• Madonna's great songs   14 years 19 weeks ago

No doubt. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Great Films By James Cameron   14 years 19 weeks ago

I have to believe the directors cut of The Abyss is his best work. I love True Lies and Titanic. Titanic is a bit mushy, and Aliens is barely good.

• 0026: DVDs I Own   14 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to read all your reviews yet; I've commented on the ones I have read, and I will try to get around to the rest of them soon. I've enjoyed each of your reviews, even the one I disagree with (Fargo)! You do good work.

• GAME0004: Name the Movie (Weird Actor Pairings)   14 years 19 weeks ago

Actually I was thinking of a different film but that one is good as well.!

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 19 weeks ago

I especially like the first two, but enjoyed all 4. It's been a few years since I read them. I remember being totally sucked in and staying up way too late reading though.

• 0026: DVDs I Own   14 years 19 weeks ago

I rewatch North by Northwest, Cabaret, Pulp Fiction, and The Maltese Falcon quite a bit, and I do watch most of the silent ones often as well. I've seen The Battleship Potemkin alot, but probably partly because it is only around an hour long and is perfect for nights where I want to hit the sack before too long.

Glad you enjoy the list!

• 0026: DVDs I Own   14 years 19 weeks ago

Hey, thanks for cloning! This is great. Having opinions are easy - the real truth lies in where your money goes (which is not to say I see inconsistencies here - I don't).

Thanks for including quality of print notes - very helpful.

I was trying to decide if I should add Alien or Aliens (or both) to my "to buy" list. I think Alien is wonderful, but I find Aliens so much more rewatchable. I think Alien would a a posterity purchase for me, and I can't afford those, unfortunately.

I've heard great things about the Das Boot DVD. Loved the movie.

Do you rewatch any of these significantly more than the others?

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   14 years 19 weeks ago

The Naked Gun - taken from Police Squad!

The only instance I know of where a successful film was made from a failed (yet funny) television series. The TV show only ran for 6 episodes, I believe.

Boy, I'd love to have heard the pitch for that one... "It's a televison show that bombed, but we want to sink millions into and make a movie!"

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 19 weeks ago

Just a stab in the dark... is 18 from Brisco County Junior?

• Best Recent Animated Film   14 years 19 weeks ago

So, Nathanial's sister is getting into the act. Good to have you aboard and its a great poll.

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 19 weeks ago

Maybe one day, the Listology book club book of the month will be featured on Amazon.com's homepage... :)

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 19 weeks ago

That seems like a very good system to do things, Jim. Thanks for your input.

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks to sebreg for getting the ball rolling. I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow up on this thread, as I'm travelling from conference to conference at this moment.

• 0026: DVDs I Own   14 years 19 weeks ago

Within your collection are some of the greates movies ever made. Those of which I have printed reviews on. If you have read those reviews, do you think there accurate in your assesment of the films? I have a review of Apocalypse Now coming soon. You have good taste bangsorama!

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   14 years 19 weeks ago

I was thinking of that Tom Hanks, Dan Akroyd version, which is the only one I've seen.

I don't know if I'd count Galaxy Quest. I was thinking movies directly based off of a series, though I guess Galaxy Quest is so similar to Star Trek that it might as well be.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 19 weeks ago

Any opinions!? There were many parts of that series that conjured up incredible visuals for me.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 19 weeks ago

but of course :)

• Music: To Hear   14 years 19 weeks ago

GBV is coming to Dallas April 13th. Thats the closest they will come to me. I'll be there though, you can count on it.

• Death to the Laugh Track!   14 years 19 weeks ago

Jim, did you end up watching The Job! I missed it but will check it out next time around if anyone can give it a thumbs-up.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 19 weeks ago

Speaking of Famous Sci-Fi Series (and completely off topic BTW) has anyone read all 4 books of Dan Simmons' Hyperion tetrology?

• Book-A-Minute SF/F   14 years 19 weeks ago

I think the funniest condensations for me are the titles I've read yet it's been just long enough that I sort of remember what they were about but can't really remember most of the plot points. I'm still trying to figure out why they make me laugh out loud! :-) That's rare for me.

• Great Films By James Cameron   14 years 19 weeks ago

While not really a straight remake, True Lies certainly took a lot from the French comedy La Totale.

• Music: To Hear   14 years 19 weeks ago

GBV comes to Columbus quite a bit!

• Music: To Hear   14 years 19 weeks ago

Well, I did live in Ohio until February 13th. Now I live in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. I need to get my name on the mailing lists of some good bands and see if anyone comes through this area.

• GAME0004: Name the Movie (Weird Actor Pairings)   14 years 19 weeks ago