user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

Correct on 6, which is You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. 12's not the Dylan pick (although he is on the list somewhere...), and I've limited the list to one quote per artist, so that rules out the Beatles for 19. You are thinking in the right mode for 19, however.

Good job.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

11 is Nightswimming. Sorry, but someone beat you to the punch on 16, which is Beds are Burning. I've limited the list to one quote per artist, and since The Beatles are already on there (see below), that rules them out fo 19. Not a bad guess at all, though.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

16 is indeed Beds are Burning. Good job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 8 weeks ago

Right author (of course), but wrong book.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

So were you wondering how I could make such a lousy guess (I really thought it sounded like a line from that "show that never ends" song of theirs) or were you correcting my "Palmer/Powell" thing ('cause it was Powers first, and then Powell later - you have to wonder if the "P" initial was required when they were looking for a replacement - in any case, I couldn't remember who they were when they made that song whose title I don't know (or were you telling me that it was Powers when they made That Song?))?

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

OK, #4 is Abba: Lay all your love on me (or the remake by Information Society, i suppose.) and #17 is Murray Head: One Night in Bangkok from the musical CHESS. and i *know* i know #15, but it'll come to me later...

• To Buy/Borrow, Miscellaneous Nonfiction   14 years 8 weeks ago

Jim, I've read the Simon Winchester, which was published here as THE SURGEON OF CROWTHORNE. I found it both deeply depressing and highly uplifting - that's the 'after the last page' impression. Depressing because of the details of the horror of insanity, and uplifting because of the accompanying account of one of the most ambitious and incredibly successful writing/publishing projects ever undertaken. If either insanity or lexicography fascinate you - or if you're in the mood for something unusual and emotionally rollercoasterish [look that one up!] then consider it recommended.

• To Buy/Borrow, Home/Handy   14 years 8 weeks ago

Jim, you might expect that, being as I am in the building trade - sort of - I might have something to contribute here, but that's only what I do to earn a crust - my heart isn't really in it. However, I'd be happy to give you detailed tips pertaining to my occupation - assuming, of course, that they translate to your circumstances.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (under MUCH CONSTRUCTION)   14 years 8 weeks ago

For Horror Movie - Slasher, my I humbly suggest Psycho or the original Halloween?

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 8 weeks ago

Yes, Keats liked Chapman's Homer so much that he wrote a great sonnet about it.

I wasn't seriously suggesting THE ILIAD as history; I was only trying to get a rise out of Jim. You knew that, didn't you, Jim?

• Favorite Movies by Genre (under MUCH CONSTRUCTION)   14 years 8 weeks ago

I really love all the categories!!! Probably because I really like a lot of the movies-- but I really think the best christmas movie ever is "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

• Horribly Miscast   14 years 8 weeks ago

I believe Keanu Reeves worst miscast is actually in Dangerous Liasons, a movie I happen to love. I just feel like he's just popped out of his phone booth in some strange sequal to Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

Jim, I've only ever known them as Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. And I'm in no position to criticise anyone's lousy guesses :-)

• A Random Mix of Recommended Books   14 years 8 weeks ago

I have to agree with you about Jurassic Park being a very good read, even though dectective stories are my "genre reading." I have actually read it twice, and it is a very good read.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

6 = YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY / The Beatles. (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Jim.)
    12 is a Bob Dylan song, I think. 19 is early Beatles, but what?

• Books I read when I was too Young   14 years 8 weeks ago

I actually had this tendancy to pick up what my mother was reading at the time. I also read a lot of cheesy romance novels before I even understood what sex was, but I couldn't remember any of the titles. I was way to young to understand any of them.

The Old Man and the Sea, which I hated, was my mothers favorite book, and she suggested I read it.

Jane Eyre was my own pick, and I loved it, becasue she was an angry little girl, and so was I. I really only understood the beginning, before she grew up

BTW- I just think College is a better place to read Heart of Darkness, I was assigned it in both High School and College.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

Correct. Very good!

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 8 weeks ago

I will beg here. I have read the Iliad 8 times in 6 translations, and I have read the Odyssey 6 times in 4 translations. I have read countless books on these works. Fagles' translations are fine, but please o please consider for a moment the superior translations of George Chapman. Yes, they are old, they can take a bit of getting use to, and they are not word-for-word as accurate as Fagles, but they are the ONLY translations to render into English the very qualities of language that makes Homer so great and mighty in the Greek.

And fiction is definitely where Homer belongs. The Iliad probably was very loosely based on real events, but the work was not written down for a LONG time after the events, and the many anachronisms in the text probably hint at the true accuracy of the epic. To twist a phrase, no doubt only the names have remained unchanged.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

# 30 is The Last Time I Saw Richard, Joni Mitchell

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 8 weeks ago

How about "Jim, Lord of The Listology"?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 8 weeks ago

Helluva hint, Jim. PORTRAIT OF AN ARTIST, AS AN OLD MAN by Joseph Heller ?

• 10 Movies I'd Take to an army By Private Hrvoje   14 years 8 weeks ago

No Patton? I mean, that is an oversight, right? I mean, the fact that you didn't mention Patton starring George C. Scott. That was an oversight. Right? Please tell me you know that this is a silly mistake. Because Patton should be number one on this list.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

No, this song predates American Pie by a few years. I searched the lyrics of American Pie, and I'm pretty sure these lyrics do not occur there. This song does perhaps share a somewhat similar feel with American Pie, so you may be on the right path.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 8 weeks ago

I believe number 12 is American Pie by Don MacLean.

• 0002. Sadly Overlooked CDs of the 90s   14 years 8 weeks ago

Great! I believe the album peaked at number 8 in England, but didn't even make the charts in America. The inspired fusion of dance and rock music added to a delightful, eclectic kaleidoscope of styles missing from most albums today wins me over every time. They are easily some of the best songwriters to grace the genre. Their latest, XTRMNTR, might be my favorite CD of the year so far. It is quite a bit harsher and more electric, but a fine CD from a band I didn't expect much from anymore.