• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 7 weeks ago

Love the book club idea (not sure if I'll have time to participate - now that this site is magically busier (which is gratifying), I'm busier). A thought . . .

If you didn't want to associate the book club with your "primary" login, there's no reason why you couldn't register a second ID called, "BookClub" or something like that. Within that ID you could conduct all BookClub polls, discussions, etc. You could even adopt a naming convention that sorted the content according to the session. So you might have a content list that looked something like this (dates are the projected date of the book discussion):

• (A) 2001/01/01.1 - What should our 1/1 book be?
    • (P) 2001/01/01.2 - Vote for the 1/1 book
    • (A) 2001/01/01.3 - Discussion topics (with ensuing discussion)

Alternatively, the "BookClub" ID could be used to pick the moderator for the next session, and then that person could store the related discussions/polls in with their "primary" ID.

I'll be following this discussion closely. Another alternative would be that I actually code in some "club" functionality. Must sleep on this.

• Listology's worst movies ever   14 years 7 weeks ago

you're talking about the John Carpenter movie with Kurt Russell right? not that POS Showdown in Little Tokyo with Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee.

assuming we're both thinking of the same movie. i don't know why i like it. i mean my movie appreciation was still budding when I saw it in 1986. but i've watched it since and it's not that bad. i mean it does have a 6.4 rating on IMDB so I'm not the only one who thinks it's decent. i'd probably give it a 7 which is a solid, likeable movie.

the only thing I can think is it was the first time i was ever introduced to any of the chinese mythos in an american film. i've come to like a lot of the Hong Kong film style like A Chinese Ghost Story, Jackie Chan films, etc.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Yes, correct on all! Now get me the name of the last film.

Wow!

• Music: To Hear   14 years 7 weeks ago

hey, i know Guided By Voices. they're from Dayton, Ohio if I recall correctly. i actually met a guy who toured with them as their bassist. Greg, I think?

i'll put ButterGlory on my list. there's always tons of good stuff to hear. it just takes me awhile to get around to it. but i'm hooking up my DSL modem up in the next day or so :-)

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 7 weeks ago

I knew i knew some more. The great Warren Beatty film LILITH is by Robert Rossen. I believe Josh Logan did Paint Your Wagon. Paddy Chayefsky should not claim that one! And Pocketful of Miracles was one of frank Capra's last.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

22 is Cider House Rules not 2 which I dont know.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

22 is Cider House Rules not 2 which I dont know.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

2. is Cider House Rules Tobey mcGuire
    30 is Cabaret Liza Minelli
    23 and24 Dr Strangelove Peter Sellers
    26. Double Indeminty Fred MacMurray
    is 8 Emma Thompson from that movie with Brannagh and Andy Garcia whose title I cant remember but was a pretty good movie?

• Listology Oscar Pick'em   14 years 7 weeks ago

Sir Dan - sorry I haven't had a chance to check this out yet. I intend to. Adding stuff to this site (not to mention my day job) is keeping me snowed under at the moment.

• Listology's worst movies ever   14 years 7 weeks ago

dgeiser1 you know I respect right? you are one of the best contributers to this list. So I am curious as to what you see in that horrible movie known as Big Trouble In Little China.

• Music: To Hear   14 years 7 weeks ago

I've been trying desperatly to get people involved in listening to Guided By Voices and Butterglory. If you feel like it search these bands out. They are deeply original and powerful, not as in loud necessarily, but musically and lyrically. I've heard the new U2 CD and it is real amazing.

• brushes with fame (publishing industry)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Excellent. I love hearing when authors I like are interesting and/or personable. I didn't know (or forgot) that you were a Sandman reader. One thing I enjoy is when authors I enjoy like each other's work. A topical example - I was psyched to see Harlan Ellison's introduction to the fourth Sandman book.

Something you might be interested in bertie recently urged me to hunt down a Gaiman short story called Bay Wolf. He described it like so (hope he doesn't mind me quoting):

Btw, the other day I read a fabulous sf/horror short story by Neil Gaiman.
    It's called BAY WOLF, and it's based upon a certain old Anglo-Saxon epic
    poem - you know which one I mean. It's about a powerful werewolf/hitman who
    is hired to rid Venice Beach, Calfornia of a deadly sea monster (um, that's
    the Gaiman story). It's written in blank verse, and it's brilliant stuff.
    I'm going to add it to my list of best sf/f short stories.

• soundtracks i own   14 years 7 weeks ago

d'oh! you caught me. I *did* run out to get But I'm a Cheerleader's soundtrack, but no dice. I *did* manage to score The Virgin Suicides soundtrack, but I used *gasp!* napster to collect ...Cheerleader. Which suggests to me that the soundtrack does exsist, but searching amazon.com, etc, I can't find it.

Also, I was saddened to find that That Dog had broken up. Really too bad. I like their sound and their song most of all.

• Recently Seen Movies 2: The Adventure Continues   14 years 7 weeks ago

No, I have yet to read the novel. Polling my friends, I have never found such a divided opinion on a recent novel before. Folks either love it or hate it, and the results seem to be pretty evenly split. I'm guessing you are in the pro camp?

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

I have no idea, and I will add it. Great one!

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Correct on all but number two.

Impressive!

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Correct!

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 7 weeks ago

I don't know who's going to start the poll but here's an idea. Since we all have different tastes in genres we should have one poll for 20th century American Lit, another for new novels, another for Modern International lit, then for 19th century...also should have different polls based upon fiction/non-fiction. I myself am more interested in fiction.

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 7 weeks ago

i love the idea!! please let me know

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 7 weeks ago

these are all correct!

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 7 weeks ago

these are all correct!

• Z. GAME0002: Name The Director   14 years 7 weeks ago

Braveheart and Any Given Sunday are correct. I was actually looking for the real director of Alan Smithee.

• Shows I still mourn   14 years 7 weeks ago

What about "My So-Called Life" ? I was addicted to that show...I knew Clare Danes had "IT" from the first time I saw her.

• Shows I still mourn   14 years 7 weeks ago