• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 15 weeks ago

I will definitely post my reactions here.

On a side note, the most recent issue of National Geographic has an article on the Black Sea. What they've found is a great deal of evidence that points to a straight at the entrance to the Sea that was suddenly open by an earthquake. They think this might have been the origin of the flood stories. In any case, the reason I point this out here is that the earthquake opening the straight may explain the origin of the crashing rocks described in the Odyssey. Just thought I'd mention it.

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 15 weeks ago

By the way, if anyone is interested in Chapman's translations of Homer, there is a free online version of his Odyssey here.

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 15 weeks ago

That's actually an incredibly apt comparison. After reading Chapman's Homer for awhile, you begin to feel as if you have entered another world, one quite different than our own, which is the same effect Gibson often achieves. This is excellent, of course, because the world of Homer *is* a completely different world from our own (and even perhaps from Homer's own real world), and Chapman allows his translations to act as a door instead of a window. Most translators are so concerned with making Homer easy for a modern audience to understand, that they lay out the essence of his world without ever allowing the reader to actually enter it. Their translations are windows. Chapman, however, requires some effort before you can see anything, but once the door finally swings wide - wow, it reveals a unique, thrilling, and profoundly moving sphere to dwell upon!

I'm foaming at the mouth now. Anyway, yes, it sound like you know exactly what I mean! When you do get around to Chapman's Homer, you'll have to inform of your reactions, good or bad.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Ok lets liven this game up a little -Brad Dillman

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Sorry I had it backwards; The way we were.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Robert Duvall

• Who Should've Won?   15 years 15 weeks ago

I found Titanic quite amazing. The script did have problems, but the film's large emotions and impressive story and visuals steamrolled over these. Titanic was quite a worthy winner.

• Where Dance Slams Into the Mainstream - The 15 Best Trip-Hop, Big Beat, and Jungle Albums of the 90s   15 years 15 weeks ago

Thank you. I discovered a used CD srore near my house that carries Adam Again's Homeboys, and I plan on buying it this weekend.

I'm glad you like the list.

• GE. Genre Movies: Horror: Good and Bad Vampire Movies   15 years 15 weeks ago

Transylvania Twist (spoof with Robert Vaughn)
    Dracula, Dead and Loving It (Leslie Nielsen)
    Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat

PS: Read the book Vampire$ by John Steakly. Much, much better. I think the movie was the worst rendition of any book I've ever seen. (Armor, by the same author, was excellent too).

-l

• 5 Tom Hanks Movies the World would be better off without   15 years 15 weeks ago

Jen, Welcome to the unofficial "Gump Sucks Club"..GSC for short. You are the third Member, a friend of mine is number 2. I think the membership can only grow once people realize there are others out there who have good taste and are not afraid to say what a horrid flick it really is...I always think of it like the Emporor has No Clothes.

I have had some of my most memorable fights about this movie.

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 15 weeks ago

concerning the west wing, the other day i saw a bumpersticker that said simply "martin sheen is my president" does anyone know where i can get one? any help would be great. thanks.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 15 weeks ago

excellent question, buber. i am also curious about that. please satisfy our curiosity, mr.bangs. thanks!

• REVIEW: "Taxi Driver"   15 years 15 weeks ago

hey jen, i know this isn't exactly the right place to try and contact a friend but where have you been????? please email me. you know the address right? i need to hear how you're doing. sorry to post this on the listology but i didn't know of any other way to find you. -katherine

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks. I actually thought of that movie with Las Vegas in the title first, but I can't think of the whole title.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Robert Redford, I think. What happens if I get it wrong?

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Once again, very sorry. Dillman was in "A Rage to Live."

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

Sorry. The movie - The Way We Were.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago
  • THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 15 weeks ago

The Natural.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 15 weeks ago

lbangs, maybe this would be too difficult to do, but if you had to recommend one novel by each author, what would it be?

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks for this list, lbangs. I was actually considering reading some of these. I read some in college, but it's been a while and I've forgotten most everything about them (even the basic plot, in most cases). I will definitely take your suggestions and get the Chapman and Roche translations. :)

• 0001: My Favorite Television Programs   15 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks, Jimmy. I don't find too many people who actually watched China Beach. Man, I love that show. I remember being devastated when Nurse Cherry died. Remember that great episode?

I also really loved how the last season shifted back in forth in time between Nam, the present, and all points in between.

One of my required watchings in high school.

• Favorite Movie Involving Killer Marine Life   15 years 15 weeks ago

Is this really even a competition? :)

L. Bangs (who's going to take a wild stab, to go out on a limb, and to guess that Jaws will be the winner. Call me crazy...)

• What should I read next?   15 years 15 weeks ago

Because I went through and changed the way I was doing italics to fix the ability to search on them and apparently doing that doubled everything up! (Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mail Jim about it).

• Ok I tried to do 5 good Dan Aykroyd films   15 years 15 weeks ago

"Chaplin". He's not in the movie all that much but it's great. A damn sight better than The House of Mirth. And yes, keep "Sneakers". It's a fine fine film.
    Someone did an Esquire article recently where they recounted how they were forced to watch all of Akroyd's movies. It was quite funny. Although I got mad at him for complaining about it. I mean, hello, I'll take that job any day! It beats waitressing.