• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

Apparently this is becoming some sort of an epedemic...

3. Z - Costas-Gavras
    30. Inherit the Wind - Stanley Kramer
    38. The Killing Fields - Roland Joffe
    41. Sleuth - Lawrence Olivier
    42. Judgment at Nuremberg - Stanley Kramer
    43. Oliver - Michael Curtiz
    44. Days of Heaven - Terence Malick
    45. The Up Documentaries - Michael Apted
    46. Lorenzo's Oil - George Miller

I got all of those off the top of my head. Maybe I shouldn't play the director's version of this. Let me know if you'd like me to hold off.

• GE. Genre Movies: Horror: Good and Bad Vampire Movies   14 years 3 weeks ago

I'd like to recommend two others:
    Tale of a Vampire (92) - it's sorta slow-paced but Julian Sands is the ultimate vampire, IMO
    To Die For (89) - [not the Nicole Kidman flick, obviously] which is sorta cheesy but has its moments.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

3. is Costas Gravas

• Another Character Game....thanks to whomever thought this idea up.   14 years 3 weeks ago

Of course. 1 - Ingrid Bergman - Notorious

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

Great job! I had forgotten Lemmon's character kept the same name in Front Page!

Correct

• Good shows that went on too long   14 years 3 weeks ago

I never watched that regularly enough to judge whether it went downhill or not.

• Not Everybody Hates "The Mexican"   14 years 3 weeks ago

it's weird. there were a lot of positive reviews, so much that RottenTomatoes had a fresh rating) at first but then as more reviews hit it finally dropped into rotten, and i saw a headline on MSN which read "The Mexican: The New Pulp Fiction?" and I was like, woah is this movie that good?

ultimately there's way too many other movies I need to see before The Mexican charts for me. i'm guessing the film is decent fun. people expect too much sometimes.

BTW, I saw Requiem for a Dream today. incredible movie.

have you ever considered giving people the option to upload a picture to their profile? I think it would be cool if we could see what each other looked like. just curious.

• read in 2001   14 years 3 weeks ago

I just finished Big Trouble myself - entertaining, but it sounded too much like his columns (which I love as columns, but not as novels).

It also suffered because I read it immediately after Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen, who is the master of the over-the-top Florida crime genre. I can't recommend him highly enough. One of these days I'm going to create a list or article centered around his books.

What did you think of Straight Man? Having loved the movie Nobody's Fool, I've wanted to check out Russo for some time.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

8. is george Stevens and i know this bonly because i just finished watching this very funny move

• brushes with fame (publishing industry)   14 years 3 weeks ago

Cool. What was Gaiman like? I'll be curious about Sedaris as well (although I've heard him speak on NPR).

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

I will try to clean up what Lbangs left.

4. Is Sturges and 6 is Harold Becker and one of Pacino's most underrated great roles.

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

1 Harold and Maude
    2 Im guessing Payback
    5 Detective in Psycho
    15. Trwasure of Sierra madre
    16. Chasing Amy i think
    17. Howards End

• 0024: Character Game (stolen from jblack, thanks!)   14 years 3 weeks ago

# 9 is Catherine Zeta-Jones' character from The Mask of Zorro.

• highly awaited CDs   14 years 3 weeks ago

Couple of other albums to ponder:
    REM - Reveal (early May)
    Alanis Morissette - awaiting title (june)

• The Greatest Fantasy/Science Fiction Series   14 years 3 weeks ago

I read most of my fantasy as an adolescent, but here are some random thoughts from my mental archives . . .

• I have fond memories of The Belgariad, but thought The Mallorean was just more of the same.
    • Based on what you've listed, you'd probably like Terry Brooks' Shannara and Magic Kingdomseries.
    • While in comic form, Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is marvelous fantasy.
    • For most of these series, it helps if you ignore the fact that they inevitably go downhill with time. With that caveat, you might want to consider the Piers Anthony's guilty-pleasure Xanth books and slightly less guilt-inducing Blue Adept series.

Like I said, random thoughts. :-)

• Living in Silence. The Silent Film Vault   14 years 3 weeks ago

The General, perhaps?

• The Ultimate Guide to Stanley Kubrick   14 years 3 weeks ago

Interesting, I think the old Critical Underground nailed Mr. Kubrick's works quite well. Both The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut may highlight his skill as a director, but that hardly makes them great films in and of themselves, just as a great performance by an actor does not necessarily make a film great.

The Shining received a *** 1/2, while Eyes Wide Shut earned a ***. According to the Critical Underground these ratings mean:

*** 1/2 - A fairly good work, but will probably only be embraced by fans of the genre / artist.

*** - A barely good work; only diehard fans need apply.

I think reality bears this out quite well. The Shining is fairly good, yet it is largely only loved by horror, Kubrick, and Nicholson fans. Eyes Wide Shut was largely only enjoyed by diehard Kubrick fans, of which I assume, from your previous posts, you are.

So I'm still rather pleased with these ratings. I'm always interested in disagreements of an artistic nature, and I will point out that these ratings are those of the Old Critical Underground, snd not solely my own. Although, in truth, these are not too far off from my own evaluations.

Thanks for the comments.

• The Ten (or so)Greatest Foreign Films   14 years 3 weeks ago

I think Zhang Yimou is terrific . . . Any chance one of his fine films could find a home on this list?

• Recently Seen Movies 2: The Adventure Continues   14 years 3 weeks ago

So you thought that Julianne Moore worked well as a stand-in for Foster in Hannibal? I'm afraid I strongly disagree with you. While I am usually quite a fan of Moore's work, I found her thoroughly unconvincing as Clarice Starling. When she attempted to exude strength, she seemed false and desperate, making her seem rather whimpy. I thought the miscasting of the important role severely hurt the film.

But then, I also thought the film was just a big, silly mess. Ridley Scott continues to rise commercially and to freefall artistically. He used to be quite good, you know...

So, we'll have to disagree on this one.

• As voted by Listology Members: 10 Greatest films ever made   14 years 3 weeks ago

Just based on my intuitive sense of these lists (and I haven't been watching as closely as I should) this list seems on-target. Mild surprises: I would have thought Citizen Kane would have been slightly higher, and The Godfather and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest slightly lower. But I have lousy intuition.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

28. Redford
    29. Beatty
    31. Cassavetes (?)
    32. Roeg (?)
    33. Traufaut
    34. The great, extrememly under-rated Fosse
    35. I keep think Korine, but he may have only written it.
    36. Alan Parker (?)
    37. Huston
    38. Was this also Lean?
    39. Roeg
    40. Spielberg

Should I stop playing? Let me know...

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

Trust me, you do one Critical Consensus list for a director using 25 sources or more, and you will never forget a single film he or she every made again.

Plus, when most people are so tired they can no longer read anything difficult or requiring a train of thought, they flip on the television. Me, I flip through rock and film guides.

Yes, it relaxes me. Ya don't need to tell me I'm weird. Already know... :)

• Director Game   14 years 3 weeks ago

Wait a minute. I think 7 is John Huston.

• DIRECTOR GAME ripped off from the wacky AAA   14 years 3 weeks ago

Gee bangs, did you feel like playing the game or what? Good job.