• Best film directors of the 20th century   14 years 10 weeks ago

Actually, I omitted Silkwood because it is a very good movie and does not represnet the demise of his movies. I saw Day of the Dolphin a long time ago, but I remember really liking it. Maybe I should see it again. Working Girl is a good film, but I do not think it deserved an oscar nomination whatsoever. Regardless, I will give Nichols both Silkwood and Working Girl, and accept them as great movies. However, I found indisputable evidence of Nichols' demise, his 2000 directorial effort, What Planet Are You From? I have a hard time believing that anyone could have liked this film, let alone seen it since it only grossed about $10 million (this may be a generous guess on the gross). If a movie flops that much and is a major studio effort, then it is a permanent stain on a director's resume.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

I have a hard time accepting Forrest Gump as handicapped. Damn, he makes me feel handicapped, and I'm not. Forrest's achievements: ran around the country, All-American football player, world ping pong champ, war hero, multi-millionaire, and twice went to the White House. Those accomplishments seem unattainable by anyone who is truly handicapped in some aspect. I know the movie is fictitious, but the filmmakers definitely disregarded any potentially existing handicap of Forrest. Therefore, if the filmmaker is not going to present a physical handicap as an obstacle, then neither should the viewers.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 10 weeks ago

Put down that paintbrush for just a couple hours and have a laugh at Chicken Run! The visual gags are more for adults than kids, and who can resist hen with teeth?? So what if, as a friend complained, the movie telegraphs its punch lines well in advance? Some good dialogue, and more engaging characters than most summer movies. Enjoy!

• 0007: My Ten Favorite 2000 Films   14 years 10 weeks ago

Darn, I missed American Psycho. Did you see Gladiator and The Patriot? Those are my 2 favorite so far. I also really enjoyed U-571 and Final Destination (considering horror films typically suck and this one was pretty intense).

• 0008: Harrison Ford's Ten Best Films   14 years 10 weeks ago

What about Clear and Present Danger? I thought it was a very well done action thriller. Far superior than Patriot Games, its predecessor.

• 0009: Cary Grant's Ten Best Films   14 years 10 weeks ago

See Awful Truth again and I believe you will move it up this list, even though this list is packed with great titles.

• 0012: My Favorite Romantic Comedies (in chronological order)   14 years 10 weeks ago

I agree with Nadine that The Awful Truth is definitely missing. We often agree on movies and since you seem to really like the Screwball movies, BuB and HGF, I'm sure you'll love Awful Truth again. Nadine and I both have stated that Grant and Dunne had amazing chemistry together. Another must is at least one Preston Sturges romantic comedy: The Lady Eve (my personal favorite of his), Sullivan's Travels, Miracle of Morgan's Creek, or perhaps Palm Beach Story (personally not one of my favorites). Three others that I love are The More the Merrier (Jean Arthur is the goddess of classic comedy), You Can't Take It With You (madcap Capra with some romance and Jean Arthur), and My Favorite Wife (Grant and Dunne again). Other possibilities : Ball of Fire, Born Yesterday, Breakfast at Tiffany's, City Lights, Easy Living, The Graduate, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, and The Shop Around the Corner. Lastly, would you consider Some Like It Hot for this list, everyone falls in love at the end?

• 50 essential albums   14 years 10 weeks ago

Oh, and if you're willing to do a little digging, I'm willing to bet you would also like Over the Rhine's Eve or Til We Have Faces.

I'll shut up now.

• 50 essential albums   14 years 10 weeks ago

Nothing essential before 1972?

I may not agree with many of these, but I am impressed you have heard October Project. Great disc, eh?

What do you think of Innocence Mission? If you like October Project, I'm guessing you might like their self-titled debut.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

I guess I never thought about it. I always thought that "mendacity" is what the movie is about-- no one telling or facing up to the truth. But I can see, certainly, how the crutch is a metaphor for the whole family's dysfunctionality. I slo think that the movie/play (because the play is really what I am familiar with) has more to it than a crutch1? :)

I need to see The Awful Truth again before adding it; it has been about 15 years since I saw it, and I was 12 then! I often don't trust my critical decisions made when I was that young. I did enjoy it.

As for The Philadelphia Story, I am ashamed I forgot it and will add it right now!

Thanks!

Also, The Awful Truth, with Cary Grant and I think Irene Dunne?

All great films, in my opinion-- and it is my favorite genre. I would add Philedelphia Story, as it is one of my personal favorites, and take away Chasing Amy, which I did not like primarily because of Joey Lauren Adams voice. Very prejudiced, I know, but I couldn't get over it.

• Songs I've Gotten Stuck in My Head While Being a Meter Maid this Summer   14 years 10 weeks ago

everytime i see a meter maid from now on, i will picture them thinknig "haha. we are evil. fear us."

i think you just kinda made my day, actually.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

don't you think the whole crutch metaphor is what the movie is about?

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 10 weeks ago

two more for ye list.

