• A Film (or two) for Every State   15 years 18 weeks ago

Haven't seen Overboard. What can you tell me about it?

Johnny Waco

• Based On The Novel : An Essay From Jeffrey Black   15 years 18 weeks ago

I'd just like to add a little something to this discussion. A film SHOULD stand on its own merits, but when it follows in the shadow of a great source it is difficult not to compare the following film with its source. If we've already read the source it's coming from, our objectivity will be lost because we will already have set a up a different sort of expectation for what that movie should be. We believe that the subsequent film should inspire similar feelings as those that we felt during the novel, and if not then many times we will regard the movie with disappointment and see it as a failure(although it may garner critical acclaim and what not). It's unfair for that movie to engender such high expecations if it comes from a great source, but that's what happens and there's not much we can do except be conscious of the situation. The film and the novel ARE independent achievements but I know that when I've read a book that later inspired a movie or seen a movie and then read the book, I've always developed certain expecations going into either one that in the end helped dicate whether I considered that particular work a success or a failure. Wrong? In a perfect world yeah, but in this imperfect world there is not much we can do to help it.

• Many Reasons Why The 50's Was The Best Decade For Movies   15 years 18 weeks ago

Maybe it's a 20 year thing. Perhaps people are trying to make up for the relatively poor filmmaking of the previous decade. That means we're starting a bad film decade. Someone should do the 90s.

• Based On The Novel : An Essay From Jeffrey Black   15 years 18 weeks ago

I thought American Psycho was a really good movie, not great, but very good. The book was decent, not excellent in my opinion. It had some very funny moments, but I just kept getting a feeling of repetition with the same descriptions (such as with clothes for example). This made the book get somewhat bogged down in unimportant facts. I did like some of its existential aspects but wished they would have been exploited more.

• Film Fun!   15 years 18 weeks ago

OK, everyone has had enough time to do exploring on their own. For the complete picture this is a good place to start...

• personal recommendations   15 years 18 weeks ago

Phoaks - This concept is sort of neat.

• A Film (or two) for Every State   15 years 18 weeks ago

A post at triviastic.com claims Fight Club is set in Delaware. The message reads, "...It's cool to me 'cause I live in Delaware and theres nothing significant about it ('cept its the first state... blah blah)."

Unconfirmed, but not bad.

• personal recommendations   15 years 18 weeks ago

Media Personalization Sites: Related Links

MoodLogic (I still can't figure out how we are supposed to access their product).

• A Film (or two) for Every State   15 years 18 weeks ago

Oh, well done.
    For the record, DPS was filmed at St. Andrew's School in Middleton, DE.

• personal recommendations   15 years 18 weeks ago

Personalized Music Recommenders: A Thread

Music Buddha (aka MuBu)

• personal recommendations   15 years 18 weeks ago
  • personal recommendations   15 years 18 weeks ago

Personalized Movie Recommenders: A Thread

movielens

• Favorite Guilty Pleasures   15 years 18 weeks ago

The Running Man used to be one of my guilty pleasures, but there was a while when it seemed to be on TNT every 10 minutes, and I burned out. A very legitimate guilty pleasure, though!

• Best Hamlet Adaptions   15 years 18 weeks ago

I totally agree. I love the Derek Jacobi version played up the concept that he may have just been acting 'mad' as opposed to being so, therefore underplaying the relationship between Hamlet and his Mother. Most other versions play it out exactly the opposite. I like the subtleties and (not suggesting that I can get into the mind of Shakespeare) I think that this version may closest to how it was intended to be viewed.

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   15 years 18 weeks ago

wasn't "Kelly Bundy" Christina Applegate on Married with Children?

• Worst Rock Bands with Geographic Names   15 years 18 weeks ago

Ahh, the Utah Saints...I don't know if they're rock either, but if they are, they certainly would be an exception. Good call...

Johnny Waco

• Worst Rock Bands with Geographic Names   15 years 18 weeks ago

if i recall, the Utah Saints weren't that bad, but then--they might not be a "rock band"...

• Who's On Top?: The Five Greatest Who Albums   15 years 18 weeks ago

Critic, I am not questioning your choices. I too go with Who Sells Out as their best. I also applaud the absence of Tommy from the list as Tommy finally found its right medium on the broadway stage. My question and it really is a comment as I know grammatically it is correct but doesn't the title of this list seem a little strange?

• The ABC's of Rock n'Roll--A Personal Odyssey   15 years 18 weeks ago

Thank you for the Kind words, as you know I have questioned if the Listology is the place for this type of List. Im glad to know at least one person out there is enjoying my stream of consciensce ramblings. Seems you are the only one to comment on it.

• Italianamerican: The Eleven Greatest Martin Scorsese Films   15 years 18 weeks ago

Funny, I thought Color of Money was one of the better sequels. I think more movies should wait 20 plus years to do the sequel. I thought Cruise was great and Newman was his usual stellar self. But then I used to play pool for money a lot when I was younger...and more stupid.

Arguing that a film should be treated seperate from its literary source and not wanting a sequel made are two very different things. Mostly when sequels are made, they retread the pre existing story. Watered down from the first and filled with cliche's that remind us of the first one. The Godfather Part II is an extension of The Godfather(ironically both movies are the composite to the novel The Godfather).

• Based On The Novel : An Essay From Jeffrey Black   15 years 18 weeks ago

It would've been really difficult to bring American psycho closer to its literary source. I enjoyed the movie, not that much, but it was alright. The book is off the hook, but I dont weigh my opinion of the film with the book.

• Many Reasons Why The 70's Was The Best Decade For Movies   15 years 18 weeks ago

My list of disagreement is finished.

• films i'm avoiding for one reason or another   15 years 18 weeks ago

some of the movies on this list i just dont understand why. such as fight club, the skulls, and possibly final destination. scary movie was not worth seeing at all. and i heard that american history x was really good.

I relate, L. Bangs. In fact, I may make a list of my own to that effect.