• Underrated 90s albums   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thank you for listing R.E.M.'s "Monster". I saw in the latest Maxim (a friend's! a friend's!) that Monster is on list of something like "worst albums ever". Personally I think it is one of their most atmospheric and one of their best. "Strange Currencies" is a great love song, and I like the message of "Tongue" and "Let Me In". I'm afraid I don't know many of the others on this list...looks like I need to get crackin' on some tunes...

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 7 weeks ago

oh dear god that wasn't what Instinct was about, was it? That makes me sad. No, I haven't seen it and now really , really, really don't plan to. Thanks for the warning...

• CC00010: David Bowie   14 years 7 weeks ago

I agree; his work with U2, Eno, and Gabriel is excellent, and his production / co-re-invention of Emmylou Harris on Wrecking Ball ranks as one of the greatest jobs behind the knobs I've heard in quite some time. I do think he went a bit far with Dylan's Time Out of Mind, layering sparse echoes and effects at points I would have prefer the sound brutally stripped down to Dylan's voice and instruments, but considering his excellent body of work, this is a very minor quibble.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 7 weeks ago

Yeah, I've been trying to think of a logical explanation for that one. Can't do it. "You'd have to be able to have both doors open to get something bigger than the airlock on the ship" was the best I came up with, but it doesn't quite cut it for me.

• If you enjoy movie trailers as much as I do (they,   14 years 7 weeks ago

I like the "no second half" rule. There should be a law.

• CC00010: David Bowie   14 years 7 weeks ago

While it's hard to know how much credit to give a producer, I've found alot of the stuff Daniel Lanois has worked on to be exceptional.

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   14 years 7 weeks ago

Trying to start fights already, eh?

Big Star is a great but over-rated band. I also am still trying to warm to Parsons' solo work. I'm liking it more, but I still don't love it like most critics do. The Allman Brothers are not my favorite, but you really should give Velvet Underground and Husker Du more of a chance. I also dig Talking Heads, Yo La Tengo, and some Madonna, but not enough to wrestle anybody over.

Great list.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

"I took a moment from my day and wrapped it up in things you'd say, and mailed it off to your address, you'll get it pretty soon I guess...you won't find moments in a box and someone else will set your clocks...."

• Underrated 90s albums   14 years 7 weeks ago

I completely forgot about Rocket and a Bomb! I'm shamelessly stealing it and putting it on my under-rated 90s lists, for I have no pride. I'm not the biggest Ezra fan, but I haven't heard much of the album you mention; I hear it is their best.

• CC00010: David Bowie   14 years 7 weeks ago

A producer CC would be very interesting, but it would also be an even bigger headache than the regular CC lists. Not only are most critical sources notorious for having incomplete producer data, making it hard to make a list of albums a producer has worked on, but the time spent shuffling between different artists to find criticism on that one or two albums a producer worked on would take forever, especially for prolific producers such as Sir Eno and T Bone Burnett. I may try this when I screw up more courage, but having just finished the massive Miles Davis CC, I admit to being a big coward right now!

Oh, and welcome, Johnny W!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

"I have tried so not to give in, I have said to myself this affair never gonna go so well, but why should I try to resist when baby I know so well..."

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

"You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughin' as you go, just remember that the last laugh is on you..."

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

"Don't you go, it makes no sense, and all these talkin' supermen just take away the time, just to get it away, ah, ain't it just like the rain..."

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   14 years 7 weeks ago

SONIC YOUTH? C'mon, Johnny, Daydream Nation is easily one of the best 20 rock albums ever made! Good God, man, are you insane?

By the way, I have started work on a 100 Greatest Rock Albums Ever list I plan to begin posting next week. You'll have plenty of opportunities to moan and shoot holes through it beginning then. I have been deeply inspired by your excellent American Rock list.

• 10 Essential Live Albums   14 years 7 weeks ago

Great list, including that great Elvis CD you stole right from under my nose! I'll sue!

Great CDs, all of which I love except for the Suicide - I've never heard it, but considering that I am not a fan, I'm in no hurry to submit myself to whatever 'pleasures' it may hold.

One question: Where is Chicago's classic Live at Carnegie Hall, Vols. 1-4?

L. Bangs (the world's greatest Chicago fan...and the tenth Dhali Lama)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

"I'm so alone tonight, my bed feels larger than when I was small, lost in memories, lost in all the sheets and old pillows, so alone tonight, miss you more than I will yet you know, miss the outline of your back, miss you breathing down my neck..."

