• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   14 years 13 weeks ago

I don't consider Zeppelin overrated. First of all they had some of the best music out there while at the same time influencing the whole rock genre for generations to come. In Zeppelin's place I think you should put someone like the Beatles or Oasis. I do agree with the choice of Floyd, Pumpkins, and Dave is a given.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hello, All,
    I finally saw Crouching Tiger and Cast Away last weekend (both on Saturday the 13th). Cast Away was decent but Crouching Tiger is definitely
    one of the best films of the year as is Ang Lee's direction. I'll be adding both of them to the tally.

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 13 weeks ago

Or Cat's Cradle.

As for Gravity's Rainbow, I had a high school English teacher dare us to read it. I bought a copy, read a tiny bit, and put it down. 6 years later a friend semi-bribed me to read it. I did manage to finish it, but can't stay I entirely enjoyed it.

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 13 weeks ago

No doubt the Beatles are good. I have quite a few of their albums but I have to say that I easily get tired of listening to them. This may be because I've been listening to them since I was three.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hey, Phreak!
    It's happening. Here is some info.

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 13 weeks ago

now is there really a whole lot of difference between medievil torture and the Dentist?

• "002": Top 20 Bands   14 years 13 weeks ago

All songs on "Loose Nut"; All songs on "The First Four Years" except "American Waste"; All songs on "Slip It In" except "My Ghetto"; Damaged:Six Pack; Damaged:Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie; Damaged:Depression; Damaged:Damaged II; Damaged:No More; Damaged:Life Of Pain; Damaged: Dameged I; All songs on "Jealous Again"; My War:My War; My War:Can't Decide; My War:The Swinging Man; My War:Nothing Left Inside; My War:Scream; Who's Got The 10 1/2?:This Is Good; Who's Got The 10 1/2?:Jam; Who's Got The 10 1/2?:The Best One Yet

• "002": Top 20 Bands   14 years 13 weeks ago

All songs on "Loose Nut"
    All songs on "The First Four Years" except "American Waste"
    All songs on "Slip It In" except "My Ghetto"
    Damaged:Six Pack
    Damaged:Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
    Damaged:Depression
    Damaged:Damaged II
    Damaged:No More
    Damaged:Life Of Pain
    Damaged: Dameged I
    All songs on "Jealous Again"
    My War:My War
    My War:Can't Decide
    My War:The Swinging Man
    My War:Nothing Left Inside
    My War:Scream
    Who's Got The 10 1/2?:This Is Good
    Who's Got The 10 1/2?:Jam
    Who's Got The 10 1/2?:The Best One Yet

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 13 weeks ago

There. This and the Francis Ford Coppola entries are what I hope all the Ultimate Guides will look like eventually, with the critical histories in the author's comments field. Let me know what you think.

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 13 weeks ago

Simply marvelous. You should do this for a living. In fact, I'd happily pay you for the great content you provide if I could (we'll talk again if some VC offers me millions for this site :-). I'll ashamedly admit to not being much of a Beatles fan, but you make me want to give them another shot.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 13 weeks ago

"The idiot lived in a black and grey world, punctuated by the white lightning of hunger and the flickering of fear."

• MELANIE'S (SAFKA) MOST BEAUTIFUL SONGS:   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hey. I like the list. I am not sure what this site is all about.

mcpnewfie@hotmail.com

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 13 weeks ago

I totally agree with you on Gravity's Rainbow. It had a couple of amazing moments, but generally it was way over my head. Like a dentist appointment, huh? Well I thought it was more like classical medieval torture. Unfortunately, unlike you I don't feel as if I gained anything by reading that novel. On the other hand, Slaughterhouse 5 is one of my favorite books. If you had trouble with that I recommend you start reading Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 13 weeks ago

Did you get through Ulysses?
    Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon was the most difficult book I ever read. Kind of like a dentist appointment. I hated it every minute I was doing it, but felt it was good for me once it was over. I have not tried another Pynchon novel since.

I would recommend you try Slaughterhouse again.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 13 weeks ago

unless of course it is "camera" by R.E.M.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 13 weeks ago

#33 must be "letter never sent" by R.E.M.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 13 weeks ago

#38 is "Across the Universe" by the Beatles...I think

• The BIG NEWS today is that this is the first anniv   14 years 13 weeks ago

Happy anniversary! Sorry about the US-centric date. Perhaps in the new version I'll try to track your geographic location based on IP address, figure the timezone, and set the date accordingly . . . Mmmmaybe not (replies will start showing up before questions, which will be very unnerving :-).

BTW, I'm thinking the new version will be up by March 1.

BTBTW, I just added More Than Human to the list you mentioned. Fire Upon the Deep will be the next science fiction I read.

• The BIG NEWS today is that this is the first anniv   14 years 13 weeks ago

15th??? OOPS! Well, it is the 16th already where I live.

• People I'd like to hear read Green Eggs and Ham   14 years 13 weeks ago

I want to hear old golden throat himself SING it...

• CC00059: Sonic Youth   14 years 14 weeks ago

I didn't really forget them, especially the SY series, but since this list is generated from the opinions of critics, I could only included releases that enough critics covered / reviewed to make a consensus. Most critics didn't cover some of the 'minor' releases, and hence those are missing from the list.

Sorry. Glad you enjoyed!

• "002": Top 20 Bands   14 years 14 weeks ago

What are your favorite Black Flag songs??

• CC00059: Sonic Youth   14 years 14 weeks ago

Thank You. This is my favorite band. I cannot say which album is better than the other. You forgot some (experimental noise and ambient stuff released on Sonic Youth Records) but this is a great list anyway.

• People I'd like to hear read Green Eggs and Ham   14 years 14 weeks ago

Not Shatner?

• Favorite Kung Fu Movies   14 years 14 weeks ago

I'm sure I'll love it, but I live in the sticks so it hasn't come here yet. And it would qualify - I should probably rename this list to "Favorite Martial Arts Movies".