• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 weeks 16 hours ago

Say you bumped something up from 7.5 to 7.6...would that mean that there have been many recent listens at 7.7+ (averaging down to 7.6 given the long-standing 7.5)..or does it mean a WHOLE LOT of listens at an actual 7.6?

• Fave literature   4 weeks 3 days ago

Maybe, maybe not. It's not my priority right now but maybe I'll get into it at a later point.

Relative completeness ... in other words: when I feel more complete about my lists and they're all caught up to a satisfactory degree. Not an illusion really, but maybe the idea of reading all those novels and poetry would be for me...

• Top 200 critically acclaimed movies from the last 5 years   4 weeks 3 days ago

Update 26/4-16:
    Out Don Jon - In The Jungle Book
    Out Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me - In Sing Street

Update 18/4-16:
    Out The End of the Tour - In Captain America: Civil War

Update 14/4-16:
    Out 45 Years - In Victoria
    Out Frances Ha - In Zootopia

Update 1/4-16:
    Out Furious 7 - In Marguerite
    Out Mississippi Grind - In Remember

Update 26/2-16:
    Out Seymour: An Introduction - In Embrace of the Serpent ("El abrazo de la serpiente")
    Out Side By Side - In A War ("Krigen")

Update 16/1-16:

Out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - In Bless Me, Ultima
    Out Footnote - In Cloud Atlas
    Out The Guard - In Prometheus
    Out Monsieur Lazhar - In Searching for Sugar Man
    Out Martha Marcy May Marlene - In Under the Skin
    Out 50/50 - In Goodnight Mommy
    Out Shame - In We Are the Best!
    Out Margaret - In Into the Woods

Out The Interrupters - In Spy

Update 3/12-15:
    Out Locke - In Creed
    Out X-Men: Days of Future Past - In The Danish Girl
    Out Blancanieves - In Bridge of Spies
    Out Good Kill - In Carol
    Out Joe - In Son of Saul ("Saul Fia")

Update 28/11-15:
    Out 99 Homes - In Spotlight
    Out Parkland - In Brooklyn
    Out Tracks - In A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence ("En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron")

Update 5/11-15:
    Out A Hijacking ("Kapringen") - In Steve Jobs
    Out The Lunchbox ("Dabba") - In Room

Update 28/10-15:
    Out Into the Abyss - In Beasts of No Nation

Update 10/10-15:
    Out Bless Me, Ultima - In Sicario
    Out Cloud Atlas - In The Martian
    Out Prometheus - In MacBeth

Update 14/09-15:
    Out Searching for Sugar Man - In Straight Outta Compton

• Fave literature   4 weeks 4 days ago

Meaning you'll never do it because relative completeness is an illusion.

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   4 weeks 4 days ago

Aha! Thanks :-)

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   4 weeks 4 days ago

some more grammar stuff, clearer on conceptual breadth v. depth, added the idea (at least) of replacing communication with "speech" (something which doesn't require clarity from the artist), and the small point that album structural elements require my perception of intentional use (not just an automatic "plus .5 for both album sides having aberrational slow blues songs on track three!")

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   4 weeks 4 days ago

What changed?

• Fave literature   4 weeks 5 days ago

I may do that once Ive brought my other lists to a better point of relative completeness.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   4 weeks 5 days ago

Thank you, I need to revisit Clerks for sure. I haven't seen Gummo yet. You're right that the rest should be on here, except Im not sure about Ed Wood. I haven't decided where City Lights ranks and I haven't revisited the others in years.

Borat is outrageously funny. I haven't seen it since its release so Id have to see it again to see how well its satire on America/prejudices/political correctness etc holds up, remains compelling and humorous.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   4 weeks 5 days ago

Clerks is far funnier (and generally better) than Dogma. Though perhaps with not as much 'depth'. I would freely give suggestions for comedies except that word gives me pause. Anyway:
    City Lights
    The Big Lebowski
    Ed Wood
    Borat (curious what you think of this especially)
    Life of Brian
    Back to the Future

Gummo is often tagged as a 'black comedy' and might make it, though personally I think the tag is stretching it a bit. It's an interesting and unique film regardless of genre, and worth watching.

• 2016 Book Log   4 weeks 5 days ago

Oh another reader who read the kingkiller's chronicles! How did you find it?

