• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

I've been underrating it for a long time. It is pretty much a singular composition in the history of music; at least, I have not heard anything that sounds even remotely close to it style-wise, even by the Residents themselves.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Also, the Residents reissues are weird, because they keep messing with the mixes and adding/removing stuff for each re-release. For both MTR and NA, go with the original versions. For MTR, that is the longer, mono mix found on the original vinyl, the 1988 reissues, and the current CD issue. For NA, that is anything except the most recent CD reissue which added some new sections (I find the opening change baffling; it is clear to me that is was edited out for a reason. The additional section at the start of part 4 is great, but it and the other added instrumental sections at the end of part 3 kinda ruins the pacing.).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

Awesome! I'll be revisiting it soon! If it ever meets or tops the depth of emotional and stylistic dynamics and ritualistic breadth of the mono version of Meet the Residents, I'll be beside myself in awe. I should revisit Eskimo soon too (last listen a couple years ago it was just under 7.8+)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 3 days ago

I listened to Not Available yesterday for the first time in months and started crying halfway through. Wow.

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 week 3 days ago

There is plenty of filler on Frank Zappa "Freak Out" of Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde".

That being said it's the White Album and it's probably rock music most diverse album ranging from early metal, ska, progressive rock, sound collage, folk, country, hard rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock, classical, Disney, funk, avant garde and 50's style rock and roll.

• My Top 10 Albums   1 week 3 days ago

I would put Revolver over Pet Sounds because the songwriting is better and The Beatles didn't need to have The Wrecking Crew play on their records. I love Pet Sounds but it really lacks any rock songs to be honest and it seems to be taking the book of Phil Spector to just another level.

On the hand The Beatles were completely going away from the blues/folk/country/garage rock influences that dominated rock music at the time.

With its pounding rhythm, droning guitars, and cosmic lyrics of “Tomorrow Never Knows” laid the foundations for much of the psychedelic music that followed—and its pioneering use of loop manipulation/sampling inside the confines of a rock song was a key moment in the development of electronic and dance music.

Another thing listen "Eleanor Rigby" which basically ignores the rock band format with its string octet and vocal backing.

By the way who cares about Scaruffi thinks he is basically doesn't have a clear understanding what pop/rock music is.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul/Hip Hop] (in-progress)   1 week 3 days ago

I guess if I were to make a list of pop albums which work best as pop albums, then Abbey Road would be #1.

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 4 days ago

I agree as well.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 4 days ago

Update 6
    Schwabe continues to run unchallenged at first position. Bpchicky climbed into 5th and danvers dropped out of the 1 film per day group. Mamushka rose 2 slots with 14 films and is now, with a comparable increased, poised to move into the 1 film per day group. Ultimo Lee clambered up to join a tie with danvers at 8th. Mightysparks leaped 4 slots from 14th to 10th with 26 films logged. Laivaren even out-performed schwabe with an impressive 36 films (having attended the Kosmorama International Film Festival) rocketing from 18th to 11th place. Way to go Laivaren! Guardianryoga and Tatum logged 14 films each, but the unexpected moves of mightysparks and Laivaren precluded the rise in level we would normally for them. Sympathies, folks.

As a group we logged 281 movies over the last two weeks for a total of 1495 films. Things are a little complicated for me at present so I'm not sure if the next update will be in one or two weeks. For an update on 22 March, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 81 and 162, respectively. For an update on 29 March, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 88 and 176, respectively. Happy viewing and see you in one or two weeks!

• MOVIE PLAYLIST   1 week 4 days ago

Go on hoping...

• what misscurly read in 2015...   1 week 4 days ago

Amsterdam

The intertwined tale of Vernon and Clive, friends because of their old mutual flame Molly. When Molly dies, the two realize they actually have very little in common, and begin a campaign to destroy one another.
    Despite how interesting that sounds, it takes forever for the guys to realize how much they dislike each other, and then to do something about it. I enjoyed the last chapter, with the whirlwind trip to Amsterdam and all the freedoms provided there.

• what misscurly read in 2015...   1 week 4 days ago

Island

Huxley's detailed guide to the tenets of a perfect world, disguised as fiction. The main character is a world-hardened cynicist; a reporter who moonlights for an oil company. He becomes conveniently shipwrecked on Pala, and is welcomed by the natives and taught all about their philosophy. Unfortunately, this method of introducing the author's ideas about a perfect world is tedious to read (similar to Erewhon).

• what misscurly read in 2015...   1 week 4 days ago

Day of the Locust

Not bad. Tod, the talented artist, meditates on the disenfranchisement of middle class America. Culminating in a riot scene, he has an epiphany about all the people he knows.

• Fave Flicks   1 week 4 days ago

1. Chef
    2. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    3. The Interview
    4. Birdman
    5. Midnight in Paris

• MOVIE PLAYLIST   1 week 4 days ago

I hope you'll add more films to this list which are worth 2 stars or more, instead of just including the "mediocre" films.

• Music Log 2013-2015   1 week 5 days ago

Re: Pavilion of Dreams ... We must be listening to the exact same album!

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   1 week 5 days ago

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

I thought about this a lot but I can't decide which side is my favorite. It used to be side two (Psalm) but recently I fell so deeply in love with this album that every second of it sounds perfect. Hell, the intro alone is genius!

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   1 week 5 days ago

Awesome

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

Yeah that is a bit surprising coming from Christgau! He's always seemed pretty good at separating himself and viewing works with his idiosynchratic insight and integrity intact. Of course, there's probably an argument that he is indeed doing just that.

For all our sakes, good thing Hitler wasn't an artistic genius!

• Music Log 2013-2015   1 week 6 days ago

Oh, good 'ol Rob, we could always count on his in-depth analysis!!! Oh!!! Pun O The Day!!! What now beeyo--

Ahem, ummm, sorry about that... ;-)

• Movie Log, 2012-2015   1 week 6 days ago

Yeah, addition to all that I love how "via" the technical wonders of the film, the director becomes the "God" of the film's universe in a similar (but even more evident) fashion as Hitchcock did with his. This adds a whole extra, astonishing layer to the film that is simply too much to go into right now but to put it shortly: it grants a real purpose to all its visual tricks and camera movements that I presume was lost on the many critics that have deemed the work "technically impressive but superficial" or some variation of that. As a less important aside, I love how the film comically pays homage to Hitch by placing the main character in absurd situations (especially with the inspectors and uncle) where they're questioning his ethics/morals/professionalism while his life and the train are in legitimate danger (a clear homage to North by NW and other Hitch in-jokes in many of his films). And yes, the visual style, which merges aforementioned Tarkovsky and Welles and the precise movements/command of Hitch, is a cinema lovers dream!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

Re: No Expectations and LIV ... there was a time prior to my fairly recent Stones renaissance when Let it Bleed was possibly my 2nd favorite Stones album (behind Exile), so I completely understand...

Re: Richards and Waits ... Wow, I didn't know that. It makes a lot of sense now that you mention it!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 6 days ago

Just replayed the first side of BB on headphones at work and I must say that the gap between LIV and No Expectations might have shrunk a bit for me. BTW did you know that some of the bluesier Tom Waits tracks actually have Keith Richards on guitar?

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 6 days ago