• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   13 years 49 weeks ago

I fully confess that it is a fancy way of not having to choose between two movies. I though of some of my favorite movies, and then found genres for them. I just can't choose. I have been thinking, however, of doing a list and limiting it to broad, recognized genres, such as you see in the vidoe store
    drama
    comedy
    Action/Adventure
    Classics
    etc.

I think that that would be a real challenge.

PS. If the critera for modern in being made after 1970, then Braveheart has to be a "Modern War Film" although I though about that for a while. It is pretty silly.

• Remakes   13 years 49 weeks ago

The Fly - 1958 and 1986. Both good, but I would lean towards the newer version.

• Remakes   13 years 49 weeks ago

Village of the Damned -- 1960 and 1995. Haven't seen either, so can't really say which was better.

• Nobel Prize Winners for Literature   13 years 49 weeks ago

If you're into contemporary poetry, you could do worse than try some Seamus Heaney. He's fairly accessible: where I live, a collection of his poems is one of the books studied in high school English.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   13 years 49 weeks ago

I was thinking of the film noir genre for Big Sleep as well. Also, I like the genre of teen angst, and both choices are solid. I know Bertie mentioned this about my list as well, but I strongly believe that even though the people on this site respect some of the earlier movies, there is enough prejudice about not seeing movies solely dependent on what year a movie was made. There have been countless times where I have overheard people decline viewing a movie because it is "too old." In video stores, once a movie is removed from the new release wall, it hardly rents. Therefore, as long as the public differentiates, why can't we as well? On a different note, film technology and the studio systems have changed so maybe the cutoff should be the mid 50's with the advancement of technicolor and theater houses.

• Movies that are as good as or better than their literary source   13 years 49 weeks ago

That's Chuck Palahniuk who wrote Fight Club, and quite frankly, I'd have to disagree with you there. The movie was amazing, astounding, and brilliant, but the book was more so. And the book's ending was a lot better. I actually wondered why they remained so close to the book throughout the entire film and then drastically changed the ending. Odd. Another book that wasn't as good as the movie it was made into was How to Make an American Quilt by Whitney Otto.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 49 weeks ago

Clear and Present Danger?

• The Most Profane Songs of All Time   13 years 49 weeks ago

I've only ever heard it sung once, a decade or so ago. It was played on public-funded radio in my neck of the woods. I don't know if the recording is available, but to hear it sung, and to try to sing along without...er...tripping over your tongue...is a hilarious experience. When I read your list, the memory of it just appeared...don't know why. So I entered the title into Dogpile, and happily found the lyrics.

• Devastating Movies About The End Of The World   13 years 49 weeks ago

I don't know if you saw the movie, "Night of the Comet." It has a post-apocalyptic theme where the movie begins the night before, and the next day almost everybody except a few people have vaporized into dust. Despite the heavy summary, the movie is relatively light since 2 of the main characters are valley girls trying to cope with their current situation.

• Devastating Movies About The End Of The World   13 years 49 weeks ago

I do believe I've heard of this one, but haven't got around to seeing it yet. Before I became a Listologist I would choose my rental videos on impulse, mainly, and this one must have one of those labels that doesn't attract my attention, because I'm sure I would have picked it up if I'd noticed the title. Anyway, I'll put it on my 'to see' list - sounds like fun.

• Nasty torture scenes that even affect the strong at heart ( under construction)   13 years 49 weeks ago

i, for one, thank you for making this list! (i'll now consider adding the ones that don't already appear to my Avoidance list...)

• The best of the series...   13 years 49 weeks ago

I agree with a lot of your choices (especially Elm Street 3-the scene where Freddie uses the kids own skin for puppet strings will remain imbedded in my mind forever), but I'm going to have to put in my plug for Return of the Jedi as the best Star Wars movie.

Most people totally dismiss Jedi because of the Ewoks. I agree that they were pretty darn stupid, but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. The Jabba desert execution sequence is one of the most exciting in any of the four movies. I also think Jedi had the best lightsaber sequences of the original three. I have always thought that Empire had some really slow parts which detract from my overall enjoyment of the movie.

My final argument: Leia in a bikini vs. Luke in a diaper -- no contest!

• "this song is about me and him" songs   13 years 49 weeks ago

Wow. I love all of those songs. And to think I thought I was the only one out there....

• Movies That Are On The "100 Years, 200 Stinkers" List But That I Enjoyed   13 years 49 weeks ago

I've found that people either love Spaceballs or hate it. I don't really understand how people could hate it (it still cracks me up even though it's on TV every few weeks), but we all know that peoples' tastes vary widely.

