• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 44 weeks ago

Not sure I take your meaning here, lbangs. The hint was given in order that someone might get the answer and claim the identification.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 44 weeks ago

Good job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 44 weeks ago

HINT re. #60: I know some of you must surely have been assigned this at school. It's a famous Civil War novel.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 44 weeks ago

Not quite yet. #49 Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag by Country Joe MacDonald and the Fish.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 44 weeks ago

Sorry, buber, can't help you there.

• 0006. Favorite Films 1995-1999   13 years 44 weeks ago

Great news! I just discovered that Fireworks will be released on DVD in the next two weeks, making every film on this list now available on the format. Excellent.

• Best Disney Movies   13 years 44 weeks ago

Hercules rather than Beauty and the Beast? Oh, Martin...

Oh well, I salute you for leaving The Lion King off the list. I also agree with you on prefering Toy Story 2 to the first one.

L. Bangs (a noted Hercules hater)

• To Read, and in my Possession   13 years 44 weeks ago

I very much enjoyed Wicked, as well as Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by the same author. But I'm really big on alternate viewpoint stories of any kind, I always like to hear the other side of things.

• The WORST movies I have sat through   13 years 44 weeks ago

My vote for worst movie ever is The Avengers. Taken together with Batman and Robin, makes you wonder what on earth happened to Uma Thurman.

• 0005. Some Under-Rated Films   13 years 44 weeks ago

Being There - I've seen this movie several times -the first time, I absolutely hated it - the second and all the subsequent times, I loved it - guess it was my frame of mind the first night (some 20 years ago). Peter Sellers - extremely talented man - he was one of those actors that I sincerely felt sad when he died. If I'm not mistaken, this was his last film (?)

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 44 weeks ago

Ender22d, can you verify this?

• CC00007: John Lennon   13 years 44 weeks ago

And to date myself, my grade school memories are replete with intercom annoucement of the shooting of John Kennedy. At the time I was also too young to understand the implications of history unfolding around me.

• CC00007: John Lennon   13 years 44 weeks ago

Thank you. I'll date myself here. I was in second grade (I believe), and the principal announced the news over the intercom. Of course, we were too young to really feel the impact of the crushing loss (I was almost 7), but the only other time I remember a similar announcement was when Reagan was shot and when the Challenger exploded, so I believe Lennon was the first. Obviously, for that sort of treatment to be given to an artist cued us into how important he was.

As I stated above, now I just feel robbed. I have no memories of Lennon first-hand; I only have the music and the memories of others. Of course, that's enough, but I want more.

• CC00007: John Lennon   13 years 44 weeks ago

I had just returned home from a five day trip and switched on the TV to catch the news. I remember thinking that this really is "the day the music died". Nice list anyway, lbangs.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 44 weeks ago

Has this list fizzled out, or is everybody stumped? Let me know if it is time to add clues and / or new entries.

• 0001. Books I Love   13 years 44 weeks ago

Ah, you assume I'm a grown-up, eh?

Actually, I never got around to Catcher until I was 22 or so. I enjoyed it greatly. I have heard some people claim to like it less and less as they grow older, but so far, that hasn't happened for me. Salinger creates an apt representation of a young person, and maybe distance from that age leads some further from the book. Maybe not. I think he nails the confusion and simmering frustration perfectly, and though I can not relate to it as closely as I once did, I can still enjoy it.

I have several books I need to add to this list; perhaps when I get a free moment, I'll enlarge it. I still haven't posted any Jane A. works yet, and Dickens is also absent. The critical trend is floating away from Charles, but I still like much of his work. Oh, I'm remembering more works and authors by the second!

• 0001. Books I Love   13 years 44 weeks ago

Agree with all I've read (although I can't manage to get through Crime and Punishment). Have you read J.D. Salinger lately? I found I really loved what I remembered, but going back to Catcher in the Rye as a "grown-up" I didn't like it as much.

• Getting Away From It All: Favorite Fantasy Series   13 years 44 weeks ago

And I'm willing to admit to loving The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis and the Fafhrd & Grey Mouser series by Fritz Lieber without any "I was alot younger then" qualifications.

• Getting Away From It All: Favorite Fantasy Series   13 years 44 weeks ago

The only fantasy series I've read in recent years is Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (the Watch books in particular). But many moons ago (and who knows how I'd feel about them now), I remember loving the Shannara books by Terry Brooks, the Myth books by Robert Lynn Asprin, and The Belgariad by David Eddings.

•   13 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks a million, Jim. I wish to add that I am always open for suggestions on future CC projects. Interested in a director or musician and wish to see a CC list for him / her? Let me know. I can pretty much tackle any director, and I can handle most musical requests except for classical musicians, which I am still trying to gather enough quality critical material to review. Right now, I'm trying to mix classic artists with newer ones, but I'm only guessing at what people may be interested in. Don't see your favorite? Suggest it on one of my lists, and I'll hop to it!

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 44 weeks ago

Your concerns are pretty much why I avoid the term. Either you are drawn in by what I dubbed the 'essential elements' and tend to be affected by the music, slow motion, et al., or you haven't been touched and find such effects terribly cheesy and / or manipulative. It's all manipulative, only some seems more obvious and desparate than others. I usually prefer to critique whatever weaknesses the film has that prevents me from being drawn in and then hammer away at the swelling music rather than simply label the film manipulative. I completely understand where you're coming from, and I tend to agree.

• Classical Music And The Movies (With Sound)   13 years 44 weeks ago

I'm trying to fix my absence. Maybe carve out a little TL time each day. I suspect Jenhowel and BarbieOO will be sparse during the summertime, as they probably spend more time in front of computers procrastinating when school's in session. :)

• Some I tried to read but haven't, yet, finished   13 years 44 weeks ago

Nadine, thanks for taking the time to reply. I ought to try some detective stories.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 44 weeks ago

For U.S. History (with possible applications to other country's histories, if you buy the theory), I thought Generations by William Strauss and Neil Howe was fascinating. You can read it for the history, which is sound (AFAIK), or the theory, which is interesting, but perhaps too general to be useful.

• Anyone have any Recommendations?   13 years 44 weeks ago

A Van Doren tangent . . . The movie Quiz Show is worth renting.