• Surprisingly Thought-provoking Movies   14 years 15 weeks ago

I like the idea behind this list - that you can still find intelligent films when in the midst of lots of Hollywood garbage.

Life was a very pleasant surprise. With Murphy and Lawrence in the spotlight I was expecting a showcase of their comedy, and found instead a "triumph of the human spirit" movie. Tragic yet uplifting. The characters these two actors created were compelling and sympathetic.

The Truman Show was more than movie about a guy who's life is on TV 24/7, or about the phenomenon of the public's facsination with him (although it's about those things too). It questions what makes us individuals. How much does personal identity depend on circumstance and upbringing? And it also brings up (more obviously) the impossibility of containing and controlling a human being. I thought this movie was very delicately handled and Carrey's acting was restrained enough to make a well-developed character with depth.

I don't know if I missed something in Three Kings, but I was not impressed with this movie very much. Perhaps I've read too much literature dealing with this issue, but the whole thing about the negligence of a country against its own soldiers has been done (read The Wars by Timothy Findley). I was also unimpressed with the movie as an artful construction. I watched it on DVD, and so had the opportunity of seeing deleted scenes and the director's commentary, etc. It seems to me that the director did not have a clear sense of the movie as a whole. He tried to put together too many elements, too many scenes he had worked out in his head, and when faced with time constraints, was forced to cut certain scenes. The only reason for their deletion was that there was no time - not because the scene detracted from or did not contribute to the overall form and meaning of the work. But like I say, perhaps I've missed something.

I enjoyed your comments about all the other movies...particularly Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I've watched this movie countless times, and it never really occurred to me to look more closely at Cameron Frye. I love to see something old with a fresh perspective - thank you.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 15 weeks ago

I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen any of those films. I've been meaning to, and they even had a festival at the Ridge here in Vancouver where they played all three, and I still didn't manage to get out and see them. What kind of negligent movie-goer am I?!?! ;) They will promptly be added to my "to see" list. Thanks for the input.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

Here are some that I am suprised did not make your list:

Blade Runner - Although we're fast approaching the dating of this one, and Los Angeles doesn't look a thing like the movie, it is one of the most imaginatively designed futures ever filmed.

Legend - Another beautiful Riddly Scott film that just takes the cake for most imaginative 'fantasy' world.

A Clockwork Orange - Unusually subtle picture of the future. And did anyone around in 1972 (when this film sparked contraversy for it's violence) ever expect that we would see the middle-class violence it predicted.

A Nightmare Before Christmas - another Tim Burton classic, this time in claymation, that allows his morbid humour come to full light.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 15 weeks ago

Regarding The Patriot (which I have not seen), I just read an interesting article over at Salon which states that its butchery of history is actually quite severe.

• One Hour of Pink Floyd Vol I   14 years 15 weeks ago

Now,this is really good. I am glad that someone likes early days of Pink Floyd.What do you think about Atom heart mother,Saucerful of secrets,One of these days?Echoes is really the best song of all time!

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 15 weeks ago

I'm going to have to re-watch Blade Runner and I'm not sure if I've ever seen Barbarella. I seem to remember the former as being pretty dark, so I'm not sure if it fits this list really.

The President's Analyst didn't really strike me as being SF, more of a Spy+Spoof. The Prisoner (which I thought was totally cool) wasn't really SF either, so much. (And I had heard a rumour that Mel Gibson was going to star in a movie version -- I wonder what happened to that?)

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 15 weeks ago

Rather interesting, but as far as the number of replicants go, Ridley seems to be changing his story quite a bit. He used to claim that Deckard was supposed to hunt down the number of replicants mentioned at the start of the film, but length and budget interfered, and one of the replicant roles were chopped. They chose not to reshoot the original scene to make the numbers line up correctly.

Mr. Scott seems to be taking lessons from Mr. Dylan and Mr. Tarrantino on changing one's story with time.

But the unicorn scene is still perhaps some sort of sign. I personally prefer the story more if Deckard isn't a replicant, and I will blissfully delude myself to increase my joy watching Blade Runner, one of my favorite films.

Oh, and I like the original more than the director's cut. Nyah, nyah, nyah.

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 15 weeks ago

Another one to add to the rental list... Now we just have to get heat in the living room and find some time... Thanks!

• my fav. pink floyd songs (in no particular order)   14 years 15 weeks ago

Really good choice.What do you say about: Time, Careful with that axe Eugene,Echoes etc.

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 15 weeks ago

I'm not into gore-for-gore's sake either, or scary movies, for that matter. (And I'm pissed that of all of Heinlein's novels, the only two that get made into movies are his war (Starship Troopers) and horror (Puppet Masters) novels.)

I'm going to have to check out Gattaca and Until the End of the World as well.

• 12 PINK FLOYD songs   14 years 15 weeks ago

Trebao bi poslušati i ostale njihove albume.Zašto ne voliš rane radove?

