• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Maybe... :) I find most Hitchcock films more emotionally/psychologically revealing, "perverse games" between the director and his actors/audience than being particularly haunting/nightmarish -- albeit that in itself is, to a degree, "haunting/nightmarish" ... (and it doesn't mean many of them don't have their moments. The Birds, as you mentioned, being a very good example).

But really, I need to revise this list. Inland Empire and Eraserhead are probably 1 and 2 (though I do need to rewatch Inland Empire), but after that, it's a bit of a free for all.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Yep :) I'm not sure what I think of it yet, and I haven't decided on the rating. As I type I am revisiting Loveless, then I'll revisit Tremelo and rate it -- maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow

• Most Haunting/Nightmarish Films (mid-revision)   2 weeks 4 days ago

The Birds!

Hey, you finally listened to Tremolo! Cool :P

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   2 weeks 5 days ago

No, I didn't know that. Thank you, I don't believe I've read any of his insights into Piero yet, or Carravaggio.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   2 weeks 5 days ago

Yea, the potential... kind of similar to Mozart dying so young. Also, Michelangelo studied those works in preparation for the Sistine Chapel, and it shows.

• Media Log 2014   2 weeks 5 days ago

Not sure, maybe Malick's Badlands or Peckinpah's Ballad of Cable Hogue. Also Altman's McCabe and Mrs Miller might be a good bet (though that's very possibly reserved as Songs of Leonard Cohen's equiv) ... Jarmuch's Dead Man? ... Wenders' Paris Texas? ... Bogdanovich's Last Picture Show ... each of those have elements ... it's also possible it's a film I haven't seen yet -- providing any "equivalents" exist for that one in the first place.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   2 weeks 5 days ago

If you love the art of Piero i heartily suggest you to buy "Piero della Francesca" a volume written by the great Roberto Longhi, the most eminent critic of the last century.
    Roberto Longhi was not only an art critic but a poet. Do you know that he rediscovered Caravaggio after the centuries of neglect?

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   2 weeks 5 days ago

Yeah, it's interesting to notice the dichomoty between Masaccio's fantastic sense of perspective and the volume of his bodies against Masolino's old style of painting. Two different worlds in one chapel. Masaccio's death is maybe the most tragic early departure among the giant masters of the renaissance period.
    In only 27 years of life he contributed (along with Brunelleschi and Donatello) to create a new world for art. And his works are not only revolutionary but masterpieces by themselves. Imagine what he could have done if the fate would have allowed him to live till 50yo.
    In his twenties he was already considered a new Giotto. Just imagine...

• Media Log 2014   2 weeks 5 days ago

Well, I love So What and Flamenco Sketches but the rest of the album hasn't grabbed me to that extent yet. The subtle progression in emotional content through the course of the album is quite interesting but I need to listen to it more.

Also, 7.7 isn't a very low rating at all.

• Media Log 2014   2 weeks 6 days ago

I'm curious ... why the rather low rating for Kind of Blue?

• Media Log 2014   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks again. Btw, I'm curious which films you would consider the equivalent to Charm of the Highway Strip.

• Paintings to See   3 weeks 15 hours ago

Nope, I'm from the US, though for various forms of art, I certainly wish I was European (or lived there).

• 10 Paintings and others   3 weeks 17 hours ago

I see what you mean. In several cases it's taken me quite a bit of searching to find large enough, high quality images, but I almost always eventually track them down. And there can be no doubt that the internet/books are an indispensable source of seeing these works, and that the image quality in general has increased A LOT in the last few years.

All four of those are great works. Triumph of Death would be my top choice out of those, though I'd be pleased with any of them.

• Paintings to See   3 weeks 21 hours ago

I doubt I'll see all of them. I don't even know where they all are but I should see the ones in the big cities of Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands. What can happen though is a painting has been temporarily moved or being restored when you visit. That happened with Bruegel's The Hunters in the Snow so I'll visit Austria again to see it. Where are you from? Not Europe i'm guessing.

• My Favorite Music   3 weeks 21 hours ago

2014-09-04: 050 accounts, 01 comments, 01 pages
    2014-09-03: 057 accounts
    2014-09-02: 052 accounts, 02 comments, 02 pages
    2014-09-01: 049 accounts
    2014-09-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   3 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks, I agree that is a great scene. Very representative of his quiet, serene sense of humanity (and of course, harmony/symmetry). The Cappella Brancacci is indeed amazing and I have it as one of my highest priorities to re-evaluate soon.

• Media Log 2014   3 weeks 1 day ago

And, out of all those, I'd say Europa, Double Indemnity, Point Blank and Manchurian Candidate are probably the four most likely ones for Morphine's Good.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   3 weeks 2 days ago

Vision of Constantine is one of treasure of the art of painting and one of the very first night-scene (nocturno) in the history of art (obviously, this primacy is only part of its greatness).
    In general, i think it's best best fresco cycle along with those marvellous works in the Cappella Brancacci.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   3 weeks 2 days ago

What do you think of Piero della Francesca's Legend of the True Cross? Do you find it comparable to his smaller works?

• Paintings to See   3 weeks 2 days ago

If you get to see those in real-life, I will be very envious!!!

• 10 Paintings and others   3 weeks 2 days ago

I'll stick with a top 10 of ones i've seen. Books and the internet are a good guide for paintings to seek out but not really for appreciating. It can be hard to work out which version of a painting is the correct one and the small sizes of the pictures make it difficult to judge. I can say which paintings i'm most looking forward to seeing:

La charmeuse de Serpents - Théodore Rousseau
    The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli
    The Hunt in the Forest - Paolo Uccello
    Hunters in the Snow/ The Triumph of Death - Pieter Bruegel

• 10 Paintings and others   3 weeks 3 days ago

You're very fortunate! Ever consider compiling a list of favorite paintings/visual art works while also including those that you've seen in picture books, on the internet, etc?

• --   3 weeks 3 days ago

I meant the comment as a deadpan joke :-) but it's cool, I hear ya :-)