• what dead musician should God bring back to life?   15 years 17 weeks ago

he was in the Dave Beethoven Five!

• what dead musician should God bring back to life?   15 years 17 weeks ago

What band did he play in?

L. Bangs (who, yes, is joking)

• what dead musician should God bring back to life?   15 years 17 weeks ago

no one (besides me) think's it would be interesting to have Beethoven (or even Mozart) alive today?

• what dead musician should God bring back to life?   15 years 17 weeks ago

Buddy Holly in a bad mood...

Of course, if I was living in a post-apocalyptic nightmare, I probably would be a bit less chipper myself.

• Books I read this summer   15 years 17 weeks ago

I liked it, but it wasn't as good as I had expected. I liked the style of it at first, but I got tired of it towards the end. Overall I would say it was good and I reccomend reading it, it just wasn't as good as maybe it could have been. :)

• what dead musician should God bring back to life?   15 years 17 weeks ago

hehe, I voted for Buddy Holly myself.

As a complete sidenote, has anyone ever seen "Six String Samurai"? It's probably the only entrant ever in the "Kung Fu/Rockabilly/Post-Apocalyptic/Quest" genre... I'm serious. But the Interesting Thing is, its main character is sort of a very Buddy Holly-esque character... I can't even explain it well here... try the imdb for a little more concrete info.

Antihero

Qui custodet ipso custodes?

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   15 years 17 weeks ago

7 points for you Buddy, and thanks for playing! This game has been languishing a little.

• Netflix Anyone?   15 years 17 weeks ago

Well now, how much do you *really* like dvd's?

Netflix is pretty good, although i found i kept them long enough that i wasn't getting very many a month, with the lag turnaround time in the mail. But, if you plan well, it's a pretty good deal.

If, however, you wanna watch dvd's ALL the time, try blockbuster's deal. I don't know if it's just in california or what, but it's 30 dvd's, for 30 days, for $19.99. The catch is, that it's strictly one dvd per night... If you don't rent a movie on Tuesday, you can't say, "Okay, i'll rent two dvd's on Wednesday". You can, however, have more than one out at a time... thus, if you rent a five-day rental dvd on monday, and one on tuesday, and wed, thur, and fri, you can still have the monday one out on friday, and all the others too.
    Really, for twenty bucks, if you figure it's generally a good 3 to 4 bucks to rent a dvd, even if you just get 5 or 7 movies in that entire month, you're still a little ahead.

Basically, netflix is good if you wanna hang on to the dvd's for a while and watch them at your leisure (and have up to 3 at a time, or more if you pay more), but you have to plan in advance what you want to see. The blockbuster video dvd rental pass is good if you're the type of person that suddenly wants a dvd to watch tonight, and likes to choose randomly.

Wow, long-winded, but my wife and I really like renting dvd's, so we put a lot of thought into the two systems.

If you like vhs a lot, Blockbuster has a similar system for vhs, only it's $7.99 a month.

Later, guys.

Antihero

Qui custodet ipso custodes?

• Open Forum Discussion ; GLADIATOR Winning Best Picture!   15 years 17 weeks ago

I completely disagree about Traffic. While it did aim much higher than Brockovich, and may not have succeeded quite as well, then I have to contend that EB set extremely low standards for itself. I thought Traffic was ambitious in its attempt to balance so many aspects of the drug war, and in this respect it succeeded admirably. As well, other filmic techniques were used, and used well. The use of colour filters for the different locations, for example.

EB on the other hand, set out to tell a David vs. Goliath tale set in a law-type setting. Been done. The twist here was the character representing David, whose brashness and unprofessionality (while original in this type of film), added nothing to the standard plot a la A Civil Action, Rainmaker, etc. etc. I agree too many critics focus on plot, but I didn't think the character in this film was enough to carry it. In short, I thought that this film was nothing special.

My vote was for Traffic, but to be fair I haven't seen Almost Famous or Requiem For a Dream. As a matter of fact, of the nominees for Best Picture, I only saw the two mentioned here and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

BTW, I respect both of your opinions greatly, and have enjoyed your comments on this subject. I will have to see Gladiator before I comment on its worthiness for the win, but I suspect people were simply dazzled by its being an epic. After all, if it's an epic, it must be good, right? There were so many fantastic films this year, it's a shame to see the nominees populated largely by big-budget spectacle films which may have been good, but not necessarily important, or even that interesting.

• Interesting movies you may not have heard of   15 years 17 weeks ago

Yes; I was agreeing with you.

