• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 1 day ago

Thank you, I probably will during this run through hip hop.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 1 day ago

I don't know why, my time is dry; the cuppeth runneth over, where is my four leaf clover?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 1 day ago

You need to revisit Yeezus asap, AH.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 1 day ago

Each day just goes so fast; you turn around, it's past ;)

• The Hip Hop Phase   1 week 1 day ago

Superb list. What do you think of Snoop's Doggystyle and Fugees The Score? And Straight Outta Compton?

Also, though Dalek might not be what you'd be into right now, they just might be -- overall -- the most extraordinary hip hop artists of all time.

Also, I checked out some tracks on Cannibal Ox's long awaited follow up to Cold Vein, Blade of Ronin (2015) and it seemed to be well worth listening to.

Kendrick Lamar's "untitled.unmastered" (from an interesting stew of leftovers off To Pimp a Butterfly) also seems like it has potential (based on one listen).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 1 day ago

Re: standouts ... Not sure yet. Offhand, I don't know which song titles are which tracks yet, but I remember thinking it had some that might be worth considering for my hip hop list. I'll start being more attentive to that as I listen to it more.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 1 day ago

Late Reg vs MBDTF and CD: Its a great transition between the two. It gives a glimpse into the epic stateliness of the latter, and is a bit more professional and less spontaneous seeming than College Dropout while still basing itself in similar themes/concept. Though it is excellent, I feel it falls pretty well short of the consistency and emotional potency of either (fundamentally, has far less "soul" than CD and less epic build up to an overwhelming sense of "power" than Dark Fantasy, as well as less "soul").

Skits can either add to the brilliance of an album or detract from it (if they feel unnecessary or tedious. Just depends on if they are emotionally or conceptually significant and necessary.

3 Feet High: Its seemed a 7 the last 3 listens Ive given it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if sooner or later it boomeranged back to 7.3+. Its a great album no doubt, among the most original in hip hop. For now, I think its consistency isn't strong enough to rate that high -- it may spend a little bit too much time on its lesser material such as skits, that while generally funny and interesting, haven't held up well enough for me to justify its place among the most extraordinary albums of all time (7.3+). I may change my mind upon future listens!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 1 day ago

I just saw you listened to Late Registration. Standouts and how does it compare to The College Dropout/MBDTF? And, do you feel skits take away from the album's expressiveness, since they're not really musical?

Also, you lowered the rating of 3 Feet High: what made it initially deserve the 7.3 rating and what made it seem more underwhelming this time? I've been listening to it quite a bit in the past week and was really enjoying the cartooniness it had, and contrasting it with what was around at that time. Definitely one of the highlights of that time, more so that Straight Outta Compton and I'd even say The Chronic.

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs   1 week 1 day ago

Sweet! I can't wait! It's hard for me to classify if certain music is or isn't hip-hop (Portishead/trip-hop, Flying Lotus/instrumental-electronic-hip-hop), but I'd like to know where you stand with that. Songs from albums like Madvillainy or J Dilla's Donuts aren't necessarily good stand-alone, and work better when complementing the whole.

Yeah, to me, Ska Trek is the only song that even remotely resembles any hip-hop element. The album's way more reggae than rap. Maybe he made the connection because of the use of sampling.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 2 days ago

Will get back to you on the above as soon as I can. Life...

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 2 days ago

Without the 3 instrumentals, Paid in Full would basically be flawless. Regardless, it shifted the paradigm and deeply influenced everybody and changed hip hop as a whole. If you like it check out the first 3 tracks on Follow the Leader. That sequence is every bit as great and enjoyable as Paid in Full. The Coldcut remix of Paid in Full is a classic as well.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 3 days ago

Agreed that Illmatic is possibly superior ( certainly smoother). Speaking of great flows, I just revisited Paid in Full and it made a huge leap for me.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 3 days ago

I don't think the subject matter and atmosphere are the same thing as flow. I actually found the emo/beat poetry atmosphere intriguing but the flow (rhyme patterns, internal rhymes, compound rhymes,... ) was pretty basic. Compare the album to Illmatic (another poetic and emotional album) and you'll hear what I mean. Anyway, thanks again for introducing the album, I'll listen to it when I can give it proper attention. Right now I'm more interested in raps that have great flows too.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 3 days ago

