• There are hundreds of lists here, and yet we only   13 years 51 weeks ago

Good point. And to preclude that dire possibilty, I would stipulate that any item chosen for me would have to have passed the test of time, would have to be a long-established classic.

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

Is #1 from "Dogma"? I think is was the Chris Rock character...?

• Hottest Actresses   13 years 51 weeks ago

You have forgotten the ultimate goddess, Angelina Jolie :)

And I agree totally about the true beauty in American Beauty

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

This has GOT to be "Caddyshack"!

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 51 weeks ago

Jim, I feel honored that you have seen fit to elevate Plot Number One to genre status. When I get around to adding to my own FbG list you'll see my choice for the slot.

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

oops again--jenhowel got it the day i suggested it...
    *note to self: read comments from the TOP DOWN...*

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

oops--just realized lbangs got it right the day before you did. sorry grvytunes!

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

Right on 30 as well!

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

Actually, this movie's more about gophers than monkeys:"Oh, Mrs Crane, you're a little monkey woman." HINT: The actor who speaks this line has an affinity for rodents - in one of his movies he kidnaps a rodent.

• Movies w. Apes or Monkeys that don't suck   13 years 51 weeks ago

AWWBL was one of Clint Eastwood's lesser efforts, in my opion, but Ed (I assume Ed's your boyfriend) might like it - it features a charming orangutan. The sequel's called ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN.

Btw, I'm heading on over to your Challenge List to issue a monkey-related challenge.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 51 weeks ago

Glad to see someone other than sk get one of this group. Not that I've got anything against sk; it's just that I was worried he might be the only one who'd have any idea.

It's been years since I've read it. I'll re-read it within the next few days and get back to you.

• Movies w. Apes or Monkeys that don't suck   13 years 51 weeks ago

Must see Mighty Joe Young again to check it out (the old one I mean, my dad LOVES it), Outbreak haven't seen/don't want to, Gorrillas in the Mist haven't seen/probably should, Dunston Checks In haven't seen/probably will not, Tarzan Disney can't decide whether it sucks or not. Could just be my Disney prejudices. Ed will probably not see.

• Movies w. Apes or Monkeys that don't suck   13 years 51 weeks ago

Man, I actually haven't seen King Kong, or if I have, don't remember it. Must put it on the to watch list. Jumanjii, yes, was pretty good! Haven't yet seen Any Which Way But Loose, but if it sucks, maybe I don't need to...

• Movies w. Apes or Monkeys that don't suck   13 years 51 weeks ago

Yes! How could I forget! A truly great ape gag! And a truly funny movie...

• Movies w. Apes or Monkeys that don't suck   13 years 51 weeks ago

Took me a minute to figure out Raiders. How about Trading Places?

• BREAK-UP MUSIC: for a boy or a girl....   13 years 51 weeks ago

hehehe, that Weird Al song is perfect... It sounds so much like a country love song until you listen to the words.

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 51 weeks ago

>>How long is it, by the way?

Well that's a rather personal question, don't you think? :)

Now that the ode to Python is out of the way, hrm... I don't remember exactly, but I'd say around an hour and a half.

If you're lucky, yours won't be like my copy, which had extremely poor sound quality... not enough so you couldn't hear, but enough to make it very annoying. Oh well- the price we pay for art =P

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 51 weeks ago

Thanks Jim. I'm also interested in post-Columbus American history, it's just that I've already read some of that and not so much of pre-Columbus history. But, I will definitely take a look at the Memory of Fire books.

Thank you for the recommendation. :)

• Can anyone help   13 years 51 weeks ago

Interesting. In an nutshell, we could start a Listology movie club, book club, and/or music club. We could have moderator(s) for each club, and I could make the moderator(s) into editor(s) that could post club updates to the home page. So a moderator/editor could post something like:

"The Listology book club will be discussing The Eternal Footman by James Morrow (couldn't resist) on May 15th. Check back then for the discussion."

The method of voting for/choosing books could be up to the each club. There's no reason why there couldn't be clubs for specific interests (classic movies, shakespeare, jazz, etc.).

So, the questions:

1. Anybody interested in participation and/or moderation?
    2. Is additional infrastructure required/desired to help these clubs? Possibilities:

• The ability to create a formal club that folks can join.
      • Each club gets their own page for announcements (in addition to the ability to make home pages announcements), club administrative tools, etc.
      • Voting mechanisms for choosing what to read/watch/listen to next (open to club members only)
      • Mailing lists

This will be alot of work, so unless there is much enthusiasm, I will probably wait to implement this stuff until the clubs have proven their appeal.

But those are only semi-random thoughts. Comments?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 51 weeks ago

He was an inch, perhaps two, under six feet, powerfully built, and he advanced straight at you with a slight stoop of the shoulders, head forward, and a fixed from-under stare which made you think of a charging bull."

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 51 weeks ago

"Over the weekend the vultures got into the presidential palace by pecking through the screens on the balcony windows and the flapping of their wings stirred up the stagnant time inside, and at dawn on Monday the city awoke out of its lethargy of centuries with the warm, soft breeze of a great man dead and rotting grandeur."

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 51 weeks ago

"Tears were impossible, yet tears were his heritage."

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 51 weeks ago

#6 = "On the Downhill Side" by Harlan Ellison (from Deathbird Stories). And I hadn't unpacked that book yet (and I had loaned out my Essential Ellison, so I couldn't check it instead). There. That wasn't nearly as humiliating.

• Movie Quote - identify the movie!   13 years 51 weeks ago

You liked it? I think the first few pages of the book (which correspond to the first 15 minutes of the movie) are exceptionally fine. The movie didn't do them justice, and I quickly lost interest in the movie after that.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 51 weeks ago

Yeah, I am always impressed by it. Have you seen other Zhang Yimou films? Of the ones I've seen, this is my list in order of preference:

1. Raise the Red Lantern
    2. To Live
    3. Ju Dou
    4. The Story of Qiu Ju
    5. Shanghai Triad

While I would recommend them all, I do think the first 3 are considerably better than the last 2. But I don't really have any well-articulated reasons for believing that. And I'd have to see Ju Dou and To Live again to decide which one I preferred.