• 20 Greatest Alternative/Punk/New Wave Albums Ever Made.   15 years 4 weeks ago

Odd list, this one. Frank Black ranks higher than the Pixies, Morrissey gets an album above The Queen is Dead, and R.E.M. is represented by the mediocre Green! Depeche Mode at 2 and 12? Still over Unknown Pleasures and Closer? The Smashing Pumpkins even made this list?

Still, you do include Achtung Baby, The Stone Roses, and Wild Gift, so all is not lost. :)

Interesting, but I have to conclude that our tastes are closer in films than in music. Besides, I don't think I'm half the prog rock fan other lists seem to indicate you are.

Fun list.

• Surprisingly Good Movies   15 years 4 weeks ago

Hmm. I personally hated Three Kings, but did manage to sit through the whole thing.

• Books I should probably have on my desk at work   15 years 4 weeks ago

I'm sorry you have to use Fortran regularly.

• ALL MIXED UP/ Decipher these movie titles   15 years 4 weeks ago

3. Hamburger Hill

• ALL MIXED UP/ Decipher these movie titles   15 years 4 weeks ago

2. Duck Soup
    4. Amateur
    6. Trust
    8. Reds

Elvis had at least 5 albums that are simply masterpieces. And I think Styx, Alan Parsons, and Rush may (just maybe) have four good songs combined. You see? It's a personal thing.

My original comment was mostly pointing out that it was odd to see a Frank Black album above The Pixies, simply because most folks I know who like the former love the latter. But then, on second thought, Black's cult status does seem to generate an attraction that makes most of his die-hard fans quite avid, so perhaps it really isn't all that odd.

Like I said, fun list.

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 4 weeks ago

All movies appeal to some, or else they wouldn't have been made. (Although I can think of a few exceptions--"Summer Job" being one, I suffered thru 2/3 of it only because a freind had a one line 15 second part in it). So I am sure "Titus" has some fans too. I just felt the dripping symbolism sometimes was there just to be there instead of for a purpose. But, all people have varieties of taste--thats what makes the world interesting. My apologies to all who liked Titus. I shall refrain from saying it was a bad movie and instead say, as I taught my children, when they thought dinner was lousy, "It did not appeal to me."

elvis had about four good songs..

• Writers Whose Autographs I Have   15 years 4 weeks ago

I was lucky enough to get Douglas Adams' at a book signing as well, in Spokane. I just saw Raymond Feist in Seattle and got him to sign a book. I have a couple of others that I've received from an author I knew personally, but the one I like the best is by Robert Laxalt, who just passed away. I found some of his books in a used bookstore in Albuquerque and one of them was signed.

Yes. It's fun, eclectic, and very well done. When I say that I would never put it at the top of a list such as this, I am certainly not saying that it isn't a terrific album. I'm only saying that I can think of more than 20 discs that I like better, including at least 2 Pixies albums.

But to have the term 'new wave' in the title and then not include even a single Elvis Costello album...tsk, tsk...

Have you heard Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year"?

• films i'm avoiding for one reason or another   15 years 4 weeks ago

ok, maybe "care less" was too harsh. the others fall into the middle of the movie-going spectrum.

• films i'm avoiding for one reason or another   15 years 4 weeks ago

must see: american history x, dogma, fight club, pulp fiction, saving private ryan, schindler's list, trainspotting, american psycho, crumb

not worth seeing: final destination, mission to mars, showgirls,

everything else i could care less about :-)

• CHARACTER GAME borrowed   15 years 4 weeks ago

8. Ned Nederlander - Martin Short in The Three Amigos
    19. Benjamin Willard - ? in Ben and Willard :-)
    37. JJ Hunsecker - Paul Newman in The Hudsucker Proxy
    38. Atticus Finch - Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird
    43. Benjamin Braddock - Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate
    50. Raoul Duke - Bill Murray in Where The Buffalo Roam
    57. Mr. Pink - Steve Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs
    58. Dignan - Owen Wilson in Bottle Rocket

• Read Before 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

I too have zero Mike vs. Joel baggage. I don't think they should be compared.

• Read Before 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

Hey, Jim! The book is hee-larious. A very easy read. You can probably just get a copy and set it in the bathroom (if you're into bathroom reading). Some of Mike's insights need to be savored. I laughed out loud many, many times!

