user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • Best Novels I have Ever Read   14 years 3 weeks ago

Nice list. Having read my share of fantasy in my day, I'm surprised to see you list Eddings' Mallorean series but not his Belgariad series. Did you really prefer it?

• The   14 years 3 weeks ago

I agree about the acting; Annette Bening, Kevin Spacey, Thora Birch, and Wes Bentley were all great. I just couldn't go higher than pretty good on the ratings scale -- and can't figure why everyone else is so gaga over it.

I didn't see too much that was visually shocking -- even at the very end, when Spacey is killed and his blood splatters, it was pretty clean, compared to other movies and to real life. Three Kings' wound scenes were probably worse, and I'm sure there are others -- try The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover for instance.

I don't see this as a terribly heavy movie, really, nor do I see it as a fun film, so it kinda gets lost somewhere in the middle. But, yes, great acting and great cinematography.

• "FEEL GOOD" Movies (For women only. Sorry Guys!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

A couple of comments on these... Father of the bride will make
    you not want a daughter, 8^) but it was funny even for
    guys. Leap of Faith was rather scary/sobering and
    enlightening at the same time, by demonstrating how easy it is to fake
    miracles for people who are receptive to such deceptions. If they
    want to believe, it won't take much to get them to do
    so. The Money Pit was not as good as the original, Mr.
    Blandings builds his Dream House
    (which is one of my favorites.)
    City Slickers was good, not to serious or deep, but deep
    enough. The right amount of "feel good" plus action, adventure,
    challenge, etc.

This is an interesting list. My wife much prefers "dying baby" movies -- I can't think of any movies off the top of my head, but Dave Pelzer's book A child called it is a good example. Hard to explain, but you know 'em when you see 'em. The Lifetime channel shows a lot of dying baby movies. (I don't care for them, myself. 8^)

• The   14 years 3 weeks ago

It's too bad this movie got the attention it did. I was able to catch this one before I'd heard anything about it, and was truly impressed. The level of intellect was not as much as it could have been and the handling of certain issues (ie. the homosexuality) simplistic, as UncRoger said, but I think the acting and seamless blending of comedy and drama more than made up for this.

I think Annette Bening's acting was superb; particularly the part after she tries to sell the house and has a bit of a breakdown. I also thought that the visually shocking scenes (ex. when Annette Bening's character is having sex in the motel room were very effective and funny.

• Good Sci-Fi doesn't have to be Scary   14 years 3 weeks ago

I agree with the additions of Gattaca & Galaxy Quest. I'd also put these up for consideration:

2001: A Space Odyssey -- Not only one of the best films ever made, but is easily the finest piece of SF ever put to celluloid.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind -- certainly Spielberg's best

A Clockwork Orange -- engrossing depiction of a violent future, but not really 'scary'

E.T.: The Extra Terrestial -- cute & fun

The China Syndrome -- is this Sci-Fi...?

How about Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

I have never seen James and the Giant Peach, and Alice in Wonderland certainly does count (though I really tend to think of that one more in terms of the book). If you read my comments to ender22d, these are the lines along which I was trying to think to come up with more entries. I think animation is probably the best arena for this topic, though my mind draws a blank when I try to think of any.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

I haven't seen any of these movies. I've heard much discussion about Delicatessen, though, and it seems to come up often in a number of different contexts so I think I'll put it near the top of my "to watch" list.

If Stalker fits so well into this list I will definitely have to watch it; thanks for the tip.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

Dune is something I haven't seen since I was too young to remember it. Thank you for the suggestion - I was trying to think of more science kind of movies (as well as animation), rather than just fantasy. I will have to rewatch it sometime.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 3 weeks ago

I'm glad to see that others have watched The Cook, The Thief... by Peter Greenaway. Greenaway is one of my favorite directors and the use of color in this film is very cool. I'm not sure if I "get" the film yet, but Greenaway seems too ingenuous and intelligent in interviews to be deemed pretentious. All his movies seem to use colors to express mood, but The Cook, The Thief of course takes the cake.

• The   14 years 3 weeks ago

While the cinematography was indeed good, and the acting excellent, I found the characters to be transparent, un-subtle, and predictable. Even the story itself was pretty predictable. I'm not saying it was a bad film, just that it wasn't anywhere near as good as everyone said it was.

Rachel thought it weird, but it surely didn't even come close to movies such as Repo Man or Koyanisqaatsi in that department. And there are plenty of other disfunctional-family movies that are just have better stories. As a statement on homosexuality, it was way too simplistic, just as it was with the other topics it tried to cover.

It seemed like a traditional plot-centric movie that gave up trying for an interesting story in order to be intellectual and sureallistic, and didn't quite make it in either arena. It's worth renting, even if just to decide for yourself, but I won't be buying a copy.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 3 weeks ago

Thank you anon. reader! I haven't been on much lately, but I can't believe I neglected to include some of your suggestions. I'm not overly fond of Shine and Love and Other Catastrophes, but I'll definitely check out those I haven't seen since you brought me up to scratch on Muriel and The Piano.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

I agree -- I'm sure there are a number that belong here that I just can't come up with (stupid senility!). How about Roald Dahl's James and the Giant Peach? Life inside an oversize fruit with insects... Does Alice in Wonderland count? How about Mary Poppins (partially, anyway) for the animated sequence?

