• BREAK-UP MUSIC: for a boy or a girl....   13 years 50 weeks ago

ah-HA!! I know you, Car Boy! (ask EK; she'll tell you what that means). REM! Totally! Hey, babs, you should put up "Losing My Religion", not because it's about breaking up per se, but because on every episode of 90210 (the high school years) where someone would break up, it'd always mournfully playing in the background (I'm thinking of the first Dylan-Brenda debacle, where they were up a cliff in his Porsche, and she was axing the relationship for the first time, and he was like, "Bren...are you sure?", and his eyes were all teary...awww....>sniff<. Magical moments, man. Now that's a break up song!)
    ;)-groovytune

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 50 weeks ago

"Was it a dream where you were where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 50 weeks ago

I also can't remember any films with Grant and Bergman?? What are they?

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 50 weeks ago

I, under normal circumstances agree with you, however I really think that Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner have wonderful chemistry and could have been in more movies together. It just seems that with the death of the Hollywood studio system, the same people don't work together as much anymore. I can't think of any other male-female couple in the 1980's or 1990's that made even three good films together.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 50 weeks ago

I just spent two days trying to remember what Irene Dunne's name was so that I could add her to this list!!!

• Movies that made me Cry (a lot)   13 years 50 weeks ago

I think Inherit the Wind made me cry becasue it is about injustice. I find that that makes me cry. I have seen Man in the Moon, and I just forgot about it. I love it, and it did make me cry, a lot. I believe I will add that to my list, thanks

• I don't know about you, but I use   13 years 50 weeks ago

Just to let you know, I tried the Navigator "bookmarklet" and it does work for MAC. Thanks

• Top 10 Frank Capra   13 years 50 weeks ago

Lost Horizon, while an OK movie, is certainly not up there with the others on the list. I'm not really sure you do need to see it again

• Favorite Speculative Fiction   13 years 50 weeks ago

If you can find them, his books of short stories are the best: Axiomatic (out of print but not impossible to find) and Luminous (only available in the UK). I just finished Quarantine and enjoyed it. I've now read all of his novels I believe and have liked them all.

• songs i will play at my bellringing...   13 years 50 weeks ago

Hi BarbieOO, glad to see my new favorite band erasure made it onto the list. You'll be having your bell ringing soon enough and much sooner then some others (such as mr. big 3-0). Will it be a BYO AshTray Event?

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 50 weeks ago

Why a spoon cousin? It's dull, it'll hurt more you twit. You are very right!

• With all of the   13 years 50 weeks ago

I know very little about Scientology/Dianetics except that I've heard it's kinda a "pay to advance" scheme. I've never read Battlefield, but am looking forward to the movie for it's own sake. I heard similar "Scientology propaganda" charges levelled against Phenomenon, which I kinda enjoyed. But I'm not a Scientologist yet, so if there was propaganda in that, it probably wasn't too effective.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 50 weeks ago

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your version. I've made the recommended Shakespeare addition (sort of).

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   13 years 50 weeks ago

I too thought it was excellent. Thanks for reminding me. Definitely listworthy.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 50 weeks ago

#35 Robin Hood Prince of Thieves?

• Favorite Speculative Fiction   13 years 50 weeks ago

Have you read any Greg Egan?

• out of print books I eventually want to get my hands on copies of   13 years 50 weeks ago

That would probably require me being luckier than I am. Thanks though. I've had some luck with abe books in the past.

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   13 years 50 weeks ago

oh, no doubt... Kilmer made an amazing Doc, I thought, and he was definitely the high point of the movie.
    Although, I was also pleased with each of the other's performance too, and thought Kurt Russell made a better Wyatt than Costner.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   13 years 50 weeks ago

I have to admit: you kick ass too, jenhowel.
    DEAD-ALIVE [a.k.a. BRAINDEAD] is a must-see for horror fans, and in the horror-comedy genre it rules. I don't know how, but this one slipped my memory until I read your description of it and immediately thought "That's got to be BRAINDEAD". Many thanks for the reminder.

And, yes, the Mad Max movies were definitely Australian made.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 50 weeks ago

Ha! Come to think of it, I do have that habit. Damn! Did it again. I'll quit it (or at least try).

Actually, while I thought Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner had great chemistry in Romancing the Stone, I think the only other movies they were in together were the sequel and WotR. Personally, I look for more longevity in a "couple," so I'd have to agree with you.

• Underrated Movies - either bad reviews or no sales   13 years 50 weeks ago

I agree about the Devil's Advocate. Any movie with Keanu Reeves is definitely a "DO NOT" see! I don't understand how/why such a no-talent, monotone-voiced actor has been promoted by the Hollywood machine as being someone great. He just sucks.

• Favorite Romantic Comedy Couples   13 years 50 weeks ago

Once again, Jim jumps in with an attempt at a defusing comment.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 50 weeks ago

Plot Number One being exceptional, of course. But that's just because not many people know what it means - yet.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 50 weeks ago

Sure, "Black & White" is a genre in the sense of 'kind', but it's an extremely broad kind in that there are two kinds of movie, B&W and Color. The intended sense is one that includes genres that, by their very names, tell us something about the content of things that are of those genres. Get it? "B&W" tells us nothing about content.

• With all of the   13 years 50 weeks ago

I'll have to take your word that Hubbard could write sci-fi; I tried to read one of his most noted works, FINAL BLACKOUT, but didn't get far - the style was excruciating. [Hmm...interesting word "excruciating" - it's derived from a Latin word meaning "to crucify".]

Re. "subliminal": if you consciously hear it, it's not subliminal. (Sorry, I seem to have come over all pedantic :-))