• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   13 years 45 weeks ago

Yeah, the 18-year-old in me loved it too. Funny thing . . . I had wrongly assumed you were older than I (assuming you were indeed 15 in 1988 when Die Hard came out).

• movies everyone else seemed to like but I didn't...   13 years 45 weeks ago

Regarding Starship Troopers, while it may say something about our readership, most folks here seemed to like it (some guiltily).

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   13 years 45 weeks ago

If the Simpsons haven't riffed on it, does it exist? I'm not sure...

Ordering all ten of Hitchcock's 10s was one of the most difficult tasks I have encountered CCing so far. Strangers on a Train landed on top for two reasons. First, in all the many critical reviews I read for it, not a single one had anything negative to say about the film (except for the tacked-on American ending, which lasts about a minute; the DVD has the British version as well as the American one, and I believe the ending is the only real difference between the two). Even Vertigo receive a few gentle jabs for plotting problems, but nary a word against Strangers.

Second, Strangers on a Train seems to incorporate more of Hitchcock's trademark qualities than any other film. Suspense, drama, demented psyches, sexual quirks, touches of horror - all are present in Strangers, making it, in my opinion, as good as an introduction to Hitchcock's world as any film. Hitchcock made better films, perhaps, but never did so many of his favorite styles and subjects converge in one film as they do in Strangers.

And if anyone had any thoughts about these lists being simply my opinions in disguise, I direct them to Vertigo's 10 rating! ;)

P.S. - Thanks for the kind words at the front; sometimes I wonder if these lists amuse, help, or enlighten anybody except myself! Your and Bertie's comments have convinced to continue. Thanks to both of you!

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   13 years 45 weeks ago

Evidence that Strangers on a Train should be bumped down the list a few notches. :) Actually, I've never seen it, so I have to add it to my "to see" list right now.

• Jojo's Funniest Movies   13 years 45 weeks ago

Totally accidental!! The list has been amended again . . .

• Suboptimal cyberpunk I've read (or tried to)   13 years 45 weeks ago

I have to say that Gibson does have a strange style to me too, that takes me a while to get past when reading his books. He throws so much "imagery" that is really meaningless to me. I feel he is trying to give me an atmosphere of this hi-tech world, but it always starts off, for me, as just a bunch of Corporation names and logos and what not that don't mean anything. However, once I get to know the characters, I do enjoy his books.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 45 weeks ago

Have either of you two (bertie and lbangs) read any of Roberts' other books? He has one on the History of Europe and one on the History of the Twentieth Century. You both seem to have enjoyed his History of the World and I was wondering how those stacked up to it?

• Biographies and Memoirs   13 years 45 weeks ago

I was wondering what you thought about Genius. I've read many of Feynman's own books and wondered if Genius adds anything to them? Has anyone read both that could say for sure?

• CC00007: John Lennon   13 years 45 weeks ago

There are too many of these I havn't experienced. After John's death I couldn't bring myself to listen to any more of his recordings. Strange, perhaps, but there it is. (When the news of his death came over the radio, I was brushing a coat of liquid plastic onto cork tiles in a kitchen; the job was nearly ruined because my tears were falling into the plastic.)

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 45 weeks ago

Obviously, I can't spell English words either!

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 45 weeks ago

No, like yourself, I have only heard about it. I'll have to catch it sometime when I'm in the mood to stare at a blue screen for an hour or two. ;)

On a light note, I can imagine a confused customer wondering if the sequel, White, would be simply a white screen the entire movie!

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 45 weeks ago

:) No doubt, it will be next year when I finish it, especially since I am also reading Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, Aristotle's Poetics, The Silent Language, and Grand Meneuse (yes, I probably didn't spell that French word correctly.) at the same time! That's the best way I've found to continue reading at a brisk pace - lots of variety.

I also hope I will agree with you in the end. So far, as I noted, it is shaping up to be my favorite one-volume history yet (my former first, William McNeil's Rise of the West, is slipping fast). That one-line summary at the top of each page is emmensely helpful.

