• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

I tend to feel that way too, but people cling desperately (sp) to the word "actress." I just think the implication is that an actress somehow does a differant job than an actor.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

Having just seen The Green Mile, two leap to mind: James Cromwell and David Morse. I've enjoyed them both in everything I've seen them in (which is admittedly only a handful each), all supporting roles.

And how about Kevin Bacon? Sure, he's had some starring roles, but I think he's been more successful (and prolific) as a supporting actor.

• great artists connected to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan   14 years 10 weeks ago

thanks for the input... i'll definitely be looking into his stuff soon.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

Now I remember him! Never really knew his name, but I do enjoy his work. Part of the problem with my remembering him was that he reminds me a little of Russell Crowe (although since Russell Crowe's recent starring roles, that will not happen again). I really love the quiet understatedness of the roles he chooses (or how he chooses to play them). He really seems to be really good at suggesting more to the character than was perhaps written in the script. I wish I could be more specific, but I'd have to watch his stuff over again to really put my finger on what I like about him.

I have seen LA Confidential and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a memorably gruesome scene in which the cop was crawling under the porch next to the dead body. Appealed to my mild claustrophobia.

Thanks for the tip about Ed Harris, too. He's another one I really like. He goes on my list of sexy older men. I think you nailed it, too - his appeal is largely his integrity (which is the word I was looking for to describe Morse's quality) - if that was the admirable carriage you were referring to.

Please excuse my wordiness - I will try to be more concise in the future (I'm kinda new to this message stuff - I'm still in term paper mode).

• CC00024: Blur   14 years 10 weeks ago

I cannot begin to express how disappointed I am with the critics here. I even have an exactly even number of British and American critics in my CC cadre, and Blur still panned out to be extremely underrated.

An interesting sidenote: I went back to sources about 3 and 4 years old, and Parklife worked out to a 10, with The Great Escape averaging an 8.5. Obviously, they are slipping in critical esteem. I can only hope a positive re-evaluation of their work is not too far in the future.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim, this is a valuable comment - as, of course, yours always are. It would have been a mistake to include "insultingly silly plot points", except that the screenwriter was someone I respect for his Buffy the Vampire Slayer scripts (on TV). His name's Joss Whedon. I even have some respect for his AR script because of its religious/moral aspects. Not that I'm religious, or morally perfect (who is?), but I'm very interested in that stuff. So, was Whedon being deliberately insulting? Possibly: the whole Alien Saga is riddled with insultingly silly plot points (e.g. the aliens kill characters that are no longer needed but keep others alive as hosts for their young - so what are they, killers or capturers?). I wouldn't put it past Whedon, a very sardonic humorist, to deliberately insert such plot points. But I don't know, so, after all, I probably shouldn't have included them as a confronting aspect.

I invited you to point out any sloppy thinking of mine, Jim, and you're doing a good job. Keep up the good work. And don't be such a stranger around here, hear?

• 10 Best 20th-Century American Poems   14 years 10 weeks ago

Female poet? Adrienne Rich. I particularly enjoy Living in Sin (but who doesn't? ;) )

I also may be the only person who still greatly love many poems by Stanley Kunitz.

• Books Every Woman Should Own   14 years 10 weeks ago

I also highly recommend:

A Room of One's Own, by Virginia Woolf

No More Masks!: An Anthology of Poems by Women, ed. by Florence Howe and Ellen Bass

The Color Purple, by Alice Walker

These books are good for everyone, not just women :)

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 10 weeks ago

What did you think of The Demolished Man?

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 10 weeks ago

I think I understand what you're getting at with "confronting" except where you state Alien Resurrection has "Insultingly silly plot points." Sure, if they are deliberately insulting, that is confronting. But if the screenwriter just did a lousy job of it, it's poor craftsmanship. Unfortunately, it's hard to guess if the screenwriter was being challenging or just incompetent. I assume, based on your comment, that you think the insultingly silly plot points in AR were deliberate?

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

Part of the problem is that the link above goes to James Cromwell instead of David Morse. Oops! Here's the correct link. He played "Brutal" in The Green Mile, the commander in The Negociator, and Jodie Foster's father in Contact. I'm not sure why I like him . . . he just seems so solid somehow. I like him the same way I like Ed Harris. I find something about the way they carry themselves admirable.

