• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 7 weeks ago

And I eagerly await your analysis and insights. I greatly respect your vast knowledge and unique yet superior taste in rock music. I am sure to find your comments enlightening. Thanks for spending the time to read them and to comment on them.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Hey Mr. Bangs, I'm eagerly printing off these exhaustive commentaries and rankings so that I can study them a little more carefully and report back to you. I look forward to reading your analysis and insights.

Johnny Waco

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 7 weeks ago

Les, Excellent choice for your fiftieth list; there's not a whole lot to dispute here. I haven't heard the three lowest ranking albums, and if I ever do, I hope to be pleasantly surprised by a little wheat among the chaff, but who knows? I do think that critics should give Easy Rider a little more of a chance; its a quiet, unassuming album that slowly grows on you. It will never be a classic, but I think its low key nature hurts it.

Johnny Waco

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 7 weeks ago

I did post and revise some new lists yesterday, but I had to log off of AOL and sign on with a different screen name each time I wanted to post something. I called the AOL/Windows number and they helped me do several things, but to no avail. Both my computer, which is a little older and uses Windows 95, and my parents', which is only a few months old and has Windows 98, have the same problem. I think the problem must lie with AOL, not individual users' computers. I don't know why some AOL users have no problems and others do, but I honestly think that the problem has to involve AOL.
    Also, Jim, how difficult would it be to install a log out button on another page besides the "My Lists" page? If users having trouble could go back to the Listology main page and then log out and re-log in, it might help matters, at least until this gets ironed out. Thanks for the effort you've put in trying to clear everthing up.

Johnny Waco

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 7 weeks ago

Yes, nadine, I probably should add an example of Applied Philosophy to my Introduction. The main areas, traditionally, have been Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Science, and Political Philosophy; but recently (= in the last 25 years or so), Environmental Philosophy has grown large. There's also Applied Ethics, which has many subdivisions, e.g., Bioethics (= largely, Medical Ethics, including the ethics of gene technology). So, as you can see, there are dozens of topics to choose from. Any of these interest you?

• Nominees for Kick-Ass Female Performances   14 years 7 weeks ago

Julianne Moore probably never should have been on the soap opera As the World Turns, but Meg Ryan got her start there too....

• Favorite Detective Fiction Authors   14 years 7 weeks ago

Just FYI, Ngaio Marsh wrote the Roderick Alleyn novels, PD James' very literary detective is Adam Dagleish. Also I would add my personal favorite Amanda Cross/Carolyn Heilebrun as another literary detective.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliment. I'm interested to hear if you continue to like the list as it grows. I do not hate the "Human Wheels" single, but I do wonder why it was chosen as the single. I do find it a bit monotonous and greatly favor most any other song on the album. Of course, I'm an Okie, which...well...I'm not sure what that means.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

How could I forget one of the greatest supporting actors ever? The late great Phil Hartman was fantastic in everything I've ever seen him in!

• Favorite Actors and the Movies I Most Liked Them In   14 years 7 weeks ago

Rumours of my demise have been... aw, forget it.

Thanks for the compliment. Have you checked out my in-progress top 100 rock albums yet? Your beloved Trinity Sessions have made a much-deserved appearance, and I'd love to hear your comments on my write-up for the album.

• Favorite Actors and the Movies I Most Liked Them In   14 years 7 weeks ago

Well, if it's any consolation, some time ago I had to double-check that you weren't The Lester Bangs ("he writes like a professional rock critic, but I thought he died?").

• 10 Reasons Why "Infinite Jest" Remains The Most Frustrating Book Ever Written   14 years 7 weeks ago

David Foster Wallace.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 7 weeks ago

Good god almighty, bertie- that is one long introduction.

It is extremely well thought-out, however, and I for one have to say thanks for taking the time to put it up here. It's very cool.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 7 weeks ago

Links! We need links! Somebody post links or I'll have to, and I really don't have time to run them down right now. :)

Who wrote this? Any book that prompts a reaction towards the author of, simply, "Bastard." is something I have to check out =)

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 7 weeks ago

All hail The Onion :)

But, I've gotta add one for my own- "What the Hell Did I Stick in My Ass Last Night?"

