• Best Coldplay songs   3 weeks 4 days ago

If those are from the album with Yellow, Ive heard them, but it would still be almost like I haven't because its been so long. Maybe Ill revisit it some rainy day.

• Best Coldplay songs   3 weeks 4 days ago

It took me forever to figure out what Yellow's chords sound like. Pavement's "Here".

• Best Coldplay songs   3 weeks 4 days ago

Yeah, those four tracks are probably their best (I need to update this list). I'm also quite fond of Don't Panic. That's probably as good a top 5 as any.
    BTW, you might get a kick out of their earlier, rawer stuff. Bigger Stronger and Such a Rush are their most obviously Radiohead-inspired tracks, quite different from pretty much everything else they would go on to do.

• Best Coldplay songs   3 weeks 4 days ago

Yeah, Clocks, The Scientist and Yellow weren't bad. I remember liking Politik a lot back then. Clocks probably holds up the best.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 4 days ago

Yep, at this point in time, it seems to me like the masterpiece of superhero movies. I wrote the above "review" in haste and from my cell phone. I wrote a more polished little review here: http://letterboxd.com/afterhours/film/batman-returns/

Letterboxd is a site a drop in on now and then...

• Best Coldplay songs   3 weeks 5 days ago

Probably XD Any particular songs you remember liking from their first two albums? I think a selection of their best tracks, if well-sequenced for maximum momentum, could make for a 7/10 album.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 5 days ago

Ah, I knew I'd forgotten something! Haven't returned to Batman Returns in a long time, but I seem to remember it kicking a lot of ass. Then again, I also thought Batman and Robin kicked ass when I was a child, probably because the Iceman was so damn cool.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 5 days ago

Count me in :-) At least for Batman Returns (seems to clearly be the most extraordinary of any of the series')

I'm undecided on if Burton's first Batman is better than Nolan's ones, but I wouldn't put it past it.

Which do you prefer: Burton's first or Batman Returns?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 5 days ago

I thought I was the only one in the world that liked Batman and Batman Returns better than the Nolan movies!

• Best Coldplay songs   3 weeks 5 days ago

It is a solid album. It would be great if it surprised me and catapulted back into my top 20, though considering my criteria, it obviously wouldn't happen. I should've posted that as an update on April Fools Day :)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   3 weeks 6 days ago

Update: Seems to me now that Batman Returns is clearly the best Batman film, and probably the best superhero film, though that's also because it separates itself so divisively from the genre's tropes, so maybe its an unfair comparison.

• Only Portuguese Music Worth Listening To   4 weeks 17 hours ago

Mão Morta are pretty great too, maybe even better if like me you happen to enjoy Birthday Party-like noise punk. Check out their debut.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 weeks 19 hours ago

Nope, doubt you missed something -- superhero films are consistently mediocre or bad. I'd be surprised if there's anything better to offer than the two Dark Knights and Burton's first. Ill have to give Burton's Batman Returns a revisit at some point too. Haven't seen it in over a decade.

• Only Portuguese Music Worth Listening To   4 weeks 23 hours ago

Regardless of classification, those two songs are awesome. I might just check out the whole album (and the EP).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 weeks 23 hours ago

Batman Begins is pretty good, probably 6.5 or 7 as well. You're right about the "operatic" scope. Tim Burton's film is excellent, completely agree with your assessment of it. Seems to me as far as superhero films go, Batman got the best treatment...unless I missed something?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 weeks 1 day ago

I think it's very good. I'd probably rate Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises 7/10 (undecided about which one is better ... I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises since its theatrical release). I haven't seen Batman Begins in it's entirety which I'll probably rectify soon. I like what I've seen of it. ... In the latter two, although there are many leaps of logic and head scratching decisions by the characters, it can generally be forgiven because the direction is so assured and the emotions and scope so operatic that it's hard not to at least be impressed by the commanding vision and its control of tone and overall arc and presentation. One could also claim that, being a superhero film, one should leave some logic at the door anyway. I find Nolan's sense of stately montages (where he often alternates between different planes of action/character's viewpoints and builds a sense of suspense or collective emotional release) to often be close to stirring.

Although exuding a completely different tone and vision, and driven by totally different techniques and visual sense, I think Burton's first Batman (1989) may be better (at least in some ways), though it's simultaneously uneven and clumsy in parts -- though even these might be said to have a certain endearing folly to them, mirroring the strangeness, satire, and the post-apocalyptic environment presented. I just revisited it earlier this week and am undecided on its rating, though I'd estimate 6.5/10 at this time. The last half of it, and especially the finale (nodding to both Blade Runner and Vertigo simultaneously) urges me to consider an upgrade. Hard to shake those visuals and the promise of just how great it could've been with more assured direction. Wish Orson Welles would've directed it.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 weeks 1 day ago

What do you think of Nolan's Batman trilogy?

• Best Coldplay songs   4 weeks 1 day ago

You've come a long way :P Then again, it's a decent album, worth about 6/10 at least. Far from top 20 material but it's a nice listen for some well-crafted pop-rock that manages to be far more convincing than most other mediocre entries in the genre. Of course, Coldplay themselves declined after the album. A handful of the tracks might be worth revisiting for you.

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   4 weeks 2 days ago

Movies with two or more of the ten latest actors to die:

Moulin Rouge (1952) Theodore Bikel/Colette Marchand
    The Sandwich Man (1966) Frank Finlay/Ron Moody
    Che! (1969) - Robert Loggia/Omar Sharif

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   4 weeks 2 days ago

Good question. Its not a particularly "personal" experience for me. It's more the constantly shape-shifting environments/scenes, the chaotic expressionist theatre of it all. If it were visualized it would probably look a lot like a cross between Murnau's Faust, the more chaotic, explosive sequences of Gilliam's Brazil, and move quite a bit like frantic montages of Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin and/or the bookending battles of Peckinpah's Wild Bunch. If one gets in tune with its relentless, anarchic, crazed figures violently traversing its rapidly shifting environments/spectacles, it can be quite overwhelming. If I re-listen to it soon I may go into more detail.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   4 weeks 2 days ago

What do you find particularly fascinating about Lullaby Land? I think it's good but lacks enough ideas for 21 songs. I listened to 3 other Vampire Rodents albums and they sound quite similar to Lullaby Land and have the same problem. Their music is good but to be honest it sounds primitive (both composition and sound) compared to lots of experimental hip hop albums that came before and after it. Am I missing some great ideas/innovations/techniques or is the rating high mainly because of your personal emotional connection to the album?

• Oscar nominees by date of death - all categories   4 weeks 3 days ago

interesting stuff to be share about... thanks for sharing... kudos

• Best Coldplay songs   4 weeks 4 days ago

Believe it or not, their A Rush of Blood to the Head album was actually in my top 20 or so (of all time! Rock albums only) back in late 2002 for a few weeks before it had drastically diminishing returns and I lost interest in it. Of course, that was well before I'd discovered many of the current crop of Rock masterpieces from Scaruffi's lists and so forth, but it's still kind of amusing to reminisce on such things.

• The Most Iconic Fictional Characters of All Time   4 weeks 6 days ago

Odysseus, Zeus, Adam, Satan.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   4 weeks 6 days ago

Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman's Rhythm Fantasies (2005) is -sorta- like an acoustic Confield.