• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

I'll just go and slit my wrists now... Thanks...

Nah, this just primes the pump even more. When it arrives here in 2(20?) months, I'll be first in line!

Glad to hear you liked it, as given our past records, that probably means I'll enjoy it as well.

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

A definitre must see as I saw it this weekend. There are not many movies you can compare it with...truly unique plus Guy Pearce is a very underrated Actor. Hmm Tulsa..I guess sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live where I live Cambridge MA. There are literally 75 movies playing within 20 miles of my house. Not to make you feel bad or anything....

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

Alright, I have to add this juicy piece of information. Although it is technically a 2000 film and not eligible for this list, Memento is only hitting most cities in 2001. I have now received enough votes to rate it, and so far, it is earning a **** 1/2!!! This easily puts it at the top of the heap for 2001.

I guess I'll be seeing this one when it hits Tulsa!

• ZLMC: Home   15 years 7 weeks ago

I think you did a fine job. My thinking is the top vote getters can always be included in future polls. Eventually most of them will be watched.

I want to see something I haven't seen before so this voting system works just as well as any other.

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 7 weeks ago

jeff, did he already answer this one?

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 7 weeks ago

smarty butt.

• Movies I've Watched The Most Times   15 years 7 weeks ago

I can get close to reciting the whole damn movie Jim, yes. I would watch that movie 2 or 3 times a day. I decidded to keep track of that kind of stuff when I realized I was rewatching these movies so often. There are others I've seen many times that are not listed. I.E. Dr. Strangelove, Apocalypse Now, Midnight Cowboy etc.

• Weirdest Movies I've Ever Seen   15 years 8 weeks ago

We watched Boxing Helena this weekend and I think I would have to put that at the top of my weirdest movie list. I haven't seen any of the movies you list, though, so I can't really compare it to those. But, it was a very weird and disturbing movie.

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 8 weeks ago

Hey, Jim! I'm interested in knowing what movies you rented based on Roger Ebert's upturned thumb which turned out to be dogs...

• Top 9 Chick Singers That Really Rock!!   15 years 8 weeks ago

what?!....shirley manson doesnt deserve to be on this list...for shame...for shame

• The Album Game III (couldn't resist)   15 years 8 weeks ago

no.3...jim morrison
    no.11...belly

• Movies I've Watched The Most Times   15 years 8 weeks ago

Holy cow! Are you aware that at the rate of one movie per night, with no breaks for weekends, holidays, illnesses, March Madness, etc., that adds up to two years and 19 days of movie watching?! Cool. So can you quote One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest word-for-word from memory?

I wish I'd kept track of my counts for rewatched movies. I was just about to add counts to the DVDs I own, but of course the numbers will be quite low. I haven't decided how to estimate the counts for movies that I'd previously owned on VHS, as I haven't kept track of those, and some I've rewatched a bunch.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   15 years 8 weeks ago

I'm betting "best pair" comes down to Truman Show/EdTV, Saving Private Ryan/Thin Red Line, and Dr. Strangelove/Fail Safe. Unfortunately I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, or Fail Safe, so I'm not qualified to judge.

• Surprisingly Good Movies   15 years 8 weeks ago

I can certainly sympathize with that. There are plenty of movies I hated that everybody else seemed to like for exactly that reason.

I personally didn't have that problem with Three Kings, though. And I thought the gradual transformation of our heros from opportunists to something more honorable worked well. And of course, I agree with buber's observation about it being a provocative depiction of a war that we here in the US know best from the video-gameish CNN footage.

And Mark Wahlberg surprises me every time. I never expect to like his performance, but I usually do.

And the entire exchange around "you mean those little cubes you use to make soup?" was priceless. I love deadpan Clooney.

• ZLMC: Home   15 years 8 weeks ago

Gotcha. That part makes sense. I guess I hadn't read your original description of the polls carefully enough. My only suggestion for an alternative wouldn't work technically with the way jim's got this stuff working right now which would be to put all of the movies in a list and be able to vote on your top 5 (or 10) or whatever and then whichever ones receive the most votes from that list would become the pared down poll. Several of the polls had quite a few movies I wanted to see whereas others didn't have any.

Again, just a different idea.

And even though the war/action type movies aren't my thing I'll make an effort to watch all of the movies that get voted in case they surprise me by being good :)

• ZLMC: Home   15 years 8 weeks ago

Primarily voting by genre will take a 41 item nomination list and pare it down somewhat. If we had 42 people participating in the LMC I don't imagine this would be an issue. As it is we have 8.

If I take the top (one or two) vote getters in each genre and make a second voting ballot with that the chances that we'll actually get a movie to watch (by majority) is increased.

I recommend if you don't wish to watch a war movie then don't vote for a war movie in the final ballot.

I think the chances of a war film actually being the majority are quite slim.

Again, I solicited suggestions from all interested parties and only saka cast her vote for my idea of voting along genre lines to pare down the list. If anyone had better ideas they were more than welcome to bring them forth.

I apologize if my ideas, implementation, etc. were imperfect but I tried my best!

• Surprisingly Good Movies   15 years 8 weeks ago

I have trouble watching movies when I think all of the characters are annoying or stupid.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   15 years 8 weeks ago

Hey Jim! I read your review, and your points are unarguable. As a matter of fact, since I can't really remember M2M anymore, your review is swaying me in your direction. I would agree completely except that I still remember too clearly the urge to vomit in M2M. Acually, what I think did me in is that I expected more from that film. I went into RP with lower expectations, and thus was not as disappointed.

Thanks for revisiting this issue. I too would be interested to see which are the favorites on this list.

• Surprisingly Good Movies   15 years 8 weeks ago

What didn't you like about it?

• ZLMC: Home   15 years 8 weeks ago

What do you think the voting by genre is going to accomplish? I think it just confuses the issue, especially since movies are listed in more than one genre. It also doesn't take into account weights between genres. For example I generally won't want to watch many action movies (I'm VERY sqeamish), etc.

• The Polls Are Open   15 years 8 weeks ago

"have spent a week" not "haven't" :-)

• themed compilation: eyes   15 years 8 weeks ago

brown eyed girl - van morrison
    ?

• books I started but haven't managed to finish   15 years 8 weeks ago

I didn't take a single English class in college so there weren't many then. I'm sure I didn't read all of all of my textbooks but they're not quite in the spirit of this list.

High school on the other hand ;)

• Avoid if You're Pregnant   15 years 8 weeks ago

I, fortunately, have not seen Species or Species II. Also, I think "The Astronaut's Wife" hinted at something scary with pregnancy as well, but I haven't seen that either.

• Avoid if You're Pregnant   15 years 8 weeks ago

I thought about that episode as well and it's classic. That's the one about the woman with pre-eclampsia, right? One of my best friends was actually pregnant when that episode aired. You can imagine the phone call I got (especially because my boyfriend at the time was a paramedic). Anyway since it is television...I'll have to leave it off for now.