• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 11 weeks ago

Granted Sebreg, good music has came from every decade. When compiling this list I didnt notice that the majority came from the 60's. I guess it is a testament of just how extroardinary that decade was.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

Good job DaveMog. I'm pleasantly happily glad to see you know them.

• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 11 weeks ago

Well, I don't know Carole King's music so I can't comment on that but all the other albums are great except for the fact that I don't personally love the Stones. My only problem is that the best music was not just made in the 60's, there are a lot of other great decades and groups that should be recognized. Is this list based on how influential the band was, their innovations, talent, how much you like their music, or a mixture of the previous. I'm guessing its a mixture but you never know.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

7 Six days (and actually, both Trent and Sue say "six days" simultaneously)
    15 Francis Sawyer ("any of you guys call me Francis, I'll kill ya")

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

Correct Les..Correct.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

20 - Leslie Caron
    21 - She was a writer who penned, among other films, Adam's Rib.
    22 - Patty Duke

Sorry, i just can't help myself today.

• Film Review : ERIN BROCKOVICH * 1/2   15 years 11 weeks ago

If you enjoyed it, I am happy. You are my friend and you are the bomb!!!!!!!!!!

• Favorite Layperson's Science and Math Books   15 years 11 weeks ago

I didn't find him particularly condescending to laypeople, but he was certainly condescending to theists. It was unnecessary and distracting (and in my opinion, misguided (and I'm agnostic, fer cryin' out loud)). But I still recommend it. The chapter where he describes the complexity of echolocation in bats is just incredible.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

I figured you would know that one. That's right bangsometertron!

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 11 weeks ago

I sent you an email explaining my reasons for this a bit more. Check your box. You'll get a better idea of what goes into these guides and just how hectic it can get.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

Okay, she thought she was gone for 16 hours and there were 12 hours of static? Oh shoot. Or was it 8 hours of static? Oh well, I'll have to make it a blockbuster night. I was planning on buying Contact anyway.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 11 weeks ago

Ooh, you said the magic words with "hated the book." My wife read it and hated it as well, so your sharing that view ups the chances that I'll actually be able to get it into the player. :-)

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 11 weeks ago

Of course, Les. Just keep me updated, I'm interested.

• Favorite Action Scenes/Sequences   15 years 11 weeks ago

Ah, I think you're right. Those might be the scenes to choose from Aliens and The Fugitive. I'm still going to see them again one of these days, so I'll make the final call then.

As for Raising Arizona, I do think it qualifies as an action scene (guns, cars, etc.), and a good scene it is, but at the risk of incurring your wrath, I don't think it makes the cut for this list.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

17 - I know John Ford won four of the Babies, for The Quiet Man, How Green was My Valley, Grapes of Wrath, and (I believe) the Informer. Oddly, the master of the westerns never won a Director Oscar for a western!
    18 - He read their lips.

I've no idea on 15, 16, or 19.

• Favorite Action Scenes/Sequences   15 years 11 weeks ago

I've already got 'em on my list! I'll get the DVD from NetFlix when I sign up (I've sworn to finish my construction projects first, otherwise they'll never get done :-).

• Film Review : ERIN BROCKOVICH * 1/2   15 years 11 weeks ago

Blackie, I think you missed the point. The film was not pointing her out to be a genius. It was merely pointing out her will to survive and her determination given the hand she had been dealt. All you needed to know about her was presented. Sure the movie could have gone more into her past life, but that would be an entirely seperate film. I thought at times she was obnoxious and her unruly behavior was misplaced, but I guess that was her personality. I give EB ***. All in all a well made film and finely acted. Of course you now, this is just my opinion...

• Favorite Action Scenes/Sequences   15 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks! One at a time . . .

Hard Boiled: I really liked the break in the mayhem where our hero and villain come to an unspoken agreement to get the patients out of a room upon which the mayhem erupts again (at least, that's the way I remember it).

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Actually by "shrine fight" I meant the scene where Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang fight, and Yeoh goes through like 5 different weapons. I'll make that clearer above.

