• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 50 weeks ago

Darn it! #48 is in that compilation of short stories by Asimov that I have at home!!!
    It's one of my favorite stories in the book, and I think in the forward Asimov claims to be slightly jealous of the author (first name Cyril?) because his first story became a classic. Is that right? Ahh, but I can't think of the name, and I can't check it until I get home!

• There are hundreds of lists here, and yet we only   13 years 50 weeks ago

You are right, it was music, not books. Music made for a more entertaining programme, especially on the radio.
    I hesitate to be positive about your variety point, not having made up either a very extensive group of favorites, or DIL's. But I'm pretty sure that my DIL's would have more variety than my favorites. After all, having favorites doesn't preclude the enjoyment of a wide variety of non-favorites, while a DIL is exclusive.
    But, please, let me pick my own DIL. The possible surprise of a undiscovered diamond would almost always be replaced with chagrin that I now really had 9 of mine, and one more that I wouldn't have picked. And think how I would feel, opening up my little chest and drawing out my precious nine companions, and finding that the 10th, selected by another, was American Psycho!

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

Dude. DUDE!

*smile* I'm glad SOMEone sees things my way about baseketball

As for Cannibal: The Musical, it's definitely worth the time you'll probably spend finding it. I live in fairly affluent suburb of L.A.... There are, therefore, like 2 dozen video stores in town, and one, count 'em one had Cannibal. And, most spectacularly of all, it was filed under "Documentary" :)

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

dude, don't be ashamed of Baseketball! Everybody likes to laugh, right? And what beats a movie where an entire conversation takes place exclusively with the word "dude." Dude. Gotta see Cannibal the Musical.

• movies i regret seeing   13 years 50 weeks ago

you see, this list isn't *all* about violence... it also includes movies i feel were a serious waste of time--and this movie definitely qualifies there. i just remember that it left me feeling void and empty. not to mention that i find michelle pfeiffer nearly intolerable...

and i can handle a stereotypical storyline if it's done well, but despite the fact that this was based on a true story, the filmmakers managed to squeeze every bit of realism out of the film. let's just say it struck me and several others as completely unbelievable and uninspiring.

• My Favorite Movies by Genre (Under Construction)   13 years 50 weeks ago

:) I'll figure out where to put it. I became a fan quite by accident. I just kept coming across her movies, and I couldn't stop watching them. And I'm not usually one to stop on AMC either!

• My Favorite Movies by Genre (Under Construction)   13 years 50 weeks ago

Logan's Run came out a little less than a year before SW, I believe. And look at the difference!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 50 weeks ago

Jim, you said you had several new challenges to issue. Where are they?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 50 weeks ago

HINT re. # 6: I speculate that Jim should know this one.

Sorry if this leads to more humiliation for you Jim, but this is the unidentified that's been on the list for the longest time, and it really should have been claimed before this.

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

D'oh, this'll teach me to log in first

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

Yeah, in reply to both jim and sk, I feel the movie is a great one, and indeed has some of the best lines around, not least of which is sk's quote, which I also can't believe isn't up at the imdb site. Great site you linked there, jim.

I still think my all-time fav from tombstone is "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

Kinda sums up relationships between men and women, doesn't it?

heh, and I'll be the first to admit that the scene at the end, when Wyatt showed Doc the book he wrote, I got a little misty-eyed ;)

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 50 weeks ago

Yes it is.

• Can anyone help   13 years 50 weeks ago

Re. question 1: count me in for participation - as for moderation, I'm an extremist [forget I said that] - no, I mean maybe when my Challenge Lists have quieted down.

Re. question 2: some of these measures would probably become necessary, but, yes, cross them bridges when you've fallen in the river.

• There are hundreds of lists here, and yet we only   13 years 50 weeks ago

Over here, no.

About that BBC program: I seem to recall that it was called "Desert Island Discs", which would make it about music. That was the original radio version. The television version, which I never saw, may well have been about books. (Actually I have no memory of having heard the radio show either, though I must have heard it advertised.)

You seem to be saying that you would want your DI items to have more variety (the spice of life) than your Favorites items - no? Interesting idea. Let me suggest, then, that your DI list might include some items that you had not yet experienced (perhaps because you saw them as 'not your cup of tea'), but that had great reputations. What better way to combat boredom than being forced to appreciate something new - new to you, that is. So, by this reasoning, a DI list would ideally be a collaborative product, some items being chosen by you, some by someone with different tastes than you (different, but on the same cultural level, perhaps). For example, I prefer instrumental to vocal music, so I'm not into opera or the mass, and I have neglected some of Bach's best - I have listened to his "Goldberg Variations" much more often than his "St Matthew Passion". What do you think of this idea? Perhaps we could collaborate on our DI lists and choose some of the items for ourselves and some for each other.

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

I have no shame regarding Tombstone as a matter of fact it made one of my lists. Thanks for the great lines site. They missed my favorite for this film: Wyatt to Doc right before the OK Corral shootout, "You don't have to get mixed up in this Doc. It's not your fight." To which Doc replys, "That is one hell of a thing for you to say to me."

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 50 weeks ago

This type of list is certainly welcome.

I thought I could help you with "History of the Americas before Columbus." But I remembered incorrectly. Eduardo Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy (1, 2, 3) is marvelous, but it begins in 1492.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 50 weeks ago

Dammit, Jim! I considered this one myself not long ago. Now I can't remember where I found it. I'll get back to you - I hope.

• Books that make me want to live in them   13 years 50 weeks ago

Lestat and the wolves were indeed wonderful! I tend to find myself the most "in love" with Queen of the Damned, for some reason. I think it may be because it brings all of the vampires together for a moment-- Lestat, Louise, Armand, and numbers of other fascinating characters spend at least a brief moment at the end all living together in harmony. Just to live under that roof with all that history and all those stories would be enough (maybe) for me to consider becoming a vampire, at least in my imagination

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 50 weeks ago

Put away your blade, Antihero, you won't need it this time. What a relief - for me I mean. I'll have to be less subtle in my hints, I can see that now.

• Books I will never finish   13 years 50 weeks ago

It's just that Conrad's writing is so dense - I find that now that I'm not at school, I usually want relatively light reading when I get home from work. I should make an effort to do, say one serious novel a month.

• Books I Read in 2000   13 years 50 weeks ago

How did you like A Plague of Angels? Have you read any other Tepper books? It was not one of her better ones, in my opinion. And I kept expecting her to tell the reader where (in our world) it was taking place. If she did, I missed the clue.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 50 weeks ago

OK, maybe a few hints would stimulate some guesses on my challenges.

36 - Cat Stevens probably has not read this book.

37 - You could be forgiven for mistaking this novel for an evolution treatise if you indeed judged this book by its cover.

38 - Cult writer mostly known for his seventies work and a terrible film based on one (not this one) of his novels.

39 - A novel from last year; something of a cult writer.

40 - No one has guessed this yet? A classic, if slightly lesser known, novel by one of the greatest novel writers of all time. Many of his works were converted into films over the last few decades.

41 - This is the toughest of my challenges. I'm not dropping any hints only because I want to be amazed at the well-read genius who recognizes this one.

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

I also felt guilty about Tombstone until a friend reminded me of all the great lines.

And congratulations! The Listology has a fine tradition of guilt- and shame-inducing movie lists. Welcome aboard.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 50 weeks ago

The Listology. :)

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   13 years 50 weeks ago

ooh ooh, i think i've got it!

All it took was excruciating hints and a dogged perseverance on my part! woot :)

Now if it's wrong I shall have to commit seppuku =P

Journey to the West?