• °   14 years 13 weeks ago

hey, thanx for commenting... i haven't been here in months, haven't yet had time to put any effort into my lists... but yeah, those're the ones most special to me so far, that've affected me most - for the better..... have you see them, what'd you think? ~raine (``oddsong")
    ¤
    ‘i dream’

• The Most Visually Beautiful Movies of All Time   14 years 13 weeks ago

Are you open to suggestions for additions to this list? If yes, I suggest WALKABOUT ['71, dir. Nicolas Roeg].

• 5 James Taylor Songs I Love   14 years 13 weeks ago

Good to see a JT fan. My husband proposed to me with "How Sweet It Is" playing in the background!

• best foreign language films i've seen   14 years 13 weeks ago

I'm glad to see someone else who likes ponette. I didn't know that diary of a country priest had been made into a movie. Do you know how old it is? I'll try and track it down. Is the dekalog by a polish producer? I just recently heard about it. Is it worth seeing?

• 25 Albums to Feed your Soul   14 years 13 weeks ago

I only have Killing Floor on cassette so I don't end up listening to it as much as a few others I have on CD. I just saw Cockburn and he put on an amazing show. He and his band exuded such great enthusiasm and enjoyment as they were playing.

• LIst of the most boring movies in history   14 years 13 weeks ago

I agree that A Thin Red Line was quite boring, since the plot really seemed to have a hard time figuring out if it even existed. The cinematography of that movie was absolutely excellent, though. The scenery was beautifully shot.

• Writers I'd Most Like To Meet (Living and Dead)   14 years 13 weeks ago

After R.A.W. wrote "Cosmic Trigger" (what I consider to be his thesis statment), he expanded this further by turning each chapter of "Cosmic Trigger" into its own book. Of these "Prometheus Rising" was my favorite.

• Read Quickly While Recovering from Various Physical Maladies   14 years 13 weeks ago

That was probably my 5th or 6th Dortmunder book. I was recovering from surgery and I knew I needed a book that wouldn't require too much brain power to appreciate.

• LIst of the most boring movies in history   14 years 13 weeks ago

I was hoping to see A Thin Red Line on this list! Finally--someone who feels the same! I didn't even get to appreciate the scenery before I fell asleep, and I wasn't especially tired going into the movie...BORING!

• Overrated Movies - why do people like these so much?   14 years 13 weeks ago

I really enjoyed the suspense of the first film, but in Aliens the exceeding amount of explosions and aliens and shoddy manner in which all the action was just jumbled together took away alot of the excitement and suspense. Another point(although very minor) that bothered me concerned a scene with the marines. The marines were situated inside a closed room, while they watched their tracking device which indicated that the aliens were several meters away. The marines fretted, not comprehending where the aliens could possibely be. Of course the aliens were not on the same floor. The sheer stupidity of the marines in that scene greatly bothered me. Also I hated the finale, with the "queen" alien. That was just ridiculous. Anyways, the greatest disappointment was the lack of suspense. It was still an enjoyable movie, just not as good as the first. Anyways, since this is a Cameron film, that gets me thinking. Do you want to see a horrible movie? I bet you do. Check out the Abyss, a terrible Cameron flick that will make you beg for the end(especially if you get the director's cut like me).

• movies i regret seeing   14 years 13 weeks ago

man bites dog sucked hard, i agree with you on that it was supposed to be all deep and reality check like but it was so boring. i have to disagee on resevoir dogs, shawshank, boogie nights (didnt like the end section though (you know what i mean)) pink floyd the wall made me cry for two weeks

• Give me my two hours back, you thief   14 years 13 weeks ago

spade it is david spade

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Wow! Either somebody has recently brought it back into print, or Amazon found a stash behind a copy machine recently! This is great, great news.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope to finally finish either today or Monday. I'm especially thrilled that you liked the Exile review. That was the hardest, and I told my wife later that day that I either loved it or I hated it. I had trouble making up my mind. Re-reading it today, I'm much happier with it than I had thought. I'm noticing that my longest write-ups are ending up my favorites. Hmmmm....

