• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 17 weeks ago

41 = I am David??

• Unputdownable!   14 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah... I kind of agree. I never realised that until you mentioned it. =)

• As requested by my man jim:favorites by genre   14 years 17 weeks ago

Excellent list, thanks! What are the "Up" documentaries? I loved Hoop Dreams, so I was thinking I might add those to my "to see" list.

• movies I really ought to see sometime   14 years 17 weeks ago

which one is that a reply to?

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

just rememberd no.35 is she really going out with him was by joe jackson no99 the logical song by supertramp no65 sultans of swing by dire straits no69 you shook me all night long by acdc

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

no.6 killer queen by oueen no.14 refugee by tom petty and the heartbreakers no.26 downunder by men at work no.33 turning japanese by the vapours no33is she really going out with him by?no37 old time rock and roll by bob seger no.49 the pretender by jackson browne no59 summer of 69 by bryan adams no.86 rock and roll all nite by kiss no91 heart of glass by blondie no63 scenes from an italian restaurant by billy joel

• I like   14 years 17 weeks ago

I have noticed this trend for a number of years - if you play the retarded person, the handicapped person, a member of the opposite sex, or any other person with some kind of obvious eccentricity, you are seemingly automatically nominated for an oscar, and will frequently win. Linda Hunt, Holly Hunter, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Tom Hanks, etc., come to mind. And I like many of these performances and consider them good enough for accolades, but not enough "normal" portrayals win awards. It is EXTREMELY difficult to act "normal," more so than it is to play someone blind or mute, which can fall into the trap of being "over the top," as this article indicated. Some of the most egregious mistakes in the Oscars have been overlooking Paul Neuman in this instance, Anthony Hopkins in "The Remains of the Day" (he did win for playing a diabolical cannibal, however), Ralph Fiennes in "Schindler's List" (he lost to Tommy Lee Jones!), and Peter Fonda in "Ulee's Gold." Their seemingly simple, but very complex portrayals of their characters in these films sometimes makes my jaw drop in awe. I cry every time I watch the scenes in "The Remains of the Day" when Ms. Kenton approaches Mr. Stephens as he is "caught" reading a romance novel, and when Mr Stephens learns of his father's death. They are so understated that the true pain and emotional turmoil of the character, which are aggressively suppressed, comes out tenfold for me. This is the sign of the true tearjerker for me. Debra Winger dying in "Terms of Endearment" is less emotional than how Shirley McLaine reacts to it afterward - her energy is sapped so greatly that it even effects how she merely stands up. Could it be that it is more emotional powerful to watch an actor who has been sapped of energy, instead of one who overexerts to portray the eccentricities?

• Best movies about being a teenager   14 years 17 weeks ago

check out"Over The edge" if you haven't seen it.Man it is brilliant.

• Songs with days of the week in the title, please add more!   14 years 17 weeks ago

I DONT LIKE MONDAYS-THE BOOMTOWN RATS

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

here are my guesses:
    9. just like heaven-the cure
    54. saving all my love for you-whitney houston
    83. hold me now-the thompson twins
    84. rio-duran duran

fun list!

• Ten Best Films Of The 1990's   14 years 17 weeks ago

Reservoir Dogs is very good.But not because of character development. None of the characters are developed enough for me to really care about, with the exception of Mr. White, who through story line is made that way. The circumstances revolving around their dilemna makes this fun to watch.

• amazing things about kubrick   14 years 17 weeks ago

you know bertie thats a good point. It seems during crucial scenes, he's able to find music that enhances his mood. It seems really strong in Full Metal Jacket as well, especially the ending scene when the troops are standing over the dying sniper.

• Unputdownable!   14 years 17 weeks ago

You should definitely be able to identify one of the unidentified quotes on my Great Opening Lines list.

Thanks for this list, btw, even though it's pretty strongly gender-biased.

• amazing things about kubrick   14 years 17 weeks ago

For me, one of the great things about Kubrick is/was his ability to find the perfect music to enhance his visual art. This is particularly evident in DR STRANGELOVE, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, and BARRY LYNDON.

• As requested by my man jim:favorites by genre   14 years 17 weeks ago

Thoroughly approve of your Comedy, War (Vietnam), Science Fiction, and Western choices.

For me, LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD is the film I've long wanted to see but never met up with. I've heard both very good and very bad opinions of it.

DRESSED TO KILL is very good, given that it owes a lot to Hitchcock.

• Ten Best Films Of The 1990's   14 years 17 weeks ago

Why not "Reservoir Dogs"? Over time I've come to view "Reservoir Dogs" as definitely the deeper film with better characterizations.

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

thanks. That was one I couldn't figure out!

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

97. Red, Red, Wine-- UB40

• Most romantic movies   14 years 17 weeks ago

jen- i'm glad to see you mentioned the first kiss scene in SKOW...it still gives me goosebumps every time i see it! and the song playing in the background is cool too.

• 10 most respected members of listology(not in order)   14 years 17 weeks ago

Wow, thanks! I'm honored to be listed and put in such fine company. Of these folks, I fully expect to be the first one bounced from the list when somebody else cracks the top five. :-)

• films featuring electric or other shocks   14 years 17 weeks ago

Wes Craven's Shocker. Truly awful. And I think the villian in Fallen (also awful) gets the chair. And didn't either (or both) Godzilla or King Kong get lured into power lines at various times? Then there's the shock treatment administered to Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

• Top Five Brat Pack Movies   14 years 17 weeks ago

thanks for the info Barbie. I'd be very interested to see oyur list of Brat Pack favs. When I do, I'll drop you a line and let you know what i think. Thanks again for your comment.

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

This is a good list for me, too

1. Java Jive-- The Ink Spots (or Manhatten Transfer)
    20. River-- Joni Mitchell
    59. Summer of '69-- Bryan Adams
    80. (You Can) Call me Al-- Paul Simon

• Another lyric list   14 years 17 weeks ago

Which leaves me with:
    5. Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones
    34. Centerfold - J. Geils Band
    37. Old Time Rock N' Roll - Bob Segar
    62. Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi
    63. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel
    71. Boys of Summer - Don Henley
    72. Hot Blooded - Foreigner
    98. Voices Carry - Til Tuesday

• Resonant Movies, Tier One   14 years 17 weeks ago

Another factor is that I try not to duplicate entries (I have a few duplicates, but not many). It turns out that many older movies that leapt immediately to mind are on other lists of mine already. For example, The Sting, Casablanca, The Thin Man, Singing in the Rain, and Mary Poppins are all here.