• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 5 weeks ago

hmmmmm...interesting...not sure I can qualify "ocd" as disability. (we paraplegics are soooooo picky). I'll have to ponder it some more.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 5 weeks ago

Gee Whiz....Of course, Forrest Gump is definitely going on my list. Thanks. :0 I'll have to ponder the other...definitely a central part, "favorite" might be stretching it. :0

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 5 weeks ago

The disability merely has to have a central role in the film here...be it "quirk", "message", etc...interesting, I'll have to revisit "cat" again.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 5 weeks ago

You MUST see "Passion Fish", the movie that immediately jumped to mind when I read your list title. It is a sad, funny, realistic story about a soap star rendered paraplegic by a taxi-cab, who retires to her Louisianna birthplace and ends up under the care of a series of nurses who can't handle her, and finally one tormented nurse who can. Directed and written by John Sayles it is one of my favorite movies ever. Very rewatchable. And contains the line: "I didn't ask for the anal probe." Stars Mary McDonnell (Dances with Wolves) Alfre Woodard (Eve's Bayou) and David Strathairn (Limbo).

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 5 weeks ago

Rachel suggested As good as it gets for Nicholson's compulsive disorder.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 5 weeks ago

Forrest Gump had two -- Forrest himself and his lieutenant from Vietnam. Also, on a lighter note, Hear no evil, See no evil, with Gene Wilder as a blind man and Richard Pryor and a deaf man who together "witness" a murder.

btw, this is definitely my wife's cup of tea. Mask, My Left Foot, and others are exactly what she likes. 8^)

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hartman was fantastic as the Martha Stewart-ish neighbor in Jingle All the Way. And Greedy was excellent. His TV roles were indeed far more numerous, but every bit as good. He was fantastic as a men's make-up salesman in one episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun.

I was really bummed out by his death too. He was so good, in so many things, and had such a bright future ahead of him.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hello, my name is Uncle Roger and I'm an American... (awww... too bad... we're here for you, man... I was too, once...)

I have been to Canada, though, and do like it... (Ottawa in February is cold though!) Still, I'm in San Francisco, which is nothing if not a little off the beaten path; I'll bet I can find it. 8^)

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 5 weeks ago

Here's another: Austin Pendleton. I remember him best as the driver in Guarding Tess and as the stuttering D.A. in My Cousin Vinny, but he's done tons more.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 5 weeks ago

I dunno if this is different enough... but what about Toon Town in Roger Rabbit?

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 5 weeks ago

the totality of the neutral milk albums is what makes them. in the same kind of way that the totality of "the soft bulletin" by the flaming lips makes it. its too early in the morning (yes i'm aware it's 1pm) for me to be trying to explain how i feel about these things, but let me just say that the first time i heard neutral milk, i wanted to drive a stake through my head i hated them so much, and upon accidental further listenings, they have become my favorite band. ah, i defend. sorry. don't worry. i know these lists are subjective.

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 5 weeks ago

Maybe all I had to do was ask...

I just read that Touch of Evil will be released on DVD in October. I have no idea yet if it will be the original release or the restored version.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 5 weeks ago

I tend to be interested, I think, in Philosophy of Religion. I am most interested in how we can apply our philosophy of life to actually living life... so, as I said, I think the qualifies as religion, even though I am particularly into organized religion. I have to say that in reading through your "Introduction" it was the most clear description and synthesis I have ever seen of the "Logic" part of philosophy. It seems to have encapsualted a semesters worth of boring philosophy class into about a paragraph.

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 5 weeks ago

I've heard a few songs off of Aeroplane and wasn't too thrilled with them. I think I will give their first one a shot, though.

I have heard some of Slint's work, and I do like it. Their EP is especially good.

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 5 weeks ago

"New Day Rising" is not a double album, Husker Du did release two double albums though "Zen Arcade" and "Warehouse", of those two "Zen..." is much better and worthy of this list....fiberking

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 5 weeks ago

I can completely understand this. My initial response to Exile on Main Street was similar, and it is now one of my favorite albums. Perhaps I'll give Aeroplane another chance, this time listening to the entire album.

