• Best books (that I've read)   1 week 1 day ago

I haven't read it in years, but I found Holden Caufield to be unbearable, though he did inspire me to drink scotch and soda.

• Favorite Movies   1 week 1 day ago

Yeah I've never seen him discuss rock either, but it's interesting insofar as his elitism isn't bound to the typical low/highbrow categories, so I doubt he'd dismiss it outright... Though his aversion to popular culture would probably lead to him dismissing anything on the radio. No idea what he'd go for, though.

• Best books (that I've read)   1 week 1 day ago

Cool to see Catcher in the Rye, I was thinking of asking you about your opinion on it, along with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Also, a recommendation (unless you've read it already): Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky.

• My Favorite Music   1 week 1 day ago

You'll love A Man Escaped. It's the definition of "pure".

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 1 day ago

Maybe you are not listening with an open mind or listen to someone like Howard Goodall or Ned Rorem who have more of a musical opinion of The Beatles than Scaruffi.

You tell a Velvet Underground fan that they were just a more abrasive and extreme version of what came before them they seem threatened that their band is not really that original as they thought. Many of the tunes on their debut album were actually influenced by other musicians for example "There She Goes Again" was a rip-off of Marvin Gaye "Hitch Hike".

That being said I can't believe anyone who listens to The Velvet Underground would think they were more complicated than The Beatles musically. The combination of the Beatles extended chordal knowledge, recording techniques and instrumentation far exceeds anything than The Velvet Underground. The Velvet Underground were not that kind of band and there is nothing wrong with it.

Is "Venus In Furs" a more innovative soundscape than "Tomorrow Never Knows" not really. I really can't think of anything that the Velvet Underground did that would approach the complicated songs forms on Sgt. Pepper or Abbey Road.

The end of the day The Beatles approach of their varied style of pop experimentation/songwriting was the key reason for many of the bands of various genres to form. Didn't John Cale say he used The Beatles as a barometer as how great he wanted the Velvet Underground to be?

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 1 day ago

Which version of Telepathic Surgery will you reevaluate? The original, or the one with bonus tracks?

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 1 day ago

I don't intend to carry it on much, if at all. If he disagrees then ... it is what it is ... it's not particularly important to me. I just suddenly couldn't believe there are people still claiming this. Maybe I just haven't paid attention for so long...

...

I have to say though, after assimilating so many of the most significant works of cinema, painting, rock, jazz and classical music, I can understand Scaruffi's exasperation towards the arguments/claims of their historical merit (if one is approaching it from an "emotional significance" and "advancing the art form"-type criteria) -- even if I would like to think I'd communicate my own disagreement differently given the same platform.

• My top 10 works of music of the 20th century   1 week 1 day ago

Nice! I agree with all of these in terms of their greatness/significance and wouldn't change the order much either!

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 1 day ago

Damn, I thought I'd never see any of these Beatles fans in one of the discussions again...but here we are.

• Favorite Movies   1 week 1 day ago

BTW, which rock albums do you think Carney would like? I've never seen him discuss rock music, except by lumping it into "pop" music. I wonder if he just hasn't explored rock music as much.

• Favorite movies   1 week 1 day ago

Okay, what's so great with North by Northwest?
    I enjoyed it but i don't think it's like the greatest movie ever as many people point out. I think it's a kind of spy movie with some interesting themes but I don't even consider it Hitchcock's best work.

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 1 day ago

To each his own I suppose. How anyone can listen to Tomorrow Never Knows/The Beatles and The Velvet Underground (particularly & Nico and White Light/White Heat) and, in paying attention to the sound/compositions, still consider Tomorrow Never Knows/The Beatles more innovative, is completely beyond me especially if one also compares it to the rest of the Rock/Pop landscape of the time. I mean, isn't it pretty obvious which artist broke the mold further? It doesn't mean you have to like one or the other more, but... it's kind of like claiming Vivaldi (who was quite important to Baroque music), was more so than Beethoven, to the history of classical music. Relatively speaking, the gap in innovation between the artists, is not too far off...

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 1 day ago

Well, in a way I get what Christgau means. Rock music is not just albums, the artist's performance carries on to the stage and many times to the off-stage. For some reason, as Christgau says, Lou Reed's posture resonates in a more genuine way than Jagger's. For the same reason, Dylan's many personas seem less shallow than Bowie's. I don't think I've ever shed a tear to a Stones' song, but I can't say the same for Bob Dylan. This inevitably has to do with these artists' traits, how they led their careers and chose to present themselves in public. Subconsciously, all of this comes into play when you're listening to the artist's music. I do feel the Rolling Stones' musical output has always been tinged by this fake posturing (afterall they're british lads pretending to be blues musicians). I'm not saying I'm against it, just that it's there and it affects the music.
    Woody Allen's and Polanski's legal troubles (like Townshend's pedophilia allegations) resulting in a drop of popularity has little to with what Christgau's saying because that was never a part of their act.
    Hitler is indeed an impossible case. I'm glad, though not surprised, no artistic genius ever came from that man.

