user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • My favorite quirky movies on a low budget   14 years 5 weeks ago

How 'bout El Mariachi? Too much critical acclaim to count as "quirky"? You won't find a much smaller budget!

• feelin' the need to see   14 years 5 weeks ago

Almost TWO MONTHS later and you STILL haven't seen The Messenger? What kind of human shield are you? You realize, of course, that you're getting dangerously close to having me rent it first? What happens if I don't like it? It will be your fault for not seeing it and warning me. Are you really prepared for such a crushing level of guilt?

:-)

Or do you too feel trepidation every time you actually have the box in your hand? I have yet to make it to the checkout counter without trading it in for something else.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

We have a long tradition of wordiness here at The Listology, so don't feel you have to rein yourself in. And I think "integrity" is an excellent word choice. Glad to see Morse and company made the cut for this list!

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 5 weeks ago

Where is "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie?" I personally preferred it, but I'm aware that would not be the consensus.

• My favorite quirky movies on a low budget   14 years 5 weeks ago

I've heard good things about "El Mariachi", but have never seen it. I'm sure it would qualify for the list. :0

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   14 years 5 weeks ago

You'll have to move to England, where all the Diamond Dog lovers seem to be hiding! (I know how much you love Cool Britanica! They didn't produce the Spin Doctors, ya' know!)

And here I thought you were going to complain that I haven't gotten around to CCing Roxy Music yet... Geez...

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 5 weeks ago

Sadly enough, it was only when everyone was drowning (I hope that's not a spoiler to anybody) that the film truly became somewhat enjoyable!

Please O please, Mr. Cameron, get somebody to help with your scripts from now on. You're a great director, but only a fair to poor screenwriter.

• 0003. My Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 5 weeks ago

I still haven't seen Untamed Heart yet. Thanks for the suggestion.

• CC00017: Ringo Starr   14 years 5 weeks ago

Not entirely unfair. While I believe Ringo's drumming gets trashed entirely too much (for the style of drumming the Beatles required, he was excellent, and his drum parts are often sadly overlooked when analyzing the Fab Four's sound), his voice is not up to par with the other Beatles'. I think his main weakness, however, is his songwriting skills. While Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison could write some mighty fine tunes, Ringo has zippo talent with crafting a song, and he knows it. As a result, a good number of his albums have a chummy jam feel about them (see his All-Starr Band albums) that restrain them to being slight entertainment at best.

Thanks for the compliments; going through the four's solo work was enlightening and refreshing, if, for the most part, a bit disappointing.

And a lucky little bugger he is...

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 5 weeks ago

Russell Crowe gives an excellent performance in this movie but it is extremely violent! Be prepared to feel uncomfortable if you do watch it. Jo G

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

I hadn't thought of James Cromwell - good one! His range really impressed me when I first started noticing him: from the farmer in Babe to Zephram Cochrane in Star Trek First Contact.

Kevin Bacon is another good one, although I'm not sure I like him BETTER in supporting roles - I like pretty much everything he does. You're right, though, he certainly is more prolific as a supporting actor.

I don't think I know who David Morse is. I looked him up through the link you provided and didn't recognize or find anything helpful. What did you see him in?

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

I tend to feel that way too, but people cling desperately (sp) to the word "actress." I just think the implication is that an actress somehow does a differant job than an actor.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Having just seen The Green Mile, two leap to mind: James Cromwell and David Morse. I've enjoyed them both in everything I've seen them in (which is admittedly only a handful each), all supporting roles.

And how about Kevin Bacon? Sure, he's had some starring roles, but I think he's been more successful (and prolific) as a supporting actor.

• great artists connected to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan   14 years 5 weeks ago

thanks for the input... i'll definitely be looking into his stuff soon.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Now I remember him! Never really knew his name, but I do enjoy his work. Part of the problem with my remembering him was that he reminds me a little of Russell Crowe (although since Russell Crowe's recent starring roles, that will not happen again). I really love the quiet understatedness of the roles he chooses (or how he chooses to play them). He really seems to be really good at suggesting more to the character than was perhaps written in the script. I wish I could be more specific, but I'd have to watch his stuff over again to really put my finger on what I like about him.

