• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Herbie, the Love Bug" (1982) based on the 3 previous Love Bug films.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Harper Valley P.T.A." (1981) based on the 1978 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Harry and the Hendersons" (1991) based on the 1987 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"From Here to Eternity" (1980) based on the 1953 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Freebie and the Bean" (1980) based on the 1974 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Breaking Away" (1980) based on the 1979 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Beyond Westworld" (1980) based on Westworld (1973) and Futureworld (1976)

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice" (1973) based on the 1969 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"The Cowboys" (1974) based on the 1972 film.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Born Free" (1974) based on the 1966 movie.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"Planet of the Apes" (1974) was a continuation of the 5 movie series.

• Best TV Series Spawned from a Movie?   14 years 19 weeks ago

"La Femme Nikita" (1997) is based on the 1990 film by Luc Besson.

• Disappointing Movies   14 years 19 weeks ago

Hey, Jim! Just reading over your disappointing movies list. I've seen all of these films except Photographing Fairies and Mouse Hunt. And I'd have to agree with you about their "disappointing" quality on all except for Meet the Parents and The Spanish Prisoner and (possibly) Alien III.

Also I'll have to concur with the running sentiment that the buildup for the movie can ruin ir for you if you are expecting a lot.

I saw Meet the Parents on opening weekend. Knew nothing about it. Didn't have anything better to do so I went and saw a movie. This is very rare for me to see a movie on opening weekend. Laughed very hard. Pleasantly suprised.

I saw The Spanish Prisoner on video and had seen a few Mamet films before that. Heard it was really good. Had no idea where the plot was going. Hadn't read a thing about it. Again suprised.

Know Alien III I was disappointed in at first but I've went back and watched it a couple of times and it's actually a fairly solid film and provides a good portent of things to come for David Fincher. This movie is definitely worth a 2nd viewing.

I think the thing about Robert DeNiro is he makes so many darn films anymore. I swear he puts out one every 3-6 months. They can't all be good. For me it all started with Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein. Up until that point he only worked (I thought) with a few different directors and typically quality scripts. Frankenstein blew and DeNiro stocks plummeted (with me). He seems to have become less discerning. I think the best films that he is in anymore are the ones were he isn't (necessarily) a headliner. Obviously this is all speculation on my part.

Lately for any film that I think has even a decent chance of being good I avoid all reviews, discussion, opinion, etc. like the plague. Most of the time I will check Rotten Tomatoes to see what the majority of the reviewers gave it and leave it at that.

Another thing I do is ignore who's in it. Director, writer and (sometimes) cinematographer are the big three for me. Today's actors are so well payed and represented that most performances do not seem like performances and a good director and screenplay can make anyone look good.

Suffice it to say that just because a movie disappoints me doesn't mean I didn't like it. Magnolia, for example, I like but when I went to see that film I was really set to be blown away because of advance hype and the strength of Boogie Nights.

There are so many old good films which I haven't seen that I am more than willing to pass up the latest marginally decent film from today's top tier actors. Another thing I've noticed is that when I went to be entertained I'll see almost anything in the theater just to get out of the house but when I'm at home and I can either update my Listology posts :-) or watch a bad movies I'll just choose to surf the net.

• Great Films By James Cameron   14 years 19 weeks ago

The Abyss directors cut is his best film , no doubt! Bertie, read my review on True Lies and tell me what you think.

• If I ran the Oscars   14 years 19 weeks ago

Julia Roberts will win but Ellen Burstyn and Laura Linney are both more deserved...

• If I ran the Oscars   14 years 19 weeks ago

Re: Best Actor and Supporting Actor

Have you seen Javier Bardem's performance in Before Night Falls?

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 19 weeks ago

Hint Time! OK, where I can I'll give the name of another TV character that this actor played...

001. David Bruce Banner
    003. Merle Jeeter
    007. George Utley
    020. Dana Sculley [Note: This is not Gillian Anderson. Think...what other actress played Dana Sculley?]
    024. Harve Schwartz
    028. Rebecca Thatcher
    029. Rollin Hand

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 19 weeks ago

sorry, buber...no!

• Music: To Hear   14 years 20 weeks ago

Hey, Jeff, et.al.! Did anyone download this album except me? I've only listened once. It sound pretty good to me. I was a little distracted (doing internet stuff) but will definitely give it more ear-time.

• Van Halen's Greatest Albums   14 years 20 weeks ago

DaveDelV? Have you heard all of the song on each album that Van Halen as put out since 1985 or is this just speculation?

• Van Halen's Greatest Albums   14 years 20 weeks ago

Fair Warning is the album with Unchained and Dirty Movies. Its one of my favorites with Women and Children First and Diver Down.

• Vanhalens greatest songs   14 years 20 weeks ago

I hold to the philosophy that Vanhalen broke up after the 1984 album. You know what I mean?

• Vanhalens greatest songs   14 years 20 weeks ago

God bless you, jblack! No VanHagar in the mix!

A few years back, I played bass in a band and Somebody Get Me a Doctor used to peel paint. I was told by Woody and the famed Woody's Roadhouse in Washington, Mass. that we were the only band he could ever remember who played Running with the Devil, too.

• 10 most respected members of listology(not in order)   14 years 20 weeks ago

don't mention it.

• Best Teen Movie of All Time   14 years 20 weeks ago

You need to add "Over The Edge" because its the greatest teen movie of all time and I can't vote. Thanks Nathanial.

Jeff