• Best Albums by the mighty METALLICA   14 years 14 weeks ago

do i know you? yes, i did have a friend who enjoyed the metallicountry song "mama said." not a bad one, but just not as "great" as others. anyways, the symphony thing seems like a good idea, but i found that most of the songs sounded forced... like there was a metallica song with some horns and strings superimposed on it. the two new songs, however, (-human & no leaf clover) i think are pretty good. they almost sound like they were written with the orchestra in mind.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 14 weeks ago

Interesting theory. After Out of Time, REM promised to deliver a rock album. Of course, they hit us with Automatic for the People. I guess Monster was simply delayed. I think most REM fans were waiting for a ripping rock disc, and therefore, I think they wanted to like Monster. I know I did.

I was ready to hear the band rock again, but unfortunately, I tend to agree with Monster's lackluster ratings. A few of the singles shine, but some the songwriting is incredibly lazy, and the production often softens what should be a rough roar of glam rock perfection. Guitars rage, but they often sound strangely sterile or muffled. The sloppy tunes and crippling production never let this album run wild. It is an interesting, occasionally brilliant, but frustrating and disappointing album. I sold my copy off a few months after buying it, and I haven't missed it since.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim. The bookmark helps considerably. OK, actually AOL hasn't said there's nothing else they can do, but I've called three times, and they checked for cookies, emptied my cache, and something else that escapes me at the moment. Each time they told me to call back if it didn't work, but I got a little frustrated so I gave up for that day. I'll call again pretty soon. They have no idea what the problem is, but they seem to think that my computer is fine and that each solution probably won't work, but they're hesitent to say that the problem might be with them. It's not a priority though; with the bookmark I can post fairly easily, and so can any other AOL user with problems.

Johnny Waco

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks for taking the time to read it, and for the compliments. Do I take it your vote is for an addition on the subject of Philosophy of Religion?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 14 weeks ago

It's a good opening line. I don't know that I'd describe it as 'funny', but it's provocative. I've been trying to think of what the same opening would be like if written by a female author. "I kneed him in the groin" perhaps?

• 0026: 10 Great Rock Sophomore Albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

Hard to argue with these choices, although I really prefer My Aim is True to This Year's Model (we never agree on the album, only the artist, huh?). Paul's Boutique is an excellent inclusion that completely slipped my mind.

Johnny Waco

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 14 weeks ago

All right, I know I'm always sticking up for the underdog (somebody use pop psychology on me!), but Monster is criminally underrated. By the time it came out, many people had already decided what REM should sound like, and a grungy, searing rock band was not it. However, Monster is the sound of REM having fun, and the lyrics remain as well-crafted as ever, while managing to fit the louder, harder music. I like the fact that Stipe and company don't go gentle into the good night...

Johnny Waco

• CC00002: Nirvana   14 years 14 weeks ago

I would agree that MTV Unplugged is the most accesible of their albums, but Nevermind, besides being familiar to most people, is also the most representative. This is who Nirvana was, and this is the album that kick-started grunge. MTV Unplugged shows a side of Cobain and Nirvana that may have have ended up being explored more fully had Cobain not killed himself, but considering that it was a posthumous release and so not something to be more fully developed, I have to go with Nevermind as the top choice.

Also, I would humbly like to submit that Incesticide is a much better compilation than most critics give it credit for being. It ends rather weakly but the first 2/3 of the album is quite strong and gives the first glimpse of Nirvana's skill at covering other bands' songs, a trait that would be brilliantly shown later on Unplugged.

Johnny Waco

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

Lester, I thought about Exile in Guyville, but I figured it wouldn't be considered a double album; I think it would definitely supplant The Fragile. Unfortunatele, a couple of your choices I haven't heard yet, and at least one (you know which one) I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to consider.

Johnny Waco

• Best Albums by the mighty METALLICA   14 years 14 weeks ago

Good to welcome a fellow "johnny" to the list, mr. lunger. I'm not a metallica expert by any means, but I would like to say that I like your placement of S&M; many people I know act that any combination of symphonies and complex metal bands is a match made in aural heaven--I quite disagree. By the way, didn't you once have a roommate who enjoyed the more country-influenced song on Load?

