• Stole the Show   14 years 23 weeks ago

If you've seen Me, Myself and Irene:

Charlie's three kids totally stole the film. Every single scene they were in cracked me up, from arguing about physics to learning to fly the chopper.

• CC00046: Michael Jackson   14 years 23 weeks ago

Both. The Best of Michael Jackson, while released in 1981, was a Motown cash-in put out to benefit from Jackson's success with Off the Wall, an album released after Michael switched labels to Epic. It only covers Jackson's 1971 - 1975 material, of which Ben is the highest ranking album on this list. It contains nothing from Off the Wall, Thriller, or any later albums. One of the two discs of History is a best-of covering the later, Epic years, and I suspect it would have earned a 10 if it was not saddled with another disc of new material that didn't tend to do much for most critics. Too bad that compilation disc wasn't released separately, as Jackson has no good Greatest Hits collection for his best years.

• CC00046: Michael Jackson   14 years 23 weeks ago

Curious that The Best of Michael Jackson is so low on the list. Misnamed, or an early 'best of'?

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 24 weeks ago

I posted Joni Mitchell this morning. While the ratings are not my opinions, I would still love to hear your reactions to them.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 24 weeks ago

I'll have to agree with you on Alien. I believe it is Scott's best film, overall. In fact, I have probably seen it more than any other movie. Second would go to Blade Runner. I recently watched the letterbox version and realized that every frame of Blade Runner is sure photographic perfection. I think that I have only seen two (2) films that were better photographed, Barry Lyndon & Eyes Wide Shut. Personally, I didn't care much for Thelma & Louise. Sure it was kind of fun, but it was also somewhat cartoonish. I can't help it, but Legend (as bad as it is) is my third favorite Scott film. I mean, is it me, or was Tim Curry born to play the horned Prince of Darkness?

• Soundtrack to my life   14 years 24 weeks ago

I have a quite similar list called "Soundtrack of my life." Only the Good Die Young is also on my list...pretty cool to think about the role of music in our lives, eh? You reminded me to put John Mellencamp on my list. :0

• CC00043: Simon & Garfunkel   14 years 24 weeks ago

First, thank you very much for the compliments. Somewhere around CC22, I started to wonder if anyone was gaining any insight from these lists, which do take some time to pull together. Luckily, a positive comment like yours is enough to get me through another 10 or so of these beasts!

As for the criteria, when I first began compiling critical sources to pilfer for these lists, one of the quality I sought in their critiques was an attempt to view an album as a complete work of art. As such, I believe your final phrase about judging the 'album as a whole and how well the songs work together to create a single art form' probably applies best here. Some greatest hits and box sets have scored very well, but only those that include excellent selection and sequencing. A 'best-of' album usually can indeed be a solid work of art on its own if enough care is taken putting the package together. These lists probably reflect that belief.

As an interesting side note, I believe the new Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits set, while too new to qualify for this list, is being widely smiled upon by the few critics who have reviewed it. With more songs and improved sound quality, it appears to be superior to the older best-of included above.

I hope that answers your question, and thanks again for the kind words!

• CC00043: Simon & Garfunkel   14 years 24 weeks ago

I have been unfamiliar with most of the CC's you have done so far, and thus had very little to say. S&G is the first I feel remotely qualified to comment on. (I'm not a fogey, nor are they my favourite musicians. I'm just a music major immersed in classical, classic rock and a only handful of newer groups).

Unfortunately I've only heard two of these albums (Greatest Hits & Concert in C.P.), though I know most of their other songs as well. Considering how low these two albums scored in comparison with those at the top, I am indeed curious to hear them.

I am curious, however, what sort of criteria goes into the judging of an album? Is it the performance of the individual songs, the quality of each song, or the album as a whole and how well the songs work together to create a single art form? (I realize these are not necessarily your opinions.)

Here is as good a place as any, I suppose, to thank you for these CC lists. They are a wonderful public service for those of us looking to expand our interests and have no idea where to start.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 24 weeks ago

Special thanks for this comment. I had just about decided that no one at The Listology was interested.

I hadn't noticed that about comedies. I'll be watching for it the next one I catch. Does it apply to sitcoms? - my current favorite is JUST SHOOT ME.

Btw, the idea that philosophical principles and positions on philosophical questions fall into three groups isn't the official line in the discipline, it's my own thesis. I gave a seminar on it at my local university a few years ago and I'm working on a book about it.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 24 weeks ago

I love the top 3 as well, and I would have figured Alien and Thelma flip-flopped too. Personally, Alien is probably my favorite, barely over Blade Runner.

