user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 2 weeks ago

also, they used to have little weather reports that showed the u.s. divided into a couple different color groups, and the key explained them as something like

red = cool, sunny
    yellow = light, breezy
    blue = ditzy, easy.

my favorite article was about plucidan 4- a child receiving his last dying wish: a dose of the life-saving medication that could have saved his life.

also, "clinton holds summit with magic turtle" i remember as being pretty good.

but this is what i remember from memory. i used to run out to reckless records in chicago every thursday to pick up the new issue.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 2 weeks ago

sigh. the onion. america's favorite time waster.

those horoscopes cannot be beat. i was told one horoscope that my zodiac had been cancelled and replaced with reruns of the cosby show or something.

• 10 Best Articles In "The Onion"   14 years 2 weeks ago
  • Songs I've Gotten Stuck in My Head While Being a Meter Maid this Summer   14 years 2 weeks ago

the teddy bear picnic? god, that must be some sort of torture to have that stuck in your head. you have my complete empathy on that end. but very little empathy for being a meter maid.

now, what about "lovely rita meter maid" the beatles...?

i always seem to get "la cucaracha" (sp) and "no woman no cry" stuck in my head and they REFUSE TO GO AWAY. the funny thing about songs getting stuck in your head (i discovered this when i had "you've lost that loving feeling" stuck in my head playing solitaire the other afternoon)...at first you're humming it and that's when you realize its stuck in your head, then it's sort of annoying you and you're singing it, and then....then there comes an epiphany...a point...when you are ACTUALLY trying to sing the song well. hitting the notes correctly and your voice is doing vibrato and the whole nine yards.

yeah well.
    i get songs stuck in my head a lot.
    i get parking tickets a lot too.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 2 weeks ago

Hey Lester, I couldn't help myself; I went out and procured a copy of Farther Along. And while I think that overall the album deserves its low rating, I think that it might obscure a few (and I mean few) strong points. First of all, if I made a list of the five worst Byrds songs ever, two tracks on Farther Along would qualify easily: America's Great National Pastime and BB Class Road. Both are nothing short of cringe-inducing. However, Bugler, a song sung by Clarence White, is one of the best Byrds songs I've heard, standing up with anything on any album. Also, two other songs White had parts in, Farther Along and Bristol Steam Convention Blues, are really good. If anything, Farther Along confirms what an underrated musician Clarence White is; I think he was the equal of any member of the Byrds over the span of their career.

Johnny Waco

• Essential Albums: Box Sets   14 years 2 weeks ago

When are we going to get a film list from you?

• Essential Albums: Box Sets   14 years 2 weeks ago

Again, a very solid and admirable list. I admit I haven't heard the final entry, but looking over its contents on another site, I believe it probably merits inclusion here.

The only missing item I mourn is the Singles Collection of the Rolling Stones, but after a couple more thearpy sessions, I'm sure I'll gros to cope with this...

• Essential Albums: Trip-Hop   14 years 2 weeks ago

Ignoring the Enigma entry (Enigma = Trip-hop? Ah, well), this is a pretty solid list, including the necessary Maxinquaye, Dummy, Blue Lines, and Endtroducing entries. Have you heard Tricky's second disc, Nearly God? I consider it to be much better than Tension and much closer to the quality of his debut.

I'll admit that I have not cared too much for what little I have heard of Presage and never really counted them as trip-hop, but you have no doubt heard more of them than I have and are a much better judge of this.

• Best film directors of the 20th century   14 years 2 weeks ago

Mighty hard to argue with these suggestions. As far as Nichols goes, do you really believe Day of the Dolphin to be a great effort? While not great, surely Silkwood (which you railed to mention) or Working Girl is better than Day of the Dolphin.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 2 weeks ago

I highly second the vote for Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and am utterly ashamed that I did not think of it before.

• CC00050: The Byrds   14 years 2 weeks ago

I'm curious. If you were to generate a recommended purchasing order for Byrds CDs, where exactly would it fall?

