• 5 best movie soundtracks   14 years 24 weeks ago

I guess Almost Famous left an imoression on ya, huh?

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

I also forgot the easy one here. 10 - My Generation, The Who.

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Bangsmeister, good job on all counts!

• 20 Inspirational Guitarists-Living(Alt./Punk/Indie)   14 years 24 weeks ago

I thought about it, but decided not..

• DVDs I'd Like To Acquire   14 years 24 weeks ago

In case it might influence your purchasing decisions, the Fight Club DVD is marvelous (although the only other ones I've seen so far are The Matrix and Men in Black). The verbal annotations by Fincher, Pitt, Norton, and Bonham-Carter are very entertaining and informative (the movie is on disc 1 along with 4 (!) annotated versions - then there's a bunch of other stuff on disc 2 that I haven't fully explored yet).

The thing I find remarkable about the various deleted scenes and "making of" features you get on DVD (speaking in general now - not just about Fight Club) is how unbelievable it is that the raw footage ends up looking like the final product. There's lots of magic that happens in editing and post-production that I'd always taken for granted.

• 20 Inspirational Guitarists-Living(Alt./Punk/Indie)   14 years 24 weeks ago

I thought you might of put Billy Corgan in there somewhere Roy W.

• Another Character Game-Newer Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

#10 is Woody Harrelson from Kingpin and #17 is Vincent D'nofrio from Full Metal Jacket. You picked some hard one roy w.

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

Interesting side note - The hardest ones for me to decide were John Ford and Ingmar Bergman. Go figure!

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

This is new; I posted it just this morning. Nailing down a favorite by a great director is difficult. For many great film makers, there is almost a point where you are left staring at three great films. At this point, your choice is almost due to intangible differences. That's why I like these lists. It is fun to see which film people finally land on.

As for Cabaret, ah well. I love it, although Lenny and All That Jazz would have done fairly well also. What can I say? I believe Bob Fosse is an over-looked genius.

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

Ok ...is this a new list? or have I missed this one? Some great choices...some I might disagree though I dont think there is a movie on this list that I do not like a great deal. Well Maybe Cabaret...

• Another Character Game-Newer Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

Correct...good job.

• Another Character Game-Newer Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

Those are all right...I'm giving you the last one. although you actually said Gump, I think you meant Garp..and yes I do like the movie very much. It also helps that it came on TMC a couple of weeks ago and blew me away...again.

• Another Character Game-Newer Films   14 years 24 weeks ago

All correct except for 20...

• Best Teen Movie of All Time   14 years 24 weeks ago

Absolutely dude....but let's not forget River's Edge and Some Kind of Wonderful...those are my favorites..RoyW

• Top 20 Songs of the Eighties   14 years 24 weeks ago

Nice list. Some great songs on here, including the long-forgotten Spirit of 76. As for Costello singles, however, I greatly favor Shipbuilding.

And thank you for not including Melt with You. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Great Utopias and Dystopias   14 years 24 weeks ago

although it's out of print, i would recommend this perfect day by ira levin (author of rosemary's baby, sliver, and a kiss before dying).

• Literature of the Cinema: A Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Bingo! Baby Steps is the name of the book that Richard Dreyfuss' character wrote. Tin Toy is one of the books on the shelf in Andy's room.

• Literature of the Cinema: A Challenge   14 years 24 weeks ago

Not Seinfeld -- these are all actual movies. I figured it would be tough. 8^)

• Albums to Buy   14 years 24 weeks ago

Thanks for the recommendations Dave! I'll definitely be adding some of these to my "to buy" list.

I did get the O Brother soundtrack, and think it's terrific. The Alison Krauss stuff is the best on the album, IMO.

• Best. Britney. Ever.   14 years 24 weeks ago

I'm still giddy from being listed right next to Amazon and Epinions. :-)

To greatly oversimplify things, here are some routes to getting recommendations: [1] find out what most people like and go with that, [2] find out what some esteemed critic likes and go with that, [3] find out what somebody of similar tastes likes and go with that.

Personally, I think [3] is far-and-away the most reliable, followed by [2] and then [1].

So The Listology attempts to hook folks up via method three (which is not to say we're lacking in esteemed critics). It doesn't really matter if you fall into the "it's good because I like it" or "it's good because it has these qualities" camp. If somebody likes 9 of your top 10 movies, and they haven't seen the tenth, I'm betting the tenth is a good bet for a rental.

Contrast this with typical collaborative filtering tools, which attempt to automatically tell you what you'll like based on how your preferences compare to that of the general population. You end up getting averaged recommendations from a pile of people without ever seeing the actual picks from that one person who might as well be your twin.

Anyway, I would argue that relying mostly on word-of-mouth is mostly a method [1] approach to getting recommendations. I still like method [3].

But I liked the article, even if I still prefer "Listologists" to "punters." :-)

• Critically Praised Albums That I'm Curious to Hear   14 years 24 weeks ago

I highly recommend The Band selection, I actually just listened to the Captain Beefheart selection-20 years after purchasing it, I still cant tell you if I like it. You should listen to it though. Songs in the key of Life would have been one of the best albums of all time if it was single disc instead of a 2 record set. Pretty much Ditto for Prince's 1999 though I like that one a little bit more. I think the Harrison disc is very overrated. Now the Ray Charles selection is an acquired taste but If you like country music than by all means give it a listen.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 24 weeks ago

No offense taken on the smoking comment. I think the great thing about Listology is exactly that incroguity you are talking about here. I so often find some list and I go yes, yes, yes... no what the hell was he/she thinking with that comment. Perhaps you should clone the list and give some opinions of your own and I can be totally surprised.

• Film Review : TRUE LIES * * * 1/2   14 years 24 weeks ago

The only thing I really remember about this movie in the years since I saw it is how fabolous Jamie Lee's body looked and wondering how many hours a day she has to work out to keep it that fit. I didnt hate this movie but it wasnt great.

• FIVE BEST PITCHERS IN HISTORY   14 years 24 weeks ago

Sandy's career was not long enough to be considered the best of all time. It does not matter, unless he gets injured Pedro Martinez will be considered the best Pitcher when he is done. Right now, my vote goes to Gibson or Lefty Grove.

• FIVE BEST QUARTERBACKS IN HISTORY   14 years 24 weeks ago

If I am not mistaken the job of the quarterback is to win Championships. Marino never won anything. Please do not give me the argument about the organization not supporting him. Montana, Bradshaw or Johnny Unitas (Where is Johnny U?) belongs on the top of this list.