• The Album Game III (couldn't resist)   15 years 6 weeks ago

10..the breeders
    27..enya
    43..sugarcubes

that's all I can remember now

• Movie Club (aka Movie Discussion Group) Anyone!   15 years 6 weeks ago

I'd be interested. Depends mostly on how many movies a month you are thinking. :) I have to make sure I have enough time to read the book club book of the month. :)

• Embracing AND Defeat   15 years 6 weeks ago

I agree that it's a great book, and I've been recommending it. As a compliment to it, you might want to try "Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan" by Herbert Bix, who is currently teaching in a Japanese university. It is also thick and a heavier slog with all the Japanese names, but it covers the life of the last Emperor and makes a strong case that he was a major war criminal--essentially the same case that Dower makes. Bix, however, covers the history of Japan during the period 1910-1945 in much more detail than Dower, and the book also helps explain much of why some of the Japanese do what they do, and say what they say--especially publically and officially.

I was struck in Dower's book by the American arrogance, the idea that we will dictate through an American shogun--MacArthur--democracy. But a democracy that does not include unacceptable political parties or strong labor unions.

And we're still doing it. We absolutely believe in freedom of speech except when it applies to foreign doctors or medical personnel advising pregnant women about abortion.

Anyway, if you have any interest in history, "Embracing Defeat" is fascinating.

• Name the Group/Artist From the Album   15 years 6 weeks ago

5. All The Rage - General Public
    78. Women in Technology - White Town
    79. Spiders - Space
    87. Factory Showroom - They Might be Giants
    101. The Beast Inside - Nick Lowe
    104. Natural Ingredients - Luscious Jackson

• Embracing AND Defeat   15 years 6 weeks ago

Great review! Thanks for contributing it here. I've never read much on Japan myself, but my father-in-law can't get enough Japanese literature and history. I'll definitely forward the link to this review to him.

• Clint Eastwood : best films he directed   15 years 6 weeks ago

Whoa! Bold move having A Perfect World top Unforgiven. Care to elaborate on its superiority? Was it at least close? :-)

• bands with stand-up drummers   15 years 6 weeks ago

Simply put, as illustrated above, these are STAND-UP not STAND-OUT...a list of outstanding drummers could go on and on, and frankly, many of taryn's would not make my cut...props to taryn

• THE SONGWRITERS GAME: WHO WROTE THESE?   15 years 6 weeks ago

3.Carole King
    4.Bowie & lennon
    9.prince
    10.carole king & gerry coffin

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 6 weeks ago

So far my local video store carries The Sopranos, but no other TV that I know of. I'll keep an eye out though, and definitely rent a few if I have a chance.

• 10 Artists/Groups I wish I had never heard   15 years 6 weeks ago

BTW...what are you man, the Listology Sheriff....I'll reply as i feel necessary. Have a nice day
    =)

• Name the Group/Artist From the Album   15 years 6 weeks ago

bada bing

• Name the Group/Artist From the Album   15 years 6 weeks ago

2.is actually just The Glove but close enough
    31.correct
    45.not the one I'm looking for

• 10 Artists/Groups I wish I had never heard   15 years 6 weeks ago

Tiffany was probably the biggest musical scam, aside from Milli Vanilli, to ever hit the American airwaves. She did this cover of "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tommy James and she accompanied it with this retarded dance thing involving her head and her right hand. It almost reminded me of a seizure...it was dreadful. As for Alanis...good music, but she feels it is necessary to open her mouth.

• bands i once thought were promising but didn't deliver   15 years 6 weeks ago

Liz Phair

Exile was one of the best albums of the 90s. She sadly hasn't released a truly arresting album since...

• 0008: Harrison Ford's Ten Best Films   15 years 6 weeks ago

I would almost consider American Graffiti, but that was a supporting role. This list looks like his starring vehicles. I really like Blade Runner but I cant see it being better than any of the Star Wars Trilogy. Then again I did love Blade Runner and I respect your opinion. I didnt care for The Fugitive that much either.

• 10 Artists/Groups I wish I had never heard   15 years 6 weeks ago

It had to be unless..well I won't say it at the risk of being offensive...this will be updated soon, as there are many more that i need to get off my chest

• bands i once thought were promising but didn't deliver   15 years 6 weeks ago

On the contrary to an above post, I think Live still has the chops to make good music. As for the others, they're all done. Bush sssucked from day one.

• Concerts I Have Attended   15 years 6 weeks ago

I cant wait either Roy W. that show is gonna be good. We've been waiting for these guys awhile now, and it looks like we're gonna pull it off brother!

• Netflix Anyone?   15 years 6 weeks ago

Hey, Jim! I've been using NetFlix.com for about a year now, too. Their selection is great. The web interface is nice as well. As LBangs mentions they can be slow at times. My last great experience with slowness was around Christmas though so this might have been related to the USPS as well.

I've noticed there are a number of other Rent DVD by Postal Mail places out there now. I was considering compiling a chart to see if the others were as good or better to see if I could save myself some money.

Currently I pay $19.95 a month for unlimited DVD rentals. With my plan you can have up to 4 out at any given time. They also have an 8 disc plateau for twice that amount.

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   15 years 6 weeks ago

38. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    73. Im going with Styx
    6. is Boston
    3. is the Grateful Dead

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   15 years 6 weeks ago

22 is David Toop
    69 is David Bowie isn;'t it co-written with Phillip Glass?

• Netflix Anyone?   15 years 6 weeks ago

I'm a member of Netflix. It is a fairly good outfit. They are slow at times getting new discs out to you (they'll claim they haven't received your old discs back yet, but the truth is that they are simply slow at times), but the selection can't be beat. I recommend it.

I sent an email about the slow turnaround time, and while they profusely denied that they had received the disc earlier than they claimed, I notice my turnaround time went down by a week afterwards. So if you have any problems, email them.

• THE SONGWRITERS GAME: WHO WROTE THESE?   15 years 6 weeks ago

Springsteen on 1 and 2 was a collabaration of Bruce and Ms. Smith
    7.Kris Kristoffersen I know that is spelled wrong
    11. Carl Perkins
    9.I think is Strong/Whitfield but who really knows who wrote all that Motown stuff.
    12. i thought was a Page/Plant song.
    6. is Paul McCartney

• The Smiths' Great Songs   15 years 6 weeks ago

That was said with a big smile, by the way. No offense meant, my friend.

• Top Ten movies (in progress)   15 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliment. I, too, think it's really important to hear WHY people like what they do. Other people may like the same movies I do, but for entirely different reasons. I don't think discussion should be limited to, or focussed on, those who disagree about movies. For example, I discovered something new to like in Ferris Bueller's Day Off from a list by UncRoger - I think it was called "Surprisingly Thought-Provoking Movies" or something.

I'm also glad to see you responded to two of my sentimental favorites. Even if those two weren't good films (which they are), I'd love them just the same. In the case of Anne, I'm a big sucker for anything that is touching without being sappy.