• Best Self Love Song   14 years 9 weeks ago

Your missing your hands-down winner: The Most Wonderful Girl by Lords of Acid. It's on the Sliver soundtrack, and truly must be heard to be believed.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 9 weeks ago

No "Pump It Up," by Elvis Costello?

• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   14 years 9 weeks ago

I enjoyed Evil Dead, but while it seems a bit weaker than the films on this list, it also strikes me more as a comedy than a true horror film seriously meant to scare the living wits out of folks. More of a Re-Animator, actually...

• Books read in 2001   14 years 9 weeks ago

Thanks for the info. It actually makes me want to read it more, as I'm sort of into biographies right now. That it focuses more on Galileo is a plus, for me.

• Best year in the 90's for Movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

Naturally, this all boils down to opinion. I think Election is horribly over-rated, and I didn't like the Sixth Sense or The Talented Mr. Ripley nearly as much as the films I listed for 1994. Additionally, you're talking to somebody who believes Amateur and Pulp Fiction may well be the two best films of the 90s, and the others I mentioned are also mostly quite high on that list. I somehow left off Three Colors: Red from my list of great 1994 films, and I didn't even mention the merely good films from the year, such as Ed Wood, The Shawshank Redemption, Quiz Show.

Only All About My Mother and Being John Malkovich can really begin to compete with the films I listed.

So, we'll just have to disagree here, but I strongly believe 1994 was the best year for film in our previous decade.

• Best year in the 90's for Movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

But 1999 gave us Being John Malkovich, Run Lola Run, Topsy Turvy, The Insider, Election, The Matrix, The Straight Story, All About My Mother, Man on the Moon, Magnolia, The Sixth Sense, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and The End of the Affair. American Beauty ws not my cuppa tea, but a lot of people liked it. I think that 1999 will prove more influential (Pulp Fiction excluded).

• Favorite Dramas   14 years 9 weeks ago

I guess I'm the only one that had major problems with it because the videography made me nearly seasick.. Got a headache because of the shaky video...

• Best year in the 90's for Movies   14 years 9 weeks ago

Boy, this was the easiest poll yet. 1994 gave us Pulp Fiction, Amateur, Forrest Gump, Chungking Express, Heavenly Creatures, To Live, and Eat Drink Man Woman. A fantastic year.

• themed compilation: color   14 years 9 weeks ago

How about
    Famous Blue Raincoat, Leonard Cohen
    Blue Shadows, Donna the Buffalo

J

• read in 2001   14 years 9 weeks ago

loved it. One Hundred Years of Solitude was a couple of years ago. I remember liking it but I'm not sure which one I liked better.

I'm wondering now how much of the rest of his stuff is worth reading. (I've picked up a few more that are now part of my HUGE pile of books to be read)

• read in 2001   14 years 9 weeks ago

Did you enjoy Love in the Time of Cholera? I did.

Have you read One Hundred Years in Solitude yet? An even better book, in my humble estimation.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 9 weeks ago

M'Lord, what I had in mind for this list was pairs of movies that have very similar themes and were released within a year of each other. The earliest version of KSM came out decades before ROTLA. So, while I agree that there is probably a strong influence here, the time gap is much too wide.

• Top ten Hollywood Director's if you made the list in 1960   14 years 9 weeks ago

The book by Crowe on Wilder is wonderful. Crowe is a great interviewer while Wilder is amazing, his responses are witty and interesting even though he's 90 some years old!!! I got this one from my library and was planning on only reading a few pages, but it was so good and so informative I had to end up reading all of it.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 9 weeks ago

I will add this right away.

• Best Self Love Song   14 years 9 weeks ago

I haven't heard this one, but I will investigate.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 9 weeks ago

In my humble opinion, I would think that Resevoir Dogs could be added to this list. Having seen Tarantino's other films before this one I expected to find a great deal of violence in it but found it unwatchable after watching one of the crooks pour gasoline over a cop and then cut off his ear--on screen! yuck! Fascinating to watch? Yes--Disturbing as well? God yes.

Andy Griffith was great in a Face in the Crowd. It is a shame he became so stereotyped. He really could act.

Great job on the new entries. I could not agree more with your comments concerning Hitchcock. My wife and I have both discussed how much the content restraints he worked under seemed to improve his films. One viewing of one of his later works where he had no such restraints (say, Frenzy) shows how much his powers of suggestive suspense flowered under the code limiting how much violence and sex he could actually show on screen.

Again, great list!

• Recently Seen Movies - With Comments, But No Spoilers   14 years 9 weeks ago

Just saw Fight Club recently. Hmmm...what is one to make of it? It does speak to a generation but the philosophy that Tyler Durden spouts sounds like so much Nietzsche. I get the feeling that the angst that these men are experiencing leads them to behave the way they do--and I do use the word "men" loosely. Angst is the quality often attributed to teenagers-and these nutcases in this flick sure seem to act like little boys.

• The 15 Greatest Science Fiction Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

Alien goes on about 30 minutes too long. I like Aliens better, and it wasn't very close to getting on this list itself.

Stalker is a Russian film. Here is a good description I stole from IMDB.

Near a gray and unnamed city is The Zone, an alien place guarded by barbed wire and soldiers. Over his wife's strenuous objections, a man rises in the dead of night: he's a stalker, one of a handful who have the mental gifts (and who risk imprisonment) to lead people into The Zone to The Room, a place where one's secret hopes come true. That night, he takes two people into The Zone: a popular writer who is burned out, cynical, and questioning his genius; and, a quiet scientist more concerned about his knapsack than the journey. In the deserted Zone, the approach to The Room must be indirect. As they draw near, the rules seem to change and the stalker faces a crisis.

It is very abstract. It is also much more thoughtful than the average science fiction film. The visual imagery is amazing. I highly recommend Stalker to anyone who likes pondering over his / her science fiction.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 9 weeks ago

I am wondering if one could add Raiders of the Lost Ark and King Solomon's Mines to this list? If Indiana Jones isn't the side clone of Alan Quartermain, then the Flinstones aren't a takeoff on the Honeymooner's (but that would have to be a different list.) Not that Raiders isn't a superior film--it is.

• themed compilation: rain   14 years 9 weeks ago

I nominate Bob Dylan's A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall and Ric Alba's Rain in Amsterdam. (Yeah, nobody but's me heard the last one, but it is terrific!)

Fun list!

Henry terrified me like few films have been able to, I will give you that one easily. But what do you think about Evil Dead?

I fear that I must disagree. True, Night of the Living Dead was not a gore fest like many current "horror" films seem to be, but is its strength. I still have nightmares over that film and watch it whenever it comes on TV--and I hate horror films!

• Favorite Law and Order Detective   14 years 9 weeks ago

I like that character as well. I never watched Homicide very much, but I'm glad they were able to bring that character over. I think that my second favorite, though, is a toss up between Rey and Elliot.

• Best Director of all Time   14 years 9 weeks ago

I find it hard to believe that you place directors like Quentin Tarantino on here(although I love his films) yet you omit very influential and great directors from the silent era, such as Griffith, Murnau...