• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   5 days 4 hours ago

Available on Netflix for the ten last
    Bold means Oscar nominated role
    Bold caps means Oscar winning role
    * means recommended movie

- The Big Lebowski, 1998 *
    - Happiness, 1998 *
    - Patch Adams, 1998 *
    - Next Stop Wonderland, 1998
    - Scent of a Woman, 1992 *

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 6 hours ago

That's a great list (Buddy Guy!). Already a lot of great music mentioned. Thanks for the Billie Holiday video and article also.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 7 hours ago

It's a shame classical and pre-LP era music (Bix, Louis, Billie) are naturally out of the running. In any case, a lot of my favourites have been mentioned (A Love Supreme, Ascension, The Black Saint, & Nico, Highway 61, Exile, etc. I guess I have conventional taste). Here's a list I'm comfortable enough signing my name to, at least for the moment:

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (1957)
    Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come (1959)
    Buddy Guy - A Man & the Blues (1968)
    The Tony Williams Lifetime - Emergency! (1969)
    Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson (1971)
    Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (1971)
    The Clash - London Calling (1979)
    The Indestructible Beat of Soweto (1986)
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (1996)
    Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (2006)

• 25 Albums That Changed My Life   5 days 8 hours ago

Very interesting list. You should submit your top ten album picks for the tournament I'm putting together on my page.

• Prog list   5 days 8 hours ago

Please share your top ten favorite albums on the comment section of my "best ever album tournament" page. It would be very nice to have your input and participation.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 19 hours ago

Yeah.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

Happy with your picks, btw?

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

True

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

Even if that was true, they'd be encouraged to listen to them before voting during each round. It's just a game. I already admitted it's pointless. The only aim is to crown listology's best ever album democratically.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

Most people haven't heard most of these albums so it's pointless

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

Sure. Added.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

Uh, Pithecanthropus Erectus and Remain in Light, maybe? Sure, why not.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

And Double Nickels too, sorry.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 20 hours ago

Even cooler. Could you just replace your Built to Spill choice for another album as it's already represented? Thank you.

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 21 hours ago

That particular list wasn't really in any sort of order. If I had to narrow it down it might look like this, maybe?

Television - Marquee Moon
    Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
    Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
    Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return
    Tortoise - TNT
    Swans - Children of God
    Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising
    Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
    Pharoah Sanders - Karma
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 21 hours ago

Nice! Thank you for the ultra-quick feedback! :D

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Welcome!   5 days 21 hours ago

I like this idea and hope it gets lots of participation. The list you have for mine is totally fine and worthy but its mid-change and incomplete. VU and Nico has been ahead of Lorca for 10+ years and will probably stay that way. The Doors and Parable of Arable Land may as well though they're mid-re-evaluation, as well as Faust. Anyway, I'm totally fine with that list representing my selections but it will probably be somewhat different within the next week.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   5 days 21 hours ago

Yes that makes sense. You should be just fine doing it that way. There are certainly albums, especially classical, or something like Escalator Over the Hill or Twin Infinitives, which have parts where I dont know the exact instruments being applied in each part, and I think - for the most part - it isnt likely to matter unless it helps one work out the emotion/evocation.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   5 days 22 hours ago

It's been a few days since I last commented on this subject, but I think I have had enough time to better describe my dilemma, in case there is still confusion between our discussion: while "getting" music, I tried a weird approach to it, wherein I assume I am not familiar with any instruments or genres. I just focus solely on the emotion expressed, whether it be through melody, timbre or anything of the like. Whenever I associate a sound with an instrument or genre, I feel that it distracts me from "getting" the music (i.e. only associating a sound with its respective instrument). Does that make sense?

• #3 Singles in the UK   6 days 8 hours ago

All Of Me - John Legend was #2 in 2014 & I Knew You Were Trouble - Taylor Swift was #2 in 2013. (got this from your #2 list).

• The 80 Greatest Albums Ever   6 days 14 hours ago

I get your point but I don't really see it as an equivalent to Empire. This is just my personal opinion but I enjoy Metal Machine Music far more: it may be junk but as a harsh ambient album it works. I haven't actually watched Empire but I don't really think I'd find as much value in it. However, as I said I do see your point and there are many similarities between the two: for example, I don't think either work is meant to be experienced as a whole (and I'm not sure if I've ever listened to MMM straight through in one sitting).

• Spam Patrol   6 days 16 hours ago

========== Spam Patrol ===========
    Last user checked: dado3girls
    Deleted spam:
    2015-04-12: 001 accounts, 01 comments, 00 pages
    2015-04-11: 001 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-04-10: 044 accounts, 22 comments, 00 pages
    2015-04-08: 015 accounts, 07 comments, 01 pages
    2015-04-04: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2015-04-03: 024 accounts, 05 comments, 00 pages

• Top 20 trance mixes of all time   1 week 4 hours ago

Thanks for the great lists.

My top 20 - in random order by what popped into my head first:

Tiesto - ISOS 1 (1999)
    Tiesto - ISOS 3: Panama (2002)
    Tiesto - ISOS 2 (2000)
    Tiesto - Magik 5: Heaven Beyond (2000)
    Tiesto - Magik 3: Far From Earth (1998)
    BT - Movement In Still Life (2000)
    Sasha - Global Underground 013 (1999)
    Paul Oakenfold - Perfecto Presents Another World (2000)
    Paul Oakenfold - Tranceport (1998)
    Paul Oakenfold - Voyage Into Trance (1995)
    Darude - Before The Storm (2000)
    Chicane - Behind The Sun (2000)
    Swedish Egil - Trancemission (2000)
    Swedish Egil - American DJ 01: Los Angeles (2001)
    Art of Trance - Retrospective (2009)
    Ferry Costen - Right of Way (2001)
    System F - Trance Nation (1999)
    Push - From Beyond (2001)
    The Auranaut - People Want To Be Needed (2004)
    DJ Micro - Tech Mix Live (2001)

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 7 hours ago

Update 8
    Apologies for a 3 week delay, things got more complicated that I expected and complications continue for a while yet. If we go too long, I may do an occasional non-Sunday update. I doubt no one will object.

Compared to our other weeks, we had relatively few moves this week. Tom_elce rocketed up and is now within one film of moving into the 2 films per day group. So close, so close and yet, so far. Sorry, watched Jersey Boys and could not resist the quotation. We had several other moves, mamushka up one to 6th, Ultimo Lee up two to 8th, mightysparks sparked up 3 to 9th, Puzzgal copied mightysparks to claim 11th. I owe nyybella an apology for not seeing the climb one spot last update so now I'm noting the 2 spot climb to 23rd. Congrats to all.

As a group we logged 390 movies over the last three weeks for a total of 2034 films. Things remain little complicated for me at present so I'm not sure if the next update will be in one or two weeks. For an update on 19 April, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 109 and 218, respectively. For an update on 26 April, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 116 and 232, respectively. Happy viewing and see you in one or two weeks!

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 14 hours ago

Thanks for the recommendation, I listened to Dubnobasswithmyheadman, and it's a great album, though I was expecting more relentlessly invigorating. Still, stuff like Skyscraper, Spoonman and Cowgirl is exactly what I was looking for (some other tracks are good as well: Dark and Long, Dirty Epic and River of Bass). Now I need to check out Second Toughest as well.