• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   14 years 11 weeks ago

The Naked Gun - taken from Police Squad!

The only instance I know of where a successful film was made from a failed (yet funny) television series. The TV show only ran for 6 episodes, I believe.

Boy, I'd love to have heard the pitch for that one... "It's a televison show that bombed, but we want to sink millions into and make a movie!"

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 11 weeks ago

Just a stab in the dark... is 18 from Brisco County Junior?

• Best Recent Animated Film   14 years 11 weeks ago

So, Nathanial's sister is getting into the act. Good to have you aboard and its a great poll.

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 11 weeks ago

Maybe one day, the Listology book club book of the month will be featured on Amazon.com's homepage... :)

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 11 weeks ago

That seems like a very good system to do things, Jim. Thanks for your input.

• (Un)Popularity of Book Genre?   14 years 11 weeks ago

Thanks to sebreg for getting the ball rolling. I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow up on this thread, as I'm travelling from conference to conference at this moment.

• 0026: DVDs I Own   14 years 11 weeks ago

Within your collection are some of the greates movies ever made. Those of which I have printed reviews on. If you have read those reviews, do you think there accurate in your assesment of the films? I have a review of Apocalypse Now coming soon. You have good taste bangsorama!

• Best Movie Spawned from a TV Series?   14 years 11 weeks ago

I was thinking of that Tom Hanks, Dan Akroyd version, which is the only one I've seen.

I don't know if I'd count Galaxy Quest. I was thinking movies directly based off of a series, though I guess Galaxy Quest is so similar to Star Trek that it might as well be.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 11 weeks ago

Any opinions!? There were many parts of that series that conjured up incredible visuals for me.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 11 weeks ago

but of course :)

• Music: To Hear   14 years 11 weeks ago

GBV is coming to Dallas April 13th. Thats the closest they will come to me. I'll be there though, you can count on it.

• Death to the Laugh Track!   14 years 11 weeks ago

Jim, did you end up watching The Job! I missed it but will check it out next time around if anyone can give it a thumbs-up.

• Best of Orson Scott Card   14 years 11 weeks ago

Speaking of Famous Sci-Fi Series (and completely off topic BTW) has anyone read all 4 books of Dan Simmons' Hyperion tetrology?

• Book-A-Minute SF/F   14 years 11 weeks ago

I think the funniest condensations for me are the titles I've read yet it's been just long enough that I sort of remember what they were about but can't really remember most of the plot points. I'm still trying to figure out why they make me laugh out loud! :-) That's rare for me.

• Great Films By James Cameron   14 years 11 weeks ago

While not really a straight remake, True Lies certainly took a lot from the French comedy La Totale.

• Music: To Hear   14 years 11 weeks ago

GBV comes to Columbus quite a bit!

• Music: To Hear   14 years 11 weeks ago

Well, I did live in Ohio until February 13th. Now I live in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. I need to get my name on the mailing lists of some good bands and see if anyone comes through this area.

• GAME0004: Name the Movie (Weird Actor Pairings)   14 years 11 weeks ago

2 Points, Thanks!

• GAME0004: Name the Movie (Weird Actor Pairings)   14 years 11 weeks ago

1 Point, Thanks, Bertie!

• Great Films By James Cameron   14 years 11 weeks ago

I didn't know True Lies was based on a French movie; can you tell me what it was called?

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 11 weeks ago

006. Wrong Actor, Correct Show
    015. Correct Actor, Wrong Show (But Close)
    028. Wrong Actor, Wrong Show

2 Points!

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 11 weeks ago

3 Points!

• GAME0003: Name The Series TV Character   14 years 11 weeks ago

Yep! Good Job!

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 11 weeks ago

Not as many as you might guess. I probably own around 300-400 records / cds currently. While attending college in the early 90s, I worked on several newspapers as a film / music reviewer and as a dj at several radio stations. As a result, I amassed a huge collection, well into the thousands, largely for free. I also spent quite a bit of time listening to albums at the radio stations' listening rooms. In the mid-90s, however, a move and dire finances forced me to sell off my entire collection, down to the last disc. This was extremely painful, as you may well guess. Luckily, my financial situation is a bit better now, and I have been slowly buying back my favorites (though I refuse to purchase Astral Weeks again until a decent remastering is done).

It is a sob story, but it hopefully is looking to have a happy ending.

• 0023: The 100 Best Rock Albums (10-1)   14 years 11 weeks ago

I'm kinda curious lbangs. How many records/cds do you own????