• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   14 years 3 weeks ago

I can understand that. His fascination with the bull fight seems to be an extension of this manly honour theme he seems to stress. I felt that, in For Whom the Bell Tolls, which is the only Hemingway I've read, there wasn't so much of this kind of thing there. One of the strongest characters is a woman, and the main male character has his own weaknesses and doubts about what he is to do. But, if his other books stress the themes you mention more, I can understand why you didn't like it. I felt that his description of the Spanish Civil War, especially the details of how the war came to one small pueblo, greatly added to the overall history you would get in a general history of the war.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 3 weeks ago

Nevermind. I see from the previous posts that both guesses are wrong. :)

• outstanding soundtracks   14 years 3 weeks ago

My favorite soundtrack has to be Less Than Zero, with Hazy Shade of Winter, Goin Back to Cali, et. al. Great tunes in a movie that just seems too close to real life with Mr. Downey's continuous battles with addiction.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 3 weeks ago

Is 13 from "Devil's Advocate" and 24 from "Chicken Run"?

• Oscar rip offs(Who won and who really should of)PICTURES   14 years 3 weeks ago

I forgot to mention Braveheart/Babe, Titanic/anything, Shakespeare in Love/Saving Private Ryan, and American Beauty/Being John Malkovich (I know it wasn't nominated, but it should have been).

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 3 weeks ago

ah, and #26 is "River" by Joni Mitchell; I have that one on MY list, which, *SHAMELESS PLUG* is still up and running with 74 song lyrics to study and comment on--so y'all come on over after yer finished with the excellent Min's quiz *END SHAMELESS PLUG WITH BACKHANDED COMPLIMENT*...hehehe...

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 3 weeks ago

#19: "Sixth Ave. Heartache" by the wallflowers, right? I think I heard it today on the radio as I came back from Northern VA

• 0034: Favorite Cover Versions   14 years 3 weeks ago

Have you heard the Jam's cover of David Watts by the Kinks? It's really good

• THE BEST SONGS - F O R E V E R   14 years 4 weeks ago

Good list!

• The BIG NEWS today is that this is the first anniv   14 years 4 weeks ago

sk, it's your anniversary. Have a happy one. Jeez, I'm getting a bit misty here.

Seriously, we don't hear from you enough. [Just between you and me: The New Listology is actually going to be Bertie's Listology. I've pulled off that coup we used to talk about, and "Jim" will just be my front man from now on - in fact, he's now really just a sub-program in the new version (full prog. to be applied any day now). Pretty lifelike, don't you think?]

• To Buy/Borrow, Technical   14 years 4 weeks ago

Hi Jim,

Are any of the Internet/Web books you've listed supposed to deal with web design, from a visual perspective? I am wondering about any good books about designing attractive web pages and the techniques on how to do that. Do you have any suggestions?

Blas

• Movies I walked out on/Stopped Watching before the end   14 years 4 weeks ago

I'm with you Jen on the richard gere infested Dr. T. Man that movie blew chow!!!!

• curiosity may lead me...   14 years 4 weeks ago

As a terrible film nerd, I feel bound to point out that the Unbelievable Truth is named after a film by my favorite director, Hal Hartley.

Forgive me.

• 0001. My Top 10 Films   14 years 4 weeks ago

It is indeed a beautiful day. Tonight, Friday, February 2, 2001, the Independent Film Channel is showing both of my very favorite films of all time in a row. Yep, they are even showing Amateur, which as far as I know is the first time in at least five years this film has been shown on American television. If you are curious about the films on my lists, I plead with you to check these films (the other film, obviously, being Simple Men) out. If I could remember how to post news (lost the link, I did!), I'd post this on the home page.

• 0034: Favorite Cover Versions   14 years 4 weeks ago

That's right. I knew I wasn't remembering the original (The Kingsmen did also do a later version); I just couldn't recall the artist.

By the way, welcome back!

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

Congrats! Correct on both!

• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   14 years 4 weeks ago

My declaration of hating Ernest Hemingway is based upon having read only Farewell to Arms and several short stories. Consequently, my judgement is quite superficial. It is premature to say that I hate him, I should have said that of the few things I've read by him, well, I did not like them. Why? His style is very simplistic and straight forward which does not disturb me so much. My problems with Hemingway stem from the ideas he presents in his stories. The themes of manly honour, courage, sacrifice are all highly valued and stressed throughout and I disagree with much that he has to say on these subjects. Of course, this is NOT a problem with his talent and skill in presenting a story, its just the way in which he views certain things that disturbs me. I'm hoping that this coming summer I'll be able to read some more Hemingway so that I can get a better feel for his works. I'll probably end up reading For Whom the Bell Tolls.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

That's it! Great job!

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

#19 is from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart. Right?

• Accessible Science   14 years 4 weeks ago

I'm just curious about a comparison between Pinker and Eliot. I've read both Pinker books and greatly enjoyed them and learned a great deal from them. How would Eliot's book fit in? Does it follow the same school of thought? Does it complement or fill in gaps of the Pinker books?

• 10 Hateful, Overrated Pieces Of "Literature"   14 years 4 weeks ago

I am curious as to what it is about Hemingway that you don't like. I've only read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and, granted, I read it for it's description of the Spanish Civil War mostly, but I found the book to be good. The only thing I really didn't like was his way of writing somewhat formal English when the speaker was supposed to be speaking Spanish. But, I thought the story was good and the insight into the war was good as well.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 4 weeks ago

#8 CITIZEN KANE, #16 BLAZING SADDLES.

• curiosity may lead me...   14 years 4 weeks ago

Whew!

For what it's worth, it was Hartley's first film, and being polite, I'll simply say it isn't my favorite movie by him.

• curiosity may lead me...   14 years 4 weeks ago

no need to apologize--i'm particularly appreciative of random knowledge. so thanks!

• 0034: Favorite Cover Versions   14 years 4 weeks ago

"Money" was originally performed by Barrett Strong, and was one of the first, if not the first, singles released by a fledgling label by the name of Motown in the very late 50s.

Johnny Waco