• 0017: The Science Fiction Film Hall of Fame (1900-2000)   14 years 16 weeks ago

I greatly appreciate this comment. I took especial pains to try to include great science fiction films from throughout the entire history of cinema, and your comments make that work worth it. King Kong is a much discussed yet oddly little-seen classic that deserves more viewing (and a DVD release!). Harryhausen should never be forgotten; he raised primitive special effects to an odd realm of poetry. If I ever get around to a similar fantasy list, you can be sure to see his work appear again. As for the Meilies, how could I exclude him? Very likely ground zero for science fiction, and while the piece is short, I believe it is still extremely enjoyable today.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Hey, Bertie! Great to hear from you.

I have seen Miracle Mile, and while I enjoyed it, I just couldn't quite bring myself to allow it into the hall of fame. I'm not sure it fits the definition of 'science fiction' closely enough to be let in. Nuclear holocaust is certainly an interesting subject (especially with a bit of satire a la Miracle Mile or Dr. Strangelove), but I decided against including them here. Forgive me.

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 16 weeks ago

_Diamond Age_ was good as well, but keep in mind that the ending SUCKS. _Cryptonomicon_ is a different beast entirely but I liked it as well.

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 16 weeks ago

Yea I guess you're right about the hero thing. I hate it when the hero has to have this big retinue of characters to save him from anything bigger than a garden snake (and I'm definitely American). I guess authors use the whimpy hero as a way for normal people (who probably aren't strong, together, super-heroes) to relate instead of itimidating them with a flawless hero that they could never hope to be.

Everyone tells me that I would really like _Snowcrash_ a lot and that it's my kind of thing so I guess I should read it sooner or later. I have been keeping my eye out for a copy but I'm really cheap so it could be a while. If I like it a lot I'll probably do _Diamond Age_ but I don't think I'll ever get to _Cryptonomicon_ it's just too damn big and somebody said there's math in it.

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 16 weeks ago

Snowcrash was indeed great. Have you read the rest of Stephenson's stuff?

• Never Finished Them   14 years 16 weeks ago

Actually, I did. It took 3-4 tries, but I finally got through it (on a bet of sorts).

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 16 weeks ago

Well, you'll have to include the commercially surprising CHRONICLES OF THOMAS COVENANT THE UNBELIEVER films with FX by Industrial Light and Magic and starring myself. It may take me a decade or two, but these aren't for the kiddies at all. And I'd be really good as the unbeliever! That's my dream project that just won't leave me alone... fun topic!

Thank you for including the vintage King Kong and the Harryhausens, as well as several other classics from more than 15 years ago. Cultural memory is drastically reduced, even in genre entertainment. It's nice to see someone appreciate standouts from Melies onward.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 16 weeks ago

I'm gonna guess it's that user's list of movies to see. Thus, a list of interest for movies to see in the future, not a list of interest for future movies.
    Then again, that's just my guess...what do I know? :P

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 16 weeks ago

Foucault's Pendulum was great. I read it in under a month. Well, I read it while walking down the street, while eating, would have read it in my sleep if I could. Great fun. The ending was a bit disapointing, but I can see why it had to be.

As for Neverwhere, that whimpy main character is what passes for a "hero" in the UK. Look at aurther dent in Douglas Adem's books. The idea that the main character has to be this strong, together super-hero is an American thang.

Gibson's a lot of fun. If you liked Neuromancer you'll love Stephenson's "Snowcrash", IMHO the best cyberpunk novel ever.

• Never Finished Them   14 years 16 weeks ago

Don't feel bad - nobody finished GRAVITY'S RAINBOW, it's the Great Unfinished Novel.

• Ways To Procrastinate   14 years 16 weeks ago

I'll think of a hilarious response to this. Hang on...

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 16 weeks ago

Don't quite understand the purport of this list. Movies not made yet? THE 39 STEPS has already been made at least twice, once by Hitchcock. But I'd love to see a movie version of EARTH ABIDES, a great sf novel in the 'End of the World' genre.

• All Time Favorite Books   14 years 16 weeks ago

Just finished Watership Down and it is definitely a candidate for my list of favorites. My husband is skeptical that a book about rabbits could be so great. I'm just going to have to make him read it.

This list begs another list: The Science Fiction Hall of Ought to be Famous, containing (off the top of my head) MIRACLE MILE, for one.

• Read Quickly While Recovering from Various Physical Maladies   14 years 16 weeks ago

Maybe I should created a list of favorite Westlake books.

• Favorite southern rock songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

No Allman Brothers Band? I especially enjoy the live Fillmore album...

• Favorite southern rock songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the clarification. Now that you put it that way I can definitely see the sound you're describing in her songs (not just Black Velvet).

Great list, by the way. I listen to and own many of these artists' CD's and hadn't previously classified them together like this. You've given me some new insight into the music I thought I knew.

• Films that make you go hmmm...   14 years 16 weeks ago

Don't Forget these plot-twisters that make you go hmm!:

The Usual Suspects
    Sixth Sense
    The Thomas Crown Affair [both versions]

• Favorite southern rock songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

For me at least, it refers to a style. It has almost a country-western sound to it. And Black Velvet defintely qualifies for that (I believe it was actually on the Country billboard list as well as the rock).

• favorite directors   14 years 16 weeks ago

I'm not a huge Kubrick fan, really. Sorry :) Sellers was wonderful in Dr Strangelove, but the directing wasn't wonderful. 2001, though, had great directing, I do admit that...

Also, Mamet is a clear fav of mine, not only does he write, but he directs, too! :)
    The Spanish Prisoner, Oleanna, Homicide, Things Change, and House of Games. Oleanna especially is a great movie...I watched this at a college philosophy event and we discussed it afterwards...you'd be surprised how people can perceive the same story completely differently!

• 10 Dickens Titles That Sound Funny To A First-Time High School Stoner   14 years 16 weeks ago

this is a beautiful list!

• Books I've read this year so far.   14 years 16 weeks ago

It took me a whole year to read _Foucault's Pendulum_ (I think it was 1991) but I really loved it (it's on my favorite list). I wish it would come out on tape (unabridged), I hate to 'waste' actual reading time on a book I've already read.

I also liked _Neverwhere_ but hated the wimpy main character.

How was that Gibson book? I've only read _Neuromancer_ but I liked that a lot too.

• 10 Best Philip Roth Novels   14 years 16 weeks ago

Well I read _Sabbath's Theater_ and thought it was great, it is however, unfortunate that he only has one book that is better. That means there is not a lot to look forward to. I really want to try _Deception_ I like trying experimental stuff and I heard that it's all dialogue. But I will probably end up reading _American Pastoral_ or _Portnoy's Complaint_ because they are both available at my local library.

• Favorite southern rock songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

Well, if you want to check out similar-souding artists, go to Amazon Music > Styles > Rock > Classic Rock > Southern Rock. It's not a very popular sound nowadays, but I'm not the only one who classifies it this way.