• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 10 weeks ago

Another one to add to the rental list... Now we just have to get heat in the living room and find some time... Thanks!

• my fav. pink floyd songs (in no particular order)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Really good choice.What do you say about: Time, Careful with that axe Eugene,Echoes etc.

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'm not into gore-for-gore's sake either, or scary movies, for that matter. (And I'm pissed that of all of Heinlein's novels, the only two that get made into movies are his war (Starship Troopers) and horror (Puppet Masters) novels.)

I'm going to have to check out Gattaca and Until the End of the World as well.

• 12 PINK FLOYD songs   14 years 10 weeks ago

Trebao bi poslušati i ostale njihove albume.Zašto ne voliš rane radove?

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 10 weeks ago

Y'know, based on comments on the Listology, I went ahead and bought it on DVD. Unfortunately, the DVD drive in my laptop doesn't like it (it works fine on my brother-in-law's machine.) So I haven't seen it yet. Now I just need to find time to watch it on his machine, or get around to putting my entertainment computer together in the living room. But, I suspect it qualifies...

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 10 weeks ago

Surely the Three Colours films, Blue, White, and Red, could qualify then...

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yes, I would think that costume colour choices qualify for this list. Any conscious colour choice on the part of the director is an effort to contribute to the film as an art form, I think.

I have not seen Heathers, though I've heard some good things about it. It will go on my list of things to watch.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 10 weeks ago

The movie Heathers also has an interesting use of colour, in the costuming-- Each of the title "Heathers" always wears a signature colour, which matches their croquet mallets and rooms. I don't know if this is what you mean, but costume color choices are often very interesting and say a lot about the characters and relationships between them.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 10 weeks ago

One thing I've always admired about the Star Wars universe is that, no matter what the plot discrepancy or general nonsensical thing, the fans themselves always find a way to explain it. A notable example is the "I made the Kessel Run in under twelve parsecs" thing, which I'll forego explaining unless someone is actually interested.

In this case, though, it's fairly simple- C-3PO's a droid, so he would have had his memory wiped sometime between episodes III and IV, most likely when Anakin turned to the dark side and the droids left his possession. Hence, no "hey, jabba!" or "ooh, i was created here!" or "Skywalker? I had a master named Skywalker once."

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 10 weeks ago

Yea, I have 2 collections _Starlight_ and _The Dark Side of the Earth_ and most of the stories in those get pretty good ratings from my neighbors over at Alexlit. But I haven't read any shorts from Bester yet. So little time, so many books...

I just started _The Sparrow_ by Mary Doria Russell have you guys read it yet?

• Stole the Show   14 years 10 weeks ago

I have, and you're right, they did.

• CC00041: Joni Mitchell   14 years 10 weeks ago

I was just reading your comments on the Simon and Garfunkel list, and now I understand why the live album, which contains a lot of songs I love, can be rated low. I really doesn't hang together as an album.

One of the things I have always admired about Joni Mitchell is the way she genuinely changes as she gets older, but keeps on prodcuing. Her sound has changed on the later albums not only because her voice has aged, but because she, and the things she is interested in saying, have changed. It seems as though the critics still like the sort of middle period of Joni Mitchell the best (as do I), but I still admire lower rated albums like Taming the Tiger, just because she still keeps on producing. I also think that both Ladies of the Canyon and For the Roses are as good as Court and Spark and Blue, although the latter two contain the most popular songs.

I guess that's all for now-- but I am happy you are posting people i know (like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Simon and Garfunkal) I can't comment at all on the newer groups, because although I may know them and like a few songs, I don't know or follow all of their albums.

• CC00041: Joni Mitchell   14 years 10 weeks ago

Thank you. This pretty much agrees with how I feel about them, however I love the live album, Miles of Aisles.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 10 weeks ago

I believe the principle applies to sit-coms. I learned it in the theatre-- basically there tend to be thr jokes in a series, or three funny lines around the same premis, with the third one being the funniest, or the "topper," that makes you laugh the most hysterically or is the most unexpected. I of course can't think of an example.

About philosophy-- I had always tended to think of it mostly in terms of "practical philosophy" or what you are calling "Applied Philosophy." I find the rational argument part of philosophy very difficult. I start out rationally arguing, and then get very emotional. I don't know if its being female, or being a 'creative type" or just not being grown-up enough. My current search is for a philosophy that suits me!, although I find it all very interesting.

BTW- the division into three makes sense to me, although I think humans naturally divide into twos so we can easily compare and contrast.

• Stole the Show   14 years 10 weeks ago

If you've seen Me, Myself and Irene:

Charlie's three kids totally stole the film. Every single scene they were in cracked me up, from arguing about physics to learning to fly the chopper.