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 15 weeks ago

Y'know, based on comments on the Listology, I went ahead and bought it on DVD. Unfortunately, the DVD drive in my laptop doesn't like it (it works fine on my brother-in-law's machine.) So I haven't seen it yet. Now I just need to find time to watch it on his machine, or get around to putting my entertainment computer together in the living room. But, I suspect it qualifies...

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 15 weeks ago

Surely the Three Colours films, Blue, White, and Red, could qualify then...

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 15 weeks ago

Yes, I would think that costume colour choices qualify for this list. Any conscious colour choice on the part of the director is an effort to contribute to the film as an art form, I think.

I have not seen Heathers, though I've heard some good things about it. It will go on my list of things to watch.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 15 weeks ago

The movie Heathers also has an interesting use of colour, in the costuming-- Each of the title "Heathers" always wears a signature colour, which matches their croquet mallets and rooms. I don't know if this is what you mean, but costume color choices are often very interesting and say a lot about the characters and relationships between them.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 15 weeks ago

One thing I've always admired about the Star Wars universe is that, no matter what the plot discrepancy or general nonsensical thing, the fans themselves always find a way to explain it. A notable example is the "I made the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs" thing, which I'll forego explaining unless someone is actually interested.

In this case, though, it's fairly simple- C-3PO's a droid, so he would have had his memory wiped sometime between episodes III and IV, most likely when Anakin turned to the dark side and the droids left his possession. Hence, no "hey, jabba!" or "ooh, i was created here!" or "Skywalker? I had a master named Skywalker once."

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 15 weeks ago

Yea, I have 2 collections _Starlight_ and _The Dark Side of the Earth_ and most of the stories in those get pretty good ratings from my neighbors over at Alexlit. But I haven't read any shorts from Bester yet. So little time, so many books...

I just started _The Sparrow_ by Mary Doria Russell have you guys read it yet?

• Stole the Show   14 years 15 weeks ago

I have, and you're right, they did.

• CC00041: Joni Mitchell   14 years 15 weeks ago

I was just reading your comments on the Simon and Garfunkel list, and now I understand why the live album, which contains a lot of songs I love, can be rated low. I really doesn't hang together as an album.

One of the things I have always admired about Joni Mitchell is the way she genuinely changes as she gets older, but keeps on prodcuing. Her sound has changed on the later albums not only because her voice has aged, but because she, and the things she is interested in saying, have changed. It seems as though the critics still like the sort of middle period of Joni Mitchell the best (as do I), but I still admire lower rated albums like Taming the Tiger, just because she still keeps on producing. I also think that both Ladies of the Canyon and For the Roses are as good as Court and Spark and Blue, although the latter two contain the most popular songs.

I guess that's all for now-- but I am happy you are posting people i know (like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Simon and Garfunkal) I can't comment at all on the newer groups, because although I may know them and like a few songs, I don't know or follow all of their albums.

• CC00041: Joni Mitchell   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thank you. This pretty much agrees with how I feel about them, however I love the live album, Miles of Aisles.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 15 weeks ago

I believe the principle applies to sit-coms. I learned it in the theatre-- basically there tend to be thr jokes in a series, or three funny lines around the same premis, with the third one being the funniest, or the "topper," that makes you laugh the most hysterically or is the most unexpected. I of course can't think of an example.

About philosophy-- I had always tended to think of it mostly in terms of "practical philosophy" or what you are calling "Applied Philosophy." I find the rational argument part of philosophy very difficult. I start out rationally arguing, and then get very emotional. I don't know if its being female, or being a 'creative type" or just not being grown-up enough. My current search is for a philosophy that suits me!, although I find it all very interesting.

BTW- the division into three makes sense to me, although I think humans naturally divide into twos so we can easily compare and contrast.

• Stole the Show   14 years 15 weeks ago

If you've seen Me, Myself and Irene:

Charlie's three kids totally stole the film. Every single scene they were in cracked me up, from arguing about physics to learning to fly the chopper.

• CC00046: Michael Jackson   14 years 15 weeks ago

Both. The Best of Michael Jackson, while released in 1981, was a Motown cash-in put out to benefit from Jackson's success with Off the Wall, an album released after Michael switched labels to Epic. It only covers Jackson's 1971 - 1975 material, of which Ben is the highest ranking album on this list. It contains nothing from Off the Wall, Thriller, or any later albums. One of the two discs of History is a best-of covering the later, Epic years, and I suspect it would have earned a 10 if it was not saddled with another disc of new material that didn't tend to do much for most critics. Too bad that compilation disc wasn't released separately, as Jackson has no good Greatest Hits collection for his best years.

• CC00046: Michael Jackson   14 years 15 weeks ago

Curious that The Best of Michael Jackson is so low on the list. Misnamed, or an early 'best of'?

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 15 weeks ago

I posted Joni Mitchell this morning. While the ratings are not my opinions, I would still love to hear your reactions to them.