• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 2 weeks ago

I love the top 3 as well, and I would have figured Alien and Thelma flip-flopped too. Personally, Alien is probably my favorite, barely over Blade Runner.

• CC00006: Stanley Kubrick   14 years 2 weeks ago

Six scores of 10 and 2 scores of 9.5 are no surprise by the master. I gather there is not enough info to include the recent Eyes Wide Shut and its average score. Personally I love all of the top six, and I would score Lolita ahead of The Shining. I've yet to see Barry Lyndon and Killer's Kiss. The one 10 rarely talked about is The Killing; a must-see movie for people who like heist movies. Actually, I think Tarantino must have idolized this movie when you consider Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 2 weeks ago

Yes, I can't believe that potentially the second best prisoner-of-war film (Bridge on the River Kwai, #1) received only an 8.5 average. Also, Witness should be a 10 as well; grand performances with one of the greatest cinematic twisting plots of all time. Those 2 movies and the top 3 on the list are easily on my top 100 of all time, perhaps even top 50. I don't actually have a list, so I can't say for sure. The other surprise is the low score of Irma La Douce. I have not seen it, but most people I have spoken to speak highly of it.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 3 weeks ago

Virtual Unrealities--a collection of his short stories--is excellent.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 3 weeks ago

those are the only two Bester's I've read. If there's anything else worthwhile beyond them, let us know :)

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 3 weeks ago

It was awesome. One of my favorite sci-fi novels so far (but I havenn't read a lot of sci-fi). I especially loved the old fortune teller lady's hideout in the paint factory - sounded like something Iain Banks would have thought up. I gave it a Fabulous over on Alexlit.

Unfortunately according to everything I hear it's downhill from here with Bester (I already read _The Stars My Destination_). I have most of his other stuff, so sooner or later I'll get to it and be able to verify whether the rumors are true or not.

• Top John Denver songs ever   14 years 3 weeks ago

Does John Denver sing Perhaps Love? If so, I like that one. For some reason we used to have the two best graduating senior of my high school chorus sing it at the final concert. God knows why. Often it was 2 girls or two boys, singing as a duet. Not only do I like it for sentimental reasons, but I do enjoy the song. It is very touching.

• Best Non-Beatle Rock Groups of the 1960s   14 years 3 weeks ago

The Mammas and the Papas may seem lame now, but they really had a very new vision of what harmony was like in a rock group. And I like them, they are also a lot of fun!

• Favorite Mystery Authors (of non-formulaic mysteries)   14 years 3 weeks ago

I just started reading the William Monk Series of Anne Perry's, and actually find them a lot less formulaic than the Charlotte Pitt/Inspector Pitt Series. I actually can't wait for the next book to come out, as I am very invested in the characters.

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 3 weeks ago

This is as great of a place to ask as any. I definitely will do Joni Mitchell. She was in the next five I had on my to do list, and since you requested it, I will move her to the top. I also am very interested to see how her albums turn out. I've little doubt that Court & Spark and Blue will pull 10s, but I am very curious to see how Hissing of Summer Lawns and others of her later albums pan out.

I'll try to post this by Monday afternoon.

• CC00028: Alanis Morissette   14 years 3 weeks ago

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but would you consider doing one of these for Joni Mitchell? I would be highly interested.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 3 weeks ago

Isn't it funny that philosophical principles come in three, and in comedies, so do jokes? Just a thought....

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 3 weeks ago

The idea of this list is to leave your line unidentified as a challenge to other readers that they identify it. Try again. New challenges will be placed on Volume Two of the list. And I hope you appreciate that I resisted the temptation to make a snide remark involving your nickname.

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 3 weeks ago

I would recommend it. Perhaps not a 10 (some of the characterizations are a bit crude), but probably at least a 9 in my book. I'm more shocked, however, by its rating because it used to be a critic's darling. Growing up in the 80s, it seemed every critical source lavished their highest ratings or praise on the film. Now, obviously, things have changed. On the other hand, several of the films gaining a 9 were not nearly as highly praised a decade or two ago. Oh, those fun critical trends...

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 3 weeks ago

I can't help you here, seeing as I have never watched Touch of Evil. When I wanted to see it, it was nearly impossible to find for rental. When I finally found it, I read a restoration was heading for the big screen, so I put it off. Of course, that revival never came to my town, and now the film is in video limbo. Won't somebody please put that director's cut on DVD? After all, somebody already paid the megabucks to restore the film...

If you enjoyed Citizen Kane (which I love), you may enjoy The Magnificent Ambersons. These films are at least a bit similar in style and tone.

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 3 weeks ago

I relate. It is very humbling to approach a director you believe you know pretty well only to discover many films you had forgotten all about and have never seen! I need to get my DVD player humming!

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 3 weeks ago

Entirely too new, especially since I do not use any newspaper critics. I hope to have Gladiator added before the year's end, but doubt I'll have enough material until then. Glancing over the few critics I use that have reviewed it, it appears to it might end up somewhere close (perhaps directly above or below) Someone to Watch over Me, but again, that can easily move up or down dramatically when I get more critiques.

I was a little surprised Thelma & Louise beat Alien. I like both films (have both on DVD, for that matter), but I didn't realize how esteemed Thelma & Louise is. I'm not sure right now which one I prefer.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 3 weeks ago

Off the top of my head, other films I have enjoyed this year include Erin Brockovich, American Psycho, Ghost Dog, and Black and White. Perhaps Erin is the only other film that I enjoyed about as much as Chicken Run. I have not seen High Fidelity, Judy Berlin, or Time Code yet, but I hold out some measure of hope for both of them.

I may think of more later. Just avoid Mission to Mars.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   14 years 3 weeks ago

Gladiator too new?

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   14 years 3 weeks ago

I love these CC lists for many reasons, but the one that leaps to mind at the moment is that they remind me of how cinematically illiterate I am (there should be a word for that). I've only seen six from this list...

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 3 weeks ago

The only two Welles movies I've seen are Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil. I found Touch of Evil unwatchable. I think I only made it a third of the way through. I was surprised by how poor the acting was, and it kept me from being engaged by the plot.

So am I a complete heathen? Am I alone in thinking the acting was terrible? Did it really pick up in the latter 2/3, hence the universal critical acclaim?

• CC00005: Billy Wilder   14 years 3 weeks ago

Haven't seen it. I assume you recommend it?

• Humorous mystery authors   14 years 3 weeks ago

My mom keeps recommending that one too, but somehow I've never gotten around to them. Someday.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 3 weeks ago

Anything else come close? What are the other candidates?

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 3 weeks ago

Alas, I failed to make it away from the cursed time sink (the house, which we are painting this summer). Chicken Run is at the top of my list.