• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 5 days ago

No big deal. And if I didn't think Revolver totally fits your criteria to an astonishing degree, I wouldn't bother with this conversation at all. I've already pointed out on Amir's page why it does. And your description of Dookie is spot-on, great album.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

Thanks, I actually dig the instrumentals (though I would agree that most of the vocal tracks are superior).

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Sorry, I dont know how soon Ill get to it -- hopefully this weekend. My "real" life is very demanding. Although I choose not to go into it on this site, I will say that I work quite a bit and volunteer on various projects a combined 80+ hours per week, among spending time with friends and loved ones, etc. Although I generally keep things rolling along smoothly enough to where I can consistently find time to post updates here a couple times per day, including postings of analysis of music/film/paintings from time to time, this week has been a bit more demanding than most and I haven't been able to think with it. I am surprised My Criteria page hasnt done the trick though. I'm not sure why the early Beatles would seem like they fit into that. Keep in mind that it isn't until 7.3+ that an album starts more clearly representing my criteria in an extraordinary fashion, so something like Dookie (6.9/10) while really great, shouldn't be confused as an album I am claiming to be a historically extraordinary work of art. It is simply a great album from start to finish that never flags. It is relentlessly catchy, with great melodies, fantastic manic drum rolls, sudden rhythmic stops, starts etc, and guitars played between ferocious, emphatic and enthusiastic -- continuously for virtually its entire running time. Inside this frantic delirium is Billy Joe's stoned teenager vocals. The album evokes the stereotypical stoner that is disconnected from the action in his environment and that shirks responsibility all around him. Its both funny and exciting -- and one of the catchiest albums ever made at that.

Ill try and get around to the rest of our conversation on the weekend.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Double post

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 6 days ago

Haha, ok.
    Waiting.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 6 days ago

Hehe, I just made it up :-)

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 1 hour ago

Where's that from?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 7 hours ago

Thank you, I probably will during this run through hip hop.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 7 hours ago

I don't know why, my time is dry; the cuppeth runneth over, where is my four leaf clover?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 8 hours ago

You need to revisit Yeezus asap, AH.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 8 hours ago

Each day just goes so fast; you turn around, it's past ;)

• The Hip Hop Phase   2 weeks 11 hours ago

Superb list. What do you think of Snoop's Doggystyle and Fugees The Score? And Straight Outta Compton?

Also, though Dalek might not be what you'd be into right now, they just might be -- overall -- the most extraordinary hip hop artists of all time.

Also, I checked out some tracks on Cannibal Ox's long awaited follow up to Cold Vein, Blade of Ronin (2015) and it seemed to be well worth listening to.

Kendrick Lamar's "untitled.unmastered" (from an interesting stew of leftovers off To Pimp a Butterfly) also seems like it has potential (based on one listen).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 12 hours ago

Re: standouts ... Not sure yet. Offhand, I don't know which song titles are which tracks yet, but I remember thinking it had some that might be worth considering for my hip hop list. I'll start being more attentive to that as I listen to it more.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 15 hours ago

Late Reg vs MBDTF and CD: Its a great transition between the two. It gives a glimpse into the epic stateliness of the latter, and is a bit more professional and less spontaneous seeming than College Dropout while still basing itself in similar themes/concept. Though it is excellent, I feel it falls pretty well short of the consistency and emotional potency of either (fundamentally, has far less "soul" than CD and less epic build up to an overwhelming sense of "power" than Dark Fantasy, as well as less "soul").

Skits can either add to the brilliance of an album or detract from it (if they feel unnecessary or tedious. Just depends on if they are emotionally or conceptually significant and necessary.

3 Feet High: Its seemed a 7 the last 3 listens Ive given it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if sooner or later it boomeranged back to 7.3+. Its a great album no doubt, among the most original in hip hop. For now, I think its consistency isn't strong enough to rate that high -- it may spend a little bit too much time on its lesser material such as skits, that while generally funny and interesting, haven't held up well enough for me to justify its place among the most extraordinary albums of all time (7.3+). I may change my mind upon future listens!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 16 hours ago

I just saw you listened to Late Registration. Standouts and how does it compare to The College Dropout/MBDTF? And, do you feel skits take away from the album's expressiveness, since they're not really musical?

Also, you lowered the rating of 3 Feet High: what made it initially deserve the 7.3 rating and what made it seem more underwhelming this time? I've been listening to it quite a bit in the past week and was really enjoying the cartooniness it had, and contrasting it with what was around at that time. Definitely one of the highlights of that time, more so that Straight Outta Compton and I'd even say The Chronic.

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs   2 weeks 16 hours ago

Sweet! I can't wait! It's hard for me to classify if certain music is or isn't hip-hop (Portishead/trip-hop, Flying Lotus/instrumental-electronic-hip-hop), but I'd like to know where you stand with that. Songs from albums like Madvillainy or J Dilla's Donuts aren't necessarily good stand-alone, and work better when complementing the whole.

Yeah, to me, Ska Trek is the only song that even remotely resembles any hip-hop element. The album's way more reggae than rap. Maybe he made the connection because of the use of sampling.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   2 weeks 20 hours ago

Will get back to you on the above as soon as I can. Life...

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 20 hours ago

Without the 3 instrumentals, Paid in Full would basically be flawless. Regardless, it shifted the paradigm and deeply influenced everybody and changed hip hop as a whole. If you like it check out the first 3 tracks on Follow the Leader. That sequence is every bit as great and enjoyable as Paid in Full. The Coldcut remix of Paid in Full is a classic as well.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 1 day ago

Agreed that Illmatic is possibly superior ( certainly smoother). Speaking of great flows, I just revisited Paid in Full and it made a huge leap for me.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

I don't think the subject matter and atmosphere are the same thing as flow. I actually found the emo/beat poetry atmosphere intriguing but the flow (rhyme patterns, internal rhymes, compound rhymes,... ) was pretty basic. Compare the album to Illmatic (another poetic and emotional album) and you'll hear what I mean. Anyway, thanks again for introducing the album, I'll listen to it when I can give it proper attention. Right now I'm more interested in raps that have great flows too.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

Fair enough, though if imaginative and poetic lyrics are what matter to you I'm looking forward to what you think when you check him out more as he may be the greatest hip hop artist I've ever heard in that regard. On Personal Journals he often raps with a sense of restlessness/anxiety, as if he is troubled by his demons/his life, nervous as he is revealing himself. So I can understand if it's not the type of flow you're looking for.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

I just listened to a couple of the album's songs on youtube. It's not my kind of thing right now. His music is unique and poetic but he's not that great of a lyricist in terms of rhythm and flow. These days I'm mostly into rappers whose lyrics are both innovative and poetic: Biggie, Nas, Aesop Rock, Rakim... Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll get more into it later.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

Have you checked out Sage Francis? If not, Personal Journals is superb. Its intimate, poetic, lyrically and emotionally nuanced underground hip hop.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

That's right. It's a psychedelic masterpiece.

• Music Rankings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

The swagger and boasting of The Chronic is so absurdly confident (bordering on delusional) and with such conviction that it's infectious. I forgot just how awesome that album is before I revisited it a couple days ago.