• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 3 weeks ago

Anybody else a bit shocked at Stalag 17's relatively low showing? Apparently, the critics aren't quite as in love with this film as they once were...

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 3 weeks ago

i was actually accessing listology through compuserve when i received the web error message....

• How's this for exciting . . . This Friday will be   14 years 3 weeks ago

The "restored, reconstructed" version of "Spartacus" shows just how much spectacle "Gladiator" stole from its 1960 ancestor. Director Kubrick had to line up literally thousands of people for his big battle scenes, which were tense without being excessively bloody. Scott would probably have 100 real people computer-cloned to make thousands for the same kind of scene.

Kirk Douglas was a wonderful slave leader (ignoring the then-fashionable crewcut). Tony Curtis was seriously miscast--but Ustinov was a real joy and the obvious inspiration for the gladiator trader in "Gladiator." Anybody else care to compare the two??

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 3 weeks ago

Oh, by the way, I have to say that I agree with your opinions concerning the outcome of the CC list. Actually, there are quite a few films I could lower a point or two, not to mention a few (Rope, for example), I could elevate a bit. I'll only disagree about Frenzy and Family Plot; I guess I am one of those old, cranky critics who can pass on anything Hitchcock created after the Birds, although Frenzy is easily one of the best of that later batch.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 3 weeks ago

Perhaps I will read it again, but I somewhat doubt I will enjoy it more. Perhaps you have mistaken assumptions concerning my intelligence? ;)

R&GAD is interesting but, ultimately, in my opinion, borrows too much to strike me quite the way it does other readers / viewers. It is hardly the first work to tackle the questions you mentioned above, and I simply don't find the humor or insights very novel or effective. If I were to like a play by Stoppard, it would probably be Travesties. I started reading it once, and although I haven't finished it yet, I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it. I found his tweakings of history and literature much more amusing and insightful in this work.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliments! Pi also disturbed and frustrated me, but I cannot say it bored me or pissed me off. You'll have to catch the rest of Casino, since I belive the film improves drastically as it progresses. Malkovich did lose steam toward the end, and who knows, maybe next year and a few viewings later it will vanish from this list. I'll have to see it again.

As for Life is Beautiful, I can understand your reservations. At the same time, I also understand the healing quality of humor, even in the bleakest circumstances, and the desire to mock the Nazis into total obscurity (a technique Mel Brooks' also tried in the Producers). I still love it, but a few of my best friends do not, and I can respect that, even if I can't agree.

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 3 weeks ago

The Lady from Shanghai has gained much critical ground this decade (I doubt it would have gained a 10 if I had compiled this list in 1990), although reviews for it nearly always contain a warning that it is one of Welles' most difficult films. I have only seen about half of it, but what I have seen, I liked.

• CC00004: Michael Curtiz   14 years 3 weeks ago

The fact that he has helmed so many great films (Casablanca is particularly well-loved) yet is rarely discussed is probably the reason I chose to attack Curtiz early. I also have yet to see Yankee Doodle Dandy, and I had to leave for work early this morning before TCM finished their airing of Mildred Pierce! I'll have to finish that one up some time; what I watched I enjoyed.

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 3 weeks ago

Hey, are you peeking at my to-do list?

Billy Wilder is next on the list, with Scorsese and Kubrick close behind. I believe Spielberg is also up there pretty high. Capra and Ford were a little bit further down, but since you mentioned them, I'll move them up. I love requests.

Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully, I'll have Wilder up by mid-day tomorrow.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 3 weeks ago

Of the bug reports, this one is representative:

Every time i try to click on "my lists" to create a list, i get this error.

UNSUPPORTED WEB VERSION
    This Web page could not be opened. This page was created using pre-HTTP/1.0 specifications, which are not supported by this Internet online service. Please contact the owner of this Web page for more information.

Here's the help I could use: If you know how to solve this problem, please tell me! :) Or, more realistically, if you're getting this bug, could you please tell me the operating system and AOL version you are using. Also, if AOL allows you to use a browser other than the one built into their service, please try that and let me know if you have the same problem.

The thing I find puzzling/troubling is that the "my lists" feature doesn't do anything different from any of the other links (in fact, it's the same script!), yet it seems to be the only one causing problems. So if you have problems with other links (like "my profile"), please let me know that as well (in fact, if you're having the "my lists" problem, try "my profile" and let me know if that works or not).

Please post all reports here, so I have them all in one place.

• BREAK-UP MUSIC: for a boy or a girl....   14 years 3 weeks ago

saddest breakup song ever "haleh" by mazzy star (first track from album with swan in the title that i forget") but the song is unmistakingly beautiful in a not-too-cheesy way.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 3 weeks ago

"i slapped the bitch" -- from 66 laps by leslie lehr spirson.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 3 weeks ago

The play is better than the film, but neither really interested me much. Again, lots of Shakespeare in-jokes, which largely accounts for its high esteem with educated people. They enjoy encountering material they have studied in a novel setting. Too bad Stoppard has not a whit of the Bard's talent.

