• To Buy/Borrow, Miscellaneous Nonfiction   14 years 18 weeks ago

I don't know why.. but A People's History of the Unites States keeps coming up in conversation. I have a copy, but haven't read it yet.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 18 weeks ago

You might try some Vinge (A Fire Upon the Deep) and Peter F. Hamilton's Night Dawn series (start with The Reality Dysfunction).

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 18 weeks ago

I have seen BLUE VELVET, a long time ago, probably not long after it was released; but I have to admit that it made no lasting impression on me. I'll have to watch it again before I put it on the list, otherwise I wouldn't feel honest.
    Give me a rain check, too, on the masterpiece question.

• life-sucking actors/performances   14 years 18 weeks ago

I don't know where I heard this either, so my accuracy might be as good as my memory... :)

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 18 weeks ago

Gee, I guess I'm going to have to break down and check out X-Men soon. I was quite the fan of the comics when I was younger, and I am terribly afraid of being disappointed, but it seems most fans have been pleasantly surprised by it. Hopefully, my experience will be the same.

• 0015: So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic - Tier 1   14 years 18 weeks ago

By the way, Amadeus will certainly be on the second tier, whenever I get around to posting it.

I'm currently working on the second tier of rock music. I am tempted to create a page like this one for literature. Any interest out there?

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 18 weeks ago

Yea, I'm not a big hard sci-fi fan. I'm trying to ease into it a bit starting out with space opera type stuff. I did read a short story by Egan called _Blood Sisters_ last month but I didn't like it that much, the plot just didn't do much for me. I do plan on trying some of his other short stuff though.

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 18 weeks ago

One more idea - being able to see the number of entries on each list when looking at a search result (OK, so I just want to compare the "Books I've read this Year lists the easy way). In other words, I would see a list of lists like:

• Books read in the 2nd half of 2000 (21) by timepiec (32 entries)
    • Books I've Read This Year (53) by Rhaam (24 entries)
    • Recent Books I have Read by Smooney (4 entries)

[just making these numbers up, don't kill me if I under-report your reading]

Which brings up another idea - is there a way to seach only in the list title, not the contents? (like for "this year")?

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 18 weeks ago

Jim, at another site I visit (which shall rename mainless), they give you a grace period in which you can alter a posted comment before it gets locked in and belongs to the ages. Would it be very difficult to introduce such a feature here?

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 18 weeks ago

Ah yes! poor old Steve McQueen - what a loss, and what a legacy.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 18 weeks ago

Thanks, kaliipso. Can you think of any titles to add to the list?

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 18 weeks ago

Not that I recall. I might have heard part of it at some time on radio. The only recording I have of The 9th is by George Szell conducting The Cleveland Orchestra.

Do get a sound card. There are some wonderful Midis on the Net (and some atrocious ones).

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 18 weeks ago

Blue Velvet. Not only is the evil lurking under the middleclass neighborhoods of America, like "Lincoln", but it lurks beneath the main character. AND, is it really the masterpiece that some suggest?

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 18 weeks ago

I like it. Consider it added to the wish list. Also, enhanced searching capabilities are on my list. I plan on allowing cross-media searching, the ability to search just title, list, comments, discussions, or various combinations.

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 18 weeks ago

Not sure about degree-of-difficulty, but it certainly seems worth pursuing.

• 0015: So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic - Tier 1   14 years 18 weeks ago

I saw your note about the intentional dearth of 80s and 90s movies on this list, but you know what a recency freak I am. So how 'bout Pulp Fiction (94), Unforgiven (92), Platoon (86), Amadeus (84), The Big Chill (83), or Tootsie (82)?

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 18 weeks ago

How about "Hey, dawg....did you see the size of that chicken???"

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 18 weeks ago

There, my film list is now complete and posted (So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic). I'll tell you in advance, though, Jim - there aren't too many 80s and 90s films on the list. Foretold is forewarned!

I hope somebody enjoys it and benefits from it.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 18 weeks ago

I think some of the best SF is that in which the sciency part does take a back seat.

Then again I love Greg Egan's short stories, which are solely sciency for the most part.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 18 weeks ago

I love this list...anyone with a... diverse mind.. would enjoy such diversity!

kaliipso

• My Greatest Movies!   14 years 18 weeks ago

Yes....i enjoy most of Whoopi Goldberg's movies..and Geena Davis...as u said "Chalk and Cheese".

kaliipso

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 18 weeks ago

Well I haven't read tons of sci-fi but I have been reading it more lately. I really liked some of the scenes (especially the end) but on a whole it seemed kind of disjointed to me. I wasn't really sure what he was trying to say but I guess it was just that the message was so simple (the cycle of technology and then holocaust) that I was looking for more. So I think the problem is that it seems like an old idea, but considering that it was written almost 50 years ago that's ok. I just finished _The Sparrow_ and liked that much better even though the sci-fi in the story kind of took a back seat to the character development.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 18 weeks ago

I've seen a bunch of Nicholas Brothers footage at a small theater here. The guy who owns it has a bunch of old movies that he'll bring out and play from time to time. Actually last fall I had the privilege of seeing one of the Nicholas Brothers perform at a dance camp I was at! Definitely not quite the dancer he once was, but still impressive that he can dance at all at his age. (80s I think)

• My Greatest Movies!   14 years 18 weeks ago

You liked TELEPHONE? Whoopi Goldberg's TELEPHONE? So you're the one. But you liked THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT too? Chalk and cheese.

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 18 weeks ago