• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

Hey, wait a minute, don't I know you...
    ;)

• CC00001: The Beatles   14 years 20 weeks ago

Let me look into this. Compared to the number of good sources I have for rock, pop, soul, blues, reggae, and jazz (Yes, I'm working on Miles Davis, which is a delight and a chore), I have about 83% of the sources for classical music. Additionally, most classical sources I have tend to divide works up by composer, not performer, which could make Gould very difficult. I'll get cracking on this, but forgive me if it takes awhile.

Great suggestion.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

Well, if lots of people didn't dig it, it would hardly be over-rated, eh?

Thanks for the great comments.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

Correct on both accounts, although I'm afraid I need the song title to give you number 1.

• Movies I got to watch when I was under 15 that I probably shouldn't have   14 years 20 weeks ago

DaveDelv -- does your mother know about these???

• The Future Soundtrack to the Future Movie Based On My In-Progress Novel   14 years 20 weeks ago

This list is a great concept, but the question is . . . is this novel an autobiography? Is this the music that defines you or simply songs that match some work of fiction? Defining the soundtrack to your life sounds like a fun project. . .

• Top three dumb (but cute) movies with Steve Martin   14 years 20 weeks ago

Steve Martin is one of those guys who has made a living out of playing basically one character, but I've always enjoyed his work. For example, I always enjoyed Parenthood, filmed in Orlando during the time I was attending the University of Central Florida. And some of his late seventies - early eighties comedies like The Jerk, and All of me w/Lily Tomlin, are classics.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 20 weeks ago

Ah, now I know it, but since I only know it from the clue you gave, I'm not guessing. Good choice!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 20 weeks ago

HINT re. #58: This novel was filmed in 1907, 1925, and, most famously, in 1959.

• Plays I Dislike   14 years 20 weeks ago

I actually have to admit that I haven't seen Miss Saigon, I have only heard the CD, which I really like. It may be that if I had seen it it would be better in my head, too

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliments. I love our discussions; we may not always agree, but it is very refreshing to discuss art with someone who seems to be seeking the same qualities (and quality) as one's self. I await your over-rated list!

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

I had to check out this list after you alluded to it on one of mine. Even though we have had some limited debate about films and whatnot, we seem to agree generally about what a good film is and is not. I really like this list, especially including the explanations afterward, that I am going to steal your idea (ironic, for that is what I detest the most about the state of film and music and art - not being original) and do my own "Most Overrated films," to be created later. I look forward to seeing what your comments may be when it is completed.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

C'mon lbangs. You are slamming the sacred cow for teenage girls of the 70's. It was cheezy & predictable, but that's not always a bad thing...lots of us (girls in particular) really enjoyed this!

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

"Shakespeare in Love" is great for insomia - it put me right to sleep!

• A Random Mix of Recommended Books   14 years 20 weeks ago

and I third..

• CC00001: The Beatles   14 years 20 weeks ago

Here's a suggestion: the recordings of Glenn Gould.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

#1 Chagall Chavuerra(I can't spell it off te top of my head, but I believe Steve Taylor wrote the lyrics).

13--Velvet Underground ("Heroine") (jon)

• 0001. Books I Love   14 years 20 weeks ago

I like the eclectic list--from the Bible to Bangs! I'd have to add Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, Dostoevsky's The Idiot, Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood, and Cervante's Don Quixote. (jon)

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

I meant Once Upon a Time... and not How the West Was Won. Sorry! (jon) Another brief note: I'm almost certain the adult version of 2001 would utilize the rolling donut much more effectively than the original version.

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

"Be with you in a minute, Mr. Peabody" is oe of the great lines I can still remember from Bringing up Baby--one of the best comedies in the twentieth century. However, I must disagree on 2001 as a movie for a top ten, even though it defined much of the science fiction genre. I can't seem to enjoy a donut rolling in space as much as I still enjoy the primitive space invaders, asteroids, and, of course, pong. And what about that amazing harmonica in How the WEst... which so well establishes the mood and scene of the movie. What about "M"? (jon)

• CC00002: Nirvana   14 years 20 weeks ago

P.S. - What are others' thoughts on this? Should MTV Unplugged be listed first? I may come off as quite adamant, but I can indeed be persuaded...

All input, especially on recommendation order (the ratings are rather set, being a consensus of critics) is welcome and desired.

• CC00002: Nirvana   14 years 20 weeks ago

There are times I personally believe the unplugged disc to be their best; I prefer many of the unplugged versions of their songs to the studio versions.

Nevermind received the top recommendation simply because most people come to the album already knowing several songs from it, thus making it quite accessible. If Nevermind had never broke, I would completely agree with you. In a couple of years, I may.

I am also trying to keep the top rated discs near the top of the list; if a buyer starts with a masterpiece, they may not undervalue the band, which is always a danger if one starts with a lesser disc. (On a light note, I had a friend who for years believed he hated Dylan because Slow Train Coming was the first disc he ever heard by him; it took years of my prodding to get him to buy another, and now he's a fanatic! Of course, Nirvana's MTV Unplugged is a much better disc than Slow Train...)

Thanks for the great comments.

• Favorite Directors' Movies I Like the Most   14 years 20 weeks ago

Minor note: Smoke was directed by Wayne Wang, although Jim does have a cameo in Smoke's sequel-of-sorts, Blue in the Face.

• CC00002: Nirvana   14 years 20 weeks ago

From a critical perspective, I think this list and ratings are right on. But from a "purchasing order" perspective, I'd probably argue that "MTV Unplugged in New York" is the most accessible.

• CC00001: The Beatles   14 years 20 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim! I no doubt will post my sources as soon as I finish fine-tuning this process and standardize things a bit. I'll also have to type down the many bookmarked sites I incorporate with the published critics I am using.

Yesterday I completed Nirvana, which I have posted. I am anticipating and dreading The Beach Boys; their body of work is huge and, outside of Pet Sounds, lacks much critical consensus. I am very curious to see which albums float to the top.

I hope to begin a similar directors' series as well.