• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 6 days ago

Thank you for answering so quickly. I like Low and Heroes too, but I'd say my favorite Bowie album is Station to Station. If you haven't already I highly recommend you check that one out. To me it's the most Bowie-esque of all (if such category exists), combining retro and futuristic aesthetics in a very engaging way despite the cold and artificial detachment.
    Re: I see... kind of. I found your connection between emotional conviction and singularity of expression an interesting idea. I'm not yet sure if these concepts are completely meaningful or the best guide to study or evaluate all artworks but I have to recognize that as criteria they cover a lot of ground without imposing on the artwork's characteristics. It's the evaluations of emotion that bother me. What's 'a lot of conviction'? Who gets to decide? Imagine you'll end up thinking Blackstar is mediocre. Could you really call it superficial or emotionally uninteresting? I don't think so, in this particular case that would sound very impolite and dangerously self-centered. The relations between artist-artwork and artwork-consumer are different ones and complex ones too. We should think about these things more often.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 6 days ago

Excellent questions :)

Re: Heard Bowie's Blackstar? ... Nope, haven't heard it, but you've got me interested and I'll probably try and squeeze it in soon. My favorite albums of his are rather easily Low and Heroes so I'd love to find something else that approximates or even surpasses those!

Re: How do I evaluate depth in cases where we're sure about the artist's conviction? ... If the artist is indeed singing/performing with a lot of conviction, it would then come down to the degree of singularity of expression, the combination of which (for me) goes a long way in determining just how much depth is there. If the expression is so singular that nothing else can really be likened to it and it can't really be replicated by anyone else then it is very likely doing something highly extraordinary and transcendent (so long as said expression is not just "unique" but has been relayed with ingenuity). By "ingenuity" I mean that it in the expression is represented a singular intelligence. Being so rare and extraordinary, such a work will usually have a duality to it in that it can be assimilated & "connected to" (intensely so) but will also seem to have a vast potentiality of interpretation that can't be found anywhere else. This gives it a quality where, no matter how many listens and how much other music consumed, it tends to remain among the most historically impressive.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   3 weeks 6 days ago

Finally watched some movies to actually make a list!:

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 6 days ago

Have you listened to David Bowie's Blackstar? I've only heard Lazarus and the impressive title track and I'm curious about your opinion. They seem to carry more weight than any other Bowie song that I remember. Even if they don't by your standards or mine, they sure must've for Bowie, considering him being aware of his illness and imminent death. How do you evaluate things like "depth" or "emotional depth" in cases like this where we're sure about the artist's conviction and we have a conscious last work (or close to last if Tony Visconti is correct) in our hands? Isn't our criteria meaningless in this case and any attempt of ranking emotional content ludicrous?

I know this will take a bit to answer, sorry about that.

• Albums I have Listened To   3 weeks 6 days ago

I suggest you check out the lists of other listology members like AfterHours or Amirkhosro.

• Complete filmography of Oscar nominated directors   3 weeks 6 days ago

Complete filmography seen:
    BENNETT MILLER

• Favorite ambient albums   4 weeks 10 hours ago

Great, looking forward to your thoughts. Its quite experimental but extremely rewarding with multiple listens.

• Favorite ambient albums   4 weeks 13 hours ago

Haven't heard the album, but that's some pretty high praise so I'll have to check it out. I see Braxton and Corea perform on the album so I'm sure it's great.

• Greatest Rock Albums   4 weeks 15 hours ago

I now find the Band's self-titled second album even more amazing. With the exception of "Across the Great Divide" (too derivative), "Up On Cripple Creep" (great pop, not quite evocative enough), and possibly "The Unfaithful Servant" (growing on me), the songs are each intriguing juxtapositions of different eras and cultures of America's rural past, all united by a common humility. The haunting "Whispering Pines" is a bit of a departure, but seems to function as a dream sequence. "Rockin' Chair" is just so damn charming, with Manuel and Helm fully embodying their characters, making it seem so believable that they know the wisdom of old age. "Jemima Surrender" is practically an Exile On Main St. track.

• Favorite ambient albums   4 weeks 16 hours ago

Don't know if it truly qualifies per your definition, but if it does, Marion Brown's Afternoon of a Georgia Faun album is (imo) superior to everything on this list (that Ive heard) which is saying something with how impressive these selections already are.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 18 hours ago

It's always fun to have new folks come and join the Scoreboard.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 18 hours ago

It certainly made updating the list more fun for the changes to not happen all at the top. I got to use some of the most fun verbs for folks moving around at the bottom and middle of the list!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 18 hours ago

I'm going to enjoy my high ranking (i.e. 2 or more films a day) while it lasts. 'Cause it won't last long!

On another note, get your films logged for 2015 because the final update will be on 1/17. If you make sure you are done by 1/16, you won't have to worry about me completing the update before you get your list done!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 weeks 21 hours ago

Re: Paranoid Android
    -as a whole ... I think it might be about the consequences of insubordination in a Big Brother-like society (or similar such emotional/conceptual content) ... It progresses through a sinister, suspenseful build-up, to a violent spastic outburst, to spiritual psalm-like atmosphere that seems to represent his death and rise into heaven before (perhaps) being denied/struck down, returning to violent, spastic outbursts.
    -voice elevating to high pitches ... I think Yorke is attempting to relay a character that is anemic emotionally, helpless, devoid of freedom of expression (overly careful through fear of consequence)

Re: Enter the Wu-Tang ... I'm pretty sure I have years ago but I'm not totally sure (definitely not recently)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 weeks 21 hours ago

Re: The National Anthem
    -the strings behind the vocals, giving a reverb-like effect ... It makes it sound otherworldly
    -the sample at the very end (I'm guessing it's of the official National anthem) ... Yeah, I think I'd probably guess too that it's from the official National Anthem, not sure what I think the exact purpose is for the reference

• Movies seen in 2016   4 weeks 1 day ago

Hi spoky. It's been a few years, but can we welcome you again at the Scoreboard? If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 weeks 1 day ago

Alright, how do you feel about these parts:

The National Anthem (Radiohead)
    -the strings behind the vocals, giving a reverb-like effect
    -the sample at the very end (I'm guessing it's of the official National anthem)
    Paranoid Android (Radiohead)
    -as a whole
    -his voice elevating to high pitches at the start of the first "movement"

And, what do you think of Enter the Wu-Tang? Have you rated it yet?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 2 days ago

Update #01 (11 January - 11 days): We have 19 players at this first update. One of them is new to the game, Stretch Corleone. The others played last year, a majority have been playing for years. Thanks for your perseverance! Hopefully the other players of last year that aren't playing yet, will still be joining us.
    Seven players have an average of more than 1 film/day (te18, dahsforcover, mightysparks, Puzzgal, julesyoung, Danvers and myself), the first three of that list have seen even more than 2 films/day. te18 is taking the lead with 29 films. Thanks to dashforcover's excellent spreadsheet I can tell, without having to use my calculator ;-), that we have logged 188 films. (This means: 0.900 films/player/day.)
    I saw 12 films and I share the 6th place with Danvers.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 2 days ago

Actively trying to watch more after last year's abysmal total, so hopefully this'll provide some added incentive. Here I am.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   4 weeks 3 days ago