• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 12 weeks ago

I just got off the phone with AOL support, and they were able to access the features of The Listology without any problems, so this isn't a universal AOL problem (while it seems restricted to AOL/CompuServe users, it's not all AOL/CompuServe users). They assured me that the problem is not with The Listology, but with the specific setups of the folks that are having problems. They mentioned two things that might be causing the problem:

1. If you do not have cookies enabled, and the site makes use of them (The Listology does), this might cause the error.
    2. If your system resources are low, this might cause unexpected errors.

Of these, I suspect the first. The Listology does make use of cookies. However, on most platforms (and certainly on my machine) if you have cookies disabled, the site should behave normally except you will have to log in each time you do a "restricted" action (e.g. every time you save a list). So the first thing to try would be enabling cookies, restarting AOL (just to make sure the enabling of cookies is in effect), and seeing if you have the same problem.

If that fails, AOL suggested that the users having problems call them directly for assistance. For Windows-version support, dial 1-888-346-3704 (this is the number I called, and I didn't have to wait long at all). For other support numbers, dial 1-800-827-6364 and listen to the mile-long list of options.

I am not foisting off responsibility on AOL to fix this, or on you to work it out for yourself. I'm still researching on my end, but I think the best approach right now is to first try enabling cookies, and then calling AOL support to see what they say. Please let me know how it goes, and if that fails, I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks!

• Essential Songs: Garage Rock   14 years 12 weeks ago

2 words: Wooly Bully!

Great list; heck, I even love the Monkees' version of Kicks.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 12 weeks ago

Everyone I've known that's read it has.

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 12 weeks ago

Dylan delights (or at least used to delight) in telling various versions of his past. Some of his early press releases are quite a hoot to read. He also loves to give various meanings of songs, usually because he doesn't like to explain his work. I can understand this.

As far as Tarantino, I was alluding to that darned band-aid on the back of Ving's head. He originally claimed that it was a result of Ving cutting himself shaving, and that he thought it was more interesting to stare at than a featureless bald head. I tend to believe this story. Later, when the legends of Ving's soul being in the suitcase started circulating, people believed the bandage covered the place where the devil stole his soul from his body. Q originally denied this, but I have read at least one interview where he affirmed this tale. Sometimes fans of films create better explanations and legends for the work than their creators do (see similar Star Wars tales on this website), and perhaps too often, directors just go with it.

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 12 weeks ago

LOL. Just one question, is Harrison Ford's nose really that crooked or is it just a scanning mishap?

• For you Bladerunner fans - was Deckard a re   14 years 12 weeks ago

Interesting; I didn't know about Scott's earlier Bladerunner explanations. What are the Dylan and Tarantino stories?

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 12 weeks ago

Got "Redwall" at a book fair here in VA (Green Valley Book Fair, an excellent place where about 50% of the books in my library have come from). Very enchanting...more childish than I imagined it, however. I also just re-read "The Wizard of Earthsea" by LeGuin, and I'm having a heck of a time finding "The Tombs of Atuan"...the local library computer is a straight liar....

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 12 weeks ago

Eagerly awaiting my friend to finish with "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (which was purchased at 12:01 AM last Saturday morning) so I can get a crack at it. I hope that Ms. Rowling will wait for a bit before releasing the next book, if for no other reason than to quiet the unending hype of the media locked in the summer slump.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 12 weeks ago

What did you think of Vittorio the Vampire? I was very disappointed in it, it just didn't hold my interest the way the others did. I prefer it when she explores the minor characters, like Pandora.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 12 weeks ago

Hmm, my two cents (tho that whole "Star Wars" entry is a bit of a joke): in one of the few star wars novels that I have read when they started coming out about 6 years ago, I remember (vaguely) that the Kessel run was an extremely trecherous area of space (wormholes? dark matter?) and that running it was like running through a cave blind. There aparently wasn't a set course through to Kessel, so Solo's quick (or short) trip may well have been something to brag about. But again, I am not in any way a master of Star Wars trivial.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 12 weeks ago

I would say they were used for atmosphere, mainly. The Whole Wide World is set in Texas in the 30s I think, so the sepia gives both a period feel and also a "Dust Bowl" effect, and Commandments is about a man going through a very blue period (the premise is that he thinks God is out to get him, so as revenge he's going to break all the commandments - I find it very funny, he has all the commandments written down as a to-do list which he checks off).

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 12 weeks ago

Yep it sounds pretty harsh so far. But I think I'm really going to like it.

• Surprisingly Thought-provoking Movies   14 years 12 weeks ago

I thought Three Kings was a very effective indictment of Operation Desert Storm. Sure, I've seen articles on our real motivation for the war, and how we incited rebellion and then hung the rebels out to dry, but 3K did a great job of actually capturing that. In addition, it was very well acted (Mark Wahlberg surprises me again and again - when will I finally accept that he really can act?), with good characters that develop naturally. I have to imagine that it's hard to depict realistic character growth in just two hours, but thought that 3K did a nice job of it; it didn't rush to make our heros Do The Right Thing.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 12 weeks ago

I'll bite. Since I never gave the "Kessel Run" line a second thought, what's the problem and justification (I'd probably see the problem instantly if I took the time to look up the definition of "parsec").

