• Favorite Roller Rink Songs, circa 1979   14 years 12 weeks ago

Between 1981 and 1985, during which time I was 11-15, my parents owned a roller skating rink. Needless to say, I grew up at that rink. On any given saturday, I had skates on my feet from 10am through midnight.

And during my time at the rink, I listened to what those in the family referred to as "rink music". Billy Joel, Bob Seger, Foreigner, AC/DC, the Cars, the Police, Journey, Phil Collins, Eagles, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, the Outfield, Kansas, Styx, not too mention all the one-hit wonders, like Big Country, Nena, Oxo, Soft Cell, et al. And I've still got all of the 45s!

Nostalgia party at my house! Piano-key ties for everybody!

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 12 weeks ago
  • Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 12 weeks ago

I would also like to see the following:

WICKED - The Story Of The Wicked Witch

Sorry, can't remember the author's name off the top of my head...Gregory something)

THE ISLAND OF THE DAY BEFORE - Umberto Echo

I would have also said FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM, but I understand Eco has finally agreed to a film version (after tunring down everyone--including Kubrick)

GATES OF FIRE - Dramatic story of the Battle of Thermopyle between a crack-band of Spartan warriors and the Persian Empire.

I apologize again, the author's name escapes me (something Pressfield, maybe...)

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 12 weeks ago

WOW! I haven't thought of those books since reading them during their initial release when I was in High School!

I would LOVE to see them made into movies! Or better yet (and I feel this way about the DUNE books, as well), limited-run, WELL PRODUCED, TV series. One or two books per season should be good enough to maintain each of the book's rich detail.

With ILM doing the FX and you starring, I don't see how any studio (or, SCI FI Channel) could go wrong!

I must say, I am waiting, with much hope, for the 1st of Tolkein's LORD OF THE RING series to hit movie theaters next Christmas!

• HOPPING ON THE BANDWAGON: my lyric list...IT'S GROWING AND GROWING   14 years 12 weeks ago

right you are.

#3 is YOU'RE SO VAIN / Carly Simon.

• Best CDs I've Bought In the Last Year (or so)   14 years 12 weeks ago

The internet track you downloaded is probably one of the ones available on the CD Remix Single. There are two (2) singles CDs available: 1. Music album & radio edits and 2. Remixes with great versions of Music by Deep Dish and Groove Armada (to name just two).

After nearly contiunuous "Music" listening this weekend, I can only say "I love it even more." Some of the songs are truly well outside Madonna's usual repitoire, and demonstrate an interesting confidence on her end.

In terms of Tori Amos, I find that I either love her albums, or find them a complete washout, (as the table demonstrates, below):

Little Earthquakes - LOVE
    Pretty Good Year - Washout
    Boys For Pele - Washout
    From The Choir Girl Hotel - LOVE
    To Venus And Back - LOVE

I guess I could even say that I love Tori 60% of the time.

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 12 weeks ago

Hmmm...Guess I'll give that one to you. JLL's recording is pretty well known.

Was looking for Chuck Berry as the artist, but don't have the heart to not give credit for JLL as well.

MarkW

• If you guys will forgive the irrelevance, here's a   14 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like U.S. TV has too many executives trying to justify their existence.

Not that Aussie TV is perfect. Here The Games are largely handled by one network, and the others seem to have given up on any attempt at decent programming for the duration.

• feelin' the need to see   14 years 12 weeks ago

You mean Shaggy?!

JEN where did you get that, man?

you are....CORRECT.

• If you guys will forgive the irrelevance, here's a   14 years 12 weeks ago

I also have little interest in sports, but my wife has been watching parts of the Olympics, and I do catch myself watching parts when their on. Yes, American coverage is terrible. Every few minutes a slick, silly package is shown making every athlete the hero of some once-tragic, now-triumphant personal saga. Of course, since NBC (the TV network) is showing the entire thing tape-delayed and edited, and since many events occur at once, they could simply use prime time to show hour-to-hour events packed. Nope, we get the stupid packages.

• If you guys will forgive the irrelevance, here's a   14 years 12 weeks ago

We've been TV-less for awhile (by choice), so I haven't caught any this year, but I watched healthy amounts of all the summer games in the 90s, and it was pretty uniformly rotten. Too many commercials. Highly annoying cuts from one event to another (usually just as the departing event was getting interesting). Way too many "human interest" stories. I figure the single biggest reason to want a satelite dish is to get non-American Olympic coverage.

dude, Katherine! Here's a funny lyric you should put in which is really weird:
    "...they'll cut your dick in half, and serve it to a pig, and though it hurts you'll laugh, and dance a dickless jig..."
    Hahahahahahhahaha. You should put it on your list, cause I really want to see who will guess it!

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 12 weeks ago

I was just about to get this one, but I have no idea who the best known recording is> The one I know best is Harry Connick, Jr....

• If you guys will forgive the irrelevance, here's a   14 years 13 weeks ago

Actually, I live only about 90 klicks away from The Games, but I have insufficient interest in sport and sufficient interest in avoiding huge crowds to keep me well away. Besides, tickets are bloody expensive and I'm a cheapskate. And the few events that do attract my attention can be seen quite well enough on television.

We've been given to understand here that the Games coverage provided to Americans by your TV networks has had all the juice squeezed out of it by over-production (this report coming from an Aussie currently working in the U.S.). How say you?

• soundtracks i own   14 years 13 weeks ago

hey, i'm so glad you checked out the virgin suicides soundtrack....isn't it great? when i first bought it, it was the only thing i listened to for days. it's one of those nice soundtracks that you don't have to skip around for the good songs...cause they're all good and fit together so wonderfully.

• HOPPING ON THE BANDWAGON: my lyric list...IT'S GROWING AND GROWING   14 years 13 weeks ago

1. Stratford-On-Guy - Liz Phair, Exile in Guyville

• My 5 favorite hip hop MC's   14 years 13 weeks ago

That's apretty tight list

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 13 weeks ago

Yeppers!

MarkW

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 13 weeks ago

4. The artist to #4 is the BeeGees-- I think its really called Grease(is the word)?

• Favorite Roller Rink Songs, circa 1979   14 years 13 weeks ago

It might have been released in '80, but I would like to celebrate Olivia Newton-John's "Xanadu" as one of my top favorite roller rink songs. I would also like to say how jealous I am that you got to rollerskate to disco! I love disco, but grew up in the 80's/90's and got mostly weird metal, bad rap and hip-hop and the perennial "Ghostbusters". I also never got to hear "Like a Virgin" at the rink which is VERY good to rollerskate to as is Prince's Purple Rain album. I love your list, by the way, as I love roller-skating.

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 13 weeks ago

Yeah, knew it was too recognizable!

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 13 weeks ago

24. is Let's Stay Together by Al Green.