• themed compilation: color   14 years 23 weeks ago

Sorry, i forgot 2:
    From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea - Cure
    Bullet The Blue Sky - U2

• Plays/Poetry/Essays Read in 2000   14 years 23 weeks ago

Wow, you read some of my favorite Greek dramas! I'm curious as to which translations you read, and, of course, whether you enjoyed the plays or not. Hippolytus is especially interesting, I believe, and The Orestia and Medea are wonderful.

• Now this sounds interesting: After suffering t   14 years 23 weeks ago

On a related note Christopher Nolan, the director of Memento, is going to be filming a remake of the Norwegian film "Insomnia" with Al Pacino. I've seen the original (there's even a Criterion Collection DVD) and it was pretty decent. This is one of those rare remakes-of-foreign-language-films which might be even better the second time. Unlike The Vanishing, e.g. Before [8.1] and After [5.9]

• themed compilation: color   14 years 23 weeks ago

Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harem, Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 23 weeks ago

Your missing your hands-down winner: The Most Wonderful Girl by Lords of Acid. It's on the Sliver soundtrack, and truly must be heard to be believed.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 23 weeks ago

No "Pump It Up," by Elvis Costello?

• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   14 years 23 weeks ago

I enjoyed Evil Dead, but while it seems a bit weaker than the films on this list, it also strikes me more as a comedy than a true horror film seriously meant to scare the living wits out of folks. More of a Re-Animator, actually...

• Books read in 2001   14 years 23 weeks ago

Thanks for the info. It actually makes me want to read it more, as I'm sort of into biographies right now. That it focuses more on Galileo is a plus, for me.

• Best year in the 90's for Movies   14 years 23 weeks ago

Naturally, this all boils down to opinion. I think Election is horribly over-rated, and I didn't like the Sixth Sense or The Talented Mr. Ripley nearly as much as the films I listed for 1994. Additionally, you're talking to somebody who believes Amateur and Pulp Fiction may well be the two best films of the 90s, and the others I mentioned are also mostly quite high on that list. I somehow left off Three Colors: Red from my list of great 1994 films, and I didn't even mention the merely good films from the year, such as Ed Wood, The Shawshank Redemption, Quiz Show.

Only All About My Mother and Being John Malkovich can really begin to compete with the films I listed.

So, we'll just have to disagree here, but I strongly believe 1994 was the best year for film in our previous decade.

• Best year in the 90's for Movies   14 years 23 weeks ago

But 1999 gave us Being John Malkovich, Run Lola Run, Topsy Turvy, The Insider, Election, The Matrix, The Straight Story, All About My Mother, Man on the Moon, Magnolia, The Sixth Sense, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and The End of the Affair. American Beauty ws not my cuppa tea, but a lot of people liked it. I think that 1999 will prove more influential (Pulp Fiction excluded).

• Favorite Dramas   14 years 23 weeks ago

I guess I'm the only one that had major problems with it because the videography made me nearly seasick.. Got a headache because of the shaky video...

• Best year in the 90's for Movies   14 years 23 weeks ago

Boy, this was the easiest poll yet. 1994 gave us Pulp Fiction, Amateur, Forrest Gump, Chungking Express, Heavenly Creatures, To Live, and Eat Drink Man Woman. A fantastic year.

• themed compilation: color   14 years 23 weeks ago

How about
    Famous Blue Raincoat, Leonard Cohen
    Blue Shadows, Donna the Buffalo

J

• read in 2001   14 years 23 weeks ago

loved it. One Hundred Years of Solitude was a couple of years ago. I remember liking it but I'm not sure which one I liked better.

I'm wondering now how much of the rest of his stuff is worth reading. (I've picked up a few more that are now part of my HUGE pile of books to be read)

• read in 2001   14 years 23 weeks ago

Did you enjoy Love in the Time of Cholera? I did.

Have you read One Hundred Years in Solitude yet? An even better book, in my humble estimation.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 23 weeks ago

M'Lord, what I had in mind for this list was pairs of movies that have very similar themes and were released within a year of each other. The earliest version of KSM came out decades before ROTLA. So, while I agree that there is probably a strong influence here, the time gap is much too wide.

• Top ten Hollywood Director's if you made the list in 1960   14 years 23 weeks ago

The book by Crowe on Wilder is wonderful. Crowe is a great interviewer while Wilder is amazing, his responses are witty and interesting even though he's 90 some years old!!! I got this one from my library and was planning on only reading a few pages, but it was so good and so informative I had to end up reading all of it.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 23 weeks ago

I will add this right away.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 23 weeks ago

I haven't heard this one, but I will investigate.