• Films: Watched in 2001   14 years 17 weeks ago

Chicken Run is actually much better than most of the films up for awards.

I knew Requiem was probably too dark for the academy (henceforth demoted to lowercase). The shocker for me is that the film was overlooked for the Editing Oscar! C'mon, it has aroud 4 times the edits that most films have, and it was a powerhouse. Requiem should have won that Oscar by default, and yet it is not even nominated, while the sloppy editing of Gladiator is! Nominations are largely (not always) bought with sheetbombing advertising, and that's too bad.

• Films: Watched in 2001   14 years 17 weeks ago

Oh, Requiem is definitely in my top tier for 2000.
    I gave it 9 stars on IMDB. Of what I've seen from 2000 my 9 star movies are...

Almost Famous (2000)
    Before Night Falls (2000)
    Requiem for a Dream (2000)
    Traffic (2000)
    Wo hu zang long (2000)
    You Can Count on Me (2000)

I am so pissed at the Academy right now. It's not so much that the films themselves won't win anything but getting Oscar notariety is a chance for a film to get noticed. Since they're not getting noticed these films might not get nearly the audience they deserve.

Like Gladiator and Erin Brockovich needed any more notice. Chocolat is another which I don't think is one of the 5 best films of the year. Hell I'd put Chicken Run up there before I'd out Chocolat.

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 17 weeks ago

I can't remember the director of Grey Owl, but I do remember that it is a good British director with quite a history who was very upset that the film could not get distributed in America. You'd think if I could remember that, I could remember which director it was, but sadly, my brain doesn't always work like that.

I'd guess Boorman, only I'm pretty sure it ain't him...

• Films With Incredible Casts   14 years 17 weeks ago

That second Arkin was supposed to be Kevin Spacey. Sorry; my mind, sadly, does not think nearly as fast as my finger can type!

• Films With Incredible Casts   14 years 17 weeks ago

I'm really surprised not to find Glengarry Glen Ross on here - Pacino, Lemmon, Harris, Arkin, Pryce, and Arkin, not to mention Alec Baldwin's best scene ever.

• Films: Watched in 2001   14 years 17 weeks ago

So, how would Requiem for a Dream fare against the other 2000 films, in your book? I think it is a visionary, powerful, and frankly, brilliant film that will be acknowledged one day as a masterpiece on par with Taxi Driver and other difficult films. The 2000s have their first masterpiece. Of course, that's just my opinion...

• The Best Kubrick Films   14 years 17 weeks ago

I agree about his films being almost interchangeable because of the sheer consistency; I neglected The Killing and Paths of Glory because I haven't been able to see them yet. I'm sure they could very well displace some of the other films here.

Johnny Waco

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 17 weeks ago

I'm not sure on all of these...

84 - Lubitsch (who else could have directed this?)
    85 - Flaherty
    86 - Griffith
    87 - Meles (sic)
    88 - Porter
    89 - Chaplin
    90 - Vigo
    91 - Coctau
    92 - Kurosawa ?
    93 - Roeg
    94 - Edwards
    95 - Antonioni

Did I mention I LOVE silent films? Early French films too...

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 17 weeks ago

Oh, Alan Smithee was directed, of course, by Alan Smithee, I believe...

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 17 weeks ago

ok bangsy, its time to get real nasty.

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 17 weeks ago

Well, how did I miss this page?

A good number of the ones I know have already been tagged... Sniff..

What Planet - Mike Nichols
    Gloria - Lumet (sadly)
    Mirror Has 2 - Streisand (surprised this lasted so long...)

That's all, for now.

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 17 weeks ago

ok, i'd say there's at least another 5 or 6 on this list which you guys should get without my dropping any hints. most likely I'll post another by that same director as my hint.

• the 5 greatest novels of all time   14 years 17 weeks ago

You should turn this into a poll

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 17 weeks ago

You are correct, Sir!

• The Best Kubrick Films   14 years 17 weeks ago

I personally think that Full Metal Jacket is overrated. First half was great but after that it definitely dropped off. I really enjoyed all the others, but unfortunately I haven't yet seen Spartacus which isn't a pure Kubrick project. My favorite Kubrick's would be: 1)Clockwork Orange 2)The Shining 3)Eyes Wide Shut 4)The Killing 5)2001 Space Odyssey 6)Paths of Glory 7)Dr Strangeglove. Of course these could all easily be interchanged since they are all wonderful movies.

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   14 years 17 weeks ago

Seven words: Quantum Leap and Buffy the Vampire Slayer!!!

Johnny Waco

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   14 years 17 weeks ago

Inspector Gadget

• the 5 greatest novels of all time   14 years 17 weeks ago

I'd have to include Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, Light in August by Faulkner, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky

Johnny Waco

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   14 years 17 weeks ago

A few you forgot (and probably for the best): Brady Bunch Movie, Beverly Hillbillies, Car 54(?), Addams Family, Muensters, Muppet Movie...

Does Galaxy Quest count?

Which Dragnet?

• Ok I tried to do 5 good Dan Aykroyd films   14 years 17 weeks ago

Even if you don't like Aykroyd, the Blues Brothers movies are notable in their homage to the Blues and the greats of that musical genre. Personally, I think the Blues Brothers movies were fantastic, and that Aykroyd did a great job. Trading Places, and Sneakers were fantastic as well. Sorry.

• The Best Coppola Films   14 years 17 weeks ago

What about The Outsiders or Rumblefish. Very good films. Solid.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 17 weeks ago

You're correct, of course, not only with your guess, but also with your assessment of Mr. Cusack's under-rated talents. One of the biggest reasons for this is that he obviously loves starring opposite strong female actors, and they always seem to garner all the acclaim for the most of the best films he stars in. This goes for The Grifters (Anjelica Huston (Oscar nom.) and Annette Bening), Bullets Over Broadway (Dianne Wiest (Oscar win) and Jennifer Tilly (Oscar nom, I believe)), and Being John Malkovich (Catherine Keener (Oscar nom.)). It seems that if you'd like a Best Supporting Actress nomination (or win), your best bet is to star opposite John Cusack!

L. Bangs (Say Anything fan)

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 17 weeks ago

Thats right sebreg. good one homes.

• 0001: My Favorite Television Programs   14 years 17 weeks ago

My friend that is a lot of tv watching

• Director Game   14 years 17 weeks ago