• Movies that made me Cry (a lot)   14 years 24 weeks ago

"THE Man in the Moon" and "Man in the Moon" are very different movies :P Sorry, I'm a nitpicker!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

I do not say this very often, but I am about as impressed as I ever get right now. Correct on all, and a personal congratulations on a sterling job!

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

The title is in the quote! Great song, great job.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Yes. Great job!

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Well, you can give me the money, I'll dish the fame off to someone else. Perhaps a figurehead to be assassinated! [Stop me before I start making sense]

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Nothin' but olives. Mountain of olives. It was a good ten days--I like olives. [!] I love it!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Emerson, Lake, and PALMER :)

• Sorry about my conspicuous (at least to Bertie :-)   14 years 24 weeks ago

Ah! good to hear from you. We were starting to worry, weren't we guys? (Is that the chirping of crickets I can hear?)

Well, as long as it's only a change of jobs and nothing serious :-D

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Thanks!

I'm clueless on the rest of these, though.

#48 sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

I'm new to this. What do the (G:) and (S:) designators stand for when LBangs notates the answers?

MarkW

• Some Classical essentials and what to know about them.   14 years 24 weeks ago

I don't know how much controversy you're expecting, but my experience has been that classical or 'serious' music lists don't attract much attention around here. But I'm one Listologist who appreciates what you're trying to do here.

Do I have any quibbles? Well, I always thought the term was 'motif' rather than 'motive'.

Looking forward to your Beethoven list, and to the continuation of this one.

If your computer has a sound card you'll probably know that much classical music is available free as MIDI files (works best for keyboard music). If by chance you haven't experienced MIDI music yet, try the links at my music lists - some of them still work, I think.

• difficult to watch but must-see movies   14 years 24 weeks ago

How about "Revenge". Kevin Costner in his earlier years stars in this film about the love for another friends wife. Great acting with twists and suspense. It is actually a great movie in contrast to "The Postman" and others that just plain sucked.

• difficult to watch but must-see movies   14 years 24 weeks ago

Check out "Swept in from the Sea". Incredable movie, but will break your heart.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Totally cool lyric choices from some of my favorite albums and artists. Let's see if I can fill in some of the blanks.

#2 is Lipstick Vogue by Elvis Costello from This Year's Model.

#5 is Jerusalem by Dan Bern. (Kudos to a curious coworker for knowing this one).

#23 is Sign O' The Times by Prince from Sign O' The Times.

#25 is Higher Than the Sun by Primal Scream from Screamadelica.

#31 is I'd Like That by XTC from Apple Venus (v1).

#34 is John the Baptist by the Afghan Whigs from 1965.

#35 is Burning of the Midnight Lamp by Hendrix from Electric Ladyland.

#36 is Astral Weeks by Van Morrison from Astral Weeks.

#39 is Weather With You by Crowded House from Woodface.

#42 is I'm Gonna Set My Foot Down by Buddy Holly. Not a clue what album it's from. (God bless my annoying college roommate for quoting this line all of the time).

#47 is Fool's Gold by The Stone Roses from Turns into Stone. (Brain bleeding after remembering this one).

That is all. I need to rest for the next week to recover.

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 24 weeks ago

I have to go look in the book-- I have no recollection of this, but I read the book a long time ago-- and its not really something I want to read twice.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Oh, don't worry about me... I'm not in this for the money and fame :)

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

#13 Who could forget... I'm a Boy by the Who.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

#3 is from Bennie and the Jets by Elton John/Bernie Taupin

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 24 weeks ago

Yeah, and here's something on The Rule of Three in Comedy. But I don't see how it fits my favorite short joke, which goes:

A horse walked into a bar. The barman said, "Why the long face?"

Wait a minutute, that breaks up into three phrases, doesn't it!

• Read Before 2001   14 years 24 weeks ago

make that 59.

• Read Before 2001   14 years 24 weeks ago

oops.. feeling like an idiot here :)

I've read a couple of other PKD books, Androids is probably more accessible than a lot of his works, which are more of a personal psychological profile in some senses than novels.

• Read Before 2001   14 years 24 weeks ago

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is the book the movie Bladerunner is based on. I'd say it's better than the movie. (though it's been awhile since I've read it)

• Read Before 2001   14 years 24 weeks ago

Both are good books. If I had to choose between the two I'd pick Stranger in a Strange Land. I've only read 2 of PKD's books so I don't know how "Android" compares to his others. Robert Heinlein is one of my very favorite authors and that is probably the first book I read of his. To be cliche...a classic of the genre! ;-)

• books i bought and have yet to read.   14 years 24 weeks ago

Watch out for Moby Dick, it's terrible. I never was able to get into the flow of the prose and I didn't find the story all that great. I did enjoy some of the characters, such as Ahab.

• Read Before 2001   14 years 24 weeks ago

How was the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Also could you comment on Stranger in a Strange Land, I've wanted to read it for a while now.

• FIFENA1. [Past] Narrative Feature Films: 1999   14 years 24 weeks ago

Hi, sebreg!

Thanks for the comments.

I liked Three Kings because (not necessarily in this order):

1. It had interesting cinematography.

2. It was funny.

3. It was serious.

4. It portrayed both good and bad Middle Easterners instead of the stereotypes that Hollywood typically uses.

Obviously there's no right answer. But the majority of the reviewers liked it according to Rotten Tomatoes.

As far as Virgin Suicides and Magnolia go I might end up revaluating them when I re-watch in the future. But typically I vote on the movie right after I get home from the theater and Virgin Suicides blew me away and Magnolia left me a little empty so those score are my first impressions basically.