• Favorite Female Singers   13 years 43 weeks ago

Have you heard of a R&B / Soul singer named Aretha Franklin? She's pretty good...

;)

I have to throw in a vote for Billie Holiday as well.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   13 years 43 weeks ago

Rip Torn. He is always a welcome surprise in a movie, as he rarely receives a credit in the trailers for a movie.
    He just has that rough pirate thing going on, (made perfect in Summer Rental)which I think we all enjoy from our childhood.

• Favorite Female Singers   13 years 43 weeks ago

have you heard sarah slean at all? at first i thought she was a little too much like tori, but now i like her *more* than i do tori--if you can believe that. check her out if you haven't already and/or let me know what your thoughts are.

• Favorite Male Singers   13 years 43 weeks ago

hey there. just thought i'd stop by and direct you to my new list. (i have a feeling you may be the only listology person who can help me develop it!)

• Favorite 20th Century Authors   13 years 43 weeks ago

Again, wow! I also am a bit of a Beuchner fan. Godric almost won the Pulitizer, and Wishful Thinking should be required reading for any person of faith. Raymond Carver's short stories are excellent, but I haven't warmed to Galway Kinell the way many have. I also like Hemingway, although I greatly prefer his short stories to his novels.

• My CD Collection includes   13 years 43 weeks ago

Wow! I most certainly didn't expect to see them pop up on this site, but I also enjoy Poor Old Lu's Sin CD. Too bad the band broke up before they could blossom further. I felt Eighth Wonder was a bit less focused than Sin, but my, Sin was impressive.

• CC00018: U2   13 years 43 weeks ago

I didn't count Passengers because Eno's contribution was obviously enough that I can not claim it to be a true U2 album. It's a U2 and Eno album. There is also a significantly less amount of criticism available on the Passengers' album than on the U2 proper albums. Spin-offs and solo projects are a tricky line to draw on these CCs, but that's where I decided to put it. Perhaps The Passengers will get their own entry at some point.

From my research, I gather the Passengers' album would have ranked between 6 and a 7, with a slight edge (no pun intended) to the 7. Most critics loved certain songs (especially Ms. Saravajo) but felt some of the ambient pieces were a bit too vague to be as effective as they should be. Overall, the reviews were positive but not glowing.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   13 years 43 weeks ago

Great idea for a list! Might I suggest, for a deaf theme, Children of a Lesser God. Marlee Matlin is simply amazing. She actually is deaf, though, so you can't really judge her performance on how convincingly she played the disability. Another is Mask, with Eric Stoltz (again) and Cher, both of whom nail their respective roles. This movie also has Laura Dern playing a blind girl, quite convincingly I thought. Of your list, I've only seen half (2,3,4). However, I will try to check out the others - am particularly looking forward to Hell Roller.

• Favorite Movies with a Disability Focus/Storyline   13 years 43 weeks ago

and let's not forget What's Eating Gilbert Grape? it was the best role leo dicaprio ever played!

• CC00018: U2   13 years 43 weeks ago

I'm curious about the Passengers CD. Are you not counting that one because it's a soundtrack compilation? It has some great tunes on it. IMHO, it deserves at least an 8.

• Greatest Supporting Actors   13 years 43 weeks ago

I am happy to see a female included on your actors list. I always feel that actors are people to take seriously, while actresses are women who are known more because they are beautiful women than because they can act.

• Some I tried to read but haven't, yet, finished   13 years 43 weeks ago

I think I have slowly, but surely, climbed my way out of this valley I call a "reading rut". I went to the library and checked out a few books (mostly psych and mythology) and I went to Half-Price and bought a few books (not that I don't have enough to read right now). I'm back to my old self again.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 43 weeks ago

52 is "The Autumn of the Patriach" by Gabrile Garcia Marquez - one of my favourites

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 43 weeks ago

Correct! 36 is Haroun and the Sea of Stories, by Salman Rushdie. Great job!

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 43 weeks ago

I'm going to hazard a guess at no 50 being by George Orwell, Keep the Apisditra Flying, posibly.

• Great Opening Lines - A Challenge List - VOLUME TWO   13 years 43 weeks ago

If 36 is a childrens story then it 's almost certainly Haroum and the Sea of Stories, is it not?

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Works for me! However, I do think you can link directly. You're using IE, right? Just right-click on the MIDI-link of choice, and click on "Copy Shortcut", and then you can paste the resulting URL for use in your link.

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Ah! Jim, I knew you'd find the easy way for me. Don't have time right now to make the adjustments. Very glad to be able to share this list with you (when you say "Works for me!" you mean, I take it, that you've solved your little sound problem and you're hearing the music?)

• Some Of My Favorite Classical Pieces (With Sound)   13 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear your computer's mute - I was looking forward to your comments (still am). I discovered the MIDI sites by accident: just clicked on an innocuous looking link and there I was. I hope to add many more items to the list, but it's a slow process. I have to audition each file because some of them, frankly, are, shall we say, less than aesthetically pleasing.

• To Read, and in my Possession   13 years 44 weeks ago

No, I haven't heard of that one. Though, I'm not really big on Beowolf - I like the classic Grimm's. Beauty by Sheri Tepper was fun, combined all the best known ones into one.

• Movies I'd REALLY REALLY like to talk about with someone   13 years 44 weeks ago

Ah, I remember G3...

• Favorite songs and their performers (non-stage and non-instrumental)   13 years 44 weeks ago

Great list! Nice to see the Cooke song included; I picked up his The Man and His Music a few years ago and have been a fan ever since.. Have you heard Otis Redding's version of the song on Otis Blue? Another fine rendition (and album, for that matter).

• favorite actresses   13 years 44 weeks ago

I think that's rather bizarre myself, and thanks for the tip!

• Overrated Movies - the first installment   13 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks! I haven't included any personal information because I do not wish to bore everyone to tears. Perhaps I'll add some information soon; surely at least age and gender wouldn't hurt!

• Favorite Directors' Movies I Like the Most   13 years 44 weeks ago

"Ruin" is too strong a word, although I haven't seen it yet. Fortunately, I tend to enjoy the travellin' as much as the arrivin'. :) Still, I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of cloaking a portion of your post. For future reference, here's The Listology's spoiler policy. I must say, even with the spoiler, I enjoyed your comments. I am more eager to see it than ever.