• 0011: Steven Spielberg's Ten Best Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

JURASSIC PARK? You must be joking. Instead of "The Color Purple?" I usually like your opinions, but there seems to be a great aberration of logic here. Great special effects (sometimes), but pretty lacking in most everything else. And what exactly is the purpose of Jeff Goldblum in this opus? He provides nothing but a few "moral/ethical" commentaries and not much else. I really think this movie is pretty weak, though, of course, not as weak as its sequel. Even the 3rd Indiana Jones installment is better than Jurrasic Park, so if you think "The Color Purple" is overrated, what about this one? I am really rather surprised to see this movie on this list.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I can hear him now ... I've gotten scalped!

L. Bangs (a pioneer into his own mind)

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

Personally, I think Mr. Hellfingaz (aka Dr. Nutt) should dress up as a member of Devo while lester and I square off against himm; all I have to say is, "Digital Chips flip my Midget Scripts..."

Johnny Waco

PS Tommy, Why you so blind? / Why you so blind????

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I haven't seen this film, but will have to rent it. Thanks for the tip!

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

actually, Forrest as a child did wear braces on his legs. :)

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm really going to have to watch this one again...

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm willing to wager Johnny and I may want to swap personas. Besides, he'd probably rather be a New York Doll...

Amen!

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I think Lester & Johnny ought to face off in a glam rock battle royale. Lester, how 'bout you coming out as T.Rex and Johnny as Ziggy Stardust. I'll mediate and make a list of who can strike the best poses.

Can I get a witness?,

Tommy Hellfingers

• Essential Songs: Psychedelic   14 years 6 weeks ago

White Rabbit, yeah!

L. Bangs (who is almost ashamed to admit how much he digs White Rabbit)

• 10 Unessential Live Albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

For the most part, I feel your disdain for Unplugged albums; however, I must speak up and say that I believe Neil Young's Unplugged is great. Perhaps it isn't quite the revelation Nirvana's was, but a fine solid collection that stands as Young's greatest live acoustic album and maybe the second best Unplugged album ever. Hardly inessential or lacklaster, my friend.

• Essential Albums: Post-Punk   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'd like to nominate a Wire album. If Pink Flag is too punk for you (although I claim it as post punk), perhaps 154?

I'd also nominate an early New Order disc, but I know you would probably never go for that...

• People I can recognize just by the sound of their guitar   14 years 6 weeks ago

Robert Johnson I don't know well enough to say I can hear him on the radio and know him just from his guitar. Kurt Cobain was, iirc, grunge? Not really my cuppa tea... And embarassing as it is, I can't say for sure I would always recognize Jimi straight away. Most of the time, but maybe not every time.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

Another movie that challenges notions of what are usually thought to be disabilities, is Gattaca. The main two characters in this movie are thought to be disabled, though they clearly aren't. Like Forrest Gump, this one subverts the idea that a disability is a limitation.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

the way i saw it, the crutch as well as the grandfather's illness lead to all sorts of instances of the members lying to themselves (or not facing the truth) as their crutch to deal with their situation. because it made life easier.

i guess it's more of a metaphor than a disability, but i still think it sortof qualifies...

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I agree with richardp in that this movie challenges what are commonly thought of as limitations, and is tremendously uplifting in its message. However, I should point out that unless you are talking about Lt. Dan, there is no physical disability to overcome. Forrest merely has a low IQ, and none of his accomplishments had anything to do with his intelligence. They were more to do with his determination and a simple desire to do the right thing by people.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 6 weeks ago

Fascinating Idea! Hmmm, I probably wouldn't recommend it or any other of their later albums (post-Sweetheart) until someone had digested the early stuff. Then I would recommend Untitled and Ballad of Easy Rider, before recommending Dr. Byrds with a few caveats. Then, if this person still liked them, i would say get Farther Along, as long as you realize that it will be a purchase for a few specific songs, not for an album to be listened to straight through, the way the rest of them could be (more or less). In other words, be a Byrdmaniac (not maniax) before even thinking about it.

Johnny Waco

• Songs I've Gotten Stuck in My Head While Being a Meter Maid this Summer   14 years 6 weeks ago

hahahahahahahahhahahahhahahah.... (prick laugh) related to the tickets... It's funny, but being a meter maid kind of makes you evil in that you want to distribute many tickets. Don't get me wrong, I cut people slack and I'm still nice about my job, but, well, you laugh inside. We are evil. Fear us. Glad someone's heard the Teddy Bear Picnic song!

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

For me, that was part of the power of watching "Forrest Gump." It tremendously reinforced the idea to me that disability is an illusion that we create that inhibits our greatness. When I let go of the illusion of disability, I am free to achieve anything my heart desires. I loved how it was presented, and while it was obviously fictional, and certainly not an accurate portrayal of physical challenges in many ways...I feel it created a wonderfully enlightened view of us as human beings.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I hope that I haven't offended anyone with this assertion. I merely wanted to point out that all of the other movies have realistic elements while Forrest Gump is 100% pure fiction.

• Best film directors of the 20th century   14 years 6 weeks ago

Actually, I omitted Silkwood because it is a very good movie and does not represnet the demise of his movies. I saw Day of the Dolphin a long time ago, but I remember really liking it. Maybe I should see it again. Working Girl is a good film, but I do not think it deserved an oscar nomination whatsoever. Regardless, I will give Nichols both Silkwood and Working Girl, and accept them as great movies. However, I found indisputable evidence of Nichols' demise, his 2000 directorial effort, What Planet Are You From? I have a hard time believing that anyone could have liked this film, let alone seen it since it only grossed about $10 million (this may be a generous guess on the gross). If a movie flops that much and is a major studio effort, then it is a permanent stain on a director's resume.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I have a hard time accepting Forrest Gump as handicapped. Damn, he makes me feel handicapped, and I'm not. Forrest's achievements: ran around the country, All-American football player, world ping pong champ, war hero, multi-millionaire, and twice went to the White House. Those accomplishments seem unattainable by anyone who is truly handicapped in some aspect. I know the movie is fictitious, but the filmmakers definitely disregarded any potentially existing handicap of Forrest. Therefore, if the filmmaker is not going to present a physical handicap as an obstacle, then neither should the viewers.

• The long weekend is upon us (at least here in the   14 years 6 weeks ago

Put down that paintbrush for just a couple hours and have a laugh at Chicken Run! The visual gags are more for adults than kids, and who can resist hen with teeth?? So what if, as a friend complained, the movie telegraphs its punch lines well in advance? Some good dialogue, and more engaging characters than most summer movies. Enjoy!

• 0007: My Ten Favorite 2000 Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

Darn, I missed American Psycho. Did you see Gladiator and The Patriot? Those are my 2 favorite so far. I also really enjoyed U-571 and Final Destination (considering horror films typically suck and this one was pretty intense).

• 0008: Harrison Ford's Ten Best Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

What about Clear and Present Danger? I thought it was a very well done action thriller. Far superior than Patriot Games, its predecessor.

• 0009: Cary Grant's Ten Best Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

See Awful Truth again and I believe you will move it up this list, even though this list is packed with great titles.