• Favorite TV Shows   6 days 22 hours ago

Arrested Development man! Nothing can touch it! :-) I'm very far from a TV buff but its hard to imagine a greater, more bonkers live-action story line making it on TV!

As far as sitcoms go, Seinfeld always delivers, and I really enjoyed The Wire. I should probably finish it someday. Think I left off after the 3rd season.

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 1 hour ago

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 1 hour ago

Yes, I'm not sure why so many people dislike the second season, I think that's around where the series really started sinking its claws into me. I'd say either the third or fourth season is the best, although they all had their moments. It's refreshing to know that there are studios out there that are willing to take risks and put out uncompromising and unconventional material like the Wire. It's really a wonder that we got five seasons of it. I'd say it paid off, and would probably argue that the Wire is television's greatest contribution to the history of cinema to date.

• My Favorite Music   1 week 1 hour ago

This process sounds familiar :-)

• Favorite movies   1 week 2 hours ago

I will add a shorter explanation: the mistaken identity theme provides a great mountain of social, political, moral commentary (allegory practically about racism, sexism, etc. - the prejudices that "besiege" the identity, fabricating barriers and hostility) while the sarcasm, humor, and irony provide the highest relief, inside the action itself. And then the loss of stereotyped identity relates to the spiritual commentary. The suspense is philosophical: the environment is unpredictable and unrelenting and conspiratorial. The meeting in the forest after the fake shooting scene is as it begins divine and surging with exultation, yet it is fleeting and crushed still by the circumstances. A totally dazzling movie.

If you have seen it, Scorsese's Taxi Driver accomplishes the same, by having the main character also be a victim of his environment. There is a contrast between the myth of the serial killer (being originally evil and non-human, materializing directly from our worst fears) and the reality of his smooth, "ancient" transition: the environment vividly inspired him to be that way. Who, or what, is to blame? The contrast exposes our biases about identity. This loss of the self, the loss of meaning, is utterly profound. The extreme example of the serial killer is just a metaphor for who we are. The way in which he is born of the environment plausibly yet unpredictably and leaves it without a trace (having had no important impact on it) lends itself to the same philosophical story as North by Northwest about our terrible circumstances, social and natural, told spiritually.

• Character archetypes   1 week 3 hours ago

It's a pain in the poop chute to find anything as rich as this is when it comes to archetypes. Simply beautiful. Thank you for all your time and effort to help the rest of us.

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 4 hours ago

I've seen it a handful of times now and it keeps getting better. For me, even the implausible storyline of fifth season is overshadowed by its overall high quality. I also really love the second season, and find it absolutely inexplicable that many regard it as a drag.

Uncontroversial opinion: the fourth season is the best.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 4 hours ago

Pretty sure I agree with each of the points you've made here.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 5 hours ago

Yeah, few albums get to me like that one :-) Its extraordinary how great the emotional depth is, considering how spare the songs are. Over the last few days Ive mostly been alternating listens between that and Hex several times per day. I can hardly put them down!

• My Favorite Music   1 week 14 hours ago

Yep, but it is going to take a while. I haven't listened to some of these in months and I want to give them a fresh listen.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 17 hours ago

Dam right Miss America is great!

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 22 hours ago

The Wire is sooooooooo good

• Music Log 2013-2015   1 week 23 hours ago

Nice, I think you'll dig it. Also, after revisiting Mary Margaret O'Hara's breathtaking Miss America several times over the last few weeks, I keep thinking that it seems to emotionally/thematically parallel Kieslowski's Blue quite closely (at least by memory; I haven't watched Blue for some time). Each work of art is its own thing of course, but I thought that could be a little point of interest with your recent increased excitement over the film, and perhaps help hold you over until you view it again! I'm in the reverse position of feeling inclined to go re-watch Blue very soon.

• My Favorite Music   1 week 1 day ago

I'm digging the new format! Interesting to see the various qualitative separations between albums, even when so minute. Do you intend to breakdown the 8 - 9.5 section too?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 1 day ago

Update 7
    Compared to our other weeks, we had relatively few moves this week. McJoJo rose one level to take over 6th place. Nukualofa leaped up 3 spots from 12th to 9th place. Laivaren climbed from 11th to join a tie at 10th place. As a side note, if schwabe continues the current rate of watching films, we will get a new grouping of 3 or more films per day.

