• favorite actresses   13 years 43 weeks ago

seriously? that's kind of bizarre...and it makes the listology world seem just a little bit smaller.

and yes, you should definitely get a schedule for the Dryden. it's the best thing goin' round here... i'm going to see Singin' in the Rain this coming Sunday--it should be even better on the big screen. maybe i'll run into you!

• Favorite Movies   13 years 43 weeks ago

Yes, I agree. I didn't like The Opposite of Sex either.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks for your input, L. Bangs. After reading your post and nadine's post below as well, I think I understand better what people are saying when they say the music was used too heavy handedly or was too noticable.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 43 weeks ago

This is why I used the definitions I did. No doubt, the music plays a dramatic role in the maddeningly suspenseful Psycho; however, Hitchcock also made sure he didn't rely solely on the music to generate any thrills. He spent nearly an hour following Janet, slowly allowing the sense of eerie dread to develop to the extremely effective shower scene. Other scenes are also built up with elements that the music compliments but does not substitute for.

Interestingly, Hitchcock seems to have considered using no music during the shower scene, and the DVD for Psycho includes the sequence sans music. It is still very chilling, although I prefer the film's use of music in the scene.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Bertie, what a fantastic idea for a list! I would love to take full advantage of your efforts, but I unfortunately do not have a sound card. Still, I love this concept, and as soon as my PC is wired for sound, you can be sure I will explore more here.

• Movies to Avoid at All Cost   13 years 43 weeks ago

Yeah, in other words, you were confronted. The film took all your hopes and expectations and threw them back in your face. You need to recognise the important difference between a film that disappoints and confronts you and a worthless crappy movie. I'm not saying AR is great - e.g., scientifically it's nonsense (for one thing, it would have taken huge air-pressure in the 'Betty' to blow the hybrid alien out through that little hole in the window). And did the scientists just forget that alien blood will eat through the aliens cages? Apparently, we're supposed to believe they didn't know about acid-for-blood. On the other hand, I don't see your problem with swimming aliens.

I'll end this comment with a quote: Call: "You're not her." Ripley 8: "I'm not her." But, by the end of the movie, isn't it the old Ripley that emerges in the final scenes?

• CC00012: Paul McCartney   13 years 43 weeks ago

I also found these results very interesting. Paul and George's best albums actually score rather closely, with the exception of Harrison's All Things Must Pass. From what I could tell, ATMP would have scored a ten if it wasn't for the endless jams that comprise the final third or so of the album. Most critics hated these, and it is a testament to the remaining songs that the album still pulled a nine. Without that one album, however, I think Paul's finest work has the upper-hand over George's on these lists. Paul does have quite a few albums scoring in the middle of the range, but then Paul has continued making many more albums than George, and I find it a bit heartening that one of Paul's recent works, Flaming Pie, was actually one of his highest ranking works. The guy's got some juice left in him.

Obviously, the critical masses have swung quite a bit in favor of John over the other Beatles, although I was a bit surprised most of John's solo work, excepting Plastic Ono, Imagine, and the compilation, didn't fare better. I haven't CCed Ringo yet, but I seriously doubt his solo work will fare as well as John's. In fact, I'm willing to bet he will score quite a bit lower than the other three.

None of which, of course, should take away one bit from the fantastic work all four accomplished in the Beatles. I seriously doubt any other rock band will surpass them on these CC lists, where their scores are simply amazing.

Ringo's list will follow before long.

• CC00012: Paul McCartney   13 years 43 weeks ago

Interesting. Significantly lower average score for Sir Paul than for John and George, and Ringo has yet to get a look in. Back in their heyday, the generally agreed order of popularity was John, closely followed by Paul, then George, then Ringo.

• Books I read when I was too Young   13 years 43 weeks ago

I also, a few years later, saw the Clan of the Cave Bear Movie, with Daryl Hannah. It not very good, and of course the "flatheads" don't speak, so we see them speaking a sort of lewd and crude sign language with subtitles. In 7th grade a friend of mine and I thought it was the height of humor to try to persuade out band teacher to play that at our end of the year pizza parties, instead of what we usually saw, "Herbie Rides Again."

The Old Man and the Sea prejudiced me against Ernest Hemingway for a long time, although I did read The Sun Also Rises in college and enjoyed it.

