• Ten Best Films Of The 1980's   15 years 17 weeks ago

Btw, you missed a decade. I'm sure the 70s were real, though you could be forgiven for believing they were made up by satirists.

• Whose line is it?:Lyric Challenge(props to jeffro)   15 years 17 weeks ago

That's right taryn...kudos, that was kind of a tough one.

• Ten Best Films Of The 1980's   15 years 17 weeks ago

THE RIGHT STUFF taught me to be careful, when you recommend a movie, that you are recommending it to people capable of appreciating it. After watching the video with a group of friends I had urged it upon, the most positive comment I heard was, "Gee, it was long, wasn't it."

• Isolation Drills by Guided By Voices...****1/2   15 years 17 weeks ago

You got that right dude. I was fortunate enough to get a copy prior to release.

• Name the Group/Artist From the Album   15 years 17 weeks ago

#100 is Revolting Cocks...

• Ten Best films of the 1960's   15 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah, Kubrick ruled the 60s.

• Favorite Female Singers   15 years 17 weeks ago

Bjork

• Ten Best Films Of The 1940's   15 years 17 weeks ago

Anyone who can't believe that Hollywood made a great movie in the 1940s about drug addiction should see THE LOST WEEKEND. The drug is alcohol, but addiction is addiction and this movie shows what hell it can be. The peak of Ray Milland's acting career.

• Once was more than enough for me.   15 years 17 weeks ago

Gee, 80% of these are merely wonderful. You could only watch them once?

• Favorite One Hit Wonders   15 years 17 weeks ago

Shattered Dreams.

• Favorite One Hit Wonders   15 years 17 weeks ago

Burning For You, Godzilla, Joan Crawford.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

Do you mean to say that Listology hasn't made you a fortune yet? :)

And, I can sympathize with not having a taste for brandy. My end table would have a home-brewed beer on it instead.

• Favorite One Hit Wonders   15 years 17 weeks ago

#4 is Only The Lonely and the group is The Motels not The Hotels. Incidentally they had about four top 40's.
    Take The L.
    Suddenly Last Summer
    Only The Lonely
    and some other one I cant think of...

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

Sadly, it's in a combination playroom/TV room/guest room. The dedicated library will have to wait until I've made my fortune. I'll probably never acquire the taste for brandy though. :-)

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

Interestingly enough, when I got home last night, there was a box in the mail from a friend who lives in San Diego. I opened it and inside was a book I'd loaned him nearly 5 years ago. I'd actually forgotten I'd even given it to him.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

I agree with you too, sebreg. I don't know how much I reminisce when I look at my collection, since I have a horrible memory and often don't recall much of what I've read. But I do at least remember the time in my life when I read a particular book when I look at it.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

I like the window into personalities description. I think that's a lot of it and why most of us put our books on display. It gives others an idea of who we are and what we find interesting. Thanks for phrasing it so nicely, Jim.

• THE SONGWRITERS GAME: WHO WROTE THESE?   15 years 17 weeks ago

I'll give you 18, but you will have to be more specific on 6. Look it up I dont care. It was Badfinger.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

Is this new book shelf in a special "library" room? I wonder if anyone has the library that you see in the movies, a separate room with a nice chair, a glass of brandy on an end table, nothing else in the room except for books...

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   15 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah Min.. you got both of those. Good job.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

My books tend to never get returned once I loan them out. And, I do admit, I've got maybe 5 to 10 books that people have loaned me that I haven't had a chance to get to.

• Movie quotes from more real movies.GET TO IT!   15 years 17 weeks ago

Thats alright Min. I think I made these a little tough.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

I keep recommending books to people but won't loan them to everyone. I've had too many books come back taped back together and I'll admit it, I'm kinda uptight when it comes to the condition of my books.

• Hopefully Fun Movie Quote Quiz   15 years 17 weeks ago

Isn't it great? One of my favorite pleasant surprises. In fact, I recently picked up a used copy on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it the second time 'round.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 17 weeks ago

I like having them around. Even though they are worthless X-th edition unsigned trade paperbacks, and I only refer back to or loan out a handful of them, they comprise a collection of sorts. I like the fact that it's kinda a window into our (mine and my wife's) personalities. Whenever I visit somebody I check out their books, and I'm sure my friends do the same. It's just plain interesting to see what folks read. I'm sure it's a form of insecurity that I like owning and showing off the books I've read rather than being content in the knowledge that I've read what I've read, but that's okay. We all have our vices and vanities.

And while it's a fairly expensive way to decorate, I think a wall full of books looks good and makes for an inviting room. When I visit people that don't have any books around I find it a bit depressing. That they might be voracious library readers never occurs to me (mostly because most people I know that are voracious library readers still own a fair number of books).

It's only recently that I've disciplined myself to not buy books that will take me forever to get around to reading. I only read about an hour or less a day these days, so my "to read" pile's turnover rate is depressingly slow.