• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 9 weeks ago

It obviously won't help everybody, but it may help some. I myself did not care for Hannibal at all, but I know some people do.

We still haven't received a ton of votes on Bridget Jones yet, so there's no telling what rating it may end up with.

So, from the underground to the core, thanks for the comments.

• Wretched Cover Versions   15 years 9 weeks ago

I tend to think Henley is too eager to let his "righteous indignation" show through. I think I prefer Concrete Blonde's version.

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 9 weeks ago

Man. I guess I don't really agree with the new critical underground. "Hannibal"'s low rating would be my first clue. Then there's "Bridget Jone's Diary". "Spy Kids" was fresh and entertaining, but beating those two? "Hannibal" I think is more entertaining and more challenging to the status quo than "Silence of the Lambs" ever was, and its only mistake was sacrificing the novel's end to placate the masses. And "Bridget Jone's Diary" showcased great, funny performances, witty dialogue and a story I quite enjoyed, though it started to get a wee bit flat towards the end.
    I guess I'm the new critical Earth's Core.

• Worst Rock Bands of the Nineties   15 years 9 weeks ago

Preferably a war-torn third-world nation with no amplification equipment;)

Johnny Waco

• The Best Jarmusch Films   15 years 9 weeks ago

Oh yeah, this guy's good! He's so far out of the sights of Hollywood that you rarely hear about him, but he's a solid filmakerwhose movies have strong plots and intelligent subject matter. He's very unique but not so experimental that you can't connect with his films.

Johnny Waco

• The Best Altman Films   15 years 9 weeks ago

Thanks for the post. No I haven't ever seen Tanner; I don't know if I'd even heard of it before, but I'd certainly like to see it now. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Vincent and Theo either.

Enough people love MASH that I'll see it again at some point. Some things just sneak up on you.

Johnny Waco

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 9 weeks ago

Tippi Hedren

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 9 weeks ago

Very interesting. I'll have to investigate this.

There is a very good book that attempts to trace geographically the wanderings of the Odyssey (though I'm still not convinced all of the places in the work correspond to real places). I can't remember the name or author just now (The World of the Odyssey?), but I'll check it out when I get home and post it here.

Thanks for the heads-up on the article.

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 9 weeks ago

No, we don't. Sadly, it is nearly impossible. With under twenty members, the chances that four or more of us (the minimum number of ratings need to formulate an official NCU rating) have read any given book are rather slim. No doubt, we could probably rate a few classic or extremely popular books, but we could not really get any substantial guide together without fundamentally changing the way we calculate our ratings.

I hope that makes sense.

• THE SCREENPLAY GAME   15 years 9 weeks ago

Ok. Now. You are right on #'s 6, 19, 48 and 70. Wrong on 9, 28 and 85.

• THE SCREENPLAY GAME   15 years 9 weeks ago

I should have researched these before listing them. I thought i'd know these from memory. yeah, right. Thanks dan for squaring me away.

• The New Critical Underground Guide to Films of 2001   15 years 9 weeks ago

lbangs, just a quick question. Does the Guide not rate books? Just curious.

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 9 weeks ago

I will definitely post my reactions here.

On a side note, the most recent issue of National Geographic has an article on the Black Sea. What they've found is a great deal of evidence that points to a straight at the entrance to the Sea that was suddenly open by an earthquake. They think this might have been the origin of the flood stories. In any case, the reason I point this out here is that the earthquake opening the straight may explain the origin of the crashing rocks described in the Odyssey. Just thought I'd mention it.

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 9 weeks ago

By the way, if anyone is interested in Chapman's translations of Homer, there is a free online version of his Odyssey here.

• 0004: My Favorite Translations of Greek Classics   15 years 9 weeks ago

That's actually an incredibly apt comparison. After reading Chapman's Homer for awhile, you begin to feel as if you have entered another world, one quite different than our own, which is the same effect Gibson often achieves. This is excellent, of course, because the world of Homer *is* a completely different world from our own (and even perhaps from Homer's own real world), and Chapman allows his translations to act as a door instead of a window. Most translators are so concerned with making Homer easy for a modern audience to understand, that they lay out the essence of his world without ever allowing the reader to actually enter it. Their translations are windows. Chapman, however, requires some effort before you can see anything, but once the door finally swings wide - wow, it reveals a unique, thrilling, and profoundly moving sphere to dwell upon!

I'm foaming at the mouth now. Anyway, yes, it sound like you know exactly what I mean! When you do get around to Chapman's Homer, you'll have to inform of your reactions, good or bad.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 10 weeks ago

Ok lets liven this game up a little -Brad Dillman

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 10 weeks ago

Sorry I had it backwards; The way we were.

• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 10 weeks ago

Robert Duvall

• Who Should've Won?   15 years 10 weeks ago

I found Titanic quite amazing. The script did have problems, but the film's large emotions and impressive story and visuals steamrolled over these. Titanic was quite a worthy winner.

• Where Dance Slams Into the Mainstream - The 15 Best Trip-Hop, Big Beat, and Jungle Albums of the 90s   15 years 10 weeks ago

Thank you. I discovered a used CD srore near my house that carries Adam Again's Homeboys, and I plan on buying it this weekend.

I'm glad you like the list.

• GE. Genre Movies: Horror: Good and Bad Vampire Movies   15 years 10 weeks ago

Transylvania Twist (spoof with Robert Vaughn)
    Dracula, Dead and Loving It (Leslie Nielsen)
    Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat

PS: Read the book Vampire$ by John Steakly. Much, much better. I think the movie was the worst rendition of any book I've ever seen. (Armor, by the same author, was excellent too).

-l

• 5 Tom Hanks Movies the World would be better off without   15 years 10 weeks ago

Jen, Welcome to the unofficial "Gump Sucks Club"..GSC for short. You are the third Member, a friend of mine is number 2. I think the membership can only grow once people realize there are others out there who have good taste and are not afraid to say what a horrid flick it really is...I always think of it like the Emporor has No Clothes.

I have had some of my most memorable fights about this movie.

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 10 weeks ago

concerning the west wing, the other day i saw a bumpersticker that said simply "martin sheen is my president" does anyone know where i can get one? any help would be great. thanks.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 10 weeks ago

excellent question, buber. i am also curious about that. please satisfy our curiosity, mr.bangs. thanks!

• REVIEW: "Taxi Driver"   15 years 10 weeks ago

hey jen, i know this isn't exactly the right place to try and contact a friend but where have you been????? please email me. you know the address right? i need to hear how you're doing. sorry to post this on the listology but i didn't know of any other way to find you. -katherine