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   13 years 45 weeks ago

Odd thing popped into my mind while I pondered this list: The Simpsons have paid homage to Rear Window (Bart thinks Ned Flanders has murdered Maud Flanders), Vertigo (Principal Skinner woos Aunt Selma), and Psycho (Maggie hammers Homer after seeing Itchy & Scratchy), but I don't recall them having done so for Strangers on a Train.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 45 weeks ago

The Roberts is superb. Very quotable (I'll have to look some up (I have them marked: I'm not afraid to write on books - my own).) Also, the illustrations are wonderful and most were unfamiliar - lots of handy maps, too. In the edition I have, there is one-line summary of each page at the top of each page - very helpful. The overall tone of the work struck me as being pessimistic (in the preface he refers to H.G.Wells's late-in-life pessimism), but it's a great read. Hope you will agree next year when you've finished it.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 45 weeks ago

Have you seen it?

• CC00003: Alfred Hitchcock   13 years 45 weeks ago

Yes, it's definitely a film to see :-) But seriously, let me make that more emphatic: I wasn't suggesting that it doesn't belong at the sharp end of the list - it is classic Hitchcock (if that's not redundant).

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 45 weeks ago

The director is Derek Jarman, and he was gay. He died from AIDS in 1994. Blue was released in 1993 and is constantly confused with an installment of the Three Colors trilogy.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 45 weeks ago

I have heard of, but not seen, a movie that really sounds like it tackles the AIDS issue in a very interesting way. The film's title is "Blue," and apparently the screen stays solid blue for 90 minutes while a man dying of AIDS talks about what it is like to be dying from such a disease. I do not know whether it also about being gay - the person narrating may not be gay - but the solid background is there to prevent misconceptions people have about the disease. Instead it goes directly to the humanity of the people who suffer from it, gay or not, and the fact that it is SUFFERING, and that it affects families and emotions in fundamental ways. A lot of homophobic people in this country discount gay people as being genetic mistakes, and lose the fact that AIDS, no matter how transmitted, is still a disease that kills people that do not deserve to die. Has anyone else heard of or seen this movie? I would love to see it and hear from those who may have seen it.
    Anyway, that is a movie about AIDS, it sounds like. Not the Hollywood Schlock that is "Philadelphia."

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   13 years 45 weeks ago

Yes, and I, for one, will pay my debt. The list is coming.

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   13 years 45 weeks ago

AR is a deliberately ugly film. It's about sin: the sin of pride. "She continues to make us all very proud".

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   13 years 45 weeks ago

Folks, JURASSIC PARK: THE LOST WORLD isn't as bad as it's painted either. If you pay attention to the dialogue, it's funny; and the fx are even better than in the first JP.

• Classical Music And The Movies (With Sound)   13 years 45 weeks ago

The govt here, in its finite wisdom, is introducing a goods and services tax, so everyone is buying up big before it hits: busy, busy, busy. Six day working week lately. (The modern employment paradox: if you're out of work you've got loads of time but no money to spend, if you're in work you've got the shekels but no time to spend them.)

I'm sure you've been missed most. There's been a Jim-shaped hole in TL lately. And another J is conspicuously absent - exam time?)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks! The Rose was written (music and lyrics) by Amanda McBroom and can be found sung by its composer on either McBroom's Dreaming or Portraits: Best of Amanda McBroom. Since the best of was released in 1999, you'd probably have better luck locating it. The Rose is easily her most famous song.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 45 weeks ago

I really enjoyed this list. I am "into" lyrics. I particularly like the lyrics for the Bette Midler song, "The Rose". There's not a wasted word in the whole song. Anybody know who wrote the lyrics?

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   13 years 45 weeks ago

C'mon, Chagal, when are you going to post a list for us to see? Perhaps a favorite Beatles' song list?