• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 11 hours ago

Thank you, I think I might have years ago, though I'm not quite sure. Ill check it out again (or for the first time?). How do you think it compares to Roxy Music's self-titled?

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   3 weeks 14 hours ago

Yeah! One of my favorite albums I've recently heard. I especially like Mary, but the whole album is a good song cycle.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 16 hours ago

That album is a bit confused. You can hear Roxy Music, Bowie, VDGG, King Crimson, Kraftwerk, and Eno, but usually just individually. They're only occasionally mixed together into a kind of "proto-new romantic" version of post-punk. Cumulatively, to me it sounds more that they didn't know what they were doing (or that they had some holdovers from an earlier era of the band) than that they're just going for an "eclectic" way to convey an apocalyptic feeling, although several of the individual tracks are spectacular, "Dangerous Rhythm" and "I Want To Be A Machine" being the best. Their styles became more integrated (and both more punk and more electronic) on the next album, but that one is less evocative.

Man, Eno was on fire in September 1966: 801 Live, producing Ultravox, collaborating with Harmonia, and then Bowie's Low, all in that month. MVP.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 17 hours ago

Have you heard Ultravox's first album? It is incredible! Like a cross between the best aspects of Roxy Music and the New York Dolls.

• Greatest Directors   3 weeks 21 hours ago

I'm not talking about mere "tricks", I'm talking about actual in-depth illumination of concept and emotion. I'm talking about how art, any art, gains depth (you won't find a single masterpiece of emotional/conceptual depth where this isn't the case).

I love Woman Under the Influence and it doesn't need to be changed. It's a masterpiece compared to most films, but if we're talking about what would make it an 8, 8.5 or 9 on my scale: it could be much more efficiently edited and could be more emotional if more extraordinary themes/concepts were added and dealt with in amazing ways (see Zulawski's Possession, not that it would necessarily need to deal with the supernatural, but just an example of taking marital strife to a whole new level ... Or Von Trier's Breaking the Waves ... Bergman's Cries and Whispers). Though the performances are amazing in Woman Under the Influence, there's little relayed beyond them. It could be a more thoroughly immersive cinematic experience if, say, its cinematography illuminated upon the characters' states of mind or if the director employed an editing style that threw the viewer down the same rabbit hole Rowlands character was in (see Bergman's Persona for all of the above).

If you want to see another great film that utilizes a similar style as Cassavetes did, check out Bela Tarr's Prefab People. Even less glamorous, it's probably on the same level, maybe even better.

• Greatest Directors   3 weeks 22 hours ago

He's so brilliant at what he does that he doesn't need any more tricks. Point out a single aspect of A Woman Under the Influence that could be made better.

• Greatest Directors   3 weeks 23 hours ago

That's a possibility. I don't know if I'd place him above any of these but he's in the discussion. He's an especially great director of actors. Personally, I don't generally find his direction of cinematography or editing especially powerful (outside of the hyper-realism of the scenes, which can be invigorating; he is among the best at capturing the spontaneity of life/relationships/emotional breakdowns). I generally prefer directors that put a bit more artistry and depth of theme/emotion into their shots/sequences, meaning in the visuals and/or the editing/shot-to-shot composition, that adds and illuminates upon the expressions from the actors, or expounds the themes of the film, etc.

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   3 weeks 1 day ago

Nice! Jessica Bailiff :-)

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 1 day ago

Revolver update: I just revisited it last night and a probable upgrade is in order -- seemed like a 6/10 or 6.5/10. Still probably a bit too inconsistent to make 7/10, but certain songs seemed better than they have in a long time.

I'll post an evaluation of the album as soon as I can squeeze in the time.

Also, I very strongly recommend listening to the "Beatles album" I compiled on "My Amazing, Blasphemous..." list. After listening to it last night, I was blown away. It's minimally 8/10, but probably 8.3/10+ and maybe even 8.8/10+. I'll have a better grasp on it's rating after another listen or so. Anyway, it's a good example of what I feel it would take from them to make one of the higher rated albums on my list, and is obviously far superior to any of their actual albums (which begs the question of how any of those could be 9/10 if one can compile an album out of their own material that is so vastly superior to them). But the cool thing too, is that it proves (for me at least) that they could make one of the best albums of all time out of their own songs (in other words, they were capable of it with enough quality control and ambition).

• Greatest Directors   3 weeks 1 day ago

John Cassavetes needs to be here somewhere.

• The Hip Hop Phase   3 weeks 2 days ago

It's an important album and all that for sure. Also it's a damn listenable album that won't get stale if you listen to it too much. I remember a whole winter when me and the guys listened to basically nothing but Entroducing while driving around. It only got better every time.

ATLiens is crazy good. Elevators (Me & You) is my favorite joint on that. The whole thing is spectacular. If you like old school hip hop you'll probably get a kick out of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik.

• The Hip Hop Phase   3 weeks 3 days ago

ALTliens was great, I had heard any Outlast besides Aquemeni and I'm glad I checked it out.

Also I've finally started to grasp the greatness of Entroducing... It's a precursor to almost all of the instrumental hip-hop that came after, so it definitely has an important place in music history. Maybe a few more listens and I'll start to rank it as high as you do...

