• Great Teen Movies of The 80's   15 years 9 weeks ago

So pleased to see "Some Kind of Wonderful" right up there. It's my favorite. And you can't beat the scene where the "tough punk" lifts the desk top up to show Eric Stoltz his artwork.
    "Pretty in Pink" is also a favorite, but have you ever watched the Spader version? Simply fast-forward and only watch scenes in which James Spader is somewhere in the scene. It improves the film a great deal. Or at least alters it.
    Why no "Sixteen Candles"?

• Great Films By Ridley Scott   15 years 9 weeks ago

I actually enjoyed both "Hannibal" and "Gladiator". Though I enjoyed "Hannibal" a bit more. What did you think of these two movies, or does their absence from the list speak for itself?

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   15 years 9 weeks ago

Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Ericka Christenson (spelling) in Traffic

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   15 years 9 weeks ago

83. aja - steely dan
    78. a farewell to kings - rush

• ...the end (warning: possible spoilers!)   15 years 9 weeks ago

Yeah, I had no clue who had said that line. :)

I think that some of these lines... I'd actually be surprised if anyone has read the books. That's why if anyone wants to suggest some or do their own list, it might be a bit more interesting...

• The Great Black Actors   15 years 9 weeks ago

How 'bout Laurence Fishburne, Samuel L. Jackson, James Earl Jones, or Angela Bassett? And while I don't know if I'd put them on a "greatest" list, I usually enjoy Don Cheadle and Ving Rhames.

• ...the end (warning: possible spoilers!)   15 years 9 weeks ago

No sarcasm at all. I sometimes forget to use a smiley-face :-D when I'm trying to be charming.

If there was the slightest hint of (unconscious)sarcasm, it might have been because I was peeved at not recognising any of the lines. And that might also be why I asked you a difficult question (the answer to which is Robert Schumann who was talking about Frederic Chopin).

• Actors whose ability to act was surgicaly removed at birth but get most $ anyway   15 years 9 weeks ago

:yessssssssss nick cage is not only a good actor but hes a hottie aswell and i think that he shouldbe congragulated on his fine work. he deserves all the respect he can get!!

• Books I Wish I Appreciated   15 years 9 weeks ago

Very true 7days! Although I do like many classics there are many that I despise. What we have to understand is that many of these books were written in a different time and can be very difficult for us to relate to.
    Many of these so called classics had innovative styles or ideas, many of which we would find hard to appreciate because we have encountered them already in so many modern novels that have adopted these changes; therefore, we have become desensitized to them. If you can read a classic with an understanding of literary history I think it'd be easier to appreciate the innovations that the novel added to the literary style. Therefore for those of us who don't give a damn about innovations and what not and prefer a great story it is more difficult to appreciate a 'classic' that has only produced changes in literary style.
    Many people say they enjoy a classic just because it is considered a classic and it is popular to think well of that novel. Indeed, I have caught myself doing it time and time again.

• Books I Wish I Appreciated   15 years 9 weeks ago

I don't think you should wish you didn't appreciate them. Part of the beauty of books is that there is something for everyone. Just because a book is "well thought of" doesn't mean that you have to like it. There are "classics" that I don't enjoy and I don't feel like I should try to like them. You can only get out of a book what you bring to it. I have read books before that I absolutely didn't understand and have come back to them years later and they were incredible. Essentially, the reason that you may not appreciate the books is either because you read the book at the wrong time in you life, you couldn't really relate the the book or, according to your personal opinion, the book stunk. Let it be as simple as that.

• Authors Whose Works I've Vowed Never to Read   15 years 9 weeks ago

I agree that not all of these authors are worthy just because they were featured on Oprah. Oprah is a woman (as am I) and she has decidedly feminine tastes. Her own Horatio Alger life is reflected in the books she enjoys. Just because she endorses them doesn't mean they are worthwhile for everyone else. I guess that is the beauty of books, we can find pieces of ourself and our life in countless books. Essentially, what I am saying is it seems to me that people I know that didn't like to read before have now become interested in reading because of the Oprah book clubs and that is a wonderful thing. Oprah books may not be the best in the world but at least it is more high brow than a lot of the trash out there. I think anything is valuable if it gets people in the library and the book stores.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 9 weeks ago

I get nagged about it, but only by my friends who don't quite understand :) (and I don't pay attention them anyhow ;)

• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   15 years 9 weeks ago

I totally agree with you. Jude the Obscure is a perfectly awful and horribly depressing book. It is one of the few books I have had to force myself to read. I only forced myself to finish it so that I could verifiably say I read it all and it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   15 years 9 weeks ago

I'm not quite sure how big my library is, but I would guess around 1500 or so. I have them stacked every and the bookshelves are beyond full. Those 1500 or so books are ones that I want to keep. I have pared it down to the bones so to speak. Someday - my dream is to own a house where there is a real library and it is the focal point of the house. I agree that the display of books helps you to "broadcast" your personality but I also believe it helps to find out what other's personalities are. Usually, someone only picks up the books that interest them and that gives you a taste for what the other person likes. Having books around are a comfort to me. I buy books faster than I can read them because to me, unread books represent possibilities. I would be saddened if I had read all of the books I own. To me, that would mean that I stopped reaching for understanding. I have always believed that you are only old when you understand all the books you have read. Be young, celebrate knowledge and consider buying books one of the pleasures in life that no one nags you about.

• Name the Group/Artist From the Album   15 years 9 weeks ago

yup

• THE SONGWRITERS GAME: WHO WROTE THESE?   15 years 9 weeks ago

yeah. uh huh.

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   15 years 9 weeks ago

Well roy W. You are doing a fine job.

• R.E.M.'s Great Songs   15 years 9 weeks ago

great songs..they just didnt cut the mustard for me.

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   15 years 9 weeks ago

right Roy W.

• Favorite Horror Films   15 years 9 weeks ago

where is the exorcist?

• Ten Best Films Of The 1980's   15 years 9 weeks ago

i guess you're right.

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   15 years 9 weeks ago

Good going Dan!!

• ...the end (warning: possible spoilers!)   15 years 9 weeks ago

Any schmoe could think up a Great Opening Lines list, but it takes real genius to come up with a Great Closing Lines list. Hats off, gentlemen, a genius! [Who originally said that, and who was he talking about?]

• The Great Black Actors   15 years 9 weeks ago

I had a mind fart on Jones and Jackson. They will be added. Thanks Jim.

• Ten Best Films Of The 1980's   15 years 9 weeks ago