• People I'd like to hear read Green Eggs and Ham   14 years 10 weeks ago

Barry White
    Bernadette Peters
    Kathleen Turner (who can read anything to me any time she wants to...)
    Leonard Nimoy (Gotta be worth a laugh...)

• People I'd like to hear read Green Eggs and Ham   14 years 11 weeks ago

Eazy E and Eddie Murphy

• The Ultimate Guide to Quentin Tarantino   14 years 11 weeks ago

From Dusk Till Dawn: **

I didn't include it here since I was concentrating on films QT directed. This film will be included with the Robert Rodriguez guide, whenever I get around to posting that!

FDTD seems to be two different films joined at the middle, almost as if Tarantino started the film and Rodriguez finished it. Neither part is terrible; they simply clash, IMHO.

• The Ultimate Guide to Quentin Tarantino   14 years 11 weeks ago

Where would you put "From Dusk to Dawn"? I found it pretty good, especially in the way I reacted to the different types of violence in the movie.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 11 weeks ago

I look forward to whatever you might do.

I agree that historical movies probably are nearly impossible, but I guess I'd just like to know if a movie is at least trying to be faithful to the original events, instead of distorting things so much like the movies you've listed here.

• finished in 2001   14 years 11 weeks ago

i enjoyed it very much actually, and it was a quick read, too. also, because the author is also a talented storyteller (not just a PhD) it wasn't nearly as dry as it might have been. if you have an interest in strange/meaningful coincidences, the concepts in this book will definitely stick with you.

• finished in 2001   14 years 11 weeks ago

What did you think about There are No Accidents? Worth a read? Intriguing? I'm curious.

• The Ultimate Guide to Quentin Tarantino   14 years 11 weeks ago

Oh, and sorry to force anybody to think about Four Rooms again. It got a *. They should give you an idea how bad my 1/2 * films are!

• The Ultimate Guide to Quentin Tarantino   14 years 11 weeks ago

Geez. It's not enough I have to rate 'em 1 to 5 stars; now I have to rank two 5-star films! ;)

I give a slight edge to Pulp Fiction over Reservoir Dogs. He aims higher with PF, and I think he pulls it off. RD, of course, is a great neo-heist film with shades of Treasure of the Sierra Madre and classic noir, but in the end, PF pleases me a bit more.

And you?

• The Ultimate Guide to Quentin Tarantino   14 years 11 weeks ago

Oof . . . Four Rooms . . . I had blocked that from my mind entirely. I'm cringing all over again.

Curious . . . Which did you prefer: Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction? Have we had this discussion already? How I yearn for the ability to search discussions.

• People I'd like to hear read Green Eggs and Ham   14 years 11 weeks ago

- Emo Philips

- Mr. T.

- Mae West

- Andre The Giant

- Abraham Lincoln

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I take it, though, that since you only mention one movie, that it is hard to find movies that accurately portray history? Would it be very difficult to construct the opposite list, or have many items in it? Would that be a futile effort?

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 11 weeks ago

whoa, now that would be tough! Now that you've thrown down the gauntlet, tho, I may have to try to construct one...

I think that almost all "historical" movies are doomed to failure, if for no other reason than the nature of history. Very few events or people from the past can have their lives cut into 90-minute characterizations, and if they did, they'd probably be rather dull to watch.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 11 weeks ago

Best Director of 2000: A Thread

God, I hate Oscar season. There's all of these great movies out there in the world and I can't see any of them locally. I'm hoping to see 2 of the following movies this weekend, Traffic; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Cast Away, Dancer in the Dark.

So far I'm still limited to Cameron Crowe as best director for Almost Famous.

• Two Listologists of note have been hard at work:   14 years 11 weeks ago

Re: The Critics Top Ten Survey

If anyone knows of any Top Ten lists which I don't have on here please send the URL my way or add it on to the list as a comment. I think I have found most of the major ones but more information is always appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dan

• The Ultimate Guide to Billy Wilder   14 years 11 weeks ago

Billy Wilder fans, I just discovered that Some Like It Hot will be released on DVD in April of this year.

• Movies I've Seen Recently   14 years 11 weeks ago

How'd you like 'em, if you don't mind me asking?

• CC00062: The Flaming Lips   14 years 11 weeks ago

I lean toward Perfect from Now On.

• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 11 weeks ago

Being a huge Costello fan, I already have his entries bookmarked or dogeared in the critical sources I consult. I also could probably rattle off the opinion of most of the critics concerning most of his albums from the top of my head. This makes creating a CC list very quick and easy. Thanks.

• CC00029: Primal Scream   14 years 11 weeks ago

XTRMNTR is a bit too new to be included in enough critical sources to form a consensus. Personally, I would give XTRMNTR around a 9.

As soon as enough sources update, I'll update these CC lists as well.

• CC00062: The Flaming Lips   14 years 11 weeks ago

Since you've added Yo La Tengo and the Flaming Lips in lists, I was curious to know what you thought about Built to Spill. What would you consider their best album?

• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 11 weeks ago

Wow! I'm amazed at the speed you put up the Costello list.

• CC00029: Primal Scream   14 years 11 weeks ago

What about XTRMNTR???

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 11 weeks ago

thanks for mentioning john bellairs. i read those many times throughout my childhood and they really are great....exciting and well-written. what about the house with the clock in its walls?

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   14 years 11 weeks ago

Tremors? One of the greatest midnight films of all time? Surely you jest...