• The New Critical Underground Guide to Steven Spielberg   14 years 19 weeks ago

The thing is that he's an emotional director. He makes some people completely fall in love with his movies. Plus he has made some GREAT movies.

• 0010: Alfred Hitchcock's Ten Best Films   14 years 19 weeks ago

The Birds dude. The Birds...

• Cool One (or Two) Hit Wonders of the Nineties   14 years 19 weeks ago

Mathew Sweet is more like a 5 or 6 hit wonder. I like Primitave Radio Gods. How about that New Young Radicals cut, "You Get What You Give"?

• Worst Rock Bands of the Nineties   14 years 19 weeks ago

You dont have any arguments from me.

• Favorite Directors   14 years 19 weeks ago

A very interesting list Rog. I dont see any of the big boys so to speak, but all here aree very good directors. I havent seen Redford's Beanfield War, but I loved Ordinary People!

• bands i once thought were promising but didn't deliver   14 years 19 weeks ago

I'd agree about Live. I love their first couple of albums but the latest one was horrible.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 19 weeks ago

What have I been smoking? yikes and you liked him Dogma? He is ultimately why I did not like about Dogma..he overacted and the character is too disjointed to be any good anyway. The first half he is the reasonable one and in the second half he just goes looney when he finds out they are trying to stop him.

Thanks for the other agreements,I loved Swimming with Sharks. For the longest time it has been my recommendation to people who are looking for something different when they go to a video store.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 19 weeks ago

He was so good in that movie, So against Type. I sometimes think the relationship he had with the Mrs. mirrors my own marriage too closely. A great movie about adult relationships...

Thanks for the Chasing Amy agreement.

• bands with stand-up drummers   14 years 19 weeks ago

i must say that, as a drummer, i disagree with much of your list. although i respect everyone's opinions when it comes to music (it is so very personal), there are some universal things like skill) which make people great musicians. it also bothered me that although you hadn't heard 6 of the bands on the list, you were content to place them in this category.

so, if i may...

matt cameron from soundgarden (and now pearl jam); kevin coultas from rodan; doug scharin from rex, HIM, june of 44, codeine, and the letter e; neil peart from rush (voted best drummer in the universe so many times they had to bar him so others could win); mitch mitchell from the jimi hendrix experience; keith moon from the who; damon che from don caballero (words can't describe); zakir hussein (ravi shankar's drummer); trilok gurtu (one of the best fusion drummers around); and carter beauford of the dave matthews band (for the popular music likers).

contrary to popular belief, mickey hart of the grateful dead is NOT a good drummer. he just happens to know a lot of good drummers and weasel his name onto things they do so that makes him seem like he knows what he's doing.

obviously, this list could go on and on ( i didn't even include the jazz greats) and everyone has their tastes, but no matter the style, you have to respect talent. and if you haven't heard them for yourself, why judge? your other lists seemed to be full of personal inspection and insight and i'd like to see that here.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 19 weeks ago

Kirk Douglas - Yes, yes, yes! Stellar choice. Hollywood hunk plays bookish teacher and actually pulls it off beautifully. An under-rated film, that one is.

The Tea Party, without a doubt.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 19 weeks ago

I'm with jgandcag, here. Affleck was great in Chasing Amy.

By the way, Juliette Lewis was also quite good in Husbands and Wives and Cape Fear, IMHO.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 19 weeks ago

What you been smokin'!? Ben Affleck was abysmal and annoying in Chasing Amy. He had that impossibly long monologue in the car during which I really wanted to get up and leave, it was so painful. IMHO the far better role for him was in Dogma.

Other than that I agree heartily with most of your decisions, particularly Tom Hanks, Nicholas Cage, Kevin Spacey and Johnny Depp. Incidentally, What's Eating Gilbert Grape is also Leonardo DiCaprio's best work, and the only role played by Juliette Lewis that didn't seriously irritate me. And I'm very glad to see someone else who saw, and liked, Swimming With Sharks. That movie hits a chord with everyone who's ever hated their boss.

Maybe "entirely too many" is a bit harsh. What I really mean is that I could probably trim 1 or 2 5-stars from above and not lose any sleep over it.

• Actor's Best Roles   14 years 19 weeks ago

Great list, and many I agree on!

I'm one of those weirdos who actually believe Nic Cage's best acting thus far is Face/Off. He had to lurch from evil to pitiful, and I thought it played up to both of his acting strengths quite well.

• Fictional Novels Based on Bible Stories   14 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out some reviews on the book and it sounds enjoyable.

While I actually believe Duel and Close Encounters to be two of his greatest films, I wholeheartedly agree. I also believe there are entirely too many 5 stars up above.

Way too many five stars for this guy. ET and Close Encounters are ok movies but please there are flaws all over them. I love Duel but "A masterpiece; these are rare" I dont think so.
    Just my opinion. Jaws and Raiders are his best.

• Best. Britney. Ever.   14 years 19 weeks ago

No, it's not Canadian. The first time I ever came across it is in El Reg.

• Books read in 2001   14 years 19 weeks ago

Hey, Timepiec! Which end of this list is your most recent reads?

• Fictional Novels Based on Bible Stories   14 years 19 weeks ago

How about Sarah: Women of Genesis by Orson Scott Card?

• Great Films By Stanley Kubrick   14 years 19 weeks ago

isn't brilliant better than great?! :-) also have you seen Paths of Glory? I think that film is one of (if not) the best film Stanley Kubrick ever made. and what about The Killing? I'd be curious to know which Kubrick films you haven't seen yet, if any.

• Going Solo: Successful Solo Artists   14 years 19 weeks ago

How about Eric Clapton (Cream)? Mark Knoppfler (Dire Straits)?

• Literature of the Cinema: A Challenge   14 years 19 weeks ago

Bingo! It's a coffee table book... 8^)

• Favorite Directors   14 years 19 weeks ago

I'm not sure who the big boys are, so I just have to go with the ones who did my favorite movies. 8^)

The Millagro Beanfield War is great, with a lot of not-quite-superstars.