user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • Movies that I have yet to see and must rent this summer (Under Construction)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Don't bother seeing Reservior Dogs. IMHO, it was crap - long, boring, needlessly violent. I've got nothing against violence, but Tarantino seems to throw it in as filler.

• Since The Listology is so highly cross-referenced   14 years 10 weeks ago

Good point. For lists that have comments, you can click on the "number of comments" link to get to the non-owner version of the list. I'll try to put a clickable "0" in for lists with no comments by the end of the day (as UncRoger suggested awhile ago).

• Great Musical Numbers in Non-Musical Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

Well, yes, they were purely gratuitous, but still fun to watch.

• All Time Favorite Books   14 years 10 weeks ago

I read Catch 22 and definitely liked it. But I guess it didn't make as big an imprint on me as the others. I probably read it at the same time as Catcher in the Rye. Yet, Catch 22 didn't really affect me the same way (although I do use the phrase constantly, without thinking of the book). Perhaps I should reread it.

• All Time Favorite Books   14 years 10 weeks ago

I have neglected this list for a while. Thanks to folks who jogged my memory about the missing authors. As soon as I read that I thought, Of Course! How could I forget?

I just added a new book. It's called "Ishmael" and is written by Daniel Quinn. It's a philosophical essay disguised as a novel. It's very short, but not easy reading. I found it very thought-provoking.

• movies i regret seeing   14 years 10 weeks ago

After reading a lot of your previous remarks, I understand that most of the titles are due to either its violence or its mean-spiritedness. I'm assuming that you considered both "The Story of Us" and "She's All That" PUTRID since they are movies about relationships. If this is correct, I agree 100% on "She's AllThat", and I will continue to avoid "Story of Us."

• Has anybody seen Gladiator yet? Is it wort   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'll be the heretic here. I was VERY disappointed with the film. The story was a Roman retread of Braveheart, the editing was sorry, the use of the skip-frame technique from the beginning of Saving Private Ryan was a bad idea (especially when coupled with fast cuts; who knew what was going on?), and as the story progresses, it becomes more and more silly until a finale that, sorry, just could, would, and should have never happened. I'm still waiting for Ridley to return to his prior powers.

Just my opinion... The acting was good, for what that's worth.

• In a rare moment of Friday evening spontaneity (ra   14 years 10 weeks ago

I had the same experience. I only went because a friend who hates action films recommended, which shocked me. The high quality of the film shocked me more. Glad it became something of a sleeper.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   14 years 10 weeks ago

I fully confess that it is a fancy way of not having to choose between two movies. I though of some of my favorite movies, and then found genres for them. I just can't choose. I have been thinking, however, of doing a list and limiting it to broad, recognized genres, such as you see in the vidoe store
    drama
    comedy
    Action/Adventure
    Classics
    etc.

I think that that would be a real challenge.

PS. If the critera for modern in being made after 1970, then Braveheart has to be a "Modern War Film" although I though about that for a while. It is pretty silly.

• Remakes   14 years 10 weeks ago

The Fly - 1958 and 1986. Both good, but I would lean towards the newer version.

• Remakes   14 years 10 weeks ago

Village of the Damned -- 1960 and 1995. Haven't seen either, so can't really say which was better.

• Nobel Prize Winners for Literature   14 years 10 weeks ago

If you're into contemporary poetry, you could do worse than try some Seamus Heaney. He's fairly accessible: where I live, a collection of his poems is one of the books studied in high school English.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   14 years 10 weeks ago

I was thinking of the film noir genre for Big Sleep as well. Also, I like the genre of teen angst, and both choices are solid. I know Bertie mentioned this about my list as well, but I strongly believe that even though the people on this site respect some of the earlier movies, there is enough prejudice about not seeing movies solely dependent on what year a movie was made. There have been countless times where I have overheard people decline viewing a movie because it is "too old." In video stores, once a movie is removed from the new release wall, it hardly rents. Therefore, as long as the public differentiates, why can't we as well? On a different note, film technology and the studio systems have changed so maybe the cutoff should be the mid 50's with the advancement of technicolor and theater houses.

