• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 13 weeks ago

Bravo! Another classic that I'm surprised stood unanswered as long as it did. Nice job!

MarkW

•   14 years 13 weeks ago

jim, thanks so much for the plug. i've certainly plugged listology enough--but i wasn't expecting such a kind gesture.

and i'd also like to add that (on account of my rabid listology habit) my fellow craftygals, christy and amie are also listology authors!

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

Oopsie Daisy! ("Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do...") I see now that I was hasty. The ubiquitous Anon. got it. Good for you, Anon.

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

I got to this list late, but I was shocked to see that none of you cinematic illiterates have identified #1. It's 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, one of the two or three most important movies of the second half of the 20th century.

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 13 weeks ago

Sorry don't have a login name:

38. El Paso - Marty Robbins

• 0018: The 100 Best Rock Albums (51-60)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Where is Rumours - Fleetwood MAc. This album is one of the best albums ever! In one of your lists you talked about overrated artists, let me give you some advice, Bob Dylan is very overrated in this list. I have already seen four or five of his albums, now come on he isn't THAT GREAT!!
    He his one of the best songwriters of all time, but his voice actually hurrts my ears!

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   14 years 13 weeks ago

These artists are all overrated, especially Dave Mathews. What is with all of the college kids loving Dave Mathews? Personally, I think it sucks ass!

• "this song is about me and him" songs   14 years 13 weeks ago

"Rhiannon"
    Is this in reference to the Stevie Nicks song? If it is then you have great musical taste! In response to the list, the Tori Amos songs are incredible!

• Movie quotes from more real movies.GET TO IT!   14 years 13 weeks ago

3 = Rocky, right? Or is that too obvious?

• Movie quotes from more real movies.GET TO IT!   14 years 13 weeks ago

2 is When a Stranger Calls, and I think also When a Stranger Calls Back

• 0019: The Action Film Hall of Fame (1950-1995)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Thanks. I admit to being a bit mystified as to why Temple of Doom continues to have such a weak reputation. At the times, following on the heels of the superior Raiders of the Lost Ark, it may have been seen as something of a letdown, but I believe it people could now view it without false expectations of it bettering its predecessor, folks would see a pretty good action film in its own right. Had there been no Raiders, Temple might now be seen as a mini-classic in its field. Ah, well.

Planet of the Apes is great fun, of course, but I know many people who just can't seem to get over the monkey suits.

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

#4 is ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO's NEST.

• The 20 phattest movies (in my view)   14 years 13 weeks ago

My misunderstanding; sorry!

• Disappointing Movies   14 years 13 weeks ago

Now that I'm through ranting (my mood having been set by our previous misunderstanding), some things I liked about each of these:

I liked Robert DeNiro in Heat, Ronin, and Jackie Brown. I almost always like DeNiro.

Tom Cruise was excellent in Magnolia.

I liked both coffee scenes - the one from Heat and the one from Ronin (both the "catch" and the "ambush" in that movie).

But I remain disappointed in these movies overall. I wish it were otherwise. I had high hopes going in.

• The 20 phattest movies (in my view)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Cool! I have to tell you, except for one time, every "abusive" post has been a misunderstanding. Always somebody giving somebody else they know from "outside" good-natured shit. I apologize for jumping to conclusions (when will I learn?).

• The 20 phattest movies (in my view)   14 years 13 weeks ago

The other list you commented on was from my sister. I KNOW she knows I'm goofin' around. Much love.

• The 20 phattest movies (in my view)   14 years 13 weeks ago

dudes and chicks lend me your ears. preston is my brother in law. I had to give him the egg in good fun. he knows I'm kidding. I guess I should have posted that on my first comment. love from jeff black.

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hint for 4-Nicholson. Hint for 5-John Cazale

• Blair Witch 2   14 years 13 weeks ago

I've seen worse. See the score for Winona Ryder's last movie, Lost Souls (glad I didn't waste my money). The ONLY "fresh" review uses words like "decent" and "passable" - not exactly glowing.

• 0013: Tom Hanks' Six Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

I'm not a Philadelphia fan. I appreciate its theme, but, IMHO, the film is too clear-cut, simplistic, and predictable. I'm quite the fan of the director, but I suppose I'll stick with Something Wild, Melvin and Howard, Silence of the Lambs, and Stop Making Sense. Between Beloved and Philadelphia, Demme shows an admirable concern for social issues, but an inability to transcend stereotypes, preaching, and a very uncharacteristic stale reverence that sucks the life from these films.

And the opera scene was just too cheesy for me.

Sorry.

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

I know I have heard 4 and 5 (Scorsese? No, wait! It's Last Tango, isn't it!) before. I'll have to think some more. (4's not Taxi Driver, is it?)

8 is Apocalypse Now.

• 80's Teen Angst Classics   14 years 13 weeks ago

Some time try watching "Pretty in Pink" - the Spader version. This means fast-forward through all scenes where James Spader does not appear. It gives a whole new life to the movie and is hilarious. "Blaine, you can't invite just anybody..."

• 10 Favourite Movies   14 years 13 weeks ago

WOW, this has got to be the most original mix of films I've ever seen on someone's list. The Draughtsman's Contract and Ferriss Bueller sharing space. Truly cool.

• 0019: The Action Film Hall of Fame (1950-1995)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Yes, thank you for appreciating both Planet of the Apes, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

• 0018: The 100 Best Rock Albums (51-60)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments. I like Rumours, but I couldn't find room for it on this list. Forgive me.

Actually, there are moments when I lean more to the adventurous Tusk as fav Fleetwood album, and what little I have heard of their older, more bluesy material sounds pretty good too.

As for Dylan, obviously a lot of people feel he is over-rated. Yes, he certainly is one of the best songwriters, but many neglect to notice the musical innovations he created as well. He fused folk, rock, and blues into an earthy, gritty, and exciting alloy. As an aside, I'm still shocked when I hear people slam Dylan and find out, after further questioning them, that they really only know the more popular folky singles he created. His singles are good, but he was one of the first true album artists, and anyone who has only heard Just Like a Woman or I Want You from Blonde on Blonde hasn't heard 1/20 of the album's greatness. (I'm not saying this is you; I'm just adding this as an aside).

His voice. La vie. Some folks find it too grating, and that often becomes an obstacle they find impossible to get past. He certainly has a horrible voice in any traditional sense, but he also has a unique quality to his voice that he managed to capitalize on. His words can sound as acidic and jarring as his most vicious songs, and as weary and intimate as his most personal tunes. He writes to his voice, and at least a good chunk of his genius is transforming what at first listen appears to be his Achilles' heel into his most devastating secret weapon.

But hey, different strokes.

Again, thanks for the comments and for taking the time to scan my lists. This Top 100 Albums list took quite a bit of time to pull together and to write, and it makes my day when anybody spends to time to read and to comment on them, even if he or she does disagree with me!

Funny, though. I really expected to read a thousand negative comments bemoaning the absence of Dark Side of Moon, and I haven't heard a one yet...