• Great Artists you haven't heard of yet   14 years 6 weeks ago

I've seen Eddie from Ohio on the calendar for one of the local venues for folk music and such, but haven't had a chance to get to see them yet. I am keeping an eye out though. Thanks!

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   14 years 7 weeks ago

This list continues to serve me well, as A Life Less Ordinary finds a home. Thanks!

• Songs with days of the week in the title, please add more!   14 years 7 weeks ago

saturday night by the skyhooks australian band 1970s/80s

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 7 weeks ago

XTRMNTR is an excellent return to form for Primal Scream. I'm thrilled you enjoy it. Kill All Hippies is a great song.

Their earlier album, Screamadelica, is also great.

I notice from your list that you are also a Massive Attack fan. Every heard Tricky's debut? It is another great trip-hop album.

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thank you. Supermodified is an amazing album, especially considering it constructed entirely from found sounds! I have only heard a smattering of St. Germain; I'll have to explore further.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   14 years 7 weeks ago

I got Primal Scream's new CD the other day, and yeah man, it's amazing. Definitely one of the best albums I've gotten in a while. My favorite track on it right now is Kill All Hippies.

• favorite actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

Robert Downey Jr has been doing such a fantastic job lately (Ally McBeal) -- I really had high hopes for him. It's just too bad that our society has decided it's more important to lock him away for a bit of recreational drug use, rather than encourage him to get help while continuing to work.

I agree completely on Gene Kelly and Jimmy Stewart, but just can't see Johnny Depp or especially Richard Gere. A lot of the others, I'm not familiar with.

• Seen in 2001   14 years 7 weeks ago

A shame, really; I'd heard such good things. If it had been a little worse I would have moved it to my "disappointing" list.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: A Listology Survey   14 years 7 weeks ago

Let me second that vote for Cameron Crowe as best director for "Almost Famous." Also want to second Kate Hudson for best supporting actress, because she gave a surprisingly sensitive and affecting performance. Wonder whether the Academy will agree??!

• To Buy/Borrow, Science and Math   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments, especially on the reading order for the Cohen/Stewart books.

Since you've clearly done some reading in this genre, would you consider creating a favorites list that I could steal recommendations from?

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 7 weeks ago

5 - And these Visions of Johanna have now taken my place... Bob Dylan

2, 8, and 11 sound very familiar as well. I'll ponder...

I know # 7 and the recording artist, but I also am not sure who actually wrote the song.

• The American Film Institute just   14 years 7 weeks ago

Wow, Jim! Thanks for the notice. :-)

I apologize in advance if my lists are popping up on the Recently Updated too much. I'm re-evaluating a lot of my choices (see the Comments field of any list) because I realized my scoring system was too top-heavy.

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 7 weeks ago

#4 is If You Had My Love by Jennifer Lopez

#17 is From the Bottom of My Broken Heart by Britney Spears

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 7 weeks ago

Hey, anyways, is #21 by Coco Lee??

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 7 weeks ago

#12 is Madonna's Frozen.
    Gotta say that you are really good at choosing lines. =) There are so many lines that sound familiar, but the melodies just lurk somewhere in my head and refuse to emerge. I shall return!!

Hey, L.,

More than what films and roles you feel will be nominated I would be interested in knowing what films and roles were your favorites of the year.

Maybe I should change name the of the this list?

Thanks,
    Dan

Oh yeah, I bet Steven Soderbergh gets a nomination for Best Director, officially for Erin Brockovich but also for his long neglected work in independent film and as a "Sorry we were so stupid," for completely ignoring Out of Sight a few years back. Perhaps Susannah Grant and Richard LaGravenese will get noms for Screenplay as well...

I have an unfortunate feeling that Christian Bale will be over-looked this time around, due to both the violent reputation of American Psycho and the fact that few apparently saw the film. Julia Roberts will most likely be nominated for Erin Brockovich, and if Boys Don't Cry's indie win last year is any sign, I suspect Michelle Rodriguez stands a shot for Best Actress for her role in Girlfight.

Cameron Crow certainly has an excellent chance at Best Director for Almost Famous. I wonder if Wonder Boys will give Curtis Hanson a second nomination for Best Director and perhaps Michael Douglas a bid for Best Actor. It was released very early in the year, but the film's upcoming re-release might refresh voters' minds.

Does Bjork stand a chance at Best Actress for Dancer in the Dark? Perhaps.... She and Bob Dylan (Wonder Boys) certainly have shot at Best Song. In fact, I wager that the Academy will be more than pleased to give Dylan an Oscar.

Perhaps Chicken Run could nab a Best Picture nomination. I'd be happy.

While High Fidelity will be largely over-looked, an Adapted Screenplay nomination is surely not out of the question.

Just a few thoughts...

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 7 weeks ago

Hey, congratulations!! And thanks for the compliment on the list! You were right on all but #21...keep guessing!

• The American Film Institute just   14 years 7 weeks ago

Never apologize for updating your lists frequently. :)

Ooops. Sorry I was confused. Your new title should keep this from happening again.

I never really answer these questions until a full year as passed. Living in middle America, I simply never get to see the great winter-released, Oscar-primed films until well into the next year (when they finally get released here), so I inevitably end up ruing my answers. As it stand right now, though, I'll throw in my vote for Best Picture to Almost Famous, although Chicken Run comes very close.

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 7 weeks ago

There's a classic vomit scene in Heathers, as I recall:

Heather Chandler: I brought you to a Remington party and what's my thanks? It's on a hallway carpet. I got paid in puke.

Veronica: Lick it up baby, lick it up...

• Songs I'd like to tap dance to   14 years 7 weeks ago

It depends on who you ask. 8^) I'm okay; I've not had as many lessons as I'd like. But, there's a workshop coming up with Sam Weber that I'm going to, so...

• Bad Movies I LOVE!   14 years 7 weeks ago

"XANADU (Olivia Newton-John plays a roller-skating Greek muse. Need I say more?)"

Well, I would mention Gene Kelly's dancing, but then, I wouldn't call Xanadu a bad movie to begin with. (Blasphemer! 8^)

• Three for three: Vomitting   14 years 7 weeks ago

Ugghhh. 'Course, if you've got a dog, you're used to that sort of thing.

(Digression: one of the funniest things I've ever read was a bit by Dave Barry where he's surmising what goes through a dog's mind: "Hmmm. Might be food, might not. I guess I'll go ahead and eat it; I can always throw it up later." (paraphrased) 8^)