• Movies I'd give my first born child for   14 years 14 weeks ago

Ok, Sarah, I'm totally in love with you, or at least your list. That's darn close to my top 10 list myself. Only thing I'd miss is Brazil, Lawrence of Arabia, and hmmm... you've basically nailed it for me.

*Cheers*

DSK
    DarkStormyKnight@hotmail.com

• 0002. Sadly Overlooked CDs of the 90s   14 years 14 weeks ago

Dude, people in America love Primal Scream-Screamadelica. At least critics, it made just about enery American magazine's best of the 90's list.

• What's the more important point to take away from   14 years 14 weeks ago

I agree. Pretty slim pickings. Not a single one will "make me go" to the theater as some films do. I will probably see Unbreakable, Vertical Limit and Cast Away. Everything else can wait for the small screen.

• LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 14 weeks ago

hi jen, #24 sounds like something from rushmore but i can't get to my CDs right now b/c i'm at home...hope it rings a bell with someone else -katherine

ps. i love that you included #2! yay for SKOW.

• 100 Best American Rock Albums (2000 Edition)   14 years 14 weeks ago

Okay, almost five months later and I think I've given this enough thought. What I've come up with is embarrassingly simple (either a sign that I've distilled the issue to its essence, or failed to plumb its depths - I suspect the latter). Anyway . . .

I figure to create a "best" list the author must be educated and experienced enough on the subject to quantifiably disqualify other contenders from the list.

I told you it was embarrassing. But I think it has some merit. Clearly, "quantifiably" is kinda tough it matters of art, and I'm not even going to try to pin it down.

As for "disqualifying other contenders", the list author must be broadly experienced to be able to do this well (out of a field of say 1000 entries, anybody can just pick the top 10 and call them "best", but for that to be viable, they should also be able to say why the other 990 don't make the cut). I'm not saying that the list author has to have seen/read/heard everything, but it should be a substantial body of work (what do I mean by "substantial"? who knows?).

The list itself doesn't have to address the bulk of work that didn't qualify, but the author should be able to field "what about so-and-so" questions (just a personal guideline).

Anyway, that's my best shot for now. It feels weak. Sorry! For what it's worth, this is why I don't make "best" lists - I don't feel I know enough.

• What's the more important point to take away from   14 years 14 weeks ago

Ah yes, a good point. Of those fourteen you list, I'm looking forward to, well, Unbreakable. Is anybody else eagerly anticipating some of those others? I may be out of touch, but it seems like a pretty thin holiday season, even with the slew of releases.

• favorite actresses   14 years 14 weeks ago

what do you think of chloe sevigny

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Worth Watching Through The Credits   14 years 14 weeks ago

I always stay through the credits and glare at those who leave early. It's kind of a respect thing for those who worked so hard on the movie. I have to admit, though, I don't read them all. Toy Story 1 had good credits too, btw. And Grumpy/Grumpier old men. (The penguin with all the lewd comments...) And Roger Rabbit had bloopers. The old Burt Reynolds and Dom Delouise movies had bloopers too, I think.

• What's the more important point to take away from   14 years 14 weeks ago
  • LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 14 weeks ago

#16 must be "Blame Canada" from those delightful scamps at South Park...*SHAMELESS PLUG* "If you're looking for easier quotes to find, check ender22ds' lyric challenge! *END SHAMELESS PLUG*

• Movies that are as good as or better than their literary source   14 years 14 weeks ago

I don't read TV guide, but here's a try at a synopsis:
    The true story of author Anais Nin's affair with Henry Miller and his wife June, which led to her sexual awakening and some of her best writing. It features Maria de Medeiros, Uma Thurman (at her best), Fred Ward, Richard E. Grant, and unexpectedly and interestingly, Kevin Spacey. A great movie if you want to arouse everyone in the room.
    A cautionary note, however: this movie is not as rewarding if you've never read any Nin. I recommend an encounter with her erotica or diaries before trying to view it. I didn't truly appreciate this film until I realized how well it captured the spirit of her life and times.
    Other notes - great costuming, phenomenal soundtrack (music was selected from diaries of Miller and Nin to reflect what they actually listened to), plenty of odd stuff going on (contortionists, bears, etc....)

• LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 14 weeks ago

Color me impressed!

• What's the more important point to take away from   14 years 14 weeks ago

Hi, Jim,

One thing they sort of gloss over in that article is the fact that most of those movies are NOT going to be in wide release. In fact between today, Monday, November 20th, and the end of the year there are only 14 movies scheduled for wide release.

Those are:

102 Dalmatians, Unbreakable, Dungeons & Dragons, Proof of Life, Vertical Limit, Dude, Where's My Car?, The Emperor's New Groove, What Women Want, 13 Days, Cast Away, Family Man, Miss Congeniality, Dracula 2000 and All The Pretty Horses.

