• Songs with days of the week in the title, please add more!   14 years 4 weeks ago

Sunday Girl- Blondie
    New Moon on Monday- Duran Duran
    Blue Monday- New Order
    Wednesday Morning, 3AM- Simon and Garfunkle

saturday night Suede

• What's your Evil Overlord IQ?   14 years 4 weeks ago

It's the former. Here's a quick one to kick it all off and serve as an example:

"25. No matter how well it would perform, I will never construct any sort of machinery which is completely indestructible except for one small and virtually inaccessible vulnerable spot."

That's one point for Star Wars!

• CDs I'm Embarassed to Own   14 years 4 weeks ago

Hey!!!
    The Nada Surf record isn´t that bad

• What's your Evil Overlord IQ?   14 years 4 weeks ago

Just to be absolutely clear, does a high score mean the villians in the movie make many of the mistakes that a smart Evil Overlord would never make, or does a high score mean the villians are approrpriately ruthless. From the list context, the answer seems clearly the former, but then shouldn't the score be their anti-IQ?

• Esteemed listologists: I have finally gotten off   14 years 4 weeks ago

Looks good, though I personally think XML is incredibly stupid (dang micro-weenies trying to reinvent the wheel, again. 8^)

Have you thought about adding a "Notes" feature? That is, say you have a list of recently seen movies. You want to add some comments about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but you don't necessarily want them in the general comments for the list, since it will eventually scroll off the list. You could add a note to that particular list item instead. The note could be either text or a link to other Listology content, such as a review.

One other idea that could be implemented now would be a news submission form for people that want to offer a news item, but aren't editors. Just in case you don't get enough email...

• Esteemed listologists: I have finally gotten off   14 years 4 weeks ago

How about putting the recent discussion posts link on the search page, as well as the main page? 8^)

• literary songs   14 years 5 weeks ago

i noticed you had a couple of Cure songs in there, but not "How Beautiful You Are" from Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. It is actually taken (in many instances, word for word) from a prose poem by Baudelaire called "The Eyes of the Poor," something i discovered quite accidentally one day.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 5 weeks ago

Number 14 is "Number Three" by They Might Be Giants (yeah!) and number 18 is "Politician" by Cream. Those are the only two i recognised immediately. i love the other quotes, and look forward to seeing who they are attributed to.

• Favorite Movies by Genre   14 years 5 weeks ago

I'm curious, what's your favorite pre-Godfather gangster flick?

• Movies That Are On The "100 Years, 200 Stinkers" List But That I Enjoyed   14 years 5 weeks ago

I had totally forgotten about the Hamlet part in LAH. That's gotta be one of the funniest scenes ever!!!

• Six Superb Movies You've Probably Never Heard Of   14 years 5 weeks ago

I can understand your comments about ZELIG. Humour is a very idiosyncratic thing, and it can even depend on your mood at the time. Move Heaven and Earth to find and see WAGES; it starts with a lengthy sequence that establishes the characters and their situation, but when the show gets on the road (literally) you'll feel like you're with them, and where they are is death-at-any-moment suspense.

Well, a movie that treats us to Jim Carrey emerging from the rear end of a rhino and losing a stand up fight with a pygmy gets my vote. Agree with you on 5E; I've seen it again since and enjoyed it just as much. LAH actually made me want to see Big Arnie take on the role of Hamlet (just kidding). Where I live, the word was that H the D flopped in the US because it was based on a cult comic-strip to which it did not live up. I never saw or heard of the comic until after I saw the movie, so I had no vision of how it should be.

• Mundane is beautiful   14 years 5 weeks ago

(This comment was relevant when this list was my shopping list at Indigo, but I've retitled and edited. Now Jim looks like he's playing nonsequitur games on me. Funny weird, or funny ha ha? You be the judge.

The Python book that was on this list, by the way, is Learning Python by Mark Lutz.)

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 5 weeks ago

How bout Pulp Fiction??

• Six Superb Movies You've Probably Never Heard Of   14 years 5 weeks ago

I personally didn't love Zelig. I didn't find it all that funny and it's hard to appreciate the work that went into the movie in this day and age. On a side note I definitely need to check out Wages of Fear.

Well, the 2nd Ace Ventura was horrible but I loved the 1st. The 5th Element was highly entertaining and Last Action Hero has a certain je ne sais quoi that keeps you from turning it off even though it's so bad. Only thing I can remember from Howard the Duck is that the duck really scared me(don't ask me why, I must've been 3 when i saw it).

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 5 weeks ago

It's a dilemma - I'm sure the movies you've mentioned would be highly rewatchable. But I've been limiting this list to those movies that I've actually rewatched, and therefore am certain of their rewatchability. I might have to break down and start putting in movies I intend to buy because I know I'd rewatch them.

• Fast money, baby.   14 years 5 weeks ago

This is the funniest list I have read in many a moon. Great job, and thanks!

• Songs I'd like to tap dance to   14 years 5 weeks ago

UncRoger, thanks to you and Rachel for those three titles. I've seen SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, of course, but the other two will have to go on my list (not yet posted) "To Watch Out For, But Unlikely To See", along with that intellectual musical, 1776.

Your reference to that scene in which Fred Astaire sprinkles sand on his hotel room floor and does a soft-shoe number reminded me of a very funny scene from a documentary I saw on TV years ago. It was one of a collection of famous scenes from British comedy films. This scene was just two straight-faced dancers, dressed as ancient Egyptians, pyramids and sand dunes in the background, and they were doing a rather leisurely soft-shoe shuffle. I don't know why the scene is so funny (and it was deliberately funny, no question), but it is, and I mean laugh-out-loud. Wish I could give you the title, but it's lost in the sands of time, so to speak.

• Mundane is beautiful   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hey, long time no see! Welcome back!

• 100 Best Movies that I Have Seen   14 years 5 weeks ago

Unbreakable??!!

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 5 weeks ago

I think you're also forgetting about movies with a twist at the end [see my list about that :P ], which you have to watch and re-watch to enjoy the meat of the movie. Fight Club, Usual Suspects, and the like.

• Highly Rewatchable Movies   14 years 5 weeks ago

Well, a year and a half after this post, I suppose I'll reply. CK can be less re-watchable [lost in the semantics yet?] due to the length. Just like Godfather, *great* movie, but who wants to spend 3+ hrs to watch it again? It's hard to watch more than once every 6-9 months...

• Favorite Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Isn't Cary Grant the star of Arsenic and Old Lace, not Jimmy Stewart?