• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 18 weeks ago

Not that I recall. I might have heard part of it at some time on radio. The only recording I have of The 9th is by George Szell conducting The Cleveland Orchestra.

Do get a sound card. There are some wonderful Midis on the Net (and some atrocious ones).

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 18 weeks ago

Blue Velvet. Not only is the evil lurking under the middleclass neighborhoods of America, like "Lincoln", but it lurks beneath the main character. AND, is it really the masterpiece that some suggest?

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 18 weeks ago

I like it. Consider it added to the wish list. Also, enhanced searching capabilities are on my list. I plan on allowing cross-media searching, the ability to search just title, list, comments, discussions, or various combinations.

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 18 weeks ago

Not sure about degree-of-difficulty, but it certainly seems worth pursuing.

• 0015: So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic - Tier 1   14 years 18 weeks ago

I saw your note about the intentional dearth of 80s and 90s movies on this list, but you know what a recency freak I am. So how 'bout Pulp Fiction (94), Unforgiven (92), Platoon (86), Amadeus (84), The Big Chill (83), or Tootsie (82)?

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 18 weeks ago

How about "Hey, dawg....did you see the size of that chicken???"

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 18 weeks ago

There, my film list is now complete and posted (So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic). I'll tell you in advance, though, Jim - there aren't too many 80s and 90s films on the list. Foretold is forewarned!

I hope somebody enjoys it and benefits from it.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 18 weeks ago

I think some of the best SF is that in which the sciency part does take a back seat.

Then again I love Greg Egan's short stories, which are solely sciency for the most part.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 18 weeks ago

I love this list...anyone with a... diverse mind.. would enjoy such diversity!

kaliipso

• My Greatest Movies!   14 years 18 weeks ago

Yes....i enjoy most of Whoopi Goldberg's movies..and Geena Davis...as u said "Chalk and Cheese".

kaliipso

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 18 weeks ago

Well I haven't read tons of sci-fi but I have been reading it more lately. I really liked some of the scenes (especially the end) but on a whole it seemed kind of disjointed to me. I wasn't really sure what he was trying to say but I guess it was just that the message was so simple (the cycle of technology and then holocaust) that I was looking for more. So I think the problem is that it seems like an old idea, but considering that it was written almost 50 years ago that's ok. I just finished _The Sparrow_ and liked that much better even though the sci-fi in the story kind of took a back seat to the character development.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 18 weeks ago

I've seen a bunch of Nicholas Brothers footage at a small theater here. The guy who owns it has a bunch of old movies that he'll bring out and play from time to time. Actually last fall I had the privilege of seeing one of the Nicholas Brothers perform at a dance camp I was at! Definitely not quite the dancer he once was, but still impressive that he can dance at all at his age. (80s I think)

• My Greatest Movies!   14 years 18 weeks ago

You liked TELEPHONE? Whoopi Goldberg's TELEPHONE? So you're the one. But you liked THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT too? Chalk and cheese.

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 18 weeks ago

Got 'em both. :)

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 18 weeks ago

I wonder myself. Or how many can identify the baseball and glove in the "cooler" allegory. Actually, I always thought #17 was Billy W.'s best also. Throw in Harvey Lembeck and Neville Brand and you have a classic.

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 18 weeks ago

Cool. You should definitely check out his graphic novel, The Dark Knight Returns. A classic. And I'm not even a Batman fan.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 18 weeks ago

Whoops! The documentary is named, That's Dancing, and the fantastic brothers I mentioned are the Nicholas Brothers.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 18 weeks ago

Last weekend, I watched the documentary Let's Dance, which is full of wonderful scenes that surely merit consideration for this list. It is basically a compilation of dance scenes extracted from famous films, and any lover of dance would probably adore it.

Highlights included some B. Burkley numbers, a young Fred Astaire performing a wonderful number, a breath-taking duet between two brothers whose names I can't remember right now for the life in me, and so very nice ballet from Barishnakov [sic] . Oh, and a brief clip for the aforementioned Red Shoes.

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 18 weeks ago

i actually haven't read transmetropolitan yet. one of my friends told me to read it so it is on my list to read. i'm glad that you like my list, especially JTHM. i wasn't sure if it really fit in with the others, but i had to include 'nny. never know what might happen to me if i don't :)

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 18 weeks ago

he completely slipped my mind. this is what i get for making this list when all my possessions (including comix) are packed. i'll have to add him to the list. thanks.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 18 weeks ago

Bertie - Have you ever heard one of my favorite pieces, Beethoven's 9th conducted by Furtwangler and performed by the Berlin Orchestra during World War II? I highly recommend it!

L. Bangs (trying to contribute even if he doesn't have a sound card...)

• Since   14 years 18 weeks ago

If "The English Patient" is in recent memory, then I want to add that to the list of films that were better than their books. The movie version was more coherent and intelligible than the book--a miracle considering the amount of inner dialogue in the book! OK, the gorgeous cinematography helped a lot, as did the explicit ending of the movie. Agree or disagree??

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 18 weeks ago

By the way, I have decided to create a film list to compliment this one, and I am about halfway through it. It will probably be about twice as long as this list, but since films have existed at least twice as long as rock music has, I believe this is appropriate. Afterwards, depending on feedback, I might create a tier two for both lists. I've already be working up a short list for a rock music tier two.

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 18 weeks ago

The "no compilations on tier one or two" rule was a last minute one, and the rule has encouraged the list to be a bit bulb-shaped chronologically. Since this list is made up of albums, I decided to emphasize works that were created to be listened to as albums over compilations of singles. It helped pare this tier down to the essentials, and (IMHO) it offers a better introduction to the artists listed than most compilations afford.

You ask about the lack of 80s and 90s artist; I'm a bit more troubled by the lack of 50s and early 60s artists here. Notice no Elvis Presley, no Buddy Holly, no James Brown, and no Sam Cooke! Yes, much of this will be corrected when I get around to posting tier three. In fact, I am considering breaking the third tier into two parts - one for albums and one for compilations. Because of my rule, I believe that third tier will easily be the largest of the tiers, and that's fine. Once you have established an excellent foundation, filling in the cracks can be a long and fun process, and hopefully that third tier will reflect this.

As it is, I'm afraid that Michael Jackson's Thriller will have to represent the sounds of 80s radio pop on this list for now.

• in current rotation   14 years 18 weeks ago

How many versions of BSN does that make now? Yes, I love that song, and that first version of At the Foot of the Cross is easily the best album of its type around, IMHO.