• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 7 weeks ago

Well I haven't read tons of sci-fi but I have been reading it more lately. I really liked some of the scenes (especially the end) but on a whole it seemed kind of disjointed to me. I wasn't really sure what he was trying to say but I guess it was just that the message was so simple (the cycle of technology and then holocaust) that I was looking for more. So I think the problem is that it seems like an old idea, but considering that it was written almost 50 years ago that's ok. I just finished _The Sparrow_ and liked that much better even though the sci-fi in the story kind of took a back seat to the character development.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 7 weeks ago

I've seen a bunch of Nicholas Brothers footage at a small theater here. The guy who owns it has a bunch of old movies that he'll bring out and play from time to time. Actually last fall I had the privilege of seeing one of the Nicholas Brothers perform at a dance camp I was at! Definitely not quite the dancer he once was, but still impressive that he can dance at all at his age. (80s I think)

• My Greatest Movies!   14 years 7 weeks ago

You liked TELEPHONE? Whoopi Goldberg's TELEPHONE? So you're the one. But you liked THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT too? Chalk and cheese.

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 7 weeks ago

Got 'em both. :)

• Seen Recently At Theater   14 years 7 weeks ago

I wonder myself. Or how many can identify the baseball and glove in the "cooler" allegory. Actually, I always thought #17 was Billy W.'s best also. Throw in Harvey Lembeck and Neville Brand and you have a classic.

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 7 weeks ago

Cool. You should definitely check out his graphic novel, The Dark Knight Returns. A classic. And I'm not even a Batman fan.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 7 weeks ago

Whoops! The documentary is named, That's Dancing, and the fantastic brothers I mentioned are the Nicholas Brothers.

• movies with good dance scenes..   14 years 7 weeks ago

Last weekend, I watched the documentary Let's Dance, which is full of wonderful scenes that surely merit consideration for this list. It is basically a compilation of dance scenes extracted from famous films, and any lover of dance would probably adore it.

Highlights included some B. Burkley numbers, a young Fred Astaire performing a wonderful number, a breath-taking duet between two brothers whose names I can't remember right now for the life in me, and so very nice ballet from Barishnakov [sic] . Oh, and a brief clip for the aforementioned Red Shoes.

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 7 weeks ago

i actually haven't read transmetropolitan yet. one of my friends told me to read it so it is on my list to read. i'm glad that you like my list, especially JTHM. i wasn't sure if it really fit in with the others, but i had to include 'nny. never know what might happen to me if i don't :)

• 10 Reasons why comix shouldn't be overlooked   14 years 7 weeks ago

he completely slipped my mind. this is what i get for making this list when all my possessions (including comix) are packed. i'll have to add him to the list. thanks.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Bertie - Have you ever heard one of my favorite pieces, Beethoven's 9th conducted by Furtwangler and performed by the Berlin Orchestra during World War II? I highly recommend it!

L. Bangs (trying to contribute even if he doesn't have a sound card...)

• Since   14 years 7 weeks ago

If "The English Patient" is in recent memory, then I want to add that to the list of films that were better than their books. The movie version was more coherent and intelligible than the book--a miracle considering the amount of inner dialogue in the book! OK, the gorgeous cinematography helped a lot, as did the explicit ending of the movie. Agree or disagree??

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 7 weeks ago

By the way, I have decided to create a film list to compliment this one, and I am about halfway through it. It will probably be about twice as long as this list, but since films have existed at least twice as long as rock music has, I believe this is appropriate. Afterwards, depending on feedback, I might create a tier two for both lists. I've already be working up a short list for a rock music tier two.

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 7 weeks ago

The "no compilations on tier one or two" rule was a last minute one, and the rule has encouraged the list to be a bit bulb-shaped chronologically. Since this list is made up of albums, I decided to emphasize works that were created to be listened to as albums over compilations of singles. It helped pare this tier down to the essentials, and (IMHO) it offers a better introduction to the artists listed than most compilations afford.

You ask about the lack of 80s and 90s artist; I'm a bit more troubled by the lack of 50s and early 60s artists here. Notice no Elvis Presley, no Buddy Holly, no James Brown, and no Sam Cooke! Yes, much of this will be corrected when I get around to posting tier three. In fact, I am considering breaking the third tier into two parts - one for albums and one for compilations. Because of my rule, I believe that third tier will easily be the largest of the tiers, and that's fine. Once you have established an excellent foundation, filling in the cracks can be a long and fun process, and hopefully that third tier will reflect this.

As it is, I'm afraid that Michael Jackson's Thriller will have to represent the sounds of 80s radio pop on this list for now.

• in current rotation   14 years 7 weeks ago

How many versions of BSN does that make now? Yes, I love that song, and that first version of At the Foot of the Cross is easily the best album of its type around, IMHO.

• Favorite Actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

I'm curious about what it is you like about these actors. It's a great list and I agree with most of your choices (and am too unfamiliar with some of the others to judge). Can you maybe give examples of your favourite roles they've played, at least for a few of them? Or is it that you like the consistently high quality of the work they've produced?

• Top U2 songs   14 years 7 weeks ago

I would have to add "Running to Stand Still," off of the Joshua Tree album (which I've been known to listen to 3 or 4 times in a row). And I'd also add the last two songs on Pop, "Please" and "Wake Up Dead Man."

• in current rotation   14 years 7 weeks ago

yeah, i saw her at a Women-of-Faith conference and the new album is mainly celtic-influenced stuff. (and there's a great cover of "beautiful scandalous night" if you're familiar with that tune.) also, i heard she's got a christmas album coming out in a couple months!

• Great Musical Numbers in Non-Musical Movies   14 years 7 weeks ago

This may not fit your idea of "musical number" exactly, but I really liked Audrey Hepburn singing "Moon River" in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

This list has been plaguing me for a few days now. I know I know more scenes that would fit into this category, I just can't think of them.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 7 weeks ago

What'd you think of A Canticle for Leibowitz. I just finished reading it as well, though for me it was a reread for a book group I'm in. I'd suggested it as one of our monthly reads and am very curious to see the other people's reactions since I don't think any of them are SF readers generally.

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

correct

• 0007. L. Bangs' Great Lyric Challenge   14 years 7 weeks ago

correct; always good to play on the way to work early in the morning...

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 7 weeks ago

Madonna was excluded only because, like many of the 80s artists, I believe she works better as a singles artist than an album artist. Had I chose to allow compilations on the first tier, you would surely see The Immaculate Collection on this list.

I'm leaving work, so I'll type a fuller response later. Thanks for the input!

• Favorite Actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

Bruce Willis feels like he belongs here. And I know you're a Die Hard fan . . .

• So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Fan - 2005 Edition   14 years 7 weeks ago

It does help for the 90s, thanks. But the 80s still look a bit thin to my untrained eye. Which bands on this list are 80s bands? I'm kinda surprised U2 isn't on here, but for no articulatable reason. Wasn't Madonna quite influential through there as well, or does she not count as rock n' roll? I mean, I know female vocals were well (or at least better) represented in jazz and soul, but didn't she (help) bring about the emergence of female rock leads? Just my intuitive sense - no facts to back it up. I know Janis Joplin preceded her, but I don't think you saw the surge of female soloist and band-leaders after her that you saw follow Madonna. Hmm. There's The Pretenders. Jefferson Airplane. Okay, I'm probably forgetting a ton. But I'll post this anyway.