• People I can recognize just by the sound of their guitar   14 years 16 weeks ago

hey jimi...someone's callin your name...hey jimi...i think i hear it again...

how about robert johnson?
    how about kurt cobain?
    how about JIMI JIMI JIMI?

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 16 weeks ago

Wow, your fiftieth CC list! Congrats! I wish I had more to contribute to them comment-wise, but I don't feel knowledgable enough in most cases. Sure do like reading them, though. I'm going to have to start a "to listen to" list. Thanks!

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 16 weeks ago

does the disability have to be the quirk to make it to your list? how about the disability being the message? i vote "cat on a hot tin roof"

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

clarification:

slint is a band.
    "in the aeroplane over the sea" is an album by neutral milk hotel.

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

or "in the aeroplane over the sea". you might also do some good by checking out slint- some sort of common denominator of bonnie "prince" billy and some other louisville and chicago rockers.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 16 weeks ago

How can you have this list without listing some of the greatest classic supporting actors. Take a look at these resumes:
    Claude Rains - Casablanca, Notorious, Lawrence of Arabia, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Now Voyager, Mr. Skeffington, Angel on My Shoulder, and Passgae to Marseilles.

Lionel Barrymore - It's a Wonderful Life, You Can't Take It With You, Key Largo, A Guy Named Joe, Since You Went Away, Camille, Dinner at Eight, Grand Hotel, and Duel in the Sun.

Walter Brennan - Meet John Doe, To Have and Have Not, My Darling Clementine, Sergeant York, Pride of the Yankees, How the West Was Won, Bad Day at Black Rock, Red River, and Rio Bravo.

Robert Shaw - Jaws, From Russia With Love, The Deep, The Sting, Man for All Seasons, Battle of the Bulge, Lavendar Hill Mob, Black Sunday, and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three.

Shelley Winters - A Place in the Sun, Night of the Hunter, Diary of Anne Frank, Lolita, Alfie, A Patch of Blue, The Poseidon Adventure, and The Tenant.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 16 weeks ago

And I eagerly await your analysis and insights. I greatly respect your vast knowledge and unique yet superior taste in rock music. I am sure to find your comments enlightening. Thanks for spending the time to read them and to comment on them.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 16 weeks ago

Hey Mr. Bangs, I'm eagerly printing off these exhaustive commentaries and rankings so that I can study them a little more carefully and report back to you. I look forward to reading your analysis and insights.

Johnny Waco

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 16 weeks ago

Les, Excellent choice for your fiftieth list; there's not a whole lot to dispute here. I haven't heard the three lowest ranking albums, and if I ever do, I hope to be pleasantly surprised by a little wheat among the chaff, but who knows? I do think that critics should give Easy Rider a little more of a chance; its a quiet, unassuming album that slowly grows on you. It will never be a classic, but I think its low key nature hurts it.

Johnny Waco

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 16 weeks ago

I did post and revise some new lists yesterday, but I had to log off of AOL and sign on with a different screen name each time I wanted to post something. I called the AOL/Windows number and they helped me do several things, but to no avail. Both my computer, which is a little older and uses Windows 95, and my parents', which is only a few months old and has Windows 98, have the same problem. I think the problem must lie with AOL, not individual users' computers. I don't know why some AOL users have no problems and others do, but I honestly think that the problem has to involve AOL.
    Also, Jim, how difficult would it be to install a log out button on another page besides the "My Lists" page? If users having trouble could go back to the Listology main page and then log out and re-log in, it might help matters, at least until this gets ironed out. Thanks for the effort you've put in trying to clear everthing up.

Johnny Waco

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 16 weeks ago

Yes, nadine, I probably should add an example of Applied Philosophy to my Introduction. The main areas, traditionally, have been Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Science, and Political Philosophy; but recently (= in the last 25 years or so), Environmental Philosophy has grown large. There's also Applied Ethics, which has many subdivisions, e.g., Bioethics (= largely, Medical Ethics, including the ethics of gene technology). So, as you can see, there are dozens of topics to choose from. Any of these interest you?

• Nominees for Kick-Ass Female Performances   14 years 16 weeks ago

Julianne Moore probably never should have been on the soap opera As the World Turns, but Meg Ryan got her start there too....

• Favorite Detective Fiction Authors   14 years 16 weeks ago

Just FYI, Ngaio Marsh wrote the Roderick Alleyn novels, PD James' very literary detective is Adam Dagleish. Also I would add my personal favorite Amanda Cross/Carolyn Heilebrun as another literary detective.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliment. I'm interested to hear if you continue to like the list as it grows. I do not hate the "Human Wheels" single, but I do wonder why it was chosen as the single. I do find it a bit monotonous and greatly favor most any other song on the album. Of course, I'm an Okie, which...well...I'm not sure what that means.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 16 weeks ago

How could I forget one of the greatest supporting actors ever? The late great Phil Hartman was fantastic in everything I've ever seen him in!

• Favorite Actors and the Movies I Most Liked Them In   14 years 16 weeks ago

Rumours of my demise have been... aw, forget it.

Thanks for the compliment. Have you checked out my in-progress top 100 rock albums yet? Your beloved Trinity Sessions have made a much-deserved appearance, and I'd love to hear your comments on my write-up for the album.

• Favorite Actors and the Movies I Most Liked Them In   14 years 16 weeks ago

Well, if it's any consolation, some time ago I had to double-check that you weren't The Lester Bangs ("he writes like a professional rock critic, but I thought he died?").

• 10 Reasons Why "Infinite Jest" Remains The Most Frustrating Book Ever Written   14 years 16 weeks ago

David Foster Wallace.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 16 weeks ago

Good god almighty, bertie- that is one long introduction.

It is extremely well thought-out, however, and I for one have to say thanks for taking the time to put it up here. It's very cool.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 16 weeks ago

Links! We need links! Somebody post links or I'll have to, and I really don't have time to run them down right now. :)

Who wrote this? Any book that prompts a reaction towards the author of, simply, "Bastard." is something I have to check out =)

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 16 weeks ago

All hail The Onion :)

But, I've gotta add one for my own- "What the Hell Did I Stick in My Ass Last Night?"

Not to mention anything based on Herbert Kornfeld, "Tha H-Dogg". =)

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

Sadly, I have never been lucky enough to hear Zaireeka in anything approaching its full glory. A friend of mine had a rare inport that mixed the four cds down to one, and I really enjoyed it while fully aware that I was missing a large chunk of its brilliance. I really love The Flaming Lips, and I'm not just saying that because I live in Oklahoma.

The Bonnie Prince Billy album gets greater with every listen; Nomadic Revery is one of my favorite songs this decade. I have only heard a smattering of Neutral Milk Hotel, but since everybody who knows my taste recommends them, I suppose it is about time I broke down and picked up On Avery Island.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 16 weeks ago

Good luck finding The Wrong Guy...I think it may be a little difficult. It's kind of a small film, populated almost entirely by Canadians. The video stores here don't always carry it, and so far I've only seen one copy per store. Hold on....I'm assuming you're American...It's entirely possible you're from Canada and would not have so much trouble finding this movie. However, if you are in the U.S., I think it might be a little more difficult. (I happen to own this movie, but only because I own tonnes of movies that were on sale for under $10. My ownership does not mean this is a fantastic movie).

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   14 years 16 weeks ago

big star? velvet underground? husker du? sounds like its a whole *genre* of experimental pop music you just don't like. ever hear elliott smith? stereolab? they're amazing musicians borrowing their ideas from these past great guys.