• CC00046: Michael Jackson   14 years 10 weeks ago

Both. The Best of Michael Jackson, while released in 1981, was a Motown cash-in put out to benefit from Jackson's success with Off the Wall, an album released after Michael switched labels to Epic. It only covers Jackson's 1971 - 1975 material, of which Ben is the highest ranking album on this list. It contains nothing from Off the Wall, Thriller, or any later albums. One of the two discs of History is a best-of covering the later, Epic years, and I suspect it would have earned a 10 if it was not saddled with another disc of new material that didn't tend to do much for most critics. Too bad that compilation disc wasn't released separately, as Jackson has no good Greatest Hits collection for his best years.

• CC00046: Michael Jackson   14 years 10 weeks ago

Curious that The Best of Michael Jackson is so low on the list. Misnamed, or an early 'best of'?

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 10 weeks ago

I posted Joni Mitchell this morning. While the ratings are not my opinions, I would still love to hear your reactions to them.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'll have to agree with you on Alien. I believe it is Scott's best film, overall. In fact, I have probably seen it more than any other movie. Second would go to Blade Runner. I recently watched the letterbox version and realized that every frame of Blade Runner is sure photographic perfection. I think that I have only seen two (2) films that were better photographed, Barry Lyndon & Eyes Wide Shut. Personally, I didn't care much for Thelma & Louise. Sure it was kind of fun, but it was also somewhat cartoonish. I can't help it, but Legend (as bad as it is) is my third favorite Scott film. I mean, is it me, or was Tim Curry born to play the horned Prince of Darkness?

• Soundtrack to my life   14 years 10 weeks ago

I have a quite similar list called "Soundtrack of my life." Only the Good Die Young is also on my list...pretty cool to think about the role of music in our lives, eh? You reminded me to put John Mellencamp on my list. :0

• CC00043: Simon & Garfunkel   14 years 10 weeks ago

First, thank you very much for the compliments. Somewhere around CC22, I started to wonder if anyone was gaining any insight from these lists, which do take some time to pull together. Luckily, a positive comment like yours is enough to get me through another 10 or so of these beasts!

As for the criteria, when I first began compiling critical sources to pilfer for these lists, one of the quality I sought in their critiques was an attempt to view an album as a complete work of art. As such, I believe your final phrase about judging the 'album as a whole and how well the songs work together to create a single art form' probably applies best here. Some greatest hits and box sets have scored very well, but only those that include excellent selection and sequencing. A 'best-of' album usually can indeed be a solid work of art on its own if enough care is taken putting the package together. These lists probably reflect that belief.

As an interesting side note, I believe the new Simon & Garfunkel greatest hits set, while too new to qualify for this list, is being widely smiled upon by the few critics who have reviewed it. With more songs and improved sound quality, it appears to be superior to the older best-of included above.

I hope that answers your question, and thanks again for the kind words!

• CC00043: Simon & Garfunkel   14 years 10 weeks ago

I have been unfamiliar with most of the CC's you have done so far, and thus had very little to say. S&G is the first I feel remotely qualified to comment on. (I'm not a fogey, nor are they my favourite musicians. I'm just a music major immersed in classical, classic rock and a only handful of newer groups).

Unfortunately I've only heard two of these albums (Greatest Hits & Concert in C.P.), though I know most of their other songs as well. Considering how low these two albums scored in comparison with those at the top, I am indeed curious to hear them.

I am curious, however, what sort of criteria goes into the judging of an album? Is it the performance of the individual songs, the quality of each song, or the album as a whole and how well the songs work together to create a single art form? (I realize these are not necessarily your opinions.)

Here is as good a place as any, I suppose, to thank you for these CC lists. They are a wonderful public service for those of us looking to expand our interests and have no idea where to start.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 10 weeks ago

Special thanks for this comment. I had just about decided that no one at The Listology was interested.

I hadn't noticed that about comedies. I'll be watching for it the next one I catch. Does it apply to sitcoms? - my current favorite is JUST SHOOT ME.

Btw, the idea that philosophical principles and positions on philosophical questions fall into three groups isn't the official line in the discipline, it's my own thesis. I gave a seminar on it at my local university a few years ago and I'm working on a book about it.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 10 weeks ago

I love the top 3 as well, and I would have figured Alien and Thelma flip-flopped too. Personally, Alien is probably my favorite, barely over Blade Runner.

• CC00006: Stanley Kubrick   14 years 10 weeks ago

Six scores of 10 and 2 scores of 9.5 are no surprise by the master. I gather there is not enough info to include the recent Eyes Wide Shut and its average score. Personally I love all of the top six, and I would score Lolita ahead of The Shining. I've yet to see Barry Lyndon and Killer's Kiss. The one 10 rarely talked about is The Killing; a must-see movie for people who like heist movies. Actually, I think Tarantino must have idolized this movie when you consider Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.