As a group we logged 149 movies over the last two weeks for a total of 1644 films. Things remain little complicated for me at present so I'm not sure if the next update will be in one or two weeks. For an update on 29 March, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 88 and 176, respectively. For an update on 5 April, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 95 and 190, respectively. Happy viewing and see you in one or two weeks!

• Favorite Painters [archived]   1 week 1 day ago

Deleuze's book on Francis Bacon is fascinating, and this helpful blog is a great collection of his paintings.

• Only Portuguese Music Worth Listening To   1 week 1 day ago

No I haven't. I've only seen her name on your list (how did you found her, by the way?). When I say portuguese music I'm only referring to music made in Portugal. Brazilian popular music is a whole other world with much richer and more creative music. For brazilian I highly recommend Milton Nascimento's haunting Clube da Esquina (particularly the songs Cais, Tudo o que você podia ser, and San Vicente).

• Music Log 2013-2015   1 week 1 day ago

I don't think I've ever heard Hex, although I remembering hearing the 1st track(?) and enjoying it. I hear it mentioned often in the same breath as <>Spirit of Eden as one of the first post-rock albums, so it sounds like it would be up my alley.

• MOVIE PLAYLIST   1 week 1 day ago

Maybe vague similarities, but I found the film much closer in themes and technically, to Zemeckis' Contact with homages to 2001: A Space Odyssey. I didn't feel much Tarkovsky with Interstellar -- more Zemeckis/Spielberg in terms of craft.

• Only Portuguese Music Worth Listening To   1 week 1 day ago

Have you listened to Jucara Marcal's "Encarnado"? Which, btw, is the only Portuguese music I know of...

• My Favorite Movies (7+/10)   1 week 1 day ago

I understand. We all waste too much time on this site anyway.

• My Correct, but Controversial Ranking of The Beatles   1 week 1 day ago

Let's get this straight I am a huge fan of Frank Zappa and I like The Velvet Underground.

In my short list of the most innovative albums from the 1960's I would actually put Zappa's "Absolutely Free" as the decade most innovative rock album with Velvet Underground debut album behind either Revolver or Sgt. Peppers.

The facts are I appreciate song craft just as much as innovation. The Velvet Underground impact took awhile to surface and Frank Zappa just did not have the pop sensibilities The Beatles had. The Beatles impact was immediate. They knew how incorporate radical techniques and translate it into a commercial song.

Scaruffi does not really appreciate The Beatles song craft and has this misguided notion that only fringe acts can be innovative. To be honest he doesn't have an understanding how influential they were to the majority rock music including most of the fringe bands he likes.

The Beatles are rock/pop music most innovative commercial band but in many ways they are it's most radical. You can take even one of their slight songs like "Flying" and how they altered the 12 bars blues song form to include mellotron passages, backward music and odd taped looped affects. It's one of so many examples as Robert Wyatt would say as The Beatles being progressive.

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   1 week 1 day ago

The four best from all countries represented by four or more jumpers:

AUSTRIA

Andreas Küttel, SWITZERLAND
    Emmanuel Chedal, FRANCE
    Roberto Cecon, ITALY

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   1 week 1 day ago

Climbers and newcomers

After season 2014/2015:
    Simon Ammann (Up 1 place, from 5 to 4)
    Anders Bardal (Up 1 place, from 7 to 6)
    Kamil Stoch (Up 1 place, from 12 to 11)
    Severin Freund (Up 12 places, from 24 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 1 place, from 14 to 13)
    Peter Prevc (Up 9 places, from 26 to 17)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 7 places, from 37 to 30)
    Richard Freitag (Up 3 places, from 35 to 32)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 29 places, from 65 to 36)
    Jernej Damjan (Up 1 place, from 38 to 37)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 32 places, from 72 to 40)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 27 places, from 69 to 42)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 2 places, from 48 to 46)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 9 places from 56 to 47)
    Rune Velta (Up 26 places, From 75 to 49)
    Piotr Zyla (Up 4 places from 57 to 53)
    Marinus Kraus (Up 10 places, from 83 to 73)

Markus Eisenbichler (New on list, from xx to 77)

