• Not my kind of movie   14 years 7 weeks ago

Every movie you NAMED is a masterpiece. If you do not watch them you are depriving yourself of not only great entertainment, but possibly personal insight about facets of life that we may not be ready to confront but ultimatly we have to. Please reconsider. Something tells me you won't be dissapointed.Word.

• movies i wouldn't watch again if my life depended on it   14 years 7 weeks ago

I agree with my man Berie dude.Deliverence is a compelling powerful drama. rafted by the master John Boorman and the acting is top of the line.

• Movies I Wish I Hadn't Seen On the Big Screen aka The "All Sales are Final" List   14 years 7 weeks ago

I feel your pain.These movies suck!!!!!!

• movies I really ought to see sometime   14 years 7 weeks ago

No shit.

• Movies I own...in no particular order   14 years 7 weeks ago

INTERESTING VARIETY.

• movies i endured just to say i saw them   14 years 7 weeks ago

Well Taryn, I hope that the enduring paid off on the last eight movies on your list. They are brilliant.

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 7 weeks ago

YAY! Finally someone guessed it!

• Movie Quotes Part Two: The Revenge!   14 years 7 weeks ago

#17 would be BOOGIE NIGHT Jennifer.

• Martin Scorsese's Triumphs   14 years 7 weeks ago

Where is Taxi Driver,After Hours or Casino?

• Favorite Horror Movies   14 years 7 weeks ago

I can't say that I agree with as many of your favorites as you did mine. However, favorites are just that, favorites. Not too many well made films on your list. I tend to go with more quality in my choices. I totally don't understand how Nightmare III gets on anyone's list. The originality and genius of the first installment far surpasses any of it's predecessors. The scene with Freddie walking in the ally, long arms scraping the walls totally chills me everytime I see it. The others are more for comedy than horror. And if comedy is what you're after, I suggest you check out "The Evil Dead." It's quite possibly the most humerous movie I've seen.

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 7 weeks ago

Very good Jen you horror fanatic you. Do some research and do some of the other quotes. I knew you'd comment on this list.

• Disappointing Movies   14 years 7 weeks ago

I'm confused chump! You put Heat, Magnolia, Jackie Brown, and Ronin on a negative list. Either this is a complete mistake or you've had to much heroin. What exactly makes a good movie in your book? Well, go on, please elaborate.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   14 years 7 weeks ago

Phillip Seymour Hoffman from Boogie Nights, Magnolia, lmost Famous, the Big Lebowski and Twister. This cat is a stud

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 7 weeks ago

6= The Exorcist or any parody thereof, 7=The Shining.

• Darryll's TOP FIVE HORROR MOVIE'S   14 years 7 weeks ago

yay! Another horror fan! They're really starting to come out of the woodwork these days. Please check out my list, and tell me what you think. I agree with all your choices, but I wouldn't put them as high up on my own list. Except Night of the Living Dead, which is really underrated by many people. I didn't appreciate The Exorcist, however, until I saw it in re-release with the new footage. It just didn't play on video for me the same way. Again, great to see more horror fans.

• Disappointing Movies   14 years 7 weeks ago

Chump? I'll let that go.

See the conversation above for some notes on why I don't like Heat. I suppose I could go on at more length if I was willing to rent it again and write down my laundry list of complaints, but these days I don't have three hours to spare on movies I like, forget about rewatching that.

I've already trashed Magnolia here.

Jackie Brown was completely lacking in all things that made Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs great. Snappy dialog? No. Compelling villians and/or antiheros? No. Driving plot? No. Great performances from an outstanding ensemble cast? Well, it was quite a cast, but I found the performances strangely flat.

As for Ronin, all I heard about was how great the chase scene was. Found it dull. As for the rest, I finally found a Mr. Cranky review that I didn't read as tongue-in-cheek. Of course, he only gave it one bomb, which means he actually liked the movie, but that just makes the accuracy of his review more enigmatic.

Or maybe it's the heroin talking.

• The 20 phattest movies (in my view)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Agreed. While my new job and figuring out how I'm going to redesign this site have kept my participation to a minimum, I still try to keep an eye out.

jblack, no personal attacks please. I appreciate your positive contributions, and hope you continue to be as active in the site as you are now. But please try not to confuse attacking a person's opinion with attacking the person him/herself.

Of course, it's possible you know this person, which is a whole different ballgame (wouldn't be the first time I mistook friendly trash-talk for abuse here). I was going to remark on how similar this list is to this one (20 items, ordered descending, 15 overlapping, ALL CAPS throughout) , and you put a comment similar in tone there too. Coincidence?

• Movie quotes from real movies.IDENTIFY!!   14 years 7 weeks ago

1. 2001
    2. Chinatown
    3. This is Spinal Tap (?-not sure)
    ...
    6. Exorcist
    7. The shining
    8. The Deer Hunter (not sure again)

• 0013: Tom Hanks' Six Best Films   14 years 7 weeks ago

I'm wondering why Philadelphia is not on that list? Did you forget about it? If not offer up an explanation please.

• Movies on my "To Watch" List   14 years 7 weeks ago

Great list! I need to see several on here as well.

If you do make it to Cabaret (which I highly recommend), I will suggest that it will be well worth your time to rent the DVD of the film. Most video (and, oddly enough, television) prints I have seen of the film have bleed-out colors, cropped scenes, and horrible, horrible sound, which may not matter so much if the music and the colors in the frame were not so important to the film's overall effect.

Last Tango in Paris is a great film, but I will warn you that it is not very sexy in a traditional way. In fact, it really isn't very sexy all, but it is indeed partly about sex. A very depressing and moving film.

I'll comment on one more film. For any Bond fan, Dr. No is a unique delight. Being the first film in the series, it has little trace of the formula that controls the later films. It was rather low budget, and the film has an almost sort of lo fi sci fi vibe to it which is definitely missing in the future installments. Sean plays Bond much truer to the Bond of the books - colder, perhaps a bit more cruel. A fascinating look at what the series may have been had the more serious Dr. No and From Russia with Love set the formula rather than the breezier (yet fun) Goldfinger.

• 5 greatest horror films   14 years 7 weeks ago

Both films have their strengths and their weaknesses, but I also favor Alien in a battle between the two. The opening film creates a tense atmosphere of dread that all the slam-bang action of the second can't quite top. It's currently cooler to claim Aliens as the best of the bunch, but I'm sadly anything but cool.

• Movies with distractingly bad visual effects   14 years 7 weeks ago

I have not seen said movie yet, (and may not ever because of word-of-mouth, but thanks for the tip).

• The 20 phattest movies (in my view)   14 years 7 weeks ago

Anybody who thinks out of thousands and thousands of movie made in the history of cinema that THE BREAKFAST CLUB is in the top 20 has to be a jackass!!!

• THE 20 GREATEST MOTION PICTURES EVER!   14 years 7 weeks ago

Thats pretty impressive. But where is Rambo:First Blood Part II or Stargate or Eraser? Jesus, get a clue would ya'.! .

• Movies that Butcher History   14 years 8 weeks ago

Thanks for the information; I was unaware of U-505...hmmm, perhaps some more reading is in store for me on the subject...