• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 10 weeks ago

Very nice!

MarkW

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 10 weeks ago

#6 is Have a Little Faith in Me by John Hiatt...also covered by Jewel for the Phenomenon Soundtrack

• The First 6 CDs to come to mind   14 years 10 weeks ago

This is a neat exercise. Mine would be:

1. The Commitments Soundtrack
    2. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
    3. Radiohead - OK Computer
    4. Paul Simon - Graceland
    5. Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
    6. BB King - Live at the Regal

• Films of 1998   14 years 10 weeks ago

I will not try to claim that Saving Private Ryan is a faultless film. I do, however, believe some have greatly over-stated its shortcomings, and that overall, it still demands an enormous emotionnal response. No film, even a ***** film, is without its failings. Some films, however, do overcome these faults, at times, such as in Saving Private Ryan, even in spite of themselves.

• Films of 1999   14 years 10 weeks ago

I suppose this, then, will be our falling out. ;)

Fight Club - **

Many of the same problems I had with Natural Born Killers sprung up here. The film used a type of violence for kinetic effect that it later seemed to criticize. Certain scenes were undeniably effective, but the film seemed to fest upon itself in a frustrating way. It lit the candle at both ends, and I felt stuck in the middle left with little.

Trainspotting showed both the appeal and the danger of drug addiction without allowing the two sides cancel each other out. I felt that Natural Born Killers and Fight Club were films at war against themselves, and I found the results less than thrilling.

Can we still be friends?

• literary songs   14 years 10 weeks ago

well, thank you--whoever you are. :) i can't believe i overlooked the maniacs. there are probably tons there.

i'm not aware of the ok computer references to hitchhiker, but i'll look for that. and unfortunately i'm not that familiar with the b-boys or joy division.

and i think the literary band name could be a totally other list... i know there's a band called Sibyl Vane that's named after a character in Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray. i'll have to ponder that awhile.

• literary songs   14 years 10 weeks ago

I thought of a couple of others:
    -Radiohead's OK Computer album has references to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    -Hey Jack Kerouac by 10,000 Maniacs
    -Dead Souls, by Joy Division (Gogol)
    -The Sounds of Science, by the Beastie Boys (Galileo)
    -A Beastie Boys song that I can't remember the name of but it has the line "And I got more rhymes than JD's got Salinger".

And there's also Bob Dylan (last name comes from Dylan Thomas' name) and the mid-90's English Band The House of Love, named after Anais Nin's A Spy in the House of Love.

• Films of 1998   14 years 10 weeks ago

I can't help but to disagree on SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

It certainly has some strikingly brilliant sequences (the obvious being the stunning opener), but was the script really that good, the plot itself, and the tone? I can't say it was a ***** film.

Although I will recommend this movie to anyone, I always do so with 'a grain of salt', being careful to warn them that Steven Spielberg inevitably shines through. Beyond the terrifiying and truly monumental 'storming of the beach,' it ends up Spielberg's Saturday Morning Cartoon vision of war.

• HOPPING ON THE BANDWAGON: my lyric list...IT'S GROWING AND GROWING   14 years 10 weeks ago

yup!

• Films of 1999   14 years 10 weeks ago

What was your opinion of "Fight Club", my vote for the best movie of 1999. I'm curious because I agree with many of your selections.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 10 weeks ago

It just occured to me - Four Weddings and a Funeral! For the deaf brother - I can't believe no one has mentioned it before.

• Best CDs I've Bought In the Last Year (or so)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hmmm...math humor...I might be able to resist! :-)

• What I'm Listening to Now   14 years 10 weeks ago

Just got my copy of "Kid A", and I've really enjoyed the first couple of spins.

Not sure if it beats "Ok Computer" in my book, but it's running a close second at least.

MarkW

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 11 weeks ago

Well done! Surprised this one stood unanswered as long as it did.

#18 isn't a Johnny Cash song.

MarkW

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 11 weeks ago

Ok, a shot in the dark here, but #18 sounds a bit like Johnny Cash--can't think of the name of the song though, and I definitely could be wrong!

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 11 weeks ago

How about #12, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Gordon Lightfoot. Don't give up on us yet!! :-)

• HOPPING ON THE BANDWAGON: my lyric list...IT'S GROWING AND GROWING   14 years 11 weeks ago

Sounds good to me. Guess I'm not the only one who has trouble keeping the numbers straight in these darn things!

#15 is The Perfect Drug, Nine Inch Nails.

• Tori Amos - I Love Her 60% Of The Time   14 years 11 weeks ago

LITTLE EARTHQUAKES will always remain for me 'the Tori Amos album.' ANd was my favourite up until FROM THE CHOIR GIRL HOTEL, which is now my favourite -- suprising even myself.

• Tori Amos - I Love Her 60% Of The Time   14 years 11 weeks ago

My face is red! I stand corrected!

The name of Tori's second album is UNDER THE PINK (not PRETTY GOOD YEAR). "Pretty Good Year" is the first song on UNDER THE PINK.

• Best CDs I've Bought In the Last Year (or so)   14 years 11 weeks ago

The List. While composing it, I realized there was a little Math Humour to be had. Couldn't resist--who could?

'Strewth! Y' bloody right, and I would've got it wrong. Stone the crows! I need a Vegemite sandwich.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

in big blue, rosanna arquette=yuck

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

sorry about repeating myself i thought i had been able to stop one of the submissions but i obviously failed

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 11 weeks ago

You know what, Jean Reno's character was the only positive in that movie. He gave a wonderful performance.