• Greatest Pop, Hip-Hop and R & B/Soul Albums (Additionally includes critically acclaimed classic albums rated 7/10)   2 weeks 1 day ago

Random musing: ... I mean, I suppose Dalek's "Untitled" (2010) qualifies as "hip hop"...

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 1 day ago

Seems pretty interesting. I'm getting The Miraculous. Grace Slick and Julia Holter? I'm wondering what her voice sounds like. By the way, I just recently heard Richard Dawson's The Vile Stuff you guys were talking about a while ago and it was one amazing piece. How did that album hold up after repeated listens?

• Favorite Movies   2 weeks 1 day ago

Sure, it's always me replying (at least that I know of). And it's good to find something about another listologer other than how he rates an album or a movie. I'm aware that Iran has a lot of young people with westernized habits and fighting for more liberal values. That's great.
    Are you a fan of Abbas Kiarostami, btw? I've seen the movies The Traveler and The Wind Will Carry Us and was amazed. Iran has something in common with Portugal's Alentejo region, probably the olive trees and the peaceful people.
    I wouldn't say Portugal has suffered from the bourgeoisie itself. We suffered a fascist dictatorship for 40 years that didn't allow that much of a bourgeoisie, but did create a very reverent, parochial society. Sure, now they can be annoying with their cars, Iphones, and shopping mall and gymn schedules, but these are common things even among the poorer people. If only our bourgeoisie was as funny and elegant (even if equally clueless) as Buñuel's... I also think Buñuel, for all his left-wing pretentions, has a soft-spot for the charm of the rich.

Buñuel is pretty bold stylistically when he wants to and by no means are his films visually uninteresting. What I meant was that he was not a Bergman (apart from a couple of movies, pretty unimaginative ideas and camera-work. It's mostly beautifully photographed people monologing about their feelings).

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 weeks 1 day ago

Update 31 - 15 November

This time no one switched positions in relation to other players. However, kaplan has moved into the 1 or more movies per day slot, for real this time.

Top watchers (alphabetically) guaranteed to not fall out of the 1 or more movies per day slot are: dashforcover, guardianryoga, Puzzgal, schwabe, and te18.

As a group we logged only 95 movies since the last update for a total of 5981 films. Next time, likely, we will pass the 6000 film count. For the next update on 22 November, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 333 and 666 (uh oh, for the superstitious), respectively. Happy viewing and see you next time! God willin' and creek don't rise.

Faire and ample warning: I do not plan to continue doing the Scoreboard in 2016. In case you missed my notice.

• Year-by-year music rankings   2 weeks 1 day ago

Yes indeed, very possibly the greatest two works of art in the history of ...everything :) The Tain is extraordinary, but don't let it -- or anything really -- get in your way of those!

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 1 day ago

Her most recent album The Miraculous is like a hybrid of Nico, Dead Can Dance, early Sinead O'Connor, Grace Slick, Enya, Kate Bush and Julia Holter. Its an amazing work, among the best albums since 2000. Her previous two albums are highly emotional and personal, more stripped down. With The Ceremony she begins implementing more organ and the Nico comparisons and gothic atmosphere appear. All her songs seem recommendable to me so far. Her most extraordinary is track #4 "Come Wander With Me/Deliverance" from The Miraculous but really, I'd recommend whole albums -- The Miraculous, while unified, leads into several vivid directions and no one track could perfectly encapsulate what she's about.

• Favorite Movies   2 weeks 1 day ago

Like a good wine, it just gets better with age. I enjoy it more every time.

• Favorite Movies   2 weeks 1 day ago

MisterRay was just a SEO experiment I did for work. Google didn't like it either. Yep, still and forever an Iranian, or to be more precise: Iranian-Armenian. And I'm hoping you're still you :)

Pretty cool to know how you like his films. I haven't seen a Bunuel movie I didn't like either: The Discreet Charm, Un Chien Andalou, The Obscure Object of Desire (two actresses playing the same role), Viridiana. Guess we'll be going through the Bunuel collection for a while!

My single favorite moment in The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie was probably the sound of a typewriter drowning out the voice of a corporate bureaucrat guy who just heard his orders from a bourgeoisie whose voice was drowned out by a loud siren-like drone. It was such a magnificent thing to see, almost cathartic in how it spoke volumes with a few seconds of noise. The bourgeoisie found their way to Iran and made their annoying impact decades ago. The country's now called The Islamic Republic of Iran but it has a lot more in common with western culture than the name might suggest. Of course, we haven't suffered the bourgeoisie nearly as much as you guys.

Anyway, I'll probably see Exterminating Angel very soon, and thanks for recommending them all. Bunuel is becoming one of my favorite directors. I don't know a lot about cinematography or camera work, but the bold close ups and the fast camera motion were sure interesting to me.

• Favorite Movies   2 weeks 1 day ago

Yeah, Buñuel is a genius and that movie is perhaps the best introduction to his work. He is a director that relies mostly on the strength of his ideas, not so much on the usual embelishment of the cinematography or camera work. I also love the subtle ironies in the ways of treatment among the rich, the priests, the respectable people, etc. These are things a Spaniard, a French or a Portuguese can immediately relate to (because of their catholic, provincial tradition), much more so than an American or a German. My favorite movie of his is perhaps Tristana, but I'd recommend you the essential Exterminating Angel (about people at a party who can't seem to leave) and Los Olvidados, both from his Mexican Period. Actually, I haven't seen a Buñuel movie I didn't like so I recommend them all.

What's with MisterRay? I liked Amirkhosro better. You're Iranian, right?

