• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   14 years 12 weeks ago

You're the second person to claim Aliens as overrated (I think lbangs was the other, and I think he might have also used the word "flawed", but I could be wrong). But so far you've both spoken in general terms. What are the specific problems/flaws you perceive?

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Wow! I debated whether to post number 40, as I wasn't sure if anybody here had heard the wonderful song, and yet you guessed it in less than a day! Correct on both accounts.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Correct again! I realized yesterday that I had shamefully neglected this great artist, so of course, I had to add one. You're right; he has so many great songs to choose from.

L. Bangs (Still shocked nobody has guessed the U2 quote yet...)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Yeah, I had another, more obscure quote by the band, but I'm trying to balance out some of my tougher quotes with some easier ones, so I went a bit soft on this one. I figured most Floyd fans would know any lyric I posted anyway. Great job!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

#40 is is "Born Slippy," by Underworld. #44 is "Down By The Water," by P.J. Harvey.

• currently reading   14 years 12 weeks ago

I haven't gotten terribly far yet, (I've been too tired to read more than a chapter a night yet) but I want to see what's going to happen next, so I guess that's a good sign. I'll let you know more when I finish it.

• Sorry I've been so absent of late. I need two of   14 years 12 weeks ago

It is his film because he is the producer, and he is certainly one of those modern-day producers who has more control and influence over his films than even the directors do. For all purposes, he is the creator of his films. If the script stinks, it is because he has never given a rip about choosing a decent screenplay nor nurturing it till is at least half way decent.

At least that's my take on it.

• Favorite Fiction Books   14 years 12 weeks ago

You have made me very happy (excepting the Thompson book). I have longed for someone to realize that, despite the awards Beloved has won, Song of Solomon is perhaps Morrison's best work. The only other real competition I know of is Jazz. I am sick of seeing Beloved (a book that could not begin to live up to its own grand ambitions) everywhere; it is a delight to see SOS on your list.

A good list.

• currently reading   14 years 12 weeks ago

How is the Tom Robbins book-- I have really enjoyed his work, but I heard this one is not worth the read.

• Plays I Dislike   14 years 12 weeks ago

Do you dislike these on principal because they are very popular musicals and very over done, or do you judge them on their own merits? I have found that the longer a musical plays with no changes, it just becomes old and stale..... I'm not saying that these are great, by any means (although I do like Mss Saigon, shameless tearjerker that it is, it gets to me)

• Favorite Fiction Books   14 years 12 weeks ago

Have you read any more John Irving-- he's a really wonderful writer and if you like his style in Garp, you will probably like at least Prayer for Own Meany, The Hotel New Hampshire, Cider House Rules, and Widow for One Year. Other good titles of his are Son of the Circus and Water Method Man. I would avoid Setting Free the Bears (its his first book). Great list and congratulations on making it through Crime and Punishment, I have yet to do so.

• Sorry I've been so absent of late. I need two of   14 years 12 weeks ago

Jim -- Isn't Gone in 60 Seconds a remake of a 1970s flick. At least I remember watching a movie of the same title at least 15 years ago. If it is a remake, it really can't be called a "Jerry Bruckheimer movie", unless you consider that only he would choose to REMAKE a movie with such an absurd plot.

• favorite directors   14 years 12 weeks ago

good call. i was just looking at this list of stuff he's been involved with on allmovie.com and missed the part that said Actor... thanks for the clarification, though! (btw, i have yet to see Ed Wood--but when i do, i'm sure i'll be adding it.)

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   14 years 12 weeks ago

I'll admit, I love jazz (especially Davis) and Chicago blues, but since I have so many friends with these CDs, I usually borrow rather than buy discs in these genres.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

37 is Paranoid Android, and I notice you are quickly approaching the lead! 41 is probably not the most popular song, but the artist is quite esteemed, and anybody hearing the song will likely never forget that particular lyric.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Speaking for Jim, no, it is not Last Kiss, but you are very, very close.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Correct both times! Thanks for the compliment; my worst fear was posting a list that was completely solved in a day. I made most of the quotes fairly tough, and seeing how well everyone is doing, I'm very glad I did!

• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   14 years 12 weeks ago

Forrest Gump is a good choice for your list, but I think that Aliens also deserves some recognition here. Although it's a good movie, it is certainly not great. It has way too many problems and flaws to be considered one of the all time great movies.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 12 weeks ago

there you go! right on.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

37 is definitely radiohead, paranoid android. but 41 is killing me!

• seen in 2001   14 years 12 weeks ago

i know what you mean--i paid $1.50 to see it in a double feature...(it's $3 for two flicks at my favorite cinema) but if i had known i'd like it so well, i might have paid full price.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

You know, I was going to suggest some Neil Young lyric, as I hadn't recognized one, and I love Neil Young! Not a great singer, mind you, but one heck of a great song writer.
    So #45 - Neil Young, "Down by the River."
    An exceptional song you picked here, but there are so many by him.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Boy is #38 EASY!!!!!
    Breathe by Pink Floyd. You should have gone for something more obscure, perhaps something from Obsured by Clouds or Animals, perhaps...

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 12 weeks ago

LOL...#1 = DEAD-ALIVE...LOL. Yes, after you reminded me of it at your "Aussie/NZ movies kick ass" list, I eventually got around to seeing it again. Obviously, the dialogue wasn't what impressed me about it.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 12 weeks ago

Wow! I expected that one would take more time. Indeed, it is I Misunderstood!

You are now tied for the lead (I keep a tally in my comments field). I feel a grudge match brewing... ;)