• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 49 weeks ago

Sure, "Black & White" is a genre in the sense of 'kind', but it's an extremely broad kind in that there are two kinds of movie, B&W and Color. The intended sense is one that includes genres that, by their very names, tell us something about the content of things that are of those genres. Get it? "B&W" tells us nothing about content.

• With all of the   13 years 49 weeks ago

I'll have to take your word that Hubbard could write sci-fi; I tried to read one of his most noted works, FINAL BLACKOUT, but didn't get far - the style was excruciating. [Hmm...interesting word "excruciating" - it's derived from a Latin word meaning "to crucify".]

Re. "subliminal": if you consciously hear it, it's not subliminal. (Sorry, I seem to have come over all pedantic :-))

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 49 weeks ago

Interesting. Why not? Or rather, what is the intended sense? To make sure I wasn't completely misusing the word, I grabbed this . . .

Genre Gen"re, n. Kind; genus; class; form; style, esp. in literature.

. . . from the Hypertext Webster Gateway, and it seems okay by that rather broad definition.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 49 weeks ago

Good memory! I forgot they were in that together.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 49 weeks ago

Much as I like your list, Jim, I have to protest that "Black & White" is definitely not a genre in the intended sense.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 49 weeks ago

Yes, THE WAR OF THE ROSES was sooooo romantic.

• So I'm feeling rather optimistic today and found s   13 years 49 weeks ago

I love Google. They cached the list in question.

• The British Film   13 years 49 weeks ago

UncRoger, many thanks for linking this list. I'm happy to say there are only a few of these I haven't seen. For me it's a list of wonderful memories. Can't think of any glaring omissions, but you get the feeling there must be one or two.

• So I'm feeling rather optimistic today and found s   13 years 49 weeks ago

Interesting. I actually posted this on taryn's behalf (weird problems with the posting form), and the link worked this morning. They must have changed something. But now I can't find it either. She she found it in the first place, maybe taryn can re-find it and post the new link.

• I lifted this quote straight from   13 years 49 weeks ago

Good one, Jim. MRQE - looks useful, so into my Favorites folder it goes.

• So I'm feeling rather optimistic today and found s   13 years 49 weeks ago

There are indeed some ill-fitting titles on the C-Today list. For example, MacIntyre's AFTER VIRTUE, although a very moral book, is definitely not a Christianity-oriented book. On the other hand, religious belief is very arrogant and takes unto itself what it likes.

BTW, you need to re-do your second link - it takes us to the HC homepage, but where do we go from there?

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   13 years 49 weeks ago

People keep telling me that Walkabout is a great movie. The consensus here here seems to be positive as well.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 49 weeks ago

Yay! I was hoping you'd add Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner. THey're so good together on-screen, it makes me wish they were married

• Books I'd assign if I were a high-school English teacher   13 years 49 weeks ago

Of those I've read, I think they're great choices. We did read "Catcher in the Rye" in high school, and it is perfect. I would also keep some other books that we read, including "The Diary of Anne Frank" , "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Crucible" because in addition to being well-written and enjoyable, they provide historical discussion material. (Of course, I truly believe that History and Literature should be one course and Writing a separate one, but I digress..."

What is also interesting to me is that in the real world, a lot of these well written and valid books have or would come up against parental or community protest, especially "The Color Purple," "Maurice",and "Trainspotting." I believe many of this objections would be misguided In fact many places can no longer teach "The Crucible," because it is about witches!, even though the theme of the play is ironically about people being persecuted falsely and the frenzy that a few people can stir up in a community against people that are differant or strange in some way.

• BREAK-UP MUSIC: for a boy or a girl....   13 years 49 weeks ago

:):):) don't worry!

• Movies I'd REALLY REALLY like to talk about with someone   13 years 49 weeks ago

sorry i thought you lived in this college dorm, dakin, there's a section of it called g3...g section, 3rd floor...:)...barbieOO

• With all of the   13 years 49 weeks ago

I recall something similar about the movie THE EXORCIST. The claim was that there were certain frames of a bloody skull clipped into the film to promote terror. The idea was that one frame was inserted every so often and was not discernable while watching the film. At the time this created quite a stir because this type of subliminal messaging was a violation of the film-makers code of ethics. As I recall there was some sort of Congressional investigation which typically lead to nothing. I wonder if the film-maker slipped a few frames of a man yawning into CIDER HOUSE RULES. It certainly had that effect on me.

• With all of the   13 years 49 weeks ago

Have you guys heard the hype about the movie, re: subliminal messaging?
    Supposedly the church of Scientology (The book was written by L. Ron Hubbard, L. Ron is a Scientologist, Travolta is a Scientologist, see the connection? :) has worked to include in the movie subliminal messaging to make a person open to the ideas of the Church, and to make them interested in joining.
    I can't find the article right now, I'll keep looking, but it was a long thing written by people who claimed to be former members of the church of Scientology, who were privy to all their dastardly plans.
    Either way, something to think about, if you find yourself seeing the movie and suddenly thinking that maybe those Scientologists have it right fter all :)

• Hottest Actresses   13 years 49 weeks ago

as to the lack of Angelina Jolie, I simply haven't seen any of her movies yet. Isn't that Crazy?
    i'm not sure if she'd make my personal list, though. Without having seen her movies, it's almost impossible to tell, but for now she doesn't radiate that certain something for me.

• Has anybody seen Gladiator yet? Is it wort   13 years 49 weeks ago

hmm... tough call. I personally would say that I liked Gladiator a little better, but I'm more interested in Roman history than Celtic.
    I'd guess that most would go for Braveheart over Gladiator.

• Hottest Actresses   13 years 49 weeks ago

are you kidding?!

• Hottest Actresses   13 years 49 weeks ago

Nrr, nrr,
    v. nice list. but i agree w, antihero, where's angelina jolie?

• i eagerly look forward to seeing these...still under construction   13 years 49 weeks ago

hi doll,
    i finally visited your fav site. nice movie list, i can't believe you haven't seen pecker yet.

g3 is my computer (I love macs, especially this one). Where's dakin?

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 49 weeks ago

Is that from "Primary Colors"?