• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've read those 3 plus The Path to the Nest of Spiders and Cosmicomics.

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 10 weeks ago

Good Point. Check it out.

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 10 weeks ago

Nirvana's Nevermind and Primal Scream's Screamadelica are the only entries from the 90s. In creating a list of albums for a list purporting to be the foundation of a great rock collection, I chose only to include albums I felt were foundational in some sense, works that other great artists have used as cornerstones to build from. Factoring in this element of influence, obviously some time is needed after an album's release to see if anyone else picks up on its innovation and works it further. As a result, the only 2 albums from the previous decade to make the list were both from 1991, rather early on in the decade. Nirvana's Nevermind certainly inspired not only grunge music, but also post-grunge music and 99% of what was played on "modern rock" radio until very recently. Screamadelica was one of the first albums to take the free-form, lengthy dance music of the late 80s and early 90s and work those beats and styles into the conventions and restraints of rock music. As such, it has very possibly influenced music nearly as much as Nevermind, with artists as diverse as Garbage, Sting, and the entire Trip-Hop crew now working strands of dance loops and beats (and therefore, to some degree, Primal Scream's work) into their own music. I'm not really aware of any other albums from the 90s exhibiting quite this degree of excellence and influence on rock music. Several come close, and they will appear on future tiers (if I decide to create them).

That's something of a mess, but does that help explain my choices?

• Movies that made me Cry (a lot)   14 years 10 weeks ago

No, but everyone tells me that I will really enjoy it, and that it will truly surprise me (which is very rare).

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

Correct! Great album, eh?

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

That's the exact version I'm looking for. Great job!

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've only read four of Calvino's works, and I enjoy Invisible Cities far more than the others. The other three were If On A Winter's Night a Traveler (which has to be one of the coolest titles I have read in quite some time), The Baron of the Trees (?), and The Castle of Crossed Destinies. I'm not sure I "get" Calvino, which is probably why I like Invisible Cities...it is not extremely deep. Still, it has a place on my shelf so that I can flip through every so often to try to understand it all.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

i believe #1 is "Frankly Mr. Shankly" by the Smiths...

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, sung both by Monty Python in Life of Brian and Bruce Cockburn on his Live album.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

That's it, correct title and all!

I need to add some quotes quickly!

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

11 - Liz Phair, Help Me Mary (possibly not the right title but it's on Exile in Guyville)

• in current rotation   14 years 10 weeks ago

Can this be true? Sheila Walsh has a new album out? I'm shocked. Even after years of the 700 Club, I still can only picture her as that new wave woman singing with Steve Taylor...

• Disappointing Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hmmm, this is the second time you claimed to dislike a film, at least partially, due to an unsympathetic character. Do you find that films need a sympathetic character in order for you to enjoy them? Just curious...

• I must   14 years 10 weeks ago

okay, jim--i'm interested. i know this wasn't a film for everyone, or even most people, but it struck a chord with me. did you find *anything* about it redeeming, or were you like the 3 guys who came out of the movie behind me exclaiming "i want my three hours back!"?

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've not read that one but have read quite a few other books by Calvino..

• Copycat Books/Series   14 years 10 weeks ago

Oh, BTW, how about Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea vs. Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone? Very similar, down to the protagonist's friends and enemies at his respective wizarding schools.

• Copycat Books/Series   14 years 10 weeks ago

I've had a pet theory that Robert Jordan IS Terry Goodkind (come on now, "Goodkind"? What kind of last name is that?). But it would explain the utterly shameless copycatting going on in "The Sword of Truth". I liked "Wizard's First Rule" but after the second book I stopped reading them altogether. Boring and monotonous. Course, I have stopped reading Wheel of Time since "A Crown of Swords"--Jordan needs to get to the Last Battle and be done with it.

• Great Musical Numbers in Non-Musical Movies   14 years 10 weeks ago

Just as a note, that's Harry Belafonte's "Banana Boat Song" in Beetlejuice. I also like his other song at the end of the film called "Jump in the Line".

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

Update: finished Left Hand of Darkness and the second and third books of the Earthsea saga. I liked The Furthest Shore, but I wasn't so sure about The Tombs of Atuan. Of the three so far I liked Wizard the most. Anyway, Left Hand was very interesting. LeGuin did a fine job of world-building and sexual politics study. I think I need more time to think it over however, before I label it her best work.

• Excellent Fiction   14 years 10 weeks ago

Glad you liked Einstein's Dreams. If you haven't already, I would heartily recommend Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino. It is an amazing peice of work and like ...Dreams as it is a series of discriptions of cities that a traveler (Marco Polo) has visited. I wish I could better discribe it. Anyone else read it?

I am ambivalent about the Tolkien movies. Having read LOTR around 15 times, I'm sure that I'll find fault with the whole thing. But there is hope, and maybe the movie will convince others to read the books as well. If you want to check out the best source of info on the movies, go to
    www.tolkien-movies.com or www.tolkien.nu

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

#4 is from "House of the Rising Sun" and I think the Animals did the most famous version.

• Movies that scared the crap out of me when i was a kid   14 years 11 weeks ago

The Day After was an ABC tv-movie in 1983. One of the more realistic descriptions of the probable aftermath of a nuclear war. Still one of the highest rated television shows, I believe.

USA replayed it a couple of weeks ago. Still scares the crap out of me.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 11 weeks ago

#9 is from "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream," by, uh, Bob Dylan. Just as Columbus is discovering America, Bobby D. is getting the hell out of there. From the 1965 album Bringing It All Back Home.

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 11 weeks ago

O yeah . . . The Watchmen was written by Alan Moore.

• I'm just about mentally committed to completely re   14 years 11 weeks ago

A thought for you webmasters - what if I created some kind of XML interface to The Listology so you could pull in lists to your sites? I've noticed a few people that maintain "books read this year" lists here and on their home pages. I imagine, if I made lists available via XML, you could just maintain them here, and then suck them into your own site automagically so you don't have to maintain two lists. Thoughts?