user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 2 weeks ago

It didn't come out that way. I just lament my lack of experience with classic movies and regret not being able to put any on there. I was a little shocked myself that it took so long for someone to inject some classics. I do honestly thank you for your contributions.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 2 weeks ago

Once again, I appreciate your support, Jim! I'd love to see your "to listen to" list; perhaps I'll have to create one myself!

• Critics' darlings I don't adore   14 years 2 weeks ago

Snoozer
    Actually, this list merely refers to artists I consider a bit overrated, not ones I dislike. I like The Velvet Underground and Husker Du, but I don't hold them in as high of esteem as many critics do. In the case of Big Star, I do genuinely dislike them and consider their conception of power pop anything but part of a "whole genre of experimental pop music." Innovative, yes. Experimental, no. There are quite a few experimental artists that I think are deserving of every bit of praise that comes their way, including Frank Zappa, Brian Eno, Eno-era Roxy Music, "Heroes"/Low-era Bowie, Pere Ubu, Suicide, and Pavement. Elliot Smith is also good, although Stereolab is a bit precious for me.

Johnny Waco

• Favorite Actors and the Movies I Most Liked Them In   14 years 2 weeks ago

Sorry, I had to make the distinction "famous" people, which lessens your qualification to make the list. Perhaps if I could do a non-media favorite people list, or rather a "favorite people on listology" list...

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 2 weeks ago

I did not intend it to be a personal attack. I hope it didn't came out that way. Actually, I was shocked that some of the other contributors who have seen a ton of movies did not point out the exclusion of classic actors.

• A Random Mix of Recommended Books   14 years 2 weeks ago

what's the skinny (i hate that expression and don't know why i used it) on "jitterbug perfume"? i picked it up when i was in high school and got too neurotic to get past twenty pages but don't remember why. any reason why it's good?

• My Current Playlist (Labor Day, 1999)   14 years 2 weeks ago

the geraldine fibbers- gosh. what a lost gem. where are they these days anyway? did you hear "butch"? i thought it was hideous... but i do love the fibbers.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 2 weeks ago

Did you edit/create some of your "Essential Albums" lists yesterday? If so, how did you do it? Did you use a different machine, or did you find a way around the problem?

• curiosity may lead me...   14 years 2 weeks ago

shudder to think are an easy one off your list- you dig "velvet goldmine"? they're responsible for most of the soundtrack. they put on a crazy good live show.

• dying to be read   14 years 2 weeks ago

have you read "girlfriend in a coma"? the sticky soap-y plot had me going but packed a much bigger punch for me than gen x. shampoo planet was...entertaining. i'm reading miss wyoming right now. i'm not liking it much. too bad.

(i've admittedly declared this a coupland summer, by the way.)

• San Francisco Songs   14 years 2 weeks ago

"come back from san francisco" the magnetic fields

not a well known one, but with the killer and memorable opening line: "come back from san francisco, it can't be all that pretty"

• People I can recognize just by the sound of their guitar   14 years 2 weeks ago

hey jimi...someone's callin your name...hey jimi...i think i hear it again...

how about robert johnson?
    how about kurt cobain?
    how about JIMI JIMI JIMI?

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 2 weeks ago

Wow, your fiftieth CC list! Congrats! I wish I had more to contribute to them comment-wise, but I don't feel knowledgable enough in most cases. Sure do like reading them, though. I'm going to have to start a "to listen to" list. Thanks!

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

does the disability have to be the quirk to make it to your list? how about the disability being the message? i vote "cat on a hot tin roof"

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 2 weeks ago

clarification:

slint is a band.
    "in the aeroplane over the sea" is an album by neutral milk hotel.

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 2 weeks ago

or "in the aeroplane over the sea". you might also do some good by checking out slint- some sort of common denominator of bonnie "prince" billy and some other louisville and chicago rockers.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 2 weeks ago

How can you have this list without listing some of the greatest classic supporting actors. Take a look at these resumes:
    Claude Rains - Casablanca, Notorious, Lawrence of Arabia, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Now Voyager, Mr. Skeffington, Angel on My Shoulder, and Passgae to Marseilles.

