• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

Ah gee... It's French Kiss, isn't it?

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Sorry, but 25 is not Get What You Give. It does have most of the second line, but none of the first. Keep trying!

Correct!

Bingo!

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   14 years 11 weeks ago

I have several jazz (Coltrane, Monk, Miles Davis era) cds. I am also a big fan of the Chicago blues sound, but when it comes to R&R I would imagine we have very similar collections.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Pet Shop Boys - that has got to be right. I knew that I recognized it.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

nope. keep trying...

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

no but your *really* close!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

I think that #25 is Get What You Give by the New Radicals. I'm not positive that the first line is in that song, so this is just a shot in the dark.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Number 25 is perhaps Get What you Give by the New Radicals?? I know the last line is in that song, but I'm not sure about the first line.

• To Buy/Borrow, Fiction   14 years 11 weeks ago

All of these that I've read are worth reading.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

PEARL JAM! i knew i should've known that... ah well.

ok, so i have a guess for 32. is it West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys?

• Fun Movies, Tier One   14 years 11 weeks ago

Last night, I was working and Four Weddings and a Funeral came on. I finished up about half way through, (about 2am,) and stayed up to watch it as far as the reading of the W.H.Auden poem at the funeral. I'd say it's definitely rewatchable, (even if it didn't have Land Rovers in it!) and I'm tempted to added to my FbG list as a Tear-Jerker.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

18= 6'1'' by Liz Phair! I love Liz!
    -- Jenhowell

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

22 is from London Calling, by The Clash.
    14 is some song by Oasis, I don't know the name.

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 11 weeks ago

Before discussing Gladiator, allow me to pose this question . . . Are people talking more during movies, or am I just getting older and grouchier? I can't remember the last time I went to the movies without having to listen to some loser talk through the whole thing (unless I tell them to kindly be quiet, which only works around half the time). There were bad storms here Friday night, so there were only eight people in the theater, four of which were unable to shut up. Fifty percent! It was Gladiator, fer cryin' out loud! Were they really lost in the plot? Anyway, onto the movie.

I liked it, but not as much as Braveheart, to which it can (and is) be conveniently compared. So far, Russell Crowe can't miss in my book. I've loved him in everything I've seen him in (this, LA Confidential, and Virtuosity (surprisingly)). Actually, I have no complaints with any of the acting, and I particularly enjoyed Oliver Reed (the best Athos ever, I might add). The Battle of Carthage was fantastic, and I got a little shiver up my spine when Maximus was unmasked and swore revenge. But I must say, I liked the movie in spite of numerous and significant flaws, all in the plot . . .

I didn't believe Commodus would have let Maximus live after his first colesseum win. Sure, the people were cheering Maximus, but he won ONE FIGHT. In the real world, Commodus lets him out of the ring, kills him in his cell, and the masses change the channel. End of story. I blame the script. It would have been more plausible if Maximus's reputation was further built-up before his unmasking. More wins. More hero-worship. Soldiers loyal to him infiltrating the crowd. Rumors of who he is circulating. All that, and THEN the big unveiling. He was revealed way too early to be believable.

Meanwhile, Commodus's sister Lucilla, who is acknowledged by all to be tough, smart, resourceful, etc. FAILS to poison the bastard? Everyone hates him, she's in danger, and he trustingly drinks headache tonics that she prepares by hand? But somehow, instead of just poisoning him she participates in this elaboarate plot, and then folds when questioned!? If you're going to tell us that our heroine is tough, then make her tough. At the very least, don't show us how easy it would be for her to kill him.

Having ice cream afterwards, my wife (who also liked it) and I came up with several other flaws of similar calibur. But these are the two that have stuck with me. I liked it, but if they'd taken the time to fix the holes, I would have loved it.

• favorite directors   14 years 11 weeks ago

Taryn, good call on some of the best directors that you witnessed. I think some of the best directors that I would include is Terry Gilliam, Jeanuet & Caro, Spike Lee, Jim Jarmusch, and of the greatest of all time: Akira Kurosawa! Thanks again for hanging out at the Little. Give me ideas on a list I should compose. Take care, Matt (aka veganic).

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 11 weeks ago

We saw Horseman on the Roof a few (?) years ago, and really enjoyed it. You should check out Ridicule, which leaps to mind because it's also French, and I think I saw it around the same time. Or it's possible that I saw the preview for one before the other.

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 11 weeks ago

Well, Jim, you inspired us - went to see Gladiator yesterday and found it quite well done, although very bloody (no surprise). Good acting, great scenery (Malta), enough pageantry to almost out-do Ben Hur. Worth a $5 bargain matinee! This can't be seen on the teeny screen, you must be in the theatre to appreciate the sweep and scope of Ridley Scott.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

A great song by Liz. 18 is 6' 1". Great job, Jenhowell!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Is this you, Jenhowell? Let me know, as you are absolutely right about 22 being London Calling. 14 is indeed an Oasis song. Which one?

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Correct both times! Impressive!

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

nope! try again... (see hint below.)

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

since no one seems to be making progress on those i suggested, here are some hints: 20 takes place in a foreign country, the name of whose language is in the title; 21 is from a rock-n-roll cult classic, whose title includes the name of quoted character; and 24 involves a futuristic microwave and a model/singer turned actress. hope that helps some!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Actually, I got a couple more - sometimes you need time to get your mind acclimated to "reading," and not hearing lyrics:
    21. Panic in Detroit (David Bowie)
    19. So You Want to be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (the Byrds)
    Until next time...