After season 2013/2014:
    Gregor Schlierenzauer (up 1 place, from 3 to 2)
    Anders Bardal (up 2 places, from 9 to 7)
    Kamil Stoch (up 12 places, from 24 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (up 6 places, from 20 to 14)
    Robert Kranjec (up 2 places, from 22 to 20)
    Severin Freund (up 3 places, from 27 to 24)
    Peter Prevc (up 12 places, from 38 to 26)
    Jernej Damjan (up 8 places, from 46 to 38)
    Taku Takeuchi (up 5 places, from 53 to 48)
    Andreas Wellinger (up 35 places, from 89 to 54)
    Jan Matura (up 2 places, from 57 to 55)
    Jurij Tepes (up 5 places, from 61 to 56)
    Piotr Zyla (up 2 places, from 59 to 57)
    Maciej Kot (up 16 places, from 76 to 60)
    Anssi Koivuranta (up 10 places, from 78 to 68)
    Anders Fannemel (up 20 places, from 92 to 72)

Thomas Diethart (new on this list, from xx to 61)
    Stefan Kraft (new on this list, from xx to 66)
    Michael Hayböck (new on this list, from xx to 70)
    Marinus Kraus (new on this list, from xx to 83)

After season 2012/2013:
    Gregor Schlierenzauer (up 2 places, from 5 to 3)
    Anders Bardal (up 3 places, from 13 to 10)
    Anders Jacobsen (up 5 places, from 17 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (up 1 place, from 20 to 19)
    Tom Hilde (up 1 place, from 24 to 23)
    Kamil Stoch (up 6 places, from 30 to 24)
    Severin Freund (up 9 places, from 37 to 28)
    Michael Neumayer (up 3 places, from 33 to 30)
    Richard Freitag (up 14 places, from 49 to 35)
    Peter Prevc (up 21 places, from 60 to 39)
    Taku Takeuchi (up 9 places, from 62 to 53)
    Piotr Zyla (up 15 places, from 76 to 61)
    Jurij Tepes (up 29 places, from 92 to 63)
    Anders Fannemel (up 1 place, from 96 to 95)

Jan Matura (new on this list, from xx to 58)
    Jaka Hvala (new on this list, from xx to 75)
    Maciej Kot (new on this list, from xx to 76)
    Andreas Stjernen (new on this list, from xx to 83)
    Andreas Wellinger (new on this list, from xx to 92)

After season 2011/2012:
    Anders Bardal (up 11 places, from 24 to 13)
    Martin Koch (up 4 places, from 20 to 16)
    Robert Kranjec (up 3 places, from 25 to 22)
    Daiki Ito (up 8 places, from 34 to 26)
    Kamil Stoch (up 18 places, from 48 to 30)
    Roman Koudelka (up 11 places, from 45 to 34)
    Severin Freund (up 16 places, from 53 to 37)
    Denis Kornilov (up 5 places, from 60 to 55)
    David Zauner (up 3 places, from 61 to 58)
    Peter Prevc (up 20 places, from 80 to 60)
    Taku Takeuchi (up 36 places, from 98 to 62)
    Andreas Wank (up 20 places, from 85 to 65)
    Maximilian Mechler (up 5 places, from 99 to 94)

Richard Freitag (new on the list, from xx to 50)
    Lukas Hlava (new on the list, from xx to 66)
    Rune Velta (new on the list, from xx to 71)
    Vegard Haukø Sklett (new on the list, from xx to 72)
    Anssi Koivuranta (new on the list, from xx to 74)
    Piotr Zyla (new on the list, from xx to 78)
    Jurij Tepes (new on the list, from xx to 92)
    Anders Fannemel (new on the list, from xx to 96)

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   1 week 1 day ago

Jumpers climbing the list this season:

Simon Ammann (Up 1 place, from 5 to 4)
    Anders Bardal (Up 1 place, from 7 to 6)
    Kamil Stoch (Up 1 place, from 12 to 11)
    Severin Freund (Up 12 places, from 24 to 12)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 1 place, from 14 to 13)
    Peter Prevc (Up 9 places, from 26 to 17)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 7 places, from 37 to 30)
    Richard Freitag (Up 3 places, from 35 to 32)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 29 places, from 65 to 36)
    Jernej Damjan (Up 1 place, from 38 to 37)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 32 places, from 72 to 40)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 27 places, from 69 to 42)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 2 places, from 48 to 46)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 9 places from 56 to 47)
    Rune Velta (Up 26 places, From 75 to 49)
    Piotr Zyla (Up 4 places from 57 to 53)
    Marinus Kraus (Up 10 places, from 83 to 73)
    Markus Eisenbichler (New on list, from xx to 77)