Unless you live in LA or NYC everything else will probably have to wait until next year when a print creeps to your local arthouse theater.

By the way, Crouching Tiger is supposed to be incredible. I've been looking forward to it since last year's Cannes Film Festival.

• "most morose" albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

As far as gloomy albums go, Marillion's Misplaced Childhood and Joy Division's Closer work for me--along with The Cure's Disintegration and Pink Floyd's The Wall from your list.

• LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 14 weeks ago

i believe that #19 is Who Will Buy? from Oliver!

and to taryn's earlier declaration of war . . . it is nice to see someone dreaming in such a way!!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more

• top 10 directors ever   14 years 14 weeks ago

Obviously, you forgot the visionary who directed Liquid Sky.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 15 weeks ago

I have to jump in for a minute of the Life is Beatiful thread. I really enjoyed the movie, and I did not feel that it was a mockery of the holocaust (I am sort of a holocaust movie aficianado) I felt that the humor only deepened our understanding of the tragedy. The thing that I felt was very strange and troublesome about the movie was the way the father decieved his son. It seems to me very cruel, because I would think that it would be obvious, even to an eight year old, that this was not a game-- that people were starving and dying. I know this was necessary for the movie, and all in all I applaud Life is Beautiful. I do feel, however, that in general, we don't give children enough credit for how they will respond to horrific circumstances, and do them more damage by trying to deceive them into believing that everything is alright, when it apparant is all wrong.

• actresses-the best   14 years 15 weeks ago

Just a minute on my soap box--I always think of the good female actors as"female actors" and the ones like Pamala Anderson Lee as "actresses" In the theare world anyway, both male and female call themselves actors.

Anyhoo-- glad to see the great Kate (Hepburn) made your list-- my favorite of all time. And I have to agree with lbangs re: Bette Davis for great old school acting ability.

• LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 15 weeks ago

#14 is "I've got Life" From HAIR

• top 10 directors ever   14 years 15 weeks ago

I considered Bergman,Truffuat,Fellini and De Sica.
    I found these directors to be close but no cigar,although I love their work!!

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 15 weeks ago

Jen, cheerleader movies aren't a big priority with me, not since DEBBIE DOES DALLAS. Nor beauty pageant movies, but I may catch DROP DEAD GORGEOUS one of these days, since Miss Dazzling Smile, a.ka. Denise Richards, is in it.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 15 weeks ago

Jim, I didn't mind M2M. It was fairly realistic (well, realistic compared with most sf movies) and that's a big plus in my book. Haven't seen RP yet, but looking forward. Was RP based on the book by Robert Heinlein (author of STARSHIP TROOPERS)? To answer my own question: apparently not, I just checked with IMDb. Gaaaa!!! Val Kilmer's in it. Oh well. Maybe he'll say "I'll be your huckleberry."

• top 10 directors ever   14 years 15 weeks ago

I'm curious... Did you consider Bergman when you constructed your list?

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 15 weeks ago

I completely understand why one might feel that Life is Beautiful is a mockery, but as somebody who was not directly affected by the holocaust, may I suggest that Life is Beautiful and Garden of the Fitzi-Continis work where most holocaust films fail for one important reason.

While most films focus solely on the massive amount of death the Nazis created, both of the films I mentioned above also focus on the lives of those destroyed. They show the magical, romantic, and frustrated existence of the victims well before the holocaust began, and by giving us an idea of the people affected, they also give us a greater feeling for what wonderful life was destroyed by the death camps and the slayings.

Life is beautiful, and by giving us a portrait of a vivid individual drug into the holocaust, Roberto rams home the truly tragic nature of the horrible events of World War II.

Many feel that Roberto's film has too much comedy too close to the horrid events of history. I admit it is a risky move. I do believe, however, that for every friend I have who finds the entire effort tasteless, I know at least two friends who cried in sorrow by the time the film was over. I bawled in my seat for ten minutes straight after the credits rolled, and I still feel pain every time I think about the film.

Perhaps these two films are more aimed at those of us who did not have relatives involved. We have no loved ones associated with the tragedy, so they attempt to provide them for us.

As I said, I can understand not liking the film, but I would remind all that for many of us, the film did not mock the tragedy of the holocaust, but amplified it.

I'm glad you also liked Casino (a terribly under-rated film that time will hopefully critically elevate) and Being John Malkovich. I liked American Beauty, but I did prefer Malkovich, although I didn't really mean to imply that it was a sort of god to American's mortal form. Both are good; I simply meant that Malkovich was, in my opinion, better. Perhaps my language overstated my point...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Pi when you see it.

Thanks for the comments!

• LYRIC QUIZ # 885,678,000   14 years 15 weeks ago

Wow, in the same thread I find a formerly anonymous avid reader (welcome!) and a HUGE compliment (actually, both are compliments) . . . My goodness, I'm overwhelmed! Thanks!