• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 1 day ago

Update 20

We only had 1 change. Dashforcover rose to take 4th alone pushing McJoJo to 5th. Good jobs all.

As a group we logged 110 movies in the week for a total of 3958 films. For the next update on 26 July, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 207 and 414, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Best albums of 2013   2 weeks 2 days ago

It's possible :P

Pretty sure I found out about the Dirty Beaches record indirectly through your lost, though I saw it at a local record shop a few times as well. Good stuff.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 3 days ago

Love Exposure is about perversion, like Conspirators of Pleasure. It seems to say that love is a product of it yet, unreasonably, it is offended by it. Hence shooting surreptitious pictures of women's panties is both sex and love: a person who is not interested sexually in it can still be interested in it, if he is not afraid of being accused of being a pervert. Religious identification is a way of making it known that one is for love and against perversion. Through this notion the movie deals with the idea that sexuality causes all our problems. Otherwise why we would try to hide it and why would we be so quick to accuse someone of being a pervert? It is a parody of ninja movies and a satire on religion. Through action parody it becomes a self-aware statement about what we should glorify, a la Limelight. Instead of saving the girl, we should become the girl. Through the religious satire it says the same thing: instead of saving the saint and banishing the unholy, we should just be who we are until we are recognized by the skin of our teeth. It goes against being captivated by women and by saints.

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 3 days ago

Limelight is self-aware art. It is a prolonged but apocalyptic movement that lays bare our glorification of art. Yet it also glorifies the anti-glorification of art. When we are addicted to X we want to see X objectified in art. This causes us to also overrate X. X is romance in this case, a cliche. The movie resists romance but also resists the resistance of romance: the movie is still romantic. It is just that the romance is in the letting go of romance, which hangs around after it is gone. The romance is not just in the girl but also in the celebrity (the limelight), in the art, in everything that ever mattered - in the self (the identity constructed for appearance on the stage) and in the environment (the totality of what we see on the screen). The Color of Paradise similarly fills the screen with reminders of the magical domain of life before aborting us from it or it from us. In its setting of the greenest and yellowest paradise, it exposes that everything around us is irrationally romanticized. If the most divine paradise imaginable is not truly romantic, then nothing is. In the beginnings of romance, suffering and heartbreak spring up; society becomes an orgasm of its own, using shame as its weapon against heart-breakers and perverts. The old man as well as the blind boy is a victim of political (romantic) correctness; he contrasts with God, society, and nature. The everlasting fate of mistaken identity and the perpetual search for unmistakable God are intertwined. The illusion of the world being beautiful is exacerbated by the fact that we naturally build places that we would like to visually surround us.

Limelight is not just a lesson about romantic love or a sad movie about the end of one's career. The old man deserves to be glorified over other types of characters simply because he represents the end of the journey. By seeing the end we are also forced to think about the journey there, i.e., life. The girl represents youth and our desire to return to the beginning. Chaplin plays both the entertainer (who represents the masses) and the philosopher; hence the story portrays the rift between the philosopher, who views the masses as too romantic, and the masses, who view the philosopher as a clown.

• Best albums of 2013   2 weeks 4 days ago

Awesome to see some Milo love! And obviously Dirty Beaches.

Are you me?

• Which was the best century for music?   2 weeks 6 days ago

The 21st century :P

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   2 weeks 6 days ago

Why certainly.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 6   2 weeks 6 days ago

Please switch my vote to Zen Arcade over Dreamtime Return

• Favorite Comics   2 weeks 6 days ago

I think Kim Thompson has a neat summary of Tintin in Congo. Like you (and him), I am opposed to cleansing history, expunging the story as if it never happened.

Ethics and art is an interesting question. I still struggle with a horse being shot in the neck and thrown down a flight of stairs in one of my favourite films, Andrei Rublev. Can a masterpiece be racist, or sexist, or classist, or...? I'm uncomfortable with the idea of demanding ideological purity (such an attitude seems almost abhorrently self-indulgent, where appreciated works are easily assimilated into one's own moral perspective), but I'm also disinclined to laud something that can be construed as prejudiced and hateful. Oliver Twist is an intolerable book for a number of reasons, not least of which is the hateful Jewish caricature. Yet I love the Goscinny Asterix volume, and in many cases the humour is rooted in xenophobia, stereotypes and parodies. I find ethical questions worth attending to, but difficult to parse.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   2 weeks 6 days ago

I'd love to, but it would be better if you post it. Otherwise it's gonna seem manipulative and illegal.