• Adam Again - The Greatest Rock Artist of the 90s   15 years 4 weeks ago

I'm thrilled you like the album. For what it's worth, I think it only gets better with repeated listenings.

Not sure I used the word correctly, I looked up 'trappings' in the Miriam-Webster. One definition was, "ornamental equipment," and this was the meaning I was aiming for. While several of the songs on Dig are certainly about the struggles Gene had with his life, including his Christian faith (Dig and Deep specifically come to mind)
    , the religious references do not strike me as ornamental but integral to the songs. I'm not sure I can say that about many Christian bands (except, of course, the many for whom the lyrics and music seem purely ornamental to a sermon or homily...).

Does that make sense? I sure hope so.

Again, I'm thrilled you gave the band a shot. I truly believe that Adam Again is the greatest "lost" band I've ever encountered. Perfecta is only a bit lower than Dig in my book, and I have several friends who actually prefer it. Homeboys is also good, but I slightly favor Perfecta.

• Read Before 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

Well, I admit to being quite cranky... :)

I'll also admit that the first few MST3K episodes I watched were Joel episodes, so I suppose it is possible that I like him best because I saw him first. I doubt it, but it is possible.

• seen in 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

Confession time - I saw most of Cruel Intentions on a business trip (I am unable to resist the premium movie channels you usually get in hotels, even when they are showing something I don't particularly want to see). I failed to hate it. :-)

• Adam Again - The Greatest Rock Artist of the 90s   15 years 4 weeks ago

I love it.

(and I haven't even had a chance to listen to it properly - I've only listened to it while programming (which is practically listening on a subliminal level) and painting the playroom (I can concentrate on the music when I'm using the roller, but not when I'm cutting in :-). Of course, I can't remember the last time I listened to music without doing something else at the same time, which is a shame.)

I spent a bit of time surfing for Adam Again information this morning, and the online grieving that occurred upon Gene Eugene's death was moving. Clearly he and his music were loved.

I did have one question about your article - you wrote, "Gene began writing songs about his life void of any Christian trappings." Listening to the music and reading the lyrics, it seems to me the songs on Dig are rife with Christian trappings. Perhaps it's because I knew going in that he was Christian, but it seems like most of the songs about love and doubt can be read as songs about faith. Or did you just mean they weren't overt or evangelical? Actually, upon rereading your article, I'm pretty sure that's what you mean, but I'll ask anyway.

Anyway, thanks for turning me onto this! I'll have to get Homeboys and Perfecta.

So where are the great punk albums? and U2/the Police punk/alterantive/new wave c'mon.

• seen in 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

lol, jim--no, there was no guilty pleasure for this horrendous prequel. it became apparent after the first five minutes that they made great efforts to derive a formula from the first one (presumably for the TV series that never was--at one point a character even says "god, we sound like a cancelled TV show!"). they even reused jokes/lines word for word, which strikes me as a bad idea if they're going for the same audience.

as for the first Cruel Intentions, i must admit i fully appreciate it. at first i was embarrassed to admit it because it could be lumped with other teensploitation flicks, such as "She's All That" or "Loser"--but i've come to look at it as more along the lines of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet, a loose interpretation of a great literary work in modern times. but maybe that's just my rationalization for thinking ryan phillippe's a cutie!

• Read Before 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

Well I thought the Face/Off excerpt was funny, even if the symbolism of the slash is obvious. :-)

I have to admit, I don't have much Joel vs. Mike baggage, since I think the only MST3K episodes I saw were Joel episodes.

But I'm grateful for the comments. Vindication for my nagging little voice that said, "don't buy just yet - ask around."

• Favorite Songs   15 years 4 weeks ago

Definitely a rare case where the original and the cover version of a song are both great...

• Read Before 2001   15 years 4 weeks ago

Ya know, yet another reason I favor Joel over Mike - Mike tries way too hard, and isn't half as funny...

Face/Off. He's ragging on that? The title has been sliced in half, whole appropriate since the film is not only about the face-off between the two leads, but also about slicing faces (identities?) off and switching them around.

I know, I'm cranky, but I skimmed through Megacheese in the bookstore, and I felt it pretty much was yet another book that was probably much funnier in another (maybe video?) format.

My change. Forgive me.