• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 7 weeks ago

You know what? I think Showtime and its sister channels run this one every once in a while. I'm rather sure I've seen that name pop up on my program guide before. Pretty good, eh? I'll have to check it out next time it's on.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

Well, if you don't dig the guide, that's cool. We created the guide in order to help people find great art and avoid turkeys, and if the guide doesn't really help you in that respect, then it certainly isn't for you.

I will add that none of the critics in the group is what I would call the average guy or gal. I am proud that we are usually critisized for being too tough on work and not the other way around. Rather than people complaining that we rate Rambo or Sleepless in Seattle too highly (which was an occasion problem with the older version of the Critical Underground (the pre-New group), we usually have people complaining that we rated, say, Guided by Voice's latest album too low. I can dig this. When we give a high rating, I want it to mean something. I'd rather us be too tough than too easy on work, and I believe we certainly are not on the wrong side of the line right now. For instance, one gander at our guide for 2001 films reveals not a single film rated above *** 1/2. In fact, most films by far have received * 1/2!

The folks in the group are certainly not average. I selected each and every one of them because they displayed excellent independent critical judgement; every member brings something different to the group, and I feel the group's ratings and guides can easily compete with any other guide out there.

I don't mind your comments in the least; you know I love a decent debate! :)

• 10 Best of '99   15 years 7 weeks ago

i'm sorry to see that playing by heart didn't make the cut... but i was pleased by its mere mention. not enough people have seen this movie! there is definitely something a little... dare i say sappy?... about it, BUT- it just makes you feel so good after watching it. and how can not love angelina jolie after seeing this movie?? you simply must

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

I am 1 member out of 15. I'm afraid I can't tell you who else is involved, as I keep all members' identities and ratings strictly secret. They are free to tell you if they wish, but you won't hear it from my lips.

As they see new films or listen to new albums, the members email their ratings to me, and I enter these ratings into a database. When I receive four or more votes for a work, it is time to post it on the big board. The highest and lowest ratings are tossed out, and the rest are averaged to produce the ratings you find on our guides. I also often send out requests for ratings on a specific director or musical artist, and that is where the guides for individual directors / musicians come from.

The group consists of a scattered group of critics. The range in ages and geographical locations is amazing, and I have only met 3 of the members in person. I mostly recruited the critics from online sources.

I am a member of the New Critical Underground, and my opinions are indeed mixed into the pot equally with those of the other members. Don't confuse these lists with my CC series, however, which are the opinion of critics from various printed sources and do not contain any input from me whatsoever.

I hope that made sense...

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

Well, like I said, it is a matter of opinion, but I don't hold much stock in the guide, no offense. I hold stock in your own opinions because through an odd way, I know you via the listology. You take an average score of all underground guide members I assume, yes? Well, you use that logic and you're not really gonna come up with an accurate criticism for any body of work. For instance Lester, I would consider you and I, along with some other listology members, to be a little more ..well..versed in what it takes to make good music or bad music, good films or bad films. You take your average guy or gal and they're gonna say, "oh I loved Rambo!", or "yeah, that Sleepless in Seattle is one of the best movies I've seen". Now taking that in consideration along with the knowledge that I have no idea who else is involve with you critical underground, it makes it hard for me to hold any real merit in their view points. Believe me when I say I'm not trying to rag on it (well...maybe), I'm trying to stimulate a good debate here of pro's and con's.

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

I just noticed that when you refer to the critical underground guide you us our. tell me Les, are you part of this "underground guide"? And if so, who else is involved. Kick some knowledge to a brother...

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

Hmmm... I think the guide is quite excellent. Most of the differences you have voiced with the guide concern works by artists you have already admitted to being a diehard fan of (Kubrick, Guided by Voices). We have to live with that. Most people believe their favorite artists deserve straight ***** and **** 1/2, but we disagree. We think hardly anyone deserves such high praise.

That's part of the reason why we have a five-star scale rather than a 4-star one. The *** and *** 1/2 allow us to point out albums that diehard fans such as yourself will like, even if they are far from the band's best work or rather unexciting for nonfans.

And remember that these ratings change from time to time, especially on the 2001 pages. When I receive four votes for any work, it goes up on the big board. As I receive more votes, you'll notice albums slide up and down (for example, Jeff Beck's latest is now ****, where it was previously **** 1/2 - I received some new, lower votes for that album recently).

I mean, I have heard most of Isolation Drills, and I think the guide is pretty dead-on. Sure, perhaps I personally might nudge it up to ****, but the disc is hardly Bee Thousand, Vampire on Titus, or even Mag Earwhig!. It is a fairly good album that will mostly only be loved by folks who are already fans of the album, but it is hardly a stand-out or a classic. I think the rating reflects these realities.

