• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   4 days 5 hours ago

Thanks! Funny, I read it that way anyhow :-) Re: wiki/MoMA info... another step closer... :-)

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   4 days 5 hours ago

*The Disasters of War, dammit! Silly typo.

German Post-Expressionism : The Art of the Great Disorder 1918–1924 corroborates Wikipedia, which says that Der Krieg was a portfolio of fifty etchings, suggesting the homogenity of the series.

MoMA's website: "The portfolio of prints was circulated throughout Germany via a pacifist organization, Never Again War, though Dix himself doubted that his prints could have any bearing on future wars."

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   4 days 6 hours ago

Thanks, I'll check those others out soon (including adding to my "recommended" list as long as you feel they're deserving). Can't immediately tell by the titles if I've already viewed them or not.

Re: Dix work ... If you find that Dix considered it one single work, please let me know. I dont have time at the moment to look into it but I am interested to know... Otherwise, I can look into it myself a little down the road... Regardless, a superb series...

Re: Rembrandt ... Agreed ... For Freud, I'm not sure; would have to look into him further (only cursory evaluations last year)

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   4 days 6 hours ago

It's a good question; I'm not sure where I stand. Due to its coherence I'm inclined to take it as one work, but I don't think one would be necessarily wrong to treat each etching as separate, either. I would also call The Disasters of Work a singular artwork, despite being executed over a course of ten years. Ditto A Rake's Progress. In all three cases there is an overaching unity, and the power of each individual work is amplified by its place in the larger cycle. There is also something to be said, of course, for artistic intention; the works were, from what I understand, intended to be experienced as a whole.

Perhaps I'm being arbitrary, though, because I do not at all see the self-portraits of Rembrandt, or Lucien Freud, as being a series.

Another favourite series: One Hundred Views of Mount Fuji.

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   4 days 9 hours ago

Thanks! Those are impressively gruesome/harrowing sketches. Ive considered adding them/"it" before but wasn't sure if it's considered "one" work?

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   4 days 11 hours ago

Love seeing numerous Otto Dix works here; I've been interested in Der Krieg lately, a horrifying series about the savagery of war.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   5 days 12 hours ago

Thanks, I may have heard that already but Ill toss it up there and give it a go!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 12 hours ago

Aha! Guess that's what I get for posting right before going to bed! That would be quite an album however!

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   5 days 14 hours ago

The four best from all countries represented by four or more jumpers:

AUSTRIA

THE BEST OF THE REST
    Simon Ammann, SWITZERLAND
    Andreas Küttel, SWITZERLAND
    Emmanuel Chedal, FRANCE
    Roberto Cecon, ITALY

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   5 days 14 hours ago

Jumpers climbing the list this season:

Kamil Stoch (Up 1 place, from 12 to 11)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 1 place, from 14 to 13)
    Severin Freund (Up 10 places, from 24 to 14)
    Peter Prevc (Up 7 places, from 26 to 19)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 6 places, from 37 to 31)
    Richard Freitag (Up 2 places, from 35 to 33)
    Jernej Damjan (Up 2 place, from 38 to 36)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 26 places, from 65 to 39)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 30 places, from 72 to 42)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 24 places, from 69 to 45)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 1 place, from 48 to 47)
    Piotr Zyla (Up 5 places from 57 to 52)
    Rune Velta (Up 22 places, From 75 to 53)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 2 places from 56 to 54)
    Marinus Kraus (Up 10 places, from 83 to 73)
    Markus Eisenbichler (New on list, from xx to 85)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   5 days 16 hours ago

Since Good and Yes are on your Greatest Albums list:

Cure for Pain - Morphine

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 19 hours ago

Oh, you took me seriously -_- I was actually pointing out that you'd written "Loveless" where you should've written "My Bloody Valentine". By the way, while we're on the topic, Isn't Anything is pretty cool (I myself remember it as a 7.5-8) and MBV is kinda dull overall, though some of the tracks are good.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 21 hours ago

Re: Isn't Anything ... Yeah, been one of my favorites for years but now seeming better than ever

Re: MBV ... I listened to it when it was released and thought it was "under-7/10"...

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 21 hours ago

Nice to see you liked "Isn't Anything - Loveless". Have you checked out Loveless' self-titled?

• Best novels (that I've read)   6 days 6 hours ago

I think I might have a copy of The Portrait of a Lady lying around somewhere. James certainly has no shortage of admiring critics, I've just always been put off by him for some reason. Though come to think about it I felt the same way about Flaubert and Proust before I read them.

I remember reading the prelude of Middlemarch and being blown away by the sheer quality of the writing. If the rest of the book was like that I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the best books ever written. Maybe I'll give it ago this summer when I get some more free time. So many giant tomes to read, so little time.