I have seen LA Confidential and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a memorably gruesome scene in which the cop was crawling under the porch next to the dead body. Appealed to my mild claustrophobia.

Thanks for the tip about Ed Harris, too. He's another one I really like. He goes on my list of sexy older men. I think you nailed it, too - his appeal is largely his integrity (which is the word I was looking for to describe Morse's quality) - if that was the admirable carriage you were referring to.

Please excuse my wordiness - I will try to be more concise in the future (I'm kinda new to this message stuff - I'm still in term paper mode).

• CC00024: Blur   14 years 5 weeks ago

I cannot begin to express how disappointed I am with the critics here. I even have an exactly even number of British and American critics in my CC cadre, and Blur still panned out to be extremely underrated.

An interesting sidenote: I went back to sources about 3 and 4 years old, and Parklife worked out to a 10, with The Great Escape averaging an 8.5. Obviously, they are slipping in critical esteem. I can only hope a positive re-evaluation of their work is not too far in the future.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim, this is a valuable comment - as, of course, yours always are. It would have been a mistake to include "insultingly silly plot points", except that the screenwriter was someone I respect for his Buffy the Vampire Slayer scripts (on TV). His name's Joss Whedon. I even have some respect for his AR script because of its religious/moral aspects. Not that I'm religious, or morally perfect (who is?), but I'm very interested in that stuff. So, was Whedon being deliberately insulting? Possibly: the whole Alien Saga is riddled with insultingly silly plot points (e.g. the aliens kill characters that are no longer needed but keep others alive as hosts for their young - so what are they, killers or capturers?). I wouldn't put it past Whedon, a very sardonic humorist, to deliberately insert such plot points. But I don't know, so, after all, I probably shouldn't have included them as a confronting aspect.

I invited you to point out any sloppy thinking of mine, Jim, and you're doing a good job. Keep up the good work. And don't be such a stranger around here, hear?

• 10 Best 20th-Century American Poems   14 years 5 weeks ago

Female poet? Adrienne Rich. I particularly enjoy Living in Sin (but who doesn't? ;) )

I also may be the only person who still greatly love many poems by Stanley Kunitz.

• Books Every Woman Should Own   14 years 5 weeks ago

I also highly recommend:

A Room of One's Own, by Virginia Woolf

No More Masks!: An Anthology of Poems by Women, ed. by Florence Howe and Ellen Bass

The Color Purple, by Alice Walker

These books are good for everyone, not just women :)

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 5 weeks ago

What did you think of The Demolished Man?

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 5 weeks ago

I think I understand what you're getting at with "confronting" except where you state Alien Resurrection has "Insultingly silly plot points." Sure, if they are deliberately insulting, that is confronting. But if the screenwriter just did a lousy job of it, it's poor craftsmanship. Unfortunately, it's hard to guess if the screenwriter was being challenging or just incompetent. I assume, based on your comment, that you think the insultingly silly plot points in AR were deliberate?

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Part of the problem is that the link above goes to James Cromwell instead of David Morse. Oops! Here's the correct link. He played "Brutal" in The Green Mile, the commander in The Negociator, and Jodie Foster's father in Contact. I'm not sure why I like him . . . he just seems so solid somehow. I like him the same way I like Ed Harris. I find something about the way they carry themselves admirable.

Regarding Kevin Bacon, by "successful" I meant in the box office. I too like him quite a bit in both his leading and supporting roles.

And if you haven't already, you must rent LA Confidential, another fine "Cromwell has good range" example (and a good movie to boot).

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Duh - you just said you saw David Morse in the Green Mile. Which character was he?

• If you enjoy movie trailers as much as I do (they,   14 years 5 weeks ago

Good article...I've often become uninterested in a movie because I felt the trailer told me just about everything (ex. Double Jeopardy). I find I really enjoy the trailers that contain no actual footage from the movie; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Face-Off come to mind. While these movies would never make a top 10 list of mine, the trailers stuck in my mind as intriguing, and enjoyable in their own right. The problem with using footage from the movie is that the temptation is to use the best parts. I'm not saying I don't like any ads that are made this way; it's just that there are fewer surprises when you decide to actually watch the movie.

Having said all that, I am still addicted to the trailers - especially in the theatre. I often get so interested in the trailers I forget what I actually went there to see!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 5 weeks ago