• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 4 weeks ago

And Michelle Pfeiffer (What Lies Beneath)

Best Supporting Actress of 2000: A Thread

My favorite female acting performances (in a supporting role) so far are: Kate Hudson (Almost Famous); Frances McDormand (Almost Famous);

Best Supporting Actor of 2000: A Thread

My favorite male acting performances (in a supporting role) so far are: Robert DeNiro (Meet The Parents); Aaron Eckhart (Erin Brockovich); Crispin Glover (Charlie's Angels); Christopher Guest (Best of Show); Nicky Katt (The Way of the Gun); Tobey Maguire (Wonder Boys); Carroll O'Connor (Return to Me); Brad Pitt (Snatch)

Best Actress of 2000: A Thread

My favorite female acting performances (in a starring role) so far are: Laura Linney (You Can Count On Me); Renee Zellweger (Nurse Betty)

Best Actor of 2000: A Thread

Okey-Dokey! Things are shaping up a bit better now. I've managed to see 5 movies in the theater in the last 3 weekends.

My favorite male acting performances (in a starring role) so far are: Christian Bale (American Psycho), Billy Crudup (Almost Famous), Willem Dafoe (Shadow of the Vampire), Michael Douglas (Wonder Boys), Mark Ruffalo (You Can Count On Me)

• Ok I tried to do 5 good Dan Aykroyd films   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hey, All. Dan's name is spelled Aykroyd. I'd say theh only movie of his that I really liked would be Grosse Pointe Blank. Some other possible candidates would be Chaplin or My Girl.

• 5 Tom Hanks Movies the World would be better off without   14 years 5 weeks ago

Must be why they call them opinions. What is it about Gump you find so rewarding? I will expound on my opinion, I found it predictable and even more sinful a blatant attempt to ring a tear or two whatever the cost. Damn it is just a horrible Movie. I know I am in the distict minority but I can not tell you how much I loathed the movie. and this is many years later. You should have seen me the night I saw it. I am still surprised my wife married me.

BTW, I did see Castaway and was somewhat pleasantly surprised. I guess diminished expectations help. In a wierd way it reminded me of a dramatic Seinfeld. A whole movie about Nothing...just the minutia of trying to survive.

i cant even believe your views in forrest gump and philadelphia. these are 2 of the best films of the 90's.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 5 weeks ago

I've always wanted to see a movie of On the Road. Or one of Jack Kerouac's life, but that could never be condensed into a film. Other things I'd like to see: Monkey Wrench Gang by Abbey, Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Wolfe...and well...I'm blanking right now but I will add suggestions later on.

• The worst movies I've seen so far in my short life of 27+ years.   14 years 5 weeks ago

Agree with you on quite a few of these but I think the Breakfast Club is a good movie. Not great, but quite watchable nonetheless. On another point, Days of Thunder rules!!! Not because its good, but because I've seen it so many times its become a part of me(you gotta love it when Cruise takes his former teammate out when the guy is doing his victory lap)!

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 5 weeks ago

Has anyone read "Ender's Shadow" and the new "Shadow of the Hegemon" by Card? The "Shadow" series parallels the Ender series, showing the same events from a different character's perspective. It's an unusual technique but fairly effective. I've just started "Shadow of the Hegemon" and so far it's not as gripping as its predecessor, but 25 pages may not be enough to judge.

Still, I think Card is going the right route to write books that fill in the fictional time period between "Ender's Game" and "Speaker of the Dead," the way Asimov wrote books later to fill in the time gap between books in his Foundation and Empire series. Comments???!

• Over the weekend,   14 years 5 weeks ago

Saw CTHD last night at the nearest "art" theatre and it was stylish and engrossing. What martial arts choreography! Imagine the pitch for this film: "Zorro" meets "Star Wars"! This MUST be seen on the large screen...and the music played by Yo-Yo Ma added much to the atmosphere.

heehee; how 'bout
    "Mitchel, how do you take your vokda?"

"By the quart."

Mitchell!

Sorry - ya asked...

I think there's a potato cake in here somewhere...

• The BIG NEWS today is that this is the first anniv   14 years 5 weeks ago

Happy anniversary from me also. Even if I don't contribute much I still read through the lists at least once a week. I recall your question to jim regarding his list. It appears my own one year anniversary will be next week (2/1/01).

If it weren't for Manos, though, what movie could MST3K have destroyed so completely and so damn funnily? "No, no, Torgo, that's not the way you wear your Depends..."

I must admit, I feel a sort of bond here, as a fellow 27 year old who also sat through the infamous Manos: The Hands of Fate.

I mean, criminy, you can only watch somebody drive a car for so long...

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hi! I don't know that I ever implied that I liked Paul Verhoeven. I don't even know the man. He does have a hyper-realistic edge which I think could lend itself well to a movie about the Crusades.

The reason this is on the list is because there was scuttlebutt about this project sometime back and it sounded interesting to me. If I had to think of an nltimate 'Crusades' director and star Paul and Arnold would not be on the top of that list. But that's another type of list entirely.

• Films With Incredible Casts   14 years 5 weeks ago

Good call, Jim!

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm glad we agree on a few!

I have admitted that Led Zeppelin is extremely influential, and I'll even give you that they created some very good music (IV is on my top 100 albums list). They are, however, often treated as rock gods, on par with the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who. I simply disagree. They were not quite as great as most would proclaim them.

And no, neither Beatles or Oasis will join this list ;). The Beatles are as good as their reputation implies, while Oasis is largely viewed as a joke in America, which makes it very hard to be over-rated.

Thanks for the comments!

• The Ultimate Guide to The Beatles   14 years 6 weeks ago

Many thanks for this list and the interesting and informative critical history.

Youngsters: to appreciate The Beatles it helps a lot if your were a teenager during the sixties (which, of course, you weren't). At their peak, The Fab Four were, as John naughtily pointed out, more popular than Jesus Christ.

• Favorite Albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

Catatonia are from Wales--and very proud of it. In fact, on their (I believe) first album "International Velvet"--where you can find "Road Rage" and "Mulder and Scully"--the lyrics to the song "International Velvet" are, "Everyday when I wake up, I thank the Lord I'm Welsh." "International Velvet" is great, but their second album, "Equally Cursed and Blessed," is even better.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 6 weeks ago

Sounds familiar, jim. It's an sf story, I think (it would nearly have to be sf for me to recognise it).

Ah, yes, I know it. Just went to my bookshelves to confirm. But this is too much of a gift. Before I claim it I'll give others a chance with the following hints. It's the author's best-known novel, and its author inspired another author, Kurt Vonnegut Jr, to name one of his characters "Kilgore Trout".

Come in, #51, your time is up! PAINGOD by Harlan Ellison.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 6 weeks ago

Don't take this the wrong way, but...you like Paul Verhoeven?
    I've seen most of his films (I missed 'The Hollow Man') in the theater. I have also seen them over and over numerous times on Cable. And all I can say is that Paul Verhoeven seems like one "tasteless" individual.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   14 years 6 weeks ago

I don't consider Zeppelin overrated. First of all they had some of the best music out there while at the same time influencing the whole rock genre for generations to come. In Zeppelin's place I think you should put someone like the Beatles or Oasis. I do agree with the choice of Floyd, Pumpkins, and Dave is a given.