• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 11 hours ago

Ok cool, that makes sense, thank you for the clarification. Ys is an amazing work. One of the best -- if not the best -- albums of the 2000s/2010s.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 17 hours ago

Unexpected issues have arisen and I won't be doing an update until August 31. At that time the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 243 and 486, respectively.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 17 hours ago

Change made.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 18 hours ago

Please note that I have changed my username from tom_elce to te18. The new url for my list would be http://listology.com/te18/list/film-log-2015, although using the old link still works (dunno if that's a permanent thing).

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 1 day ago

I don't know if I could say anything about it improved. The way I rank/rate music is on a relative scale compared to other works, not an absolute scale, so a 9/10 just means I like the album more than 8.5/10s but less than 9.5/10s on average. Things just shift around all the time for me, and right now, I feel that its current position is where it should be.

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   2 weeks 2 days ago

Nice. How's this the first time I see a live album list on listology?

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

Okay, seriously, I'm really curious abou

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

Where is the rest of the comm

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks :-) I'll add those 3, and will peruse your list too.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 3 days ago

Because I'm a lazy person, and you know most of my top rock/pop picks - https://rateyourmusic.com/list/ascoldasice/favourite_electronic_albums_t...

Out of those albums, what I can imagine you'd like the most would be

Biopshere - Substrata
    Future Sound of London - Lifeforms
    Future Sound of London - Dead Cities

but any album on that list should at a minimum be enjoyable.

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thank you, Ill check it out! Bromst is tough to beat, so I wont be at all disappointed if its "merely" great :)

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 4 days ago

Too soon to judge. Let me just say that I found out about it yesterday, started listening to the deceptively poppy first track, and ended up listening to the whole album all the way through with no interruptions. It's that good.

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 5 days ago

Awesome, thank you for the heads up about Dan Deacon's latest! How does it compare to Bromst?

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 5 days ago

I was gonna mention Dälek, but I see you beat me to it. Negro Necro Nekros is a great album.

By the way, Brotherhood of the Bomb sounds really cool and ahead of its time, but is it actually worth listening to?

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 5 days ago

I think their latest double-album is one of their most compelling, though at times it has me wondering if it's a work of genius or just garbage. Exmilitary is pretty great too.

That's fair enough. I would say Kanye was more just jumping on a trend he saw everyone else doing and then acting like he's the original one. There are only a few tracks on Yeezus that sound directly influenced by DG (On Sight was probably what led me to make the connection).

I've heard of Saul Williams and BLACKIE listed as influences for Yeezus but I haven't heard either yet. I did recently find an album by Techno Animal (Brotherhood of the Bomb) that seems to predate the trend going right now by about a decade, which is pretty impressive. There's also the wonderful Dalek, who have been doing this sort of heavier industrial-type hip-hop since the 90s.

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 5 days ago

I heard a bunch of songs from Death Grips' first three albums. Superb band. The sound of Government Plates interested me the most. What's your favorite Death Grips album?

Given the history of Yeezus and the fact that it was not so minimal until they deleted a lot of parts and reduced many things at the last minute, it doesn't feel like Kanye West is ripping them off. The similarities are only significant on the first 3 tracks, two of which were produced by Daft Punk at some point. Moreover, both Yeezus and Death Grips are obviously influenced by a lot of past electronic music: Atari Teenage Riot, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Chicago House (in Yeezus' case) and many other things that I haven't even heard.I don't mind the Sex Pistols and the Clash being directly influenced by Ramones, and in the Yeezus/DG case, the influence is much weaker, and a lot of it could be accidental.

About the ego thing, I totally agree with you. I can't tolerate watching the guy for more than 5 minutes on youtube, even when he's being interviewed about Yeezus. The fucking guy can't stop throwing a tantrum every chance he gets. And I think that's exactly why Yeezus works. It's Kanye's fucked up psyche, the force that drives him mad, all there on the album. The ultimate album about ego by the most egotistical creature on the planet.

Death Grips was awesome and I'm going to check out Clippings and Run the Jewels and also Saul Williams and B L A C K I E (have you heard his stuff? they sound really fresh and challenging). This industrial-rap thing is sounds interesting. But Yeezus is a different story.

P.S. I'm watching the new Zane Lowe interview with Kanye. He has become much more tolerable since their last interview.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 5 days ago

The Color of Paradise gains a lot of its power from the fact that paradise is a place everybody wants to go to, a mythical place. Even if we are watching the movie alone, we are watching it with the intuition that it is something everybody wants to watch: art has an air of popularity to it. Its popularity encourages us to feel the emotions in a shared way, but it also provides the illusion that its greatness is undeniable and irrevocable. Horror and action films inherently imply that who the villain is should be obvious. Family films imply that the family is good, and what harms the family is bad. Color of Paradise denies the greatness of paradise, family, and society, but it isn't nihilistic. The greatness of these things is already self-evident: all art has left to say is that they are not great.

It is a rare movie that becomes a masterpiece in the last ten minutes. The artistic slow-motion shots of the river are out of place with the human mindset, which is fixed on the old man's using it as transportation, rather than on its beauty. It goes beyond normal movies that place the conflict in a paradise-like setting (for example Stalker) because the message is not just that the paradise is in ruins: it is that the mistake is in our not wanting it to be ruined, not that it became ruined. Color of Paradise is similar to Werckmeister Harmonies. The latter is "genre-aware" with regard to horror films and documentaries while the former is genre-aware with regard to family films and dramas. As the romance in Limelight is in letting go of the romance, the art is inf

• Taste of Cinema's 20 Overlooked 80s Thrillers That Are Worth Your Time   2 weeks 5 days ago

thanks will try some

• My Favorite Music   2 weeks 6 days ago

I just noticed your upgrade of Newsom's Ys. That's an album that, over the years, has spent many weeks bouncing between 9/10, 8.5/10 and 8/10 for me. What about it improved for you?

• The 300   2 weeks 6 days ago

After recently re-listening to Public Image Ltd's Metal Box, in addition to possibly upgrading it to 8/10, I'm going to have to give Drifters/Love is the Devil another go -- it just might be every bit as great (or at least close). For you, what makes Dirty Beaches' album so much better than Public Image Ltd's (seemingly its main influence).

• The 300   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks! Ill listen to it again soon and take that description into consideration.

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts!

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   2 weeks 6 days ago

I liked Nostalghia a lot and Mirror (along with Stalker and Sacrifice) is among the films I'm planning to watch soon, so yeah I'm excited :D

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks :) Ive considered checking out Spring Breakers!

Probably the closest older brother to Tree of Life is Tarkovsky's Mirror, which I strongly recommend checking out if you haven't already.