• Books I read when I was too Young   13 years 43 weeks ago

Wow. Thought I was the only one who read Clan of the Cave Bear in 5th grade. I personally would disagree with the "too young" attribute for that one. I think mom my borrowed it from a neighbor and I ended up reading it before she did.

The Old Man and the Sea was assigned in junior high and I hated it. Not sure that would be different if I'd read it later though.

• 0011. Albums I Brought to Work Today - And Why (6/16/00)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Again, thanks, Jim. I believe I will leave this list up and occasionally add new installments as separate lists.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   13 years 43 weeks ago

The point is Taryn's!

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 43 weeks ago

I have a thought/comment on the emotional manipulation thread running through here, and just wondered about some opinions. I had to write a paper once on Psycho and I remember that, for me, the use of music by Hitchcock, especially whenever the characters were moving through the house, really established the mood and the suspense of the movie. Without the music, I don't know if the movie would have had nearly the same impact for me. I understand not liking the use of swelling music to "force" the audience to feel some emotion, but how does that differ from Hitchcock's use of it in Psycho to generate suspense?

I'm just curious as to what people feel here.

• great books you probably haven't read (or even heard of)   13 years 43 weeks ago

I've heard of six of your books, but have only read one: The Little Prince. It's incredible how a short story could contain such significant a message.

• Some Flicks & Why I like them   13 years 43 weeks ago

Thank you both - I've spent the last couple of days reading through much of this site, getting familiar with the regulars. I've enjoyed both of your lists as well as your comments on numerous other lists.

I have checked out the High Fidelity list...thanks for the reference. I think I will take your challenge for the "genre" list, though I think my experience will be fairly limited in many genres. Hope I don't disappoint.

• Some Flicks & Why I like them   13 years 43 weeks ago

If you liked the High Fidelity lists (a movie I'm looking forward to), you should check out this old Listology item that includes links to all the lists.

Nice contribution, by the way! Looking forward to a definitive "favorites" list, if one is in the cards. Or, if you're up to the challenge, a number of us have created "favorites by genre" lists, and I'd be curious to see yours.

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 43 weeks ago

I had the advantage of seeing The Phantom Menace well after it had been savaged by every critic and his/her grandmother. Based on the lambasting it took, I'd have to put in on an underrated list rather than an overrated one ("over-anticipated" certainly, but I don't see how it's possible for this one to be overrated). Sure, it was the worst of the four, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everybody said (or maybe my expectations had been so thoroughly battered that I cut it too much slack). I hated Jar Jar too, but I would have loved him at seven (my age when A New Hope came out). I think this movie suffered critically because it was just a big set up for what is to come (and because of Jar Jar).

And I must say your disenchantment with the rest of the movie must have colored your perception of light saber duel, which was excellent. One of the best action scenes in any of the series.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Btw, you don't have to listen to all of a piece (though I hope you will, sooner or later) before sampling the next one. Just go to the next one, click on it, and it will automatically replace the one that's currently playing.

• Favorite Movies   13 years 43 weeks ago

I believe you're thinking of The Opposite of Sex, which did contain an annoying voice-over.

• Some Flicks & Why I like them   13 years 43 weeks ago

Enjoyed your remarks, especially about SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and APOCALYPSE NOW. One of the ugliest things commercial advertising does is mutilate great music.

• Favorite Movies   13 years 43 weeks ago

You're right. I'm getting Buffalo 66 mixed up with another Christina Ricci film that was out at the same time, where she went to live with her gay brother and Lisa Kudrow ends up falling for Lyle Lovett.... Mea Culpa! Buffalo 66 indeed sounds good.

• favorite actresses   13 years 43 weeks ago

I guess I could be seeing them, too, because I'm in Rochester...

• Music I'd Like to Get Into   13 years 43 weeks ago

No, I don't own The Trinity Sessions as of yet, but I am definitely considering it!

• Favorite One Hit Wonders   13 years 43 weeks ago

i just heard "died in your arms tonight" by cutting crew the other day and it was so good! surprisingly, it didn't sound that *dated*... also, there was that band called Johnny Hates Jazz--what did they sing again?

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Bertie it worked so well Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel is still playing as I type this. LOL, I didn't realize I had to wait until this one was over to listen to the others.

By the way, excellent sites!