I was disappointed with Men in Tights. Not one of Mel's better efforts, IMHO. I agree that Young Frankenstein is a masterpiece.

• best foreign language films i've seen   13 years 49 weeks ago

thanks for the suggestions. some of them have been on my mental need-to-see list for quite a while, but your recommendation will bump them up. (the main problem is that my tv's tube is maladjusted, cutting off any kind of text at the bottom of the screen--so until i get a new one or become fluent in other languages, i have to view foreign films elsewhere... sad, i know.)

• Since The Listology is so highly cross-referenced   13 years 49 weeks ago

jim, i noticed that if i try to link to one of my own listology lists, i have to open a new window and log out because otherwise the URL is the editable-by-author kind. it's not that big of a deal, but is there an easier way?

Although the movie version of The Postman strayed significantly from the book, I thought it had enough redeeming qualities to make it enjoyable. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction and always like to see how the world is portrayed after civilization's destruction. Having said this, I still refuse to Waterworld.

• Movies that I have yet to see and must rent this summer (Under Construction)   13 years 49 weeks ago

Interesting concept. I'm not sure if I agree with you about the no nibbles part though. I am planning on having a whole Kubrick marathon at my home this summer, so I'll watch Dr. Strangelove at the beginning. I have heard many great things about it. Thanks for the comment.

• The Most Profane Songs of All Time   13 years 49 weeks ago

No I haven't, but I just read the lyrics, and the song seems pretty interesting. Where did you first hear/see the song?

The very first of these you should see is DR STRANGELOVE.

The trick to sitting through 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY is to watch it while you are slightly hungry. It's all about meals. There are seven meals in the movie and each one marks a major stage in the story's development. And, no, you can't have nibbles while watching.

• Remakes   13 years 49 weeks ago

Here are some others: "Invasion of the Boby Snatchers" 1956, 1979, and "Body Snatchers" 1994. "The Vanishing"- foreign 1988, American 1993. "La Femme Nikita" and "Point of No Return." "Diabolique" 1955 (awesome) and "Diabolique" 1996 (yuk). "Sabrina" 1954 and 1995. "These Three" 1936 and "The Children's Hour" 1961. Capra's "Lady For a Day" and "Pocketful of Miracles." "His Girl Friday" and "The Front Page." Shirley Temple's "A Little Princess" and Alfonso Cuaron's "A Little Princess." Errol Flynn's "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and Costner's "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves." "Parent Trap" 1961 and 1998. That's enough for now.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   13 years 49 weeks ago

I would like to tally a third vote for Xanadu. I agree with Uncroger and Jen; Gene Kelly, Olivia Newton-John, and ELO make a triumphant trio. Sure the movie is cheesy, but it is so much fun!

• The Most Profane Songs of All Time   13 years 49 weeks ago
  • Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   13 years 49 weeks ago

I agree with Jim completely on Toy Story. I also think it has a lot to offer; granted the toys are boy toys, the owner is a boy. Vicious Sid is highly sadistic, therefore the name Sid. I really believe the film captured what a toy's concerns would be: wanting to be played with and bonding with the community (other toys). The voices of the actors: Hanks, Allen, John Ratzenberg, Don Rickles. Mr. Potato Head, Speak and Spell, Slinky (dog), Etch a Sketch, Barrel of Monkeys, pull strings all represent major toy nostalgia. The great lines: "ages 3 and up", "cannibal toys", "the claw", "laser envy", Dinosaur throwing up, there's definitely many more. The great sequences: plastic soldier mission, revenge on Sid, the room changing from representing Woody to Buzz, the opening showing how Andy plays with them, and again, countless more. The creators of this film obviously put a lot of thought, energy, and creativity, in making possibly the best all around animated Disney; I really like Beauty & the Beast as well.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   13 years 49 weeks ago

Welcome to the FbG Club. I like many of the movies on your list, but, to be honest, I consider the classic/modern distinction to be merely a fancy way of taking two bites of the cherry - if you're going to take two bites, just take 'em. (And don't you see how odd it seems to call BRAVHEART a 'Modern War Movie'?)

On the positive side: thanks for reminding me of NOISES OFF! - I'm going to put it on my own list in the genre of Comedy, Farce.

I put THE AFRICAN QUEEN in Adventure, Romantic. And I would put THE BIG SLEEP in Detective, Film-Noir.

Looking forward to the rest of your choices.