• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm glad we agree on a few!

I have admitted that Led Zeppelin is extremely influential, and I'll even give you that they created some very good music (IV is on my top 100 albums list). They are, however, often treated as rock gods, on par with the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who. I simply disagree. They were not quite as great as most would proclaim them.

And no, neither Beatles or Oasis will join this list ;). The Beatles are as good as their reputation implies, while Oasis is largely viewed as a joke in America, which makes it very hard to be over-rated.

Thanks for the comments!

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 6 weeks ago

Many thanks for this list and the interesting and informative critical history.

Youngsters: to appreciate The Beatles it helps a lot if your were a teenager during the sixties (which, of course, you weren't). At their peak, The Fab Four were, as John naughtily pointed out, more popular than Jesus Christ.

• Favorite Albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

Catatonia are from Wales--and very proud of it. In fact, on their (I believe) first album "International Velvet"--where you can find "Road Rage" and "Mulder and Scully"--the lyrics to the song "International Velvet" are, "Everyday when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh." "International Velvet" is great, but their second album, "Equally Cursed and Blessed," is even better.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 6 weeks ago

Sounds familiar, jim. It's an sf story, I think (it would nearly have to be sf for me to recognise it).

Ah, yes, I know it. Just went to my bookshelves to confirm. But this is too much of a gift. Before I claim it I'll give others a chance with the following hints. It's the author's best-known novel, and its author inspired another author, Kurt Vonnegut Jr, to name one of his characters "Kilgore Trout".

Come in, #51, your time is up! PAINGOD by Harlan Ellison.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 6 weeks ago

Don't take this the wrong way, but...you like Paul Verhoeven?
    I've seen most of his films (I missed 'The Hollow Man') in the theater. I have also seen them over and over numerous times on Cable. And all I can say is that Paul Verhoeven seems like one "tasteless" individual.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   14 years 6 weeks ago

I don't consider Zeppelin overrated. First of all they had some of the best music out there while at the same time influencing the whole rock genre for generations to come. In Zeppelin's place I think you should put someone like the Beatles or Oasis. I do agree with the choice of Floyd, Pumpkins, and Dave is a given.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 6 weeks ago

Hello, All,
    I finally saw Crouching Tiger and Cast Away last weekend (both on Saturday the 13th). Cast Away was decent but Crouching Tiger is definitely
    one of the best films of the year as is Ang Lee's direction. I'll be adding both of them to the tally.

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 6 weeks ago

Or Cat's Cradle.

As for Gravity's Rainbow, I had a high school English teacher dare us to read it. I bought a copy, read a tiny bit, and put it down. 6 years later a friend semi-bribed me to read it. I did manage to finish it, but can't stay I entirely enjoyed it.

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 6 weeks ago

No doubt the Beatles are good. I have quite a few of their albums but I have to say that I easily get tired of listening to them. This may be because I've been listening to them since I was three.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 6 weeks ago

Hey, Phreak!
    It's happening. Here is some info.

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 6 weeks ago

now is there really a whole lot of difference between medievil torture and the Dentist?

• "002": Top 20 Bands   14 years 6 weeks ago

All songs on "Loose Nut"; All songs on "The First Four Years" except "American Waste"; All songs on "Slip It In" except "My Ghetto"; Damaged:Six Pack; Damaged:Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie; Damaged:Depression; Damaged:Damaged II; Damaged:No More; Damaged:Life Of Pain; Damaged: Dameged I; All songs on "Jealous Again"; My War:My War; My War:Can't Decide; My War:The Swinging Man; My War:Nothing Left Inside; My War:Scream; Who's Got The 10 1/2?:This Is Good; Who's Got The 10 1/2?:Jam; Who's Got The 10 1/2?:The Best One Yet

• "002": Top 20 Bands   14 years 6 weeks ago

All songs on "Loose Nut"
    All songs on "The First Four Years" except "American Waste"
    All songs on "Slip It In" except "My Ghetto"
    Damaged:Six Pack
    Damaged:Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
    Damaged:Depression
    Damaged:Damaged II
    Damaged:No More
    Damaged:Life Of Pain
    Damaged: Dameged I
    All songs on "Jealous Again"
    My War:My War
    My War:Can't Decide
    My War:The Swinging Man
    My War:Nothing Left Inside
    My War:Scream
    Who's Got The 10 1/2?:This Is Good
    Who's Got The 10 1/2?:Jam
    Who's Got The 10 1/2?:The Best One Yet

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 6 weeks ago

There. This and the Francis Ford Coppola entries are what I hope all the Ultimate Guides will look like eventually, with the critical histories in the author's comments field. Let me know what you think.

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 6 weeks ago

Simply marvelous. You should do this for a living. In fact, I'd happily pay you for the great content you provide if I could (we'll talk again if some VC offers me millions for this site :-). I'll ashamedly admit to not being much of a Beatles fan, but you make me want to give them another shot.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 6 weeks ago

"The idiot lived in a black and grey world, punctuated by the white lightning of hunger and the flickering of fear."

• MELANIE'S (SAFKA) MOST BEAUTIFUL SONGS:   14 years 6 weeks ago

Hey. I like the list. I am not sure what this site is all about.

mcpnewfie@hotmail.com

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 6 weeks ago

I totally agree with you on Gravity's Rainbow. It had a couple of amazing moments, but generally it was way over my head. Like a dentist appointment, huh? Well I thought it was more like classical medieval torture. Unfortunately, unlike you I don't feel as if I gained anything by reading that novel. On the other hand, Slaughterhouse 5 is one of my favorite books. If you had trouble with that I recommend you start reading Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.

• Books I've tried to read but couldn't   14 years 6 weeks ago

Did you get through Ulysses?
    Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon was the most difficult book I ever read. Kind of like a dentist appointment. I hated it every minute I was doing it, but felt it was good for me once it was over. I have not tried another Pynchon novel since.

I would recommend you try Slaughterhouse again.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 6 weeks ago

unless of course it is "camera" by R.E.M.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 6 weeks ago

#33 must be "letter never sent" by R.E.M.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 6 weeks ago

#38 is "Across the Universe" by the Beatles...I think

• The BIG NEWS today is that this is the first anniv   14 years 6 weeks ago

Happy anniversary! Sorry about the US-centric date. Perhaps in the new version I'll try to track your geographic location based on IP address, figure the timezone, and set the date accordingly . . . Mmmmaybe not (replies will start showing up before questions, which will be very unnerving :-).

BTW, I'm thinking the new version will be up by March 1.

BTBTW, I just added More Than Human to the list you mentioned. Fire Upon the Deep will be the next science fiction I read.

• The BIG NEWS today is that this is the first anniv   14 years 6 weeks ago

15th??? OOPS! Well, it is the 16th already where I live.

• People I'd like to hear read Green Eggs and Ham   14 years 6 weeks ago

I want to hear old golden throat himself SING it...