• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   14 years 21 weeks ago

My declaration of hating Ernest Hemingway is based upon having read only Farewell to Arms and several short stories. Consequently, my judgement is quite superficial. It is premature to say that I hate him, I should have said that of the few things I've read by him, well, I did not like them. Why? His style is very simplistic and straight forward which does not disturb me so much. My problems with Hemingway stem from the ideas he presents in his stories. The themes of manly honour, courage, sacrifice are all highly valued and stressed throughout and I disagree with much that he has to say on these subjects. Of course, this is NOT a problem with his talent and skill in presenting a story, its just the way in which he views certain things that disturbs me. I'm hoping that this coming summer I'll be able to read some more Hemingway so that I can get a better feel for his works. I'll probably end up reading For Whom the Bell Tolls.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

That's it! Great job!

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

#19 is from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart. Right?

• Accessible Science   14 years 21 weeks ago

I'm just curious about a comparison between Pinker and Eliot. I've read both Pinker books and greatly enjoyed them and learned a great deal from them. How would Eliot's book fit in? Does it follow the same school of thought? Does it complement or fill in gaps of the Pinker books?

• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   14 years 21 weeks ago

I am curious as to what it is about Hemingway that you don't like. I've only read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and, granted, I read it for it's description of the Spanish Civil War mostly, but I found the book to be good. The only thing I really didn't like was his way of writing somewhat formal English when the speaker was supposed to be speaking Spanish. But, I thought the story was good and the insight into the war was good as well.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

#8 CITIZEN KANE, #16 BLAZING SADDLES.

• curiosity may lead me...   14 years 21 weeks ago

Whew!

For what it's worth, it was Hartley's first film, and being polite, I'll simply say it isn't my favorite movie by him.

• curiosity may lead me...   14 years 21 weeks ago

no need to apologize--i'm particularly appreciative of random knowledge. so thanks!

• 0034: Favorite Cover Versions   14 years 21 weeks ago

"Money" was originally performed by Barrett Strong, and was one of the first, if not the first, singles released by a fledgling label by the name of Motown in the very late 50s.

Johnny Waco

• Favorite Albums   14 years 21 weeks ago

As Willy Wonka says in "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory:" Scratch that, reverse that. "Road Rage" is actually on "Equally Cursed and Blessed," which I remembered with small embarassment on a recent spin of the CD. My friend made me a copy of the first two albums, and I obviously got them confused. This should rectify my mistake.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

You've got the right idea (and the right Bond), but the film is incorrect. You're so close, however, since this film is basically a remake of Thunderball.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

13. Bond, James Bond. I think the movie is Thunderball but not sure. I know some of the others but i will leave them for others.

Jim

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

Correct on all three!

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

#3 Albert Brooks in Broadcast News. One of the great flicks of that decade. I think it was the 80's

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 21 weeks ago

On first search. 17. Bruce Willis Pulp Fiction. 6. Cary Grant Bringing up Baby

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 21 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim!

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 21 weeks ago

Totally bizarre. I restored from backup, but I don't know how it happened. Redesign is coming by the end of the month, and it's a rewrite from the ground up. So hopefully the old bugs got lost in the transition, and we can deal with new, exciting bugs instead. :-)

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

I've already posted it, and yes, Nobody's Fool fared well.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

The IMDb was my reference as well. So we don't have independent confirmation.

Happy news about the Bruce Willis list - I trust Nobody's Fool will fare well.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

There we go!

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 22 weeks ago

#35 is Stuart by the Dead Milkmen

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

I know I was going to let other answers some but I cant resist #12-Wild Bunch one of my favorites.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

And the IMDB agrees with you. I'll fix the quote immediately. Thanks.

And your mentioning Nobody's Fool reminds me that I have an ultimate guide to Bruce Willis films I've been meaning to post. I'll work on that during my lunch hour here.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

Ah, got it now but I had to cheat. In my reference the quote is: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 22 weeks ago

Good film, wasn't it? Following on the heels of Pulp Fiction, everyone should now realize that Bruce Willis can indeed act, when he wants to.

Huge hint: the quote is from a Western.