• Best Films of 2000   15 years 14 weeks ago

Oh, and Ghost Dog would have made my list too, but it was a 1999 film, and I'm anal about that kind of thing. Great film.

• Best Films of 2000   15 years 14 weeks ago

Great list! Now, however, (and you know I'm going to say this...) you have gots to see Requiem for a Dream.

You may not like it, but you have to see, if only so you can tell me how full of it I am!

You Can Count On Me really was THAT good, wasn't it? Even better than I was expecting, and I had high expectations.

• Guilty Pleasures   15 years 14 weeks ago

I loved this movie as a kid because of the crazy sets and wardrobe. I actually have this on tape!

• Guilty Pleasures   15 years 14 weeks ago

Oh my . . . Another Flash Gordon fan! You're in rare company (although not as rare as I would have thought! :-).

• Favorites: Driving Albums   15 years 14 weeks ago

Like to listen to various things. Clash are great driving music, also Sex Pistols, Pavement, Primal Scream more specifically XTRMTR, Guns N Roses, Hendrix Band of Gypsys, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine and techno in general.

• Six Superb Movies You've Probably Never Heard Of   15 years 14 weeks ago

I didn't have the opportunity to see more than six or seven episodes of NORTHERN EXPOSURE, but, now that you mention it, it would be easy to believe that its makers were influenced by LOCAL HERO.

Speaking of 'influence', I used to believe that this movie was influenced by this movie. But, if you look into the American movie's credits, you see that the British movie may have been 'influenced' by an American short story written by the famous O.Henry.

• The ABC's of Rock n'Roll--A Personal Odyssey   15 years 14 weeks ago

Great work, as usual. Your selection of The Kinks and your observations on their influence on punk and the sibling rivalry mold so often used in rock music are apt and dead-on.

I await the rest of your excellent list.

• Who's Your Favorite "Friend?"   15 years 14 weeks ago

I'm getting annoyed at "Friends" right now for the same reason I hated Seinfeld: they are just too neurotic for words!

That said, I'll just say I've got every single episode of "Friends" on tape, except for last season when I was engaged briefly (and had better things on my mind), and the first season when I didn't start taping until season 2.

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   15 years 14 weeks ago

38 is Max Wright

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   15 years 14 weeks ago

19 is Thomas Hayden Church.

• Favorite Actors   15 years 14 weeks ago

"Grooviest mustache" . . . Now that would be a good Listology poll. :-) I really must rewatch My Man Godfrey soon (as if I didn't have enough first-time viewing to do).

• The most overrated movies   15 years 14 weeks ago

Have you read the book? You wouldn't be saying that if you had read the book.

• Driving Music   15 years 14 weeks ago

Ok, a subject of some interest to me as I have changed Jobs three times in the last 5 Months. Isnt this economy wonderful.

I say its important because My first old Job, I had to drive a lot, my second old Job no driving and the latest I will be back to a lot of Driving.
    I think what you listen to has a lot to do with if you have a driving companion and whether that said companion is worth conversing with.

Lately to my ultimate shame I have been listening to 70's music I ripped off Napster for my wife as a birthday present. Some really cheesey stuff like The Night Chicago Died, Billy Dont be a Hero and Indianna wants me. I already feel better that I am able to admit the shameful act.

Normaly I like Good solid Rock Roll and Old Country music when I drive alone and Folkly rock and some Jazz when I drive with my wife.

• Who Should've Won?   15 years 14 weeks ago

i look like an idiot! Boogie Nights not Boggie! sorry dude..

• Who Should've Won?   15 years 14 weeks ago

Well...boggie Nights should've probably got the nod for 1997. Titanic is good though, just a little hammy.

• The most overrated movies   15 years 14 weeks ago

Anything Kubrick did should be worshipped, including the great "Lolita".

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 14 weeks ago

I'll say predator.

• Best Pink Floyd albums   15 years 14 weeks ago

You have no argument from me. Animals is the greatest Pink floyd album and one of the greatest ever..

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 14 weeks ago

Car Wash

• Favorite Actors   15 years 14 weeks ago

Isn't My Man Godfrey terrific? I love that film.

I haven't really seen Powell stretch his acting chops too far, granted, but I have to say that he is one of the coolest actors ever.

Besides, he wore the grooviest mustache in history...

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   15 years 14 weeks ago

Wow, I forgot this list was even still up!

You are correct, both with your song title and with your assessment of said song. The whole of Mothership Connection is quite amazing, really.

• The Ultimate Guide to Quentin Tarantino   15 years 14 weeks ago

The Ultimate Guide was really only a title used to signify the list was the work of the old Critical Underground. All of the Ultimate Guides only included films directed by the person highlighted, with the exception of the Bruce Willis list.

Does that make sense?

• Favorites: Driving Albums   15 years 14 weeks ago

What's in my car varies from week to week, but One that I've found it great for driving is the soundtrack to Hackers

• Favorite Actors   15 years 14 weeks ago

Yup! I actually listed Myrna Loy strictly on the basis of her performance in The Thin Man movies (I wasn't sure if I could justify her addition based on such a thin sample, but what the heck - I liked her). Powell's listing is almost as tenuous, but I also thought he was terrific in My Man Godfrey.

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 14 weeks ago

Jim, The Sopranos is well worth the rent if you do not get HBO. Quality TV has never been this good. The small touches, the classic Movies Tony watches, to the Music they use...The Acting, writing and rythm of the show is just superb.