• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 19 weeks ago

'fraid I haven't read them, as I say often. Guess my folks steered me towards the more "boy books", tho I did like the Ramona series by...dang, who'sherface.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 19 weeks ago

I believe he had a few more roles after Being There, although BT did give him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor!

I understand about not liking a film on first viewing you eventually end up loving. For this reason, I try not to be too out-spoken about disliking a well-respected film until I have seen it at least twice. Goodness knows it's not because I'm shy or soft-spoken!

I'm thrilled somebody enjoys this gem of a film!

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 19 weeks ago

I have read portions of his History of Europe, which I liked. I have not read his newer History of the Twentieth Century yet. A friend of mine who has complained that it falters a bit toward the end. She claimed that his lack of understanding of newer developments such as the Internet made passages a bit laughable. I have no idea how apt her observations are, but there you go.

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 19 weeks ago

While it might take awhile, given the molasses-like pace with which I'm crawling through my to-read list, I'm definitely going to tackle the Fagles first (since I own them). I read them each once in high school, but I don't know what translation they were. In any case, I'll add the Chapman translations to one of my buy/borrow lists, thanks!

• To Buy/Borrow, Home/Handy   14 years 19 weeks ago

If we ever tackle that job upstairs, I'll be sure to check with you first, thanks!

• Resonant Movies, Tier Two   14 years 19 weeks ago

Ha! Not quite what I had in mind. :) However, I have to admit that I re-examined this list, and I recalled all the movies on it quite clearly EXCEPT for S&S. Note its departure...

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 19 weeks ago

I preferred A Bug's Life, mostly because I enjoyed the characters more. Also, while both were impressive, I preferred the character animation style in ABL. Finally, my interest in seeing Small Time Crooks aside, I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, and Antz was too much a Woody Allen movie for me.

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 19 weeks ago

Jim, I'd like to know what you thought of Antz. I've heard some critics say (who they were, I can't remember) that although A Bug's Life did better at the box office Antz was the better of the two. I thought A B L's characters were more endearing. Perhaps I feel this way thanks to my two year old nephew who watched the movie, oh about 15 times, and this helped me learn to love them.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 19 weeks ago

Some further hints to stimulate guesses:

36 - The author has already been guessed, so all I'll add is that this is something of a children's story. Sorta.

37 - This author was recently mentioned on the site. For this quote, it is very important to know one's Self.

38 - This author has been talked about quite a bit lately, as he has finally released another novel. Cult writer, Seattle, recent new novel. A few people here have cited this as a favorite.

40 - A film version is being released soon and, I believe, played at Cannes this year.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 19 weeks ago

Based solely on your hint, I'll guess The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane. I thought that line sounded familiar, and if that's the source, then I now know why.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 19 weeks ago

Oh, I just feel guilty getting a book quiz entry based on film knowledge. Ben Hur, by Lew Wallace.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 19 weeks ago

Not sure I take your meaning here, lbangs. The hint was given in order that someone might get the answer and claim the identification.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 19 weeks ago

Good job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 19 weeks ago

HINT re. #60: I know some of you must surely have been assigned this at school. It's a famous Civil War novel.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 19 weeks ago

Not quite yet. #49 Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag by Country Joe MacDonald and the Fish.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 19 weeks ago

Sorry, buber, can't help you there.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 19 weeks ago

Great news! I just discovered that Fireworks will be released on DVD in the next two weeks, making every film on this list now available on the format. Excellent.

• Best Disney Movies   14 years 19 weeks ago

Hercules rather than Beauty and the Beast? Oh, Martin...

Oh well, I salute you for leaving The Lion King off the list. I also agree with you on prefering Toy Story 2 to the first one.

L. Bangs (a noted Hercules hater)

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 19 weeks ago

I very much enjoyed Wicked, as well as Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by the same author. But I'm really big on alternate viewpoint stories of any kind, I always like to hear the other side of things.

• The WORST movies I have sat through   14 years 19 weeks ago

My vote for worst movie ever is The Avengers. Taken together with Batman and Robin, makes you wonder what on earth happened to Uma Thurman.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 19 weeks ago

Being There - I've seen this movie several times -the first time, I absolutely hated it - the second and all the subsequent times, I loved it - guess it was my frame of mind the first night (some 20 years ago). Peter Sellers - extremely talented man - he was one of those actors that I sincerely felt sad when he died. If I'm not mistaken, this was his last film (?)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 19 weeks ago

Ender22d, can you verify this?

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 19 weeks ago

And to date myself, my grade school memories are replete with intercom annoucement of the shooting of John Kennedy. At the time I was also too young to understand the implications of history unfolding around me.

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 19 weeks ago

Thank you. I'll date myself here. I was in second grade (I believe), and the principal announced the news over the intercom. Of course, we were too young to really feel the impact of the crushing loss (I was almost 7), but the only other time I remember a similar announcement was when Reagan was shot and when the Challenger exploded, so I believe Lennon was the first. Obviously, for that sort of treatment to be given to an artist cued us into how important he was.

As I stated above, now I just feel robbed. I have no memories of Lennon first-hand; I only have the music and the memories of others. Of course, that's enough, but I want more.

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 19 weeks ago

I had just returned home from a five day trip and switched on the TV to catch the news. I remember thinking that this really is "the day the music died". Nice list anyway, lbangs.