• BEST 1000 DANCE TRACKS [1984-2009]   2 weeks 3 days ago

Isolee - Beau Mot Plage

Should be on Top 100 for sure, and pretty high at that.

[also, good work on keeping up with these comments five years later]

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Is there a painting equivalent to The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady?

• My Criteria For Art   2 weeks 3 days ago

"On my scale, a 10 would essentially be a 9.5 accumulating in power until it has doubled, or, if it's easier to think with, two full 9.5s, one after the other (though each part of the same work). To be ultra-specific, a 9.8/10 is probably on the order of a 9.3/10 and 9.5/10 put together. And, as described above, a 10/10 would indeed be twice as amazing as a 9.5/10."

So if a 9.5/10 movie has a 9.5/10 soundtrack, in a way the soundtrack fits the movie perfectly, it would be a 10/10 movie?

• All TV Shows I've Seen   2 weeks 3 days ago

Always wanted those narrated video program for kids. They are more educational and child-friendly. Most of them were just like dubbed professionally with voice overs sounding like a kids that is good enough for kids entertainment purposes. This site http://www.debbieirwin.com/medical-voiceover-narration/ is providing video narrated program samples.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 4 days ago

A good review of Chinatown: http://www.notcoming.com/reviews/chinatown

• Favorite Musical Orgasms   2 weeks 4 days ago

Pere Ubu - Final Solution - 2:22

• Most Acidic Traxx   2 weeks 4 days ago

Great track! The acid builds and builds. I added it to the updated list: http://www.karangill.com/acidic-traxx/ . Feel free to post additional suggestions!

• BEST 1000 DANCE TRACKS [1984-2009]   2 weeks 5 days ago

Hi and great list,

does anyone know a track that sampled a cough sweet ad with the line "suck it and see" and then it had a woman's voice kind of screaming "are you still dancing" would love to find it as have been searching for years think the track was released around 1994?

also what about boston bruins raise your hands (original) great track.

cheers

Matt

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   2 weeks 5 days ago

Perfect From Now On/ The Good Son/ Brilliant Corners/ Marquee Moon/ Free Jazz/ Untitled/ Original Sin/ Ascension/ Suicide/ Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain/ Dreamtime Return/ Loveless/ Trout Mask Replica/ Third Ear Band

• Favorite Comics   2 weeks 5 days ago

Not at all; I liked Tintin a lot growing up but it doesn't hold up--unlike, say, Asterix--as it once did. Fun adventure stories, but little else. My favourite stories are, probably, The Castafiore Emerald, The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure, The Shooting Star...

I actually haven't read the one that is supposed to be the most racist of all, Tintin in the Congo. One of these days.

• Best Acid Trance   2 weeks 5 days ago

Faxe Inc. - Something
    Connecting Synapses - Hard On Acid
    Connecting Synapses - Eternity Collapsed

• Best Albums of the 2000's & 2010's   2 weeks 5 days ago

Ive almost upgraded Tragedy to 8.3+ a couple times so I might agree that its equal to Ys. For awhile I rated Disappeared 8.1/8.2 and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it returns upon future listens.

• Favorite Comics   2 weeks 5 days ago

Chester Brown! My favorite. Great list with lots of works to discover. Only Tintin is missing (though I can guess the reason - Herge's racism?).

• Greatest Post-Apocalyptic Novels   2 weeks 5 days ago

Haven't read Swan Song yet, mostly because I thought it'd be a knock-off of The Stand, just like you say. Not a huge fan of the King novel, but if Swan Song is better, then it's worth a look. And yes, The Road is great; I read it about 5 years ago, and it still sticks with me to this day. Actually, there is a big drop off after the first two novels on this list (Riddley Walker is also a masterpiece).

• Best Albums of the 2000's & 2010's   2 weeks 5 days ago

I haven't listened yet Have on one me, incredibly, but I think that Tragedy is on the same level of Ys.
    I'd rate Arcade Fire's Funeral 8 and rank a little higher Disappeared but overall I agree firmly with this list.

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 5 days ago

I dont know if its recent or not, but very cool to see some agreement on Roxy Music's self-titled!

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 5   2 weeks 5 days ago

Novus Magnificat
    Bad Moon Rising
    This Heat

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 5 days ago

I think I listened to it on repeat about 1000 times during that week lol

• Greatest Films of All Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

Okay thanks, I'll try to see if the one I saw is either one of these, though I'm afraid it is not.

• Most Acidic Traxx   2 weeks 5 days ago

Faxe Inc. - Something

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   2 weeks 6 days ago

Ok, though your vote on the Cluster/Creature Comforts match should be interesting.

• Best Commercials of 2004   2 weeks 6 days ago

They still gets best commercial despite lack of advance digital technology way back in 2004. Perhaps, the competition now, would go from various categories because of technology we have today. This site http://www.debbieirwin.com/voiceover/vocal-style/audio/ for Debbie Irwin is in fact doing many tv ads performed by various female voice artist.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 6 days ago

Removed The Thin Red Line because Malick puts his theme of the male ego into a war setting and that dilutes it. He turns the soldiers into children (a good thing), but because of that, they are forced to confront the reality of death and suffer heartbreak as if for the first time. In other words he is stumbling upon the very cliches of the war film. The most profound scenes are about heartbreak and death (becoming a soldier and picturing a woman to be there in the end). They are challenged by heartbreak as war and war as heartbreak. It is also a metaphor about overcoming heartbreak and seeing the meaning of the soldier outside of attracting women. There is some basic religious commentary ("Love - where does it come from?") all of which is peripheral in a story of only two dangers: war violence and heartbreak. If each of them is a cliche, then both of them combined is still probably a cliche. The film tries to squeeze as much emotion out of these themes, largely through idyllic and nostalgic images. You experience things that are indeed emotional, but through the visual language no matter how lyrical you see only cliches. Badlands is more deeply invested in the tragedy of the male ego (and fake identity in general) and its metaphors, not weakening it with messages about war and meditations on youthful love.

Days of Heaven is the most metaphysical of his films I've seen, exploring the same setting of the mythical, fragmentary world as his other ones. It is like Angelopoulos but not like Tarkovsky. For example, when the farmer lay dying on the ground, he is looking up for the last time and the shot changes to a bunch of horses in a haze of smoke (implying he is seeing an otherworldly image - there was only one horse before and no smoke) but then the camera starts moving upward and ominous music plays, implying a mere transition shot. The film is often more focused on rootlessness and the objective qualities of worlds than on the subjective trenches of nostalgia. It is like he is narrating the tale of all humanity as understood by one of Wings of Desire's angels, i.e., a being that sees both the objective and the subjective. The characters are reduced to animals, with everything human being a burden - perhaps they are exalted rather than reduced. The beauty seems to lie here; they play mythical characters of the violent frontier but are subjected to myths of the same setting of a divine and graceful nature watching over them. The prairie is the setting of corruption and greed, but the endless rootlessness and lack of social or political location or ideology concomitantly brings out our spiritual side.

• Top 20 Items that 20-somethings should learn to master in the kitchen   2 weeks 6 days ago

I've been working through this list and having a lot of fun trying out new recipes. A few on here I probably never would have thought to make are really good and simple (marinara sauce, baked macaroni and cheese, enchiladas). Any other dishes you would suggest learning after I have these down?