• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

Well, Jim, it's been more than a few week-days, it's been a few weeks, and nobody has taken the hint. Ellison must be feeling like an utter has-been. I'd claim it now, except I've forgotten the story's title, and my sf collection is still largely in moving-house-limbo. Is someone going to beat me to it before I can dig out my copy of D........ STORIES? Only time will tell. Oh my! the suspense.

• CC00009: Radiohead   14 years 5 weeks ago

Why put The Bends over a point below OK Computer? They are both wonderful albums, but I consider The Bends to be a cut above; it's wonderfully moving and the lyrics wail with alienation and disconnect. It's almost *too* good: listening to it almost always makes me moody, so it's not an album for all occasions.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 5 weeks ago

A few hints:

2. Any reader of my lists knows that this artist is one of my favorites, even if he is not currently in vogue.

10. No one has guessed this yet? Mega-selling 80s and 90s band which is a favorite of many. This is from my favorite album of theirs, although most folks would list this as a second or third favorite.

23. Top ten hit (peaked at number 3, I believe) by an eclectic artist popular in the 80s, back when everybody, even he himself, knew his name.

25. Jim and I have briefly discussed this album.

27. One of the largest bands in history. Scan the list and think of the most famous band not mentioned. That's them, and this is from their best album. The album's lyrics are a bit burried, so one can be easily forgiven for not getting this one.

28. She's royalty in the world of soul, and yes, you have heard of her. This was a single.

29. Notorious cult album and a critic's (myself included) darling.

31. Oddly enough, this band probably wasn't named after the drug. And no, not Morphine. A new song from a band which only recently broke their long silence.

33. If you have heard any punk in your life, you've probably heard this band.

35. Maybe if you heard the guitar parts...

36. From Lester Bangs' favorite album, these lines open the disc.

39. Even though Americans dreamt it was over, this band continued to have quite a rewarding career. This great single was big in England, but nowhere to be heard in America.

42. If you dug rock music in the 50s, this man was no doubt your buddy.

43. Askew and hexed.

50. Despite the lyrics of number 43, he was the king of it.

Oh no, I've said too much. Have I said enough?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

Good ear! Tom Robbins it is. He hasn't written too many novels, so do you wish to take a stab at which one it might be?

Again, good call, especially since it was based on style.

• Favorite Movies   14 years 5 weeks ago

I like a lot of films on your list, but I don't know what people saw in Buffalo 66-- so if you could let me know what I was missing. I remember being very annoyed by the voice over...

• Authors Whose Works I've Vowed Never to Read   14 years 5 weeks ago

What ideas of John Irvings do you not agree with. I always feel that he is talking about the holiness of everyday life, regardless of the themes he picks? How do you know about his ideas unless you've read him? I have to admit he is a top, top favorite author of mine, and I love the way he uses homor to get at really deep issues. I don't mean to sound horrified.. Just a note, give him a try! I can see what you mean about the annoyingness of oOprah, but the older I get, the more she seems to be trying to do a good thing to help people. Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, and Alice Hoffman have written very nice things that I read independantly of Oprah.

Also, I boycotted John Steinbeck and Ernest Hemingway for a long time, because I didn't like the first thing I read by him (The Red Pony and Old Man and the Sea), and it took me about 12 years to realize that they were classic authors who had good things to say.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 5 weeks ago

sorry, been vacationing...yep, it is Ani's song. Very nice indeed.

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 5 weeks ago

'fraid I haven't read them, as I say often. Guess my folks steered me towards the more "boy books", tho I did like the Ramona series by...dang, who'sherface.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 5 weeks ago

I believe he had a few more roles after Being There, although BT did give him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor!

I understand about not liking a film on first viewing you eventually end up loving. For this reason, I try not to be too out-spoken about disliking a well-respected film until I have seen it at least twice. Goodness knows it's not because I'm shy or soft-spoken!

I'm thrilled somebody enjoys this gem of a film!

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 5 weeks ago

I have read portions of his History of Europe, which I liked. I have not read his newer History of the Twentieth Century yet. A friend of mine who has complained that it falters a bit toward the end. She claimed that his lack of understanding of newer developments such as the Internet made passages a bit laughable. I have no idea how apt her observations are, but there you go.

• To Read, and in my Possession   14 years 5 weeks ago

While it might take awhile, given the molasses-like pace with which I'm crawling through my to-read list, I'm definitely going to tackle the Fagles first (since I own them). I read them each once in high school, but I don't know what translation they were. In any case, I'll add the Chapman translations to one of my buy/borrow lists, thanks!

• To Buy/Borrow, Home/Handy   14 years 5 weeks ago

If we ever tackle that job upstairs, I'll be sure to check with you first, thanks!

• Resonant Movies, Tier Two   14 years 5 weeks ago

Ha! Not quite what I had in mind. :) However, I have to admit that I re-examined this list, and I recalled all the movies on it quite clearly EXCEPT for S&S. Note its departure...

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 5 weeks ago

I preferred A Bug's Life, mostly because I enjoyed the characters more. Also, while both were impressive, I preferred the character animation style in ABL. Finally, my interest in seeing Small Time Crooks aside, I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, and Antz was too much a Woody Allen movie for me.

• Animated Movies, My Personal Ranking   14 years 5 weeks ago

Jim, I'd like to know what you thought of Antz. I've heard some critics say (who they were, I can't remember) that although A Bug's Life did better at the box office Antz was the better of the two. I thought A B L's characters were more endearing. Perhaps I feel this way thanks to my two year old nephew who watched the movie, oh about 15 times, and this helped me learn to love them.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

Some further hints to stimulate guesses:

36 - The author has already been guessed, so all I'll add is that this is something of a children's story. Sorta.

37 - This author was recently mentioned on the site. For this quote, it is very important to know one's Self.

38 - This author has been talked about quite a bit lately, as he has finally released another novel. Cult writer, Seattle, recent new novel. A few people here have cited this as a favorite.

40 - A film version is being released soon and, I believe, played at Cannes this year.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

Based solely on your hint, I'll guess The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane. I thought that line sounded familiar, and if that's the source, then I now know why.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

Oh, I just feel guilty getting a book quiz entry based on film knowledge. Ben Hur, by Lew Wallace.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

Not sure I take your meaning here, lbangs. The hint was given in order that someone might get the answer and claim the identification.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 5 weeks ago

Good job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago

HINT re. #60: I know some of you must surely have been assigned this at school. It's a famous Civil War novel.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 5 weeks ago

Not quite yet. #49 Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag by Country Joe MacDonald and the Fish.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 5 weeks ago

Sorry, buber, can't help you there.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 5 weeks ago

Great news! I just discovered that Fireworks will be released on DVD in the next two weeks, making every film on this list now available on the format. Excellent.

• Best Disney Movies   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hercules rather than Beauty and the Beast? Oh, Martin...

Oh well, I salute you for leaving The Lion King off the list. I also agree with you on prefering Toy Story 2 to the first one.

L. Bangs (a noted Hercules hater)