• Favorite Actors   14 years 21 weeks ago

But of course... For some reason, I always get those two mixed up. Sorry 'bout that!

• My Movie Links   14 years 21 weeks ago

Yeah, I agree with you there. But check out Carfax,s links. Some awesome sights.

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 21 weeks ago

From my few listens of the album, I can definitely relate to your comments about Songs in the Key of Life. That album has some terrific songs on it, even if it also contains some less than stellar work.

My positive opinion about you still stands, even if I love Murmur and Automatic for the People. I'm not a fan of everything REM has produced.

I do like the Temptations quite a bit, but millions of albums, 100 slots... sigh.

Gasoline Alley is also an excellent disc, and it was on my original 200 album list I cut down to these 100 albums.

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 21 weeks ago

"Songs in the Key of Life" could have been top 20 if he had made it only one album. Editing, Editing, Editing...

I would think the Temptations Anthology should be there somewhere. Take out the REM stuff, pretentious preening that it is..

I am sure that will lessen any positive opinions you may have been forming about me.

I love Rod's Gasoline Alley too.

Jim

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 21 weeks ago

I'm impressed. You're right. I wasn't sure if anyone was ever going to guess that one.

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 21 weeks ago

Motown. My hardest challenge with Motown is that my favorite material from the label is strewn between several different artists and albums. I couldn't find one single album to put on this list. Of course, I don't have every Motown compilation created. Perhaps the perfect 'Motown Story' is out there somewhere. I just haven't found it yet. For what it's worth, Smokey Robinson's Anthology and Stevie Wonder's Innervisions almost made the list. I hate to admit it, but I am still not as up on Wonder as I need to be. I plan on purchasing several of his albums soon, and I'm willing to bet that at least one Wonder album will make it onto this list whenever I get around to revising.

One life, so many albums to hear... Ah, well.

Thanks again. Great to hear from another fan who remembers Rod when he was great.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 21 weeks ago

Oh how could I have missed 37: "Great Apes" Will Self

Loved this and most of this guys stuff. I highly recommend.

Jim

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 21 weeks ago

"You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" What a beautiful, sad, cynical song. Gets me every time. A man's been hurt so many times that when he finally does find something good, he can only regret the day he is sure it must all come to an end. Besides, who can resist Dylan singing, "You're going to make me give myself a good talkin' to."

Thank you very much for the kind words. Hearing that you will give Heard and Adam Again a shot is frankly the first time that the weeks I spent writing up this list have seemed worth the effort. Be sure to inform me of your reactions to the albums. I promise you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like them!

Again, I appreciate your comments.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 21 weeks ago

55. "Girlfriend in A Coma" Douglas something...Copley maybe..

Good book, ending is a little weak.

Jim

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 21 weeks ago

I really don't know how I managed to leave him out. I haven't seen Elizabeth but I loved him in Shakespeare in Love. Thanks for the input.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 21 weeks ago

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. You're right, he's great.

• Songs with days of the week in the title, please add more!   14 years 21 weeks ago

"10:15 Thursday Morning" Hollies. I am afraid I showing my age.

Jim

I didn't see any Wednesdays so how about "Wednesday morning 3 am" Simon and Garfunkel

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 21 weeks ago

I am glad to see Tom Petty on the list, Ditto Rod Stewart, though I would put Every Picture much higher. My question is-Where's Motown? Just for their rythm section alone they deserve some mention. Temptations, Four Tops at least Smokey?

Once again great list.

Jim

• literary songs   14 years 21 weeks ago

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man ("F. Scott Fitzgerald")
    Bob Dylan - Desolation Row (Mentions the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Romeo, Ophelia, Cinderella, Ezra Pound, and T.S. Eliot )

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 21 weeks ago

Great list. I am impressed and that is becoming increasinly difficult as I near my 40's. I could not agree more About "Blood on the Tracks". Stunning music. I love "you're gonna me me lonesome when you go" I will purchase the Heard and Adam Again albums simply on this list.

Its a pleasure reading your stuff.

Jim

hey, i just remembered "Sunday Morning, Yellow Sky" by October Project.

• ROCKSTARS i'd like to meet...   14 years 21 weeks ago

PJ Harvey, Bjork and Nina Simone would definately be on my list.

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 21 weeks ago

My list would include Groundhog Day. Also Goodfellas, Raising Arizona and The Last Seduction. Linda Fiorentino is my all time favorite movie *itch. That would make a great list.

• 0015: So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic - Tier 1   14 years 21 weeks ago

Did you read my comments? I most certainly do not believe influence makes a film good or not good. My other lists and my comments should show this. This list simply attempts to give a film history education in a concentrated dose, and when viewing film history, it is important to tackle the milestones in order to understand why film is how it is now. That's where the influence comes in. As my comments say, this is not a list of 'best' films. By no means do I believe a movie must be influential to be 'good,' and many conversations I have participated in here should prove this beyond question.

• best foreign language films i've seen   14 years 21 weeks ago

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: i just got a new TV for christmas, which means i'm throwing out the old one with the maladjusted tube that prevented me from reading subtitles, weather warnings, and school closings... just wanted to forewarn you that this list *will* be expanding in the near future!

• What's your Evil Overlord IQ?   14 years 21 weeks ago

Tho a pretty cool movie, Willow has quite a few of the traits...

• 0015: So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic - Tier 1   14 years 21 weeks ago

Why do you believe that for a movie to be "good" it must have definitivly influenced another movie? It seems to me that is a poor weighing mechanism in the debate. Your list automatically rules out movies with originallity and real guts.

• LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 21 weeks ago

"A cup of tea she will admit to no one..."
    20 is "If you're feelinf Sinister" by Belle and Sebatsian.
    I used to feel like a sissy when I put on this album. Mow I feel like a sissy all the time. Visit my lyric quiz if you have a minute.

Sunday Girl- Blondie