• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

My thoughts exactly, Jim.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 9 weeks ago

Correct!

• CC00018: U2   14 years 9 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments. I pretty much agree with most of this list. I must admit to not liking Unforgettable Fire nearly as much as most do (to these ears, the album is a formless atmospheric exercise occasionally broken by a brilliant song or two (Pride, for example)). I also still enjoy Rattle and Hum, but usually only after some 'Skip' button editing. Heartland in particular is an over-looked gem and one of my favorite U2 songs.

Zooropa was the most disagreed upon album. Some critics felt U2 valiantly pushed further into the direction they headed for in Achtung, while others felt they got in over their heads. I like the album, but I wouldn't claim it as one of U2's greatest.

My personal favorite is easily Achtung Baby, followed by Joshua and War.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

How 'bout My Left Foot?

• Favorite John Hiatt Songs   14 years 9 weeks ago

Great list! I must confess that I am also always suckered in by the Aw-Shucks of Real Fine Love. The song should reek of false modesty, but Hiatt pulls it off with a vocal that inspires trust, and I love the song.

I met an angel or two before, but I never asked one to be my wife.

• 5 Movies aren't as good now that I'm an adult   14 years 9 weeks ago

History of the World Part one. I laughed my ass off at this movie when i was a kid. I saw it again a few years ago, and while i did laugh a few times, it wasn't near as funny as i remembered.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

Dwight Yoakam - He had some small roles in a few movies, like red rock west (i think that's the name) and he was excellent in Sling Blade.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

I'm not sure Danny DeVito would appreciate being call a supporting actor. One gets the impression that he sees himself as a leading man.

How 'bout Slim Pickens, pardner? YEEEEHAAA!

• 5 movies I remember as scary   14 years 9 weeks ago

Probably my scariest movie has been the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." To this day, I find it haunting.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

Geez! I was even in the stage version...Excellent addition, which also brings up "Whose Life is it Anyway?", which I thought was an underrated performance by Richard Dreyfuss.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

You've forgotten one of the greats: THE ELEPHANT MAN. If MASK qualifies, surely T.E.M. does.

• CC00018: U2   14 years 9 weeks ago

I would be in absolute agreement that The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are excellent starting places for U2, and War is certainly a powerful release. The lyrics contained in these 3 are U2 at their politically and socially clearest. I would confess that I have not been a big fan of their techno albums (Pop, Zooropa). Wide Awake, Under and October are basic re-hashes of earlier work, and Boy and Unforgettable Fire seemed to be transitional pieces...I continue having Unforgettable Fire on my cd changer a lot. I love Rattle & Hum, but upon further consideration can acknowledge that as an emotional not critical choice. :0

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 9 weeks ago

I must confess my absolute favorite is "Velveteen Rabbit." I have several versions of it in my collection, and find it be so simple yet touching. It seems as if it is a book that stays with you, as I have several adult friends who identify it as one of their faves.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

Awesome! How could I forget Children of a Lesser God? Consider it and "Mask" added. I thought Eric Stoltz was great in that one, too...and Cher as the mother, what a powerful and breakthrough performance!

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Hey lester, I can't believe that Diamond Dogs is nowhere to be found on this list; "Chant of the ever-circling skeletal family" is awesome. Go down to Weber's Root Beer Stand and rethink this one. P.S. Made any mix tapes lately?

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   14 years 9 weeks ago

An interesting issue is raised here. A person's perception of a movie is affected by the hype surrounding it. So, the two ways to enjoy a movie that is over-hyped or over-rated, is to see it opening night, without having seen many (or any) ads, or to wait until enough people complain about it that you expect the worst. I saw Titanic opening night, having avoided the ads like the plague. I was very impressed, but am completely tired of it now because of all the talk surrounding it. I will be happy if I never hear the title again. However, for 3 hours I was entertained and unmuddied by public opinion.

• Favorite Female Singers   14 years 9 weeks ago

Have you heard of a R&B / Soul singer named Aretha Franklin? She's pretty good...

;)

I have to throw in a vote for Billie Holiday as well.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

Rip Torn. He is always a welcome surprise in a movie, as he rarely receives a credit in the trailers for a movie.
    He just has that rough pirate thing going on, (made perfect in Summer Rental)which I think we all enjoy from our childhood.

• Favorite Female Singers   14 years 9 weeks ago

have you heard sarah slean at all? at first i thought she was a little too much like tori, but now i like her *more* than i do tori--if you can believe that. check her out if you haven't already and/or let me know what your thoughts are.

• Favorite Male Singers   14 years 9 weeks ago

hey there. just thought i'd stop by and direct you to my new list. (i have a feeling you may be the only listology person who can help me develop it!)

• Favorite 20th Century Authors   14 years 9 weeks ago

Again, wow! I also am a bit of a Beuchner fan. Godric almost won the Pulitizer, and Wishful Thinking should be required reading for any person of faith. Raymond Carver's short stories are excellent, but I haven't warmed to Galway Kinell the way many have. I also like Hemingway, although I greatly prefer his short stories to his novels.

• My CD Collection includes   14 years 9 weeks ago

Wow! I most certainly didn't expect to see them pop up on this site, but I also enjoy Poor Old Lu's Sin CD. Too bad the band broke up before they could blossom further. I felt Eighth Wonder was a bit less focused than Sin, but my, Sin was impressive.

• CC00018: U2   14 years 9 weeks ago

I didn't count Passengers because Eno's contribution was obviously enough that I can not claim it to be a true U2 album. It's a U2 and Eno album. There is also a significantly less amount of criticism available on the Passengers' album than on the U2 proper albums. Spin-offs and solo projects are a tricky line to draw on these CCs, but that's where I decided to put it. Perhaps The Passengers will get their own entry at some point.

From my research, I gather the Passengers' album would have ranked between 6 and a 7, with a slight edge (no pun intended) to the 7. Most critics loved certain songs (especially Ms. Saravajo) but felt some of the ambient pieces were a bit too vague to be as effective as they should be. Overall, the reviews were positive but not glowing.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

Great idea for a list! Might I suggest, for a deaf theme, Children of a Lesser God. Marlee Matlin is simply amazing. She actually is deaf, though, so you can't really judge her performance on how convincingly she played the disability. Another is Mask, with Eric Stoltz (again) and Cher, both of whom nail their respective roles. This movie also has Laura Dern playing a blind girl, quite convincingly I thought. Of your list, I've only seen half (2,3,4). However, I will try to check out the others - am particularly looking forward to Hell Roller.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

and let's not forget What's Eating Gilbert Grape? it was the best role leo dicaprio ever played!