• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   14 years 6 weeks ago

;) Unfortunately, there is no doubt in my mind that I will never enjoy this film as much as I did when I was 15 years old and watching it in the theater for the first time. The film could have used a few more realistic characters and a severely trimmed ending (does every good guy have to have his or her moment in the sun in the last 15 minutes?), but I still love Willis' character and the degree to which the film could stretch one's disbelief without snapping it in two, a characteristic most action films lack. Of course, Rickman is still fantastic. I still like Die Hard to some degree, but that 15 year old boy years ago LOVED it.

• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   14 years 6 weeks ago

It's funny, I just rewatched Die Hard for the first time in 10 years. Alan Rickman is still wonderful, but Bruce Willis (who I like in general) is really pretty bad. Used to be, I felt slight guilt-pangs at watching it because of the huge suspension-of-disbelief required and glorified violence. Now I feel genuine guilt pangs because of the incredible stupidity of almost every "good" guy except Bruce Willis, some painful dialog, and some terrible acting. Don't get me wrong - I still really enjoyed it, but with much more salt.

• favorite directors   14 years 6 weeks ago

Burton has a cameo in Singles as a dating video director, which may account for the confusion, but as far as I know, that is the extent of his involvement with the project. Ed Wood is a great film, as is the mighty Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

•   14 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks! I recommend searching through used book stores. The book is still in print, but since it was first published in the 60s, there are many used copies circulating rather cheaply. I picked mine up for about 3 dollars at a local used book store.

• Fun Movies, Tier One   14 years 6 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if I actually rewatched it, it would have any problem making my "rewatchable" list.

• favorite directors   14 years 6 weeks ago

Great list! One correction: Singles was written and directed by Cameron Crowe. I don't think Tim Burton had anything to do with it. However, Burton's Ed Wood was excellent, and isn't on your list so far, if you want to make a replacement. :)

• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   14 years 6 weeks ago

One of the largest flaws that stands out is the ending, which is basically a retread of the original's ending. I'll say no more about that to avoid being a spoiler, but anybody who has seen both films knows what I mean. Also, Cameron's tin ear infects the script with troubled dialogue, especially where the space marines talk more like a 12 year old imagines a marine might talk like than how a true marine would talk. He also shoots himself a bit in the foot by creating an action film with many aliens. The mass amount of alien carnage quickly lowers the terror the original had established with simply one alien. I have no problem with it being an action film, but a bit more prudence may have kept the aliens even more frightening. Additionally, a few of the actions scenes could have been directed a bit better.

Still, I like the film. There are some nice action scenes, Cameron does know how to build up a story slowly, and I for one had no problem with the young girl and her relationship to Ripley. I still believe the first one is better, and I believe Aliens to be over-rated because it seems to appear on quite a few favorite-of-all-time lists (I haven't counted, but I seem to see it listed more than, say, Citizen Kane). IMO it is a good, not a great, film.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 6 weeks ago

Nah, I definitely prefer "Plain Old Jim." I'd rather be underestimated than overestimated.

•   14 years 6 weeks ago

Thanks for the recommendation. As you can see, your opinion carries some weight with me. :)

• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   14 years 6 weeks ago

You're the second person to claim Aliens as overrated (I think lbangs was the other, and I think he might have also used the word "flawed", but I could be wrong). But so far you've both spoken in general terms. What are the specific problems/flaws you perceive?

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 6 weeks ago

Wow! I debated whether to post number 40, as I wasn't sure if anybody here had heard the wonderful song, and yet you guessed it in less than a day! Correct on both accounts.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 6 weeks ago

Correct again! I realized yesterday that I had shamefully neglected this great artist, so of course, I had to add one. You're right; he has so many great songs to choose from.

L. Bangs (Still shocked nobody has guessed the U2 quote yet...)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 6 weeks ago

Yeah, I had another, more obscure quote by the band, but I'm trying to balance out some of my tougher quotes with some easier ones, so I went a bit soft on this one. I figured most Floyd fans would know any lyric I posted anyway. Great job!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 6 weeks ago

#40 is is "Born Slippy," by Underworld. #44 is "Down By The Water," by P.J. Harvey.

• currently reading   14 years 6 weeks ago

I haven't gotten terribly far yet, (I've been too tired to read more than a chapter a night yet) but I want to see what's going to happen next, so I guess that's a good sign. I'll let you know more when I finish it.

• Sorry I've been so absent of late. I need two of   14 years 6 weeks ago

It is his film because he is the producer, and he is certainly one of those modern-day producers who has more control and influence over his films than even the directors do. For all purposes, he is the creator of his films. If the script stinks, it is because he has never given a rip about choosing a decent screenplay nor nurturing it till is at least half way decent.

At least that's my take on it.

• Favorite Fiction Books   14 years 6 weeks ago

You have made me very happy (excepting the Thompson book). I have longed for someone to realize that, despite the awards Beloved has won, Song of Solomon is perhaps Morrison's best work. The only other real competition I know of is Jazz. I am sick of seeing Beloved (a book that could not begin to live up to its own grand ambitions) everywhere; it is a delight to see SOS on your list.

A good list.

• currently reading   14 years 6 weeks ago

How is the Tom Robbins book-- I have really enjoyed his work, but I heard this one is not worth the read.

• Plays I Dislike   14 years 6 weeks ago

Do you dislike these on principal because they are very popular musicals and very over done, or do you judge them on their own merits? I have found that the longer a musical plays with no changes, it just becomes old and stale..... I'm not saying that these are great, by any means (although I do like Mss Saigon, shameless tearjerker that it is, it gets to me)

• Favorite Fiction Books   14 years 6 weeks ago

Have you read any more John Irving-- he's a really wonderful writer and if you like his style in Garp, you will probably like at least Prayer for Own Meany, The Hotel New Hampshire, Cider House Rules, and Widow for One Year. Other good titles of his are Son of the Circus and Water Method Man. I would avoid Setting Free the Bears (its his first book). Great list and congratulations on making it through Crime and Punishment, I have yet to do so.

• Sorry I've been so absent of late. I need two of   14 years 6 weeks ago

Jim -- Isn't Gone in 60 Seconds a remake of a 1970s flick. At least I remember watching a movie of the same title at least 15 years ago. If it is a remake, it really can't be called a "Jerry Bruckheimer movie", unless you consider that only he would choose to REMAKE a movie with such an absurd plot.

• favorite directors   14 years 6 weeks ago

good call. i was just looking at this list of stuff he's been involved with on allmovie.com and missed the part that said Actor... thanks for the clarification, though! (btw, i have yet to see Ed Wood--but when i do, i'm sure i'll be adding it.)

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'll admit, I love jazz (especially Davis) and Chicago blues, but since I have so many friends with these CDs, I usually borrow rather than buy discs in these genres.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 6 weeks ago

37 is Paranoid Android, and I notice you are quickly approaching the lead! 41 is probably not the most popular song, but the artist is quite esteemed, and anybody hearing the song will likely never forget that particular lyric.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 6 weeks ago

Speaking for Jim, no, it is not Last Kiss, but you are very, very close.