Thanks for the comments!

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Albums of 2001   15 years 7 weeks ago

I must say the new critical underground guide is full of excrament. GBV's new album is way better than 31/2. I know these aren't your opinions listed so I'm not attacking you bro. I am however not respecting this New Critical Underground Guide a bit. They've been wrong on countless critiques. I know its all a matter of opinion so I'll just say, thats my opinion...

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 7 weeks ago

Les, I've been meaning to plug a movie I want you to see (if you haven't seen it). Its called Johns with Daid Arquette and Lukas Haas. It was directed by Scott silver. It should be available on video in Tulsa. Thats a big enough place. I think you'll like it.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 7 weeks ago

I don't know. I haven't ignored those warning signs yet. Maybe if I get REALLY brave, I'll give it a shot. Maybe not. Maybe I'll wait to hear from you, because I think it is your turn now! :)

Mind you, The Horse Whisperer is no masterpiece - it is just better than I had heard it was. I liked it.

• 0015: So You Want To Be A Film Fanatic - Tier 1   15 years 7 weeks ago

I have only seen 15 of the films listed here. Of course, that may be due to my total lack of exposure to movies growing up. I keep adding to the amount, but it takes some time. Thanks for all the work you have put into it. It gives a lot of direction to movies novices such as myself.

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 7 weeks ago

1, 2, 8 and 10 are correct Jimbo. On the Contact one, she supposedly had vanished for a longer time, according to her.

• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 7 weeks ago

I meant U2's transition album was The Unforgettable Fire. Sorry bagsaroonimeisterhead.

• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 7 weeks ago

I like Animals better than the rest of their albums. I mean, the songs have some special feeling to me anyway. I mean Dogs, Sheep, Pigs, and Pigs on the Wing (thats the whole album), are melodic, deep and meaningful. That is their transition album. I like transition albums. U2's transition album I consider to be Under A Blood Red Sky. You know what I mean by transition? U2 didnt finally find their full blown sound until Joshua Tree. Same with the Floyd with The Wall. Thats how I feel about it anyway, I'm babbling now. I'll shut the hell up.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 7 weeks ago

I just had a thought . . . Does this mean I also have to reconsider all the red flags that went off when I watched the trailer for The Legend of Bagger Vance?

• the SILVER SCREEN edition of TRIVIAL PURSUIT   15 years 7 weeks ago

1: One dollar?
    2: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
    3: Didn't she just fall right through (so it took no time at all)?
    8: Marathon Man?
    10: Fifty. ("why not 35?")

• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 7 weeks ago

Ah... Read ya.

Again, great job!

• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 7 weeks ago

No doubt. A top ten albums list is the most difficult one I've tried to make. Animals holds too much sentimental value for me to have ignored it. It's one of THOSE things Les. You know what I mean?

• Great Robert De Niro Films   15 years 7 weeks ago

Well Bertie, you jogged my brain! I agree, that obviously belongs. Let me make an adjustment.

• THE GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME   15 years 7 weeks ago

Not bad, not bad at all, really. I certainly have very little problems with the artists included, even if you didn't always choose the discs I believe to be their best. The only entry I'd really waste any time quibbling over would be Floyd's Animals (a weak, incoherent concept, probably because many of the songs on the disc were written years apart from each other - not too bad, and some great guitar, just not top ten material in my book), but why? A fun list, and one I know from experience probably wasn't too easy.

• themed compilation: morning   15 years 7 weeks ago

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? -Oasis..

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   15 years 7 weeks ago

And I did hate that book. The author may have a story, but he has zero style and too many florid words. The novel should have come in a purple hardback to warn people of the primped prose within. A very sorry book, actually.

• Favorite Action Scenes/Sequences   15 years 7 weeks ago

Ah, THAT shrine scene. Alright, yes, that scene was very, very good.

I liked $. It's a bit quirky, but Goldie Hawn (easily one of her best roles) and Warren Beatty are extremely charming, the plot is extremely clever, and Richard Brooks' directing is extremely crisp and slighy a bit skew. It is a heist film, so if you dig those types of films, I certainly recommend it. I seem to remember that the chase at the end was very long, eventually involved several different modes of transportation, and was very entertaining.

As for Mask of Zorro, yeah, now that I think about it, I'm not really sure one particular action scene really stands out. Hmmm....

• Current Rotation   15 years 7 weeks ago

nope :)

Erykah Badu is kinda soul/hip-hop
    Mitch Woods is blues
    Jimmy Witherspoon is blues/jazz
    Ella and Basie are Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie so jazz

• laughter in song   15 years 7 weeks ago

Cyndi Lauper laughs in She-Bop. (I can only imagine why...)