• Ten Seriously Funny Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

Regarding Sturges, Lady Eve is one of my all time favorite comedies, and Sullivan's Travels is also great. I still have not seen MofMC yet, but I will definitely take your recommendation.

• pike's movies of the nineties list   14 years 10 weeks ago

Extremely solid list. I especially like seeing Short Cuts, Before Sunrise, and Heavenly Creatures so high. You don't seem too keen on action or sci fi, besides 12 Monkeys. Also, seeing Lion King on the list would have led me to assume a second animated Disney: Beauty & the Beast or Toy Story.

• In a rare moment of Friday evening spontaneity (ra   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yes it was a surprise.

• My All Time Favorite Movies (not in any order)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Obviously you are a huge Audrey Hepburn fan. Have you seen Charade, Wait Until Dark, Love in the Afternoon, and The Nun's Story? Personally, Charade and Roman Holiday are my favorite Hepburn movies although the others are wonderful as well.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

You're not a pain. Actually, I appreciate you keeping me honest. Otherwise I start thinking lazily.

• Since The Listology is so highly cross-referenced   14 years 10 weeks ago

[Please note that some of the URLs below are broken into multiple lines for readability. In real life, URLS have no line breaks or spaces in them, so keep that in mind when creating your own links.]

Here is a template for a basic link:

<A HREF="[URL of page to link to]">[descriptive text]</A>

So to create a link, you type the bold stuff above, put the URL you want to link to between
    the quotes, and put the descriptive text that you would like to display in the link between the
    <A HREF="..."> and </A>.

So if you wanted to link to The Listology home page, all you'd type is this:

<A HREF="http://www.listology.com">The Listology</A>

This would result in this link: The Listology.

Linking to a list is just as easy. Just navigate to the list you want to link to, copy the URL
    of the list, and then paste it into the link you are trying to create like so:

<A href="http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm?content_id=2447">>Favorite Movies by Genre</A>

This would result in this link: Favorite Movies by Genre.

Linking to search results is also easy. Just use the template below, filling in your
    search terms.

<A href="http://www.listology.com/search_results.cfm?search_txt=&search_genre_id=1">[search words]">[descriptive text]</A>

The only weird thing here is that if you want to search against multiple words, you have to
    put plusses between the words instead of spaces. So if you wanted to create a link to "Guilty Pleasures" lists, you'd type this:

<A href="http://www.listology.com/search_results.cfm?search_txt=guilty+pleasures&search_genre_id=1">>the "guilty pleasures" lists</A>

This would result in this link: the "guilty pleasures" lists.

Feel free to post questions below.

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

"I saw something nasty in the woodshed." Yes, I agree that Cold Comfort Farm is an underrated British comedy. Most people shy away from British comedies because they either believe that they won't understand the dialogue or they believe that British humor is too culturally different. It finally took a movie like Full Monty to open people's eyes. However, if Full Monty were an American film, it would have grossed over $100 million like American Pie did.

• foreign movies I liked   14 years 10 weeks ago

Since you liked both LIB and Johnny S, you should catch Monster which is a HYSTERICAL film by Roberto Benigni.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

Reverse discrimination comes to TL. Bring it on :-)

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

Sorry, Jim, don't mean to be a pain - it's my training in philosophy that makes me a bit pedantic sometimes. When you do philosophy at uni, your instructor is liable to jump from a great height on the slightest contradiction or illogicality in your essays. Rigorous thinking is extremely important to philosophers.

But, hey, if you catch me out in sloppy thinking (as you already have once or twice) you can take pleasure in jumping on it from a great height - but don't forget your parachute.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

I think a seperate list is an excellent idea

• Favorite Movies by Genre a la Jim - my version   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hey Dave . . . Care to weigh in on whether or not "Black & White" counts as a genre over here?

• Favorite Dramas   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yes, it made a big impression on me because it seemed to go well with my pet theory about philosophy. If you like, you can read my review of it in the 'Author Comments' section of this page.

• Favorite Film of 62 Sub-Genres   14 years 10 weeks ago

:) I thought about making my birthyear the cutoff for my personal definition of "classic" and then realized that would eventually make for some awfully old "modern" movies someday.

• Favorite Film of 62 Sub-Genres   14 years 10 weeks ago

I thought the criterion might have been "Classic = movies made before I was born."

See that, Jim: this youngster is calling movies made before you were born 'classic'. He'd probably call movies made before I was born 'archaic' :-D

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

For that matter, what do the rest of you think of this . . . More slots, or a separate list?

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

Can't you just let me flit about aimlessly without demanding so must thought and precision on my part? "I know a classic when I see it." :-)

I would have to say a movie is a classic if it's 20 years or older.

Meanwhile, I am strongly considering ditching B&W as a genre. I'll have to figure out where to put Dr. Strangelove though.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yep, that's it. Rather an attention-getting one, don't you think?

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 10 weeks ago

Of her other books, I preferred Beauty (a fractured fairy tale novel) and Singer from the Sea. I also enjoyed Six Moon Dance. I found Grass very dark and somewhat disturbing (though all of hers are somewhat dark). If you found A Plague of Angels even tolerable, you would enjoy those first two a lot, I think. I have not read Shadow's End yet, so I can't comment on that one.

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

Good point. I do take some consolation in the fact that American Pie wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

• Great Musical Numbers in Non-Musical Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

I bet UncRoger is kicking himself for not adding the Ferris Beuller numbers when he kicked off the list. :-)

• Ten Seriously Funny Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yes, and unfortunately I've never met up with the two you mention. Good luck to both of us.

• In a rare moment of Friday evening spontaneity (ra   14 years 10 weeks ago

That's good to hear. My brother-in-law quoted a review that described it as Little Das Boot That Could. And while that statement was tongue-in-cheek, I think the review was generally positive.

• foreign movies I liked   14 years 10 weeks ago

I hadn't even heard of that one.. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Hottest Actresses   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'm glad you amended that, because I was about to say something. However, although Harvey Keitel's naked body is not the most attractive, he's a very good actor, and a very thoughtful one. (I saw him on Inside Actor's Studio) So be nice to Harvey!