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   3 weeks 4 days ago

To HumanEmotions (and anyone else interested) ... Bellybutton by Jellyfish is an excellent example of a diverse, eclectic, relentlessly catchy, upbeat pop album that very clearly has (much) more emotional/conceptual depth than Revolver. Note: Although the music isn't particularly difficult, its mixture of emotions and diverse moods and orchestration may take a few listens to really sink in.

XTC's Skylarking is probably an even better album, but its even more orchestrated so might be a more apt comparison to something with a fuller sound like Sgt. Pepper, but anyway, easily surpasses Revolver. Again, that one might take a few listens to really sink in.

For any of The Beatles earlier albums or Merseybeat songs, Green's White Soul, as noted above, takes the style to a much more emotional high (with a dose of punk).

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   3 weeks 6 days ago

Much appreciated, thank you.

• Music Rankings & Notes   4 weeks 9 hours ago

First time listening to their music and I like it. Very beautiful and smooth. I'll probably get all 3 albums.

• Music Rankings & Notes   4 weeks 11 hours ago

How's the Allo Darlin album? I only know a few of the songs off their self-titled (Kiss Your Lips was great in particular)

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   4 weeks 21 hours ago

If anyone is interested in hearing an album that (imo) trounces the Beatles, listen to White Soul by Green (1989). I'd completely forgotten about this album until the other day when I remembered that I should revisit it because I never rated it. It basically merges Merseybeat and punk. It is one of the most invigorating, "feel-like-bursting-out-of-your-skin-and-declaring-your-love-for-someone" albums of all time. It answers the question of what the Beatles could've sounded like if they had played their instruments with more ferocity, played with more rhythmic dexterity and if they were led by much more all-out and unpredictable vocals (basically an example of what a pre-Sgt Pepper Beatles album could sound like if it were to meet my criteria at the level of 8/10).

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   4 weeks 21 hours ago

Ok, thanks that makes sense.

Re: Low ... You're welcome. Trust is really something, isn't it. I am a bit shocked it doesn't usually rate particularly high in their discography on other sites. Speaking of amazing slowcore albums, I strongly recommend Jessica Bailiff's self titled after revisiting it today. Its up there near Low's best.

• Favorite albums of 2016 (so far)   4 weeks 23 hours ago

Yeah, I do remember some Andy Stott and Haxan Cloak. I'll have to listen to it some more to hear the others. Thanks, I want to check out their earlier stuff too.

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   4 weeks 1 day ago

I'm in the middle of a bunch of edits on this list. For now, the top 15 are ones I'm sure are my favorites above most other albums on this list, since I've been listening to them all so much in the past few months. Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain has always been somewhat high on this list (top 30), but I have grown to like it much more recently, so I wanted to put it higher. I'm going to keep editing this list and see where things end up.

By the way, thanks so much for your recommendations about Low. I've listened to all three of those albums now, most recently Trust (possibly my favorite).

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   4 weeks 1 day ago

What does the space between #15 and the rest mean?

Has Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Capt been that high before (and I just didnt notice it) or is that a recent addition/ascension?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 weeks 1 day ago

To cuki luvz u: If I remember correctly, you (somewhat unseriously) recommended I revisit Live's Throwing Copper. Although I didnt add it to the selections, I did just re-listen to it and I would go with 6.5/10. Despite its highlights (Dam at Otter Creek, T.B.D, Stage, White Discussion) it just has a bit too many merely adequate/mediocre/solid tracks to gain the emotional significance it would need for a higher rating. They're at their best when they go for Doors-ian theatrical intensity and suspenseful build up (Dam at Otter Creek, White Discussion). The lead singer's powerful voice is perfectly suited for such displays so its unfortunate they resort to so many typical song structures and anthemic posturings (even though they're not bad at it). Iris and I Alone (recalls Heart Shaped Box a bit) and Lightning Crashes (recalls Springsteen) are all fine songs. And Waitress, while otherwise ordinary, gets pretty explosive towards the end. Wish they would've made more unrelenting, ferocious songs such as Stage, which has an intensity that recalls artists such as The Stooges. No filler and more songs like Stage, bookended with Dam at Otter Creek and White Discussion could've made up a sort of 90's Strange Days, perhaps.

• Favorite albums of 2016 (so far)   4 weeks 1 day ago

There's certainly some Thom Yorke in the vocals. At different times through the record I heard a range of influences from bands like Haxan Cloak to Sonic Youth to Swans to Andy Stott. Their 2013 albums Images du Futur has some great tracks as well. The Montreal rock scene has certainly produced a lot of great artists in the past few decades.

• Favorite albums of 2016 (so far)   4 weeks 1 day ago

Ok cool, thank you. I listened to the Suuns album and thought it was really good. Not sure what I'd rate it yet. I thought is was somewhat reminiscent of Kid A/Amnesiac period Radiohead.

• THE GREATEST MUSICAL WORKS OF ALL TIME   4 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks for sharing your experience. I find Gibbons hymns one of most precious hidden treasure in the whole music literature. I also love Gesualdo vocal works. Their harmony is so rich and audacios to foresee Wagner and late XIX century music in many way