• Fun music   14 years 11 weeks ago

Sir Bern also wrote the immortal Marilyn, the hit single that should have been (if, of course, they played dirty words on the radio...).

• movies i've seen just because of who's in them and ended up liking   14 years 11 weeks ago

I can't believe you included Teaching Mrs Tingle. That is one my least favorite movies that I've ever seen. Ahhhhhhhhhhh

• FIFENA1. [Past] Narrative Feature Films: 1999   14 years 11 weeks ago

I agree with many of the choices. I have to disagree on several though. Personally, I hated 3 Kings. I can't understand why everyone likes it. Didn't love Stars Wars either. I don't think the Virgin Suicides should be so high, and Magnolia should be a little higher. Nice list

• ZA1. [Past] Musicians: Dead at 27 (with Cause)   14 years 11 weeks ago

C'mon, everyone knows Jim Morrison isn't really dead!! :-)

• soundtracks i own   14 years 11 weeks ago

You've got some great albums from movies I love, and more that I'll have to check out!

How about Boogie Nights (Vols. one & two)? Great disco music. In another genre, When Harry Met Sally--Harry Connick Jr. Yet another, The Commitments (V.1 & 2) And how about Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs? Even if you don't like Tarantino's films, I think he has excellent taste in music.

A couple more and I'll quit...if you like The Beatles/John Lennon, check out the Imagine soundtrack.

Also Singles has some good tunes. Let me know what you think!

• Favorite Musicians So Far   14 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks! I'll have to check out Tricky. I've honestly never heard of him--this might be a dumb question for someone who claims to be such a fan, but was he in the Sugarcubes with her? (I know I could look in the liner notes, but I'm feeling lazy...)

Portishead--I've only heard one or two songs, but I've liked them. I'll give them a try too...

I don't know about Elvis C. You really have to be in the mood to listen to him (at least I do :-)) so I don't own any of his albums although I have heard some of them. I remember a couple I heard in college (late eighties-early nineties) weren't bad.

Wrecking Ball is one of my all-time favorites!!! Although she's one of Nanci's best friends, unfortunately I don't care much for what I've heard of Emmylou's country stuff, so I only own a couple of her albums. That's why she's not on this list, but maybe I'll make a favorite albums list one of these days!

Thanks again for your suggestions. I live in a town with one community radio station, and as much as they claim diversity...it just doesn't cut it. And MTV isn't what it used to be either. Since I'm not made of money to just go out and gamble on unknowns, I need all the help I can get!!

• soundtracks i own   14 years 11 weeks ago

um......well, it's not one of my favorites on the list. this, though, is mainly because it's mostly the score from the film. the pieces with vocal are *definitely* worth it, but i probably wouldn't pay full price for it if i had the option again. (it's worth it if you see it in a used cd store or on sale, though.) :)

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 11 weeks ago

Let me hop into the middle of this thread that the 'rule of three' basically applies to everything. People have an easy time remembering things in threes, and also the human attention span works best when reading or listening to anything that's split up into three sections or points. I assure you that this is especially poignant in both public speaking and religious speaking [preaching] courses.

• Favorite Musicians So Far   14 years 11 weeks ago

Excellent list!

Suggestions, eh? If you're a Bjork fan, try her ex-boyfriend / partner Tricky. His first album, Maxinquay, is especially great. Portishead also incorporates some of the same flavoring with a female vocalist. Try Dummy.

You obviously respect great songwriting, so forgive me, I have to suggest Elvis Costello. Girls Girls Girls, This Year's Model, and Imperial Bedroom are all essential.

I think most Nanci Griffith fans would enjoy Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball.

Again, great list!

• Narrative Feature Films: 2000: Old   14 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks, L. Yea, that's basically how the numbering system works. I guess I could eliminate it. It's not really adding much. As long as I don't get a lot of messages about two titles with the same ranking :-) Look for the changes in the very, very near future (the next 5 minutes).

• Triumphs of Pre-20th Century Short Stories   14 years 11 weeks ago

Misleading list title. I was expecting to find a list of stories. Hows about doing another list, a list of great stories by these authors?