• 0026: 10 Great Rock Sophomore Albums   14 years 5 weeks ago

Details may vary, but if you like Elvis Costello, I can hardly say anything negative about that!

As for Paul's Boutique, I understand. I had forgotten Nevermind until I spied it on your list!

• Best Albums by the mighty METALLICA   14 years 5 weeks ago

do i know you? yes, i did have a friend who enjoyed the metallicountry song "mama said." not a bad one, but just not as "great" as others. anyways, the symphony thing seems like a good idea, but i found that most of the songs sounded forced... like there was a metallica song with some horns and strings superimposed on it. the two new songs, however, (-human & no leaf clover) i think are pretty good. they almost sound like they were written with the orchestra in mind.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 5 weeks ago

Interesting theory. After Out of Time, REM promised to deliver a rock album. Of course, they hit us with Automatic for the People. I guess Monster was simply delayed. I think most REM fans were waiting for a ripping rock disc, and therefore, I think they wanted to like Monster. I know I did.

I was ready to hear the band rock again, but unfortunately, I tend to agree with Monster's lackluster ratings. A few of the singles shine, but some the songwriting is incredibly lazy, and the production often softens what should be a rough roar of glam rock perfection. Guitars rage, but they often sound strangely sterile or muffled. The sloppy tunes and crippling production never let this album run wild. It is an interesting, occasionally brilliant, but frustrating and disappointing album. I sold my copy off a few months after buying it, and I haven't missed it since.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim. The bookmark helps considerably. OK, actually AOL hasn't said there's nothing else they can do, but I've called three times, and they checked for cookies, emptied my cache, and something else that escapes me at the moment. Each time they told me to call back if it didn't work, but I got a little frustrated so I gave up for that day. I'll call again pretty soon. They have no idea what the problem is, but they seem to think that my computer is fine and that each solution probably won't work, but they're hesitent to say that the problem might be with them. It's not a priority though; with the bookmark I can post fairly easily, and so can any other AOL user with problems.

Johnny Waco

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks for taking the time to read it, and for the compliments. Do I take it your vote is for an addition on the subject of Philosophy of Religion?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 5 weeks ago

It's a good opening line. I don't know that I'd describe it as 'funny', but it's provocative. I've been trying to think of what the same opening would be like if written by a female author. "I kneed him in the groin" perhaps?

• 0026: 10 Great Rock Sophomore Albums   14 years 5 weeks ago

Hard to argue with these choices, although I really prefer My Aim is True to This Year's Model (we never agree on the album, only the artist, huh?). Paul's Boutique is an excellent inclusion that completely slipped my mind.

Johnny Waco

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 5 weeks ago

All right, I know I'm always sticking up for the underdog (somebody use pop psychology on me!), but Monster is criminally underrated. By the time it came out, many people had already decided what REM should sound like, and a grungy, searing rock band was not it. However, Monster is the sound of REM having fun, and the lyrics remain as well-crafted as ever, while managing to fit the louder, harder music. I like the fact that Stipe and company don't go gentle into the good night...

Johnny Waco

• CC00002: Nirvana   14 years 5 weeks ago

I would agree that MTV Unplugged is the most accesible of their albums, but Nevermind, besides being familiar to most people, is also the most representative. This is who Nirvana was, and this is the album that kick-started grunge. MTV Unplugged shows a side of Cobain and Nirvana that may have have ended up being explored more fully had Cobain not killed himself, but considering that it was a posthumous release and so not something to be more fully developed, I have to go with Nevermind as the top choice.

Also, I would humbly like to submit that Incesticide is a much better compilation than most critics give it credit for being. It ends rather weakly but the first 2/3 of the album is quite strong and gives the first glimpse of Nirvana's skill at covering other bands' songs, a trait that would be brilliantly shown later on Unplugged.

Johnny Waco