• Movies that I have yet to see and must rent this summer (Under Construction)   13 years 48 weeks ago

Sorry I can't offer anything further to The Res. Dogs controversy. I haven't seen it either. I loved the other Tarantino films, Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown. I have not seen Clerks either. All of the other films on this list I have seen at least twice. My own suggestion is to start with the Godfather Trilogy. The first is one of the best films ever. "Two" is almost as good and has Deniro as a young Vito. Three is a major disappointment, but after the first two you won't be able to resist it. I wasn't.

• Has anybody seen Gladiator yet? Is it wort   13 years 49 weeks ago

I've been told (by my brother the Roman history buff) that the end DID really happen. The Emperor Comidus (however you sp. that) really did get into the gladiatorial ring. So complaints about the ending should be directed towards history.
    As to the fight scene my boyfriend (a fan of these things) really admired it. And I admired the movie for Crowe's acting and the simultaneous revulsion and excitement generated by the gladiatorial scenes.

• Movies that I have yet to see and must rent this summer (Under Construction)   13 years 49 weeks ago

DO see Reservoir Dogs!!!! See it at least three times for that matter. It is in no way pointless. The characters in this movie are so well-developed, that you can see a new movie each time you watch it. The first time, I'd watch it for plot. Each successive time, I'd watch it from the POV of one of the many well-developed characters. And then I'd watch it for the sheer delight of the dialogue. This movie is Tarantino's finest. And it's indispensable viewing.

• Nasty torture scenes that even affect the strong at heart ( under construction)   13 years 49 weeks ago

Suggestion - The Canadian film "Black Robe" in which a rival tribe does things I don't even want to write about this early.

• The best of the series...   13 years 49 weeks ago

The Ewoks are actually not my issue with Return. In fact, I think the two movies are very closely matched, and that Jedi does have some killer sequences. What puts Empire over the top for me, though, is the amount of character development. Empire's the movie where everyone's in transition. Unlike the other two it's not just a straightforward mission, so ends up being less of a straightforward actioner. It's Empire, I think, that really paves the way for the excitement and tension in Return. Cause I can't get too excited about what happens to characters I don't care about. For me, Empire is what makes me really know and love the characters. Also, as in Clerks, the ending on a down-note. How ballsy is that? You don't often see a movie end on a down-note, let alone be so beloved. Sure the down-note lended to excitement for the sequel, but it also gives the series that needed touch of reality.

• Favorite Songs Whose Titles Contain Names of States   13 years 49 weeks ago

How about My Home's in Alabama (Alabama) and Georgia on my Mind (Ray Charles?)?

• Movies I Wish I Hadn't Seen On the Big Screen aka The "All Sales are Final" List   13 years 49 weeks ago

Is The Seige that movie with Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis? I've almost picked it up on a whim from the video store any number of times . . . I should not, I assume?

Also, I saw it a loooong time ago on video, but I liked Remo Williams.

I've seen most of these, but on video. However, I did see The Lost World on opening night. Ugh.

I have to admit, I enjoyed Men in Tights. The Lost World wasn't memorable enough for me to really have a grasp on whether it was any good, I'm afraid, but I don't recall it being that bad. I haven't seen a brief history of time, and while I would like to see it, I can guess why it wouldn't need the big screen.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 49 weeks ago

He's perfect for those roles. His voice just adds to his slime factor.

I looked him up on IMDb. His name's Henry Czerny. I don't think I've seen anything else that he's done. I was a bit surprised by the amount of work that he's done. Probably lots of bit parts.

• movies i regret seeing   13 years 49 weeks ago

well, normally i wouldn't qualify a relationship movie as "putrid" but these two were especially disheartening.

She's All That was just an awful high school flick with no depth of character or meaning whatsoever--not to mention that i despise the premise that the artsy girl is homely (because she--*gasp*--wears glasses!), clumsy, overly emotional, and defensive.

My problem with the Story of Us is more a kind of resentment. It left me feeling as if I had been through a senseless war--beaten and unrewarded. plus, michelle pfeiffer drives me insane no matter what; i should've known better. one reviewer at imdb says: "Great movies happen when images replace words. "The Story Of Us" was verbal diarrhea."