Not to mention anything based on Herbert Kornfeld, "Tha H-Dogg". =)

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 7 weeks ago

Sadly, I have never been lucky enough to hear Zaireeka in anything approaching its full glory. A friend of mine had a rare inport that mixed the four cds down to one, and I really enjoyed it while fully aware that I was missing a large chunk of its brilliance. I really love The Flaming Lips, and I'm not just saying that because I live in Oklahoma.

The Bonnie Prince Billy album gets greater with every listen; Nomadic Revery is one of my favorite songs this decade. I have only heard a smattering of Neutral Milk Hotel, but since everybody who knows my taste recommends them, I suppose it is about time I broke down and picked up On Avery Island.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

Good luck finding The Wrong Guy...I think it may be a little difficult. It's kind of a small film, populated almost entirely by Canadians. The video stores here don't always carry it, and so far I've only seen one copy per store. Hold on....I'm assuming you're American...It's entirely possible you're from Canada and would not have so much trouble finding this movie. However, if you are in the U.S., I think it might be a little more difficult. (I happen to own this movie, but only because I own tonnes of movies that were on sale for under $10. My ownership does not mean this is a fantastic movie).

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   14 years 7 weeks ago

big star? velvet underground? husker du? sounds like its a whole *genre* of experimental pop music you just don't like. ever hear elliott smith? stereolab? they're amazing musicians borrowing their ideas from these past great guys.

• Underrated 90s albums   14 years 7 weeks ago

el oso quiero la miel

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 7 weeks ago

hey, have you (or anyone else) experienced a flaming lips "zaireeka" listening? (flaming lips released a now out of print 4-cd album intended to be cued simultaneously on 4 different cd players.)

p.s. RIGHT ON with a big high five on the bonnie "prince" billy album. have you heard neutral milk hotel? it might knock your socks off. it might not.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 7 weeks ago

Well, I didn't try to post anything for a few days because I was away, but I tried again today and I got the Unsupported error on AOL; however, the error didn't come up until I tried to post a list. Once I did, I got nothing but the error. Jim, have you e-mailed anyone at AOL about this? I wonder if they could clear this up.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

Excellent suggestions!

Dave Foley is hilarious, though I rarely think of him in terms of his movie acting. I know him best as one of the Kids in the Hall, and he had a starring role in The Wrong Guy (a hilarious dumb comedy). I often forget that he plays smaller roles in more familiar films - he was a real gem in Blast from the Past (a reprise of one of his Kids in the Hall personas).

Stephen Root is also very good. I like him as the voice of Bill on King of the Hill, and he was almost unrecognizable in Office Space.

Ving Rhames is one of those people who can often be a redeeming feature in an otherwise abysmal movie (wasn't he in Con Air?). And I LOVED him in Mission Impossible. For a long time I couldn't stop thinking of him as Marcellus Wallace, though.

Kingsley is one of the best actors around, as far as I'm concerned. Sneakers was thoroughly enjoyable, but he was brilliant in Schindlers' List.

I really like Spiner (you may not remember but he played a hick farmer on Night Court once), but I don't really remember him in Independence Day. I just keep thinking of him as Data as I'm a fairly large Trek fan. Fierstein has never really done anything for me - I don't know why. I think he just always seems to play the same guy (at least it seems that way to me).

I'm amazed that you managed to point out a huge list of my favourites that just slipped my mind when it came to this list...particularly the first four you mentioned. Have you been raiding my movie collection? ;)

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 7 weeks ago

James and the Giant Peach is definitely worth watching. For some reason, I thought Burton directed it, though it doesn't have Burton's trademarked Oh-sh*t-the-movie's-over-now-what-do-I-do ending (deus ex sandworm, for example). Very Burton-esque. Kind of like Nightmare before christmas and Babe 2 in feeling, but with a Roald Dahl "dying baby" story. (Roald Dahl also did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Mathilda -- he likes stories of kids in not so great situations who get out of them in extraordinary ways.) Anyway, a fun movie. It's (mostly) claymation (or something like that.)

• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   14 years 7 weeks ago

Many people I know liked it. I wouldn't have liked it even if I hadn't read the book beforehand.