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

I love Alfre Woodward in just about anything, but yes, as I recall I did enjoy this one...I'll go rent it again. thanks.

richard

• Best film directors of the 20th century   14 years 2 weeks ago

Mike Nichols is good, but I would definitely suggest the following names instead: David Lean, Billy Wilder, Frank Capra, John Huston, Stephen Spielberg, John Ford, Elia Kazan, Stanley Kramer, Mel Brooks, Sidney Lumet, and Woody Allen, who I am not a huge fan of, but I can't disregard his talent. This does not even consider great foreign directors: Kurosawa, Fellini, Bergman, Truffaut, Almodovar, Kieslowsi, etc., etc. I am forgetting too many names as well, but there are at least 15 other directors that I would mention before Nichols. In reviewing Nichols career, his first 5 movies were all great efforts : Virginia Woolf, Graduate, Catch-22, Carnal Knowledge, and Day of the Dolphin. His last 10-15 years have included the following: Heartburn, Working Girl, Biloxi Blues, Postcards from the Edge, Regarding Henry, Wolf, The Birdcage, and Primary Colors. Some of these are good films, but I don't consider any of them great. A great director needs to consistently create great movies throughout his career.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

Have you ever seen Wildflower? I saw it a few years ago...now that I'm typing I'm not sure if the girl had a mental disability or was just the victim of severe abuse--possibly both. Regardless, I think it was a good movie--I want to say Patricia Arquette was in it, but again I'm just not sure. I'll have to look at it again.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 2 weeks ago

also burton's rendition of "batman"...pretty impressive. i hear danny devito (penguin)'s eye popped out in the middle of the filming, and he just calmly popped it back in. okay, okay. i won't reply to myself anymore. sorry.

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 2 weeks ago

oh yeah, and "this is spinal tap!" is that not absolutely an invention of sorts?

• Best film directors of the 20th century   14 years 2 weeks ago

mike nichols! "the graduate" and "who's afraid of virginia woolf?" are two of the most startling and refreshing films to have broken the medium!

• Truly imaginative worlds   14 years 2 weeks ago

"the cabinet of dr. calagari" (an invention of an entirely new world, outrageous particularly in its time.)
    "the true adventures of tom thumb" (hands down, the most incredible animation i've ever experienced to date.)
    "brazil" (you know, i couldn't stand watching this, but it was no doubt a sensual experience of everything real life isn't.)

and of course.
    "willy wonka and the chocolate factory" (i'd be ignoring dreams i had ages 8-16 if i didn't include this one.)

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

hmmmmm...interesting...not sure I can qualify "ocd" as disability. (we paraplegics are soooooo picky). I'll have to ponder it some more.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

Gee Whiz....Of course, Forrest Gump is definitely going on my list. Thanks. :0 I'll have to ponder the other...definitely a central part, "favorite" might be stretching it. :0

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

The disability merely has to have a central role in the film here...be it "quirk", "message", etc...interesting, I'll have to revisit "cat" again.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

You MUST see "Passion Fish", the movie that immediately jumped to mind when I read your list title. It is a sad, funny, realistic story about a soap star rendered paraplegic by a taxi-cab, who retires to her Louisianna birthplace and ends up under the care of a series of nurses who can't handle her, and finally one tormented nurse who can. Directed and written by John Sayles it is one of my favorite movies ever. Very rewatchable. And contains the line: "I didn't ask for the anal probe." Stars Mary McDonnell (Dances with Wolves) Alfre Woodard (Eve's Bayou) and David Strathairn (Limbo).

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

Rachel suggested As good as it gets for Nicholson's compulsive disorder.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 2 weeks ago

Forrest Gump had two -- Forrest himself and his lieutenant from Vietnam. Also, on a lighter note, Hear no evil, See no evil, with Gene Wilder as a blind man and Richard Pryor and a deaf man who together "witness" a murder.

btw, this is definitely my wife's cup of tea. Mask, My Left Foot, and others are exactly what she likes. 8^)

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 2 weeks ago

Hartman was fantastic as the Martha Stewart-ish neighbor in Jingle All the Way. And Greedy was excellent. His TV roles were indeed far more numerous, but every bit as good. He was fantastic as a men's make-up salesman in one episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun.

I was really bummed out by his death too. He was so good, in so many things, and had such a bright future ahead of him.