• CC00001: The Beatles   13 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks, Bertie! This takes a bit more work than I suspected, but selfishly, I hope to discover some great new albums through the process. Hopefully, this will benefit myself as well as others.

I hope to strike a decent balance between classic rock artists and newer, more popular artists. I am planning to tackle Nirvana, The Beach Boys, R.E.M., and Pink Floyd next, although I am always open to suggestions.

Feedback is always welcome.

• CC00001: The Beatles   13 years 45 weeks ago

Allow me to be the first to applaud your beneficence.

• A Random Mix of Recommended Books   13 years 45 weeks ago

I would have to second the recommendation of Ficciones. I think Borges is a wonderful writer, with a very unique view of the world. I read his story "The Garden of Forking Paths" as an undergrad and thought it captured the essence of the many worlds hypothesis of physics. The rest of his stories are equally interesting.

• Favorite Fiction Books   13 years 45 weeks ago

Honestly, I haven't worked up the desire to watch the film yet.

• Favorite Fiction Books   13 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks! It is a beautiful book. Along with you, I wonder, why SOS didn't win the Pultizer? What did you think of the movie, "Beloved"?

• Favorite Fiction Books   13 years 45 weeks ago

I admit I haven't read more John Irving, but I plan to. Also, don't feel too bad about Crime and Punishment. It is a wonderful book, but it took me forever to get through, too!

• Favorite Directors' Movies I Like the Most   13 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks for the correction!

• Plays I Dislike   13 years 45 weeks ago

I'm judging them on their own merits. I saw Cats when I was in 8th grade and didn't like it then. I guess it also has to do with the fact that it has been around for so long and has gotten old. Miss Saigon was a let-down because I expected a lot more. I like stories of West meeting East, such as David Henry Hwang's "M. Butterfly." I also heard the soundtrack many years before seeing it, and thought it was beautiful. However, when I finally saw it in London I had serious nose-bleed seats and the actors they had that night weren't the regular actors and it just seemed off. I was disillusioned, perhaps. I still bought a costly program afterward, though. It was better in my head.

• Music I'd Like to Get Into   13 years 45 weeks ago

I highly recommend the Natural Born Killers soundtrack; it contains a delirious, delightful mix of musics, and for once, the snippets of the film work well with the selections.

Have you considered The Trinity Sessions, or do you already own this?

• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   13 years 45 weeks ago

;) Unfortunately, there is no doubt in my mind that I will never enjoy this film as much as I did when I was 15 years old and watching it in the theater for the first time. The film could have used a few more realistic characters and a severely trimmed ending (does every good guy have to have his or her moment in the sun in the last 15 minutes?), but I still love Willis' character and the degree to which the film could stretch one's disbelief without snapping it in two, a characteristic most action films lack. Of course, Rickman is still fantastic. I still like Die Hard to some degree, but that 15 year old boy years ago LOVED it.

• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   13 years 45 weeks ago

It's funny, I just rewatched Die Hard for the first time in 10 years. Alan Rickman is still wonderful, but Bruce Willis (who I like in general) is really pretty bad. Used to be, I felt slight guilt-pangs at watching it because of the huge suspension-of-disbelief required and glorified violence. Now I feel genuine guilt pangs because of the incredible stupidity of almost every "good" guy except Bruce Willis, some painful dialog, and some terrible acting. Don't get me wrong - I still really enjoyed it, but with much more salt.

• favorite directors   13 years 45 weeks ago

Burton has a cameo in Singles as a dating video director, which may account for the confusion, but as far as I know, that is the extent of his involvement with the project. Ed Wood is a great film, as is the mighty Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

•   13 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks! I recommend searching through used book stores. The book is still in print, but since it was first published in the 60s, there are many used copies circulating rather cheaply. I picked mine up for about 3 dollars at a local used book store.

• Fun Movies, Tier One   13 years 45 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if I actually rewatched it, it would have any problem making my "rewatchable" list.

• favorite directors   13 years 45 weeks ago

Great list! One correction: Singles was written and directed by Cameron Crowe. I don't think Tim Burton had anything to do with it. However, Burton's Ed Wood was excellent, and isn't on your list so far, if you want to make a replacement. :)

• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   13 years 45 weeks ago

One of the largest flaws that stands out is the ending, which is basically a retread of the original's ending. I'll say no more about that to avoid being a spoiler, but anybody who has seen both films knows what I mean. Also, Cameron's tin ear infects the script with troubled dialogue, especially where the space marines talk more like a 12 year old imagines a marine might talk like than how a true marine would talk. He also shoots himself a bit in the foot by creating an action film with many aliens. The mass amount of alien carnage quickly lowers the terror the original had established with simply one alien. I have no problem with it being an action film, but a bit more prudence may have kept the aliens even more frightening. Additionally, a few of the actions scenes could have been directed a bit better.

Still, I like the film. There are some nice action scenes, Cameron does know how to build up a story slowly, and I for one had no problem with the young girl and her relationship to Ripley. I still believe the first one is better, and I believe Aliens to be over-rated because it seems to appear on quite a few favorite-of-all-time lists (I haven't counted, but I seem to see it listed more than, say, Citizen Kane). IMO it is a good, not a great, film.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 45 weeks ago

Nah, I definitely prefer "Plain Old Jim." I'd rather be underestimated than overestimated.

•   13 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks for the recommendation. As you can see, your opinion carries some weight with me. :)

• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   13 years 45 weeks ago

You're the second person to claim Aliens as overrated (I think lbangs was the other, and I think he might have also used the word "flawed", but I could be wrong). But so far you've both spoken in general terms. What are the specific problems/flaws you perceive?

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 45 weeks ago

Wow! I debated whether to post number 40, as I wasn't sure if anybody here had heard the wonderful song, and yet you guessed it in less than a day! Correct on both accounts.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 45 weeks ago

Correct again! I realized yesterday that I had shamefully neglected this great artist, so of course, I had to add one. You're right; he has so many great songs to choose from.

L. Bangs (Still shocked nobody has guessed the U2 quote yet...)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 45 weeks ago

Yeah, I had another, more obscure quote by the band, but I'm trying to balance out some of my tougher quotes with some easier ones, so I went a bit soft on this one. I figured most Floyd fans would know any lyric I posted anyway. Great job!

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 45 weeks ago

#40 is is "Born Slippy," by Underworld. #44 is "Down By The Water," by P.J. Harvey.

• currently reading   13 years 45 weeks ago

I haven't gotten terribly far yet, (I've been too tired to read more than a chapter a night yet) but I want to see what's going to happen next, so I guess that's a good sign. I'll let you know more when I finish it.

• Sorry I've been so absent of late. I need two of   13 years 45 weeks ago

It is his film because he is the producer, and he is certainly one of those modern-day producers who has more control and influence over his films than even the directors do. For all purposes, he is the creator of his films. If the script stinks, it is because he has never given a rip about choosing a decent screenplay nor nurturing it till is at least half way decent.

At least that's my take on it.