• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 10 weeks ago

ok..I'll go next

• Movies on my "To Watch" List   15 years 10 weeks ago

No, I have not. I take care to remove things from the list once I've seen them. "Ordinary People" did floor me, by the way. I totally understood it, having gone through depression and the loss of my mother.
    The reason I don't click down the list faster, however, is that sometimes I just want to be entertained, and not do the work that watching a great film demands. Watching "Taxi Driver" while paying close attention and even taking a few notes was way more rewarding than the first time I watched it, when I was just in the mood for a movie, not a film.
    So I try only to watch the great ones when my mind is ready to do some work. Out of respect, I guess. Anyway, I'm reading Middlemarch right now, so my mind is doing a lot of work in that avenue. But the Listology movie club's advent is a great thing for my cinematic education. Great to share viewpoints with other intelligent people such as yourself.

• canadian musicians i don't love   15 years 10 weeks ago

i guess the type would be rock-and-roll.

• To Moderate Or Not?   15 years 10 weeks ago

Jim, we need to do what we can, I feel, to make listology a free site. Paying would be bad for members..especially poor ones like me. However, donations from people should be a possibly made available. I would donate cash to keep the best site on the internet up and running, and I'm sure others would as well. I think you've done a great job with this site.

• Great Films By Stanley Kubrick   15 years 10 weeks ago

no biggy bangsometer

• The Long Haul: Financial Self-Sufficience   15 years 10 weeks ago

Hey Jim! I like dgeiser's idea of a free trial period. I got addicted pretty quickly, and it seems to me the fee wouldn't affect TL's demographics much. The people who come once or twice and leave would be the same, at least. I for one have no problem paying for the use of this wonderful site!

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

You should create an area where we can submit short stories and poetry. I'd be down with that

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

I find it curious that you and antigravity have the same password.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks for the corrections. As usual, you were absolutely right - I copied the text directly over from a Word document. Due to your help, I'll now know better in the future.

Again, thanks.

• To Moderate Or Not?   15 years 10 weeks ago

Another alternative is to give trusted members moderation capabilities - in other words, allow them to delete posts by other people. As long as the privelege isn't given to too many people, it would work OK. And If you had a dozen or so people, most discussions would get looked at.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

Oh, yes, the custom genres certainly work here. I suppose my post was more of a hope that folks might start using it to pop up an occasional poem.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

Correct. I'm still 27, though that probably does seem quite old to most folks under 18.

• The Long Haul: Financial Self-Sufficience   15 years 10 weeks ago

Hey, Guys! Here's my thoughts...

I, too, would hate to see adverts on this on this site. Donations might cover it and you could always start out that way and then move to a subscription system later...OR...you could become a paid subscription site immediately. Would a nominal fee of $1 a month from each existing member cover expenses for you? Perhaps you could give new members a trial period to get them addicted to the site like us. A month trial and then if they like it they can pay the monthly fee to stay in?

Another idea is if the biggest monetary issue is the bandwidth perhaps you could find a kind local ISP or other Internet philanthropist to donate web space and bandwidth. I've noticed a lot of sites of this nature seem to have hidden benefactors which provide this for them. A simple referring link back to the benefactor usually seems sufficient.

What type of Internet connection do you have exactly?

• Seen in 2001   15 years 10 weeks ago

I concur Jim. I thought The Perfect Storm was so-so.

• To Moderate Or Not?   15 years 10 weeks ago

I should append that I agree with lbangs that there shouldn't be any censorship. Maybe users can have personal killfiles, users who's posts just don't show up. An anti-endorsee list, maybe.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

Welcome antigravity/cain (I'm still not clear from your other posting if you guys are the same person or not)! I am the administrator of this facility (that's what I keep calling myself, anyway . . . and it's sort of a movie quote - any guesses?). And we're in big trouble if I'm even sort-of-worshipped by anybody. :-)

• To Moderate Or Not?   15 years 10 weeks ago

Maybe an extension of the endorsing program could be used? Something that doesn't necessariy measure how much you endorse the other people's views, but more if you think they are generally valuable or not. Then users could set an option to only see postings of users of a certain rating (slashdot uses something similar). Then, individual users could see the "quality" of content that they want. Of course, if users don't get rated, that might make it tough.

On an aside, in your member directory, would it be possible to list the 20 newest members or so? Just curious.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

But just barely over 30! Actually, if I recall correctly lbangs isn't over 30. The age range here seems to go from 14 or 15 and up. I don't know who our oldest member is, although I know of several in their 50s. Heck, we even have a user called "Grandma".

• The Long Haul: Financial Self-Sufficience   15 years 10 weeks ago

Jim, I think maybe you and I had discussed this before, and maybe you figured it wasn't doable, but maybe licensing the Listology code out to other sites that might want to do something similar? Maybe getting rid of custom genres and let sites put in three main genres.

Like lbangs, I don't know how much you would get the other ways. I do think that subscriptions might be detrimental to new members. What kind of price do you have in mind?

Maybe sueing Amazon for their list idea, if you can prove yours came first? :)

• Dylan Revisited - Bob Dylan's Ten Greatest Albums   15 years 10 weeks ago

Yes, our lists are nearly the same. I still need to read the rest of your lists, but I've enjoyed (and sometimes even agreed with!) the ones I've read so far.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

I hesitate to add another dedicated genre beyond movies/books/music/television. Do the custom genres (which are now searchable) not meet the need here? Here are some examples of how the custom genres are currently being used.

• 0012. Over-Rated Artists   15 years 10 weeks ago

Fixed! I'm going to venture a guess that you cut-and-pasted these from Word? If so, the problem is that Word uses "smart-quotes" (which curl to be typographically attractive). These characters aren't true apostrophes or double-quotes, so when you paste them here they end up looking funny (they commonly display as question marks). In my experience the only foolproof way to clean Word text of these bizarro characters is to do an intermediate paste into Notepad, which only allows basic characters. Then recopy from Notepad to Listology.

• Who Should've Won?   15 years 10 weeks ago

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. My "easy" choice of The Wild Bunch for the best film of 1969 says more about how much I love the western rather than how much I do not like Midnight Cowboy. MC is a great film; I simply belive The Wild Bunch to be one of the best films ever.

• Great Films By Stanley Kubrick   15 years 10 weeks ago

Les, did you call me Jack as a nickname or do you think thats my name? I'm Jeff if you thought the latter.

• Eleven Best Films Of The 1970's   15 years 10 weeks ago

I'm curious to know what you think of Over The Edge.