Johnny Waco

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

I would probably have to add Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, The Beatle's White Album, Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville (which I bet you didn't realize is considered a double album), Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, Prince's Sign O' the Times, R... Aw, forget it. I guess I'll have to start my own list!

Great fun!

• Essential Albums: Debuts   14 years 14 weeks ago

Great list! I may have to do my own version of this soon!

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 14 weeks ago

Ahhh...not a double album. I had a bit of a suspicion that maybe, just maybe it wasn't, but I couldn't remember which of Husker Du's albums were and which weren't. Thanks for pointing this out; I'm taking your suggestion for the revision.

Johnny Waco

• CC00006: Stanley Kubrick   14 years 14 weeks ago

I need to see more of these. I was a bit surprised at the mass number of tens here, but not shocked. Eyes Wide Shut should join this list by the end of the year, and yeah, I also predict rather average scores.

I do recommend Barry Lydon; slow for some, but absorbing to others, with gorgeous photography to boot.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 14 weeks ago

I thought you might like to see such an important number filled with The Byrds!

I have heard Byrdmaniax before, and for the most part, it probably deserves its low ranking. Too many of the songs are ruined by terrible over-dubbings. I haven't heard Farther Along or much of Easy Rider. I now definitely plan to explore the later before too long.

• CC00041: Joni Mitchell   14 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments; hearing from intelligent fans such as yourself certainly gives these lists an important balance.

I'm glad I've posted some lists that interest you. I'm always open to requests, so if you ever wish to see someone, just let me know.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 14 weeks ago

It's somewhat dated by now, but you should see The Coca-Cola Kid with Greta Scacchi.

• 10 Female Poets Who Are Far Superior To Adrienne Rich   14 years 14 weeks ago

I tend to find I like Adrienne Rich as a person, that is I like her prose, and I like articles about her life-- and while I feel I should like her poems, something in them doesn't speak to me. I don't really, however, see that as a slur on her poetic ability. I just don't happen to connect with her. Like Mr. Bangs, I can agree with some on your list, and disagree with others. I love Plath, Sexton, Bishop, Dickenson. I can live without Marianne Moore, but as with Rich, I don't believe that this means that she is a bad poet. I also like, old fashioned as this may be, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Anne Bradstreet and quite a bit of Christina Rossetti. I also like Margaret Atwood and Marge Piercy in the "modern" group.

Thanks for the list! Its nice to have more people to read (I'm not familiar with Bishop, Kumin or Lorde's works) :)

• Concerts I've Been To   14 years 14 weeks ago

maybe not that you WANT to, but that you have no choice but to?

• Concerts I've Been To   14 years 14 weeks ago

aren't the breeders live so good you want to pee in your pants?

• 10 Reasons Why "Infinite Jest" Remains The Most Frustrating Book Ever Written   14 years 14 weeks ago

what about #8, #4, and #3...?
    the footnotes, the footnotes, the footnotes.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 14 weeks ago

i received the nickname via the snide remark. thanks for the clarification, i did know, but i didn't think anyone would guess. i just thought it was a funny opening line. ah well, back to playing by the rules...

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 14 weeks ago

Alas, I knew my movie ignorance would come out sooner or later. I'm afraid my experience with classic movies is extremely limited. I have only seen a handful of the movies you mention. Thank you for your contribution, though, as my list is obviously lacking range.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 14 weeks ago

I had to do a quick check on IMDB to find out what movies he's been in, because I really know him best from tv (Simpsons and Newsradio being two of my favourite shows). I don't remember him really well in most of the movies there (eg. Stuart Saves His Family), but he was great in Greedy.

As a brief aside, his death was one of the few celebrity deaths that really affected me - I had just been saying a few days earlier that I love his comedy and was looking forward to more of his work.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 14 weeks ago

Argh, AOL bastiges. Instead of putting in extra logout links, let me just give you a logout URL. You can save this as a bookmark, and click on it to logout at will:

Or, if your browser supports it, you should just be able to drag this link to your bookmarks/favorites: Listology Logout.

So what was AOL's last word after failing to help you? Did they give you any cause for hope? Are you going to call back? Have you tried using the site with both cookies enabled and disabled, and has it failed in both cases?

Thanks for following up on this so diligently, and please keep me posted as to what you've tried, and what AOL has said might be the problem.