• .Books To Read   14 years 22 weeks ago

As distinct from Books To Use As Doorstops, or Books To Put Under The Table-Leg To Keep The Damn Table Steady, huh?

But thanks for another interesting list. "Hidden History" sounds good, and I assume "Ghost and the Darkness" is about the two man-eating lions (don't know if they et any women, but I suppose I should call them 'person-eating'). Good movie based on that story - ask Jim.

• 0017: The Science Fiction Film Hall of Fame (1900-2000)   14 years 22 weeks ago

Of course you couldn't include it: it's not famous. But I'm pleased to see you have included one of my very favorite guilty sf pleasures THE OMEGA MAN. I belive there is a remake in the works, under the title of the novel: I AM LEGEND (author: Richard Matheson). Actually TOM is itself a remake, the novel having been filmed before as (I think) THE LAST MAN starring...wait for it...Vincent Price.

• Movies I haven't tired of despite repeated viewings   14 years 22 weeks ago

lbangs, you are so diplomatic.

Let me suggest to you that a very substantial part of the hypnotic and atmospheric power of Sergio Leone's great western is provided by Ennio Morricone's awesome musical score. I'd provide a link to a sound file of it for you, but I suppose you're still saving up for a sound card. Beg, borrow, or...but get one; you are missing out on a large part of the web experience.

• Movies I haven't tired of despite repeated viewings   14 years 22 weeks ago

Have you seen Once Upon a Time in the West? It is by the same director as The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, and anybody who has followed my lists here knows that I am a huge fan. The style is the same, and the film is hypnotic and atmospheric in a way few ever are. I highly recommend it to any lover of GBU.

• Never Finished Them   14 years 22 weeks ago

Well, I didn't take many literature classes. I could usually make myself finish the books that were assigned to me (the fiction anyway).

I have a tendency to feel guilty not finishing books - at least the ones that aren't textbooks.

• Transformative Reading   14 years 22 weeks ago

What a spectacular list! My two-cents-worth would
    include also:

Amazing Grace - Kathleen Norris

The Ragamuffin Gospel - Brennan Manning
    My Name is Asher Lev - Chaim Potok {again}

The Red Tent - Anita Diamant

Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain, The Four Loves, et al - C.S. Lewis

EricDaleEubanks@Netscape.net

• Never Finished Them   14 years 22 weeks ago

I'm surprised you don't have more classics in here. I find it most difficult to read books I didn't get to pick out in the first place, like class assignments. That's what most of my list (Books I will never finish) is comprised of.

• favorite directors   14 years 22 weeks ago

...coming soon to a listology near you :P
    As for now, I'm working on a list of procrastination reasons. So far, I've got a title...someday, I'll be finished with that...

• favorite directors   14 years 22 weeks ago

hey Phreak! where are your lists?!

(i know you have good taste, but you should really bust 'em out.)

I greatly appreciate this comment. I took especial pains to try to include great science fiction films from throughout the entire history of cinema, and your comments make that work worth it. King Kong is a much discussed yet oddly little-seen classic that deserves more viewing (and a DVD release!). Harryhausen should never be forgotten; he raised primitive special effects to an odd realm of poetry. If I ever get around to a similar fantasy list, you can be sure to see his work appear again. As for the Meilies, how could I exclude him? Very likely ground zero for science fiction, and while the piece is short, I believe it is still extremely enjoyable today.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Hey, Bertie! Great to hear from you.

I have seen Miracle Mile, and while I enjoyed it, I just couldn't quite bring myself to allow it into the hall of fame. I'm not sure it fits the definition of 'science fiction' closely enough to be let in. Nuclear holocaust is certainly an interesting subject (especially with a bit of satire a la Miracle Mile or Dr. Strangelove), but I decided against including them here. Forgive me.

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 22 weeks ago

_Diamond Age_ was good as well, but keep in mind that the ending SUCKS. _Cryptonomicon_ is a different beast entirely but I liked it as well.

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 22 weeks ago

Yea I guess you're right about the hero thing. I hate it when the hero has to have this big retinue of characters to save him from anything bigger than a garden snake (and I'm definitely American). I guess authors use the whimpy hero as a way for normal people (who probably aren't strong, together, super-heroes) to relate instead of itimidating them with a flawless hero that they could never hope to be.

Everyone tells me that I would really like _Snowcrash_ a lot and that it's my kind of thing so I guess I should read it sooner or later. I have been keeping my eye out for a copy but I'm really cheap so it could be a while. If I like it a lot I'll probably do _Diamond Age_ but I don't think I'll ever get to _Cryptonomicon_ it's just too damn big and somebody said there's math in it.

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 22 weeks ago

Snowcrash was indeed great. Have you read the rest of Stephenson's stuff?

• Never Finished Them   14 years 22 weeks ago

Actually, I did. It took 3-4 tries, but I finally got through it (on a bet of sorts).

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 22 weeks ago

Well, you'll have to include the commercially surprising CHRONICLES OF THOMAS COVENANT THE UNBELIEVER films with FX by Industrial Light and Magic and starring myself. It may take me a decade or two, but these aren't for the kiddies at all. And I'd be really good as the unbeliever! That's my dream project that just won't leave me alone... fun topic!

Thank you for including the vintage King Kong and the Harryhausens, as well as several other classics from more than 15 years ago. Cultural memory is drastically reduced, even in genre entertainment. It's nice to see someone appreciate standouts from Melies onward.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 22 weeks ago

I'm gonna guess it's that user's list of movies to see. Thus, a list of interest for movies to see in the future, not a list of interest for future movies.
    Then again, that's just my guess...what do I know? :P

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 22 weeks ago

Foucault's Pendulum was great. I read it in under a month. Well, I read it while walking down the street, while eating, would have read it in my sleep if I could. Great fun. The ending was a bit disapointing, but I can see why it had to be.

As for Neverwhere, that whimpy main character is what passes for a "hero" in the UK. Look at aurther dent in Douglas Adem's books. The idea that the main character has to be this strong, together super-hero is an American thang.

Gibson's a lot of fun. If you liked Neuromancer you'll love Stephenson's "Snowcrash", IMHO the best cyberpunk novel ever.

• Never Finished Them   14 years 22 weeks ago

Don't feel bad - nobody finished GRAVITY'S RAINBOW, it's the Great Unfinished Novel.

• Ways To Procrastinate   14 years 22 weeks ago

I'll think of a hilarious response to this. Hang on...

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 22 weeks ago

Don't quite understand the purport of this list. Movies not made yet? THE 39 STEPS has already been made at least twice, once by Hitchcock. But I'd love to see a movie version of EARTH ABIDES, a great sf novel in the 'End of the World' genre.

• All Time Favorite Books   14 years 22 weeks ago

Just finished Watership Down and it is definitely a candidate for my list of favorites. My husband is skeptical that a book about rabbits could be so great. I'm just going to have to make him read it.

This list begs another list: The Science Fiction Hall of Ought to be Famous, containing (off the top of my head) MIRACLE MILE, for one.

• Read Quickly While Recovering from Various Physical Maladies   14 years 22 weeks ago

Maybe I should created a list of favorite Westlake books.