• 20 Greatest Alternative/Punk/New Wave Albums Ever Made.   15 years 14 weeks ago

Good list. I especially applaud the inclusion of The Pixies' Doolittle, Janes Addiction's Nothing's Shocking , and U2's Achtung, which by the way I must agree is U2's pinnacle. Haven't heard the Frank Black or Butterglory, so no comments on those, except, what does Butterglory sound like?

• Nirvana's Greatest Songs   15 years 14 weeks ago

The inclusion of Sliver fills my heart with rejoicing. Excellent.

• 0035: David Bowie's Best Songs   15 years 14 weeks ago

If it will help to dry that stray, solitary, sorrowful tear, it was on my original list of 20 songs that I whittled down to this final list. It is a great song.

Forgive me, my friend. This list was difficult enough as it was.

• David Bowie's Great Songs   15 years 14 weeks ago

All great songs of course (he has an overabundance of great songs), but I must lament the absence of Sound and Vision and Always Crashing in the Same Car (both Low). Those are my two favorites...

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

I certainly can understand the usefulness of various division when investigating or studying the history of literature or tracing influences by racking the development of genre, for example. This benefits, however, usually cease when I simply sit down to enjoy the literature, and that's the main reason I ignored them for this list, which I certainly wished to be rather inclusive. Perhaps I should have noted that my above comment was mostly in the context of this particular list (and my personal reading).

Thanks for the comments.

• 0035: David Bowie's Best Songs   15 years 14 weeks ago

Gosh, les, good list, but a tear has escaped my eye and is now seeking its solitary way down my cheek because Sound and Vision, my favorite Bowie song, is missing. I might say Always Crashing is second though, so at least only one tear has to be shed...

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

I certainly don't have problem with that kind of inclusive definition; for many purposes it frees discussions and keeps them from focusing on details instead of "the big picture." However, in other contexts (understanding the history of lit, influence studies, etc) I think narrower definitions are justified. Basically, I was just curious as to what your own personal criteria were once you asked people not to bother nitpicking. Later...

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

I was getting to it as you wrote! :) See below.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

As to your question concerning my definition of a novel, I'm rather liberal. Basically, any lengthy, fictional prose work tends to pass over my bar. Sloppy, I know, but I truly don't see a great deal of use in segregating works such as Rabelais' or DeFoe's from those of later novels, as many do. DeFoe's Robinson Crusoe doesn't strike me as any less of a novel than Richardson's Clarissa does, and yet most academics sift the two into different bins.

It's a personal thing, no doubt.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

Hey, you need to answer my criteria question! Very relevant to this list, I think...

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Speaking of Diamond Dogs, I'm excited about the upcoming soundtrack to Moulin Rouge. Beck and Timbaland doing a remake of the song Diamond Dogs; sounds cool! Based on the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack, I think Baz Luhrmann does a good job with the music he gets for his films.

Johnny Waco

PS Glad you like DD better than you did before.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

I can't deny his creativity or his style, but I had trouble putting any author up here whose best book I can only really enjoy in bits and pieces. In fact, I still haven't made it all the way through Shandy yet; I keep skipping around to all the good parts.

Good suggestion, though. Maybe when I actually read the entire thing one day, I will change my mind.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

I think Sterne, on the basis of Tristram Shandy, one of the most hilarious proto-post-modern (is that a term?) novels written, should be included. What thinks you, lbangs?

And I may be entering hair-splitting territory, but in light of someone like Rabelais, whose works came along several hundred years before the novel was considered a Western genre, what criteria do you use in determining whether a fictional prose work is a novel or something else (romance, satire, etc.)?

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Ya know, though it still has not earned a position on this list, I must admit that you are right about Diamond Dogs. It is a fine album, and (at your request) I have been spinning it several times lately. At first, Rebel Rebel was about the song I dug, but over time, several of the other tunes (especially Sweet Thing) also continue to pull me back again and again. I'm not sure how much I like it still, but it has definitely moved up greatly in my esteem. Thanks for encouraging me to give this odd album a second chance.

It is enough to start a Panic in Detroit.

Man, is that a song or what? Or do I just enjoy paranoid anthems entirely too much (read: This Year's Model)?

• 0006. 5 Great David Bowie CDs (+ 1 Compilation)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Hey lester,
    I just got Aladdin Sane in the mail yesterday. I've listened several times, and I definitely like it, but I've got to give it more time to see what I think in comparison to other Bowie. Low and Heroes are still the strong top two at the moment, but who knows?

Johnny Waco

PS Why do I still see the absence of that gem Diamond Dogs? Listen to the Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family on repeat for a couple of hours and you'll change your mind; that is, if your mind is still intact by that time.

• A Great Book on Snake-Handling Churchs   15 years 14 weeks ago

Of course, Taco Bell can't hold a indigested candle to your indiginous Taco Mayos, can it? Anyway, read the book!!!!

• A Great Book on Snake-Handling Churchs   15 years 14 weeks ago

I guess it is alot like Taco Bell - It seemed like a good idea at the time.

L. Bangs (now, more off-topic than ever!)

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   15 years 14 weeks ago

Of course I meant your list of overrated artists, not your "overrated list." All apologies.

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks Mr. Bangs, of course the same could be said of your own overrated list. I believe the inclusion of Pink Floyd and Zep upset a few people, right? Self congratulations to us independents!

• 100 Best American Rock Albums (2000 Edition)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Indeed, and like a good Jocasta, I'm electing to ignore the problem right now.

Did I say problem? What problem?

• A Great Book on Snake-Handling Churchs   15 years 14 weeks ago

Brother Les, at least nobody saw me chugging that strychnine. I had heartburn for a week!

• 100 Best American Rock Albums (2000 Edition)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Yeah, these monster lists are some real Pandora's boxes, huh?

• A Great Book on Snake-Handling Churchs   15 years 14 weeks ago

They swore they wouldn't run that footage. Did they include the scene where they ran me to the hospital?

• A Great Book on Snake-Handling Churchs   15 years 14 weeks ago

How forgetful your memory truly is...I just saw you on Sixty Minutes last week juggling a mess of rattlers;)

• The Best Spike Lee Films   15 years 14 weeks ago

I totally agree; it's also one of the foundational films for the indie film explosion of the nineties. Malcolm X is vastly underrated, if you ask me. Denzel should have won an Oscar for that one.