Fair enough, though if imaginative and poetic lyrics are what matter to you I'm looking forward to what you think when you check him out more as he may be the greatest hip hop artist I've ever heard in that regard. On Personal Journals he often raps with a sense of restlessness/anxiety, as if he is troubled by his demons/his life, nervous as he is revealing himself. So I can understand if it's not the type of flow you're looking for.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 3 days ago

I just listened to a couple of the album's songs on youtube. It's not my kind of thing right now. His music is unique and poetic but he's not that great of a lyricist in terms of rhythm and flow. These days I'm mostly into rappers whose lyrics are both innovative and poetic: Biggie, Nas, Aesop Rock, Rakim... Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll get more into it later.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 3 days ago

Have you checked out Sage Francis? If not, Personal Journals is superb. Its intimate, poetic, lyrically and emotionally nuanced underground hip hop.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 4 days ago

That's right. It's a psychedelic masterpiece.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 4 days ago

The swagger and boasting of The Chronic is so absurdly confident (bordering on delusional) and with such conviction that it's infectious. I forgot just how awesome that album is before I revisited it a couple days ago.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   1 week 5 days ago

Upon another listen, Ready to Die fell off for me a little bit, but its still great. Much of the first side is superb. The first two songs are among the heights of flow and delivery from any rapper, anywhere. Rarely, if ever, has an MC sounded so simultaneously invigorated, hostile, smooth/chill, yet deeply hardened/struck by death and despair. His elocution of the lines is riveting and probably inimitable because it's his own tragic and violent experiences (and not just a front) that have shaped the pitch and nuances of his voice.

• Albums I've Burnt Out/Outgrown to Various Extents   1 week 5 days ago

I've heard a few people say that. It took me a while to get into, but then it was one of my favorites for more than a year. Juliana Hatfield is a great rock songwriter, and many of the songs on Hey Babe are intense, unique experiences. I just stopped connecting to it as much after a while. Lines such as "Repeat after me, 'The devil rocks my soul" started sounding more childish (which they were) and less inspired, and I got tired of the angst throughout the album. Nonetheless, I consider this list a place of honor, so that I could call my favorite albums the ones that I still listen to, and keep a history of the albums that have impacted me a lot in some way.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   1 week 5 days ago

Yes, though the emotional expression in the delivery, "how" the words/lines are said is much more important to me than the lyrics by themselves. Eminem at his best is among the greatest of all time to me because he vigorously tackles and passes through so many different emotional states, "acting out" himself from several points of view in the same song (Kill You for example). He is acting himself out from different media perspectives, from fans perspective, from his own perspective, satirizing and railing against each, turning each on itself in a continual conflict/revolving door about his life/who he really is. Its breathtaking, hilarious, great theatre, kind of frightening, worrisome, and sometimes a bit sad.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 6 days ago

Re: quality of melodies ... Agree, I was simply pointing out "without going into detail" the primary difference between the two, and what makes Dookie so much more exciting (to me at least)

Maybe I'll go into details about Revolver and break down a bit more why I think most of it is mediocre another time later this week, and also Delete Yourself -- why it's amazing.

• Best Upbeat & Optimistic Albums   1 week 6 days ago

Any idiot could play drums and guitars loudly; indeed, lots of idiots do just that. What makes Dookie stand out is the quality of melodies and memorability, something which Revolver has in even larger doses. Revolver does have exciting stuff too: She Said She Said and Tomorrow Never Knows have better drum performances than the entirety of Dookie, plus And Your Bird Can Sing is another good pop song that matches Green Day. And could Green Day come up with Eleanor Rugby, Love You To and I'm Only Sleeping? Delete Yourself is exhilarating but not really deep.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 6 days ago

To me Ticket to Ride stands out like crazy out of all their 1965 tunes. Such a unique, complete and innovative rock song. Might be my favorite song from 1965 together with The Byrds' Bells of Rhymney and Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone.

• Best Hip Hop Songs/Tracks of All Time   1 week 6 days ago

Do you pay any particular attention to the lyrics?