• 10 Best 20th-Century American Poems   14 years 7 weeks ago

Fave poems by female poets?? Here are some of my faves (i.e. close to my heart, or poems I can read over and over and over and still love): Brenda Shaughnessy's "Fortune," "Postfeminism," and "Project for a Fainting;" Louise Glück's "Ceremony," "Anniversary," "The Letters," "Daisies," "Bridal Piece," and "Hesitate to Call;" Anne Sexton's "Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator," "Knee Song," and "Rapunzel;" Diane DiPrima's "Moon Mattress;" Alta's "Bitter Herbs;" Sharon Olds' "The Wedding Vow;" June Jordan's "Poem about My Rights"

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 7 weeks ago

EMMA - UGH! It is my least favorite of the Austen adaptations, w. A&E's Pride and Prejudice being my favorite, followed by Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility...
    BUT... I LOVE L.A. Story, agree about 8MM (it completely creeped me out)and really dug A Life Less Ordinary. Then again, Ewan singing is always good.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

"I learned my passion in the good-old fashioned, school of lover boys"
    This is one of my favorite lyrics from any song

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 7 weeks ago

If I could suggest a series about modern Great Britian, it would be one of my favorites, the "Pax Britannica" series by James/Jan Morris. It is about the Second British Empire and is a joy to read. I mention it esp because several chapters in the third volume "Farewell the Trumpets" concern themselves with the Easter Uprising in Ireland. The series is only about this Second Empire, however, so if it is earlier history you are interested in, I'm afriad this won't help. PS--James Morris changed his gender in the 1970's and now goes by Jan, but "Pax..." should be under James

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

I would love to see a new list; I'm afraid that in a surprisingly short amount of time a list like this gets too long to read properly. I'll cook up some new quotes if the new list is go!

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 7 weeks ago

I must admit that I have read more of LeGuin's short stories than her full novels. I am at the moment rereading The Wizard of Earthsea: I hadn't noticed that Harry Potter has a lot in common with it! I read recently that LeGuin has distanced herself from the Earthsea series, as if perhaps they were a mistake.
    In any case, I have not read The Left Hand of Darkness, so I can't say which is better. I like Lathe... because it touches on that common idea of wishing the problems of the world away.

• 100 Best American Rock Albums (2000 Edition)   14 years 7 weeks ago

As for the Band and Neil Young, I'm afraid Neil Young is definitely Canadian. If I were to claim The Band as American, it would only be because one of the members was an American. Even then, that might be stretching things a bit.

As for the best / favorite issue, I'm the wrong person to ask. Call me cocky, but I believe that if an album is someone's favorite, they should have the cajones to claim it as the best, excepting, of course, albums he or she may not have heard yet or sentimental reasons. Otherwise, you're either 1) judging by some criteria divorced from the total effect of the work of art (which, to me, is the ultimate measure) or 2) second-guessing the opinions of others. Most lists claiming to list great art as opposed to favorites are really giving entirely too much weight to influence and to the loftiness of subject matter, two elements I don't believe affect great art in a major way in and of themselves. For example, is Schindler's List better than Bringing Up Baby just because it tells an Holocaust story and Baby is simply a goofy comedy. I say no.

I don't see much use for either motive one or two above on a great art list.

Just my two cents...

• My Favorite Albums   14 years 7 weeks ago

I was surprised to see the Bacon Brothers album on here. When they first came I assumed they were a vanity project (ala Dogstar), but I've heard good things from a couple of different people about them. How would you describe their music?

Also, I totally agree on the inclusion of Wrecking Ball and the Trinity Sessions; those are two great albums.

Johnny Waco

• 100 Best American Rock Albums (2000 Edition)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks Les! Man, if only America had been graced with some Trip-Hop and Shoegazer, I could just die and go to Amero-centric heaven! But alas, guess I got to keep those Brits around. I also would consider the Band, but if I did I think Neil Young would have to be included; he seems just as American as the Band to me. What do you think?

You should definitely make one of these lists also. Oh, and by the way, if you really want to buy me some Prince and Beefheart, I'll send you my address;)

Johnny Waco

PS What do you think about Jim's question about the difference between best/favorite? I know that issue can be tricky. What do you think of my explanation? Does it hold water?