Lionel Barrymore - It's a Wonderful Life, You Can't Take It With You, Key Largo, A Guy Named Joe, Since You Went Away, Camille, Dinner at Eight, Grand Hotel, and Duel in the Sun.

Walter Brennan - Meet John Doe, To Have and Have Not, My Darling Clementine, Sergeant York, Pride of the Yankees, How the West Was Won, Bad Day at Black Rock, Red River, and Rio Bravo.

Robert Shaw - Jaws, From Russia With Love, The Deep, The Sting, Man for All Seasons, Battle of the Bulge, Lavendar Hill Mob, Black Sunday, and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three.

Shelley Winters - A Place in the Sun, Night of the Hunter, Diary of Anne Frank, Lolita, Alfie, A Patch of Blue, The Poseidon Adventure, and The Tenant.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 2 weeks ago

And I eagerly await your analysis and insights. I greatly respect your vast knowledge and unique yet superior taste in rock music. I am sure to find your comments enlightening. Thanks for spending the time to read them and to comment on them.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 2 weeks ago

Hey Mr. Bangs, I'm eagerly printing off these exhaustive commentaries and rankings so that I can study them a little more carefully and report back to you. I look forward to reading your analysis and insights.

Johnny Waco

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 2 weeks ago

Les, Excellent choice for your fiftieth list; there's not a whole lot to dispute here. I haven't heard the three lowest ranking albums, and if I ever do, I hope to be pleasantly surprised by a little wheat among the chaff, but who knows? I do think that critics should give Easy Rider a little more of a chance; its a quiet, unassuming album that slowly grows on you. It will never be a classic, but I think its low key nature hurts it.

Johnny Waco

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 2 weeks ago

I did post and revise some new lists yesterday, but I had to log off of AOL and sign on with a different screen name each time I wanted to post something. I called the AOL/Windows number and they helped me do several things, but to no avail. Both my computer, which is a little older and uses Windows 95, and my parents', which is only a few months old and has Windows 98, have the same problem. I think the problem must lie with AOL, not individual users' computers. I don't know why some AOL users have no problems and others do, but I honestly think that the problem has to involve AOL.
    Also, Jim, how difficult would it be to install a log out button on another page besides the "My Lists" page? If users having trouble could go back to the Listology main page and then log out and re-log in, it might help matters, at least until this gets ironed out. Thanks for the effort you've put in trying to clear everthing up.

Johnny Waco

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 2 weeks ago

Yes, nadine, I probably should add an example of Applied Philosophy to my Introduction. The main areas, traditionally, have been Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Science, and Political Philosophy; but recently (= in the last 25 years or so), Environmental Philosophy has grown large. There's also Applied Ethics, which has many subdivisions, e.g., Bioethics (= largely, Medical Ethics, including the ethics of gene technology). So, as you can see, there are dozens of topics to choose from. Any of these interest you?

• Nominees for Kick-Ass Female Performances   14 years 2 weeks ago

Julianne Moore probably never should have been on the soap opera As the World Turns, but Meg Ryan got her start there too....

• Favorite Detective Fiction Authors   14 years 2 weeks ago

Just FYI, Ngaio Marsh wrote the Roderick Alleyn novels, PD James' very literary detective is Adam Dagleish. Also I would add my personal favorite Amanda Cross/Carolyn Heilebrun as another literary detective.

• 0014: The 100 Best Rock Albums (91-100)   14 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the compliment. I'm interested to hear if you continue to like the list as it grows. I do not hate the "Human Wheels" single, but I do wonder why it was chosen as the single. I do find it a bit monotonous and greatly favor most any other song on the album. Of course, I'm an Okie, which...well...I'm not sure what that means.