• Movies that are as good as or better than their literary source   14 years 10 weeks ago

That's Chuck Palahniuk who wrote Fight Club, and quite frankly, I'd have to disagree with you there. The movie was amazing, astounding, and brilliant, but the book was more so. And the book's ending was a lot better. I actually wondered why they remained so close to the book throughout the entire film and then drastically changed the ending. Odd. Another book that wasn't as good as the movie it was made into was How to Make an American Quilt by Whitney Otto.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 10 weeks ago

Clear and Present Danger?

• The Most Profane Songs of All Time   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've only ever heard it sung once, a decade or so ago. It was played on public-funded radio in my neck of the woods. I don't know if the recording is available, but to hear it sung, and to try to sing along without...er...tripping over your tongue...is a hilarious experience. When I read your list, the memory of it just appeared...don't know why. So I entered the title into Dogpile, and happily found the lyrics.

• Devastating Movies About The End Of The World   14 years 10 weeks ago

I don't know if you saw the movie, "Night of the Comet." It has a post-apocalyptic theme where the movie begins the night before, and the next day almost everybody except a few people have vaporized into dust. Despite the heavy summary, the movie is relatively light since 2 of the main characters are valley girls trying to cope with their current situation.

• Devastating Movies About The End Of The World   14 years 10 weeks ago

I do believe I've heard of this one, but haven't got around to seeing it yet. Before I became a Listologist I would choose my rental videos on impulse, mainly, and this one must have one of those labels that doesn't attract my attention, because I'm sure I would have picked it up if I'd noticed the title. Anyway, I'll put it on my 'to see' list - sounds like fun.

• Nasty torture scenes that even affect the strong at heart ( under construction)   14 years 10 weeks ago

i, for one, thank you for making this list! (i'll now consider adding the ones that don't already appear to my Avoidance list...)

• The best of the series...   14 years 10 weeks ago

I agree with a lot of your choices (especially Elm Street 3-the scene where Freddie uses the kids own skin for puppet strings will remain imbedded in my mind forever), but I'm going to have to put in my plug for Return of the Jedi as the best Star Wars movie.

Most people totally dismiss Jedi because of the Ewoks. I agree that they were pretty darn stupid, but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. The Jabba desert execution sequence is one of the most exciting in any of the four movies. I also think Jedi had the best lightsaber sequences of the original three. I have always thought that Empire had some really slow parts which detract from my overall enjoyment of the movie.

My final argument: Leia in a bikini vs. Luke in a diaper -- no contest!

• "this song is about me and him" songs   14 years 10 weeks ago

Wow. I love all of those songs. And to think I thought I was the only one out there....

• Movies That Are On The "100 Years, 200 Stinkers" List But That I Enjoyed   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've found that people either love Spaceballs or hate it. I don't really understand how people could hate it (it still cracks me up even though it's on TV every few weeks), but we all know that peoples' tastes vary widely.

I was disappointed with Men in Tights. Not one of Mel's better efforts, IMHO. I agree that Young Frankenstein is a masterpiece.

• best foreign language films i've seen   14 years 10 weeks ago

thanks for the suggestions. some of them have been on my mental need-to-see list for quite a while, but your recommendation will bump them up. (the main problem is that my tv's tube is maladjusted, cutting off any kind of text at the bottom of the screen--so until i get a new one or become fluent in other languages, i have to view foreign films elsewhere... sad, i know.)

• Since The Listology is so highly cross-referenced   14 years 10 weeks ago

jim, i noticed that if i try to link to one of my own listology lists, i have to open a new window and log out because otherwise the URL is the editable-by-author kind. it's not that big of a deal, but is there an easier way?

Although the movie version of The Postman strayed significantly from the book, I thought it had enough redeeming qualities to make it enjoyable. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction and always like to see how the world is portrayed after civilization's destruction. Having said this, I still refuse to Waterworld.