• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

I don't suppose 16 is Passion Fish?

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

12 is Nobody's Fool.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

15 is Raiders of the Lost Ark, 20 is Amateur, and 24 is Chicken Run.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 4 weeks ago

#19 is the Pogues Fairytale of NY

• The last 10 CD's I have purchased   14 years 4 weeks ago

Then I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

I've heard the Earle CD, and yes, it is a very good one. What a career that man has had. The first disc I heard from him was Guitar Town. Miles and miles separate his earliest and his latest albums. A vital, vigorous artist.

• The last 10 CD's I have purchased   14 years 4 weeks ago

Actually I think I picked up the Afghan Whigs off one of your lists. Different stuff for them and I thought it was great. I highly recommend the Hiatt CD and the Steve Earle one is very good also.

Jim

• Essential Make-Out Music   14 years 4 weeks ago

I heartily approve of most of these (the ones I know, course), but have a suggestion. Dave Matthews Band. Now, I'll admit that you can't really make out to a whole cd, but in these days of mp3s and ripping, an excellent batch of songs from them can be put together. Here's a sample of my *ahem* "Slow Music" mp3 playlist.
    "Lover Lay Down", "Crash", "Say Goodbye", "#40" (rare bootleg), and "The Song that Jane Likes".

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 4 weeks ago

The Second Empire was accumulated by Great Britian in what one historian called "an absence of mind". GB, anti-empire since their loss of the American colonies, suddenly started to acquire foreign lands as a means to create new markets for all their manufactured goods. The jewel in the crown was India, and most of the other world-spanning colonies were used as lifelines to that subcontinent. Morris' books focus on this time period, starting around 1825 and climaxing with the 60th aniversary Diamond Julibee of Queen Victoria to the throne. The series ends with the death of Sir Winston Churchill, who lived through the pinnacle of Empire and saw its dissolution as well. There are three short volumes of the "Pax Britannica" series: "Heaven's Command", "Pax Britannica", and finally, "Farewell the Trumpets". Very smooth writing, very evocative anecdotes.

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks mate - hope you find the copy!

Cheers

ChrisJM

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 4 weeks ago

Yeah, I noticed our lists matched, but I guessed it was probably a computer's fault, not yours. I just hope the problem can be fixed so that it doesn't happen again (please o please). I'm sure we'll hear from Jim, the webmaster, soon.

I hope I still have a copy of my old list somewhere so I can repost it.

By the way, welcome to Listology!

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 4 weeks ago

LBangs,

Sorry, it looks like my list ended up over-writing your list - I think my computer must have convinced listology that I was you. My post didn't seem to work first time I sent it, then it did, then I noticed someone had the same list as me!

ChrisJM

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 4 weeks ago

Aaarrggghhhh!

Jim, do you know what in the world happened to my list?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

• The Critical Underground Guide to Recent DVD Releases   14 years 4 weeks ago

Britney Spears and Steely Dan are going nose to nose, and, perhaps even more odd, Paul McCartney is nominated for Best Alternative Album!

As far as I know, The Lost Weekend will sadly be a film-only disc, making it something of The Lost Opportunity.

The Contemporary Folk Album category is particularly strong this year, no?

• The Critical Underground Guide to Recent DVD Releases   14 years 4 weeks ago

Scary thing is I own the other 2 Discs in Folk also. I must be getting old. Emmylou's is very good. Grammies are so Bizarre. Britney Spears is up against Steely Dan. What universe is that?

But this is the movie section and I think I will purchase The Lost Weekend on DVD. That is truly an amazing film. Any idea what extras they are throwing on the Disc?

• Great Non-Fiction (warning: lots of history books)   14 years 4 weeks ago

Ah, thanks. It sounds good. I will have to add it to my wish list.

• The Critical Underground Guide to Recent DVD Releases   14 years 4 weeks ago

I agree. A fun film.

By the way, I noticed that three of you recent CD purchases are up for Best Contemporary Folk Grammys. The Critical Underground recently voted on Grammy picks, and this category was the most contested. Earle and Harris' discs were tied for the longest time, until somebody finally switched a vote. It is quite a delight to see people get so worked up over folk albums nowadays...

• Great Non-Fiction (warning: lots of history books)   14 years 4 weeks ago

Good question:Sagan uses many many anecdotes to help make his points, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him condecending. I thought it was well-thoughtout, and I am reminded of the book's premise whenever I see TV commericals for tarot readings, psychics, and the like. It's a quote from Albert Einstein "All our science measured against reality, is primative and childlike--and yet it is the most precious thing we have."

• The Critical Underground Guide to Recent DVD Releases   14 years 4 weeks ago

Sween I wonder if that is something like Swaw...Oops should have been seen

• The Critical Underground Guide to Recent DVD Releases   14 years 4 weeks ago

Always liked the "Mighty Quinn". Denzel not his usual serious self. Not Sure I would purchase it on DVD but if you have not sween it I recommend.

Jim

• Great Non-Fiction (warning: lots of history books)   14 years 4 weeks ago

Hi ender22d,

I had a question about Sagan's book. How is the tone? How does Sagan approach "the demon-haunted world"? Is he condecending, or is he just trying to explain things from a scientific point of view?

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked on Amazon.com and it was unclear how many volumes are in this series. Also, I am not so familiar with British history. What period is the Second Empire?

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   14 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim. This does look like an interesting book. I'll add it to my wish list. :)

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 4 weeks ago

39 - She Belongs to Me - Bob Dylan

Have you heard the live version on the 'Royal Albert Hall' live disc yet? Breathtaking...

• If you are lucky enough to live in the San Francis   14 years 4 weeks ago

the answer to "and the quarterback is toast" is from Die Hard 1 when the computer guy blows up the swat team trying to get into the building.

• The last 10 CD's I have purchased   14 years 4 weeks ago

Glad to see you enjoyed the XTC and Afghan Whigs discs. 1965 in particular is a sadly over-looked alubm. They're both two of my favorite albums of the 90s (and they both ended up on my top 100 rock album list).

A fellow critic recently pointed out the John Hiatt release to me. I had no idea he had released a new album. I'll have to pick it up soon.

Great list.