• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 8 weeks ago

A few more possiblities...

Prince - Sign O' the Times
    Bruce Cockburn - Call It Democracy
    Randy Stonehill - Hell Burn Hot Enough
    Bob Dylan - Gee, pick one
    Elvis Costello - Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)

• Resonant Movies, Tier One   14 years 8 weeks ago

I'd like to nominate Peter Weir's "Fearless". From it's dreamlike opening, to its joyess realization of the beauty of life at the end, I find that just the decision to pop that tape in takes me to another place.

• I've recently become surprised that The Listology   14 years 8 weeks ago

Actually, you can click on the "read older news" link at the bottom of the homepage. If you click on it enough, you'll go all the way back to when I adopted this format.

Looking forward to the new lists!

• Writers I'd Most Like To Meet (Living and Dead)   14 years 8 weeks ago

Just had to ask given the other authors you have listed. I like the fiction better, but have read the non-fiction as well. It just tends to get repetitive after awhile. I almost met him once...

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 9 weeks ago

the Hamilton books are a big huge grand sweeping space opera. Three books but parts 1 & 2 were published as two paperbacks each. I personally loved them. (He's got another series out as well that are more of a future mystery series).

• Writers I'd Most Like To Meet (Living and Dead)   14 years 9 weeks ago

I love RAW's work immensely. I've read nearly all of his books. I do like is non-fiction a whole lot better than his fiction though.

I would have added him to my list but I've already met him several times.

• Books I Read in 2000   14 years 9 weeks ago

I've heard nothing but great things about Vinge's two novels and they are highly recommended by Alexlit (and I have the one you mentioned). Haven't heard too much about the Hamilton series but Alexlit says that I'll give it a Really Good which is the 3rd highest rating. I do recognise the name, I'll have to keep an eye out when I'm book shoping.

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

Since you like John Mellencamp, may I humbly suggest his original version of Love and Happiness, one of the greatest protest songs in the last few decades?

• 0022: The 100 Best Rock Albums (11-20)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Hmmm. I don't remember believing that song was out of place. Let me listen to it again tonight or tomorrow, and I'll hopefully have something more intelligent to say.

• Movies That Well Illustrate Action/Suspense Plot Number One   14 years 9 weeks ago

Definitely (on Hannibal Lecter).

Hollow Man is basically a reinterpretation of H.G. Wells The Invisible Man, from what I hear. And also the ultimate stalker movie (what if your stalker could get into your house without being seen?). It's not actually a great movie, from what I hear, but it does fit into the list.

Actually, I was pleased to see in the previews, that some of the victims appear to actually approach their problem intelligently, but trying to make him (temporarily) visible - they show people throwing mud on him, and turning on the sprinklers so they can see the water outline around him. So unusual for a horror movie, where the victims are idiotic about trying to save themselves.

I think I must go see it, even if it's not great.

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

hmmm....interesting addition...I'll have to pull out that CD and listen to the song again. I think Mellencamp himself could probably have several songs on the list. "Now more than ever," "Authority Song" and "Case 795" all come to mind.

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

"We are the World"...nice edition...Of course, I must confess I preferred the European one "Do They Know It's Christmas?" I'll have to ponder the whole Billy Joel one...I adore the song, and am listening to it right now. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Sorry, no hucksterism intended. I have now written 91 of these write-ups, and I must admit, it takes a bit out of me. As I approach the top albums, I feel a bit intimidated attempting to praise each disc appropriately. I wrote up number eight yesterday and ended up deleting it before I posted. It wasn't good enough, and it didn't quite capture what made the album truly great. Sometimes, I wish I had just posted a straight list without write-ups. All in all, however, I'm glad I chose to include them, despite the trouble they present.

Thanks for the compliments; hopefully, I'll have a few more up before too long. That Elvis one was my longest yet, and it was somewhat exhausting. I am both dreading and anticipating tackling the remainder!

• 0014: Akira Kurosawa's Five Best Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

And I no doubt owe The Seven Samurai another viewing soon!

Akira was truly one of the masters, and it is too bad that he is often left off of many of the greatest directors lists I have seen lately.

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 9 weeks ago

You are such a tease. Here your "10-1" list finally appears, and it only has #9 and #10 on it! You should write a serial. Folks would wait by the docks. :)

• Read Quickly While Recovering from Various Physical Maladies   14 years 9 weeks ago

Sorry to hear about the maladies. But what did you think of Drowned Hopes? Was that your first Dortmunder book, or are you a fan?

• 0014: Akira Kurosawa's Five Best Films   14 years 9 weeks ago

Yes indeed. What a career! I recently rewatched The Seven Samaurai and was blown away again. Definitely an all-time favorite. Based on that, I probably owe Rashoman a rewatch as well.

• 0016: Films to Scare Yourself Silly With (AKA Great Horror Films)   14 years 9 weeks ago

I admit it has been many moons since I have watched this film, but it just didn't scare me or strike me as quite as impressive as the films above. Perhaps you can convince me to review it?

• Writers I'd Most Like To Meet (Living and Dead)   14 years 9 weeks ago

Have you read the Illuminatus trilogy by Robert Wilson & Robert Shea?

• films i'm avoiding for one reason or another   14 years 9 weeks ago

Maybe it's just that I had such low expectations going in, but I actually liked Coyote Ugly. Not one to add to my list of favorite movies though.

How about Arachnophobia? Despite the comedic elements (like John Goodman), I found it very scary (attested to by the deep fingernail marks on my date's arm afterwards).

• Children's Books that Everyone Should Read   14 years 9 weeks ago

Another strong vote for The Narnia Chronicles. I reread those all the time . . . I've also read the Lord of the Rings, but I certainly don't think of that series as children's books. I also recommend From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon trilogy (though those would not qualify as "classics").

• My favorite Songs with a Social Conscience!   14 years 9 weeks ago

Easy one - how about "We are the World"? I also recall one about the Sun City resort in Africa - "We Won't Play Sun City", perhaps?

On an odder note, what about Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"? Sort of has a social conscience to it, but a shared one - to me, it says that no generation itself is responsible for upheaval - it's part and parcel on the shoulders of those who came before.

OK - disclaimer, I have not actually seen this - but from the trailers, I'm thinking the new Kevin Bacon movie, Hollow Man, will fit into this list (though I have no idea about the "there remains some doubt as to whether the monster is truly defeated" part.)

Which actually brings up an interesting point, is it possible for the "monster" to just be another human?

• life-sucking actors/performances   14 years 9 weeks ago

He was, and sure, it was certainly no great stretch. He is a very questionable leading man. I've yet to see him completely pull it off, although I do think The Matrix managed to work his weaknesses into his character; as a result, I didn't mind him in that film, although he certainly didn't have me reaching for my Oscar ballot!