• Favorite Movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

Judging by your recommendation and basic Wikipedia information, I'm very intrigued. Seems fit for my taste. I like to watch a lot of movies, but life gets in the way, so it happens only once in a while. I'll make sure to see it.

Mad props to Marquee for his movies list. A few days ago, me and a bunch of friends got our hands a Bunuel DVD collection and I decided to look at his favorite movies list for what Bunuel movie to watch. We saw The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. Totally, utterly loved watching it and analyzing all the dialogues and pictures as they looped around each other and created wild variations on a surrealistic sociological theme. It had sense of timelessness that can't be broken up by sleep, waking up or the craziest things happening. There are so many layers to this thing that I'm guessing I'll watch it a few times more just for closure.

• Best Songs: The Beatles / Jimi Hendrix / Led Zeppelin / Nirvana / Pink Floyd / Radiohead / The Rolling Stones   2 weeks 2 days ago

Yeah, Beefheart has around 40 great tracks from 69-70 alone . Off the top of my head, I'd probably list something like this:

Ant Man Bee
    Owed T' Alex
    Hot Head
    Veteran's Day Poppy
    When Big Joan Sets Up
    Gimme Dat Harp Boy

• Year-by-year music rankings   2 weeks 2 days ago

I just haven't gotten around to it. Today I listened thru Bach's Mass in B Minor and Mahler's 9th, each for the first time ever. Crazy second-last-year-of-life masterpieces.

I haven't listened to the B-sides so maybe I'll have to give those a go. I just re-listened to parts of The Bends and, although it's an okay album, I didn't find any of the songs worthy of inclusion despite being very well produced and showcasing excellent craft/songwriting skills. Radiohead became a much more interesting band when they started utilizing Yorke's voice in strange/otherworldly ways and began dramatically manipulating the musical environments his voice was lost inside to counterpoint or facilitate this, culminating with Amnesiac. Their earlier songs are well made, high class songs but aren't particularly interesting to me (too emotionally anemic, especially vocally -- and not in a particularly compelling/haunting way like, say, Joy Division). Still, your suggestions were probably the ones with the best chance at inclusion before OK Computer. Airbag, Let Down, No Surprises, maybe a song from Hail to the Thief and one or two others on their other albums, still have a shot at this point.

Sulk is so-so... I consider "bad" a strong word, just like "masterpiece" :-)

• Favorite movies   2 weeks 2 days ago

Another Welles movie worth watching: F for Fake.

The Bends is pretty good, probably 6.5/10 for me. But there's a 7/10 in there somewhere: replace a couple of songs (Sulk, maybe High and Dry and Bullet Proof) with the best B-sides (e.g. The Trickster, Permanent Daylight and Talk Show Host; surprisingly, there's a whole album's worth of B-sides from the era. 14 to be exact).

I'd have agreed with you that Radiohead don't have any bad songs, except Sulk exists.

• Year-by-year music rankings   2 weeks 2 days ago

Right on, glad you like 'em! I imagine you've seen the absurd, hilarious spoof, Portlandia?

I dont know if you list EPs on here, but The Tint is every bit as great as Picaresque (even better imo), and is the best song/track they've ever done (its one 18 min song).

Oh, didn't realize you were referring to a song with "just". Thought it was a typo in your sentence. But, yeah, I dig Just and Planet Telex too -- not sure if theyre quite good enough. Been a long time since I listened to The Bends. Solid album though. Used to be one of my all time favorites.

Radiohead don't really have any "bad" songs that Ive heard. They're all at least "good/solid". The ones above are those that particularly stand out for me. Ill probably add some more, possibly the ones you've mentioned. Even if I don't they're excellent recommendations and wouldn't miss the mark by much.

"that one" refers to Just or Street Spirit? (More likely, Street Spirit.) Perhaps Planet Telex as well?

• Music Ratings & Notes   2 weeks 2 days ago

Anna Von Hausswolff... who that? I've seen her name around Listology recently but I haven't heard a song. Any single song in particular that you'd recommend?

Kanye's good. I can hardly wait for Swish to drop.

• Year-by-year music rankings   2 weeks 2 days ago

I go to college in Portland. The Decemberists are from Portland. I can attest to a few great bands having astounding regionality (as did, I only may imagine, Faulkner, Joyce, Kafka, Morrison (Toni or Jim), Hughes, Wu Cheng'en): Pere Ubu (and Rocket from the Tombs), X______X, the Electric Eels, and the Decemberists. The lattermost are the best you can be while being 100% Portland. (One way they are very Portland is the natural beauty of some of their songs. Another way they are very Portland is their music's separation from black music. It used to be illegal to be black and be a resident in Oregon. Alas, for all the liberals, this place ain't diverse at all. Or perhaps you'd expect no diversity. After all, -everyone- here is liberal. However:) Love dude's earnest voice; the breadth of his subject matter; the Getz-level patience they churn out melodies with; and that their varied instrumentation doesn't detract from the core.

Thank you for telling me to check them out!

Beefheart would be practically impossible to do in order :-) but both would be fun and I'm sure at some point Ill do lists of them.

I like all of those. If anything from The Bends gets on here it would be that one and/or Fake Plastic Trees and maybe My Iron Lung. For all 3, it just depends on the "cut off" point I go with, which for now isn't very defined -- something like: "which songs really impress me" with anything below that not making it. Those 3 are all probably right around borderline -- either just good enough or not quite.

Thanks, I'm considering I Want You. Need to re-listen to it to see how well it holds up compared to what's on here.

Do Beefheart and Buckley too

You beat me to it. Awesome track.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) is great too.