• Essential Albums: Rockabilly   14 years 23 weeks ago

Great list, although I would have to add a Buddy Holly collection in there somewhere...

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 23 weeks ago

The Wrong Guy sounds pretty funny; I'll have to look for it. I had forgotten that Stephen Root is the voice of Bill -- thanks! Ving Rhames was indeed in Con Air, and a whole lot of other movies. I have actually yet to see either Mission Impossible -- the thought of Tom Cruise's acting inability makes them a tough choice.

I haven't seen Schindler's List (and probably won't) but I have seen Kingsley in a bunch of things and he is indeed great. Spiner is pretty darn good too -- he was the scientist that had been working underground at area 51 in Independence Day.

Could be we have similar tastes, or just that these guys are universally good. I happened to think of the first two because I was watching NewsRadio.

• 0008. 7 Great Byrds Albums   14 years 23 weeks ago

The other day, while I was grooving to my new Byrds box set, I realized I had made this horrible mistake. I have started a Byrds CC (and a Springsteen and Young one as well), and I hope to post it soon.

• 0008. 7 Great Byrds Albums   14 years 23 weeks ago

This list was difficult; as I believe you know, I change my mind on my favorite Byrds albums almost daily.

Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde just stops short of making this list, and unfortunately, I have not heard all of Ballad of Easy Ryder, which may explain why it is not listed above.

Considering that you are one of the world's foremost experts on the Byrds, I'll take all of this as a compliment...

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 23 weeks ago

My wife suggested (she's a back-seat-listologist) the Wizard of Oz, which certainly fits, but I have to add that the atrocity of Judy Garland's lack of talent kind of ruins it.

I think that while ani/clay/etc.mation may make it easier to film other worlds, children's stories (Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, etc.) and Fantasy (Labyrinth, Legend, etc.) are the genres that really lend themselves to the creation of alternate realities.

• 0008. 7 Great Byrds Albums   14 years 23 weeks ago

P.S. Mr Bangs, but where is the CC for the Byrds? Am I to believe that a CC list of Ocean Colour Scene is of more importance than one of our beloved folk-rock (not to mention pschedelic and country-rock) heroes?

Johnny Waco

• 0008. 7 Great Byrds Albums   14 years 23 weeks ago

Mr. Bangs, a quite excellent list. My only quibble would be that I would flip-flop Tamborine and Notorious. However, major props for putting Untitled over Turn Turn Turn. I don't know how vigorously I'd defend this, but I almost think that Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde and The Ballad of Easy Ryder rank with Turn!, not because all three are classics (they're not), but because all three are solid albums with some good tracks but an overall lack of consistency. Those three make up the second tier Byrds in my opinion.

Johnny Waco

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 23 weeks ago

I just got off the phone with AOL support, and they were able to access the features of The Listology without any problems, so this isn't a universal AOL problem (while it seems restricted to AOL/CompuServe users, it's not all AOL/CompuServe users). They assured me that the problem is not with The Listology, but with the specific setups of the folks that are having problems. They mentioned two things that might be causing the problem:

1. If you do not have cookies enabled, and the site makes use of them (The Listology does), this might cause the error.
    2. If your system resources are low, this might cause unexpected errors.

Of these, I suspect the first. The Listology does make use of cookies. However, on most platforms (and certainly on my machine) if you have cookies disabled, the site should behave normally except you will have to log in each time you do a "restricted" action (e.g. every time you save a list). So the first thing to try would be enabling cookies, restarting AOL (just to make sure the enabling of cookies is in effect), and seeing if you have the same problem.

If that fails, AOL suggested that the users having problems call them directly for assistance. For Windows-version support, dial 1-888-346-3704 (this is the number I called, and I didn't have to wait long at all). For other support numbers, dial 1-800-827-6364 and listen to the mile-long list of options.

I am not foisting off responsibility on AOL to fix this, or on you to work it out for yourself. I'm still researching on my end, but I think the best approach right now is to first try enabling cookies, and then calling AOL support to see what they say. Please let me know how it goes, and if that fails, I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks!

• Essential Songs: Garage Rock   14 years 23 weeks ago

2 words: Wooly Bully!

Great list; heck, I even love the Monkees' version of Kicks.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 23 weeks ago

Everyone I've known that's read it has.

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 23 weeks ago

Dylan delights (or at least used to delight) in telling various versions of his past. Some of his early press releases are quite a hoot to read. He also loves to give various meanings of songs, usually because he doesn't like to explain his work. I can understand this.