• CC00006: Stanley Kubrick   14 years 24 weeks ago

Six scores of 10 and 2 scores of 9.5 are no surprise by the master. I gather there is not enough info to include the recent Eyes Wide Shut and its average score. Personally I love all of the top six, and I would score Lolita ahead of The Shining. I've yet to see Barry Lyndon and Killer's Kiss. The one 10 rarely talked about is The Killing; a must-see movie for people who like heist movies. Actually, I think Tarantino must have idolized this movie when you consider Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 24 weeks ago

Yes, I can't believe that potentially the second best prisoner-of-war film (Bridge on the River Kwai, #1) received only an 8.5 average. Also, Witness should be a 10 as well; grand performances with one of the greatest cinematic twisting plots of all time. Those 2 movies and the top 3 on the list are easily on my top 100 of all time, perhaps even top 50. I don't actually have a list, so I can't say for sure. The other surprise is the low score of Irma La Douce. I have not seen it, but most people I have spoken to speak highly of it.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 24 weeks ago

Virtual Unrealities--a collection of his short stories--is excellent.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 24 weeks ago

those are the only two Bester's I've read. If there's anything else worthwhile beyond them, let us know :)

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 24 weeks ago

It was awesome. One of my favorite sci-fi novels so far (but I havenn't read a lot of sci-fi). I especially loved the old fortune teller lady's hideout in the paint factory - sounded like something Iain Banks would have thought up. I gave it a Fabulous over on Alexlit.

Unfortunately according to everything I hear it's downhill from here with Bester (I already read _The Stars My Destination_). I have most of his other stuff, so sooner or later I'll get to it and be able to verify whether the rumors are true or not.

• Top John Denver songs ever   14 years 24 weeks ago

Does John Denver sing Perhaps Love? If so, I like that one. For some reason we used to have the two best graduating senior of my high school chorus sing it at the final concert. God knows why. Often it was 2 girls or two boys, singing as a duet. Not only do I like it for sentimental reasons, but I do enjoy the song. It is very touching.

• Best Non-Beatle Rock Groups of the 1960s   14 years 24 weeks ago

The Mammas and the Papas may seem lame now, but they really had a very new vision of what harmony was like in a rock group. And I like them, they are also a lot of fun!

• Favorite Mystery Authors (of non-formulaic mysteries)   14 years 24 weeks ago

I just started reading the William Monk Series of Anne Perry's, and actually find them a lot less formulaic than the Charlotte Pitt/Inspector Pitt Series. I actually can't wait for the next book to come out, as I am very invested in the characters.

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 24 weeks ago

This is as great of a place to ask as any. I definitely will do Joni Mitchell. She was in the next five I had on my to do list, and since you requested it, I will move her to the top. I also am very interested to see how her albums turn out. I've little doubt that Court & Spark and Blue will pull 10s, but I am very curious to see how Hissing of Summer Lawns and others of her later albums pan out.

I'll try to post this by Monday afternoon.

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 24 weeks ago

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but would you consider doing one of these for Joni Mitchell? I would be highly interested.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 24 weeks ago

Isn't it funny that philosophical principles come in three, and in comedies, so do jokes? Just a thought....

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 24 weeks ago

The idea of this list is to leave your line unidentified as a challenge to other readers that they identify it. Try again. New challenges will be placed on Volume Two of the list. And I hope you appreciate that I resisted the temptation to make a snide remark involving your nickname.

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 24 weeks ago

I would recommend it. Perhaps not a 10 (some of the characterizations are a bit crude), but probably at least a 9 in my book. I'm more shocked, however, by its rating because it used to be a critic's darling. Growing up in the 80s, it seemed every critical source lavished their highest ratings or praise on the film. Now, obviously, things have changed. On the other hand, several of the films gaining a 9 were not nearly as highly praised a decade or two ago. Oh, those fun critical trends...

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 24 weeks ago

I can't help you here, seeing as I have never watched Touch of Evil. When I wanted to see it, it was nearly impossible to find for rental. When I finally found it, I read a restoration was heading for the big screen, so I put it off. Of course, that revival never came to my town, and now the film is in video limbo. Won't somebody please put that director's cut on DVD? After all, somebody already paid the megabucks to restore the film...

If you enjoyed Citizen Kane (which I love), you may enjoy The Magnificent Ambersons. These films are at least a bit similar in style and tone.

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 24 weeks ago

I relate. It is very humbling to approach a director you believe you know pretty well only to discover many films you had forgotten all about and have never seen! I need to get my DVD player humming!