• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 13 weeks ago

I know you don't like country but you should try the dixie chicks new album, I think it's calles fly. I thought it was quit good.

Tate

• 0008: Harrison Ford's Ten Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

Air Force One is definitely worth a rental, but probably not full evening price. Here's my reshuffling of your list (if I may be so bold) with AF1 included:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2. Blade Runner
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. Witness
    5. The Fugitive
    6. Star Wars
    7. Air Force One
    8. Working Girl
    9. Presumed Innocent
    10. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    11. Return of the Jedi

1 and 2 were tough to order, as were 7/8/9.

It wasn't on your list, but I'd probably put The Last Crusade at 6.5. May I ask why you prefer Temple of Doom?

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 13 weeks ago

by reading your list i must assume you haven't heard eminem "if that's how you spell it" or brittany spears. I'm sorry bad joke :)
    just thought it might make you laugh knowing a little about you taste in music

tate

• 0004. 9 Great Silent Films Available Now on DVD   14 years 13 weeks ago

the general and the gold rush were two movies my older brother had me watch with him many years ago. I enjoyed both of them and when i got to college and took an intro film class I was pleased to see that i had atleast seen two of the many films that we studied. i probably should of thanked my brother for introducing me to two great movies along with helping me to feel somewhat cultured and in the know when i took my film class.

tate

• Wish I Appreciated These   14 years 13 weeks ago

good point yourself, Jim. Glad you expanded your comments. I think I understand now the problem with the film. I was very impressed with Hillary Swank (had to look it up) and her supporting actors/actresses. Truth be told, I think that I was ingrossed by story was because I know self-destructive people who just can't "knock it off". They are "broken people", as you say. Still, all that aside, it was a bleak movie, and not much for idle, well-deserved entertainment.

• Fun Movies, Tier One   14 years 13 weeks ago

I think it was just about as good as a comic book adaptation gets. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan carried the movie, but the supporting cast held their own quite nicely. Some folks have complained about the extended setup (half the movie is just putting the pieces in place), but I enjoyed that. It was well-paced, with enough action interspersed to keep it moving, but not so much as to detract from the plot (such as it is). I liked rooting against and feeling sympathetic towards our villians at the same time, and I liked the way Wolverine was used to poke fun at the various conceits. At the end, I found myself wanting more (which is a good thing, since they set the stage for any number of possible sequels).

I had intended to see Chicken Run, but we were too late. Ultimately, I wasn't disappointed. Worth the $7.00.

• Top 10 Hitchcock   14 years 13 weeks ago

Wow! I just revisited your list. We actually have 8 films in common on our Hitchcock lists! I see that as pretty amazing and selfishlessly enjoy seeing one with such similar faves!

I need to see Spellbound again. I was only 14 when I saw, and now that I notice it made your top ten, I realize it is ripe for a reviewing!

Great list (and not just because mine is like it!)!

• top ten kevin spacey movies   14 years 13 weeks ago

I definitely prefer A Time to Kill over the last 2, a personal preference. I agree that it is a great list, but I would have to flip-flop Usual Suspects (my favorite movie of the 90's) with Swimming With Sharks.

• Essential Albums: Folk-Rock   14 years 13 weeks ago

Great list! I am very happy to see you chose Bookends over the more-praised Bridge Over Troubled Waters; I definitely feel it is the better album.

My, I have got to hear that Crosby album...

• 0010: Alfred Hitchcock's Ten Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

Extremely stellar list, didn't want a Hitchcock list to seem unnoticed. The only slight surprise is Rope, but I recall you discussing that movie in the past and saying how much you liked it.

• 0011: Steven Spielberg's Ten Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

I have watched the Empire of the Sun and Sugarland Express, and I chose to leave them off the list. I didn't like Empire as much as I wanted to; I felt SS's style was often at odds with the film. Sugarland Express struck me as an interesting film, but just didn't make the cut here. I admit, however, that I have not seen the later for several years, and may well like it more if I saw it again. I'll also admit that it almost grabbed the number 10 slot.

