• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 12 weeks ago

And I forgot Dinosaur which is playing at the Coronet here. (About the best theatre in town.)

• James Bond - the worst   14 years 13 weeks ago

I really like Moonraker simply for Jaws, one of the best 007 villains, although The Spy Who Loved Me is much better. A View to a Kill definitely deserves to be on this list, Tanya Roberts cancels out any positives provided by Christopher Walken. Timothy Dalton was not as great as Brosnan for the role, but Dalton's Bond movies had better stories. The 3 Brosnan films have gotten progressively worse; they are decent films, but pale in comparison to the superior early Connery films.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

#16 is Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning. #6 sounds like that Emerson, Lake, and Powers (Powell?) song ("come inside, come inside"). #11 sounds like REM. #14 and #17 are going to keep me up tonight, and it's too damn late for that. :)

• Books I read when I was too Young   14 years 13 weeks ago

My goodness. Were you assigned these books? If so, for the first three, where on earth did you go to grade school?

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

I'll admit it; I've yet to see The Killing. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks for the idea!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

Oh, those lyrics we mishear when we're young... Thanks!

• James Bond - the worst   14 years 13 weeks ago

Moonraker will always have a special place in my heart. First Bond movie I was allowed to see in the theater.

While I kinda liked Timothy Dalton, I found all his Bond movies to be completely forgettable.

However, my all-time worst Bond experiences are easily The Man With the Golden Gun and The World is Not Enough. Boring beyond belief.

• 10 Movies I'd Take to an army By Private Hrvoje   14 years 13 weeks ago

I agree that Patton should be there, as well as, The Longest Day. I'm not sure whether a great prison camp movie was a consideration for this list, but Bridge on the River Kwai and Stalag 17 are exceptional.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hint: Yossarian was probably this author's most famous character.

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

I LOVE the choices of Bringing Up Baby, Once Upon a Time in the West. All About Eve, Raiders, 2001, Psycho, and Beauty and the Beast. Like Jim, I would have chosen Toy Story, but Bug's Life is great. Heist-gone-wrong is a good cjoice for a genre, but I prefer Kubrick's The Killing over Asphalt Jungle, which is very good.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 13 weeks ago

"Plain Old Jim." I like that. If I ever get new business cards, I'll have to print that on them. Or maybe, "Just Jim".

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

An unconventional choice, picking A Bug's Life over Toy Story. I wouldn't expect anything less. :)

Wasn't LA Story wonderful? I remember being one of the few people in the theater to laugh throughout.

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 13 weeks ago

Well you've got to create some book lists so I can tell if our tastes are similar. :)

• Can't Stop Listening to These Albums   14 years 13 weeks ago

You can always go in and edit a list that you've created by clicking on "my profile" and then the list that you want to edit.

And allow me a moment of shameless gloating . . . I was going to school in Charlottesville when DMB formed, and they played every Tuesday night at a local club for something like $5. Wonderful band.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

also, i meant to tell you, the last word of the quote should actually be "sunshine." as in, "i get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine." it rhymes, get it?

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 13 weeks ago

I enjoyed Toy Story, but A Bug's Life was somewhat suspenseful and had me on the floor laughing. I feel it is a case of creating something novel, then perfecting it. I'd recommend both films.

Glad to hear someone else liked LA Story. The film is very flawed, but it is also a rare case of synergy. The film was greater than the sum of its parts. Martin can crack me up like nobody, and for once, the gushiness actually affected me. I love the film, and I'll take it over the cold, calculated corn of Sleepless in Seattle or While You Were Sleeping anyday.

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 13 weeks ago

Although "Small Time Crooks" was funny, it wasn't funny enough to beat out "Gladiator" if you can only see one movie . . .but if you're going to rent, an interesting movie is the French "Horseman on the Roof." Romantic adventure. Enjoy!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

I'm thrilled to take suggestions; just be careful and try to follow my 'one quote per artist' rule. If you have any doubts, email me at lbangs@hotmail.com to clear it.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

Jim -- The Emerson, Lake, and Palmer song you're thinking of is Karn Evil 9. "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Step inside, step inside." I agree that they intentionally found P's so that the band could continue to be called ELP.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

How 'bout this one: "His head was found in a driving wheel" (extra credit for identifying the original and the cover).

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

Correct on both accounts. Great!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

Correct on 6, which is You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. 12's not the Dylan pick (although he is on the list somewhere...), and I've limited the list to one quote per artist, so that rules out the Beatles for 19. You are thinking in the right mode for 19, however.

Good job.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

11 is Nightswimming. Sorry, but someone beat you to the punch on 16, which is Beds are Burning. I've limited the list to one quote per artist, and since The Beatles are already on there (see below), that rules them out fo 19. Not a bad guess at all, though.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 13 weeks ago

16 is indeed Beds are Burning. Good job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 13 weeks ago

Right author (of course), but wrong book.