• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 14 weeks ago

i got this one! it's Ani DiFranco's Untouchable Face. what a fabulous song...

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   14 years 14 weeks ago

Is there somehow a contradiction between "Confronting Film" and a film to avoid? Are there "confronting films" you'd want to avoid?
    By the way, I consider Alien Resurrection so bad that to have it appear in even a remotely positive way on any list is completely disgraceful.

• Jojo's Top Ten Musicals   14 years 14 weeks ago

I haven't seen My Fair Lady or Funny Girl yet, but a pretty solid list. Singin' in the Rain, especially in that musical 'ballet' toward the end, is great. West Side Story is great from a musical and dance view, but only works wonders if one can ignore the awful dialogue the characters utter between songs. I'm very disappointed, however, not to find Cabaret on this list. Has everybody forgotten Bob Fosse?

Beauty and the Beast is probably the best musical film of the 90s, in my book.

• Resonant Movies, Tier Two   14 years 14 weeks ago

Boy, have to agree about Sense and Sensibilty. That film left such an awful noise in my ears that its horrible din still resounds in my ears. I saw it once, but I'll never make that mistake again!

Perhaps I should start a new over-rated list...

;)

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   14 years 14 weeks ago

Have to disagree with you on ALIEN RESURRECTION and RAVENOUS. I would place them in the "Confronting Films" category. In fact, come to think of it, I may make a new list under that title when I get time. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 14 weeks ago

I'll try to tackle a few of these points.

Philadelphia - I believe he is alluding to the fact that this 'breakthrough' film didn't really do much examining of AIDS or gay lifestyles. It did make a point about discrimination, but it hid behind this one, fairly safe issue, and avoided any truly confrontational glimpses into being gay or suffering from AIDS. Not that it had to do this to be a good film, but perhaps it needed to in order to be the 'breakthrough' it was hailed as.

As for emotional manipulation, a term I avoid, I believe most people sling this phrase about when the film is using questionable means to achieve an emotional reaction not earned through the story, characters, or other integral elements of the film. That darned swelling music omnipresent in most mainstream films is one of the reasons Hollywood has trouble making good dramas nowadays. The music cues people on how to feel instead of simply allowing them to feel it. This isn't as obtrusive in, say, an action film, but it can ruin attempts at realism or moving moments by either pointing out a film's artifice or over-loading an otherwise touching scene. Always using the term, 'emotional manipulation' as a negative term is perhaps a bit inprecise, but I do usually know what folks are getting at when they use the term.

I largely agree with your assessment of Titanic. The dialogue troubled me much more than some of the fake effects.

As for Simple Plan, that was one of those details I decided not to quibble over. I had some trouble with Paxton's performance, but my main trouble was with the script and direction. The direction, especially, was oddly overloaded with embarrassing attempts at visual symbolism that pulled several chuckles from me in the theater, which surely was not Rammi's intent. My agreeing with this film on the list was mostly agreeing that the film was indeed over-rated by many.

Ah well, there's a few comments. I must admit, I love these over-rated lists.

• Resonant Movies, Tier Two   14 years 14 weeks ago

Stylish list-title, Jim: "Resonant Movies" - wish I'd thought of it.

• 100 of My Favorite Songs (Under Construction)   14 years 14 weeks ago
  • 0010. 10 Great Beatles Albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

I would place THE BEATLES (WHITE ALBUM) slightly ahead of ABBEY ROAD.

Okay, you've CCed and FAVed The Beatles as a group, now how about their post-Beatles work? I'd start with John Lennon - but it's easily said, I know.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 14 weeks ago

Consider me baited. :)

Philadelphia: Why doesn't it qualify as the breakthrough film about AIDS and discrimination against homosexuals? My memory is hazy at best, but even if it wasn't the first, wasn't it the first mainstream one? Also, you've reopened a Listology can of worms that wasn't satisfactorily resolved for me the last time it came up. Check out the Pleasantville discussion here. Aren't all movies emotionally manipulative? Why is it that only some movies get called on it? Sure, there's the "cheap imitation" vs. "the real thing" argument, but I've always found that a little thin.

I haven't seen either Amistad or Eyes Wide Shut, so I can't comment on them directly. However, part of the reason I haven't seen them is that the reviews were so mixed. Even so, maybe they are overrated, which really makes them bad news. :)

I liked Titanic quite a bit, but agree that it was overrated. My complaint is largely with the dialog, however.

