• THE MOVIE GAME   15 years 14 weeks ago

Hey, I'm throwing in "Chasing Amy", because his role was so miniscule most people have forgotten it, and I want to show off. Hahaha!(His role is the assistant to a television guy who wants to produce the comics the two main characters write in the movie.)

• NAME THAT QUOTE: A game, using some of my favorites..   15 years 14 weeks ago

I meant cheat as in looking them up. Who knows if your subconscious gave you a guess you just weren't aware of? Also, you're right on 4, wrong on 15, which I've never actually read. Is it good?

• Based On The Novel : An Essay From Jeffrey Black   15 years 14 weeks ago

No offense, but how is my point not valid?

I do believe that most films based on excellent literature yet not true to their sources tend to be the lesser for it, but these deviations are flaws that can and should detected by a simple viewing of the film, without using the source as a recourse. The films are not weak because they deviated, they are weak because these deviations often weaken the story. There is a reason many of the classics are considered classics - because they are pretty darned good they way they are.

Shakespeare is no different, unless of course we are going to excuse him because he was a genius, in which case we are admitting that being untrue to a source is alright, as long as it results in excellent work.

To jump from high to low culture for another example, the James Bond movie truest to the novels is The Living Daylights (Timothy Dalton is nearly a carbon-copy of the Bond of the books), but I don't know anybody who claims this as the best Bond film. Most people claim Goldfinger, which has very little in common with Fleming's novels. Most people also prefer Sean Connery as Bond, even though he doesn't really line up with the extremely thin, cold-blooded, non-Scottish Bond of the novels. As long as the end result is good, the relation of the film to the source just shouldn't (and doesn't, really) matter.

Gee, and I'm not even a fan of Kubrick's Lolita...

As a brief aside and answer, David Lynch directed Dune, which you probably already know. Ah well.

• A Film (or two) for Every State   15 years 14 weeks ago

Being an Oregon native, I have to mention at least on more movie for Oregon, Overboard

• Guilty Pleasures   15 years 14 weeks ago

I just have to comment on Remo Williams. I thought it was a good movie (probably a guilty pleasure), but the books are just so much better.

• Many Reasons Why The 50's Was The Best Decade For Movies   15 years 14 weeks ago

I assume you're talking to thecritic, and not to me?

To be honest, I don't really care. Pegging one decade over another is a bit too abstract and silly for me, but I do get a bit tired of people acting as if the 70s were the only golden age for films. Is it a coincidence that most of these people were raised in the 70s? Is this just another recency craze in disguise?

I don't know, but the wonderful 50s do get over-looked while the 70s are hyped to high heaven, so seeing that, I love this list. He's got over 50 great films up there, and he helps remind us how great films were in the 50s.

L. Bangs (who also loves the 70s)

• Italianamerican: The Eleven Greatest Martin Scorsese Films   15 years 14 weeks ago

I think Mr. Critic is correct. Either a film should be judged by its source or not. Did The Hustler need a sequel? No, it didn't NEED one, but then neither did The Godfather. We don't need films, for that matter, but they did exist, just as The Color of Money exists, and I'm glad for both.

Really, either your comment was off the cuff and not a criticism or a comment implying that The Color of Money should not have been made since The Hustler was so great (which does not treat it as an independent work of art). The first is not a criticism and therefore harmless. The second does indeed fall into the very same trap you argue against when people compare a film to the novel it is based on - refusing to treat a film as an independent work of art.

This isn't really my argument, so I'll step out now, but no, the critic is not stretching to make his point.

And, of course, I still love ya'!

• 0017: The Science Fiction Film Hall of Fame (1900-2000)   15 years 14 weeks ago

Lets try again. What about Silent Running from '71?

The Color Of Money was bogged down by a so so performance by Newman and Cruise. The direction is magnificent, the story is weak. The Hustler did not need a sequel.

• CC00007: Ridley Scott   15 years 14 weeks ago

I think Alien is probably his best Lester. But Blade Runner is indeed wonderful.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   15 years 14 weeks ago

Vertigo. The atmosphere aint nothing compared to a Hal Hartley film. You said something like that, right bangsodrummerboy? Well, you're right. The atmosphere to Vertigo is nothing at all compared to a Hal Hartley film. You are absolutely right.

• Best Hamlet Adaptions   15 years 14 weeks ago

Thats right Johnny, you made a mistake.

• Favorite Guilty Pleasures   15 years 14 weeks ago

With all do respect..you should feel guilty.

• Films I Couldn't Finish   15 years 14 weeks ago

I get shivers thinking about how many times I finished these great films....

• Comedies I Own on Video   15 years 14 weeks ago

Some fun movies on here. However, this library of comedies could be upgraded. Blazing Saddles, The producers, Dr. Strangelove, Some Like It Hot, Young Frankenstein, Night Shift, Animal House, Stripes, Trading Places, The Survivors, etc.

• Dramas I Own on Video   15 years 14 weeks ago

Another Nicholson lover. The Last Detail is one of the greatest films.

• Beatles XI: The Eleven Greatest Beatles Albums   15 years 14 weeks ago

I have to go with The White Album here.

• NAME THAT QUOTE: A game, using some of my favorites..   15 years 14 weeks ago

I noticed you said not to cheat in guessing them. Because of the syntax, I got a little confused.
    Do you mean not to cheat the standard way...as in looking them up on Amazon or something?

Or did you mean not to cheat in guessing them...as in throwing out something relatively random, as I did?

If you meant the former, my guesses were valid. I did not look them up. If you meant the latter, please disregard both my suggestions.

I'm not being hypocritical here. many films didnt need a sequel, and that has nothing to do with based on the novel theories. Come on critic, you know that! Did Jaws need a sequel, or friday The 13th? Some movies stories do not need to be revisited, and in my opinion The Hustler is one of them. The comparison to sequels and Films Based On Novels is way out there.

• Many Reasons Why The 70's Was The Best Decade For Movies   15 years 14 weeks ago

I could name more you know.

Thats simply your opinion. I think I'm right. I'll match my movies against yours any day.

• Based On The Novel : An Essay From Jeffrey Black   15 years 14 weeks ago

Some novels that have great stories are made into films. Knowing that film is visual we interpret the film as we see it. Books are created visually in our heads through what we visualize. There is where a lot of the differences between books and film take place. I may read a book and get a completely different feeling from it than say Les, or you Jim #2.Films are made mostly (not always) to set up a similar response from its viewers. It's so hard to take a book literally in a film adaptation. No need to disregard one of the art forms and deprive ourselves of more entertainment.

• Based On The Novel : An Essay From Jeffrey Black   15 years 14 weeks ago

Someone recently said "creativity is just undetected plagarism". I suppose I agree that a film and a book can and should stand on its own merits. But I think Buddy makes a very valid point that any movie that is not true to its source material is the lesser for it. Whether that source material is a book, play or original screenplay it is the job of the director and others to get the spirit of that material condensed into a 2 to 3 hour movie. Sometimes this is a very difficult job that can be botched by both bad and good directors.; Like Kubrick with Lolita (though not without merit, Lolita has many flaws) and who ever directed say..Dune.

I think the point Lester brings up about Shakespeare is not really very valid on many books turned into Movies. I do like it though as an argument for sampling in the music industry.

• Cast The Vote For The Greatest Director   15 years 14 weeks ago

He's made some good stuff, no doubt.

• Cast The Vote For The Greatest Director   15 years 14 weeks ago

I can't comment on your opinion since the only works of his I've seen are Dekalog 1 and 2. I know that whole series is respected while his Red/White/Blue series is also critically acclaimed.