• horrible horror/please add to this list of bombs   14 years 22 weeks ago

i was referring to the scare tactics Jen, not the originality of the plot. These movies are bad.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 22 weeks ago

While I haven't seen Red Planet, I'm sure it and Mission to Mars belong here. Which was better might be a tough call. M2M was not good (not even close) and the reviews for RP are pretty damning.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Worth Watching Through The Credits   14 years 22 weeks ago

i totally sit through the credits...not only because i generally want to find something out (who sings that song? or where did i see that person before?) i also think it's a good time to reflect on the experience--even if it's in a foreign language.

to add to your list, though--don't forget Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

• top 10 directors ever   14 years 22 weeks ago

Notable Exceptions From This List: Charlie Chaplin, Frank Capra, Akira Kurosawa, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, Steven Spielberg

• horrible horror/please add to this list of bombs   14 years 22 weeks ago

Wait, you're talking about Candyman, Phantasm and Wishmaster as UNoriginal? Dude! I personally don't remember any of those three containing many cliches at all. And as far as concepts - Candyman (an original urban legend created out of this movie, which now has a life of its own, referencing issues of racism and modern urban poverty) Phantasm (possibly the weirdest horror movie EVER! A tall man who controls armies of jawa-like dwarves!?!?) Wishmaster (the typical genie turned on its head, into an evil threat)

As for the Sleepaway Camp series, that series is more or less a parody of the genre way before Scream and Scary Movie broke that ground. And let me say, it works very well, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Sorry, but you're picking on my favorites.

And as for Final Destination - it was mildly entertaining, but I believe has zero rewatchability. And as for the acting, dialogue, and frankly scare factor - pshaw.

• top 10 directors ever   14 years 22 weeks ago

Spielberg instead of Wilder?!?!?!?!

• Offbeat, Sleepers, or Just Pleasant Surprises, Tier Two   14 years 22 weeks ago

I was quite surprised how great The Professional was. This is a real action hero that isn't invincible.We actually care what happens to Leon. An action film with a real story and believable characters. One of my favorites Jim.

• THE MOVIE GAME   14 years 22 weeks ago

Ed Harris is the obvious choice, but he can get our fanny out of the fryer later, so I'll save him. Howsabout Sam Shepard?

• horrible horror/please add to this list of bombs   14 years 22 weeks ago

so did i.Not bad.

• horrible horror/please add to this list of bombs   14 years 22 weeks ago

I quite liked the recent Final Destination. Hard to be completely original, but this was a good shot.

• top 10 directors ever   14 years 22 weeks ago

Spielberg should be in there. I guess I'll have to bump Lumet.

• horrible horror/please add to this list of bombs   14 years 22 weeks ago

These movies over use the over used schock treatment. when it's dark, raining and a girl alone is walking around a corner, she's gonna get it. I'm ready for someone to get original again.

• horrible horror/please add to this list of bombs   14 years 22 weeks ago

All I can do when I look at your list of worst horror movies is scream in agony. Primarily, I think maybe as a judge of horror movies your expecting them to be good as films. As in objectively containing quality as art. When I look at horror movies, I see those that could be weighed against films, and then I see those that should be looked at only as vehicles for entertainment, amusement or scariness. On this basis I don't think WISHMASTER (interesting concept, not bad acting), PHANTASM (even Entertainment Weekly rated it in its top 25 so I'm not alone), SLEEPAWAY CAMP (SOOOOOO Funny and entertaining!), CANDYMAN (One of the scariest horror movies there is with GREAT acting by Virginia Madsen) or ARMY OF DARKNESS (self-evident) belong on this list. If you're talking horror FILMS, maybe. But horror MOVIES? C'mon and give the genre a break! As to actually really bad and in no way having any merit - TRILOGY OF TERROR II, PINOCHIO'S REVENGE, THE LATTER FRIDAY THE 13th's (as in after IV), Nightmare on Elm Street VI: Freddy's Dead, Urban Legends all come to mind, and I'm sure if I pick my brain there will be quite a few more.
    One more agonized plea however - Can you honestly say you weren't at all entertained, amused or scared by the movies on your list which I've picked out? Cause movies are supposed to entertain and the only way I think they can be called bad is if they fail in that purpose. If you call something a "film" on the other hand, there's a different story. Even there, however, Phantasm and Candyman definitely have their merits. The acting in Candyman and the cinematography in both have a lot of merit.

• Movies that made me Cry (a lot)   14 years 22 weeks ago

I have now seen the Sixth Sense and I WAS SO SURPRISED!!! I didn't predict the ending at all, so a nice enjoyable movie for me. (And whoever thinks that Bruce Willis is not a good actor should see that movie. Perhaps it is related to the actors playing disabled/unusual/mentally retarded people getting more accolades than those who play "normal"?)

• Another lyric list   14 years 22 weeks ago

And #88 is All I want to Do-- Sheryl Crow

• Another lyric list   14 years 22 weeks ago

Just realized the song I was thinking of has the line "I LOVE coffee and I LOVe tea-- so number one is really Run-Around by Blues Traveler.

• My Favorite Things to Read   14 years 22 weeks ago

PS Richard III is my one of my favorite Shakespeares, and I think one of the most compelling performed...

• My Favorite Things to Read   14 years 22 weeks ago

Winesburg Ohio is by Sherwood Anderson (98% sure off the top of my head). You did spell Prufrock correctly. I fear I am an old-style English major. I'm not sure if no one cares how to spell anymore, or we are just careless on the internet...

I did not mean that as an insult to anyone, though... just sort of sounding off. one of my jobs in answering e-mails of college students, and sometimes I can barely read them...

Great list, however. I do like most of these (although The Heart of Darkness is a little TOO deep into darkness for me to enjoy reading {though a good book})

I always sit through the credits. I believe its mostly because I was trained in theatre, and think that all those "backstage" people deserve to have me see their name. I also know what most of the wierd things (like gaffers and greensmen) are, so I think it is more interesting to me.

• movies I really ought to see sometime   14 years 22 weeks ago

you should see them all. I'm glad you have an interest in all the classics. Its good and bad you haven't seen any. Bad because you've missed out this long. Good, because you get to watch them for the first time with the freshness that i miss.

• Crappy Bands/Artists that I don't see why kids like them.   14 years 22 weeks ago

not only are these bands overrated oUwilmo,but they actually have no rating. Horrible music comes from these losers. Nice list!

• Top 20 Songs of the Eighties   14 years 22 weeks ago

a very balanced list. I dont see any hip hop or rap. Maybe because there was so little of that genre in the eighties that was worth a shit.

• 10 Artists/Groups I wish I had never heard   14 years 22 weeks ago

impressive list my brother. lets see how about STRYPER, GUNS AND ROSES,MICHAEL BOLTON, KENNY G. Now there's a gaggle of idiots!!!

• My Favorite Things to Read   14 years 22 weeks ago

Flannery O'Conner is one of my favorite writers! I can't remember the name of the author off hand, but if you like that type of writing, and strangely grotesque characters, Winesburg, Ohio is a good read.

Also, the TS Eliot poem is J. Alfred Prufrock, not Purdock, though it's a tough name to remember anyway. I doubt if I spelled it correctly.... and the ladies come and go, speaking of michaelangelo...

I usually can't stand sitting through the credits but have several friends who insist on it.