• Need Help Testing a New Feature   15 years 17 weeks ago

While fiddling I was having some trouble trying to figure out exactly what the box should be doing. I'd assumed at first kinda like the little boxes in windows explorer in the tree where you can collapse and expand but it didn't seem to work like that.

• "most morose" albums   15 years 17 weeks ago

How about anything JOY DIVISION?

• Films: Little Seen Films I'd Recommend: 1990-1999   15 years 17 weeks ago

Can't recommend a movie I haven't seen, Jeff!

• Favorites: Rock Guitarists of the 70s, 80s, and 90s   15 years 17 weeks ago

What?!? No Peter Frampton???

• Film Review : 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY * * * *   15 years 17 weeks ago

Blackie, I hope you won't mind if I offer some alternatives to some of the things you say in your paragraph that begins, "The story is this".

First, the monolith found on the Moon isn't at the Moon's core, it's about 20ft below the surface of the crater Tycho. Secondly, the men who investigate the monolith aren't killed, they are simply deafened through their spacesuit radios by a strong radio signal the monolith sends in the direction of Jupiter. Thirdly, it is strongly hinted (in the marvellous scene in which Bowman shuts down HAL's brain) that HAL's breakdown was caused by a logical conflict in his programming, having to do with the secrecy he must maintain about the mission's goals.

Glad to see you review this film, which I, and many others, consider to be one of the great landmarks in cinema history.

• Worst Rock Bands with Numeric Names   15 years 17 weeks ago

Well, I would suggest taking a listen of their 'Horrorscope' album, which showcases their versatility quite well, in a broad range of rock styles, though their self-titled debut also has some high points such as 'Leech', which gives a good 70s-nostalgia to me when i listen to it..I'm just simply flattered that you're asking me for a recommendation!

• new books i've just bought at my bookstore (where i work)   15 years 17 weeks ago

Hey Baby,
    Even though I'm being a horrible horrible bad bad friend, I still think of you often, and often compose the first page of letters to you, then never send them. Perhaps I'll send one soon?
    Love and beavers,
    Jen

• Favorite Guilty Pleasures   15 years 18 weeks ago

Touche!

Johnny Waco

• The Best Courtroom Dramas   15 years 18 weeks ago

Haven't seen Nuremburg, but 12 Angry Men does belong. Thanks for the suggestion...

Johnny Waco

• Films I Couldn't Finish   15 years 18 weeks ago

I'm afraid I didn't, but if it's that great, I'd rather have a friend dub just that scene so I could watch it on its own!

Johnny Waco (who was suspicious of all the Star Wars hype anyway)

• Where do you do most of your reading?   15 years 18 weeks ago

Done. And thanks for the suggestion. :)

• Comedies I Own on Video   15 years 18 weeks ago

No hurry Jim; I'm in the midst of writing papers at the moment anyway, so Wanda may be racking up a few late fees before I get to it!

Johnny Waco

• Favorite Silent Films   15 years 18 weeks ago

Yikes! I knew I'd miss something, and Metropolis was it. I'll add it post-haste. I also kept second guessing whether or not All Quiet was sound or silent because it had been several years since I saw it, and only images from it came to mind, not words. You guessed it: I used AllMovie guide to confirm the truth...

Johnny Waco

• Another Character Game....thanks to whomever thought this idea up.   15 years 18 weeks ago

Hi..
    No. 30 hint. Frank Morgan was a great character actor. He was the wizard in Wizard of Oz... so Hunk Andrews (a guess) was Bert Larr, a farm hand in same as well as the Cowardly Lion.

• Worst Rock Bands with Numeric Names   15 years 18 weeks ago

This comment surprises me quite a bit, as I found Horrorscope to be anything but versatile. In fact, it sounds exactly like much of what is already Modern Rock fodder, and hardly different from the band's earlier album. Is there really much difference between, say, Third Eye Blind and Eve 6? Bands of this nature are why they stopped calling most of these stations Alternative Rock and went instead for the Modern Rock label. This music isn't alternative. In fact, it is the rock mainstream.

My vote, Johnny, is certainly to leave Eve 6 up there.

• 0002: The 12 Greatest Pre-20th Century Novelists   15 years 18 weeks ago

I considered both. George Eliot will surely make my runner-up list. I'm not sure about Thackeray; Vanity Fair certainly makes a good case for the author, but I'm not sure that the rest of his work supports his appearance here.

• 0002. 10 (or more) Over-Rated Films   15 years 18 weeks ago

No, I did not know that.

Next question: was he ever photographed wearing that suit?

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 18 weeks ago

<homer> Mmmmm... Box set.... </homer>

• Favorite Guilty Pleasures   15 years 18 weeks ago

Well, even if I didn't have a daughter, I'd probably still like Elmo in Grouchland (without nearly enough guilt), so don't feel bad.

• Comedies I Own on Video   15 years 18 weeks ago

Cool! Given how Paul Newman is my all-time favorite actor, watching The Verdict is long-overdue. It will be one of the next three movies I rent (that was the deal, right?). I'll have to watch The Sweet Hereafter alone, as my wife has no need to be that depressed. :-)

Thanks!

• Wish I Appreciated These   15 years 18 weeks ago

Thanks! So far, of these, Meet the Parent is the one I feel least bad about not appreciating (if that makes any sense), but it's still good to know I'm not alone. For most of the other movies here, I feel like I should give them another shot one of these days (well, except Smoke).

• Favorite Silent Films   15 years 18 weeks ago

You're hurting my feelings here, Johnny. Wings, but no Metropolis?

I'm going to cry.

And not to be too picky, but despite what the All Movie Guide claims, All Quiet on the Western Front is one of the earliest sound films, not a true silent at all (unless you are thinking a version older than the 1930 which I don't know about, which is always possible).

L. Bangs (nursing his wounds...) :)

• Series I'd Buy on DVD *   15 years 18 weeks ago

A little tidbit I copied from thedigitalbits.com today:

"Fox has the first boxed sets of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and The Simpsons coming for later this year here in Region 1."

Reasons for joy from both Jim and Johnny Waco (as soon as Mr. Waco gets a DVD player, that is).

L. Banngs

• 0027: 20 Great Rock Compilations   15 years 18 weeks ago

There - there are 15. I'll have to think a bit before I can expand it too much further.

• Films I Couldn't Finish   15 years 18 weeks ago

TPM is definitely the worst of the Star Wars movies, but did you stick it out long enough for the lightsaber duel? It was arguably the best fight scene of the series.