• Bob Dylan - R&R   14 years 3 weeks ago

Hmmmmm.... Do you mean Greatest Hits Vol. 2, or does your Volume 1 really have two discs. I don't believe either the standard American or British (they are slightly different) releases have two discs.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 3 weeks ago

I believe parsec is a measure of distance, not time. So Han's boast is quite a bit like saying you ran 100 yards in 300 feet.

I believe most of the justification is that Han is just making up an impressive story, and his own ignorance shows through.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

The City of Lost Children
    Delicatessen (perhaps)
    Stalker (definitely)

Ah, well, there's at least two good candidates.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure if this is too castle-y for the criteria, but I have often thought the best part of the movie Dune was the sets and the costumes. I remember the floating light bars and the flying, rotting head of House Harkonan (sp?) as impressively original. Other examples of technology were often far removed from the typical shiny silver cliche as well.

• Surprisingly Thought-provoking Movies   14 years 3 weeks ago

You make some very valid points. However, I didn't really find that the character development was strong enough to overcome my disappointment with the aspects I previously discussed. You're right about the acting - I have consistently been impressed with Wahlberg and with Ice Cube (I think that's who that was). On the DVD, however, I got to see Ice Cube's backstage attitude, and it stank. I lost some degree of respect for him after seeing that (I loved him in Surviving the Game). I guess I entered that movie with high expectations because people had told me good things about it, and so was prone to being disappointed.

Thank you for giving me some insight into why others would like this movie.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 3 weeks ago

The Sparrow is a wonderful, if occasionally depressing, book.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 3 weeks ago

I had not heard that about those movies - very interesting. I wonder if those colour choices were meant to mean something, or if they were used just for atmosphere. I will have to check those movies out. Thanks for the comments!

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 3 weeks ago

Some of my favorite movies seem to be shot with a color filter for the entire film - check out The Whole Wide World and Commandments for this (sepia and blue, respectively).

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Although I have seen all of these, most of them I saw too long ago to remember clearly - particularly to remember if they meet my criteria. Legend I remember probably the most clearly, and you're right...it should belong on my list. The Nightmare Before Christmas actually had occurred to me in the car on the way to a party, and I promptly forgot about it. Another Tim Burton masterpiece. The other two I'm afraid I will have to leave off the list for the moment, until I can see them again. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

• Soundtrack to my life   14 years 3 weeks ago

Your list is what inspired my list, actually. And is also what reminded me to put that song on there (though I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it on my own, eventually). I need to dig out the tape mixes I made in college and put some of those on there. Have to do high school by memory though.

• "FEEL GOOD" Movies (For women only. Sorry Guys!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

Great idea for a list! I haven't seen too many on this list, but I did enjoy The Way We Were and City Slickers (which certainly shouldn't be for gals only!). You may laugh, but I've always wanted to see the mid-80's television version of Anne of Green Gables!

I must admit, however, that neither my wife nor I are very fond of Sleepless in Seattle. Forgive us!

I look forward to seeing more lists from you.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the review; although I don't know anything about Nazi film making besides "The Triumph of the Will"(?), I enjoyed the description of the hidiously cliched characters in The Patriot. My friend said that she found it very Disney-esque in its treatment of history. The more I think on it the less I like the film.

• Surprisingly Thought-provoking Movies   14 years 3 weeks ago

I like the idea behind this list - that you can still find intelligent films when in the midst of lots of Hollywood garbage.

Life was a very pleasant surprise. With Murphy and Lawrence in the spotlight I was expecting a showcase of their comedy, and found instead a "triumph of the human spirit" movie. Tragic yet uplifting. The characters these two actors created were compelling and sympathetic.

The Truman Show was more than movie about a guy who's life is on TV 24/7, or about the phenomenon of the public's facsination with him (although it's about those things too). It questions what makes us individuals. How much does personal identity depend on circumstance and upbringing? And it also brings up (more obviously) the impossibility of containing and controlling a human being. I thought this movie was very delicately handled and Carrey's acting was restrained enough to make a well-developed character with depth.

I don't know if I missed something in Three Kings, but I was not impressed with this movie very much. Perhaps I've read too much literature dealing with this issue, but the whole thing about the negligence of a country against its own soldiers has been done (read The Wars by Timothy Findley). I was also unimpressed with the movie as an artful construction. I watched it on DVD, and so had the opportunity of seeing deleted scenes and the director's commentary, etc. It seems to me that the director did not have a clear sense of the movie as a whole. He tried to put together too many elements, too many scenes he had worked out in his head, and when faced with time constraints, was forced to cut certain scenes. The only reason for their deletion was that there was no time - not because the scene detracted from or did not contribute to the overall form and meaning of the work. But like I say, perhaps I've missed something.

I enjoyed your comments about all the other movies...particularly Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I've watched this movie countless times, and it never really occurred to me to look more closely at Cameron Frye. I love to see something old with a fresh perspective - thank you.