"TRON" (i was so thrilled to remember this one)
    "freaks"

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 10 weeks ago

i'm not afraid of alt-country! would you describe wilco as alt-country? i'll have to check her out. you know, i've been listening to the new modest mouse and i'm near seizure-enduced happiness. do you like them? it's damn brilliant. esp. the merge between tracks 5 and 6. i want to start every mixtape i ever make with tracks 5 and 6. it's the quinessential (sic) sum of everything i even care about in rock. rolled into 2-ish 3-ish songs.

i haven't heard amon tobin's latest nor have i heard v.o.l. or murray attaways... looks like *i'm* the one with the sheltered musical taste.

np: horace silver "the kicker"

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 10 weeks ago

When a post like this can not get a response from him, I am convinced that Johnny Waco has disappeared from the face of the planet...

Still with us, Johnny?

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 11 weeks ago

Five fingers your way!

• 0025: 10 Great Rock Debut Albums   14 years 11 weeks ago

I would include The Feelies "Crazy Rhythms"
    and Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers self-titled debut.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 11 weeks ago

Neko Case started off in a punk band, then went solo as a powerhouse country belter. I don't usually dig country, but her songs are miles above most of the ilk considered country today. Perhaps she is more of a country singer / songwriter. Her fans claim her as Alternative Country, but that's probably just an excuse to like her - most of her fans are alternative rock lovers.

Speaking of Athens, did you ever hear Vigilantes of Love's Killing Floor or Murray Attaway's (formerly of Guadalcanal Diary) solo disc, In Thrall. Two over-looked but wonderful albums.

What do you think of Amon Tobin's latest, Supermodified? I love it.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 11 weeks ago

you know, eric's trip is actually probably the worst band name i've ever heard, especially because most of their fans are definitely going to be sonic youth fans, it just seems...high school. uninventive. i don't know. i really like them though- at least this album. to tell you the truth, i don't like any of their others.

amon tobin is AWESOME. who is neko case? the name is pretty damn intriguing. i'm also really digging the of montreal singles collection. though i feel a bit silly, i admit, listening to a lot of athens music because i'm around here for a short period of time... its kind of like wearing the t-shirt of the band you're going to see.

i'll definitely check out nilsson sings newman. i love nilsson. i even love "the point"...

lv,
    susie.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 11 weeks ago

If you dig Harry, you should check out Nilsson Sings Newman, a match made in heaven. That Modest Mouse collection is great; a collection of the early singles was badly needed. I haven't liked much of what I've heard by Eric's Trip; being named after a song on one of my favorite albums, I want to like them but don't. Maybe I'll have to listen to more.

Sea and Cake are pretty amazing. I've only heard a few songs by the Raincoats, and I have no idea what album they were off of, but I liked them. I admit I have only heard a few songs off Cat Power's latest cover record. I need to investigate them further.

The latest Stereolab album was unfortunately one of the few by the band that I didn't care much for.

Lately, as my list shows, I've been grooving on Primal Scream's XTRMNTR, Neko Case's Furnace Room Lullaby, and Amon Tobin's Supermodified. I am expecting the latest Joseph Arthur and the Chappaquidick Skyline CD in the mail any day now. I've heard the later and love it. I haven't heard the Arthur yet, but I've heard great things about it.

Oh, and I've been spinning my Dylan discs alot lately.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 11 weeks ago

i'm humbled in your response. most people don't venture beyond their columbia house subscriptions. i figured listology folks might be just like other "most people" too. that's just my list from whatever day it was that i posted.. today i would donate my kidney, definitely, to:

harry nilsson "harry"
    modest mouse "building nothing out of something"
    the raincoats "the raincoats"
    eric's trip "purple blue"
    catpower "what would the community think?"
    palace "viva lost blues"
    supersport2000 "pink slip"
    the sea and cake "the biz"

i agree that the new belle and sebastian disc is somewhat disappointing. but tigermilk has long since been one of my favorites, i don't care much for "the boy with the arab strap"...but "if you're feeling sinister" is easily my favorite of all their releases. including that new catchy legal man ep. btw, i think looper are terrible.

have you heard the new stereolab? cobra phases blah blah blah- i can't even remember the title, but the design of it is great and it is really BRILLIANT.

well, that's my playlist for today. thanks for schooling me. l.bangs-you da man.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 11 weeks ago

Probably never even heard them? Do you think us other listers live next door to Barry Manilow?

The Union and Wolfie CDs are fine. I prefer the Fields' 69 Love Songs over Charm, but I can live with Charm.

Gorky's is a fantastic band, and I've liked every album I have heard by them so far. The Eno disc is one of his best albums.

I was almost as disappointed with Tigermilk as I was with Fold Your Hands; Sinister and Boy with the Arab Strap are easily Belle & Sebastian's best, though the EP collection is also great.

Stereolab is one of the better bands around today, although I prefer Noise Bursts, Mars Audiac, and Emperor to Dots and Loops, which is still a good listen.

I still haven't heard all of the Hotel CD, but as I said, it hasn't moved me yet.

I believe you'll find that several folks on this site know more about music than you assume they do. Search around a bit.

Pretty solid list, Snoozer.