• Fave literature   4 weeks 5 days ago

You should try it! :P

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 weeks 5 days ago

Re: Spotify account ... That sucks! Such a great resource... Another excellent site is Tidido.com -- which is relatively unknown. Between that and Spotify, I can find most of what Im looking for. I use YouTube if necessary as it sometimes has obscure recordings that I simply can't find elsewhere (such as Leo Smith's Mass on the World). Also, I can find pretty much anything (film or music or books) via my inter-library loan system which I'm not sure is available where you are. Only catch is that it sometimes takes weeks to receive so if my usual sources fail me, that's where I go.

Here's Liberation Music Orchestra via YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEigDG-tadUshVcV8QzQSQ1OBicrCGs8M

Its probably on Tidido.com too.

The album is extremely dynamic musically and compositionally, rising and falling in sweeping phases of coalescing instrumentation. Its instrumentation is largely assisted by Carla Bley (along with Mingus probably the greatest composer in jazz history), and it has some similarities to scores from masterpieces such as her Escalator Over the Hill (the non-vocal portions) and A Genuine Tong Funeral. It is also a precursor to some portions of Myra Melford's astonishing Even the Sounds Shine. Dont know if you've heard any of those for reference points.

It calls back to the Spanish Civil War and revisits the period in vibrant, evocative fashion. It seems to depict an evolution of intense, confusing, overwhelming battle sequences, alternated by touching scenes of hope and death and loss and overcoming obstacles and community. Visually, it might look something like the organized, meaningful chaos, compassion and folly of humanity as that of a Brueghel painting such as Triumph of Death (if it were instead depicting the Spanish Civil War).

• Greatest Rock Albums   4 weeks 5 days ago

Thank you, I go back and forth on which of those Residents works is best. Not Available is certainly more refined and composed but every bit as experimental/original.

• Greatest Rock Albums   4 weeks 5 days ago

Both low 8.2's before. Meet The Residents is fascinating because it alternates between showing the tragedy of post-hippie America as comic and the comedy of the same as tragic. Haven't heard Not Available yet.

• Greatest Rock Albums   4 weeks 5 days ago

Where were Piper and Meet the Residents rated/ranked before this update?

• Fave literature   4 weeks 6 days ago

Cool to see someone taking a shot at ratings for literature.

• Favorite albums of 2015   4 weeks 6 days ago

Wake up on the wrong side of the room this morning? As I said, I dont know if I want to dedicate the time to listening to it first unless he rates it high. Its a really long album and I tend to agree with him 90% of the time or so. Due to that I trust his ratings/rankings the most. Its about using my limited time efficiently, not about the formation of opinion. Currently, for jazz, I'm mainly trying to fill in my 8/10s+, hence my questions...

In any case, if its a throwback to those with conviction more than mere derivation, you're probably correct that Ill dig it.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 weeks 6 days ago

Looks like my sources don't have it. Can you PM me a link?
    Update: Listology's email system is apparently down and we can't receive emails. Please send it to amirkhosrobahadori@gmail.com

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 weeks 6 days ago

My Spotify account is screwed up up for some reason. I couldn't found a download for it either. Friends might have it so I'll keep an eye for it. How would you describe the album?

• Favorite albums of 2015   5 weeks 14 min ago

Jeez, it's OK to form your own opinions man. Who cares if Scaruffi doesn't like it. Are you just going to stop listening to new music when Scaruffi dies? Listen to a track or two from the album and if it resonates with you, listen to some more. If it doesn't, move on--simple as that. The Epic is a throwback to the music of Coltrane, McCoy Tyner and Sanders--if you like them you'll probably like The Epic.

• Favorite albums of 2015   5 weeks 55 min ago

I'm considering checking out Kamasi Washington's The Epic but am hesitant to devote the time to it before I see if Scaruffi rates it highly as well. In your opinion how does it compare qualitatively to other "spiritual jazz" greats such as Alice Coltrane's Ptah The El Doaud, McCoy Tyner's Extensions or Sahara, or even Pharoah Sanders' Karma, Keith Jarrett's Survivor' Suite or, the ultimate: Coltrane's A Love Supreme?

• Greatest Rock Albums   5 weeks 17 hours ago

Haha, great comparison!

I can't recommend Y enough, but I'm glad you've heard its most original track. Every track is startling in its own right.

• Greatest Rock Albums   5 weeks 23 hours ago

just Thief of Fire - cool track, reminded me of James Brown and Beefheart collaborating on a cover of Simply Saucer's Illegal Bodies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jli9L1gyI)

• Greatest Rock Albums   5 weeks 23 hours ago

Have you checked out Pop Group's Y?