user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 2 weeks ago

I dunno if this is different enough... but what about Toon Town in Roger Rabbit?

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 2 weeks ago

the totality of the neutral milk albums is what makes them. in the same kind of way that the totality of "the soft bulletin" by the flaming lips makes it. its too early in the morning (yes i'm aware it's 1pm) for me to be trying to explain how i feel about these things, but let me just say that the first time i heard neutral milk, i wanted to drive a stake through my head i hated them so much, and upon accidental further listenings, they have become my favorite band. ah, i defend. sorry. don't worry. i know these lists are subjective.

• CC00002: Orson Welles   14 years 2 weeks ago

Maybe all I had to do was ask...

I just read that Touch of Evil will be released on DVD in October. I have no idea yet if it will be the original release or the restored version.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 2 weeks ago

I tend to be interested, I think, in Philosophy of Religion. I am most interested in how we can apply our philosophy of life to actually living life... so, as I said, I think the qualifies as religion, even though I am particularly into organized religion. I have to say that in reading through your "Introduction" it was the most clear description and synthesis I have ever seen of the "Logic" part of philosophy. It seems to have encapsualted a semesters worth of boring philosophy class into about a paragraph.

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 2 weeks ago

I've heard a few songs off of Aeroplane and wasn't too thrilled with them. I think I will give their first one a shot, though.

I have heard some of Slint's work, and I do like it. Their EP is especially good.

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 2 weeks ago

"New Day Rising" is not a double album, Husker Du did release two double albums though "Zen Arcade" and "Warehouse", of those two "Zen..." is much better and worthy of this list....fiberking

• 0001. CDs You Really Should Hear   14 years 2 weeks ago

I can completely understand this. My initial response to Exile on Main Street was similar, and it is now one of my favorite albums. Perhaps I'll give Aeroplane another chance, this time listening to the entire album.

• 0026: 10 Great Rock Sophomore Albums   14 years 2 weeks ago

Details may vary, but if you like Elvis Costello, I can hardly say anything negative about that!

As for Paul's Boutique, I understand. I had forgotten Nevermind until I spied it on your list!

• Best Albums by the mighty METALLICA   14 years 2 weeks ago

do i know you? yes, i did have a friend who enjoyed the metallicountry song "mama said." not a bad one, but just not as "great" as others. anyways, the symphony thing seems like a good idea, but i found that most of the songs sounded forced... like there was a metallica song with some horns and strings superimposed on it. the two new songs, however, (-human & no leaf clover) i think are pretty good. they almost sound like they were written with the orchestra in mind.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 2 weeks ago

Interesting theory. After Out of Time, REM promised to deliver a rock album. Of course, they hit us with Automatic for the People. I guess Monster was simply delayed. I think most REM fans were waiting for a ripping rock disc, and therefore, I think they wanted to like Monster. I know I did.

I was ready to hear the band rock again, but unfortunately, I tend to agree with Monster's lackluster ratings. A few of the singles shine, but some the songwriting is incredibly lazy, and the production often softens what should be a rough roar of glam rock perfection. Guitars rage, but they often sound strangely sterile or muffled. The sloppy tunes and crippling production never let this album run wild. It is an interesting, occasionally brilliant, but frustrating and disappointing album. I sold my copy off a few months after buying it, and I haven't missed it since.

• Help! It appears AOL does not like The Lis   14 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Jim. The bookmark helps considerably. OK, actually AOL hasn't said there's nothing else they can do, but I've called three times, and they checked for cookies, emptied my cache, and something else that escapes me at the moment. Each time they told me to call back if it didn't work, but I got a little frustrated so I gave up for that day. I'll call again pretty soon. They have no idea what the problem is, but they seem to think that my computer is fine and that each solution probably won't work, but they're hesitent to say that the problem might be with them. It's not a priority though; with the bookmark I can post fairly easily, and so can any other AOL user with problems.

Johnny Waco

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks for taking the time to read it, and for the compliments. Do I take it your vote is for an addition on the subject of Philosophy of Religion?

