• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

I guess I never thought about it. I always thought that "mendacity" is what the movie is about-- no one telling or facing up to the truth. But I can see, certainly, how the crutch is a metaphor for the whole family's dysfunctionality. I slo think that the movie/play (because the play is really what I am familiar with) has more to it than a crutch1? :)

• 0012: My Favorite Romantic Comedies (in chronological order)   14 years 9 weeks ago

I need to see The Awful Truth again before adding it; it has been about 15 years since I saw it, and I was 12 then! I often don't trust my critical decisions made when I was that young. I did enjoy it.

As for The Philadelphia Story, I am ashamed I forgot it and will add it right now!

Thanks!

Also, The Awful Truth, with Cary Grant and I think Irene Dunne?

All great films, in my opinion-- and it is my favorite genre. I would add Philedelphia Story, as it is one of my personal favorites, and take away Chasing Amy, which I did not like primarily because of Joey Lauren Adams voice. Very prejudiced, I know, but I couldn't get over it.

• Songs I've Gotten Stuck in My Head While Being a Meter Maid this Summer   14 years 9 weeks ago

everytime i see a meter maid from now on, i will picture them thinknig "haha. we are evil. fear us."

i think you just kinda made my day, actually.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

don't you think the whole crutch metaphor is what the movie is about?

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

two more for ye list.

"TRON" (i was so thrilled to remember this one)
    "freaks"

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 9 weeks ago

i'm not afraid of alt-country! would you describe wilco as alt-country? i'll have to check her out. you know, i've been listening to the new modest mouse and i'm near seizure-enduced happiness. do you like them? it's damn brilliant. esp. the merge between tracks 5 and 6. i want to start every mixtape i ever make with tracks 5 and 6. it's the quinessential (sic) sum of everything i even care about in rock. rolled into 2-ish 3-ish songs.

i haven't heard amon tobin's latest nor have i heard v.o.l. or murray attaways... looks like *i'm* the one with the sheltered musical taste.

np: horace silver "the kicker"

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 9 weeks ago

When a post like this can not get a response from him, I am convinced that Johnny Waco has disappeared from the face of the planet...

Still with us, Johnny?

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

Five fingers your way!

• 0025: 10 Great Rock Debut Albums   14 years 9 weeks ago

I would include The Feelies "Crazy Rhythms"
    and Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers self-titled debut.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 9 weeks ago

Neko Case started off in a punk band, then went solo as a powerhouse country belter. I don't usually dig country, but her songs are miles above most of the ilk considered country today. Perhaps she is more of a country singer / songwriter. Her fans claim her as Alternative Country, but that's probably just an excuse to like her - most of her fans are alternative rock lovers.

Speaking of Athens, did you ever hear Vigilantes of Love's Killing Floor or Murray Attaway's (formerly of Guadalcanal Diary) solo disc, In Thrall. Two over-looked but wonderful albums.

What do you think of Amon Tobin's latest, Supermodified? I love it.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 9 weeks ago

you know, eric's trip is actually probably the worst band name i've ever heard, especially because most of their fans are definitely going to be sonic youth fans, it just seems...high school. uninventive. i don't know. i really like them though- at least this album. to tell you the truth, i don't like any of their others.

amon tobin is AWESOME. who is neko case? the name is pretty damn intriguing. i'm also really digging the of montreal singles collection. though i feel a bit silly, i admit, listening to a lot of athens music because i'm around here for a short period of time... its kind of like wearing the t-shirt of the band you're going to see.

i'll definitely check out nilsson sings newman. i love nilsson. i even love "the point"...

lv,
    susie.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 9 weeks ago

If you dig Harry, you should check out Nilsson Sings Newman, a match made in heaven. That Modest Mouse collection is great; a collection of the early singles was badly needed. I haven't liked much of what I've heard by Eric's Trip; being named after a song on one of my favorite albums, I want to like them but don't. Maybe I'll have to listen to more.

Sea and Cake are pretty amazing. I've only heard a few songs by the Raincoats, and I have no idea what album they were off of, but I liked them. I admit I have only heard a few songs off Cat Power's latest cover record. I need to investigate them further.

The latest Stereolab album was unfortunately one of the few by the band that I didn't care much for.

Lately, as my list shows, I've been grooving on Primal Scream's XTRMNTR, Neko Case's Furnace Room Lullaby, and Amon Tobin's Supermodified. I am expecting the latest Joseph Arthur and the Chappaquidick Skyline CD in the mail any day now. I've heard the later and love it. I haven't heard the Arthur yet, but I've heard great things about it.

Oh, and I've been spinning my Dylan discs alot lately.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 9 weeks ago

i'm humbled in your response. most people don't venture beyond their columbia house subscriptions. i figured listology folks might be just like other "most people" too. that's just my list from whatever day it was that i posted.. today i would donate my kidney, definitely, to:

harry nilsson "harry"
    modest mouse "building nothing out of something"
    the raincoats "the raincoats"
    eric's trip "purple blue"
    catpower "what would the community think?"
    palace "viva lost blues"
    supersport2000 "pink slip"
    the sea and cake "the biz"

i agree that the new belle and sebastian disc is somewhat disappointing. but tigermilk has long since been one of my favorites, i don't care much for "the boy with the arab strap"...but "if you're feeling sinister" is easily my favorite of all their releases. including that new catchy legal man ep. btw, i think looper are terrible.

have you heard the new stereolab? cobra phases blah blah blah- i can't even remember the title, but the design of it is great and it is really BRILLIANT.

well, that's my playlist for today. thanks for schooling me. l.bangs-you da man.

• albums i would donate kidneys to today.   14 years 9 weeks ago

Probably never even heard them? Do you think us other listers live next door to Barry Manilow?

The Union and Wolfie CDs are fine. I prefer the Fields' 69 Love Songs over Charm, but I can live with Charm.

Gorky's is a fantastic band, and I've liked every album I have heard by them so far. The Eno disc is one of his best albums.

I was almost as disappointed with Tigermilk as I was with Fold Your Hands; Sinister and Boy with the Arab Strap are easily Belle & Sebastian's best, though the EP collection is also great.

Stereolab is one of the better bands around today, although I prefer Noise Bursts, Mars Audiac, and Emperor to Dots and Loops, which is still a good listen.

I still haven't heard all of the Hotel CD, but as I said, it hasn't moved me yet.

I believe you'll find that several folks on this site know more about music than you assume they do. Search around a bit.

Pretty solid list, Snoozer.

• 0025: 10 Great Rock Debut Albums   14 years 9 weeks ago

No doubt these are both worthy contenders. Ah, the curse of limiting a list to 10!

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 9 weeks ago

Thanks-- no course, I am well out of school. I actually chose not to take the "Logic" course in college because I know it would make me crazy-- I took an introductory course that went through each of the most well-known philosophers and what they believed, from Greece to Modern Day.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

Would the 5000 Fingers of Dr. T be different enough?

• Essential Albums: Compilations   14 years 9 weeks ago

Wow! Different from my own list, sure, but I see nothing here whatsoever to argue against. A very solid collection; each disc is a great collection of a pivotal period of an artist's work.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

Yep, it's Dr. Seuss, and he was definitely imaginative! 8^)

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

I was trying to think of Cool World today in another context; thanks for the reminder.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

I have a vague recollection of this film...will have to find it and watch it again. Thanks, Richard

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

right on about a clockwork orange. if that isn't spine chillingly surreal, i don't know what is.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 9 weeks ago

are we allowed to high five at listology.com?