequel, This Book Is Full of Spiders.)

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 60 Best Albums   3 weeks 6 days ago

Both 2007 double disc versions of The Very Best Of The Doors are good enough.I prefer the US version because it has My Eyes have Seen You.

It has been ages since I listened to any Radiohead. I guess my compilation would be:

Disc 1 :

You And Whose Army?
    Feral
    Sit Down Stand Up
    The Tourist
    The Bends
    Motion Picture Soundtrack

I'm glad you didn't ask about my Best of Velvet Underground instead of Radiohead and Doors. It would have taken me days to come up with a 15-disc Box Set tracklist that contains all the VU music that I love :D

• Unknown Great Rock Albums   3 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks. Added it to the list :)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 weeks 6 days ago

Maybe sometime, or Slim Shady LP. Got lots of music to check out right now though. Lots. :)

Wow, that's a helluva recommendation. I'll see if I can check it out this week.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Artists of All Time: The Immortals   3 weeks 6 days ago

George Strait, Billy Joel, Ronnie Milsap and Alabama should definitely be on this list Not to mention Haggard and Jones. I feel it's disrespect to put 100 artist above them. Micheal Jackson is way to low on the list regardless of his personal life, his music is without question top 5. And if you're going to put Aretha Franklin in the top 10, the queen of rock not roll Tina Turner surely should be there as well, she also sold more concert tickets than any other solo artist. Garth Brooks is second highest selling artist of all time he can't even make the list.

Have you listened to Jimmy Bell's Still in Town yet? I swear, I like it almost as much as Trout Mask Replica or The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

• Reading Log, 2014   4 weeks 1 hour ago

Quick question: Was the book 'John Dies at the End' better than the movie?
    I really liked the movie so if the book was anything like that or better then I'd read it! ^~^

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   4 weeks 1 day ago

Now that you've finally heard Marshall Mathers LP, I guess the next Eminem album to try would be MMLP2?

• Greatest Talk Show Hosts   4 weeks 1 day ago

Henry Rollins was here a bit as a joke. Leno is a terrible interviewer, never listens to the answers and hates spontaneity. His work as a comedian in the 90s is far more interesting. Larry King is a pro. Howard Stern, when he wants to, is a fascinating interviewer and someone with a genius sense of what is entertaining and what we want to hear. Carson and Oprah were a bit underrated (I corrected that). Feel free to go through all of my lists.

• 41 Greatest Voices   4 weeks 1 day ago

You're right! I've just listened to his "Danny Boy" (I only knew "Higher and Higher") and it's amazing.

• Greatest Talk Show Hosts   4 weeks 1 day ago

Larry King would almost have to be #1, in an objective sense, wouldn't he? And Johnny Carson and Oprah should really be in the Top 3.

Also, Henry Rollins before Jay Leno?

• 41 Greatest Voices   4 weeks 1 day ago

Did you forget Jackie Wilson? Otherwise, his absence here is inexplicable, my friend. :-)

• 41 Greatest Voices   4 weeks 1 day ago

Thank you. Jagger is definitely one of the greatest singers. If this list was named "greatest singers" he'd probably be in the top ten. I went with greatest "voices" to avoid the generic best singers list. But come to think of it, he does have an amazing voice apart from his performance qualities. I also forgot John Fogerty.
    I'm aware Dylan's not the most gifted singer technically (even though he's always underrated in this regard. He can be a very intelligent and subtle singer), but his power to evoke images and emotions is unmatched (few other singers move me as much and impose the same kind of reverence). I'm not the greatest connoisseur of the post-80s Dylan (although Jokerman is one of my favorite songs and features one of his most amazing vocals btw) so I was thinking more of his 60s and 70s work. He still makes good use of the little he has left in Love and Theft and Modern Times.

• 41 Greatest Voices   4 weeks 1 day ago

Nice to see Billie Holiday up there, one of the greatest singers of all time for sure. Ditto for Fitzgerald, Sinatra and Redding. I'm surprised a little there's no Jagger on your list but it's awesome that you included Cohen and Reed :)

Does your ranking of Dylan apply to all of his performances? What do you think about his post-80's voice?

:-) No problem, I'll say some things about Aeroplane soon...