• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

Update: finished Left Hand of Darkness and the second and third books of the Earthsea saga. I liked The Furthest Shore, but I wasn't so sure about The Tombs of Atuan. Of the three so far I liked Wizard the most. Anyway, Left Hand was very interesting. LeGuin did a fine job of world-building and sexual politics study. I think I need more time to think it over however, before I label it her best work.

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

Glad you liked Einstein's Dreams. If you haven't already, I would heartily recommend Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. It is an amazing peice of work and like ...Dreams as it is a series of discriptions of cities that a traveler (Marco Polo) has visited. I wish I could better discribe it. Anyone else read it?

I am ambivalent about the Tolkien movies. Having read LOTR around 15 times, I'm sure that I'll find fault with the whole thing. But there is hope, and maybe the movie will convince others to read the books as well. If you want to check out the best source of info on the movies, go to
    www.tolkien-movies.com or www.tolkien.nu

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

#4 is from "House of the Rising Sun" and I think the Animals did the most famous version.

• Movies that scared the crap out of me when i was a kid   14 years 11 weeks ago

The Day After was an ABC tv-movie in 1983. One of the more realistic descriptions of the probable aftermath of a nuclear war. Still one of the highest rated television shows, I believe.

USA replayed it a couple of weeks ago. Still scares the crap out of me.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

#9 is from "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream," by, uh, Bob Dylan. Just as Columbus is discovering America, Bobby D. is getting the hell out of there. From the 1965 album Bringing It All Back Home.

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 11 weeks ago

O yeah . . . The Watchmen was written by Alan Moore.

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 11 weeks ago

A thought for you webmasters - what if I created some kind of XML interface to The Listology so you could pull in lists to your sites? I've noticed a few people that maintain "books read this year" lists here and on their home pages. I imagine, if I made lists available via XML, you could just maintain them here, and then suck them into your own site automagically so you don't have to maintain two lists. Thoughts?

• top ten kevin spacey movies   14 years 11 weeks ago

yes i think i will

• Movies that made me Cry (a lot)   14 years 11 weeks ago

Have you seen The Sixth Sense?

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 11 weeks ago

Am I correct in observing that the only band in this list that emerged in the 90s (or later) is Nirvana? Nobody else from that decade makes the cut? Not challenging; just asking. Come to think of it, I only see a couple-three (I think) that emerged during the 80s. History has not had time to judge? Or nobody else groundbreaking and/or distinctive from those decades?

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 11 weeks ago

This list is begging for a little commentary to go along with each entry. I know how you feel about Gladiator and Chicken Run; what did you think of X-Men?

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 11 weeks ago

A thought - create some kind of ranking system. You'd get points for creating lists, making comments, and having comments made about your lists. Also, I was thinking about adding "favorites", so you could flag your favorite list-authors and/or lists. Then, you could also get points for making other folks' favorites lists. Two problems . . . cheating (creating multiple IDs) and it making The Listology too much like a popularity contest. Still, could be fun. Your thoughts?

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 11 weeks ago

How 'bout something by Frank Miller?

• top ten kevin spacey movies   14 years 11 weeks ago

I forgot that one too! So are you going to change the list?

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Correct, urm, sir/ma'am!

• Books Finished Since May 1st   14 years 11 weeks ago

I just found them, and they are quite enjoyable so far. They aren't quite as "literary" as I expected, although Mrs. Malory is a literary critic, but more of the older woman/small English town genre.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

Excellent, Reader!

And yes, I will be creating a new lyric challenge VERY soon...

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

#33 is from "Holidays in the Sun," by the Sex Pistols, which just might be the greatest Sex Pistols song of all

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

#10 bill and ted's excellent adventure....ziggy piggy ziggy piggy

• Feeling   14 years 11 weeks ago

or morose!

• Feeling   14 years 11 weeks ago

Laura Nyro always has seemed pretty morse to me, as well.

• Feeling   14 years 11 weeks ago

i cannot believe that Morrissey didn't make it onto this list--it seems made for him... they've been accusing him of it for years!

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 11 weeks ago

Hey, sk, what did you think of SPACE COWBOYS? I haven't seen it yet myself, but how bad could it be with that cast of 'middle aged' white male stars (I mean the actors, not dear old Sol).

• Books Finished Since May 1st   14 years 11 weeks ago

How are the Mrs. Malory books? I have not tried that series myself yet.

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 11 weeks ago

Ah bertie my friend you certainly can make Bennett Cerf spin in his grave and I have missed you. I enjoyed SPACE COWBOYS as much as any of these except GLADIATOR and CHICKEN RUN. It probably qualifies as a guilty pleasure. I told my date it reminds me of a cross between ON GOLDEN POND and ARMAGEDDON. Lots of fun with the Tommy Lee Jones part.