• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Without Limits was a very good movie with Donald Sutherland, Billy Crudup, and Monica Potter It not only tells you about Prefontaine, but shows you the inception of a famous athletic shoe company. I have not seen Prefontaine.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 10 weeks ago

Um, I disagree. I don't know where you're coming from, but here's my five in order:

1. The Worthing Chronicle

2. Ender's Game

3. Speaker for the Dead

4. Seventh Son

5. Wyrms

Skip Speaker for the Dead? Are you kidding? It's every bit as good as Ender's Game, if not better. It's quite possibly the most notable exception to the rule that a sequel is not as good as the book it follows.

In general, the later books in Card's series are not half as good as the first. Seventh Son is great, but by Heartfire, the series is meandering and boring. The first book of Homecoming is intriguing, but the rest of the series doesn't live up to it.

Pastwatch was okay, but Card has certainly written five better books. I don't want to give any spoilers here, but I found the last third of Pastwatch somewhat lacking in dramatic tension. The rest of it was certainly good, but I have a hard time finding science fiction by any author that compares to Worthing Chronicle and Ender's Game.

• The Most Profane Songs of All Time   14 years 10 weeks ago

Dude, if you haven't, check out the South Park movie soundtrack or their Christmas album for more fine selections.

• My Favorite Foreign Films   14 years 10 weeks ago

Since you liked Red, White, and Blue, you should see the Decalogues by Kieslowski. They just became available on video. The Decalogues are 10 shorts, each one concerning each of the ten commandments. As typical of Kieslowski, they're great.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

In 1989, there were 3 underwater thriller movies that went from worst to best in order of release date: Deep Star Six (horrible), Leviathan (poor), The Abyss (great). Also, in 1992, there were 2 Columbus movies: "1492: Conquest of Paradise" and "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery." I did not see either, but 1492 seemed better. Last year sort of had a copycat theme with the Millenium being the end-of-the-world; both Stigmata and End of Days were bad though. This year looks like the year of the She's All That/American Pie rehashes, and they all look awful.

• Underappreciated Directors   14 years 10 weeks ago

On this list Altman is my favorite. He is definitely underapprecited by movie-goers, but not by Hollywood since everyone wants to work for him at scale salary. Personally, I would add John Dahl to this list; I loved Kill Me Again, Red Rock West, and The Last Seduction. He does a great job with the modern film noir genre. Oh, I just thought of a relative newcomer for this list, Doug Liman. I loved both Swingers and Go.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 10 weeks ago

I had a hard time cutting down from 13 to 10 but here goes: 2,6,12,18,25,27,29,30,33,34.

14,16, and 20 just missed.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 10 weeks ago

is #56 "White Noise" by Don DeLillo? sounds familiar

• Favorite (Best?) Novels   14 years 10 weeks ago

Don't be stung too sharply by that 'a'-word; it's just that the consensus here at The Listology seems to be that we can use 'favorite' in the titles of our lists because favorites are personal and peculiar (some very peculiar) and so the only expertise we are thus claiming is regarding what we like...[pauses for breath]...but, on the other hand, using 'best' implies a claim to an educated and impersonal expertise, which no one who needs to come to this site could possibly have ;-)

And I believe that's a new Listology record for sentence length.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Listen, guys, I've got to get to work (= my job) now. Haven't made the additions to the list yet but will this evening. See ya later.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks, but I was well aware that TTCA was a remake. I don't think that disqualifies, because copycattery was still possible, remake or not.

Yes, come to think of it, it would make an interesting project (if one had the time): doing a comparison study of the original and the remake, and theorizing on the social implications of the plot changes. I'd love to read it. Why don't you do it? ;-)

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Forgot to log in for that last one.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Here's another possibility -- Starship Troopers and Wing Commander. They were both along that "only good looking young people will be allowed to fight in space wars in the future" line.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Wow! Thanks for the wealth of new ideas. Of this lot, I've seen only THE ABYSS and 1492.

There's nothing like a drop or two of new blood to liven things up. You and kgreenbe have inspired me to allow a new sort of entry to the list, namely the 'unofficial' entry. Such entries will become official provided I get around to seeing the movies and agree that they fit.

While I have your attention, would you guys, both you and kgreenbe, care to help me choose the ten best entries in this list? I'd be much obliged. You are both very welcome to contribute challenges to that list too.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hmm...[pretends to be deep in thought]...no pair of this sort spring to my mind as an obvious copycat pair...though I'll be very surprised if you're not hot on the trail here. Haven't seen UL, and before I rented it (to verify its copycattery for myself) I'd need a more definite claim from you that they (IKWYDLS and UL) are a copycat pair. Are you making such a claim?

In any case, thanks for the idea. Maybe someone else can think of a 'teen horror' copycat pair. Little help, guys?

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've just been sitting here shaking my head and wondering why I, or jim, or sk, didn't think of this pair already. Excellent contribution!

Uh huh, Kilmer's 'Doc' Holliday is probably the best thing he's ever done. I have sat through WE, and when it comes to the showdown Russell/Kilmer beat Costner/Quaid hands down.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 10 weeks ago

Speaking of Tom Stoppard,how do you feel about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, the play or the movie. I have only read the play, which I loathed. However it was given to me by someone who's taste I trust, so am I missing something.

PS I like Grease!, though. The stage play is better than the movie, but it is all just silly fun-- no real depth. I think if maybe you take it on that level, its an OK movie. Also Stockard Channing gave a great performance.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   14 years 10 weeks ago

I agree. Although I normally hate Adam Sandler.(although he is talented) And sometimes Drew Barrymore.

• Favorite (Best?) Novels   14 years 10 weeks ago

Arrogant? Ouch. I didn't quite mean the title to sound that way, but I'm glad you agree with me about It. It is fantastic. Unfortunately, it seems as though I have to defend King and his books to every one of my English teachers. What a pity.

• THE GREATEST GUITAR WIZZARDS   14 years 10 weeks ago

Your decision to keep Jimmy Page off of your list saddens me greatly. Please reconsider. By the way, Tom Morello may be worth mentioning just because of how creative of a player he is. (Hendrix should also be above Knopfler, but it is your list.)

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 10 weeks ago

I agree that Toy Story and Beauty easily are the 2 best. They both have great characters, incredible supporting characters, great stories, and exciting endings. Beauty has better musical scenes and Toy Story has better comedy, but the music and comedy in both are great. Favorite sequence in each: Beauty- Gaston song, Toy Story- plastic soldier mission. I could watch and have watched both over and over again.

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 10 weeks ago

Perhaps the female lions were passive because that kept with the whole Hamlet concept of the movie. Hamlet goes into isolation and it is only after he encounters his father's ghost does he take matters in his own hand. Of course, since this is Disney, Simba does not die like Hamlet.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

What about Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. I must admit that I've never sat through a whole screening of WE, but I loved Tombstone, especially Val Kilmer.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Would Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend, and all the other teen horrors fit into this list. Of course, we all know that Scream was the best of all these, but I would have a tough time choosing between IKWYDLS and UL. Neither had any redeeming qualities.

• The WORST movies I have sat through   14 years 10 weeks ago

Bertie, excellent insight on Starship Troopers. I remember that when it was in the theaters, people who understood the movie thought it was hilarious and great; however, people who expected a straight forward sci fi flick were extremely disappointed. I loved the movie, and when I read your reply ending with "would you like to know more," I laughed.