• Some SF Stories And Novels And The Movies Based On Them   14 years 16 weeks ago

Very interesting list. I read Flowers for Algernon and its really good. The film is too as well. A fell of a mouse huh?

• Madonna's great songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

That's what all my friends tell me. I haven't quite gotten around to it, but I notice they run it on late night cable alot, so hopefully I'll catch it soon.

• 5 best musicals   14 years 16 weeks ago

His Satellite Sky is brilliant, sounding almost like Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, REM's Out of Time, and Rolling Stone's Exile on Main Street stuck in a blender. Takes a bit getting use to, as you may well guess, and due to a mastering error, you'll want to pull your bass down a bit, but his songwriting is extremely moving, and the album is fantastic.

I can't believe I just wrote that all as two sentences...

• Madonna's great songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

You know the movie that its from is quite wonderful as well .At Close Range?

• 5 best musicals   14 years 16 weeks ago

Well I think I need to hear this Mark Heard. Yu sure talk of him alot.

• GAME0004: Name the Movie (Weird Actor Pairings)   14 years 16 weeks ago

001: TOP SECRET, a very funny send-up of WW2 movies. Sight-gags galore (I'll never forget the shattered German soldier, nor Peter Cushing's big eye).

• Music: To Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

If you're waiting for them to actually come to our fair state, keep waiting...

Better luck catching a Flaming Lips concert... ;)

• 5 best musicals   14 years 16 weeks ago

Ah, it is all clear now...

Is she the one that you want (ooo, ooo, ooo, honey)?

Olivia must have good taste; she recorded a few Mark Heard songs once, although they were chopped from her album's final running order at the last moment.

• Madonna's great songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

Darn tootin'!

• GAME0004: Name the Movie (Weird Actor Pairings)   14 years 16 weeks ago

#22.Carnal Knowledge A geat movie.

Dan, thanks for the info. I've just been to Amazon and it turns out that Asimov and Silverberg collaborated on three novels: this one, NIGHTFALL, and THE UGLY LITTLE BOY.

• Music: To Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

Dan I live in Oklahoma.I was hoping to catch a Placebo show along with a GBV show.Do you live in the midwest?

• Madonna's great songs   14 years 16 weeks ago

You know bangsie, theres a reason that us Oklahomans have Madonna's Live To Tell top our chart. Because it is a brilliant song, wouldnt you agree professor?

• GREAT MOVIES WITH SPORTS THEMES   14 years 16 weeks ago

Jim, He Got Game wa s great. It was an good story and it wa swell crafted.

• Music: To Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

yeah they do. I cant wait.

• 5 best musicals   14 years 16 weeks ago

You must know I'm not much a of a musical guy. so Grease got brownie points for Olivia Newton John.

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 16 weeks ago

It was a killer. Without going into details, I'll simply say that only the love of a fantastic woman could have ever induced me to sell off the lot. Other than that, it is a bit of a story.

In a way, though, it did help me somewhat. Missing my music and flims, I would often turn to various sources such as the All Music Guide and film guides and histories to attempt to find some vicarious joy. I think I learned more about music and films during that period than at any other point during my life, even though I had very little real contact with either art form.

I especially wince sometimes watching ebay.com. I'm not even sure if that site was working at the time, but I often stumble across a high price rare disc and remember when I sold said disc for $2 or so at a CD Warehouse or some such outfit. That hurts a bit as well.

I'ev not read either "The Bicentennial Man" or "The Positronic Man" but I got the impression that the title was lifted from the former and the ideas from the latter. Or maybe it was just a mixture of the two?

• Music: To Hear   14 years 16 weeks ago

Demos! That's it. Yeah, if I recall correctly he played with them around them time they played Lollapalooza second stage. I think initially he was just touring with them but he might have played on an album after that. He was friends with a boyfriend (at the time) of my roommate (at the time). BTW, I'm a guy.

Yes, I've heard of Placebo before, too.

So do you live in the Midwest?

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 16 weeks ago

Several thousand CDs! That's incredible. Must've been a crushing blow having to sell all of them. At least now we have cd burners and the internet to provide us with some free music, but I still prefer buying cds when I really really like the artist.

• Another Character Game....thanks to whomever thought this idea up.   14 years 16 weeks ago

Here is a Hint on Phaedra. If you think Tom Cruise is heavenly. Then I can certainly say the same about this woman who is still stunning in her Sixties.

This was on television last night, so I finally took not of the actor's name.

23 - John Rhys-Davies, Raiders of the Lost Ark

I'm a bit surprised nobody beat me to this!

• Film Review : GLADIATOR * * 1/2   14 years 16 weeks ago

Boy, I see a lot of my reactions to the film reflected in your review! Another head-scratcher is how this film ever got nominated for best editing, expecially when all the sloppy quick cuts actually seem to subtract from the overall kinetic effect instead of adding to it.

Thanks for the review!

• Essential Songs: Aretha   14 years 16 weeks ago

May I humbly propose.

Bridge over Troubled Water. if You havent heard this version do not confuse it with Simon and Garfunkel.
    Since You've Been Gone-She has a great voice but what gets forgotten is the players she had in Atlantic.

I could give you another ten or twenty great songs.

#19 is the heavenly Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men.
    #27 Phaedra is ringing some bells, but I can't place it.