• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 7 weeks ago

Yeah, we own them both, and they routinely get the call when we're in the mood for animation.

Thinking of your favorite scenes (which are both great), it just occurred to me that the kitchen scene from The Little Mermaid is possibly my favorite Disney scene of all time.

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliments! But don't be too impressed. You'll notice that the items above the line are still above the line. I only get to read a few pages a day lately (fatherhood, homeownership).

Wait 'till you see my forthcoming "To Read, But not in my Possession" list. I find it simultaneously exhilarating and depressing that in my life I will only be able to read a molehill of the mountains of books available.

I continue to hear good things about The Confederacy of Dunces. I almost picked it up once, but the cover (I'm ashamed to admit) turned me off. I have added it to the aforementioned list. Now I just have to clean it up enough to post it...

• My Favorite Albums   14 years 7 weeks ago

I liked those too, but not quite as much as Crash, or the other albums on this list (I think). Still, you now have me considering it. I might have to add them. We'll see...

• IMO, there's nothing more intriguing than watching   14 years 8 weeks ago

har har

• THE GREATEST GUITAR WIZZARDS   14 years 8 weeks ago

yeaaaaah!!! morello rulez!!

• Sleepers of the 90's (not on other sleeper lists)   14 years 8 weeks ago

Jude was great! It was so good, it made me read Thomas Hardy (late 19th century author of, in addition to Jude-- Return of the Native and Tess of the D'urbervilles), who is hard to get through sometimes

The Little Princess, while much better than the Shirley Temple movie-- is nothing compared to the book. Once you have read the book, which is a children's classic from the late 1800's, I doubt you can appreciate the movie which seems very sanitized and PC.

I think one is just better off seeing the movie first, before reading the book.

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 8 weeks ago

Just remember, if you watch Gladiator, I told you so... ;) Erin Brokovich (currently making the dollar theater rounds) or U-571 would be a better choice, in my book. I haven't had the chance to see High Fidelity, but it is supposed to be good.

• Saturday Night Live: 10 Memorable Performances in the Last 25 Years   14 years 8 weeks ago

Elvis Costello breaking in mid-song to switch into a blazing version of Radio, Radio. Classic.

• Underappreciated Directors   14 years 8 weeks ago

Hal Hartley is probably the greatest director nobody has heard of. I am very happy to see him grace your list.

• songs i will play at my bellringing...   14 years 8 weeks ago

I transferred out. I attended Hampshire College from F91 to S93, and I spent a good amount of my time there either living or hanging out on G-3. I enjoyed my time at Hampshire, but I was a bit worried about the direction I thought it might be taking. I'd be curious to know if the school became more restrictive later in the 90s. I left mostly due to money issues. Not the cheapest college, ya know!

I do have several friends that did end up graduating from the college. Email me (i've already sent an email to your Hotmail address), and we'll chat.

• songs i will play at my bellringing...   14 years 8 weeks ago

noooo WAY!!!! hey LB, did you actually go there? the next question being, did you manage to graduate? only a few, proud people can make that claim since sooo many people drop out, leave, transfer, simply disappear...
    i'm thinking you transferred...? since you referred to it as your "old school." i'm curious to see what you have to say about it...

• I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to find a   14 years 8 weeks ago

Nope, I was thinking of the "Three Investigators" books, which featured a end-of-mystery wrap-up with Hitchcock.

• Favorite Blur Songs   14 years 8 weeks ago

Great choices! I'll add a few:

This Is a Low

Country Sad Ballad Man

For Tomorrow

Colin Zeal

Tracy Jacks

London Loves

Yoku and Hiro

Best Days

Fade Away

He Thought of Cars

On Your Own

Caramel

Everything off of KST's Live at Mile End

L. Bangs (who admits to being entirely too big of a Blur fan)

• I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to find a   14 years 8 weeks ago

Try the Library of Congress on-line catalog. Unfortunately, it only came up with two "Three Detectives" novels. btw, these aren't the Alfred Hitchcock presents books, are they?

• I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to find a   14 years 8 weeks ago

Well, the problem I had is that I had thought they were called the Three Detectives and then searched for any books that were in a series of that name, found the Brett name, and then went from there. So, a series of bad research steps on my part.

The books you describe are exactly what I was thinking about.

• songs i will play at my bellringing...   14 years 8 weeks ago

Bellringing, hmmm... Sounds an awful lot like my old school, Hampshire College. That's not your college by any chance?

• James Bond - the worst   14 years 8 weeks ago

Oh, surely Moonraker can find a comfortable home on this list...

• Pet Hates   14 years 8 weeks ago

Your comment prompts me to clarify: in the cases of DD and GH, it's not so much the movies as the personalities that rub me the wrong way - and in the case of EM it's the content and style of the movies more than the actor's personality.

• Ten Seriously Funny Movies   14 years 8 weeks ago

I've noticed your comments elsewhere on YF vs TP, and I wondered if you'd get around to this list. I have seen TP, but it was many moons ago; perhaps if I see it again I'll appreciate it more. It'll have to go some to overthrow YF in my estimation though.

Saw ZELIG and Terry Gilliam's BRAZIL on a double bill and they both blew me away. What a great day at the movies that was!

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 8 weeks ago

I already have a copycat for ENTRAPMENT (THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR) which I think fits better than MI, but I'm open to persuasion if you'd care to give me reasons why I should make the three movies a copycat triple.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 8 weeks ago

Yes, THE TRUMAN SHOW vs EDtv raises the old question: should movies be purely for entertainment or is there also a place for serious movies that get into important issues. And I suppose a version of the question can be asked about comedian-actors: should they stick to being funny or can they occasionally get serious.
    For myself, there is naturally a place for serious, even philosophical, movies. But I have to admit, when it comes to good comedians, I hate it when they get serious - and I abhor it when they get sentimental. Please God JC won't get sentimental.

• Ten Seriously Funny Movies   14 years 8 weeks ago

Tsk, tsk. I'll take Mel's The Producers over Young Frankenstein anyday.

But hey, I realize I'm in the minority here. Heck, anybody who has seen The Producers is probably in the minority... A shame.

Glad to see somebody remembers the fantastic Zelig.

• Pet Hates   14 years 8 weeks ago

I can understand and for the most part agree with these. I did enjoy Dollars and Everyone Says I Love You, but neither was a masterpiece, and Ms. Hawn certainly has many terrible films to answer for.

• James Bond - the worst   14 years 8 weeks ago

Ah but so much wasted potential! What else could you do with such a God-awful mess of a movie but blow everything up at the end.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 8 weeks ago

I would wholeheartedly agree that "The Truman Show" is a highly superior film to "EdTV," which really is a shameless ripoff. TTS is a very well-written film, very underrated, and a perfect forum for Jim Carrey to demonstrate his acting talents. While he did an exceptional acting job as Andy Kaufmann (his impersonation is uncanny), he really excels in films such as this one and "Liar Liar." It takes true talent to play someone who is human, with occasional bouts of silliness. Not to say that he isn't good at just being silly, which he is, but I think he can be truly taken seriously with ambitious and sensitive works such as TTS. It is a marvelous film and worthy of all accolades it receives. How refreshing to create something so unique, beautiful, and so void of cliches.