70s Chase Scenes: I have to rewatch The French Connection (thusly recorded, and I never saw $. Should I?

The Killer: I have to admit, I never really liked this one as much as Hard Boiled. Perhaps because I saw the latter first. I do remember the final scene as being pretty cool, but it didn't make as big an impression on my as the hospital scene.

From Russia With Love: Sadly, the Bond movies have blended together in my mind (actually they've clumped - there's the Connery clump, the Moore clump, the Brosnan clump, and the "other" clump). I'm sure you're right about the scene, but I can't place it.

Mask of Zorro: Yes! Thanks for the reminder. Can't pick a particular scene at the moment though.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 11 weeks ago

Les, some of the other guys beat ya' to the punch on some of these, but you still get 4,9,11,13, and 14. I've posted more.

• Favorite Layperson's Science and Math Books   15 years 11 weeks ago

Jim, I tried to read Dawkin's Unweaving the Rainbow and found his style to be supremely condescending to those who aren't 100% pure hard science people. Is The Blind Watchmaker in a similar style? Is that when you mean about his atheist overtones?

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 11 weeks ago

Ive seen lots and lots of movies the blessings of an insominiac I guess.

Actually as to this list I have seen everyone on them

I agree with a lot of your assessmnets(What a surprise) but I highly recommend Zorro and 8MM. Zorro I saw in the theatre and was totally shocked how good it was...Zeta Jones had so much promise in this flick. I hope some day she lives up to it. Amazing thing about 8MM I read dsomewhere Gandolfini though this was the worst movie he made. So it wasnt only the critics who missed the point of this flick. Harcore with George C. Scott is another great choice in this venue.

I agree whole heartedly on the Rope. Great Hitchcock with some of his best deadpan humor.

I loved Being There but I am not sure you can call it under-rated. I remeber it being a critical and I also think a small commercial success when it came out.

As to Hal Hartley, I obviously know your appreciation for him, so I have stayed away from discussing him too much. I am a fan, I loved Trust and Amateur. I always think of him as a Jazz Director, You know mood peices that seems to meander about but you always enjoy the trip. As Jazz is a specialized taste for only certain times, I can extend the correlation to Hartley's films.

• R.E.M.'s Great Songs   15 years 11 weeks ago

I like that song..This was a hard list to make 'cuz I'm such a big fan of Rapid Eye Movement.

• Songs that I thought were innocent as a child....   15 years 11 weeks ago

It seems like their is a debate on this song as I looked it up on the Internet. Is the man impotent or is the woman frigid? Another reason to like the song anyone who can put ambiguity into a 3 minute pop song is pretty cool. I would have swore that it was tne man who was impotent but when Freda first read the song she said Im not singing a song that says Im frigid.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 11 weeks ago

I pretty much agree with your last sentence. I probably do like Ordinary People and Quiz Show better than Horse Whisperer, but they already have oodles of critical attention. I feel like The Horse Whisperer has been unjustly ignored.

I also should warn everybody that I am a man of amazing patience. As long as something is involving me, I don't usually mind three-hour films. Of course, most three-hour films cannot begin to justify their lengths and cease to be involving after the hour mark, but I though The Horse Whisperer earned its three hours. Still, beware. If you hate long films, this probably won't change your mind.

I'm glad you liked the film. I was curious whether you had seen it or not.

An odd thing I just discovered - When the film ran in the theater, the opening New York scenes were severely cropped (I believe the aspect was close to television's boxy dimensions) to create a cramped, crammed feeling. When the film slid into the West, the film became gloriously wide-screeened. It is too bad that the DVD did not recreate this effect, remaining wide-screened throughout the entire film.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 11 weeks ago

My two cents on The Horse Whisperer says you should see it. I can not totally agree that the length is understandable, I would like to have seen 20 or 30 minutes cut off but it is well done for its story of Reedford/little Girl and Horse more than Redford and Scott Thomas story. I liked the movie but I like the other three you mentioned more.