• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   15 years 11 weeks ago

61. is Theodore Sturgeon's "More than Human" a nice book.

57. Is "The Magus" by John Fowles

• The Long Haul: Financial Self-Sufficience   15 years 11 weeks ago

IANAA (I am not an accountant) but I did grow up in a CPA office. I would suggest digging up any friends/relatives/etc. who have successfully run a small (not nec. tech-related) business and ask them.

I think the first answer you'll get is to cut costs. It seems to me that your ISP is, umm, doing quite well for themselves with your plan. (See my e-mail on that topic.)

Second, look at your assets. I see a *lot* of value here in three main areas:

1) The software that runs the Listology itself
    2) The skillset it represents
    3) The data

Is it possible you could generic-ize the listology software and sell it? Are there other applications for such a tool? Amazon seems to think so. Coming up with this sort of thing is my bag so I'll ponder this and see what I can come up with.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but if you're not a professional web designer, you have an incredible talent that isn't being fully used. If you are, perhaps you could view the Listology as a marketing expense? I deduct my web sites on my taxes, letting Uncle Sam pay for nearly half of them. $100/mo is a bit much, but if you can cut that down a bit, it might be reasonable.

And if you don't have a need for such marketing yourself, perhaps there is someone who does? You could add a discreet but noticeable "Sponsored by..." line somewhere. Perhaps your employer (if you're not self-employed)? It wouldn't have to be a complete take-over, but if you cut costs, perhaps someone would be interested in supporting the Listology. How many page views do you serve per month? 1K? 10K? It's got to be a lot. Exclusive sponsorship is worth more than just being one of many banner ads, and can seem philanthropic as well.

Lastly, the data is valuable. Now, I'm rather opposed to the idea of collecting information from people or having people generate data which you then sell, but perhaps something like the slashbox might be of interest to other sites? Would your local bookstore be interested in a Slashbox-type box for their web page listing random book lists? What if you put together a list of the Lists that contained a movie and let a movie theatre include that on their page for that movie? This is a touchy subject, though.

Anyway, I would certainly be willing to chip in. Perhaps you should go ahead and set up a PayPal account?

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   15 years 11 weeks ago

Thomas and the Magic Railroad (2000)
    Maverick (1994)
    My Favorite Martian (1999)
    The Untouchables (1987)
    The Mod Squad (1999)
    The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000)
    Any Monty Python Movie
    The Avengers (1998)
    Bean (1997)
    Beavis and Butt-head Do America (1996)
    The Flintstones (1994)
    Josie and the Pussycats (2001)
    McHale's Navy (1997)
    The Rugrats Movie (1998)
    The Saint (1997)
    Any Star Trek Film
    Strange Brew (1983)
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992)

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   15 years 11 weeks ago

Quick Question...do SNL (Saturday Night Live) movies count?

• 10 Best of '00   15 years 11 weeks ago

Taryn has wonderful taste in film. You'll need to see Before Night Falls, too. I think you'll like it. :-)

• A Sampling of My Favorite Listology Movie Lists   15 years 11 weeks ago

Hmmmmm...I wonder what I can do to make Jim's favorites list? Time to get creative. :-)

• The Long Haul: Financial Self-Sufficience   15 years 11 weeks ago

Interestingly enough another site I use some had a similar discussion come up today as well.

A Question About Payment. (I don't think you'll be able to access it without joining delphi unfortunately.

One idea I had was that you could sell advertising space but have a way that people that donated money wouldn't have to see them.

• bands that give rock n roll a bad name   15 years 11 weeks ago

In defense of Limp Bizkit (an unlikely phrase):
    They obviously have a high grade of musical talent, as evidenced by the great guitar work of Wes Borland, and the ability to lay down a great heavy beat to songs like 'Nookie' and 'My Generation'(if you don't believe me, listen to the first 20 seconds of each), and, contrary to your opinion, they usually have some sense of both rhyme and reason in their lyrics. An example of this is the song 'My Generation', where they include solid references to earlier generations' pop culture while rebelling against the poor treatment of today's youth by the modern adult population, which if it were a racial or sexual minority receiving that treatment, the media would lash out against the discrimination. I am a fan of many types of music from several decades, but to hear the music of a group as well-built as Limp Bizkit slandered in such an ignorant manner offends me. I do not wish to offend anyone, so if i have, please tell me, and I'll apologize for it.

• Listology's worst movies ever   15 years 11 weeks ago

Joe's Apartment.

