• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 8 weeks ago

Hey, L.,

More than what films and roles you feel will be nominated I would be interested in knowing what films and roles were your favorites of the year.

Maybe I should change name the of the this list?

Thanks,
    Dan

Oh yeah, I bet Steven Soderbergh gets a nomination for Best Director, officially for Erin Brockovich but also for his long neglected work in independent film and as a "Sorry we were so stupid," for completely ignoring Out of Sight a few years back. Perhaps Susannah Grant and Richard LaGravenese will get noms for Screenplay as well...

I have an unfortunate feeling that Christian Bale will be over-looked this time around, due to both the violent reputation of American Psycho and the fact that few apparently saw the film. Julia Roberts will most likely be nominated for Erin Brockovich, and if Boys Don't Cry's indie win last year is any sign, I suspect Michelle Rodriguez stands a shot for Best Actress for her role in Girlfight.

Cameron Crow certainly has an excellent chance at Best Director for Almost Famous. I wonder if Wonder Boys will give Curtis Hanson a second nomination for Best Director and perhaps Michael Douglas a bid for Best Actor. It was released very early in the year, but the film's upcoming re-release might refresh voters' minds.

Does Bjork stand a chance at Best Actress for Dancer in the Dark? Perhaps.... She and Bob Dylan (Wonder Boys) certainly have shot at Best Song. In fact, I wager that the Academy will be more than pleased to give Dylan an Oscar.

Perhaps Chicken Run could nab a Best Picture nomination. I'd be happy.

While High Fidelity will be largely over-looked, an Adapted Screenplay nomination is surely not out of the question.

Just a few thoughts...

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 8 weeks ago

Hey, congratulations!! And thanks for the compliment on the list! You were right on all but #21...keep guessing!

• The American Film Institute just   14 years 8 weeks ago

Never apologize for updating your lists frequently. :)

Ooops. Sorry I was confused. Your new title should keep this from happening again.

I never really answer these questions until a full year as passed. Living in middle America, I simply never get to see the great winter-released, Oscar-primed films until well into the next year (when they finally get released here), so I inevitably end up ruing my answers. As it stand right now, though, I'll throw in my vote for Best Picture to Almost Famous, although Chicken Run comes very close.

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 8 weeks ago

There's a classic vomit scene in Heathers, as I recall:

Heather Chandler: I brought you to a Remington party and what's my thanks? It's on a hallway carpet. I got paid in puke.

Veronica: Lick it up baby, lick it up...

• Songs I'd like to tap dance to   14 years 8 weeks ago

It depends on who you ask. 8^) I'm okay; I've not had as many lessons as I'd like. But, there's a workshop coming up with Sam Weber that I'm going to, so...

• Bad Movies I LOVE!   14 years 8 weeks ago

"XANADU (Olivia Newton-John plays a roller-skating Greek muse. Need I say more?)"

Well, I would mention Gene Kelly's dancing, but then, I wouldn't call Xanadu a bad movie to begin with. (Blasphemer! 8^)

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 8 weeks ago

Ugghhh. 'Course, if you've got a dog, you're used to that sort of thing.

(Digression: one of the funniest things I've ever read was a bit by Dave Barry where he's surmising what goes through a dog's mind: "Hmmm. Might be food, might not. I guess I'll go ahead and eat it; I can always throw it up later." (paraphrased) 8^)

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 8 weeks ago

Now that was cool, though I've not seen all the movies. Thanks!

(Not, mind you, that I'm particularly into vomit, but I do like odd ways of looking at things.)

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 8 weeks ago

No list of Australian films would be complete without:

Picnic at Hanging Rock - a subtle atmospheric film about the unexplained disappearance of a group of school girls on a Picnic at Hanging Rock, Victoria on Valentines Day 1900. Picnic at Hanging Rock occupies a seminal place in Australian History and is one not to be missed.

Two more from Jane Campion (director of Piano and Holy Smoke):

An Angel at My Table - based upon the autobiography of Janet Frame, a New Zealand Author it tells the story of her growing up, her incarceration in a Mental Institute, and her struggle to be recognised as a writer.

