• Over the weekend,   14 years 9 weeks ago

I just found out CTHD isn't coming to a theater near me until January 19th, fer cryin' out loud. I so live in the sticks.

• BREAK-UP MUSIC: for a boy or a girl....   14 years 9 weeks ago

Solitude-Billie Holiday

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 9 weeks ago

Good point: I thought the cookie-cutter token white racist soldier and the token soulful slave trying to win his freedom was just plain old offensively cliched. The fact that Mel Gibson's character had to be such a "perfect" hero that even though he was a plantation owner in South Carolina the Africans who worked on his farm weren't slaves but just worked for his family made me say "Ug"

• Music for sista's with eclectic taste   14 years 9 weeks ago

Not a sista, but this bro loves the songs here he's heard before. I haven't heard 4 or 9 yet, but I really like this list. I was shocked by how much I enjoy Outkast's latest, though I do favor Homogenic or Debut as Bjork's best work.

• 0009: Cary Grant's Ten Best Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

Sorry, while I like Arsenic and Old Lace, I must also admit that it is one of the more disappointing films in Grant's work. I like it, but never as much as others seem to. I simply dig these ten film a bit more. I only watched Houseboat once years ago, and I wasn't very impressed.

Thanks for the comments!

• 0009: Cary Grant's Ten Best Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

Oh where, oh where is Arsenic and Old Lace. Still one of his best performances. Plus I always have enjoyed the one with Sophia Loren on a boat. "Houseboat" I think

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

Geoffrey Rush. Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth and some other's I can't remember at the moment. He's always excellent.

• Favorite Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

I agree with all on your list. I know it's your list but what about Morgan Freeman. He can always be counted on to give a great performance. (Lean on Me, The Shawshank Redemption, Driving Miss Daisy)

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 9 weeks ago

The most amusing thing for me were the "Masterpiece Theatre" african-americans. I'm black and I don't think we are that sensitive. I mean legally we couldn't learn to read or write. I think most of the black people in The Patriot spoke better than most southern whites at that time.

• Music for sista's with eclectic taste   14 years 9 weeks ago

I was shocked by how much I loved Outkast's album too. The first two I listened to once or twice and that was it. I love everything by Bjork. I just felt Post was most unified. Jill Scott is a singer/spoken word artist. This album is singing. I don't know if you've listened to The Roots, but their song "You got Me" was co-written by her.

• Favorite Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

But of course... For some reason, I always get those two mixed up. Sorry 'bout that!

• My Movie Links   14 years 9 weeks ago

Yeah, I agree with you there. But check out Carfax,s links. Some awesome sights.

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 9 weeks ago

From my few listens of the album, I can definitely relate to your comments about Songs in the Key of Life. That album has some terrific songs on it, even if it also contains some less than stellar work.

My positive opinion about you still stands, even if I love Murmur and Automatic for the People. I'm not a fan of everything REM has produced.

I do like the Temptations quite a bit, but millions of albums, 100 slots... sigh.

Gasoline Alley is also an excellent disc, and it was on my original 200 album list I cut down to these 100 albums.

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 9 weeks ago

"Songs in the Key of Life" could have been top 20 if he had made it only one album. Editing, Editing, Editing...

I would think the Temptations Anthology should be there somewhere. Take out the REM stuff, pretentious preening that it is..

I am sure that will lessen any positive opinions you may have been forming about me.

I love Rod's Gasoline Alley too.

Jim

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 9 weeks ago

I'm impressed. You're right. I wasn't sure if anyone was ever going to guess that one.

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Motown. My hardest challenge with Motown is that my favorite material from the label is strewn between several different artists and albums. I couldn't find one single album to put on this list. Of course, I don't have every Motown compilation created. Perhaps the perfect 'Motown Story' is out there somewhere. I just haven't found it yet. For what it's worth, Smokey Robinson's Anthology and Stevie Wonder's Innervisions almost made the list. I hate to admit it, but I am still not as up on Wonder as I need to be. I plan on purchasing several of his albums soon, and I'm willing to bet that at least one Wonder album will make it onto this list whenever I get around to revising.

One life, so many albums to hear... Ah, well.

Thanks again. Great to hear from another fan who remembers Rod when he was great.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 9 weeks ago

Oh how could I have missed 37: "Great Apes" Will Self

Loved this and most of this guys stuff. I highly recommend.

Jim

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 9 weeks ago

"You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" What a beautiful, sad, cynical song. Gets me every time. A man's been hurt so many times that when he finally does find something good, he can only regret the day he is sure it must all come to an end. Besides, who can resist Dylan singing, "You're going to make me give myself a good talkin' to."

Thank you very much for the kind words. Hearing that you will give Heard and Adam Again a shot is frankly the first time that the weeks I spent writing up this list have seemed worth the effort. Be sure to inform me of your reactions to the albums. I promise you won't hurt my feelings if you don't like them!

Again, I appreciate your comments.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 9 weeks ago

55. "Girlfriend in A Coma" Douglas something...Copley maybe..

Good book, ending is a little weak.

Jim

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

I really don't know how I managed to leave him out. I haven't seen Elizabeth but I loved him in Shakespeare in Love. Thanks for the input.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 9 weeks ago

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. You're right, he's great.

• Songs with days of the week in the title, please add more!   14 years 9 weeks ago

"10:15 Thursday Morning" Hollies. I am afraid I showing my age.

Jim

I didn't see any Wednesdays so how about "Wednesday morning 3 am" Simon and Garfunkel

• 0015: The 100 Best Rock Albums (81-90)   14 years 9 weeks ago

I am glad to see Tom Petty on the list, Ditto Rod Stewart, though I would put Every Picture much higher. My question is-Where's Motown? Just for their rythm section alone they deserve some mention. Temptations, Four Tops at least Smokey?

Once again great list.

Jim

• literary songs   14 years 9 weeks ago

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man ("F. Scott Fitzgerald")
    Bob Dylan - Desolation Row (Mentions the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Romeo, Ophelia, Cinderella, Ezra Pound, and T.S. Eliot )