• Best Self Love Song   14 years 23 weeks ago

I will add this right away.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 23 weeks ago

I haven't heard this one, but I will investigate.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 23 weeks ago

In my humble opinion, I would think that Resevoir Dogs could be added to this list. Having seen Tarantino's other films before this one I expected to find a great deal of violence in it but found it unwatchable after watching one of the crooks pour gasoline over a cop and then cut off his ear--on screen! yuck! Fascinating to watch? Yes--Disturbing as well? God yes.

• Top ten Hollywood Director's if you made the list in 1960   14 years 23 weeks ago

Andy Griffith was great in a Face in the Crowd. It is a shame he became so stereotyped. He really could act.

Great job on the new entries. I could not agree more with your comments concerning Hitchcock. My wife and I have both discussed how much the content restraints he worked under seemed to improve his films. One viewing of one of his later works where he had no such restraints (say, Frenzy) shows how much his powers of suggestive suspense flowered under the code limiting how much violence and sex he could actually show on screen.

Again, great list!

• Recently Seen Movies - With Comments, But No Spoilers   14 years 23 weeks ago

Just saw Fight Club recently. Hmmm...what is one to make of it? It does speak to a generation but the philosophy that Tyler Durden spouts sounds like so much Nietzsche. I get the feeling that the angst that these men are experiencing leads them to behave the way they do--and I do use the word "men" loosely. Angst is the quality often attributed to teenagers-and these nutcases in this flick sure seem to act like little boys.

• The 15 Greatest Science Fiction Films   14 years 23 weeks ago

Alien goes on about 30 minutes too long. I like Aliens better, and it wasn't very close to getting on this list itself.

Stalker is a Russian film. Here is a good description I stole from IMDB.

Near a gray and unnamed city is The Zone, an alien place guarded by barbed wire and soldiers. Over his wife's strenuous objections, a man rises in the dead of night: he's a stalker, one of a handful who have the mental gifts (and who risk imprisonment) to lead people into The Zone to The Room, a place where one's secret hopes come true. That night, he takes two people into The Zone: a popular writer who is burned out, cynical, and questioning his genius; and, a quiet scientist more concerned about his knapsack than the journey. In the deserted Zone, the approach to The Room must be indirect. As they draw near, the rules seem to change and the stalker faces a crisis.

It is very abstract. It is also much more thoughtful than the average science fiction film. The visual imagery is amazing. I highly recommend Stalker to anyone who likes pondering over his / her science fiction.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 23 weeks ago

I am wondering if one could add Raiders of the Lost Ark and King Solomon's Mines to this list? If Indiana Jones isn't the side clone of Alan Quartermain, then the Flinstones aren't a takeoff on the Honeymooner's (but that would have to be a different list.) Not that Raiders isn't a superior film--it is.

• themed compilation: rain   14 years 23 weeks ago

I nominate Bob Dylan's A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall and Ric Alba's Rain in Amsterdam. (Yeah, nobody but's me heard the last one, but it is terrific!)

Fun list!

• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   14 years 23 weeks ago

Henry terrified me like few films have been able to, I will give you that one easily. But what do you think about Evil Dead?

I fear that I must disagree. True, Night of the Living Dead was not a gore fest like many current "horror" films seem to be, but is its strength. I still have nightmares over that film and watch it whenever it comes on TV--and I hate horror films!

• Favorite Law and Order Detective   14 years 23 weeks ago

I like that character as well. I never watched Homicide very much, but I'm glad they were able to bring that character over. I think that my second favorite, though, is a toss up between Rey and Elliot.

• Best Director of all Time   14 years 23 weeks ago

I find it hard to believe that you place directors like Quentin Tarantino on here(although I love his films) yet you omit very influential and great directors from the silent era, such as Griffith, Murnau...

• Favorite Law and Order Detective   14 years 23 weeks ago

I had to pick John Munch out of respect for Homicide, the show that spawned the character. Marvelous show.

• best of cartoon series   14 years 23 weeks ago

Nice list. :) Some that I would add would include classic Scooby Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, the Transformers, and classic Super Friends.

• Least Favorites   14 years 23 weeks ago

What I liked about From Dusk Till Dawn was the juxtaposition between the violence in the first half and the second half. In the first half, there isn't a whole lot of actual violence shown, but it is very brutal and made me cringe. Sort of a Resevoir Dogs kind of violence. In the second half, there is much more violence, but in the action movie kind of way, violence that I almost cheered for and was definitely amused by. It was just interesting to me to see the reactions to the different kinds of violence and how the glorified violence of the second half didn't bother me at all, but the more gritty violence in the first half really got to me.

• Top Movies   14 years 23 weeks ago

I liked Dark City a lot more than it seems most people did as well. I think that the story was more interesting, like you said, than The Matrix and that it's perception on what is reality more thought provoking. Maybe that's because all of the effects in The Matrix didn't give enough time to think about the plot.

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 23 weeks ago

Why do you consider the Lord of the Rings to be a children's story? I can see The Hobbit, but the Lord of the Rings seems to be something much more complex and deep than the typical children's story. I'm just curious about your thoughts.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 23 weeks ago

36: Paul Simon, Graceland.

• Albums to Buy   14 years 23 weeks ago

We just got the O Brother soundtrack. Very good stuff. I'm considering buying some more of the guy who sang I am a man of constant sorrow. If anyone has recommendations of other up-tempo blue grass in the same vein as that song, I'd love to hear from you.

• 0017: The Science Fiction Film Hall of Fame (1900-2000)   14 years 23 weeks ago

If you won't shoot me, I'll admit that I don't really care that much for Fantastic Voyage, nor do I believe its influence demands it a place on the list.

If, however, you would shoot me, I simply claim I forgot about the film and will add it whenever I get around to updating this list... ;)

Sorry!

• 10 Books i'll never get tired of   14 years 23 weeks ago

Hitchhikers Guid is a great book glad to see it on your list.

• Best Movies According To Me   14 years 23 weeks ago

I agree A Fish Called Wanda is one of my favorite Comedies.

• All time favoites   14 years 23 weeks ago

Very good list. I loved these movies also.

I was wondering why Fantastic Voyage wasn't on the list.

• Books read in 2001   14 years 24 weeks ago

I got bogged down toward the end, but it was pretty interesting. I normally don't read a lot of biography. And it was definitely a bio of Galileo - including letters from his daughter was pretty much just the attention-getting gimmick for the book. Not that those letters didn't provide a lot of interest, and illumination of his life.

And she appears to have been an interesting woman, though not a whole lot is said about her life (though I don't think much CAN be said of a cloistered nun in the 17th century).