• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 10 weeks ago

#54 is...Illusions-The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah. One of my all-time favorite books by Richard Bach. Funny how books come into your life at the time when they are supposed to and when they are most meaningful...

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

You're right, he was a very pleasant surprise in everything I've seen him in. He was also in Roswell. Very worthy of this list.

• 5 Movies aren't as good now that I'm an adult   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hey, dembonez! Although you may not agree, I would have to add Ski School, Summer School, Pretty in Pink (and Sweet Sixteen, et al), and, though you and others may think this sacrilege, Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I must say, I saw Spaceballs later in life, and found it mildly amusing, so I'm not in a position to compare to the zealousness of youth.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

Perhaps I should clarify about DeVito. He has played leading roles in the past (and could be considered one of the leads in The Big Kahuna), but lately he has been much more of a producer, and has been taking secondary roles in his movies. Calling him a supporting actor is probably not entirely accurate, I agree, but neither would I consider him to be a heavyweight that carries a movie. I'm particularly thinking of him in roles like the cop in Drowning Mona, and in Hoffa (I think I'm thinking of the right movie...). I don't get the impression, though, that he sees himself as a leading man. I think he picks his roles carefully, regardless of the size of the part.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'm not certain about SPR and TTRL - that they are a genuine copycat pair, or that SPR is the better of the two. What do you guys think?

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

Oh..I so agree...I knew I was forgetting one I really liked. Leo truly was wonderful in this film. Yep, I do believe I'll add it to my list. :0

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

Boy, you're good...I forgot about that one!

• CC00017: Ringo Starr   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hearty congratulations on completing your Beatles Saga - you've done the old geezers proud, and their fans.

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends."
    He's no great singer, and was never a great drummer, but somehow he unquestionably carries the Beatles charisma. If anyone ever lucked out in life, Ringo did. Unfair comment?

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yup, sound is working. Although I don't recall having a sound problem - were you perhaps thinking of lbangs?

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

My thoughts exactly, Jim.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 10 weeks ago

Correct!

• CC00018: U2   14 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments. I pretty much agree with most of this list. I must admit to not liking Unforgettable Fire nearly as much as most do (to these ears, the album is a formless atmospheric exercise occasionally broken by a brilliant song or two (Pride, for example)). I also still enjoy Rattle and Hum, but usually only after some 'Skip' button editing. Heartland in particular is an over-looked gem and one of my favorite U2 songs.

Zooropa was the most disagreed upon album. Some critics felt U2 valiantly pushed further into the direction they headed for in Achtung, while others felt they got in over their heads. I like the album, but I wouldn't claim it as one of U2's greatest.

My personal favorite is easily Achtung Baby, followed by Joshua and War.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

How 'bout My Left Foot?

• Favorite John Hiatt Songs   14 years 10 weeks ago

Great list! I must confess that I am also always suckered in by the Aw-Shucks of Real Fine Love. The song should reek of false modesty, but Hiatt pulls it off with a vocal that inspires trust, and I love the song.

I met an angel or two before, but I never asked one to be my wife.

• 5 Movies aren't as good now that I'm an adult   14 years 10 weeks ago

History of the World Part one. I laughed my ass off at this movie when i was a kid. I saw it again a few years ago, and while i did laugh a few times, it wasn't near as funny as i remembered.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

Dwight Yoakam - He had some small roles in a few movies, like red rock west (i think that's the name) and he was excellent in Sling Blade.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'm not sure Danny DeVito would appreciate being call a supporting actor. One gets the impression that he sees himself as a leading man.

How 'bout Slim Pickens, pardner? YEEEEHAAA!

• 5 movies I remember as scary   14 years 10 weeks ago

Probably my scariest movie has been the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." To this day, I find it haunting.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

Geez! I was even in the stage version...Excellent addition, which also brings up "Whose Life is it Anyway?", which I thought was an underrated performance by Richard Dreyfuss.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

You've forgotten one of the greats: THE ELEPHANT MAN. If MASK qualifies, surely T.E.M. does.

• CC00018: U2   14 years 10 weeks ago

I would be in absolute agreement that The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are excellent starting places for U2, and War is certainly a powerful release. The lyrics contained in these 3 are U2 at their politically and socially clearest. I would confess that I have not been a big fan of their techno albums (Pop, Zooropa). Wide Awake, Under and October are basic re-hashes of earlier work, and Boy and Unforgettable Fire seemed to be transitional pieces...I continue having Unforgettable Fire on my cd changer a lot. I love Rattle & Hum, but upon further consideration can acknowledge that as an emotional not critical choice. :0

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 10 weeks ago

I must confess my absolute favorite is "Velveteen Rabbit." I have several versions of it in my collection, and find it be so simple yet touching. It seems as if it is a book that stays with you, as I have several adult friends who identify it as one of their faves.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

Awesome! How could I forget Children of a Lesser God? Consider it and "Mask" added. I thought Eric Stoltz was great in that one, too...and Cher as the mother, what a powerful and breakthrough performance!

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hey lester, I can't believe that Diamond Dogs is nowhere to be found on this list; "Chant of the ever-circling skeletal family" is awesome. Go down to Weber's Root Beer Stand and rethink this one. P.S. Made any mix tapes lately?

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 10 weeks ago

An interesting issue is raised here. A person's perception of a movie is affected by the hype surrounding it. So, the two ways to enjoy a movie that is over-hyped or over-rated, is to see it opening night, without having seen many (or any) ads, or to wait until enough people complain about it that you expect the worst. I saw Titanic opening night, having avoided the ads like the plague. I was very impressed, but am completely tired of it now because of all the talk surrounding it. I will be happy if I never hear the title again. However, for 3 hours I was entertained and unmuddied by public opinion.