• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 6 weeks ago

Hey, did AC/DC rip off the beginning of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band for the beginning of Hell's Bells, or what? A tribute from the strangest place...

Johnny Waco

PS Of course, the bells on POB are more disturbing than AC/DC's could ever wish to be.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

So you want a response, do you Mr. Marsh--I mean, Bangs. Well I'm back on the planet and convinced more than ever that Monster is a neglected gem. Not every song is a standout, to be sure, but the album is very much a mood-piece, a rare thing among albums that rock like this one does. It's almost like REM's glam-rock period, an overdose of T-Rex and their fuzzy take on this thing called rock. Shoot me if i've gone insane, but the amount of distortion cloaking the melodies makes me wonder if our friend Stipe wasn't listening to more than a little lo-fi, specifically Pavement...

Johnny Waco

• CC00049: Buffalo Springfield   14 years 6 weeks ago

Mr. Bangs, it's time for a Neil Young list, as expansive as it may be...Despite a limited amount of Young knowledge, I think I like Rust Never Sleeps better than Tonight's the Night (although don't get me wrong--Tonight's great). Powderfinger is one of the most disquieting songs I've ever heard; The ambiguity of the situation just makes me feel anxious every time I hear it. BTW, since this IS a Buffalo Springfield list, I've surprised their first album would be rated so highly; I would expect it to be no higher than a 7.5, or maybe 8.

Johnny Waco

• 0012: My Favorite Romantic Comedies (in chronological order)   14 years 6 weeks ago

I considered both Some Like It Hot and Sullivan's Travels, but eventually left them out. They're both great, but I had trouble calling them romantic comedies. Looking over my list now, however, I'm starting to wonder if Some Like It Hot is at least as much of a romantic comedy as Manhattan or Roman Holiday. Hmmm... Let me think a bit on this.

I like My Favorite Wife, but a bit less than most on this list. While I love The Graduate, I definitely do not see it as a romantic comedy. I may feel the same about City Lights, but I'll think about the Chaplin movie some.

Thanks for the suggestions, and don't be surprised to see a few of them join the list by the end of the day!

• Essential Songs: Late Byrds   14 years 6 weeks ago

I've heard most of these, and I must give kudos for choosing such great songs from the less-than-stellar period of their work. I believe Untitled might well be the most unfairly over-looked gem in their crown.

• CC00049: Buffalo Springfield   14 years 6 weeks ago

I've mentioned I've been working on the Young list for awhile now. I completed it and posted it this morning. Enjoy!

I can not say enough great things about Powderfinger, even if I still prefer Tonight's over Rust. Maybe I should listen to Rust more.

As for that debut, most critics actually like it quite a bit. A few rather visible sources differ (AMG, in particular), and everyone agrees that Again is clearly their masterwork, but most sources actually hold the debut is quite high esteem. I love the songs I've heard off of it, but those may well be the best songs on the album. I'll have to hunt down a copy to borrow.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I can dig that you enjoy it (I wish I did more), but I can't buy the Pavement comparison. Monster doesn't strike me as rough and ragged. It strikes me as over-produced and ill-produced. The melodies aren't really cloaked, they're just played on guitars that glide more than bite. The fuzz sounds sterile instead of cheap and dangerous. Perhaps they were trying to create a new glam. Perhaps the producer just blew it...

• CC00007: John Lennon   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'd certainly love to be able to give AC/DC enough credit to think they did. If they didn't, I bet their producer, Mutt Lange (whom I'll be nice enough not to say more of), did.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 6 weeks ago

I guess I really need to hear all of Easy Rider, eh?

Thanks for the order. I may have to act upon this soon.

• 50 essential albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

I haven't heard November Project yet. I'll have to track it down. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's nice to see the new additions (for me? Aw, shucks...) Have you heard Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends? While I enjoy Bridge, I've always enjoyed Bookends a bit more.

• 0008: Harrison Ford's Ten Best Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm not a big fan of either film. Clear and Present Danger seemed a bit muddled, and it forced the main character to act out of character too often. On the other hand, the single set piece involving the cars and missle launcher was excellent. Had the entire film been that good, it would have made my list. As it is, I believe this ten films to be better.

• 0007: My Ten Favorite 2000 Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

I was extremely disappointed with Gladiator, but I have not seen The Patriot yet. U-571 was much better than it had any right to be, but I felt it a notch below these films. Perhaps I'll eventually add it. I have not seen Final Destination.

• 50 essential albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

you make a good point re: 1972--i think i was going for albums i was once completely obsessed with or can't go without listening to for long periods of time. but all the same, i thought it worthwhile to look into so did a little research and added some classics, just for you. (thanks for the prompt!)

also, regarding Innocence Mission--you're right, i do love them. and have you heard November Project, the new incarnation of October Project. they have a new lead singer and a couple other new people in the lineup, but it's still pretty amazing. be sure check it out if you haven't...

• 50 essential albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

i've heard *of* them, but i'll have to track some down and give it a listen... thanks for the suggestion.

• 0011: Steven Spielberg's Ten Best Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

Relax... I simply have not seen The Color Purple yet...

I loved the 3rd Indiana Jones film when it was first released. I was much younger then. I saw it the other day and nearly groaned. It wasn't nearly as good as I had remembered.

As I said on my comments, the list gets quite thin toward the bottom. I'm not sure I could say I 'love' any of the films below number 6, and I am certainly not a JP fan. But hey, a top 9 looks rather lame, eh? I'll have to rent Color Purple soon.

Thanks for the comments!

• 0011: Steven Spielberg's Ten Best Films   14 years 6 weeks ago

JURASSIC PARK? You must be joking. Instead of "The Color Purple?" I usually like your opinions, but there seems to be a great aberration of logic here. Great special effects (sometimes), but pretty lacking in most everything else. And what exactly is the purpose of Jeff Goldblum in this opus? He provides nothing but a few "moral/ethical" commentaries and not much else. I really think this movie is pretty weak, though, of course, not as weak as its sequel. Even the 3rd Indiana Jones installment is better than Jurrasic Park, so if you think "The Color Purple" is overrated, what about this one? I am really rather surprised to see this movie on this list.

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I can hear him now ... I've gotten scalped!

L. Bangs (a pioneer into his own mind)

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

Personally, I think Mr. Hellfingaz (aka Dr. Nutt) should dress up as a member of Devo while lester and I square off against himm; all I have to say is, "Digital Chips flip my Midget Scripts..."

Johnny Waco

PS Tommy, Why you so blind? / Why you so blind????

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I haven't seen this film, but will have to rent it. Thanks for the tip!

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

actually, Forrest as a child did wear braces on his legs. :)

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm really going to have to watch this one again...

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I'm willing to wager Johnny and I may want to swap personas. Besides, he'd probably rather be a New York Doll...

Amen!

• CC00004: R.E.M.   14 years 6 weeks ago

I think Lester & Johnny ought to face off in a glam rock battle royale. Lester, how 'bout you coming out as T.Rex and Johnny as Ziggy Stardust. I'll mediate and make a list of who can strike the best poses.

Can I get a witness?,

Tommy Hellfingers

• Essential Songs: Psychedelic   14 years 6 weeks ago

White Rabbit, yeah!

L. Bangs (who is almost ashamed to admit how much he digs White Rabbit)

• 10 Unessential Live Albums   14 years 6 weeks ago

For the most part, I feel your disdain for Unplugged albums; however, I must speak up and say that I believe Neil Young's Unplugged is great. Perhaps it isn't quite the revelation Nirvana's was, but a fine solid collection that stands as Young's greatest live acoustic album and maybe the second best Unplugged album ever. Hardly inessential or lacklaster, my friend.