• Science And Philosophy   14 years 15 weeks ago

nadine, the topic you are interested in I would call Philosophy of Life rather than P. of Religion. But there is some overlap between the two. I'll look at adding a paragraph or two about Philosophy of Life, but it might take me a week or two to get around to it.

Btw, let me re-emphasise that there is much more to the 'logic' part (language, reasoning, truth, etc.) than I have touched on. If you are presently doing a philosophy course, I strongly advise you to pay attention to what your instructor says rather than my 'Introduction'.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

It is a German film and easily one of the best silent films ever. This definitely should be on your list, as it meets your qualifications to a tee.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 15 weeks ago

I know that. :) I meant links to the actual articles.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

I'm afraid I've not seen this one, but if I recall correctly, it's Dr. Seuss, no? If it is, then yes, he is one of the kings of strange worlds.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

WOZ is one of my all-time favourite rewatchables. I think I've seen it too many times & become too familiar with it to recall it in an "imaginitive worlds" context. Thank you for reminding me.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

Whew! Whatta list.

Willy Wonka: very imaginative, truly worthy of this list.
    Brazil: never seen
    Tom Thumb: never seen
    This is Spinal Tap: never seen
    Batman: Burton, again, is amazing. Batman is a classic and no matter how hard they try, they can never make one as good. Though Batman Returns bit hard, the atmosphere was pretty cool.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

I've never even heard of Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I suppose I should check that one out too.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thank you -I can't believe I didn't think of that one! Cartoon-y animation is one of my favourite things to watch, and that one was particularly fun. I've always wanted a car with a face on it that has a honk that say "AAAHHHOOOOGA". Anyway, enough of my rambling. That is different enough, and qualifies because it's a world separate from the real one. I think in this case it counts more than, say, an entirely animated movie, because the fact the cartoon world exists within the real one makes it fantastic and absurd. If I'm putting this one on the list, I should also include Cool World.

• Essential Songs: David Crosby   14 years 15 weeks ago

Then there may be a fourth version, if the boxed set's liner notes are correct - a remixed single version.

I'll have to investigate this further. Meanwhile, I really need to hear the single version soon.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 15 weeks ago

How do you mean that disability is the message of "Cat"?

• Essential Songs: David Crosby   14 years 15 weeks ago

The more I hear Crosby, the more I appreciate his unique songwriting, as silly as it may be at times. About Why: I think I meant the single version included as a flip side of Eight Miles High. I don't know which version is on the box set because there is the single version, an alternate RCA studio version (both on 5D), and a third version included as a regular track on Younger Than Yesterday.

Johnny Waco

• Essential Songs: David Crosby   14 years 15 weeks ago

I no doubt need to hear more of Crosby's work. I have heard many of these songs, however, and I am very glad to see my favorite Crosby tune, Everybody's Been Burned, made your list!

Question: Is the version of Why included as a bonus track on 5th Dimension a different version than the one on the boxed set? I know many critics complained about the remixing on the boxed set version, and I'd love to hear the much-praised original.

• CC00053: Bruce Springsteen   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks! Actually, Tracks, the new box set I believe you are speaking of, is listed above. Since the sheer mass of the material and the uneven quality of the material drug it down a bit, I'd be very interested to see how the one disc distillation, 18 Tracks, would do.

The Ghost of Tom Joad was definitely the most argued-over album; some critics found it bland, while others ranked it as a favorite.

I'll try to hammer out Tom Petty tonight and post it by the end of lunch tomorrow. He has quite a few albums, so I make no promises, but I'll give it my best shot.

• Essential Albums: Box Sets   14 years 15 weeks ago

I still somehow have not picked up the Beach Boys set. Probably that hefty price tag... I've loved listening to it, and perhaps if I finally broke down and bought it, it would appear on my compilations list. Rarely has such a great group been so inconsistent, pretty much making the boxed set a necessity.

• CC00053: Bruce Springsteen   14 years 15 weeks ago

Hey, another big hitter on the CC list! I've never been terribly enamored of the Boss, but I really love the darker, starker stuff like Nebraska. I was also disappointed with the Greatest Hits album; I wish Columbia would do something a little better. I know its new, but what do you think the new box set would rate?

