• My Favorite Movies by Genre (Under Construction)   13 years 51 weeks ago

1976

has a lot of information on it.

• There are hundreds of lists here, and yet we only   13 years 51 weeks ago

You have confused me. In your original post you said:

An easier task with books and music than with movies, don't you think?

Now you say picking movies would be easier.

You then ask whether The Grand Illusion is endlessly re-watchable. Perhaps it isn't, perhaps it is, but a DIL isn't just what one item, but what very limited list of items, would one take to a DI. Citizen Kane might be endlessly re-watchable, but I would rather have Top Gun and Citizen Kane than just Citizen Kane.

My point is that while it is true that many movies are, as you said, "fast-food-for-the-mind" (though I disagree with the 'mind' part), so are many books and pieces of music. I don't think there is anything intrinsic about movies, as a form, and as a library, that would make picking a Desert Island List of them harder or easier.
    The book, movie and music I gave were examples only- They would be on my DIL, but not necessarily number one.
    Finally, I think that The Grand Illusion is one of the greatest movies ever made, despite
    the fact that some think that it is an anti-war movie.

• Favourite Movies By Genre (and how many I have on DVD)   13 years 51 weeks ago

Haven't seen either of those. But I think my favorite tearjerker would have to be a true story. Sure, a well-done fiction can have much the same effect, but there's plenty to cry about in the real world (and laugh about, let me add).
    Someone once said, "The world is a comedy to those who think, and a tragedy to those who feel."
    I sometimes flatter myself that I'm a thinker, so maybe that's why I'm having trouble with this genre.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 51 weeks ago

Correct!

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 51 weeks ago

Actually, no... but now that you mention it, the Lethal Weapon movies do belong under A/A (and will easily replace Die Hard.) For crime, The Sting was pretty good, but I think I like the Thomas Crown Affair (new version) better, but I still have this nagging feeling that I've forgotten something...

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 51 weeks ago

I have the soundtrack on LP and CD and possibly cassette, and the movie on VHS and DVD. I also have every album ONJ released in the US plus a few imports, and so on... 8^)

• books2BEreadMOREthanONCE.....   13 years 51 weeks ago

...what do you think of "She's Come Undone", by Wally Lamb? He's got an uncanny ability to write in the female voice. It's definitely worth 2 or 3 reads.

• Books I Read in 2000   13 years 51 weeks ago

Awesome! You read Brautigan? I just bought the Hawkline Monster and eagerly await devouring it. you've read The Abortion, right? It's my favorite thusfar.
    JENHOWELL

• Movies That Well Illustrate Action/Suspense Plot Number One   13 years 51 weeks ago

Jim, I've just finished watching VIRUS, and, as I expected, it fits the list. I'm not recommending it, mind you (I'm wary of recommending this sort of movie to you after The THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS Fiasco). To give you some idea: take a DEEP BLUE SEA-like setting (but leave out the humor, this movie has no intentional humor), add a sprinkling of ideas from some of the ALIEN series, and into the cooking pot throw a malicious alien-infested computer that has robotic and cyborg hench-things, stir in a liberal bucketful of blood and guts, and simmer at moderate warmth for about 90 minutes. This probably makes it sound better than it is. It has a better cast than it deserves: Jamie Lee Curtis, William Baldwin, and Donald Sutherland (who seems to have a soft spot for sf movies - he's been in several (e.g. INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and THE PUPPET MASTERS)). Sutherland comes close to parodying his role - you keep expecting him to burst into Old-Salt-Speak like the sea-captain on The Simpsons. Did I like it? Not much, but I've seen worse.

• Some Great SF, Fantasy, and Horror Short Stories   13 years 51 weeks ago

I don't now about "a vested interest", but I certainly have an interest. Looks like this is the book you're referring to.
    Haven't read it myself. If you scroll down the page you'll find a bunch of reviews.

Gotcha! The line between fantasy and soft SF is, of course, yours to draw. My confusion is resolved.

• Guilty Pleasures   13 years 51 weeks ago

Ha! Fantastic! I don't know if I've ever read a funnier review. I'll have to link to it from the home page.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

Jim, you are one sharp tack. Right again!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

Bingo! Great book (even in translation!), but I found the ending rather lacking. Worth reading.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

Hands on buzzers . . . "Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

There are several Hiaasen fans in residence here (myself included). Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

We must have the same translation. :) Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg.

well the only one i can think of lately is BOYS DON'T CRY....but i definitely wouldn't list that as my favorite tearjerker...do you mean specifically movies that set out to make you cry like DYING YOUNG? it's a pretty tough category...

• Movies that are as good as or better than their literary source   13 years 51 weeks ago

another "better than the book" movie is Contact, with Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey. The book was by Carl Sagan, and it trudging through his phrasing was an exercise in futility. Another great list, by the way!

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

Great list! 29. is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. 30. is The Matrix.

• soundtracks i own...   13 years 51 weeks ago

uuummmm....Pretty in Pink?? On vinyl?? how could you forget that one?!? -groovyt

• BREAK-UP MUSIC: for a boy or a girl....   13 years 51 weeks ago

YIIIIIIKES!!! HOW COULD WE FORGET THAT ONE!!!! excellent. i thought of another good one this morning...Ghost, by the Indigo Girls (it's on rights and passages). I'd say #5 would be good, too, but not on this list. ;]
    anyway, i've been checking out your other lists...i like your book lists. later...

• books2BEreadMOREthanONCE.....   13 years 51 weeks ago

so glad to see Owen Meany up top (even tho it's in no particular order)...amazing book! i'm in the middle of A Widow for One Year, his latest. it's incredible. good choice, as is Roald Dahl (but i'd put James and the Giant Peach up, too). I am in complete agreement with the previous statements about ayn rand (her status being wholly undeserved). but i'm glad you liked the fountainhead. check out Anthem; it's another or her books that i don't agree with, but you might find it interesting....

• THE CONTENTS OF MY VIDEO LIBRARY WOULD BE...(if i had my own VCR, that is)   13 years 51 weeks ago

hey girl, it's groovytune. so how about Say Anything??? or Dead Again? one of my absolute faves (and yes...it's probably forgettable to many) is Mannequin! Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall back in the day! She's now on "Sex and the City", but what ever happened to him? Je ne sais pas. Fight Club is an excellent choice, BTW. a movie that marie can't seem to live without is Cruel Intentions. it's an EXCELLENT modern remake of Dangerous Liasons, and if you haven't seen it, make a beeline to your Blockbuster but quick. :) -groovytune

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

I never really considered first lines that important until my wife's comment. Frankly, some of my favorite books have rather unexciting first lines, so I hate to consider people judging books by them. However, I do realize that, unless you have already heard of the book or author, you just don't have too much to go on when considering whether or not to read a book, so I can understand using the first line as a factor. I am definitely much more interested in first lines now than I used to be.