• Book Awards: Science Fiction: Hugo: Best Novel: Winners   15 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks for doing these. It reminds me how many of them I still need to read.

(I've read 21)

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 11 weeks ago

Since I can't begin to comment constructively on poetry (although I particularly liked "But she always sweated vanilla"), I'll fix the typo. I assume "I?ll feel the sorrow you can not trace" is also a typo I can fix?

And if you want to submit more of these, we do have that "custom genre" feature. :-)

• Film Review: Groundhog Day   15 years 11 weeks ago

No time brother, no time. Not enough hours in the day. But one of these days I'm going to clone those reviews of yours that I disagree with. Consider yourself forewarned. :-)

• Seen in 2001   15 years 11 weeks ago

Well, I did think the fishhook scene was terrific.

• Favorite Actors   15 years 11 weeks ago

I appreciate those actors (well, I'd like to think I do) but am not excited by them (or at least, I'm not as excited as I used to be). I know their contributions are huge, and certainly they've made some movies that I love or greatly admire, but I don't find myself actively seeking out their work (either to watch the stuff I haven't seen, or to rewatch their classics). The fault is almost certainly my own. I seem stuck in the now, and don't rewatch many classics (although I'm trying to catch the ones I've missed). And I think all those actor's best works are behind them. So my recency-freak tendencies (which I continue to work on and fail) combined with their not picking their projects as carefully these days and/or mailing-in recent performances and/or not getting choice roles keeps them off my "favorites" list. But I really should add Nicholson to some kind of "Former Favorites" category. I really liked him at one time. I'll think on that.

• Favorite Actors   15 years 11 weeks ago

Jim..I see no Brando, De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson, Hoffman. Are you a fan of these acting giants?

• Seen in 2001   15 years 11 weeks ago

Well, I think The Perfect Storm was a really good film.

• Film Review: Groundhog Day   15 years 11 weeks ago

I really like this film as well Bertie. It's all the above you said it was. It's good to see other people writing reviews on movies now. I wonder, maybe the reason no one posts on my reviews is because I pick boring movies? I've posted 26 reviews and totaled I have about 8 or 10 comments. Whatever..

• Film Review: Groundhog Day   15 years 11 weeks ago

Your last sentence sums it up beautifully (and I agree with the rest as well). Great movie. But you forgot to mention that it's also really funny. :-)

I never would have guessed that I'd rewatch so many times a movie in which the same day is repeated over and over.

• themed compilation: color   15 years 11 weeks ago

that's what's so appealing about listology--i enjoy meeting people who are as obsessive as i am! (and in your case, more so...) thanks for your unbridled enthusiasm, jblack!

• Most romantic movies   15 years 11 weeks ago

two months and eleven days later I ask again. What do you think of SHADOWLANDS? That film is romantic and also very sad.

• ZLMC001: Taxi Driver (1976) [Spoiler Alert!]   15 years 11 weeks ago

You talkin' t' me? [sorry, couldn't resist].

TAXI DRIVER is a serious movie, a realistic movie - perhaps not believable in its entirety, but individual scenes are very believable. Two for-instances: the scene when Bickle tries to assassinate the senator and is chased off, and the scene when he guns down the pimps running the under-age prostitute (played superbly by Jodie Foster). This latter scene, in particular, is one of the most convincing scenes of violence in any American movie.

• The 10 Greatest Videos of All Time..   15 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks Jen..I knew you'd appreciate a list like this. I cant wait to see your list!

• bands that give rock n roll a bad name   15 years 11 weeks ago

oh yeah, i also wish that fred durst would just shut the hell up and stop proclaiming that they're the most hated band in the world. what does he want to be? another eminem? he's just trying to be "cool" like mr. slim shady.... well both of them suck

• The 10 Greatest Videos of All Time..   15 years 11 weeks ago

Very excellent choices. I agree wholeheartedly with "Take On Me" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and the others are all excellent choices too. For Madonna, being a huge fan, I prefer many of her videos to "Material Girl", however. I have a special place in my heart for "Like a Virgin" and "Express Yourself". My list would probably also include "She Blinded me with Science" "Janie's Got a Gun" and if I could ever actually view a Queen video, something by them. Also, "Thriller" by Michael Jackson. Man, I better get to work on a list like this!

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 11 weeks ago

hahaha! volumes and volumes of sarcasm are written in between the lines.... it doesn't take a genius to figure that one out :)