• Latest Movies I Watched on Tape or DVD   15 years 3 weeks ago

From what I've seen of Allen's, I LOVE it. Hannah and Her Sisters is my second favorite so far. I'm sorry, but Annie Hall really captured my affection, and it has a place in my top ten.

• Latest Movies I Watched on Tape or DVD   15 years 3 weeks ago

Great! Another Hannah and Her Sisters fan is born!

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 3 weeks ago

Wow! I'm not alone!

My eyes are probably shot for life, and I just don't know it yet.

Man, I remember reading Ian Fleming novels and The Iliad, among others, for the first time by a faint red glow. Those were the glorious days, when nearly every novel was unread, every film unseen, and every album unheard.

Luckily, there are still many more to go.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 3 weeks ago

I did that too :) I remember reading very slowly by that faint red glow..

• Surprisingly Good Movies   15 years 3 weeks ago

I also liked how the characters evolved, especially the hick soldier that was taught to kill the enemy without question who comes to realize that the Arabs are real people.

• Soundtracks I Love   15 years 3 weeks ago

The soundtrack to Blow sounded intriguing to me, though I haven't gotten it yet to verify that.

• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   15 years 3 weeks ago

The Shining still scares the hell out of me.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 3 weeks ago

My parents caught on to the flashlight trick too early, but I got around that. Yeah, in elementary school, when my parents would not let me stay up, I would stash a book under my pillow until they had kissed me goodnight and the used the dim light of my digital clock to read each line with. There was only light enough for one line at a time, and I would simply slide the clock down the page.

Good God, no wonder I am such a nerd!

• Favorite Action Scenes/Sequences   15 years 3 weeks ago

I certainly agree with The Professional Jimbo. That could possibly be the best scene like that in the movies. Did that make sense?

• 0017: The Science Fiction Film Hall of Fame (1900-2000)   15 years 3 weeks ago

What about "Silent Running" from 71'?

• CC00031: Led Zeppelin   15 years 3 weeks ago

I don't really hold the same opinion as this group of excellent music critics. I love In Through The Out DooR. I was wondering how much your own opinion differentiates from this body of music critics?

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 3 weeks ago

Hmm. That might have happened to me if we'd ever had cable. I just resorted to reading under the covers with a flashlight and other things of that nature.

• Favorite Action Scenes/Sequences   15 years 3 weeks ago

Well, in Aliens, the scene in which Ripley goes back down from the surface to get Newt, while the entire planet is crumbling around her, is one of my favorite suspense/action sequences in the entire series.
    The whole train wreck in The Fugitive is certainly noteworthy, as is when the Marshalls first get sight of Kimball, and chase him through the bowels of the dam, ending with him jumping.
    And while maybe not necessarily an action scene (I don't know what qualifies in your definition), per se, I think the chase in Raising Arizona is one to consider.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 3 weeks ago

The blessings of an insominiac. I never really thought of it that way. I got into foreign and silent films in junior high. I never could sleep, and only our living room television had cable. Since my parents' room was nearby, I quickly realized that I could watch silent and subtitled films with the volume completely down, thus negating any chance of waking up everybody in the house. Soon, I was hooked for life.

I wonder if there is any connection beteen die-hard film buffs and insominia. I know several folks who would test positive in both areas.

The Mask of Zorro was a complete shock to me. I remember rolling my eyes at the commercial at the time. I can't believe they actually pulled it off.

You're probably right about Being There. It is recognized critically, and I'm not sure, but I do believe it did fairly well commercially. It was an early entry; I was probably hoping that by typing in something I would prompt some creative brainstorm for the rest of the list. It is out of place. I'll consider removing it.

I'm thrilled that you dig Hartley. Oddly enough, most people I largely agree with about movies hate Hartley, so I'm a bit surprised as well as thrilled. Your jazz analogy is rather apt; Hartley is certainly an acquired taste, but worth the effort to acclimatize with.

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 3 weeks ago

i was looking over his reviews. 2 1/2 stars of lower is bad. 3 stars or more is good. i know i disagree with ebert alot too. typically i like movies he doesn't. i've never watched a movie based on his positive appraisal and then not liked it.

• Worst Rock Bands of the Nineties   15 years 3 weeks ago

amen...all of those bands should be exiled to a third world nation

• Why I miss the 80s   15 years 3 weeks ago

sorry...but,those are some of the very reasons i do not miss the 80's...

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure what the cutoff is. But I know three stars is "good", because there's is a "Thumbs Up" on the box of Bait.

• The Copycat Movies Poll - as Demanded by Jim and Buddy   15 years 3 weeks ago

Wow. There isn't a single pair of those that I've read both movies from!

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 3 weeks ago

Just out of curiousity how many stars does he give a movie he likes?

• The Bombs: Red Planet (2000)   15 years 3 weeks ago

Sure do! And hey, I didn't realize Ebert didn't like Brazil! The wretch. :-)

• R.E.M.'s Great Songs   15 years 3 weeks ago

Strange Currencies, perhaps? Particularly because of "Y'now with love comes strange currencies, and here is my appeal / I need a chance, a second chance, a third chance..."

• Wierdest movie I've seen in a while   15 years 3 weeks ago

I think Jeff is probably referring to this extended rant I posted yesterday regarding Red Planet. My wife and I saw it two days ago, and we agree that it's possibly the worst movie either of us have ever seen (not counting Plan-9ish entries). Turns out, Ebert liked it (link's in the rant). Unbelievable.

He also liked The World Is Not Enough, which is inconceivable to me. Possibly the most boring Bond ever (although The Man With the Golden Gun was probably at bit worse).

He also liked Bait and Any Given Sunday, neither of which I liked, but since they did have their moments I'll cut him some slack there.

• The Bombs: Red Planet (2000)   15 years 3 weeks ago

Jim, I didnt think you were ripping me. I just thought maybe my ebert comment maybe stirred up a little more controversy than it was worth. Thats cool though, we need a little pot stirring now and then, don't we?

• The Bombs: Red Planet (2000)   15 years 3 weeks ago

Oops. I never took you literally, and I'm sorry if it came across that way! You invoked Ebert in defense of Titus (when you said "best movie critic in the world" I did take that as hyperbole, but also took it to mean that you do like him), and I replied (more or less) that he's too hit-or-miss for me to regard his approval (independent of his particular points) as a credible point in defense of a movie (although I have been known myself to link to his reviews when I think he's making sense).

I hope I didn't give you the impression I was criticizing your judgement by linking back to our original discussion (note that I highlighted one of my own quotes, not one of yours :-). I just thought it was an interesting coincidence that I barely finished that conversation with you, and the next day I end up picking up the quitessential example of "rented some real dogs on his [Ebert's] endorsement."

For what it's worth, my favorite non-Listologist reviewer posts his stuff here. Unfortunately, he hasn't posted much new since 8/10/2000, and the stuff that has been posted since then isn't all written by him. Alas. So it goes.

Last thing . . . I hope you know I hold your opinion in high regard. That's why I linked to your review for Almost Famous rather than writing up my own. I thought you nailed it.