• Best Non-Beatle Rock Groups of the 1960s   14 years 20 weeks ago

The Mammas and the Papas may seem lame now, but they really had a very new vision of what harmony was like in a rock group. And I like them, they are also a lot of fun!

• Favorite Mystery Authors (of non-formulaic mysteries)   14 years 20 weeks ago

I just started reading the William Monk Series of Anne Perry's, and actually find them a lot less formulaic than the Charlotte Pitt/Inspector Pitt Series. I actually can't wait for the next book to come out, as I am very invested in the characters.

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 20 weeks ago

This is as great of a place to ask as any. I definitely will do Joni Mitchell. She was in the next five I had on my to do list, and since you requested it, I will move her to the top. I also am very interested to see how her albums turn out. I've little doubt that Court & Spark and Blue will pull 10s, but I am very curious to see how Hissing of Summer Lawns and others of her later albums pan out.

I'll try to post this by Monday afternoon.

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 20 weeks ago

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but would you consider doing one of these for Joni Mitchell? I would be highly interested.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 20 weeks ago

Isn't it funny that philosophical principles come in three, and in comedies, so do jokes? Just a thought....

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 20 weeks ago

The idea of this list is to leave your line unidentified as a challenge to other readers that they identify it. Try again. New challenges will be placed on Volume Two of the list. And I hope you appreciate that I resisted the temptation to make a snide remark involving your nickname.

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 20 weeks ago

I would recommend it. Perhaps not a 10 (some of the characterizations are a bit crude), but probably at least a 9 in my book. I'm more shocked, however, by its rating because it used to be a critic's darling. Growing up in the 80s, it seemed every critical source lavished their highest ratings or praise on the film. Now, obviously, things have changed. On the other hand, several of the films gaining a 9 were not nearly as highly praised a decade or two ago. Oh, those fun critical trends...

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 20 weeks ago

I can't help you here, seeing as I have never watched Touch of Evil. When I wanted to see it, it was nearly impossible to find for rental. When I finally found it, I read a restoration was heading for the big screen, so I put it off. Of course, that revival never came to my town, and now the film is in video limbo. Won't somebody please put that director's cut on DVD? After all, somebody already paid the megabucks to restore the film...

If you enjoyed Citizen Kane (which I love), you may enjoy The Magnificent Ambersons. These films are at least a bit similar in style and tone.

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 20 weeks ago

I relate. It is very humbling to approach a director you believe you know pretty well only to discover many films you had forgotten all about and have never seen! I need to get my DVD player humming!

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 20 weeks ago

Entirely too new, especially since I do not use any newspaper critics. I hope to have Gladiator added before the year's end, but doubt I'll have enough material until then. Glancing over the few critics I use that have reviewed it, it appears to it might end up somewhere close (perhaps directly above or below) Someone to Watch over Me, but again, that can easily move up or down dramatically when I get more critiques.

I was a little surprised Thelma & Louise beat Alien. I like both films (have both on DVD, for that matter), but I didn't realize how esteemed Thelma & Louise is. I'm not sure right now which one I prefer.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 20 weeks ago

Off the top of my head, other films I have enjoyed this year include Erin Brockovich, American Psycho, Ghost Dog, and Black and White. Perhaps Erin is the only other film that I enjoyed about as much as Chicken Run. I have not seen High Fidelity, Judy Berlin, or Time Code yet, but I hold out some measure of hope for both of them.

I may think of more later. Just avoid Mission to Mars.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 20 weeks ago

Gladiator too new?

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 20 weeks ago

I love these CC lists for many reasons, but the one that leaps to mind at the moment is that they remind me of how cinematically illiterate I am (there should be a word for that). I've only seen six from this list...

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 20 weeks ago

The only two Welles movies I've seen are Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil. I found Touch of Evil unwatchable. I think I only made it a third of the way through. I was surprised by how poor the acting was, and it kept me from being engaged by the plot.

So am I a complete heathen? Am I alone in thinking the acting was terrible? Did it really pick up in the latter 2/3, hence the universal critical acclaim?

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 20 weeks ago

Haven't seen it. I assume you recommend it?

• Humorous mystery authors   14 years 20 weeks ago

My mom keeps recommending that one too, but somehow I've never gotten around to them. Someday.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 20 weeks ago

Anything else come close? What are the other candidates?

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 20 weeks ago

Alas, I failed to make it away from the cursed time sink (the house, which we are painting this summer). Chicken Run is at the top of my list.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 20 weeks ago

I caught Chicken Run last weekend, and I believe it may well be my favorite film of the year so far! Yep, that's a recommendation!

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 20 weeks ago

so, what did you see?

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 20 weeks ago

Anybody else a bit shocked at Stalag 17's relatively low showing? Apparently, the critics aren't quite as in love with this film as they once were...

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 20 weeks ago

i was actually accessing listology through compuserve when i received the web error message....

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 20 weeks ago

The "restored, reconstructed" version of "Spartacus" shows just how much spectacle "Gladiator" stole from its 1960 ancestor. Director Kubrick had to line up literally thousands of people for his big battle scenes, which were tense without being excessively bloody. Scott would probably have 100 real people computer-cloned to make thousands for the same kind of scene.

Kirk Douglas was a wonderful slave leader (ignoring the then-fashionable crewcut). Tony Curtis was seriously miscast--but Ustinov was a real joy and the obvious inspiration for the gladiator trader in "Gladiator." Anybody else care to compare the two??

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 20 weeks ago

Oh, by the way, I have to say that I agree with your opinions concerning the outcome of the CC list. Actually, there are quite a few films I could lower a point or two, not to mention a few (Rope, for example), I could elevate a bit. I'll only disagree about Frenzy and Family Plot; I guess I am one of those old, cranky critics who can pass on anything Hitchcock created after the Birds, although Frenzy is easily one of the best of that later batch.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

Perhaps I will read it again, but I somewhat doubt I will enjoy it more. Perhaps you have mistaken assumptions concerning my intelligence? ;)

R&GAD is interesting but, ultimately, in my opinion, borrows too much to strike me quite the way it does other readers / viewers. It is hardly the first work to tackle the questions you mentioned above, and I simply don't find the humor or insights very novel or effective. If I were to like a play by Stoppard, it would probably be Travesties. I started reading it once, and although I haven't finished it yet, I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it. I found his tweakings of history and literature much more amusing and insightful in this work.