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List   14 years 2 weeks ago

It's a good opening line. I don't know that I'd describe it as 'funny', but it's provocative. I've been trying to think of what the same opening would be like if written by a female author. "I kneed him in the groin" perhaps?

• 0026: 10 Great Rock Sophomore Albums   14 years 2 weeks ago

Hard to argue with these choices, although I really prefer My Aim is True to This Year's Model (we never agree on the album, only the artist, huh?). Paul's Boutique is an excellent inclusion that completely slipped my mind.

Johnny Waco

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 2 weeks ago

All right, I know I'm always sticking up for the underdog (somebody use pop psychology on me!), but Monster is criminally underrated. By the time it came out, many people had already decided what REM should sound like, and a grungy, searing rock band was not it. However, Monster is the sound of REM having fun, and the lyrics remain as well-crafted as ever, while managing to fit the louder, harder music. I like the fact that Stipe and company don't go gentle into the good night...

Johnny Waco

• CC00002: Nirvana   14 years 2 weeks ago

I would agree that MTV Unplugged is the most accesible of their albums, but Nevermind, besides being familiar to most people, is also the most representative. This is who Nirvana was, and this is the album that kick-started grunge. MTV Unplugged shows a side of Cobain and Nirvana that may have have ended up being explored more fully had Cobain not killed himself, but considering that it was a posthumous release and so not something to be more fully developed, I have to go with Nevermind as the top choice.

Also, I would humbly like to submit that Incesticide is a much better compilation than most critics give it credit for being. It ends rather weakly but the first 2/3 of the album is quite strong and gives the first glimpse of Nirvana's skill at covering other bands' songs, a trait that would be brilliantly shown later on Unplugged.

Johnny Waco

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 2 weeks ago

Lester, I thought about Exile in Guyville, but I figured it wouldn't be considered a double album; I think it would definitely supplant The Fragile. Unfortunatele, a couple of your choices I haven't heard yet, and at least one (you know which one) I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to consider.

Johnny Waco

• Best Albums by the mighty METALLICA   14 years 2 weeks ago

Good to welcome a fellow "johnny" to the list, mr. lunger. I'm not a metallica expert by any means, but I would like to say that I like your placement of S&M; many people I know act that any combination of symphonies and complex metal bands is a match made in aural heaven--I quite disagree. By the way, didn't you once have a roommate who enjoyed the more country-influenced song on Load?

Johnny Waco

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 2 weeks ago

I would probably have to add Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, The Beatle's White Album, Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville (which I bet you didn't realize is considered a double album), Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, Prince's Sign O' the Times, R... Aw, forget it. I guess I'll have to start my own list!

Great fun!

• Essential Albums: Debuts   14 years 2 weeks ago

Great list! I may have to do my own version of this soon!

• Essential Albums: Double Albums   14 years 2 weeks ago

Ahhh...not a double album. I had a bit of a suspicion that maybe, just maybe it wasn't, but I couldn't remember which of Husker Du's albums were and which weren't. Thanks for pointing this out; I'm taking your suggestion for the revision.

Johnny Waco

• CC00006: Stanley Kubrick   14 years 2 weeks ago

I need to see more of these. I was a bit surprised at the mass number of tens here, but not shocked. Eyes Wide Shut should join this list by the end of the year, and yeah, I also predict rather average scores.

I do recommend Barry Lydon; slow for some, but absorbing to others, with gorgeous photography to boot.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 2 weeks ago

I thought you might like to see such an important number filled with The Byrds!

I have heard Byrdmaniax before, and for the most part, it probably deserves its low ranking. Too many of the songs are ruined by terrible over-dubbings. I haven't heard Farther Along or much of Easy Rider. I now definitely plan to explore the later before too long.

• CC00041: Joni Mitchell   14 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments; hearing from intelligent fans such as yourself certainly gives these lists an important balance.

I'm glad I've posted some lists that interest you. I'm always open to requests, so if you ever wish to see someone, just let me know.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 2 weeks ago

It's somewhat dated by now, but you should see The Coca-Cola Kid with Greta Scacchi.