• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

aaah. I see. May I call you Les?

• Favorite Directors   14 years 20 weeks ago

Well...Gladiator is a dissapointment for sure. And in regards to the comparison with Spartacus. There really is none, I agree. Spartacus is much better. Ridley Scott, as bangsy pointed out, went from Alien to Gladiator. I mean how does one do that. he must of got a big paycheck!

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

The L. does stand for Lester, although more as in Psychotic Reactions and Caruretor Dung than as in Almost Famous.

L Bangs

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

way to go bangs. By the way, what does the L. stande for. Lester? as in Almost Famous?

• Movie Club (aka Movie Discussion Group) Anyone!   14 years 20 weeks ago

I'm a taker Dan. Me! Me!

• Favorite Actors   14 years 20 weeks ago

Did you ever see the televison show, Crime Story? It was the first time I ever saw Dennis Farina, and it was tons o' fun.

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

Oooh, to my shame, I had forgotten about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

My list will be updated shortly.

I await your list.

• Favorite Directors   14 years 20 weeks ago

You got the category right. I was originally going to call the category "deprecated", but suspension sounds more like it allows the possibility of a comeback.

The further I get away from Gladiator the more I like it (although I've flip-flopped on this stance several times). But I think this is due largely to its tragic elements and strong performances and in spite of the direction. I got the DVD as a gift and I'm looking forward to rewatching it in that light.

It's not fair of me to judge Hannibal since I haven't seen it, but too many people I respect have hated it to give me much hope. I will rent it when it comes out.

But I have no idea what's up with him! Complete meltdown, it seems. Maybe he'll get a second wind.

• Another Character Game-Newer Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

8 is Emilio Estevez in The Breakfast Club
    31 is Rick Moranis from My Blue Heaven

• Favorite Directors   14 years 20 weeks ago

Ya know, the odd thing is that on the commentary for the Alien DVD, he at times almost seems to make fun of directors who overuse CGI. Scott, the mirror is on the wall to your left.

Not to mention, could he just not afford a decent editor? A script doctor?

And I go on and on...

• Favorite Directors   14 years 20 weeks ago

I think he is reading his own press clippings. I tell you my new $1500 tv is going to be in danger if Gladiator wins the best Film on Sunday. I was given this DVD for Xmas and i tell you it is pretty revealing in the sloppiness that is so evident in that movie. I also watched Spartacus recently and boy is it sad to compare those 2 films

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

I would disagree on the John Ford. I would take the three Calvary movies if I could cheat. Otherwise its a toss up between THe Informer and THe Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or maybe the Quiet Man...damn he is tough. But you got Bergman just right. I might have to clone your list and give some selctions. I think Directors will be tougher than actors.

• Favorite Directors   14 years 20 weeks ago

What's up with Scott? I had great trouble while watching Gladiator and Hannibal believing that this is the same director who gave us Blade Runner, Alien, and Thelma and Louise. Has he just lost it?

(I hope I understand your suspended category correctly. If not, this may seem as a complete attack, and then I'd be very sorry...)

• 0027: Stanley Kubrick's Greatest Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

I can't go that far - Orson Welles, for one, strikes me as better - but he certainly is excellent. The man has made some great films.

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 20 weeks ago

28 was Kellie Martin on ER (and I knew that without the hint).

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

Straw Dogs is a good film. As to Hartley, well, I've gone on and on on other lists, so I won't repeat myself here. He's one of the only true film genius I am aware of to emerge in the 90s, and time will do him justice.

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   14 years 20 weeks ago

You should at least rent some of the Buffy episodes on tape. I personally think it has improved from the first season, so keep that in mind. They're currently in the 5th season, though I think the first two seasons were both short.

Interestingly, in the US they seem to be releasing tapes/DVDs in storylines, not by season. So you can get a set chronicling the Buffy/Angel relationship. or the Buffy/Faith episodes, which skip over any standalone episodes from the time period.

*I'd* buy all the Buffy episodes on DVD, in a heartbeat. If I weren't currently unemployed and on a budget.

• 0027: Stanley Kubrick's Greatest Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

No argument from me. Stanley's the greatest director to ever make films. period.

• 0028: Directors and Their Best Films   14 years 20 weeks ago

I like Peckinpah's Straw Dogs. I still dont see what you like about the boring Hal Hartley

• 5 best movie soundtracks   14 years 20 weeks ago

You could say that bro!

• 5 best movie soundtracks   14 years 20 weeks ago

I guess Almost Famous left an imoression on ya, huh?

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

I also forgot the easy one here. 10 - My Generation, The Who.

• Jeff's Lyric Challenge   14 years 20 weeks ago

Bangsmeister, good job on all counts!

• 20 Inspirational Guitarists-Living(Alt./Punk/Indie)   14 years 20 weeks ago

I thought about it, but decided not..

• DVDs I'd Like To Acquire   14 years 20 weeks ago

In case it might influence your purchasing decisions, the Fight Club DVD is marvelous (although the only other ones I've seen so far are The Matrix and Men in Black). The verbal annotations by Fincher, Pitt, Norton, and Bonham-Carter are very entertaining and informative (the movie is on disc 1 along with 4 (!) annotated versions - then there's a bunch of other stuff on disc 2 that I haven't fully explored yet).

The thing I find remarkable about the various deleted scenes and "making of" features you get on DVD (speaking in general now - not just about Fight Club) is how unbelievable it is that the raw footage ends up looking like the final product. There's lots of magic that happens in editing and post-production that I'd always taken for granted.