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 1 day ago

There is more innovation on "Tomorrow Never Knows" than the whole of Velvet Underground recorded output IMO. Automatic Double Tracking, Backward guitar solo, pre-recorded sampled/loop tracks, vocal processing through a leslie speaker, no drum breaks to speak of etc were basically unheard of by other rock bands

The track is still ahead of its time. Alternative rock, EMD, psychedelic rock all can have a claim influence on those genres. What is really important is The Beatles differed from avant-garde artists is they created these soundscapes from those methods behind their songs rather than it be the performance itself.

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   1 week 1 day ago

Scaruffi doesn't have a clue his criticisms of Radiohead and The Beatles are especially laughable.

Compared to The Beatles their peers including The Rolling Stones who I love is just insane. The Beatles chordal knowledge far eclipse most of their peers at the time. Sgt. Pepper which probably kick started progressive is something he has no understanding of.

I am surprised that something like "Within You Within You" the brilliant combination of East meets West style instrumentation is something he does not appreciate. It is far more radical than anything on Pet Sounds or Freak Out. Lets be honest as a musician Paul McCartney is far better than anyone from The Beach Boys or The Rolling Stones.

• Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists   1 week 1 day ago

No Buckethead... haaaaaa. Worst list ever made. He is known for shredding, but the guy can play literally anything extremely well. No Doyle Dykes... wow. Eddie Hazel should easily be top 20... So should Trey Anastasio. David Gilmour is amazing... wtf. Django Reindhart... countless artists name him as one of their biggest influences... the guy had a crippled hand and could play better than 75% of the people on this list. Darrell Abott deserves to be on here somewhere. Tosin Abasi is absolutely incredible... even though his style is way out there, watching him destroy and 8 string is incredible. Erik Mongrain is an amazing player in his own right... I would love to see someone like him or Keller Williams on this list for ripping tap guitar.

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 2 days ago

Haven't heard them in a long time (apart from Abbey Road), but from what I remember:

1. The Beatles
    2. Abbey Road: best pop album ever?
    3. Sgt. Pepper: overhyped but fun as hell for what it is
    4. Magical Mystery Tour
    5. Revolver
    6. Rubber Soul
    7. A Hard Day's Night

Below this point, the albums get more and more inconsistent:
    8. Yellow Submarine (Side 1)
    9. Beatles for Sale: the originals are great. In fact, 1964 was a surprisingly consistent year for originals.
    10. Help!
    11. Let It Be: boring
    12. Please Please Me: some good stuff here, most Scaruffians underrate this album
    13. With The Beatles: seriously goes downhill after the first four tracks. Meet The Beatles is better.

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 2 days ago

I think it's nice to see people like you and Zacharyyy recognise how underrated For Sale is :D

Indeed, if one replaces all the covers with I Call Your Name, I Feel Fine and She's a Woman, it makes for an all-originals album which would be a worthy successor to A Hard Day's Night.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 2 days ago

Yeah, I really hate it when different releases of the same album get out of control like that. Fortunately, I own the "correct" ones!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 2 days ago

I've gone back and forth between 9/10 and 8.5/10 for years so I wouldn't be surprised if it returned to 9/10. Agreed on its singularity. Artists such as Gong (Flying Teapot album), Pink Floyd (Piper), Robert Wyatt (last half of Rock Bottom), the Residents own works, and Syd Barrets solo career, allude to the concepts, structures and emotions of Not Available but really nothing quite like it that Im aware of either.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 2 days ago

I've been underrating it for a long time. It is pretty much a singular composition in the history of music; at least, I have not heard anything that sounds even remotely close to it style-wise, even by the Residents themselves.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 2 days ago

Also, the Residents reissues are weird, because they keep messing with the mixes and adding/removing stuff for each re-release. For both MTR and NA, go with the original versions. For MTR, that is the longer, mono mix found on the original vinyl, the 1988 reissues, and the current CD issue. For NA, that is anything except the most recent CD reissue which added some new sections (I find the opening change baffling; it is clear to me that is was edited out for a reason. The additional section at the start of part 4 is great, but it and the other added instrumental sections at the end of part 3 kinda ruins the pacing.).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 2 days ago

Awesome! I'll be revisiting it soon! If it ever meets or tops the depth of emotional and stylistic dynamics and ritualistic breadth of the mono version of Meet the Residents, I'll be beside myself in awe. I should revisit Eskimo soon too (last listen a couple years ago it was just under 7.8+)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 2 days ago

I listened to Not Available yesterday for the first time in months and started crying halfway through. Wow.

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 week 2 days ago

There is plenty of filler on Frank Zappa "Freak Out" of Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde".

That being said it's the White Album and it's probably rock music most diverse album ranging from early metal, ska, progressive rock, sound collage, folk, country, hard rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock, classical, Disney, funk, avant garde and 50's style rock and roll.