• Whose line is it?:Lyric Challenge(props to jeffro)   15 years 14 weeks ago

That makes two of us....you're right on the answer. muy bien

• ZLMC001: Taxi Driver (1976) [Spoiler Alert!]   15 years 14 weeks ago

I think Travis is supposed to remind us all of someone we know. I know a Travis as well. this film is far too great for me to illustrate any further. #7 all time.

• Another Character Game-Newer Films   15 years 14 weeks ago

that's correct..

• 10 Greatest female artists in rock history.   15 years 14 weeks ago

First, whoever said Janis Joplin is a waste of a voice is trippin. She definitely belongs on this list. As do Hynde, Phair, and Siouxsie Sioux. Won't quibble with the other entries although they aren't my favorites.

One comment about the Aretha thing: whether it is Aretha (whose voice, by the way is incredible and could destroy everything about Brittney in a second), Elvis, or Sinatra, the art of interpreting songs and making them one's own is as rare (maybe rarer) as being able to write great songs. It is the rare talent who can take over a song and make it sound like it truly comes from their own emotions. This ability has been denigrated in the last three decades or so, but unfairly in my opinion.

Johnny Waco

• 0024. New 2000 Albums I Enjoy (With Album Highlights)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Bangs, Check out Poe/Haunted and Grandaddy/The Sophtware Slump. Both very excellent...

Johnny Waco

• The numbers game   15 years 14 weeks ago

Damn!

• 0009. 10 Great Rolling Stones Albums   15 years 14 weeks ago

Ahh, can't believe Some Girls isn't here! My top four would be 1.Sticky Fingers, 2.Exile on Main Street, 3.Some Girls, 4.Beggar's Banquet

Until Later
    Johnny Waco

• Film Review : LAST TANGO IN PARIS * * * *   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks jen. I appreciate that.

• 11 GREATEST DIRECTING TRIUMPHS   15 years 14 weeks ago

Yes, I do love this movie.

• Grammies: Ten Worst "Records of the Year"   15 years 14 weeks ago

Yeah, I know people who love Cross, but I just can't go with it. I will make this allowance: "Sailing" is probably the best of the ten songs listed here.

Johnny Waco

• Worst Rock Bands of the Nineties   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments Ender and Buber,

I'm certainly not going to be dogmatic about this list: "These bands shot be shot and so should anyone who likes them!" On the contrary, this list is so ultimately subjective and based on my reactions to their songs that I make no allowances as to whether or not they are deep (Live) or fun (Presidents). In fact, I'll freely admit that maybe, just maybe, in one or two cases I'm being unfairly harsh. Also, in the case of someone like 7 Mary 3 (thanks for the spelling correction!) I'm basing this on what I heard on the radio. Songs like "Cumbersome" never made me want to delve deeper, so it's possible I've missed something.

I would consider the Matthews Band and Phish rock bands because they play music with traditional rock instruments (guitar, drums, etc); "Jam bands" would just be another genre of rock in my book.

Johnny Waco

• The numbers game   15 years 14 weeks ago

12 Angry Men, Pi (ha ha, suggested by my brother), Three Ninjas (tommy), Three Ninjas Kick Back, 1984 (tommy), 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1941 (is that the year? contrib. tomhowel, my brother), The 13th Warrior(tommy), Thirteen Days, 54 (tommy), 52nd Street, 84 Charing Cross Road, Miracle on 34th Street (tommy), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in 80 Days, 20 Bucks (tommy), Catch-22, Three of Hearts, Three Men and a Baby (tommy), Three Men and a Little Lady (tommy), The Three Musketeers, The Seventh Seal (tommy), 1776 (tommy), Eight Men Out (tommy), "10" (that Bo Derek thing), 48 Hours, Another 48 Hours (both Tom), 15 Minutes, 1492: Conquest of Paradise (tommy), 8 Days a Week (tommy), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Love and a 45, Winchester 73 (tommy claims this exists, a Western), Patton, Two of a Kind (tommy), The Dirty Dozen (tommy), Cheaper by the Dozen (we know we're pushing it with this dozen bit, but, hey), It Takes Two (tommy), The Big One (tommy), 1,000,000 B.C., Stalag 17 (tommy), 976-EVIL, 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (tommy)