• "FEEL GOOD" Movies (For women only. Sorry Guys!)   14 years 12 weeks ago

Regarding your City Slickers comment, I didn't realize that a mid-life crisis could kick in as early as 30 (I always figured 40 was the lower bound)! I'll have to keep on my toes. :)

• The   14 years 12 weeks ago

Perhaps I should have been a little more careful with my wording. I didn't mean shocking, exactly - more surprising. The opening shower scene, and Lester Burnham smoking up and giggling behind the building during the party were a little unusual (I thought), and the unexpectedness of these scenes made me laugh.

I can see how the mix of comedy/drama would be off-putting, instead of refreshing as I saw it.

• Best Novels I have Ever Read   14 years 12 weeks ago

Nice list. Having read my share of fantasy in my day, I'm surprised to see you list Eddings' Mallorean series but not his Belgariad series. Did you really prefer it?

• The   14 years 12 weeks ago

I agree about the acting; Annette Bening, Kevin Spacey, Thora Birch, and Wes Bentley were all great. I just couldn't go higher than pretty good on the ratings scale -- and can't figure why everyone else is so gaga over it.

I didn't see too much that was visually shocking -- even at the very end, when Spacey is killed and his blood splatters, it was pretty clean, compared to other movies and to real life. Three Kings' wound scenes were probably worse, and I'm sure there are others -- try The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover for instance.

I don't see this as a terribly heavy movie, really, nor do I see it as a fun film, so it kinda gets lost somewhere in the middle. But, yes, great acting and great cinematography.

• "FEEL GOOD" Movies (For women only. Sorry Guys!)   14 years 12 weeks ago

A couple of comments on these... Father of the bride will make
    you not want a daughter, 8^) but it was funny even for
    guys. Leap of Faith was rather scary/sobering and
    enlightening at the same time, by demonstrating how easy it is to fake
    miracles for people who are receptive to such deceptions. If they
    want to believe, it won't take much to get them to do
    so. The Money Pit was not as good as the original, Mr.
    Blandings builds his Dream House
    (which is one of my favorites.)
    City Slickers was good, not to serious or deep, but deep
    enough. The right amount of "feel good" plus action, adventure,
    challenge, etc.

This is an interesting list. My wife much prefers "dying baby" movies -- I can't think of any movies off the top of my head, but Dave Pelzer's book A child called it is a good example. Hard to explain, but you know 'em when you see 'em. The Lifetime channel shows a lot of dying baby movies. (I don't care for them, myself. 8^)

• The   14 years 12 weeks ago

It's too bad this movie got the attention it did. I was able to catch this one before I'd heard anything about it, and was truly impressed. The level of intellect was not as much as it could have been and the handling of certain issues (ie. the homosexuality) simplistic, as UncRoger said, but I think the acting and seamless blending of comedy and drama more than made up for this.

I think Annette Bening's acting was superb; particularly the part after she tries to sell the house and has a bit of a breakdown. I also thought that the visually shocking scenes (ex. when Annette Bening's character is having sex in the motel room were very effective and funny.

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 12 weeks ago

I agree with the additions of Gattaca & Galaxy Quest. I'd also put these up for consideration:

2001: A Space Odyssey -- Not only one of the best films ever made, but is easily the finest piece of SF ever put to celluloid.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind -- certainly Spielberg's best

A Clockwork Orange -- engrossing depiction of a violent future, but not really 'scary'

E.T.: The Extra Terrestial -- cute & fun

The China Syndrome -- is this Sci-Fi...?

How about Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 12 weeks ago

I have never seen James and the Giant Peach, and Alice in Wonderland certainly does count (though I really tend to think of that one more in terms of the book). If you read my comments to ender22d, these are the lines along which I was trying to think to come up with more entries. I think animation is probably the best arena for this topic, though my mind draws a blank when I try to think of any.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 12 weeks ago

I haven't seen any of these movies. I've heard much discussion about Delicatessen, though, and it seems to come up often in a number of different contexts so I think I'll put it near the top of my "to watch" list.

If Stalker fits so well into this list I will definitely have to watch it; thanks for the tip.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 12 weeks ago

Dune is something I haven't seen since I was too young to remember it. Thank you for the suggestion - I was trying to think of more science kind of movies (as well as animation), rather than just fantasy. I will have to rewatch it sometime.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 12 weeks ago

I'm glad to see that others have watched The Cook, The Thief... by Peter Greenaway. Greenaway is one of my favorite directors and the use of color in this film is very cool. I'm not sure if I "get" the film yet, but Greenaway seems too ingenuous and intelligent in interviews to be deemed pretentious. All his movies seem to use colors to express mood, but The Cook, The Thief of course takes the cake.