• Some Flicks & Why I like them   14 years 14 weeks ago

Thank you both - I've spent the last couple of days reading through much of this site, getting familiar with the regulars. I've enjoyed both of your lists as well as your comments on numerous other lists.

I have checked out the High Fidelity list...thanks for the reference. I think I will take your challenge for the "genre" list, though I think my experience will be fairly limited in many genres. Hope I don't disappoint.

• Some Flicks & Why I like them   14 years 14 weeks ago

If you liked the High Fidelity lists (a movie I'm looking forward to), you should check out this old Listology item that includes links to all the lists.

Nice contribution, by the way! Looking forward to a definitive "favorites" list, if one is in the cards. Or, if you're up to the challenge, a number of us have created "favorites by genre" lists, and I'd be curious to see yours.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 14 weeks ago

I had the advantage of seeing The Phantom Menace well after it had been savaged by every critic and his/her grandmother. Based on the lambasting it took, I'd have to put in on an underrated list rather than an overrated one ("over-anticipated" certainly, but I don't see how it's possible for this one to be overrated). Sure, it was the worst of the four, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everybody said (or maybe my expectations had been so thoroughly battered that I cut it too much slack). I hated Jar Jar too, but I would have loved him at seven (my age when A New Hope came out). I think this movie suffered critically because it was just a big set up for what is to come (and because of Jar Jar).

And I must say your disenchantment with the rest of the movie must have colored your perception of light saber duel, which was excellent. One of the best action scenes in any of the series.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Btw, you don't have to listen to all of a piece (though I hope you will, sooner or later) before sampling the next one. Just go to the next one, click on it, and it will automatically replace the one that's currently playing.

• Favorite Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

I believe you're thinking of The Opposite of Sex, which did contain an annoying voice-over.

• Some Flicks & Why I like them   14 years 15 weeks ago

Enjoyed your remarks, especially about SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and APOCALYPSE NOW. One of the ugliest things commercial advertising does is mutilate great music.

• Favorite Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

You're right. I'm getting Buffalo 66 mixed up with another Christina Ricci film that was out at the same time, where she went to live with her gay brother and Lisa Kudrow ends up falling for Lyle Lovett.... Mea Culpa! Buffalo 66 indeed sounds good.

• favorite actresses   14 years 15 weeks ago

I guess I could be seeing them, too, because I'm in Rochester...

• Music I'd Like to Get Into   14 years 15 weeks ago

No, I don't own The Trinity Sessions as of yet, but I am definitely considering it!

• Favorite One Hit Wonders   14 years 15 weeks ago

i just heard "died in your arms tonight" by cutting crew the other day and it was so good! surprisingly, it didn't sound that *dated*... also, there was that band called Johnny Hates Jazz--what did they sing again?

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Bertie it worked so well Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel is still playing as I type this. LOL, I didn't realize I had to wait until this one was over to listen to the others.

By the way, excellent sites!

• 0011. Albums I Brought to Work Today - And Why (6/16/00)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Great list with excellent commentary. I hope you'll leave it up and create future installments rather than overwriting this one.

• Favorite Christmas Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

How 'bout The Grinch That Stole Christmas? And have you seen The Santa Clause?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 15 weeks ago

Assuming this is what you did . . .

"So how does one identify an opening line within the rules? - well, by recognizing it or by having a hunch (or following one of the challenger's hints, if any) and finding it by looking through actual paper books. Use of search engines is out, but if you used one of the library sites to confirm your hunch about a quote, that would be okay."

. . . that would be okay.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 15 weeks ago

Forgive my meddling, but I've cloaked a portion of your post above. And as a friendly reminder to anyone who reads this, check out this Listology spoiler link.

• favorite actresses   14 years 15 weeks ago

yes, i think we're quite lucky here in Rochester, NY. we have the George Eastman Dryden Theatre, which shows a great variety of films--from its collection, from visiting filmmakers, or premieres of major restoration projects. here's what they're showing this month.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 15 weeks ago

Sorry so scarce. I'm out of the office today, so my Listology time has been little.

The quote is definitely yours, Bertie, and congrats for getting it. The book is wonderful, and I hope some might be tempted to try it.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim, but the matter won't really be resolved for me until I hear from lbangs. He's pretty strict with himself (didn't want to claim an answer because it was gained from cinematic rather than literary knowledge), so I won't blame him if he's strict with me too. When I say use of search engines is out, I mainly mean putting the actual quote into one.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks for letting me know. Hope you will enjoy the music and sites. One warning: the MIDI format seems to suit music best that was written for keyboard. Some of the MIDI files are rather unfortunate.

• Favorite Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

If you are referring to a narrator, than I don't recall there be a voice over in this film at all. I think Buffalo 66 is one of the most original films I've seen, although I have heard that it is supposed to be a deconstruction of "Taxi Driver." I liked that Vincent Gallo, the director, used a camcorder and older, outdated equipment to obtain a "real," raw quality, and brighter colors. I liked how flashbacks were accompained by visual boxes popping up in the film; for instance, the part where he reminds his mom that he is allergic to chocolate and it flashes back to him as a kid, where his mom has yet again forgotten his allergy, and his face is covered with hives. I have never seen this technique in a movie before. I liked the plot and liked that it was filmed in dreary Buffalo; being from Rochester, over an hour away from Buffalo, I could definitely relate and found the references to the Buffalo Bills football team, and especially the Super Bowl where Scott Norwood ruined Buffalo's victory, to be close to home and amusing. I thought it was funny, too. Vincent Gallo himself had a lot of good one liners, and I was amused on how Billy (Vincent Gallo's) parents treated him when he came home, as well as the "Goon," Billy's best friend. I liked the double and trick ending; how he could have died, but he decides not to shoot himself and go back to Christia Ricci's character, to the women who loves him. I loved this optimistic, still-believe-in-love twist, and I thought it was a very sweet story about underdogs finally getting something they want, and love. If I had to criticize anything, it would be Christina Ricci's character's treatment; how she was dressed provactively and how she fell for him so easily. But, as you can see, it is one of my favorite films for all these reasons, and probably more.

• My Wish List: H to P by Author   14 years 15 weeks ago

I read it long ago, in high school, and remember liking it. I need to reread it. I think that it is maybe a little farfetched, but, at the same time, with the developments of cloning and how soon people will be able to choose just about every genetically determined trait for their children (scientifically, it will be possible... whether morally it is allowed is a different question), I think that it is more relevant than it may first appear.

• My Wish List: A to G by Author   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks, DaveNut. I've been looking for this one in used bookstores, but haven't found a copy I want to get yet. But, it's high on my list. :)

• My Wish List: H to P by Author   14 years 15 weeks ago

Once again, I've only read one and that one would be Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I heard over and over again that it was a terrifying book, but I read it and didn't find it all that terrifying. It was a good book, but to me it just seemed a bit too farfetched.

• My Wish List: A to G by Author   14 years 15 weeks ago

(Blushing shamefully.) I'm afriad to say the only one I've read is Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury. I've read it three times, and although I don't remember my exact feelings towards it, I must have liked it if I read it that often.

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 15 weeks ago

Beverly Cleary. "Boy books" oh I see, LOL. I didn't realize.