• The numbers game   15 years 14 weeks ago

8 1/2, 8 1/2 Women (Greenaway), Two if by Sea (ugh), Threesome, Three to Tango (that was some trash w. Neve Campbell, right?), The 400 Blows, Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, The Three Amigos, 28 Days, Three Coins in the Fountain, 18 Again, Sixteen Candles,
    Damn, this is fun! I'm going to think of more!

• Film Review : LAST TANGO IN PARIS * * * *   15 years 14 weeks ago

Alright. You got me. I'm giving this one another try. Nice job on the review, mate!

• 11 GREATEST DIRECTING TRIUMPHS   15 years 14 weeks ago

This list seems immaculate, except for Last Tango in Paris. Aren't you the one who worships this movie? I don't get it, man. I'm going to check and see if you wrote a review of it. And if you haven't, please do. I need to see this one justified big time. And it's not because I'm prudish or anything. I just didn't see the greatness.

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks for the advice. I think I understand what you mean about how to read it. It's actually the same way I read William Gibson, as he throws out so many descriptions that try to give you a sense of the future world, but really have no direct connection for me, that I find it easier to not dwell on what he's trying to say so much and to just read. It sounds like the same kind of approach is what you recommend for Chapman.

In any case, I'll definitely be looking for these. Thanks again!

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks, Buber! In the spirit of fairness, I will warn you that the Chapman translation can take a little bit of time to grow used to. His Iliad was published in 1611 (the same year as the King James Bible!), and it can take a chapter or two for our 21st century to warm to its sounds. It helps to plunge through each sentence with vigor rather than to read slowly and to try to understand every word as you read it; hearing the sentence quickly as a whole helps the various words fall into place properly.

Anyway, I swear that the glories of his translations are well worth any work you put in them.

The Roche translations are much easier to jump into, and while many great editions (and many terrible ones) of the Greek tragedies exist, I doubt his have been bettered.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thanks, all. I'll think about which novels to recommend, and hopefully, I'll post these some time before Tuesday (this will require a little thought!).

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 14 weeks ago

Henry Fielding wrote Tome Jones, and Mr. Fielding will likely be on my runner-ups list, whenever I get around to that...

Tolstoy is incredible.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   15 years 14 weeks ago

Correct on #57, and THE MAGUS is a very engrossing read, btw, I recommend it. There are two versions of it, it was an early work (Fowles' first or second novel, I think) and he published a re-written edition because wanted to correct its youthful imperfections.

I believe you are also correct on #61, but Jim has the final say on that. 'Nice' isn't the word I would choose to describe MTH - I found it rather intense. But Sturgeon was among the very best writers of 'soft' science fiction.

• Favorite Mystery - Suspense - Adventure (B&W)   15 years 14 weeks ago

I've always been a voracious reader of anything suspenseful and mysterious, with some of my own favorite authors being Shirley Jackson, Charlotte Bronte, Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King and so many more wonderful authors. I'm sure they planted the seed in me to write my own stories. I'm delighted to say that recently my novel NOWHERE TO HIDE was the winner of the EPPIE AWARD 2001!
    Nowhere To Hide is available at http://www.amazon.com and most bookstores.

A woman's terrifying and obsessive search for her sister's killer. "Chilling! You won't be able to put it down - Guaranteed!" Rendezvous Magazine
    From the author of Listen To The
    Shadows

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 14 weeks ago

I don't know where you can get the bumper sticker, but I certainly agree with the sentiment. On the bright side of the Bush presidency, if you want to end it all by drinking arsenic, he's made it alot easier.

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   15 years 14 weeks ago

Sure, why not.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 14 weeks ago

Hey, Jeff! Isn't the point on this to keep this list going?

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 14 weeks ago