Sweetie - the story of two sisters in thier twenties and how they grew up - the gangly quiet Kay and the plump dominant, not too mention seriuosly mentally ill Sweetie. The film looks at the realtionship between the two and how the roots of Sweeties Illness have also affected Kay.

Both these films, along with the later Piano, share a common thread in thier exploration of women's experience as outsider (as well as mental illness). Both are superb, if challenging films that are well worth watching. It is also worth noting the way colour is used in Campions films. Much of Sweetie looks as if it is being viewed on a TV with the colour turned right up - cf the Piano's use of blue and brown overcasts achieved by heavy use of colour filters.

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 8 weeks ago

Football bores me to tears, so I haven't seen Any Given Sunday, though my brother-in-law liked it. Stand by Me is a classic, even without the barf. (And it has a Land Rover in it!)

"Almost Famous" is definitely my favorite for Best Picture this year. Though I'm sure I've missed a lot of good possibilities, I've seen this film three times now, and it's only gotten better. It's extremely well-written, well-acted, well-directed, well-edited, and comes straight from the heart. When you watch this film you feel more like you're sharing an experience than viewing something from afar. Kate Hudson and (damn I forgot his name!) but the actor who plays young Cameron Crowe should be nominees for acting.

Another film which should receive substantial recognition is "Requiem for a Dream" which MUST be nominated for Cinematography, Editing, and especially Ellen Burstyn should probably win Best Supporting Actress this year. Her performance is phenomenal.

Other than that Christian Bale in "American Psycho" and Russell Crowe in "Gladiator" both impressed me. It would be a shame if either of these films wasn't considered "serious" enough to warrant nominees.

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 8 weeks ago

First, I have to give you a hand for including the often overlooked but intoxicatingly brilliant sound collage artist Amon Tobin. Be sure to check out his previous album, Permutation if you haven't already. Another artist you might like if you dig Tobin's work is St. Germain, who released an LP entitled Tourist about three months ago. So far, I've read nothing but glowing listener reviews.

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 8 weeks ago

You guys might be interested in these pages. And they even include video clips!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go talk to the toilet.

• Seen in 2001   14 years 8 weeks ago

I've just watched U-571, and I agree with you fully: merely adequate.

• currently reading   14 years 8 weeks ago

I've got a SF book club edition I got several years ago and had never gotten around to reading. I've enjoyed all of the Pratchett I"ve read so far and I'm not much of a fantasy person either.

• books i need to read (ie, my unread pile at home)   14 years 8 weeks ago

I'm sure I'll read it for completeness sake. I've read almost all of the books he's written.

• BAMU2. [Present] Bands (and Musicians): I Like and Own At Least One Album   14 years 8 weeks ago

I believe it was first referenced in Michael Nesmith's (he of the Monkees) movie "Elephant Parts" as in "The Foundation for The Tragically Hip -- poor, afflicted people in need of jacuzzis,
    Lamborghinis and cocaine."

I've always thought of "The Tragically Hip" as a great name for a band.

• books i need to read (ie, my unread pile at home)   14 years 8 weeks ago

I'd say you can give Otherness a miss. I loved Brin's Earth (except the end) and Startide Rising, though.

• currently reading   14 years 8 weeks ago

Cool about Guards! Guards!. My wife (not a fantasy person) and I (not much of a fantasy person anymore) both recently read and loved the "Watch" books of Discworld.

BTW, where did you get your copy? I tried to find one as a gift and struck out at Amazon and Bibliofind.

• My Suggestions: Movies to Watch [Required]   14 years 8 weeks ago

Hey, I just noticed that The Big Lebowski is the only Coen Brothers movie on either this list or your "Recommended" list. Have you seen their others? I've seen 'em all so far, and while I thought TBL was okay, I think it was the weakest of their oeuvre (God I love working that word in - such a marvelous vowel:consonant ratio).

• Narrative Feature Films: 2000: Old   14 years 8 weeks ago

I like the new format of this list.