• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 3 weeks ago

Make that, "I honestly didN'T expect suspect he had that in him."

• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 3 weeks ago

I've only heard about half of Exile on Coldharbour Lane. My reactions were mainly lukewarm.

Nick did indeed marry Carlene, so I guess he's country royalty (gentry?) or sorts. I was very impressed with his Impossible Bird - I honestly did suspect he had that in him. His early, new wave work is extremely impressive, but a leap from new wave to country is not exactly an expected progression.

Ray Charles would have to be on any non-Country Country music list. No doubt, many of the rock bands who dabbled in country in the 70s could find a place as well (Bob Dylan, The Byrds, etc.).

• Ok I tried to do 5 good Dan Aykroyd films   14 years 3 weeks ago

Like entirely too many films, House of Mirth never opened in my city. Perhaps I'll catch it on video when it is released...

• Ok I tried to do 5 good Dan Aykroyd films   14 years 3 weeks ago

I thought about the Rutles...and almost included it. Have you seen House of Mirth?

• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 3 weeks ago

Have you heard A3 (Alabama 3). Interesting stuff, a little too jokey but it works well in some places. Nick Lowe did country so well he got to marry one of the Carter family (Carlene I think).
    This might make a good list Country music by non-country Musicians. Ray Charles off the top of my head would be number one.

• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 3 weeks ago

I actually haven't heard all of Kojak Variety yet. While I can't say I love Almost Blue, I do believe it is an under-rated, interesting album in his body of work. Nick Lowe has done country rather well, hasn't he?

• Ok I tried to do 5 good Dan Aykroyd films   14 years 3 weeks ago

The Blues Brothers or The Rutles' All You Need is Cash? Granted, the latter is hardly a 'Dan Aykroyd' film, though he is in it, and the former is hardly a masterpiece, but if you must have five, and if you are really against Driving Miss Daisy, I hardly see many alternatives. Canadian Bacon? My Girl? *shudder* Exit to Eden?

Good luck.

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 3 weeks ago

you're very welcome. You know, I have never been able to get into any of Bellairs' stories that didn't have Johnny Dixon and Prof. Childermass. I suppose I identified with Johnny when I first read "The Curse of the Blue Figurine" and can't get out of the rut. I'm sorry that Bellairs won't be writing any more tales...

• CC00060: Elvis Costello   14 years 3 weeks ago

I actually Love Kojak Variety and Almost Blue. Certainly different from his early work, but that is what makes Elvis so great. Plus I love country music that isnt created in Nashville. englishmen that play country are either really good or really bad. Nick Lowe, A3, Mark Knopfler off the top of my head.

• CC00058: Joy Division   14 years 3 weeks ago

...and for Archers Loaf, Dandy Warhols, Guided By Voices. Thank You!

• CC00058: Joy Division   14 years 3 weeks ago

Your work is incredible. Could you please add Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, New Order, Superchunk, My Bloody Valentine, Ween, Can, Butthole Surfers?

• CC00009: Radiohead   14 years 3 weeks ago

I also consider The Bends to be above OK Computer.

• ZFIFE1. [Past] Feature Films: Best of 2000: Award Winners' Synopsis   14 years 3 weeks ago
  • Oscar rip offs(Who won and who really should of)PICTURES   14 years 3 weeks ago

You forgot English Patient/Fargo.

• 1994's Ten Best Films   14 years 3 weeks ago

Where is Shawshank Redemption?

• movies i've seen just because of who's in them and ended up liking   14 years 3 weeks ago

hey! i didn't say i thought it was a *good* movie, just that i enjoyed it. (in short: katie holmes ripping off her shirt. ;P)

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 3 weeks ago

I don't doubt it, tho I have only seen the cover. "Well, comeon now, pilgrims, we're gonna hitch up the wagon train and head up to Den-ang. Who'sa with me?" Thanks for the suggestion.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 3 weeks ago

you're welcome. "Elizabeth" I don't know how good or bad it is historically. I liked the movie tho. As for an accurate history movie, I would suggest "Black Robe", which is a story of a french jesuit missionary in eastern canada around 1750. It is, from my studies, a highly accurate exploration of both european and native american viewpoints, traditions, clothing, etc. "Black Robe" came out in the mid '80s, I believe.

• Best Comic Book Stories Ever   14 years 3 weeks ago

Two recent series that I thought were very good were "Kingdom Come" and "Avengers Forever". The first is by Mark Waid and the second Kurt Busiek. I enjoyed both greatly.

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 3 weeks ago

I was wondering if there are any popular movies (by this I guess I mean Hollywood stuff, as opposed to maybe PBS specials) that do a good job with the history they cover.

Also, I was wondering about the movie "Elizabeth". Is this one historically accurate?

I will definitely check out that book you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   14 years 3 weeks ago

yup, that's it. Coupland.

• Best Comic Book Stories Ever   14 years 3 weeks ago

I was always somewhat partial to several of the Electra arcs in Daredevil (especially those penned by Miller) and a few of the plots in The New Mutants.

• Pure unadulterated fun songs   14 years 3 weeks ago

VERY good list, but I would have included "Take on Me" by Aha, but that's me, not you.

• Favorite Albums   14 years 3 weeks ago

Hey, that band, Catatonia, where are they from. I like that one song, "Road Rage", but I have no idea who these people are.