• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 18 weeks ago

I preferred A Bug's Life, mostly because I enjoyed the characters more. Also, while both were impressive, I preferred the character animation style in ABL. Finally, my interest in seeing Small Time Crooks aside, I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, and Antz was too much a Woody Allen movie for me.

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 18 weeks ago

Jim, I'd like to know what you thought of Antz. I've heard some critics say (who they were, I can't remember) that although A Bug's Life did better at the box office Antz was the better of the two. I thought A B L's characters were more endearing. Perhaps I feel this way thanks to my two year old nephew who watched the movie, oh about 15 times, and this helped me learn to love them.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 18 weeks ago

Some further hints to stimulate guesses:

36 - The author has already been guessed, so all I'll add is that this is something of a children's story. Sorta.

37 - This author was recently mentioned on the site. For this quote, it is very important to know one's Self.

38 - This author has been talked about quite a bit lately, as he has finally released another novel. Cult writer, Seattle, recent new novel. A few people here have cited this as a favorite.

40 - A film version is being released soon and, I believe, played at Cannes this year.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 18 weeks ago

Based solely on your hint, I'll guess The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane. I thought that line sounded familiar, and if that's the source, then I now know why.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 18 weeks ago

Oh, I just feel guilty getting a book quiz entry based on film knowledge. Ben Hur, by Lew Wallace.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 18 weeks ago

Not sure I take your meaning here, lbangs. The hint was given in order that someone might get the answer and claim the identification.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 18 weeks ago

Good job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 18 weeks ago

HINT re. #60: I know some of you must surely have been assigned this at school. It's a famous Civil War novel.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 18 weeks ago

Not quite yet. #49 Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag by Country Joe MacDonald and the Fish.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 18 weeks ago

Sorry, buber, can't help you there.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 18 weeks ago

Great news! I just discovered that Fireworks will be released on DVD in the next two weeks, making every film on this list now available on the format. Excellent.

• Best Disney Movies   14 years 18 weeks ago

Hercules rather than Beauty and the Beast? Oh, Martin...

Oh well, I salute you for leaving The Lion King off the list. I also agree with you on prefering Toy Story 2 to the first one.

L. Bangs (a noted Hercules hater)

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 18 weeks ago

I very much enjoyed Wicked, as well as Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by the same author. But I'm really big on alternate viewpoint stories of any kind, I always like to hear the other side of things.

• The WORST movies I have sat through   14 years 18 weeks ago

My vote for worst movie ever is The Avengers. Taken together with Batman and Robin, makes you wonder what on earth happened to Uma Thurman.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 18 weeks ago

Being There - I've seen this movie several times -the first time, I absolutely hated it - the second and all the subsequent times, I loved it - guess it was my frame of mind the first night (some 20 years ago). Peter Sellers - extremely talented man - he was one of those actors that I sincerely felt sad when he died. If I'm not mistaken, this was his last film (?)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 18 weeks ago

Ender22d, can you verify this?

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 18 weeks ago

And to date myself, my grade school memories are replete with intercom annoucement of the shooting of John Kennedy. At the time I was also too young to understand the implications of history unfolding around me.

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 18 weeks ago

Thank you. I'll date myself here. I was in second grade (I believe), and the principal announced the news over the intercom. Of course, we were too young to really feel the impact of the crushing loss (I was almost 7), but the only other time I remember a similar announcement was when Reagan was shot and when the Challenger exploded, so I believe Lennon was the first. Obviously, for that sort of treatment to be given to an artist cued us into how important he was.

As I stated above, now I just feel robbed. I have no memories of Lennon first-hand; I only have the music and the memories of others. Of course, that's enough, but I want more.

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 18 weeks ago

I had just returned home from a five day trip and switched on the TV to catch the news. I remember thinking that this really is "the day the music died". Nice list anyway, lbangs.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 18 weeks ago

Has this list fizzled out, or is everybody stumped? Let me know if it is time to add clues and / or new entries.

• 0001. Books I Love   14 years 18 weeks ago

Ah, you assume I'm a grown-up, eh?

Actually, I never got around to Catcher until I was 22 or so. I enjoyed it greatly. I have heard some people claim to like it less and less as they grow older, but so far, that hasn't happened for me. Salinger creates an apt representation of a young person, and maybe distance from that age leads some further from the book. Maybe not. I think he nails the confusion and simmering frustration perfectly, and though I can not relate to it as closely as I once did, I can still enjoy it.

I have several books I need to add to this list; perhaps when I get a free moment, I'll enlarge it. I still haven't posted any Jane A. works yet, and Dickens is also absent. The critical trend is floating away from Charles, but I still like much of his work. Oh, I'm remembering more works and authors by the second!

• 0001. Books I Love   14 years 18 weeks ago

Agree with all I've read (although I can't manage to get through Crime and Punishment). Have you read J.D. Salinger lately? I found I really loved what I remembered, but going back to Catcher in the Rye as a "grown-up" I didn't like it as much.

• Getting Away From It All: Favorite Fantasy Series   14 years 18 weeks ago

And I'm willing to admit to loving The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser series by Fritz Lieber without any "I was alot younger then" qualifications.

• Getting Away From It All: Favorite Fantasy Series   14 years 18 weeks ago

The only fantasy series I've read in recent years is Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (the Watch books in particular). But many moons ago (and who knows how I'd feel about them now), I remember loving the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, the Myth books by Robert Lynn Asprin, and The Belgariad by David Eddings.

•   14 years 18 weeks ago

Thanks a million, Jim. I wish to add that I am always open for suggestions on future CC projects. Interested in a director or musician and wish to see a CC list for him / her? Let me know. I can pretty much tackle any director, and I can handle most musical requests except for classical musicians, which I am still trying to gather enough quality critical material to review. Right now, I'm trying to mix classic artists with newer ones, but I'm only guessing at what people may be interested in. Don't see your favorite? Suggest it on one of my lists, and I'll hop to it!