The Matrix: see Titanic.

A Simple Plan: Regarding Paxton and Fonda, I think we were watching two different movies on this one. I thought they were both terrific. My only complaint with their characters would be the rapidity of their descents. But that's a script issue.

I liked Scent of a Woman, but I don't know if I can mount a credible defense in good conscience.

Last but not least, picking on any Star Trek movie for plot seems like reaching. :) But I'd agree that this one was particularly far-fetched. However, IV was by far the most character-driven of the bunch, and I enjoyed that. Also, of all the movies, I thought it best captured the feel of the TV episodes (I guess one take that point as a negative :).

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 14 weeks ago

Excepting the Matrix, I agree with each film on your list. I may quibble with a few details, but why? Your aim is true, and most of these films deserved a hit or two.

I have a love / hate relationship with science fiction films. I hate the vast majority of them, and I only tend to like one every five years or so. That one I like, however, I tend to like quite a bit. The Matrix is the most recent one I enjoyed, perhaps the first since The City of Lost Children. The seamless integration of effects with the look and story of the film is a sterling example that other sci-fi films should learn from. The plot is not the greatest, but the film is indeed one continuous journey down the rabbit hole, and the film's storyline held together enough for me to enjoy it on that level.

Luckily, Philadelphia's reputation seems to be fading a bit with time, and I don't recall Amistad being that warmly received to begin with. Perhaps there is hope.

Great list.

• To Buy/Borrow, Fiction   14 years 14 weeks ago

Which two?

• To Buy/Borrow, Fiction   14 years 14 weeks ago

Well, you've just increased MY buy/borrow list by two.

Ender's Shadow was quite enjoyable, I recommend it for anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game. Then again, I'm always fascinated by a story told from a new perspective.

• reading these sucked   14 years 14 weeks ago

Well, I am personally impressed that you finished all those books you were assigned. I often abandoned them and faked the exam. See my Books I will never finish list.

I've never cared for Faulker much, or Thoreau either. Most of your others I was never assigned.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 14 weeks ago

Bingo! (Had to check the tape case, eh?)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 14 weeks ago

"I Need Somebody" by Chagall Guevara
    (Jon)

• My favorite actors of the Old Garde :)   14 years 14 weeks ago

I'm guessing Katharine Hepburn could find a cozy home here, no?

• Can't Stop Listening to These Albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

Not that I've gloated, I should confess . . . DMB, $5/show, weekly, walking distance, and I only saw them a few times. Shameful.

While I've never met any of them, they certainly seemed like perfectly nice guys. Not cocky, although they were good enough to be. I believe they performed locally separately before getting together. I know I saw Boyd Tinsley perform several times before DMB formed, and he never disappointed. In fact, he is probably my favorite musician from that time in my life.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 14 weeks ago

Other excellent Aussie movies are Shine, Romper Stomper, Angel Baby, Occasional Coarse Language, Blackrock, Love & Other Catastrophes, Muriel's Wedding, Bad Boy Bubby, The Piano (NZ)...
    Jo G

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 14 weeks ago

Bringing Up Baby is sheer joy. 2001 is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it film. I personally never cared much for it until I saw a re-mastered wide-screen version of the film. With very little dialogue and a sparse plot, the film relies heavily on visual and musical effects to carry it, and unless one sees the film in a format where these effects are given full power, it just ain't happening.

Of course, lots of people still won't like it, and that's cool. I do.

I love M, but it, along with at least 50 other films, just couldn't fit into this tight list.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 14 weeks ago

Hey, wait a minute, don't I know you...
    ;)

• CC00001: The Beatles   14 years 14 weeks ago

Let me look into this. Compared to the number of good sources I have for rock, pop, soul, blues, reggae, and jazz (Yes, I'm working on Miles Davis, which is a delight and a chore), I have about 83% of the sources for classical music. Additionally, most classical sources I have tend to divide works up by composer, not performer, which could make Gould very difficult. I'll get cracking on this, but forgive me if it takes awhile.

Great suggestion.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 14 weeks ago

Well, if lots of people didn't dig it, it would hardly be over-rated, eh?

Thanks for the great comments.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 14 weeks ago

Correct on both accounts, although I'm afraid I need the song title to give you number 1.

• Movies I got to watch when I was under 15 that I probably shouldn't have   14 years 14 weeks ago

DaveDelv -- does your mother know about these???