• Science And Philosophy   14 years 10 weeks ago

Let me hop into the middle of this thread that the 'rule of three' basically applies to everything. People have an easy time remembering things in threes, and also the human attention span works best when reading or listening to anything that's split up into three sections or points. I assure you that this is especially poignant in both public speaking and religious speaking [preaching] courses.

• Favorite Musicians So Far   14 years 10 weeks ago

Excellent list!

Suggestions, eh? If you're a Bjork fan, try her ex-boyfriend / partner Tricky. His first album, Maxinquay, is especially great. Portishead also incorporates some of the same flavoring with a female vocalist. Try Dummy.

You obviously respect great songwriting, so forgive me, I have to suggest Elvis Costello. Girls Girls Girls, This Year's Model, and Imperial Bedroom are all essential.

I think most Nanci Griffith fans would enjoy Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball.

Again, great list!

• Narrative Feature Films: 2000: Old   14 years 10 weeks ago

Thanks, L. Yea, that's basically how the numbering system works. I guess I could eliminate it. It's not really adding much. As long as I don't get a lot of messages about two titles with the same ranking :-) Look for the changes in the very, very near future (the next 5 minutes).

• Triumphs of Pre-20th Century Short Stories   14 years 10 weeks ago

Misleading list title. I was expecting to find a list of stories. Hows about doing another list, a list of great stories by these authors?

Btw, good to find someone these days who appreciates the short story form.

• books i bought and have yet to read.   14 years 10 weeks ago

geek love! geek love! geek love!

• 0020: Four Reasons to Love Hal Hartley   14 years 10 weeks ago

ps. i haven't seen henry fool yet...i usually like to show movies i've already seen but don't always have time to check them out beforehand.

• 0020: Four Reasons to Love Hal Hartley   14 years 10 weeks ago

hey, i saw trust and thought it was wonderful...i'm curious to get your opinion on something though, did you like henry fool? i'm in a movie group here at hampshire (with jenhowel!) and was thinking about having a "hal hartley night" what would you suggest? thanks...

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 10 weeks ago

whenever i can't remember an author's name...i sorta make up a new one...ha...it's (william foster wallace) almost the author of infinite jest but not really...thanks for the correction.

• Authors Whose Works I've Vowed Never to Read   14 years 10 weeks ago

In my previous post I said I was going to read The World According to Garp by John Irving, but I have not yet gotten around to it. Instead, I read a book by a different author on this list. I read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I had heard so much about how he was able to capture the full essence of a female, and I was curious. I cried (a little), I laughed, I got angry. By the time I finished reading the book, my emotions were totally off whack (wack?). One note of advice: DO NOT read this if you're on your way to a new university, where you'll be living on campus. I read this a week before I started a new semester at a new University and I was scared out of my mind. LOL. I was afraid of meeting my future roommate and when the cleaning lady (janitress?) smiled at me I got freaked out. LOL. But I'm ok now.
    So I guess I can remove Wally Lamb from this list.

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 10 weeks ago

Wasn't Sophie's Choice emotionally devastating? I'ts a very good book (and well-done movie with Meryl Streep), but it just sucks me dry.

• 0020: Four Reasons to Love Hal Hartley   14 years 10 weeks ago

Ah, Hampshire... The days of G-3...

I enjoyed Henry Fool, but I believe the structure of the film is somewhat flawed, knocking it a slight notch below the films on this list. It starts fantastic, but one too many subplots are followed near the end, causing the film's power to disolve a bit toward the finale. Some classic scenes, however, and definitely worth watching.

If you enjoyed Trust, however (which, oddly enough, I first saw at Hampshire), I highly recommend Amateur and Simple Men.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 10 weeks ago

I'd never even heard of this one. But I've just come from reading the comments page on it at IMDb and it certainly seems to be a strong candidate for this list. Now all I have to do is find it. Blockbuster Videos? - don't think so. I might have to go to the local university library (how appropriate)for it. Thanks. I hope I can get back to you after seeing it.

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

And thanks for your opinions, even though many of them conflict with mine. I could forgive you your lapses of taste :) if you could suggest a new copycat pair for the list.

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 10 weeks ago

Forgive me for butting in, but I need to ask someone who's read SOPHIE'S CHOICE whether the author does use the Emily Dickinson poem "Ample make this bed..." in the novel. It gets recited in the movie, where you could get the impression it's a poem about the death-bed, but it's actually about the grave.

• ZA1. [Past] Musicians: Dead at 27 (with Cause)   14 years 10 weeks ago

Did you just watch a VH-1 Special on this topic? (It was on last night.)

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 10 weeks ago

I actually think that the user means movies he'd like to see made-- but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was made, too-- into Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Facory or something like that, with Gene Wilder.

• Films I'd Like To See Produced Someday   14 years 10 weeks ago

Actually I'm looking for the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be made into a film. I don't know what that other piece of garbage was. Somebody missed the spirit of Roald Dahl.

• ZA1. [Past] Musicians: Dead at 27 (with Cause)   14 years 10 weeks ago

I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone Saturday Night. He was telling me about some TV show he had watched (apparently that one) and the "Curse of 27". I decided that they were full of malarkey and so I set out to research some of the names he was giving me and see when they died. It's still malarkey :-) But with a shred of coincidence thrown in as well. I found plenty of musicians who were 28 or 26 when they died. I made the list to show to my friend to see if I had missed anybody.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 10 weeks ago

I think I might have seen this one some years ago on tv - not certain though. Neither IMDb nor TV Guide Online give it a good rating, but I noticed two strong selling points in the credits: Orson Welles has a role in it, and the musical score is by one of my favorites, Ennio Morricone. If I see it around I'll definitely give it a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

Whoops! Thanks for catching that...

• 0028: Part 2 - L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 10 weeks ago

don't forget to update the running totals... (for SFragile's sake!)

• Copycat Movies - Which One Was Better?   14 years 10 weeks ago

Volcano (close)
    Deep Impact (Armageddon bores after 15 minutes and continues for hours)
    The Thomas Crown Affair (close; both flawed)
    A Bug's Life (great film)
    Mimic (under-rated, though not great)
    EDtv (better script; Truman - good idea over-blown)
    Wyatt Earp (close; both nothing to cheer)
    Leviathan and Deep Star Six (both too close to terrible to call)
    1492 (1492 beautiful and boring while Christopher simply mind-numbingly boring and truly awful)
    Stigmata (close; both bad)
    Without Limits (easily)
    Starship Troopers (easily)
    10 Things (close; neither very good)
    Saving (great, though Thin Red Line also good)

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 10 weeks ago

The first movie that came immediately to mind when I read the topic was Oleanna. Have you seen it? Stars William H Macy, written by Mamet, very provocative. I watched it with a philosophical discussion group, and after the movie, we discussed. It's surprising how everyone can watch the exact same chain of events, and come away from it with such different interpretations.

• Some Films You Might Find Confronting   14 years 10 weeks ago

I would suggest adding BUTTERFLY with Pia Zidora and Stacey Keach. It confronts incest as LOLITA confronts pedophilia. Don't be mislead by it's casting or disregard it because it is uncomfortable to watch. It is a quietly good movie.

• Read Before 2001   14 years 10 weeks ago

Hi, bertie,

Well it sounds like I need to go back and re-read IT. As I said it has been a long time. Maybe I can't remember the original and instead I am thinking of the made for TV movie with Tim Curry.

I just checked and IT was originally published in 1986 which was when I read it. Let's see 14 years. Yea, I think it's safe to say I can't remember it well. I'll put it back on my re-read list! :-) Thanks for your comments...