• Interesting movies you may not have heard of   15 years 17 weeks ago

i was merely referring to the semantics of it all. in the states we tend to say "college" instead of "university", which is the term that seems to be commonly used in canada and other parts of the world. although i graduated from a school that offers under- and post-graduate programs, i still say i went to "college" instead of saying i went to "university". prior to the school i went to for my degree, i did go to a private liberal arts college that offered degrees in all areas of study, as most liberal arts schools in the states tend to do.

• The New Critical Underground Oscar Winners   15 years 17 weeks ago

Right now!

Sorry for the delay...

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   15 years 17 weeks ago

#30 is Drew Carey, though I had to look up the actor's name, so I'll leave that to someone else.
    #31 is John Goodman in Roseanne
    #32 is David Spade in Just Shoot Me
    #33 is Chris Elliot in Get A Life

• Interesting movies you may not have heard of   15 years 17 weeks ago

Technically, a university includes post-graduate facilities, while the college is an undergraduate school or a separate school offering very specialized training and usually conferring no degree. As noted, however, in reality, the two terms tend to be used as having the same meaning.

Jblack and I dish it straight because we both already know the level of respect and admiration for the other we share.

I agree that the story wasn't very original. However, I am surprised that anybody found the heroine unsympathetic. She wasn't a typcially bland, perfect, milquetoast Hollywood hero, sure; her edges were rough, she was brash, and she made her sure of stupid decision. Part of the film's magic is that she is sympathic despite these flaws, and if you found her otherwise, I can certainly understand why you thought the film stunk.

The cinematography was terrific, by the way.

Was it worthy of nomination? I'll put it this wasy. It was at least as worthy (if not moreso) as Traffic, a film with great potential which lost its way toward the end with one too many cliches and stereotyped character (the drug czar has a daughter on drugs? That's a new one. Douglas gives a goofy, unrealistic speech toward the end of the film? i'm shocked!) Traffic still managed to be a fairly good film, but if it aimed higher that Erin, it certainly stumbled more often as well.

If Gladiator is the type of film Oscar voters vote for because it feels like an Oscar film, Traffic is the type of films critics claim was robbed because it felt like the type of film that are usually robbed. Requiem for a Dream and Almost Famous both were more worthy than Traffic, or Erin, for that matter.

It wasn't heavy with plot, that is very true, but I really believe most folks overvalue plot twists and turns nowadays. There was a plot, and it was well-structued and supported by a great screenplay lacking some of the more cheesy lines the Traffic script slipped into towards the end. It wasn't the very best screenplay ever, but it was good. It was more character driven than it was twist driven, and I really respect that in an age when most young people's favorite films hinge on a major revelation toward the end (yes, I'm talking Shawshank Redemption, Sixth Sense, and Usual Suspects, all of which I guessed at least half way through the film (Sixth Sense I actually guessed from the trailer alone)).

• Interesting movies you may not have heard of   15 years 17 weeks ago

College is the same thing as university. I think it's just semantics. But, at least at my college, none of the grads got department photos even...

Thanks Buddy. By no means do I dismean lbangs view. He is a well respected dude in my eyes. You hear me Bangs? But really, the film is shallow and far from Best Picture consideration.

• 0021: 2000 Films I Sadly Missed in the Theaters and Now Feel the Need to Rent   15 years 17 weeks ago

Good question. As far as I can tell, Hamlet is still not available on DVD! Luckily, I guess I will soon get the chance to finally see Girlfight and Wonder Boys.

I agree with your assessment of Roberts' acting, as well as the performances of the others. However, I really thought the movie stunk up the place. The story was unoriginal, the heroine unsympathetic, and all other aspects thoroughly mediocre (cinematography, etc). I'm glad she was recognized for a good performance (though you're right in that she shouldn't have won over such other talent) but best picture? Not even close to being worthy of the nomination.

Sadly enough, the Oscars often boil down to politics. Studio workers love to see their own studio take home the golden boy, so pictures created by more than one studio (Titanic, Gladiator) tend to enter the game with huge support already.

Dreamworks spent a ton of money promoting Gladiator, and the struggling Universal would've sold their head execs to score a best picture win.

At least Scott didn't waltz home with the best director award, and the terrible editing team also left empty-handed.

• Actor's Best Roles   15 years 17 weeks ago

I didn't care for it and I'm not totally convinced he is more than a pretty face. If I had to pick a favorite I would go with "A River Runs Through It".

• Surprisingly Good Movies   15 years 17 weeks ago

dude, what's with the clooney bashing? he's great in most of his roles. From Dusk Till Dawn, Out of Sight, Three Kings, O Brother and the upcoming Ocean's Eleven are all quality projects!

I dont know about fantastic script. There obviously wasnt enough content in the story or I would have looked at other parts of her body. Come on Les, Was that script really any good?