• Top 400 trance tracks of all time   2 weeks 6 days ago

just a few relatively (!) new underground tunes that made it onto my youtube favourites of late, might be someone elses cup of tea too (certainly mine) - wouldnt like to guess their genre (and way different from the golden age of trance) but if you like these give me a shout here and I'll see if I can't suggest a few more (in fact let me know if you do/dont like them out of interest)
    (Cape Town - Metaphorique (Ferry Tayle Neverending Story Mix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWR3rz6BoYs
    (Cape Town - Cinema (Original Mix)and ff to 1.50 to lose the bumph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2T2PAa58BM
    Misja Helsloot - Wrecked (original mix) start at 1.45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6EYqY2bc0
    Cape Town - Proglifter (Original Mix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYxMAqJEWI
    Miyon - Why (start from 1.50 for anthemic bliss) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_vRnprd9Fk
    Grace - Skin On Skin (Orange Mix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg38uRISNm8
    ormazd solarforce (in fact solarforce generally worth checking out) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95FD2Ni2vR0

and just for fun an uplifting trance tune that was adored (and generally unheard of by the masses) on Rapture TV in its day
    System Of Life - Luv Is Cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol-vqi54hW8

• Nominees for RioBravo's Best Ever Album Tournament (ranked)   2 weeks 6 days ago

This is a rough list to track which albums I've listened to/need to relisten to. I'll be going through most of these albums, and the others I haven't listened to, pretty soon. I'll vote then.

• My Favourite Albums   2 weeks 6 days ago

Please share some votes on the tournament.

• The 300   2 weeks 6 days ago

Lloyd Cole at #23? Now that was unexpected! Nice list.

• Favorite Comics   2 weeks 6 days ago

Having said that, I should make it clearer that I'm not ok with animal cruelty nor racism in any form - the atrocities perpetrated by the belgians during their colonization of Congo were particularly despicable. The racism we find today in Tintin in the Congo is already a very softened and even "educational" version for kids. I heard some libraries chose to move Tintin in the Congo from the children's section to the adult's section and this seems perfectly reasonable to me. Banning and trying to erase history is another story.

Ha! Please vote.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for your patience!
    After this week, I'll be on a trip for two weeks and probably won't see any film. Once I'm back, at the beginning of August, I should have the time to recreate my list.
    And thanks for keeping up the good work!

• Greatest EPs   3 weeks 22 hours ago

You Made Me Realise won't bore you the way Loveless does. It's an awesome heavy alternative rock record with 5 actual songs, not vacuum-cleaner soundscapes or stuff like that. The title track is the best song Sonic Youth never wrote!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 1 day ago

Re: trying to predict ratings ... remember, it's all subjective so you're unlikely to always agree with me and vice versa. If you want to be able to predict my ratings (a) you'll probably never have a perfect rate of success simply because we're two different people that won't see things the exact same way all the time (b) the more familiarity you have with the albums on my list and the incremental differences between them, the more frequently the ratings will make sense from one to another (such as why I rated the Go Team album a 7/10, and rate, say, Bromst, a bit higher than it at 7.5/10).

It pretty much comes down to this:

"ALL the choices on my lists are a representation of is my opinion of #1 (Expressed Emotional Conviction) and #2 (Ingenuity) in greater and greater collaboration. The higher the rating/ranking, the greater the collaboration of these two factors. As a byproduct of this, one tends to experience greater degrees of conceptual weight ..."

"...a reliable formula for my ratings and rankings could be as follows:

Accumulation of the degree and consistency of expressed emotional content and ingenuity within the time frame or space of the work of art."

It might be important to know that the albums/art works relative to this formula and the collaboration of those two major factors tends to already be pretty great at 7.3+ and is still impressive in the 7/10 range. At 7.8 we've already reach a level that is astonishing or other such descriptions, and at 8.3 we're hitting a level that one is overwhelmed by awe... So, if one really holds the albums to those levels in rating them, it can be seen that even a really impressive album might "only" be, say, 7.5. At 7.5 the albums are already starting to turn the corner from "historically extraordinary" to "historically amazing/causing astonishment"... For an artist to have even one work in this range or even close to it already puts them in some pretty impressive company.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 1 day ago

Also, you're welcome to change my vote if you want :)

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 1 day ago

I agree that Zen Arcade is very likely the superior work. There was a week or two earlier this year where I was considering upgrading Dreamtime Return to a 9/10 but I probably wont be doing that after more recent evaluations.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 1 day ago

Update 19

Kaplan's list is not yet recovered. However the page with kaplan's listing had a link to another resource which lists the number of viewings. Kaplan says these viewings coincide with the rules for our Scoreboard so I will be using this number for kaplan's number for the foreseeable future.

We only had 3 changes. Dashforcover rose to join McJoJo at 4th. Julesyoung rose to 11th place and mightysparks leaped over lucky 13 to settle for 12th! Good jobs all.

As a group we logged 247 movies in the week for a total of 3848 films. For the next update on 19 July, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 200 and 400, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

If you are wondering where I was last week, it was 19 years of the IMDB Top 250 lists. Which I was preparing to post on Listology. For more info see the Listology home page.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   3 weeks 1 day ago

AfterHours, you should re-evaluate Dreamtime in Return and realize it's no match for Zen Arcade. ;)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 2 days ago

I honestly have no idea, I'd expect it could be anywhere from 6.5-7.5. I was expecting TLS to make it onto the 7.3+ list but it didn't so I've given up on trying to predict your ratings anymore XD So I guess add it to this list anyway.

• Greatest EPs   3 weeks 2 days ago

Check out the "No Tears" EP by Tuxedomoon.