• literary songs   14 years 8 weeks ago

"Don't Stand So Close to Me" The Police - line "that famous book by Nabakov"

• Worst Movies Ever: An Interactive List   14 years 8 weeks ago

More votes for Batman and Robin and The Avengers, two of the worst high-budget films ever. Defintely life-sucking. And sadly, Uma Thurman was in both, I can't imagine what she was thinking.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 8 weeks ago

Hey! #32 is Die Hard, yes?

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 8 weeks ago

Is there any movie, excluding documentaries, that doesn't butcher history?

• Movies I haven't tired of despite repeated viewings   14 years 8 weeks ago

Many of those movies I've seen a few times and could see again (or want to).

• Worst Movies Ever: An Interactive List   14 years 8 weeks ago

I Whole-Heartedly Disagreee:
    -------------------------------------------------

Excess Baggage - I'm sorry, but I found it quite delightful and fun. In fact, I think it is UNDERrated.

Crash - Certainly not Cronenberg's best, but 'Worst Film Ever'? ... No Way.

Please cast my votes for Worst Ever:
    -------------------------------------------------
    Armegeddon - not only was it drudfully dull, but was anyone else truly offended by the music--both the musucal selections and the score? I found it totally intolerable.

Batman & Robin - In my wildest dreams, I couldn't have imagined a more horrible piece of Hollywood grizzle.

Additionally:
    -------------------------------------------------
    Supernova - 1999 WOW! You rarely get to see movies this bad!

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (Kenneth Branaugh) - I have only ever walked out of one film, and this was almost the second.

Johnny Neumonic - My friends and I left 1/2 hour into the movie. When the Box Office attendent inquired why we were leaving, she gave us our money back. I eventually watched it on video and it turned out as bad as it seemed it would be.

• Worst Movies Ever: An Interactive List   14 years 8 weeks ago

Event Horizon-- that's my vote! Fun idea, I'll have to think of a worthy nominee.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 8 weeks ago

Here's a copy of the review I left on Amazon. I hope you're not looking for motivation to get it off your shelf...

I like the writing style and the whole thing is very original but after _Vurt_ this was
    definitely disappointing. The characters were not as much fun as _Vurt_, the scenes
    weren't as cool as _Vurt_. I would have liked it a lot more if it was about 100 pages
    shorter. It just dragged and even at the end I didn't get excited, although the comical
    version of Charon was hilarious.

A warning to cyberpunkers that haven't read _Vurt_ there really is no 'science' involved in this 'cyberpunck' novel. It really is more like a modern fantasy - no computers and no
    technobable.

If you like his style a lot try it, if you're not impressed with his prose leave it on the shelf.

• great cover songs/remakes   14 years 8 weeks ago

Among my favorites is Roger Daltry's cover of Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me".

MarkW

• literary songs   14 years 8 weeks ago

Breakfast At Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something, even though it's referring to the film, I guess it still might count...

• literary songs   14 years 8 weeks ago

Just off the top of my head, "My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors" by Moxy Fruvous. Mentions tons, but a few are Ondaatje, Doris Lessing, Robertson Davies, and Margaret Atwood.

• HOPPING ON THE BANDWAGON: my lyric list...IT'S GROWING AND GROWING   14 years 8 weeks ago

I cry Uncle on the rest of these.

MarkW

Here's an obscure one for you:
    "If you dream of the girl for you, then call us and get two for the price of one." I know, I know. I contribute weird shit. And yes, I'm on the listology like every day now.

Of course you should admit to knowing it! That song kicks ass! And not only do you know it, you must know it pretty well. I didn't catch those particular lyrics until maybe the 15th to 20th listen.

• Worst Movies Ever: An Interactive List   14 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks for your contributions! I hate to say it though, but "Bride of Chucky" was automatically eliminated by my enjoyment of it. If someone else suggests it, however, I've already used my vote. Does that make sense? I liked it MORE than the other Chucky movies. Maybe because I never found them scary to begin with.

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 8 weeks ago

Sorry, that's incorrect.

No laughing...I promise. At least *someone* posted a guess...(grin).

MarkW

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 8 weeks ago

How did Pollen compare to Vurt. I've had it sitting on my shelf for quite awhile, just haven't gotten around to reading it.

i'll need to check with jen about this one (cause she suggested it and i don't know the answer) but knowing her obsession with the southpark sdtrk, it sounds right...

both of you (MarkW and taryn) are right! making quick work of my mini-list....good job!

• 09162000: MarkW's first lyric quiz   14 years 8 weeks ago

I'm 100% sure I'm wrong, but I'm going to take a stab in the dark anyway. #6 Time by Hootie and the Blowfish?? Don't laugh at me.

• Worst Movies Ever: An Interactive List   14 years 8 weeks ago

I cast my vote for the Green Berets and Teaching Mrs Tingle.

• 0001. Books I Love   14 years 8 weeks ago

If you like Dostoevsky, I must recommend Notes From the Underground. The only Marquez novel I've read is Love in the Time of Cholera, an amazing piece of fiction. Check them out if you have time, they are musts

• Tori Amos - I Love Her 60% Of The Time   14 years 8 weeks ago

I own all of Tori's (official) albums, except for Boys for Pele. Under the Pink is the only one which I don't really like. But Little Earthquakes is a classic. It's the first Tori album which I bought and I think it'll always remain my favourite.

• Movies I'm Somewhat Ashamed to Admit I Like   14 years 8 weeks ago

Great suggestion! If anyone can enjoy the, um, colourful humour in Baseketball, then Orgazmo isn't a far leap. Truly a guilty pleasure (I still occasionally find myself saying, superhero-like: "Choda boy!!").

• great cover songs/remakes   14 years 8 weeks ago

You're right, they usually do suck. One of the worst EVER is Faith Hill's version of "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin. Anyway, may I suggest "Rusty Cage" originally done by Soundgarden and covered by Johnny Cash. Radically different from the original but every bit as good.