Sorry Patman but I think that I feel myself swayed toward Jenhowel's opinion. The movie has always intrigued me, and I would like to view it as soon as I can. If it disappoints me, however, you can always say "I told you so." Thanks for the comments.

• Since The Listology is so highly cross-referenced   13 years 49 weeks ago

Okay, this is done. You can now always click on the number of comments next to one of your own lists to view the comments (and the list, as it appears to the outside world). Lists without comments will have a zero next to them (but you can still click on the zero to view the list).

• Remakes   13 years 49 weeks ago

I rented the 1986 version for the party after my junior prom in high school. Such a romantic. I'd agree that it's the superior version.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   13 years 49 weeks ago

Absolutely. The less genre-splitting you do, the greater the challenge. I personally don't think I have the nerve to stick to only seven or eight genres.

• Favorite Movies by Genre (with many sub-genres)   13 years 49 weeks ago

bertie took me to task for the whole "classic" thing as well. I caved.

Cool. As good natured as they've been, I've always felt vaguely ill-at-ease about our various disagreements. But now you've gone and captured my sentiments precisely. While not for the faint of heart, the dialog alone is worth the price of admission.

• Favorite Songs Whose Titles Contain Names of States   13 years 49 weeks ago

Forgot about Georgia on My Mind. Must be an anti-Designing Women thing. Can't really say I'm an Alabama fan (the band, that is, not the state). I don't want to make this a list of any state song, just ones I like. Keep 'em coming though -- I'm sure there's a lot that I've overlooked.

You are correct about The Seige. At least I only spent $3.50 to see it at the Theatre Cafe. I would have been really pissed if I paid full price.

As for the Lost World, I found the book a bit dissapointing and the movie totally dissapointing. Did you see my other comment on Jurassic Park 3 being in production. I guess they feel that they don't need to wait for another book since they didn't follow the storyline on the last one that much.

I'm a big Mel Brooks fan and was very excited when I saw that he was doing a Robin Hood movie. It just didn't live up to the expectations set by movies such as Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and Spaceballs, IMHO. I must admit that it was better than his Dracula effort.

I suppose I would have liked A Brief History of Time more if I had seen it on The Learning Channel instead of spending 6 or 7 bucks on it (can't remember how much movies were when I saw that one).

• scene/movie ruiners   13 years 49 weeks ago

How can you be so right and then be Oh, So wrong?

I agree with you for the most part as far as movie spoilers, but come on. I ACTIVELY seek out movies with Ben Stiller or joey lauren adams (she's so cute in that way that Jewel just aint!)

C'mon expand yer horizons. get some taste. gimme a break. what's your deal. What, joey and Ben aint good enough fer ya? Sheesh.
    Mark Martin!! :)
    Element K Krew!!!!!!!!1

• My Favorite Films   13 years 49 weeks ago

Are there any other Kubrick films that you really like: Spartacus, Clockwork Orange, Paths of Glory, The Killing, Lolita, Full Metal Jacket? Have you seen any of these? Also, since you like Nashville, did you Altman's 2 critically acclaimed 90's movies, Player and Short Cuts?

• Top Ten Joni Mitchell Songs   13 years 49 weeks ago

You stole my list!!! Just kidding, but I really had this idea and would have put them in close to the same order (if they are in order). So I think I might be obsessed, too.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   13 years 49 weeks ago

yep yep; very nice; that slimy guy (he plays the same role in "Mission: Impossible". I also like his ending line "Great! The world's great, Jack!"

Don't bother seeing Reservior Dogs. IMHO, it was crap - long, boring, needlessly violent. I've got nothing against violence, but Tarantino seems to throw it in as filler.

• Since The Listology is so highly cross-referenced   13 years 49 weeks ago

Good point. For lists that have comments, you can click on the "number of comments" link to get to the non-owner version of the list. I'll try to put a clickable "0" in for lists with no comments by the end of the day (as UncRoger suggested awhile ago).