Johnny Waco

Also, Do you think you could do Tom Petty anytime soon?

• Essential Albums: Box Sets   14 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks for the praise; yeah, I think the Beach Boys set is by far one of the best I've heard, especially considering that with a few exceptions, both the early Beach Boys and the late didn't make especially strong albums. And even though their music evolved quite a bit over the course of their career, it retained the trademark Beach Boys sound, making this collection consistent.

Movie list? Well, I tend to get in cycles, so at some point I'll start making book or movie lists, and no more music ones will appear for awhile! So I'll just have to see.

Johnny Waco

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 15 weeks ago

"microsoft patentes zeroes, ones"

i swear i will stop incessantly posting on this thread. it's just all coming back to me now. sorry.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 15 weeks ago

also, they used to have little weather reports that showed the u.s. divided into a couple different color groups, and the key explained them as something like

red = cool, sunny
    yellow = light, breezy
    blue = ditzy, easy.

my favorite article was about plucidan 4- a child receiving his last dying wish: a dose of the life-saving medication that could have saved his life.

also, "clinton holds summit with magic turtle" i remember as being pretty good.

but this is what i remember from memory. i used to run out to reckless records in chicago every thursday to pick up the new issue.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 15 weeks ago

sigh. the onion. america's favorite time waster.

those horoscopes cannot be beat. i was told one horoscope that my zodiac had been cancelled and replaced with reruns of the cosby show or something.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 15 weeks ago
  • Songs I've Gotten Stuck in My Head While Being a Meter Maid this Summer   14 years 15 weeks ago

the teddy bear picnic? god, that must be some sort of torture to have that stuck in your head. you have my complete empathy on that end. but very little empathy for being a meter maid.

now, what about "lovely rita meter maid" the beatles...?

i always seem to get "la cucaracha" (sp) and "no woman no cry" stuck in my head and they REFUSE TO GO AWAY. the funny thing about songs getting stuck in your head (i discovered this when i had "you've lost that loving feeling" stuck in my head playing solitaire the other afternoon)...at first you're humming it and that's when you realize its stuck in your head, then it's sort of annoying you and you're singing it, and then....then there comes an epiphany...a point...when you are ACTUALLY trying to sing the song well. hitting the notes correctly and your voice is doing vibrato and the whole nine yards.

yeah well.
    i get songs stuck in my head a lot.
    i get parking tickets a lot too.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 15 weeks ago

Hey Lester, I couldn't help myself; I went out and procured a copy of Farther Along. And while I think that overall the album deserves its low rating, I think that it might obscure a few (and I mean few) strong points. First of all, if I made a list of the five worst Byrds songs ever, two tracks on Farther Along would qualify easily: America's Great National Pastime and BB Class Road. Both are nothing short of cringe-inducing. However, Bugler, a song sung by Clarence White, is one of the best Byrds songs I've heard, standing up with anything on any album. Also, two other songs White had parts in, Farther Along and Bristol Steam Convention Blues, are really good. If anything, Farther Along confirms what an underrated musician Clarence White is; I think he was the equal of any member of the Byrds over the span of their career.

Johnny Waco

• Essential Albums: Box Sets   14 years 15 weeks ago

When are we going to get a film list from you?

• Essential Albums: Box Sets   14 years 15 weeks ago

Again, a very solid and admirable list. I admit I haven't heard the final entry, but looking over its contents on another site, I believe it probably merits inclusion here.

The only missing item I mourn is the Singles Collection of the Rolling Stones, but after a couple more thearpy sessions, I'm sure I'll gros to cope with this...

• Essential Albums: Trip-Hop   14 years 15 weeks ago

Ignoring the Enigma entry (Enigma = Trip-hop? Ah, well), this is a pretty solid list, including the necessary Maxinquaye, Dummy, Blue Lines, and Endtroducing entries. Have you heard Tricky's second disc, Nearly God? I consider it to be much better than Tension and much closer to the quality of his debut.

I'll admit that I have not cared too much for what little I have heard of Presage and never really counted them as trip-hop, but you have no doubt heard more of them than I have and are a much better judge of this.