• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 15 weeks ago

HINT re. #59 : Mystery fans should know this one, it's a classic of the genre.

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 15 weeks ago

I spent entirely too much time on this last night! My wife wasn't feeling well, so I spent most of the night by myself finishing up the Hitchcock (which I've been working on for at least a week) and creating this list. It helps that Lennon doesn't have so many solo albums as some artists have and that there is quite a bit of consensus on his work (unlike the Beach Boys, which felt like it took forever because of all the wildly differing opinions!).

George Harrison shouldn't take long, but Paul's got quite a bit to sort through. That may take a bit longer.

So, what do you think?

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 15 weeks ago

The 1948 film is about ballet and contains many wonderful sequences of ballet dance. I highly recommend it if you like ballet!

• Classical Music And The Movies (With Sound)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Looking at the comment logs, you and I are both scarcer than usual. I wonder which of us is busier. :) I'm looking forward to a little more Listology time for both of us.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 15 weeks ago

The Durants' Story of Civilization is an 11 volume work.

I also have been after that longer Wells' work. The used bookstore around here are littered with the shorter version, but I crave that complete outline!

So, what did you think about Roberts? I'm guessing since you have read it twice, you must not completely despise it!

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 15 weeks ago

Wow! quick work. Maybe it isn't as much work as I imagined, or maybe you've got a lot of time on your hands. In any case, thanks muchly.

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   14 years 15 weeks ago

Your rejection of the films on this list is not "by the way", it's the main street. You owe us reasons for these rejections.

My answers to your questions are: (1) no, the two concepts seem to get along fine, and (2) no, I think it's healthy to be occasionally confronted by a film rather than be fed pablum ad nauseum.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 15 weeks ago

A man after my own heart: I love one-volume histories of the world; I have several. I've read the Roberts twice (no bull). Isn't the Durants' a multi-volume, or did they do a boiled-down version too? I was sorely tempted by a re-release of Van Loon as I was browsing a bookshop the other day. Also, I'd like to get hold of H.G.Wells's OUTLINE OF HISTORY one day (he wrote two: a long and a short; I've read the short).

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 15 weeks ago

nope. What sort of movie is it?

• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   14 years 15 weeks ago

Austin Powers I disliked for the stupid humor. Die Hard, Aliens and Reservoir Dogs were all problems because I couldn't stomach the violence.

• Some I tried to read but haven't, yet, finished   14 years 15 weeks ago

I, too have been in reading ruts, and have some recommendations that have worked for me...

1. Read the genre fiction you like. There were times i couldn't read a good novel to save my life, but a detective story-- that i could do, and pretty soon I'm up to reading literature again.

2. If you can't read genre fiction, try short stories. sometimes, they are all I can read. They usually can be read in one sitting, but have a lot of depth. The same is true for essays. In many ways they are more interesting that longer pieces.

3. Once, when I couldn't read, I started reading plays. they are very fast reads, and you get to use your imagination a lot. Warning, though. I then became a theatre major, thereby ruining my chances of gainful employment in my field..

Good Luck.

• Classical Music And The Movies (With Sound)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks for these moments. I don't have much time right now, but I'll add them to the list later.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 15 weeks ago

Well-

#1 I guess I agree with everyone-- movies are meant to be emotionally manipulative. I've directed a lot of live theatre, and one actually has to think a lot about how to get the reaction you want out of the audience. -- and I've used a lot of music to do it. BUT, the movies we seem to criticize for being emotionally manipulative are those ones where we can percieve that we're being manipulated, and that makes us feel used and like we are being intellectually underestimated

#2 Philedelphia probably was one of the first "mainstream" gay film, but it had little to do with being gay and everything to do with being discriminated against. In that, it is to me very similar to Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour, in which two spinster school teachers lose their livlihood and really their whole lives after being accused of being lesbians. Again, this movie is really about something other than lesbianism, it is about the power of lies. I think that a great breakthrough would have been for such a mainstream actor as Tom Hanks to play a gay love scene, but it was too soon.

3.I think I'm the only person who enjoyed Titanic. I didn't see it in the theatre because it was so popular I felt sure it was awful. I saw it a few months ago expecting the worst, and liked it. Their are some horrible parts, but all in all I found it much better than I expected it to be. I guess if your expecting horrible, OK seems pretty good.

• Jojo's Top Ten Musicals   14 years 15 weeks ago

I usually believe the transition from stage to film ruins a work; however, Cabaret actually improved upon it, chopping out a few of the weakest songs and adding a few classics such as Money. Additionally, Fosse knew how to direct a musical like few could - very kinetic.

From your wording, it sounds as if you haven't seen the film yet. Am I correct? If so, I strongly urge you to check it out. Cabaret is Fosse's best.

• Jojo's Top Ten Musicals   14 years 15 weeks ago

Bob Fosse's best film isn't a musical, it's All that Jazz. Cabaret on stage is just so great, I don't think the movie can top it! (But then I'm a stage show person, not a movie person, really.)

• Jojo's Funniest Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

"Don't be stupid - Be a smartie! / Come and join the Nazi party!"

• authors I'll automatically buy books from   14 years 15 weeks ago

Well, I like them all obviously, but for many different reasons, so you might or might not.

Neil Gaiman -- Everyone should read Gaiman. He's fantasy (mostly) but in a very quirky sort of way. Check out Good Omens by him and Terry Pratchett as a starting point.
    William Gibson -- cyberpunk
    Peter F. Hamilton -- hard SF

Will Self -- kinda weird British author. Check out The Quantity Theory of Insanity

Julian Barnes -- somewhat less weird British author. Check out A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters

Nicholas Bantock -- Beautiful art/fiction books.

Haruki Murakami -- I bet you'd like his stuff. Try Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Christopher Moore -- Highly humorous author. Definitely worth a try. Bloodsucking Fiends is my favorite (though it's a close call).

Neal Stephenson -- mostly SF
    Bruce Sterling -- cyberpunk
    Vernor Vinge -- SF

Robert Anton Wilson -- wacked out sex, drugs and conspiracy theories. I'm pretty sure Robbins has read some Wilson.

Kim Stanley Robinson -- SF again. I quite liked his Mars series.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 15 weeks ago

Oops. I meant A History of Knowledge by Charles Van Doren.

• books I started but haven't managed to finish   14 years 15 weeks ago

I think I only managed to get about 10 pages in before I gave up. It's been awhile tough.

• Some I tried to read but haven't, yet, finished   14 years 15 weeks ago

I bought a townhouse a year ago in a large part so I'd have more room for bookcases. I read a lot, but I buy books faster than I read them.
    "Ooooh, a new Richard Powers. Gotta pick that up."
    -- me, last night at Powells.

• Some I tried to read but haven't, yet, finished   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks for making me feel so much better. LOL. A decade?!?! I've got a tiny room so, unfortunately, I can't buy any more bookshelves. I merely place my books in sloppy and tidy piles on my floor.

• To Buy/Borrow, Fiction   14 years 15 weeks ago

Glad to see A Confederacy of Dunces.

• Jojo's Funniest Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

Absolutely! Another one of my favorites! I'll have to add it to the existing list. Who could forget "Springtime for Hitler" -- LOL!!!

Joanne

• books I started but haven't managed to finish   14 years 15 weeks ago

The only one of these I've read is the Silmarillion. I read it quite a while ago. I did find it a heavy read as well, but the history it offered about Tolkien's world sucked me in and helped me get through it.

• Books I will never finish   14 years 15 weeks ago

knew, I knew enough about the movie. Sorry.