Um. Perhaps you should read it again? Let's just say that for now, you are about as wrong as I have ever seen an otherwise inteligent person be.

Stoppard doesn't have Shakespeare's lyrical beauty, no one does. However, he does pack a punch, with clever, insightful, and witty dialogue. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is easily one of the best plays written this century.

So there's a couple clever plays on Shakespeare, that's not what people love about this play. The play isn't really about Hamlet at all. It's about life, and death, and everything that's done to you in between. On one hand, it's a philosophically despairing work that asks the questions "Why are we here?", "What is death?", and "What will become of us?" On the other hand, it's a comic work that plays off a classic to answer those questions with: you're a bit part in a grand drama whose fate is to obediently trot back and forth on the stage until you are finally sent off to your deaths.

• Favourite Vonnegut List   14 years 3 weeks ago

Mother Night is my favorite; When I finished reading it for the first time, I flipped back to the start of the book and started reading from the beginning again. (I know some people do this habitually, but for me it's a one-time thing.)

Next would come Breakfast of Champions, and then a three-way tie between Cat's Cradle, Player Piano, and Slaughterhouse Five.

After that, who knows. I do like Bluebeard a bit. I guess Sirens of Titan is better though.

• Humorous mystery authors   14 years 3 weeks ago

Thank you for the tip. It looks like I have a lot more mysteries to read! :). Have you tried Rita Mae Brown/Sneaky Pie Brown's Mrs. Murphy series? Perhaps it is appealing only to those of us with cats, but it, too, does not gruesomely detail crimes that come all to close to things that may happen to us.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 3 weeks ago

I remain suspicious because CompuServe is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AOL, so I imagine they have shared components.

In any case, if everybody reading this would be willing to click on "my lists" right now and login (if necessary), that would be great. If you have problems, please report them here.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 3 weeks ago

I will definitely add "Coming Home." I think I had a mental block with that one, as I'm not the biggest Fonda fan around. I have not seen "The Men"...thanks for the suggestion.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 3 weeks ago

I would also add Coming Home with Fonda and Voight, The Men with Brando, and Best Years of our Lives although the handicapped character is a subplot.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   14 years 3 weeks ago

I love both Lock Stock and Before Sunrise; totally agree with your sentiments on both. Pi disturbed, annoyed, frustrated, bored, and pissed me off. Worst of all, my friend would not let me fall asleep in the theater. Lost Children and English Patient are both excellent, and Emma is very good. I have not seen Fireworks, and I had to walk out of Casino, time constraints and annoying patrons, but I typically love Scorsese besides Bringing Out the Dead, yuk. I thought the first half of Malkovich was great, and the second half lost a lot of momentum for me. However, tons of people love Malkovich and Life is Beautiful which is a complete mockery of Holocaust concentration camps. Therefore, I find it unwatchable despite it being one of the best movies to showcase a father's love for his child. Nevertheless, I still think Benigni is a great filmmaker and performer, Monster and Johnny Steccino are wonderful.

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 3 weeks ago

I am surprised that Lady from Shanghai is a 10. It is very good, but I have never heard it discussed with the Big Three.

• CC00004: Michael Curtiz   14 years 3 weeks ago

I never realized he directed so many. I've seen 4 of top 5, no YDD yet. Also 2 more in the top 10, CotLB and LwF. How many have you seen?

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 3 weeks ago

I neglected to read that these ratings were solely based on critics. My bad! Anyway, still great job, and ditto on Vertigo.

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 3 weeks ago

Of all the 10s, the only one I was disappointed with was Vertigo. I might also move FC and LV down one point, but that is being nit-picky. I like seeing Wrong Man so high; I believe it is highly underrated. It's very intense and an easy movie to identify with. No surprise on the low grades of UC, I Confess, and TPC; aal 3 were extremely disappointing and rather dull. I am fond of both Frenzy and Family Plot; however, they are not masterpieces compared to the great ones. I have not seen many early Hitchcock's although I did enjoy Number 17 and Murder. Bottom line, excellent job on the list. Have you considered Billy Wilder, Spielberg, Kubrick, Capra, or John Ford lists?

• My favorite quirky movies on a low budget   14 years 3 weeks ago

i had to sit through it twice to really get into it...definitely wasn't into it the first time. Hmmmm...I'll have to ponder this one. :0

• 10 Unfortunate Celebrity Paychecks   14 years 3 weeks ago

I really enjoyed Snipes in "The Waterdance"...I thought he pulled off his role of a not-so-well paraplegic pretty well.