• My Literary Links   14 years 9 weeks ago

well, of course answering all of them would be ridiculous, but answering a select few can provide an interesting reading list. I like "survival" stories of any kind, living off the land and so forth (Robinson Crusoe, Freedom's Landing), so I tried a "stranded" plot with a few other things. Unfortunatly, they don't have a big enough review list yet. Actually, I find just reading rhough the questions entertaining.

If you think it can make your favorite genres seem silly, you should read the questions in the romance category - particularly what kind of sex you want to be in the story.

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 9 weeks ago

Great job! I love her! It took me a few listens to catch what she was actually saying, that's why I included it on the list.

BTW, a couple lyric sites quote another part of the song as "I play it off but I'm dreaming of you, I'll keep my cool but I'm fiedin' " I don't believe " fiedin' " is a word--any ideas? Fading, feeling, what are your thoughts?

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 9 weeks ago

Gotta have the title for 14.

I believe the dream is "lost" not "gone" or "over," so it really isn't Floyd or that awful pop/rock band you mentioned. (sorry, never liked them)

19 isn't Springsteen.

Keep guessing!

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 9 weeks ago

#2: Macy Gray--I Try

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 9 weeks ago

14 is Eve 6's first single. The name escapes me at the moment, I always just referred to it as the 'heart in a blender' song.

6 could be anything, really. "the dream is gone" is from a pink floyd song, and "the dream is over" is from a queensryche song.

19 sounds awful familiar too. Springsteen?

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 9 weeks ago

You're right on both #7 & #11! I'm impressed. You'll probably get #12 too unless someone beats you to it.

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   14 years 9 weeks ago

Ravenous was a good movie, and a very funny one at that. I gotta disagree with that choice.

• Why Not? Another Lyric challenge...   14 years 9 weeks ago

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but #7 is a line in "Waiting for Tonight" by Jennifer Lopez. #11 is definitely "Hopelessly Devoted to You" sung by Olivia Newton-John in "Grease". And #12 sounds SOOOOO familiar but noo... it's not coming.

• My Literary Links   14 years 9 weeks ago

timepiece, thanks for the tip. Actually, I have been to allreaders before. Our fellow listologist Rhaam put me onto it after he added a bunch of reviews. I have to confess that when I went there and started to do a review I couldn't finish, because I couldn't take the questions seriously: they read just like a send-up of genre fiction. Of course, I realise the questions must be that way because of the nature of the service the site offers. But even so, when you go through their 'enter your own review' process it underlines all the cliches (and latests fads) of the genre you're writing about.

• My Literary Links   14 years 9 weeks ago

Bertie - try http://www.allreaders.com/ for when you have a very specific idea of what you feel like reading (they allow you to search by settings, character traits, prominent plots points, etc). Entertaining in itself!

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 9 weeks ago

10/17/2000: Moved all of the unanswered ones up to the top. Kept the numbering in place, though.

MarkW

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 9 weeks ago

thank you...you may notice that The Patriot is already on my hall of shame. Its a laughable experience in cheesy melodrama, not to mention giving a large viewing audience the wrong impression of both the rebel and British experience in the war.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 9 weeks ago

Flannery, thanks for the great compliment. I need all the encouragement I can get.

I'll tell you this much: my uni is in New South Wales, Australia. Where did/do you study the stuff?

By the way, my Introduction is still incomplete. I neglected to put Empiricism, Rationalism, Pragmatism in the Knowledge section, and I have to get around to completing the Phil. of Religion section. Also, I'll probably add a section on the Phil. of Science - and should, given the title of this list.

• Science And Philosophy   14 years 9 weeks ago

Bertie, you've obviously studied a fair bit of the stuff (philosophy that is). I really appreciated your intro and think it's just the ting to refer a freind of mine to who wants to know what I've been studying all these years. Thanks.

It's cheeky, but could you tell me what uni you are associated with?

Flannery

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   14 years 9 weeks ago

Although I completely disagree with "Wishmaster" the first one (which I reallly thought was quite cool), I wish (ha ha) you would come over to my Worst Movies Ever list and add some on. I want my list to grow and grow!

• Underrated Movies - either bad reviews or no sales   14 years 9 weeks ago

"The Castle" is Australian made, and "The Full Monty" was British. The team who wrote, directed and produced "The Castle" are a company called Working Dog (website: www.workingdog.com) who are a group of five Aussie comedians who have a variety of tv shows/series. I have been watching their stuff for about 10 years or more and it is all hilarious. The group have just released a new movie called "The Dish" which I have heard is much like "The Castle" but I haven't seen it yet, so can't comment at this stage.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   14 years 9 weeks ago

wonderful....hadn't even thought of it.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 9 weeks ago

Phreak, haven't forgotten, will try to find OLEANNA, will report progress.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 10 weeks ago

Far a dark day in our history try "BMX bandits"... we love you nicole.

• Aussie/New Zealand Films Kick Ass!   14 years 10 weeks ago

I just saw "The Dish" last night and thought it warrented a mention. It's by the same guys that did "The Castle" and is similar in tone - ie very dry understated humour (the Aussie Battler theme). It is quite a simple and elegant little movie - and quite funny. Not a block buster but I enjoyed it immensely. It captures the spirit of the moon landing without all the hokey flag waving shmultz often found there... Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oy, Oy, Oy! (Sorry for that.)

Other Aussie Movies... The Matrix? Star Wars epp 2 and 3? Seriously try "Two Hands" and "Heavan is Burning" (it's just OK...)