• Odd Songs   14 years 7 weeks ago

Your question is a fascinating one.

Btw, I've just revisited that page I linked and I see the silly buggers have bollixed up the lyrics.
    Here is an unbollixed version of The Pheasant Plucker's Song.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 7 weeks ago

Oddly enough, I was just looking at the list. came to #38 and said "That's one of the Tom Robbins books I've read." but I'm at work so can't check which one. Scroll down and that much had been figured out already!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 7 weeks ago

Sorry. I apologize for the wait. I am can be so oblivious sometimes...

No, I am sorry, 41 is not I am David. Good try!

• Odd Songs   14 years 7 weeks ago

There is also a articulation acting warm-up about a "mother pheasant plucker" Its much longer than that but the trick is to get it right... I imagine the song is similar??

• Songs I'd like to tap dance to   14 years 7 weeks ago

UncRoger, which tap dancing scene by which dancer in which movie is the greatest, iyho?

And you've heard, of course, about the Irish tap dancer: he slipped and fell into the sink. (Actually, that joke might fall flat with you, since the things we call 'taps' in my part of the world are called 'faucets' where you live, I think.)

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 7 weeks ago

lbangs! Calling lbangs! Someone (jacq) has tried to identify one of your challenges (no.41) on this Challenge List. Bin waiting a while. Please oblige with your yay or nay. Message ends.

• So far, I love   14 years 7 weeks ago

Just to say hi, this is a fellow Kotzwinkle fan. My name is Mish, short for Michelle. I love Kotzwinkle. If you haven't read THe Bear Went Over the Mountain, then you definitely need to. Before that book, I'd never laughed out loud at any piece of literature. I find it wildly entertaining. I've also read The Exile and The Swimmer in the Secret Sea by him. I too have read and own the Fan Man. It isn't out dated, and I could see how it could apply to anyone, even today. Just wanted to inform you of my smiliar interst. I'm curious about this book of his...the Midnight Examiner. Looks interesting, maybe I'll pick it up.

• mr001;MOVIE RATINGS(ZERO TO FOUR STARS)   14 years 7 weeks ago

maybe. but all i really did was go through my reviews and started there.

• My Top 25 Best Movies of All time (Ranked/ Score out of 100)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Where's 2001: A Space Odyssey or Dr Strangelove?
    If you can include The Silence Of The Lambs, isn't The Elephant Man (David Lynch) a better film?

Do you really believe that Vertigo is the third best film of all time?

Blue Velvet and The Shining are better than Citizen Kane?

• There's an excellent   14 years 7 weeks ago

"We don't need a film to show us that violence is sordid and repulsive. We already know this." Wrong! Lots of people don't know this, and we need at least as many movies to show us this as present glamorised violence.

• Odd Songs   14 years 7 weeks ago

UncRoger, ever heard The Pheasant Plucking Song?

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 7 weeks ago

Best Pictures of 2000: A Thread

Well, I was going to wait until I got more input from others before I started posting my own opinions but since that's slow in coming I thought I'd kick start things a little.

There's really only one film I've seen this year to which I gave 9 Stars and that is Almost Famous.
    I feel a movie has to have at least 9 stars to be truly considered the 'Best' in a certain year.

Other 8 Star films which might make the cut if I was forced to pick the top 5 (or what I would consider the cream of my 8 star movies) include: American Psycho, Billy Elliot, Chicken Run, Nurse Betty and Wonder Boys.

I still have high hopes for a handful of others (some released, some not) which I haven't seen yet including All The Pretty Horses; Before Night Falls; Cast Away; Chocolat; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; The Gift; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Requiem for a Dream; Shadow of the Vampire; State and Main; Traffic and Dude, Where's My Car but 'Almost Famous' is all I can nominate in the Best Picture category right now.

Hopefully December will be a busy movie-going month for me.

P.S.: I hope you caught my 'Dude' joke. :-)

• To Buy/Borrow, Fiction   14 years 7 weeks ago

I just came over here to suggest The Wind up Bird Chronicle only to find that it's here. If you like it, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is also very good.

• Odd Songs   14 years 7 weeks ago

have ya heard "milk & cereal" by G. Love? a bit odd, if i do say so.

• Great Artists you haven't heard of yet   14 years 7 weeks ago

I've seen Eddie from Ohio on the calendar for one of the local venues for folk music and such, but haven't had a chance to get to see them yet. I am keeping an eye out though. Thanks!

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 7 weeks ago

This list continues to serve me well, as A Life Less Ordinary finds a home. Thanks!

• Songs with days of the week in the title, please add more!   14 years 7 weeks ago

saturday night by the skyhooks australian band 1970s/80s

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 8 weeks ago

XTRMNTR is an excellent return to form for Primal Scream. I'm thrilled you enjoy it. Kill All Hippies is a great song.

Their earlier album, Screamadelica, is also great.

I notice from your list that you are also a Massive Attack fan. Every heard Tricky's debut? It is another great trip-hop album.

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 8 weeks ago

Thank you. Supermodified is an amazing album, especially considering it constructed entirely from found sounds! I have only heard a smattering of St. Germain; I'll have to explore further.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 8 weeks ago

I got Primal Scream's new CD the other day, and yeah man, it's amazing. Definitely one of the best albums I've gotten in a while. My favorite track on it right now is Kill All Hippies.

• favorite actors   14 years 8 weeks ago

Robert Downey Jr has been doing such a fantastic job lately (Ally McBeal) -- I really had high hopes for him. It's just too bad that our society has decided it's more important to lock him away for a bit of recreational drug use, rather than encourage him to get help while continuing to work.

I agree completely on Gene Kelly and Jimmy Stewart, but just can't see Johnny Depp or especially Richard Gere. A lot of the others, I'm not familiar with.

• Seen in 2001   14 years 8 weeks ago

A shame, really; I'd heard such good things. If it had been a little worse I would have moved it to my "disappointing" list.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 8 weeks ago

Let me second that vote for Cameron Crowe as best director for "Almost Famous." Also want to second Kate Hudson for best supporting actress, because she gave a surprisingly sensitive and affecting performance. Wonder whether the Academy will agree??!

• To Buy/Borrow, Science and Math   14 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments, especially on the reading order for the Cohen/Stewart books.

Since you've clearly done some reading in this genre, would you consider creating a favorites list that I could steal recommendations from?

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 8 weeks ago

5 - And these Visions of Johanna have now taken my place... Bob Dylan

2, 8, and 11 sound very familiar as well. I'll ponder...

I know # 7 and the recording artist, but I also am not sure who actually wrote the song.