As far as Tarantino, I was alluding to that darned band-aid on the back of Ving's head. He originally claimed that it was a result of Ving cutting himself shaving, and that he thought it was more interesting to stare at than a featureless bald head. I tend to believe this story. Later, when the legends of Ving's soul being in the suitcase started circulating, people believed the bandage covered the place where the devil stole his soul from his body. Q originally denied this, but I have read at least one interview where he affirmed this tale. Sometimes fans of films create better explanations and legends for the work than their creators do (see similar Star Wars tales on this website), and perhaps too often, directors just go with it.

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 23 weeks ago

LOL. Just one question, is Harrison Ford's nose really that crooked or is it just a scanning mishap?

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 23 weeks ago

Interesting; I didn't know about Scott's earlier Bladerunner explanations. What are the Dylan and Tarantino stories?

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 23 weeks ago

Got "Redwall" at a book fair here in VA (Green Valley Book Fair, an excellent place where about 50% of the books in my library have come from). Very enchanting...more childish than I imagined it, however. I also just re-read "The Wizard of Earthsea" by LeGuin, and I'm having a heck of a time finding "The Tombs of Atuan"...the local library computer is a straight liar....

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 23 weeks ago

Eagerly awaiting my friend to finish with "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (which was purchased at 12:01 AM last Saturday morning) so I can get a crack at it. I hope that Ms. Rowling will wait for a bit before releasing the next book, if for no other reason than to quiet the unending hype of the media locked in the summer slump.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 23 weeks ago

What did you think of Vittorio the Vampire? I was very disappointed in it, it just didn't hold my interest the way the others did. I prefer it when she explores the minor characters, like Pandora.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 23 weeks ago

Hmm, my two cents (tho that whole "Star Wars" entry is a bit of a joke): in one of the few star wars novels that I have read when they started coming out about 6 years ago, I remember (vaguely) that the Kessel run was an extremely trecherous area of space (wormholes? dark matter?) and that running it was like running through a cave blind. There aparently wasn't a set course through to Kessel, so Solo's quick (or short) trip may well have been something to brag about. But again, I am not in any way a master of Star Wars trivial.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 23 weeks ago

I would say they were used for atmosphere, mainly. The Whole Wide World is set in Texas in the 30s I think, so the sepia gives both a period feel and also a "Dust Bowl" effect, and Commandments is about a man going through a very blue period (the premise is that he thinks God is out to get him, so as revenge he's going to break all the commandments - I find it very funny, he has all the commandments written down as a to-do list which he checks off).

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 23 weeks ago

Yep it sounds pretty harsh so far. But I think I'm really going to like it.

• Surprisingly Thought-provoking Movies   14 years 23 weeks ago

I thought Three Kings was a very effective indictment of Operation Desert Storm. Sure, I've seen articles on our real motivation for the war, and how we incited rebellion and then hung the rebels out to dry, but 3K did a great job of actually capturing that. In addition, it was very well acted (Mark Wahlberg surprises me again and again - when will I finally accept that he really can act?), with good characters that develop naturally. I have to imagine that it's hard to depict realistic character growth in just two hours, but thought that 3K did a nice job of it; it didn't rush to make our heros Do The Right Thing.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 23 weeks ago

I'll bite. Since I never gave the "Kessel Run" line a second thought, what's the problem and justification (I'd probably see the problem instantly if I took the time to look up the definition of "parsec").

• "FEEL GOOD" Movies (For women only. Sorry Guys!)   14 years 23 weeks ago

Regarding your City Slickers comment, I didn't realize that a mid-life crisis could kick in as early as 30 (I always figured 40 was the lower bound)! I'll have to keep on my toes. :)

• The   14 years 23 weeks ago

Perhaps I should have been a little more careful with my wording. I didn't mean shocking, exactly - more surprising. The opening shower scene, and Lester Burnham smoking up and giggling behind the building during the party were a little unusual (I thought), and the unexpectedness of these scenes made me laugh.

I can see how the mix of comedy/drama would be off-putting, instead of refreshing as I saw it.

• Best Novels I have Ever Read   14 years 23 weeks ago

Nice list. Having read my share of fantasy in my day, I'm surprised to see you list Eddings' Mallorean series but not his Belgariad series. Did you really prefer it?

• The   14 years 23 weeks ago

I agree about the acting; Annette Bening, Kevin Spacey, Thora Birch, and Wes Bentley were all great. I just couldn't go higher than pretty good on the ratings scale -- and can't figure why everyone else is so gaga over it.

I didn't see too much that was visually shocking -- even at the very end, when Spacey is killed and his blood splatters, it was pretty clean, compared to other movies and to real life. Three Kings' wound scenes were probably worse, and I'm sure there are others -- try The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover for instance.

I don't see this as a terribly heavy movie, really, nor do I see it as a fun film, so it kinda gets lost somewhere in the middle. But, yes, great acting and great cinematography.