• highly awaited CDs   14 years 3 weeks ago

Couple of other albums to ponder:
    REM - Reveal (early May)
    Alanis Morissette - awaiting title (june)

• The Greatest Fantasy/Science Fiction Series   14 years 3 weeks ago

I read most of my fantasy as an adolescent, but here are some random thoughts from my mental archives . . .

• I have fond memories of The Belgariad, but thought The Mallorean was just more of the same.
    • Based on what you've listed, you'd probably like Terry Brooks' Shannara and Magic Kingdomseries.
    • While in comic form, Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is marvelous fantasy.
    • For most of these series, it helps if you ignore the fact that they inevitably go downhill with time. With that caveat, you might want to consider the Piers Anthony's guilty-pleasure Xanth books and slightly less guilt-inducing Blue Adept series.

Like I said, random thoughts. :-)

• Living in Silence. The Silent Film Vault   14 years 3 weeks ago

The General, perhaps?

• The Ultimate Guide to Stanley Kubrick   14 years 3 weeks ago

Interesting, I think the old Critical Underground nailed Mr. Kubrick's works quite well. Both The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut may highlight his skill as a director, but that hardly makes them great films in and of themselves, just as a great performance by an actor does not necessarily make a film great.

The Shining received a *** 1/2, while Eyes Wide Shut earned a ***. According to the Critical Underground these ratings mean:

*** 1/2 - A fairly good work, but will probably only be embraced by fans of the genre / artist.

*** - A barely good work; only diehard fans need apply.

I think reality bears this out quite well. The Shining is fairly good, yet it is largely only loved by horror, Kubrick, and Nicholson fans. Eyes Wide Shut was largely only enjoyed by diehard Kubrick fans, of which I assume, from your previous posts, you are.

So I'm still rather pleased with these ratings. I'm always interested in disagreements of an artistic nature, and I will point out that these ratings are those of the Old Critical Underground, snd not solely my own. Although, in truth, these are not too far off from my own evaluations.

Thanks for the comments.

• The Ten (or so)Greatest Foreign Films   14 years 3 weeks ago

I think Zhang Yimou is terrific . . . Any chance one of his fine films could find a home on this list?

• Recently Seen Movies 2: The Adventure Continues   14 years 3 weeks ago

So you thought that Julianne Moore worked well as a stand-in for Foster in Hannibal? I'm afraid I strongly disagree with you. While I am usually quite a fan of Moore's work, I found her thoroughly unconvincing as Clarice Starling. When she attempted to exude strength, she seemed false and desperate, making her seem rather whimpy. I thought the miscasting of the important role severely hurt the film.

But then, I also thought the film was just a big, silly mess. Ridley Scott continues to rise commercially and to freefall artistically. He used to be quite good, you know...

So, we'll have to disagree on this one.

• As voted by Listology Members: 10 Greatest films ever made   14 years 3 weeks ago

Just based on my intuitive sense of these lists (and I haven't been watching as closely as I should) this list seems on-target. Mild surprises: I would have thought Citizen Kane would have been slightly higher, and The Godfather and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest slightly lower. But I have lousy intuition.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

28. Redford
    29. Beatty
    31. Cassavetes (?)
    32. Roeg (?)
    33. Traufaut
    34. The great, extrememly under-rated Fosse
    35. I keep think Korine, but he may have only written it.
    36. Alan Parker (?)
    37. Huston
    38. Was this also Lean?
    39. Roeg
    40. Spielberg

Should I stop playing? Let me know...

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

Trust me, you do one Critical Consensus list for a director using 25 sources or more, and you will never forget a single film he or she every made again.

Plus, when most people are so tired they can no longer read anything difficult or requiring a train of thought, they flip on the television. Me, I flip through rock and film guides.

Yes, it relaxes me. Ya don't need to tell me I'm weird. Already know... :)

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

Wait a minute. I think 7 is John Huston.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

Gee bangs, did you feel like playing the game or what? Good job.

• 0023: L. Bangs' Great Film Challenge   14 years 3 weeks ago

Nope, you're off about 35 years or so.

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

I will update my little game with your stunning contribuation later, right now I'm tired.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

You obviously know you're right. Great job!

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

Let's see...

2. Curtiz
    3. Bertolucci
    5. Was that Reiner?
    7. I used to know this. Lean?
    12. Beresford
    13. Verhooven
    15. Winders
    15. Lang
    17. Murnau
    19. Attenbourogh (or however you spell his name)
    21. O'Russell
    23. Fincher
    25. I couldn't tell ya if my life depended on it...

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

Correct on the Crucible; wrong on Simple Men.

Congrats!

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

Wait a minute. 9 is Sica. I'm use to seeing the foreign title for this film...

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

My kind of game...

4. Howard Hawks
    5. Jonathon Demme
    6. Martin Scorsese
    7. Roman Polanski
    9. Chaplin (?)
    11. Sam Peckinpaw
    12. Lumet (?)
    15. Schlessinger (?)
    17. David Lean
    18. Hitchcock
    19. Wise
    20. Raelfson (something like that, I believe)
    21. Wilder
    22. De Palma
    23. Scorsese, again
    24. PT Anderson
    25. John Ford
    28. Eastwood ?
    27. E. Kazan

I want to say Pal is 8, but I'm not sure why...

And I really should know 13, but I'm drawing a blank. I keep thinking Van Sant, but I believe I'm confusing this film with Private Idaho.

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

I think you're damned well right.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

Back in black. Correct!

• The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-1999   14 years 3 weeks ago

According to the ALA, a challenge is defined as a formal, written complaint filed with a library or school about a book’s content or appropriateness. Schools, school libraries, and public libraries report the majority of challenges.

• Film Review : MIDNIGHT COWBOY * * * *   14 years 3 weeks ago

I hope you do get to see it.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

I knew what you meant, plus I thought you did write Ron Howard. My bad.

• Wish I Appreciated These   14 years 3 weeks ago

It certainly wasn't a waste. And my satisfaction percentage is still quite high when I rent something from one of your lists.

Based on my reaction to Amateur and Simple Men, should I try other Hartley movies, or do I have a fair sample under my belt?

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

I think me and you are the only ones on Listology right now.
    18.Victor Fleming