• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 17 weeks ago

What did you think of The Demolished Man?

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 17 weeks ago

I think I understand what you're getting at with "confronting" except where you state Alien Resurrection has "Insultingly silly plot points." Sure, if they are deliberately insulting, that is confronting. But if the screenwriter just did a lousy job of it, it's poor craftsmanship. Unfortunately, it's hard to guess if the screenwriter was being challenging or just incompetent. I assume, based on your comment, that you think the insultingly silly plot points in AR were deliberate?

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 17 weeks ago

Part of the problem is that the link above goes to James Cromwell instead of David Morse. Oops! Here's the correct link. He played "Brutal" in The Green Mile, the commander in The Negociator, and Jodie Foster's father in Contact. I'm not sure why I like him . . . he just seems so solid somehow. I like him the same way I like Ed Harris. I find something about the way they carry themselves admirable.

Regarding Kevin Bacon, by "successful" I meant in the box office. I too like him quite a bit in both his leading and supporting roles.

And if you haven't already, you must rent LA Confidential, another fine "Cromwell has good range" example (and a good movie to boot).

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 17 weeks ago

Duh - you just said you saw David Morse in the Green Mile. Which character was he?

• If you enjoy movie trailers as much as I do (they,   14 years 17 weeks ago

Good article...I've often become uninterested in a movie because I felt the trailer told me just about everything (ex. Double Jeopardy). I find I really enjoy the trailers that contain no actual footage from the movie; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Face-Off come to mind. While these movies would never make a top 10 list of mine, the trailers stuck in my mind as intriguing, and enjoyable in their own right. The problem with using footage from the movie is that the temptation is to use the best parts. I'm not saying I don't like any ads that are made this way; it's just that there are fewer surprises when you decide to actually watch the movie.

Having said all that, I am still addicted to the trailers - especially in the theatre. I often get so interested in the trailers I forget what I actually went there to see!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 17 weeks ago

that's it.

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 17 weeks ago

I am also disturbed to admit that "Untamed Heart" gets to me every time...It's one of the few videos I own. Oh, yeah, and the prom scene in "Angus."

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 17 weeks ago

My favorite part of "Titanic" was sitting there listening to this truly horrid dialogue just knowing they would be struggling for their lives in a matter of hours. It made it worth sitting through the flick. :)

• Books Finished Since May 1st   14 years 17 weeks ago

There is nothing embarrassing about reading genre fiction. I read quite a lot myself. I read for entertainment, not necessarily for edification, though that is also good. In fact, if you enjoy Joan Hess (who is usually somewhat humorous), you might want to check out my Humorous mystery authors list.

• My favorite quirky movies on a low budget   14 years 17 weeks ago

There are several other lists here like this. Most of them are called "Guilty Pleasures". You can use the Search page to find them.

If you liked the TOXIC AVENGER movies, you'll love a little New Zealand made schlocker called DEAD-ALIVE (original title: BRAINDEAD).

• great artists connected to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan   14 years 17 weeks ago

Alright another Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan fan! I found one of his songs on a new age music samply. It was a collaberation between him and guitarist Michael Brook, I think called "The Game". I've got the cds "Nightsong" and the remix cd called "Star Shine".

An English professor told me more about him and the Musst Musst is another great cd. I would like to find more of his older albums, the ones where he performs the traditional Quwali (sp?) pieces.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this truly awesome, earth-shattering voice. If you haven't heard it, you are truly missing out.

• 10 Teenybopper Songs That Sound Good After The 800th Listen   14 years 17 weeks ago

I would agree Limp Bizkit is teenybopper...Of course, I think they are the only ones I agree with on the list...after 800 listens, hmmm. after 8, I am over any Backstreet, Mandy Moore, Britney, Ricky, Enrique, N'Sync or Christina. Okay, I could probably let Christina stay here...I would probably add MMMMMMBop to the list from Hanson!

• films i'm avoiding for one reason or another   14 years 17 weeks ago

Okay, I think I'm one of maybe 3 people in Indy who saw "American Psycho." Okay, there were probably more than 3 since there were 3 of us the day I saw it. I'm a fan of the book, and thought the movie was fairly well done. Admittedly, one more than one occasion I looked at "patrick bateman" and thought of Jim Carrey. Still, I considered it a challenging, yet worthy moviegoing experience.

• Favorite John Hiatt Songs   14 years 17 weeks ago

Hmmmm....yeah, I do love that song, too...always brings a smile to my face. :0

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   14 years 17 weeks ago

Until I found this site, I didn't realize there were others who enjoyed "Baseketball" :) I just love this film...How about "Orgazmo?" It is really just not well done at all, but I just laugh hysterically during it.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 17 weeks ago

Welcome to The Listology, Min. Jim, whose site this is, has been very busy in the real world lately. About your answer: I can't confirm it, so we'll have to wait for the challenger to get back to us. Hope you'll feel like contributing some lists - maybe when you've explored the site a bit. There's lots of interesting stuff here. Enjoy!

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 17 weeks ago

You are probably right about that, but my reasons for not making the distinction between actors & actresses is more about streamlining the language. You wouldn't call a female doctor a doctress, so why make the disctinction for actors? They all do the same work.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 17 weeks ago

#54 is...Illusions-The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah. One of my all-time favorite books by Richard Bach. Funny how books come into your life at the time when they are supposed to and when they are most meaningful...

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 17 weeks ago

You're right, he was a very pleasant surprise in everything I've seen him in. He was also in Roswell. Very worthy of this list.

• 5 Movies aren't as good now that I'm an adult   14 years 17 weeks ago

Hey, dembonez! Although you may not agree, I would have to add Ski School, Summer School, Pretty in Pink (and Sweet Sixteen, et al), and, though you and others may think this sacrilege, Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I must say, I saw Spaceballs later in life, and found it mildly amusing, so I'm not in a position to compare to the zealousness of youth.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 17 weeks ago

Perhaps I should clarify about DeVito. He has played leading roles in the past (and could be considered one of the leads in The Big Kahuna), but lately he has been much more of a producer, and has been taking secondary roles in his movies. Calling him a supporting actor is probably not entirely accurate, I agree, but neither would I consider him to be a heavyweight that carries a movie. I'm particularly thinking of him in roles like the cop in Drowning Mona, and in Hoffa (I think I'm thinking of the right movie...). I don't get the impression, though, that he sees himself as a leading man. I think he picks his roles carefully, regardless of the size of the part.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 17 weeks ago

I'm not certain about SPR and TTRL - that they are a genuine copycat pair, or that SPR is the better of the two. What do you guys think?

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 17 weeks ago

Oh..I so agree...I knew I was forgetting one I really liked. Leo truly was wonderful in this film. Yep, I do believe I'll add it to my list. :0

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 17 weeks ago

Boy, you're good...I forgot about that one!

• CC00017: Ringo Starr   14 years 17 weeks ago

Hearty congratulations on completing your Beatles Saga - you've done the old geezers proud, and their fans.

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends."
    He's no great singer, and was never a great drummer, but somehow he unquestionably carries the Beatles charisma. If anyone ever lucked out in life, Ringo did. Unfair comment?