• 0011: Steven Spielberg's Ten Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

I know that the cut off is 10 on your list, and it is very hard to choose, but I was wondering if Empire of the Sun and Sugaland Express were omitted due to the already strong list of titles or have you not seen them yet?

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Hey, Tate, great to see you online! I can't wait to see a list from you!

I do like the Dixie Chicks' Fly (I like there Shouldn't a Told You That even more; a friend played it for me!), but Fly was a 1999 album, not 2000, so it was out of the running for this list.

I know you were joking, I have a great friend and critic who recommended listening to Eminem's latest album, and although I still have my doubts, I'm going to try to give it a shot as soon as I find the chance to hear it.

Speaking of country, the Neko Case album listed above is pretty country. I'm not sure if you would like it, but I love it.

Great to hear from you!

• Essential Albums: Trip-Hop   14 years 13 weeks ago

To Lester Bangs and Johnny Waco,

Wow! This discussion has gotten pretty intense! However, this is much too important of a discussion regarding what is being done here on "The Listology" to leave unresolved. I have some final thoughts on the matter that I hope will, if nothing else, clarify my position once and for all.

Lester, you wrote in your last reply to me:

"I do not agree that a critic should factor in historical importance or influence when making quality assessments of an album. That's the historian's job, not the critic. Of course, one can be both, but one should also not confuse the two or try magically to mix the two in the same list."

I reply:

How can a historian help but be a critic with certain tastes and predilections? Without getting too postmodern, a historian, to a certain extent, cannot help but bring their own point of view into their historical assessments. To illustrate, should we expect a Southern and a Northern historian to view a certain event that happened in the Civil War the same? The notion that history is a static and dispassionate discipline is not only an ill-informed position, but a dangerous one in that it is too narrow in what it allows as a possible definition of history.
    Bearing this in mind, I fail to see any "magic" in the two, history and personal taste, being used together to comprise the art of criticism.

You then state:

" "Critical objectivity" is too often bowing to history rather than quality or giving too much weight to the critical mainstream. The tempering you speak of is usually simply watering down one's personal assessments with the majority, and that serves little purpose."

I reply:

While this may sometimes be the case, I think this is WAY too board of a judgment on your part. Someone could just pass off the critical mainstream's opinions as their own, but I think that their lack of depth and personal ability to make unique judgments in the face of their subject matter would show through before too long.
    Besides, what if one of your "CC Lists" happens to very closely coincide with one of your personal lists? Would you like it if I simply assumed that you were, in your own words, "using historical knowledge as a crutch"? There are better ways to evaluate good critical analysis, one of which would be a pointed discussion much like the one we are currently engaged in.

You close with:

"A critic's job is much braver and tougher than that, and a critic should be learned and confidant enough in his or her own skills not to rely on safety catches such as the critical mainstream or history."

I reply:

I agree, but a critic has a responsibility to consistently demonstrate varying degrees of historical knowledge in their work, because their work does not exist in a vacuum. Many different people with many different levels of understanding read their work, and if they constantly alienate segments of their audience, their relevance to their chosen field of criticism should be questioned and their contribution possibly not weighed as heavily. Also, it would be quite arrogant and unrealistic to act as though one were outside of the influence of predecessors and peers in one's chosen field.

In closing, I'm not trying make a value judgment on any given philosophy of critical analyses, I would just like you, Lester, to concede that my particular approach to the art of criticism is a sound one. Insofar as I can tell, this has yet to be done in your posts concerning me. Whether you agree with me or not should be a matter for discussion, not dismissal.

As Theology and Geometry as my witnesses, I remain,

Dr. Nut

• Fun Movies, Tier One   14 years 13 weeks ago

so what did you think of the X-men, other than fun?