• Favorite Albums   6 days 6 hours ago

I'm a big fan of minimalism so Dysnomia really sucked me in. Will have to give it a few more listens to see if it holds up, but I feel like it will.

I actually haven't heard Untitled--will remedy that shortly.

• Best novels (that I've read)   6 days 11 hours ago

The Golden Bowl is definitely at tricky starting place; I’d say the best point of entry for his dense, late writing is the short stories: "The Beast in the Jungle", "The Altar of the Dead", "The Figure in the Carpet", etc. The best work to begin with overall is probably The Portrait of a Lady. Incidentally, it has perhaps my favourite opening sentence ever… though I also love "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad…"

I have ambivalent feelings about Eliot myself--Adam Bede is a qualified success as far as debuts go, Silas Marner is a delightful fairy tale, Daniel Deronda is essentially two novels shoe-horned into one, one being brilliant, the other not so much--but Middlemarch is easily one of the best books ever written.

Thanks for the White Noise tip, I’ll have to give that and Bleak House a go.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 days 11 hours ago

Viet Cong's self titled is excellent btw! I am not sure about the rating yet, but first impression is between 7.2 & 7.5/10. I'll listen to it again as I am well aware that these things can change (for better and worse sometimes) upon further familiarity.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 days 11 hours ago

Thanks, I agree that Goya's black paintings are his greatest series of works. If you check out my all time paintings list, I've listed Colossus and Witches Sabbath quite highly. I'm familiar with the others you mention but I wouldn't mind revisiting them. I'll add them to this soon.

• Best novels (that I've read)   6 days 12 hours ago

I have a P&V copy of Anne Karenina sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. From what I've heard a lot of people seem to prefer it to War and Peace, which only makes me more eager to read it.

The Recognitions is an American Ulysses, and aside from some of the more drawn out stretches it's a great read. DeLillo is good fun too and he isn't nearly as intimidating as most pomo literature out there if you want to give him a go. White Noise is a good place to start.

I wasn't a huge fan of David Copperfield, but Bleak House is something else entirely. It has some of the most imaginative prose in the language, and I found it to be consistently enthralling. I can't say if you would have the same experience with it, but it's worth checking out at least.

Not sure why I didn't include Moby-Dick on here, it should definitely be near the top of my list. It has some of the most awe-inspiring passages in all of English literature as far as I'm concerned.

I've been putting off James and Eliot for a while now. I've read the few hundred pages of the Golden Bowl and got a bit bogged down by how densely-written it was, but I know I'll return to it eventually. Perhaps that wasn't the best starting place?

• Best novels (that I've read)   6 days 14 hours ago

Some favourites here... In Search, Ulysses, Don Quixote, Disgrace... I love War & Peace, but definitely prefer Anna Karenina. I've really neglected some of the postmodernists like Gaddis and DeLillo. I've never quite cottoned onto Dickens--he has flashes of brilliance, my absolute favourite being David Copperfield visiting his mother when the Murdstones aren't around--but I find the novels fail to sufficiently sustain interest for extended periods. I have not read Bleak House, though. Have you given Henry James, George Eliot or Melville a go? Moby Dick, especially, with its proto-modernism, seems like a book you might go for. Interestingly, Faulkner was saying how it was one of the best books ever written in 1911, a good eleven years before the rest of the world caught on.

• Favorite Albums   6 days 14 hours ago

Dysnomia gets better for me everyday, and I've been loving it since the first time I heard it. Don't forget Untilted, although I'm guessing you know it very well already.

• Top 100 Electronic Music (including trance, house, techno, ambient, IDM, jungle, goa, avante-garde, indie electronic, etc.) Albums of All Time   1 week 12 min ago

Hi there,

One album I think (unless it already has) Is from the Underground Resistance stable called X102 Discovers The Rings Of Saturn. Although it's quite outer limits in style for this crew, I think it should get a mention due to it was a pioneering factor of looping tracks, which was quite a special feature for a vinyl record.

To the comment about Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon album, I do truly believe it does belong in all genre's, one of those rare albums that can be classed as Rock, Pop and Dance. I have always said that I believe that it wasn't Chicago or Detroit that gave birth to Acid House, On The Run is so Acid House it isn't funny and I would wager that somewhere along the line that artists like Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Pierre who always quote their main influence on their Techno sound down to Kraftwerk, I would suspect may have heard this album somewhere in their youth.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 2 hours ago

I forgot to suggest you Francisco Goya's black paintings. I think those are his masterpieces. Specially "Saturno devorando a un hijo", "El aquelarre" and "Judith y Holofernes". In that order.
    Also "El coloso", which is not from that series but it's still fascinating.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 2 hours ago

Ok thanks, I'll add it and give it a shot!