• Rock Goddess (Looks do count on this list!)And they can't SUCK   14 years 45 weeks ago

you know brother, she sucks but she is hot. That is Sheena Easton.

• Favorite Comedies   14 years 45 weeks ago

Have you ever seen A Fish Called Wanda?

• Favorite Movies-War Related   14 years 45 weeks ago

If you haven't already you should rent A Midnight Clear. One of my favorite war movies.

• Great Films By Ridley Scott   14 years 45 weeks ago

glad to see you again jen. Gladiator had promise but fell short. It was the british accents and the special effects editing that did it to me. I have yet to see Hannibal, so I can't really tell you just yet.. Again..it is good to hear from you.

• ...the end (warning: possible spoilers!)   14 years 45 weeks ago

In response to your challenge, I offer the following, which is the end of a very well-known science fiction novel from late last century: "Still singing loudly, not looking back, matching stride for stride, they descended into the valley."

• Books I Wish I Appreciated   14 years 45 weeks ago

Indeed. I have noted the same when watching "classic" movies. When watching Citizen Kane for the first time a few years ago, for example, I had to continually remind myself that the "innovative styles and ideas," to use your words, were revolutionary at the time. While still a terrific story (but done to death by now), it is much more fun and interesting to watch the movie with this in mind. But back to books: the difference in my mind between the books on this list and other so-called classics is that I love the other stuff. Shakespeare, Dickens, Tolstoy, Austen, Trollope, Eliot ... I could go on. So my problem is not so much that the books on this list are old. Maybe you are on to something with the "great story" thing. I'll have to think about that.

• Books I Wish I Appreciated   14 years 45 weeks ago

You're right, of course. I was assigned War and Peace in high school (!) and absolutely hated it. When I went back to it a couple of years ago, I couldn't put it down. Perhaps I'll try some of these again some day. Thanks for the thoughts.

• Favorite Movies-War Related   14 years 45 weeks ago

I haven't, but I will. Thanks man.

• Favorite Horror Films   14 years 45 weeks ago

In your pie-hole....thanks for the heads-up.

• Favorite Comedies   14 years 45 weeks ago

Yeah..that belongs here. I just didn't remember at time. Thanks jim.

• Great Teen Movies of The 80's   14 years 45 weeks ago

So pleased to see "Some Kind of Wonderful" right up there. It's my favorite. And you can't beat the scene where the "tough punk" lifts the desk top up to show Eric Stoltz his artwork.
    "Pretty in Pink" is also a favorite, but have you ever watched the Spader version? Simply fast-forward and only watch scenes in which James Spader is somewhere in the scene. It improves the film a great deal. Or at least alters it.
    Why no "Sixteen Candles"?

• Great Films By Ridley Scott   14 years 45 weeks ago

I actually enjoyed both "Hannibal" and "Gladiator". Though I enjoyed "Hannibal" a bit more. What did you think of these two movies, or does their absence from the list speak for itself?

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 45 weeks ago

Zhang Ziyi in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Ericka Christenson (spelling) in Traffic

• THE ALBUM GAME :Copied from oUwilmo   14 years 45 weeks ago

83. aja - steely dan
    78. a farewell to kings - rush

• ...the end (warning: possible spoilers!)   14 years 45 weeks ago

Yeah, I had no clue who had said that line. :)

I think that some of these lines... I'd actually be surprised if anyone has read the books. That's why if anyone wants to suggest some or do their own list, it might be a bit more interesting...

• The Great Black Actors   14 years 45 weeks ago

How 'bout Laurence Fishburne, Samuel L. Jackson, James Earl Jones, or Angela Bassett? And while I don't know if I'd put them on a "greatest" list, I usually enjoy Don Cheadle and Ving Rhames.

• ...the end (warning: possible spoilers!)   14 years 45 weeks ago

No sarcasm at all. I sometimes forget to use a smiley-face :-D when I'm trying to be charming.

