• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   14 years 9 weeks ago

i am sorry but night of the living dead sucked and was not scary at all. the only good thing was that black guy who could just do anything and was an all around pimp!

• Country Artists   14 years 9 weeks ago

Just stumbled on this list by browsing the list author directory & viewing the lists of people who wrote comments about themselves.

Just gotta say....wow. Have you been raiding my (actually my husband's) CD rack? The only two I haven't heard are Mindy McReady and Gene Watson. I love Dwight Yoakam, Jimmie Dale is very talented, the Mavericks just plain rock. Junior Brown is one of my husband's all-time favourites, but really not my thing. Johnny Cash is a legend, and so cool it hurts. I will have to check out Gene Watson as I really dig western swing. If you like that genre I highly (I emphasize HIGHLY) recommend Asleep at the Wheel.

If you haven't heard it, Dwight's latest (dwightyoakam.acoustic.net) cuts out all the extras and gets down to the bones of real country. Although not really a country fan per se, I am deeply affected by this album.

• Top 9 Chick Singers That Really Rock!!   14 years 9 weeks ago

Do these all have to be modern singers? 'Cause if not, I nominate Janis Joplin, who blows these chicks out of the water. [Oh wait, Joni Mitchell isn't exactly brand spanking new, is she? ;) ]

• 25 Albums to Feed your Soul   14 years 9 weeks ago

Nice to see a Vigilantes of Love fan here. Do you like my favorite, Killing Floor?

I'm also a Cockburn fan; Humans is one of my 20 favorite albums ever.

Welcome aboard!

• Movies with interesting use of colour   14 years 9 weeks ago

I hadn't even thought of this movie (forgot even that I'd seen it). The impressionistic look of many of the scenes was interesting, but something is making me hesitate before adding it to the list. I think maybe colour had less to do with what the director was trying to do than the painting style (which may or may not have a deliberate and expressive use of colour). Perhaps what is also making me hesitate is that I didn't really like this movie at all. I know my personal opinion of the film isn't really in the criteria I set out, but I do think that the use of colour should impress me before I add to the list. The whole movie was surrealistic and, IMHO, overly romanticized. However, I will think more about whether or not the use of colour in this movie is emphasized and conscious enough to make the cut.

If you see the comments above, the only thing keeping the Three Colors trilogy off the list is that I haven't seen them yet. I'm sure they'll make it once I do.

Thanks for you input!

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Whew!

• I've recently become surprised that The Listology   14 years 9 weeks ago

Oh my aching forefinger! That's a heckuva lot of clicking. Hows about going through them and rounding up all the external links for us? That wouldn't be very much work, Jim, would it? :-D

• neat books i've finished in the last few months...   14 years 9 weeks ago

Zod Wallop is by William Browning Spencer

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

A few more possiblities...

Prince - Sign O' the Times
    Bruce Cockburn - Call It Democracy
    Randy Stonehill - Hell Burn Hot Enough
    Bob Dylan - Gee, pick one
    Elvis Costello - Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)

• Resonant Movies, Tier One   14 years 9 weeks ago

I'd like to nominate Peter Weir's "Fearless". From it's dreamlike opening, to its joyess realization of the beauty of life at the end, I find that just the decision to pop that tape in takes me to another place.

• I've recently become surprised that The Listology   14 years 9 weeks ago

Actually, you can click on the "read older news" link at the bottom of the homepage. If you click on it enough, you'll go all the way back to when I adopted this format.

Looking forward to the new lists!

• Writers I'd Most Like To Meet (Living and Dead)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Just had to ask given the other authors you have listed. I like the fiction better, but have read the non-fiction as well. It just tends to get repetitive after awhile. I almost met him once...

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 9 weeks ago

the Hamilton books are a big huge grand sweeping space opera. Three books but parts 1 & 2 were published as two paperbacks each. I personally loved them. (He's got another series out as well that are more of a future mystery series).

• Writers I'd Most Like To Meet (Living and Dead)   14 years 9 weeks ago

I love RAW's work immensely. I've read nearly all of his books. I do like is non-fiction a whole lot better than his fiction though.

I would have added him to my list but I've already met him several times.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 9 weeks ago

I've heard nothing but great things about Vinge's two novels and they are highly recommended by Alexlit (and I have the one you mentioned). Haven't heard too much about the Hamilton series but Alexlit says that I'll give it a Really Good which is the 3rd highest rating. I do recognise the name, I'll have to keep an eye out when I'm book shoping.

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

Since you like John Mellencamp, may I humbly suggest his original version of Love and Happiness, one of the greatest protest songs in the last few decades?

• 0022: The 100 Best Rock Albums (11-20)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Hmmm. I don't remember believing that song was out of place. Let me listen to it again tonight or tomorrow, and I'll hopefully have something more intelligent to say.

• Movies That Well Illustrate Action/Suspense Plot Number One   14 years 9 weeks ago

Definitely (on Hannibal Lecter).

Hollow Man is basically a reinterpretation of H.G. Wells The Invisible Man, from what I hear. And also the ultimate stalker movie (what if your stalker could get into your house without being seen?). It's not actually a great movie, from what I hear, but it does fit into the list.

Actually, I was pleased to see in the previews, that some of the victims appear to actually approach their problem intelligently, but trying to make him (temporarily) visible - they show people throwing mud on him, and turning on the sprinklers so they can see the water outline around him. So unusual for a horror movie, where the victims are idiotic about trying to save themselves.

I think I must go see it, even if it's not great.

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

hmmm....interesting addition...I'll have to pull out that CD and listen to the song again. I think Mellencamp himself could probably have several songs on the list. "Now more than ever," "Authority Song" and "Case 795" all come to mind.

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

"We are the World"...nice edition...Of course, I must confess I preferred the European one "Do They Know It's Christmas?" I'll have to ponder the whole Billy Joel one...I adore the song, and am listening to it right now. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Sorry, no hucksterism intended. I have now written 91 of these write-ups, and I must admit, it takes a bit out of me. As I approach the top albums, I feel a bit intimidated attempting to praise each disc appropriately. I wrote up number eight yesterday and ended up deleting it before I posted. It wasn't good enough, and it didn't quite capture what made the album truly great. Sometimes, I wish I had just posted a straight list without write-ups. All in all, however, I'm glad I chose to include them, despite the trouble they present.

Thanks for the compliments; hopefully, I'll have a few more up before too long. That Elvis one was my longest yet, and it was somewhat exhausting. I am both dreading and anticipating tackling the remainder!

• 0014: Akira Kurosawa's Five Best Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

And I no doubt owe The Seven Samurai another viewing soon!

Akira was truly one of the masters, and it is too bad that he is often left off of many of the greatest directors lists I have seen lately.

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 9 weeks ago

You are such a tease. Here your "10-1" list finally appears, and it only has #9 and #10 on it! You should write a serial. Folks would wait by the docks. :)

• Read Quickly While Recovering from Various Physical Maladies   14 years 9 weeks ago

Sorry to hear about the maladies. But what did you think of Drowned Hopes? Was that your first Dortmunder book, or are you a fan?

• 0014: Akira Kurosawa's Five Best Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

Yes indeed. What a career! I recently rewatched The Seven Samaurai and was blown away again. Definitely an all-time favorite. Based on that, I probably owe Rashoman a rewatch as well.