Regarding Kevin Bacon, by "successful" I meant in the box office. I too like him quite a bit in both his leading and supporting roles.

And if you haven't already, you must rent LA Confidential, another fine "Cromwell has good range" example (and a good movie to boot).

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

Duh - you just said you saw David Morse in the Green Mile. Which character was he?

• If you enjoy movie trailers as much as I do (they,   14 years 10 weeks ago

Good article...I've often become uninterested in a movie because I felt the trailer told me just about everything (ex. Double Jeopardy). I find I really enjoy the trailers that contain no actual footage from the movie; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Face-Off come to mind. While these movies would never make a top 10 list of mine, the trailers stuck in my mind as intriguing, and enjoyable in their own right. The problem with using footage from the movie is that the temptation is to use the best parts. I'm not saying I don't like any ads that are made this way; it's just that there are fewer surprises when you decide to actually watch the movie.

Having said all that, I am still addicted to the trailers - especially in the theatre. I often get so interested in the trailers I forget what I actually went there to see!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 10 weeks ago

that's it.

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 10 weeks ago

I am also disturbed to admit that "Untamed Heart" gets to me every time...It's one of the few videos I own. Oh, yeah, and the prom scene in "Angus."

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 10 weeks ago

My favorite part of "Titanic" was sitting there listening to this truly horrid dialogue just knowing they would be struggling for their lives in a matter of hours. It made it worth sitting through the flick. :)

• Books Finished Since May 1st   14 years 10 weeks ago

There is nothing embarrassing about reading genre fiction. I read quite a lot myself. I read for entertainment, not necessarily for edification, though that is also good. In fact, if you enjoy Joan Hess (who is usually somewhat humorous), you might want to check out my Humorous mystery authors list.

• My favorite quirky movies on a low budget   14 years 10 weeks ago

There are several other lists here like this. Most of them are called "Guilty Pleasures". You can use the Search page to find them.

If you liked the TOXIC AVENGER movies, you'll love a little New Zealand made schlocker called DEAD-ALIVE (original title: BRAINDEAD).

• great artists connected to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan   14 years 10 weeks ago

Alright another Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan fan! I found one of his songs on a new age music samply. It was a collaberation between him and guitarist Michael Brook, I think called "The Game". I've got the cds "Nightsong" and the remix cd called "Star Shine".

An English professor told me more about him and the Musst Musst is another great cd. I would like to find more of his older albums, the ones where he performs the traditional Quwali (sp?) pieces.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this truly awesome, earth-shattering voice. If you haven't heard it, you are truly missing out.

• 10 Teenybopper Songs That Sound Good After The 800th Listen   14 years 10 weeks ago

I would agree Limp Bizkit is teenybopper...Of course, I think they are the only ones I agree with on the list...after 800 listens, hmmm. after 8, I am over any Backstreet, Mandy Moore, Britney, Ricky, Enrique, N'Sync or Christina. Okay, I could probably let Christina stay here...I would probably add MMMMMMBop to the list from Hanson!

• films i'm avoiding for one reason or another   14 years 10 weeks ago

Okay, I think I'm one of maybe 3 people in Indy who saw "American Psycho." Okay, there were probably more than 3 since there were 3 of us the day I saw it. I'm a fan of the book, and thought the movie was fairly well done. Admittedly, one more than one occasion I looked at "patrick bateman" and thought of Jim Carrey. Still, I considered it a challenging, yet worthy moviegoing experience.

• Favorite John Hiatt Songs   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hmmmm....yeah, I do love that song, too...always brings a smile to my face. :0

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   14 years 10 weeks ago

Until I found this site, I didn't realize there were others who enjoyed "Baseketball" :) I just love this film...How about "Orgazmo?" It is really just not well done at all, but I just laugh hysterically during it.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 10 weeks ago

Welcome to The Listology, Min. Jim, whose site this is, has been very busy in the real world lately. About your answer: I can't confirm it, so we'll have to wait for the challenger to get back to us. Hope you'll feel like contributing some lists - maybe when you've explored the site a bit. There's lots of interesting stuff here. Enjoy!

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 10 weeks ago

You are probably right about that, but my reasons for not making the distinction between actors & actresses is more about streamlining the language. You wouldn't call a female doctor a doctress, so why make the disctinction for actors? They all do the same work.