If there was the slightest hint of (unconscious)sarcasm, it might have been because I was peeved at not recognising any of the lines. And that might also be why I asked you a difficult question (the answer to which is Robert Schumann who was talking about Frederic Chopin).

• Actors whose ability to act was surgicaly removed at birth but get most $ anyway   14 years 45 weeks ago

:yessssssssss nick cage is not only a good actor but hes a hottie aswell and i think that he shouldbe congragulated on his fine work. he deserves all the respect he can get!!

• Books I Wish I Appreciated   14 years 45 weeks ago

Very true 7days! Although I do like many classics there are many that I despise. What we have to understand is that many of these books were written in a different time and can be very difficult for us to relate to.
    Many of these so called classics had innovative styles or ideas, many of which we would find hard to appreciate because we have encountered them already in so many modern novels that have adopted these changes; therefore, we have become desensitized to them. If you can read a classic with an understanding of literary history I think it'd be easier to appreciate the innovations that the novel added to the literary style. Therefore for those of us who don't give a damn about innovations and what not and prefer a great story it is more difficult to appreciate a 'classic' that has only produced changes in literary style.
    Many people say they enjoy a classic just because it is considered a classic and it is popular to think well of that novel. Indeed, I have caught myself doing it time and time again.

• Books I Wish I Appreciated   14 years 45 weeks ago

I don't think you should wish you didn't appreciate them. Part of the beauty of books is that there is something for everyone. Just because a book is "well thought of" doesn't mean that you have to like it. There are "classics" that I don't enjoy and I don't feel like I should try to like them. You can only get out of a book what you bring to it. I have read books before that I absolutely didn't understand and have come back to them years later and they were incredible. Essentially, the reason that you may not appreciate the books is either because you read the book at the wrong time in you life, you couldn't really relate the the book or, according to your personal opinion, the book stunk. Let it be as simple as that.

• Authors Whose Works I've Vowed Never to Read   14 years 45 weeks ago

I agree that not all of these authors are worthy just because they were featured on Oprah. Oprah is a woman (as am I) and she has decidedly feminine tastes. Her own Horatio Alger life is reflected in the books she enjoys. Just because she endorses them doesn't mean they are worthwhile for everyone else. I guess that is the beauty of books, we can find pieces of ourself and our life in countless books. Essentially, what I am saying is it seems to me that people I know that didn't like to read before have now become interested in reading because of the Oprah book clubs and that is a wonderful thing. Oprah books may not be the best in the world but at least it is more high brow than a lot of the trash out there. I think anything is valuable if it gets people in the library and the book stores.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   14 years 45 weeks ago

I get nagged about it, but only by my friends who don't quite understand :) (and I don't pay attention them anyhow ;)

• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   14 years 45 weeks ago

I totally agree with you. Jude the Obscure is a perfectly awful and horribly depressing book. It is one of the few books I have had to force myself to read. I only forced myself to finish it so that I could verifiably say I read it all and it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

• Size of Listologists' personal libraries?   14 years 45 weeks ago

I'm not quite sure how big my library is, but I would guess around 1500 or so. I have them stacked every and the bookshelves are beyond full. Those 1500 or so books are ones that I want to keep. I have pared it down to the bones so to speak. Someday - my dream is to own a house where there is a real library and it is the focal point of the house. I agree that the display of books helps you to "broadcast" your personality but I also believe it helps to find out what other's personalities are. Usually, someone only picks up the books that interest them and that gives you a taste for what the other person likes. Having books around are a comfort to me. I buy books faster than I can read them because to me, unread books represent possibilities. I would be saddened if I had read all of the books I own. To me, that would mean that I stopped reaching for understanding. I have always believed that you are only old when you understand all the books you have read. Be young, celebrate knowledge and consider buying books one of the pleasures in life that no one nags you about.

• Name the Group/Artist From the Album   14 years 45 weeks ago