• THE GREATEST GUITAR WIZZARDS   14 years 8 weeks ago

i realy can not understand what's so great about page

• Concerts I've Seen Live (long list)   14 years 8 weeks ago

LOL! i forgot--i saw the Spin Doctors too... back when they only had a demo out. and i got to jump around with them in one of this bizarre inflatable castle at SUNY Fredonia--how funny. i guess i have to go add them to my list of live shows now. thanks for the flashback.

• Top 9 Chick Singers That Really Rock!!   14 years 8 weeks ago

yeah, and i'm not sure ani would approve of being on the same list with her... :)

• My Top Ten Favorite Musical Soundtracks   14 years 8 weeks ago

hey, that's cool--i was in Once on this Island in high school. it was great--a bit like the Little Mermaid, don't you think? so were you in any/all of these?(the only other things i've been in are Leader of the Pack and Anything Goes.)

• Has anybody seen Gladiator yet? Is it wort   14 years 9 weeks ago

Actually, with all respect, I will direct my complaint to the film. Commodus was a warrior well before he was emperor. He knew of warfare, and from all evidence, was an excellent fighter, never losing a fight to the best gladiators or wild beasts. The emperor in the film, goaded by his cowardice, went to pains to avoid military involvement. Despite this, he jumped in the ring to fight the greatest general in the land. True, the general was wounded but still... I found it very unbelievable. If you didn't, cool. Just one person's opinion here, and I am definitely in the minority.

As for the fight scenes, I still say they were weak. The sound editing was excellent, and the clashing of swords and spears might almost make one skip over the fact that the editing was rotten. Almost...

And yes, I also enjoyed Crowe's acting. I enjoyed all the acting. I just didn't feel that it was enough to carry the film.

Thanks for the comments. I enjoyed them.

• Top 10 of 1999   14 years 9 weeks ago

Regarding Malkovich, I loved the first half, and thought it was easily the most original movie of last year. However, the second half lost a lot of momentum, concerning the puppeteering direction. Also, I was not crazy about the ending concerning the elderly group.

• Top 10 Cary Grant movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

I saw Gunda Din once, a long time ago. I should see it again; I know it is considered as one of the best pre-40's action movies along with a couple Errol Flynn movies.

• Top 9 Chick Singers That Really Rock!!   14 years 9 weeks ago

ani rocks!!! love you babes!....tiddlywinks

• Top 10 Cary Grant movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

Good list, although surely you simply forgot Gunga Din, which I prefer to most of the bottom six on your list? North by Northwest would be the exception.

• Top 10 of 1999   14 years 9 weeks ago

Very interesting. While I am not a fan of October Sky or Election and have yet to see American Pie, Cookie's Fortune, or Fight Club, I definitely enjoy the other films on your list. Where is Being John Malkovich?

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

Thanks! While I didn't enjoy Casablanca quite as much as Citizen Kane, let that be no slight to Casablanca, which is a great film.

As for Double Idemnity and Big Sleep, I love both of them. I still prefer the tight, dark Maltese to the atmospheric Big Sleep, but it's not an easy call. I haven't seen Double Idemnity in quite a while, which may account for its absence here.

By the way, I recently realized to my horror that I somehow left out Lawrence of Arabia. I'll have to work it in somehow later...

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

And I am shocked to find someone with taste who agrees with so much of my sacred cow butchering (OK, trimming). Refreshing.

I agree that Schindler, while a fine film, is simply not one of Spielberg's best. Close Encounters particularly springs to mind.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

The play is better than the film, but neither really interested me much. Again, lots of Shakespeare in-jokes, which largely accounts for its high esteem with educated people. They enjoy encountering material they have studied in a novel setting. Too bad Stoppard has not a whit of the Bard's talent.

As for Grease, I agree that Channing gave a great performance. It is the only bright spot in a very dim film. I enjoy many silly films; this just wasn't one of them.

• Ten Seriously Funny Movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

Bertie, I just rented MofMC, and it was hilarious. Definitely vintage Sturges with the madcap situations and the wonderful supporting performances especially the Constable (father). Thanks for the suggestion.

• anxiously awaited movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

having finally seen last days, i can say that i did, indeed, like it. but i can also totally understand it being easy not to like it; it's definitely one of those movies like before sunrise (which admittedly it's been a *long* while since i last saw, but which is the only thing i can think to compare it to right now) which is *all* talk, and thus really hard to get into. but thanks for all the tips....maybe someday soon i'll try to catch stillman's other movies. they're definitely on my list of movies to see. :)

• anxiously awaited movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

I'll have to agree. Last Days was vintage Stillman, and I didn't care for Barcelona. Metropolitain, on the other hand, I found somewhat more likeable. The thing that most bothers me about Stillman is that it always seems like each character has the same voice, and their "character" is made up of what they talk about. Rather drab.

• Nasty torture scenes that even affect the strong at heart ( under construction)   14 years 9 weeks ago

An understandable assumption. :-)

Of course you are right. I can only plead that I thought almost everyone had seen this film. I'll use the spoiler tag in the future.

Hope you don't mind me cloaking your post, sk. I realize most folks probably know how it ends anyway, but there have to be a few that don't. And as a reminder to the whole gang, please read this before posting spoilers.

• Pearls of Wisdom from Joni Mitchell Lyrics   14 years 9 weeks ago

1. Clouds (Clouds
    2. Same Situation (Court & Spark)
    3. Cactus Tree (I had to look this one up, although I knew the song, I didn't remember the name.) I have it on Miles of Aisles
    4. The Priest (ladies of the Canyon?)
    5. Please tell me, becasue I'm singing it in head!

• Hottest Actresses   14 years 9 weeks ago

I just saw American Beauty this weekend ( in the $1.00 Theatre) and do have to agree that Thora Birch is the real beauty. Although, I think that a lot of that was purposeful.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 9 weeks ago

The scraping sound you hear is me trying to remove # 47's egg from my face. Mars Is Heaven...Ray Bradbury

I was thinking of the final scene where Wallace was tortured to death.

I've never seen Black Robe; I do recognize the title. I did not make this list because I enjoy these scenes, I just thought it was an interesting subject for a list. In actuality, I am extremely squeamish with violent films. Therefore, I may not be capable of watching Black Robe. Although if there is only one isolated nasty sequence, then I should be able to take it.

Braveheart has alot of violence, but it is a war movie, so the violence is expected. I guess the one truly nasty scene is the "nobleman" who is crushed while in bed. The scene is aquick violent scene, but I would not exactly consider it torture. Maybe this is not the scene you were thinking of; its been many 5 years since I've seen Braveheart. The main reason I excluded Braveheart is that it never came to mind.