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 13 weeks ago

This list continues to be marvelous. Great writeups. I particularly liked your Exile on Main Street and Sun Sessions reviews.

But my original purpose for writing was to bring good news.

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 13 weeks ago

Don't forget What Dreams May Come. Beautiful art, beautiful colors.

Also, Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy--undeniable great use of color!

• I've recently become surprised that The Listology   14 years 13 weeks ago

I'm glad you enjoy my list(s). Sorry I cheated and put them in the comments, but that way they're updated automatically. If you like to share your links (like I do), I highly recommend putting them on one of the web bookmark managers.

• favorite directors   14 years 13 weeks ago

Great call with Kieslowski, my fav director!

• Wim Wenders - Wings of Desire!!! Lisbon Story, and the Buena Vista Social Club documentary
    • Peter Weir - Fearless, Dead Poets Society, Truman Show
    • Woody Allen - If you don't know, then shame on you! :) Annie Hall, Manhattan are the best 2.
    • Quentin Tarantino - This one's debatable, depending on your tastes...

• My Favorite Foreign Films   14 years 13 weeks ago

Yes, and The Double Life of Veronique! And, if you like all these, check out the documentary about Kieslowski, titled "I'm so-so".
    [He's my fav director, can't ya tell? :) ]

• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   14 years 13 weeks ago

i am sorry but night of the living dead sucked and was not scary at all. the only good thing was that black guy who could just do anything and was an all around pimp!

• Country Artists   14 years 13 weeks ago

Just stumbled on this list by browsing the list author directory & viewing the lists of people who wrote comments about themselves.

Just gotta say....wow. Have you been raiding my (actually my husband's) CD rack? The only two I haven't heard are Mindy McReady and Gene Watson. I love Dwight Yoakam, Jimmie Dale is very talented, the Mavericks just plain rock. Junior Brown is one of my husband's all-time favourites, but really not my thing. Johnny Cash is a legend, and so cool it hurts. I will have to check out Gene Watson as I really dig western swing. If you like that genre I highly (I emphasize HIGHLY) recommend Asleep at the Wheel.

If you haven't heard it, Dwight's latest (dwightyoakam.acoustic.net) cuts out all the extras and gets down to the bones of real country. Although not really a country fan per se, I am deeply affected by this album.

• Top 9 Chick Singers That Really Rock!!   14 years 13 weeks ago

Do these all have to be modern singers? 'Cause if not, I nominate Janis Joplin, who blows these chicks out of the water. [Oh wait, Joni Mitchell isn't exactly brand spanking new, is she? ;) ]

• 25 Albums to Feed your Soul   14 years 13 weeks ago

Nice to see a Vigilantes of Love fan here. Do you like my favorite, Killing Floor?

I'm also a Cockburn fan; Humans is one of my 20 favorite albums ever.

Welcome aboard!

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 13 weeks ago

I hadn't even thought of this movie (forgot even that I'd seen it). The impressionistic look of many of the scenes was interesting, but something is making me hesitate before adding it to the list. I think maybe colour had less to do with what the director was trying to do than the painting style (which may or may not have a deliberate and expressive use of colour). Perhaps what is also making me hesitate is that I didn't really like this movie at all. I know my personal opinion of the film isn't really in the criteria I set out, but I do think that the use of colour should impress me before I add to the list. The whole movie was surrealistic and, IMHO, overly romanticized. However, I will think more about whether or not the use of colour in this movie is emphasized and conscious enough to make the cut.

If you see the comments above, the only thing keeping the Three Colors trilogy off the list is that I haven't seen them yet. I'm sure they'll make it once I do.

Thanks for you input!

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 13 weeks ago

Whew!

• I've recently become surprised that The Listology   14 years 13 weeks ago

Oh my aching forefinger! That's a heckuva lot of clicking. Hows about going through them and rounding up all the external links for us? That wouldn't be very much work, Jim, would it? :-D