Btw, good to find someone these days who appreciates the short story form.

• books i bought and have yet to read.   14 years 11 weeks ago

geek love! geek love! geek love!

• 0020: Four Reasons to Love Hal Hartley   14 years 11 weeks ago

ps. i haven't seen henry fool yet...i usually like to show movies i've already seen but don't always have time to check them out beforehand.

• 0020: Four Reasons to Love Hal Hartley   14 years 11 weeks ago

hey, i saw trust and thought it was wonderful...i'm curious to get your opinion on something though, did you like henry fool? i'm in a movie group here at hampshire (with jenhowel!) and was thinking about having a "hal hartley night" what would you suggest? thanks...

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 11 weeks ago

whenever i can't remember an author's name...i sorta make up a new one...ha...it's (william foster wallace) almost the author of infinite jest but not really...thanks for the correction.

• Authors Whose Works I've Vowed Never to Read   14 years 11 weeks ago

In my previous post I said I was going to read The World According to Garp by John Irving, but I have not yet gotten around to it. Instead, I read a book by a different author on this list. I read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I had heard so much about how he was able to capture the full essence of a female, and I was curious. I cried (a little), I laughed, I got angry. By the time I finished reading the book, my emotions were totally off whack (wack?). One note of advice: DO NOT read this if you're on your way to a new university, where you'll be living on campus. I read this a week before I started a new semester at a new University and I was scared out of my mind. LOL. I was afraid of meeting my future roommate and when the cleaning lady (janitress?) smiled at me I got freaked out. LOL. But I'm ok now.
    So I guess I can remove Wally Lamb from this list.

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 11 weeks ago

Wasn't Sophie's Choice emotionally devastating? I'ts a very good book (and well-done movie with Meryl Streep), but it just sucks me dry.

• 0020: Four Reasons to Love Hal Hartley   14 years 11 weeks ago

Ah, Hampshire... The days of G-3...

I enjoyed Henry Fool, but I believe the structure of the film is somewhat flawed, knocking it a slight notch below the films on this list. It starts fantastic, but one too many subplots are followed near the end, causing the film's power to disolve a bit toward the finale. Some classic scenes, however, and definitely worth watching.

If you enjoyed Trust, however (which, oddly enough, I first saw at Hampshire), I highly recommend Amateur and Simple Men.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 11 weeks ago

I'd never even heard of this one. But I've just come from reading the comments page on it at IMDb and it certainly seems to be a strong candidate for this list. Now all I have to do is find it. Blockbuster Videos? - don't think so. I might have to go to the local university library (how appropriate)for it. Thanks. I hope I can get back to you after seeing it.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 11 weeks ago

And thanks for your opinions, even though many of them conflict with mine. I could forgive you your lapses of taste :) if you could suggest a new copycat pair for the list.

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 11 weeks ago

Forgive me for butting in, but I need to ask someone who's read SOPHIE'S CHOICE whether the author does use the Emily Dickinson poem "Ample make this bed..." in the novel. It gets recited in the movie, where you could get the impression it's a poem about the death-bed, but it's actually about the grave.

• ZA1. [Past] Musicians: Dead at 27 (with Cause)   14 years 11 weeks ago

Did you just watch a VH-1 Special on this topic? (It was on last night.)

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 11 weeks ago

I actually think that the user means movies he'd like to see made-- but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was made, too-- into Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Facory or something like that, with Gene Wilder.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 11 weeks ago

Actually I'm looking for the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be made into a film. I don't know what that other piece of garbage was. Somebody missed the spirit of Roald Dahl.

• ZA1. [Past] Musicians: Dead at 27 (with Cause)   14 years 11 weeks ago

I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone Saturday Night. He was telling me about some TV show he had watched (apparently that one) and the "Curse of 27". I decided that they were full of malarkey and so I set out to research some of the names he was giving me and see when they died. It's still malarkey :-) But with a shred of coincidence thrown in as well. I found plenty of musicians who were 28 or 26 when they died. I made the list to show to my friend to see if I had missed anybody.