• 0011: Steven Spielberg's Ten Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

Forgive me, lbangs, for butting in, but...

Oh man, Jim, you've never seen DUEL??!! It's Spielberg's must-see debut. A meek motorist on a business trip gets his dander up when he is bullied by a mysterious trucker (mysterious because he's never really seen). The trucker's big, fast, filthy-black rig, a tanker, is an imposing character in itself. This basically simple movie is very well shot and edited. No flashy special effects, just a primal story of man against man, or is it man against machine?

• Wish I Appreciated These   14 years 13 weeks ago

I've expanded my list comments a bit.

I see your point. I think one of my problems was that I failed to feel that our main character's behavior was pathological. While I clearly should have felt that she had no or minimial control over her actions, I didn't. So I couldn't feel anything for her. I just wanted her to knock off the self-destructive behavior. That she couldn't was clearly part of the point, but I couldn't get into that. So I shut it off. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch broken people, but this wasn't one of those nights. I should probably give the second half another shot, if I ever have an opportunity.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 13 weeks ago

Bertie,

Yep, just a typo!

Grammatically Yours,

Dr. Nut

• Wish I Appreciated These   14 years 13 weeks ago

Jim, I'm a little surprised at your take on "Boys Don't Cry". I thought that (damn, now that I can't think of her name) the main character's pathological lying and obvious socialization problems would affect you as it did me. Even though I knew what would happen, I had to watch it to the end.

• Recently Seen Movies - With Comments, But No Spoilers   14 years 13 weeks ago

Jim, one has to see each new Bond film, no matter what anyone says about it, doesn't one? The series has become an essential item of popular culture; one can't imagine a world without 007 - it would no longer be the world as we know it.

Good to hear from you. Got the house painted yet? The place I'm living in now is clad in boards made of plastic - no more painting. Pays for itself in the long run.

• A Random Mix of Recommended Books   14 years 13 weeks ago

For me, one Tom Robbins book is pretty much like any other, so you either enjoy or dislike his body of work. Since I like him, I probably could have put any of his books on this list. But I think he's kinda trashy-fun-disguised-as-literature (that sounds more disparaging than I intend it), so I only wanted to pick one, and I thought Jitterbug Perfume was the best of the lot. Or maybe it was Still Life With Woodpecker. Damn. They've all blended together in a Robbins-stew in my mind. I like him. I generally enjoy his characters, light philosophical riffs, and sense of humor. Nothing deeper than that, I'm afraid.

• 0008: Harrison Ford's Ten Best Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

So for this list and ones like it, do you mean that these were the best movies Harrison Ford has been in, or that these were his best performances? I assume the latter, since I know you tend to use precise language, but thought I'd double-check.

Assuming the former, Star Wars seems a bit high. It's been a very long time since I've seen any Indy movie but Raiders, but I recall liking The Last Crusade quite a bit better than Temple of Doom. And how 'bout American Graffiti, The Conversation, Apocalypse Now, and Air Force One. Or do the first three not count because they aren't really "Harrison Ford" movies?

• top ten kevin spacey movies   14 years 13 weeks ago

Excellent list! He's been in some wonderful movies, which makes him pretty hard to prioritize. I haven't seen some of the movies on this list (most notably Swimming With Sharks), but your ordering closely aligns with my own. I might bump American Beauty down to 3rd or 4th, and knock The Negociator up to just above Se7en, but those are all close calls.

• Movies I have seen more than 25 times   14 years 13 weeks ago

Twenty-five times!!! My goodness. That's a pretty high cutoff. Although if I gave it some thought I could probably come up with a bunch. Come to think of it, I've probably seen all the movies on this list at least 15 times each, with frequent gusts up to 25 and beyond.

• Recently Seen Movies - With Comments, But No Spoilers   14 years 13 weeks ago

We've both been fairly absent lately - good to see your're still checking in from time to time! So you went and saw The World is not Enough despite my dire warnings, huh?