•   14 years 13 weeks ago

If anyone is interested in silent films, an excellent, highly-recommended book on the silent film era is The Parade's Gone By..., by Kevin Brownlow. Originally published in the 60s, Brownlow was able to interview many of the silent film legends while they still lived, and his book is largely composed of these first-person accounts. Wonderful, and one of my favorite film books ever.

• top five reasons the RUSHMORE SDTRK kicks a**!!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hey man, Katherine! I really strongly agree with this list. Everyone must own the Rushmore soundtrack. It is indispensable and useful for many occasions, happy and sad. Also it's one of those CD's you can listen to all the way through without needing to change to something else for variety. It makes its own variety. Viva la Rushmore! May I also suggest the "Pillow Book" soundtrack. It is good for similar reasons but in a more artsy rainy day kind of way.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 13 weeks ago

No, but you obviously know your actors!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

#7 is "Country House" by Blur, and I will guess that #8 is "Sloop John B" by the Beach Boys.

• Movies I got to watch when I was under 15 that I probably shouldn't have   14 years 13 weeks ago

Ah Yes, Monte Python! I saw that one in the theater with my older brother when it came out. I remember I burried my head in the popcorn out of embarrasment!

Speaking of sex scenes I saw, how about Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange in The Postman Always Rings Twice? Quite steamy for a youngster.

Also, I should add violent movies to this list. Godfather I and II spring to mind. Or classic war movies which were my passion in second grade, such as Patton.

It's a wonder I'm not in jail, considering my upbringing!

• Can't Stop Listening to These Albums   14 years 13 weeks ago

You are one lucky fellow. I will allow you all the gloating you'd like, in fact do you have anything else to say? Believe me I never get tired of this particular subject. I'm assuming you saw them perform. Please tell me they weren't cocky fellows (did they have anything to be cocky about back then?)

• Movies that I have yet to see and must rent this summer (Under Construction)   14 years 13 weeks ago

This past Saturday, I sat down and watched Reservoir Dogs. It was amazing. Roth, Keitel, and Buschemi were great in the movie, and Tarantino set up and edited the movie really well although I found his character in the movie to be extremely annoying. There were a few things that I didn't like (the use of racial slurs, etc.), but overall the movie is likely to make an appearance on my favorite movies list. The ending was also great. I suggest that anyone who hasn't seen the movie view it this summer! Thanks to all those who suggested that I watch it.

• top five reasons the RUSHMORE SDTRK kicks a**!!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hey Barbie, nice list although I'm a bit disappointed to see that "Oh Yoko" was not mentioned. However, I commend you on your use of whilst and Brooklyn in the same sentence.

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 13 weeks ago

And I forgot Dinosaur which is playing at the Coronet here. (About the best theatre in town.)

• James Bond - the worst   14 years 13 weeks ago

I really like Moonraker simply for Jaws, one of the best 007 villains, although The Spy Who Loved Me is much better. A View to a Kill definitely deserves to be on this list, Tanya Roberts cancels out any positives provided by Christopher Walken. Timothy Dalton was not as great as Brosnan for the role, but Dalton's Bond movies had better stories. The 3 Brosnan films have gotten progressively worse; they are decent films, but pale in comparison to the superior early Connery films.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

#16 is Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning. #6 sounds like that Emerson, Lake, and Powers (Powell?) song ("come inside, come inside"). #11 sounds like REM. #14 and #17 are going to keep me up tonight, and it's too damn late for that. :)

• Books I read when I was too Young   14 years 13 weeks ago

My goodness. Were you assigned these books? If so, for the first three, where on earth did you go to grade school?

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

I'll admit it; I've yet to see The Killing. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks for the idea!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

Oh, those lyrics we mishear when we're young... Thanks!

• James Bond - the worst   14 years 13 weeks ago

Moonraker will always have a special place in my heart. First Bond movie I was allowed to see in the theater.

While I kinda liked Timothy Dalton, I found all his Bond movies to be completely forgettable.

However, my all-time worst Bond experiences are easily The Man With the Golden Gun and The World is Not Enough. Boring beyond belief.

• 10 Movies I'd Take to an army By Private Hrvoje   14 years 13 weeks ago

I agree that Patton should be there, as well as, The Longest Day. I'm not sure whether a great prison camp movie was a consideration for this list, but Bridge on the River Kwai and Stalag 17 are exceptional.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hint: Yossarian was probably this author's most famous character.

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

I LOVE the choices of Bringing Up Baby, Once Upon a Time in the West. All About Eve, Raiders, 2001, Psycho, and Beauty and the Beast. Like Jim, I would have chosen Toy Story, but Bug's Life is great. Heist-gone-wrong is a good cjoice for a genre, but I prefer Kubrick's The Killing over Asphalt Jungle, which is very good.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 13 weeks ago

"Plain Old Jim." I like that. If I ever get new business cards, I'll have to print that on them. Or maybe, "Just Jim".

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

An unconventional choice, picking A Bug's Life over Toy Story. I wouldn't expect anything less. :)

Wasn't LA Story wonderful? I remember being one of the few people in the theater to laugh throughout.

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 13 weeks ago

Well you've got to create some book lists so I can tell if our tastes are similar. :)

• Can't Stop Listening to These Albums   14 years 13 weeks ago

You can always go in and edit a list that you've created by clicking on "my profile" and then the list that you want to edit.

And allow me a moment of shameless gloating . . . I was going to school in Charlottesville when DMB formed, and they played every Tuesday night at a local club for something like $5. Wonderful band.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

also, i meant to tell you, the last word of the quote should actually be "sunshine." as in, "i get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine." it rhymes, get it?

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

I enjoyed Toy Story, but A Bug's Life was somewhat suspenseful and had me on the floor laughing. I feel it is a case of creating something novel, then perfecting it. I'd recommend both films.

Glad to hear someone else liked LA Story. The film is very flawed, but it is also a rare case of synergy. The film was greater than the sum of its parts. Martin can crack me up like nobody, and for once, the gushiness actually affected me. I love the film, and I'll take it over the cold, calculated corn of Sleepless in Seattle or While You Were Sleeping anyday.

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 13 weeks ago

Although "Small Time Crooks" was funny, it wasn't funny enough to beat out "Gladiator" if you can only see one movie . . .but if you're going to rent, an interesting movie is the French "Horseman on the Roof." Romantic adventure. Enjoy!