• Favorite Law and Order Detective   14 years 1 week ago

I like that character as well. I never watched Homicide very much, but I'm glad they were able to bring that character over. I think that my second favorite, though, is a toss up between Rey and Elliot.

• Best Director of all Time   14 years 1 week ago

I find it hard to believe that you place directors like Quentin Tarantino on here(although I love his films) yet you omit very influential and great directors from the silent era, such as Griffith, Murnau...

• Favorite Law and Order Detective   14 years 1 week ago

I had to pick John Munch out of respect for Homicide, the show that spawned the character. Marvelous show.

• best of cartoon series   14 years 1 week ago

Nice list. :) Some that I would add would include classic Scooby Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, the Transformers, and classic Super Friends.

• Least Favorites   14 years 1 week ago

What I liked about From Dusk Till Dawn was the juxtaposition between the violence in the first half and the second half. In the first half, there isn't a whole lot of actual violence shown, but it is very brutal and made me cringe. Sort of a Resevoir Dogs kind of violence. In the second half, there is much more violence, but in the action movie kind of way, violence that I almost cheered for and was definitely amused by. It was just interesting to me to see the reactions to the different kinds of violence and how the glorified violence of the second half didn't bother me at all, but the more gritty violence in the first half really got to me.

• Top Movies   14 years 1 week ago

I liked Dark City a lot more than it seems most people did as well. I think that the story was more interesting, like you said, than The Matrix and that it's perception on what is reality more thought provoking. Maybe that's because all of the effects in The Matrix didn't give enough time to think about the plot.

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 1 week ago

Why do you consider the Lord of the Rings to be a children's story? I can see The Hobbit, but the Lord of the Rings seems to be something much more complex and deep than the typical children's story. I'm just curious about your thoughts.

• Titanic Verses: an expanding lyric MEGAQUIZ   14 years 1 week ago

36: Paul Simon, Graceland.

• Albums to Buy   14 years 1 week ago

We just got the O Brother soundtrack. Very good stuff. I'm considering buying some more of the guy who sang I am a man of constant sorrow. If anyone has recommendations of other up-tempo blue grass in the same vein as that song, I'd love to hear from you.

• 0017: The Science Fiction Film Hall of Fame (1900-2000)   14 years 2 weeks ago

If you won't shoot me, I'll admit that I don't really care that much for Fantastic Voyage, nor do I believe its influence demands it a place on the list.

If, however, you would shoot me, I simply claim I forgot about the film and will add it whenever I get around to updating this list... ;)

Sorry!

• 10 Books i'll never get tired of   14 years 2 weeks ago

Hitchhikers Guid is a great book glad to see it on your list.

• Best Movies According To Me   14 years 2 weeks ago

I agree A Fish Called Wanda is one of my favorite Comedies.

• All time favoites   14 years 2 weeks ago

Very good list. I loved these movies also.

I was wondering why Fantastic Voyage wasn't on the list.

• Books read in 2001   14 years 2 weeks ago

I got bogged down toward the end, but it was pretty interesting. I normally don't read a lot of biography. And it was definitely a bio of Galileo - including letters from his daughter was pretty much just the attention-getting gimmick for the book. Not that those letters didn't provide a lot of interest, and illumination of his life.

And she appears to have been an interesting woman, though not a whole lot is said about her life (though I don't think much CAN be said of a cloistered nun in the 17th century).

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 2 weeks ago

Actually, after a little more thought, I've changed my list slightly. I have created a list of my 15 favorite westerns here at Listology (one of my first lists!). The Searchers came in at 15.

• The 15 Greatest Science Fiction Films   14 years 2 weeks ago

A respectable list. I like that you included ZARDOZ, which has been generally underrated. And on the borderland between sf and fantasy, BRAZIL rules.

But where's ALIEN?

The only one of these I haven't seen is STALKER. Care to tell me a little about it and why you like it?

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   14 years 2 weeks ago

The Searchers is very good, but it is also over rated. It is also not one of the 5 best westerns.

The 5 best westerns are The Wild Bunch, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Dead Man, Once Upon a Time in the West, and Stagecoach.

• The 15 Greatest Westerns   14 years 2 weeks ago

I'm not a fan of The Outlaw Josey Wales. I like Unforgiven, but I'm afraid it really didn't even come close to making my top 15 list. It would be on my top 50 list. Perhaps I should think some more and expand this list.

• Books read in 2001   14 years 2 weeks ago

How did you like Galileo's Daughter? It's on my "to read" list, but I was curious about what you thought about it.

• The 15 Greatest Westerns   14 years 2 weeks ago

I'm just curious, where would you put Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven? Would they be just under 15, or are they near the absolute bottom for you?

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

On the flip side, you could do a list of films about prodigies or exeptional people that overcome adversity, because there are an awful lot of those.
    Examples being: Hillary and Jackie, Shine, Good Will Hunting, etc etc

• All time favoites   14 years 2 weeks ago

What can I say? I'm an action junkie. Besides seeing Trinity decked out in leather is what kept me going to aerobics class. Plus if you get into the "new age"iness of it, then there is a lot of Biblical reference. Plus, it was definitely a different concept for a movie. There were so many levels to it... action, philisophical, sci-fi. Well that's why I liked it anyway.

• Recently read   14 years 3 weeks ago

Seasons of Beento Blackbird: fictional, caribbean/african american who stives to find his place in the world (this barely scratches the surface). If I say anymore I'll have to go into long explanations.~highly recommend

Assata: autobiography of a former black panther, now a fugitive living in Cuba

The Rock Says...: autobiography of the WWF wrestler "The Rock". It was informative. I suppose you have to enjoy wrestling to really appreciate it.

I'm in a book club and I read other things in my spare time which will explain the broad genre.

• Currently Reading (or re-reading)   14 years 3 weeks ago

yes, I find it very refreshing as well, tho I have only read about 30 pages in (and haven't gotten to the weather comments yet).