• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   1 week 5 days ago

Great to see you back! Yes, my appetite for paintings has been f-ing monstrous and taken over most of my recent free time ... :-) or :-( ??? ... I don't believe I've seen that Giovanni, and he may even be totally new to me -- though his style makes me think I may have caught some of his other works at some point last year. Either way, he is awesomely strange indeed. Thank you, I will definitely be looking into him some more!

I have been a bit of a blitzkrieg, but the "15000" may have been (unintentionally) misleading. I didn't "thoroughly study" all 15000. Most of them were "effective, good works/well painted", but even a majority of those were almost immediately evident that they were "below-7/10" per my criteria so I hardly spent much time on them at all after giving them a good, efficient, look-over. What I found most worthy is what I ended up adding to my list during that time span (the percentage of which could also seem really depressing).

On a different note: I love women as much as the next heterosexual male earthling, but one annoyance I would like to express is that I got really tired of seeing paintings of a nude, lonely woman mired in pathos, with her head turned away from the viewer, or looking off into the distance, or some variation. Seriously, most of those are the "bad new age/pop music" of visual art!!!

Thanks for the recommendations of operas too. I live in Oregon, USA. We have a solid Symphony, and operas such as Mozart, etc, do come through here somewhat consistently. I have a good number of friends but only a few that like (some of) the same music/art as I do, so when I go out, (for some reason) it's rarely been to the theater, or symphonies/operas. My tastes being in the minority among them, usually I am the one sort of holding my tongue and going to see the latest Spiderman movie or something ;-) But maybe I'll twist some arms and take one or two to go get some Mozart on.

Yes, literature ... oh, the time ... someday I hope?

I see your appetite for art hasn't diminished! I continue to think your methods are bizarre (15000 paintings in a few weeks! As far as painting goes I've been communing with only Charlotte Salomon for that amount of time) but I certainly don't knock it.

I see literature still isn't your thing, but I highly recommend this very short piece written by Borges on Shakespeare. Beautiful, and will hopefully convince you to pick up Othello or King Lear or The Winter's Tale!?! I'm not sure where you live but are the MET Operas screened to a theatre near you? Virtually all of them are incredible (I saw Macbeth today) but you should especially, if possible, check out The Marriage of Figaro which is coming up. One of the most sublime works in any field, of all time.

I will be sure to check out your new lists of paintings..!

Edit: have you seen the work of Stefano di Giovanni? A weird, wonderful Gothic painter... Here is an example.

• Rock : 100 Greatest Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Hmmm, looks like I'll have to take a crack at Natural Snow Buildings' "The Dance of the Moon and the Sun"!

While I would obviously agree with you that it's easier to compare stylistically to its more direct predecessors in rock such as MC5 or The Doors (or various works of 60's experimental jazz), I don't think it's particularly difficult to compare it to how amazing I find any classical work (or any other form of art, even if on a different planet stylistically), and besides, it's not so far removed, in spirit/progression of intensity, from the likes of, say, Beethoven's 5th or several atonal works of the 1900s or (much later) Branca's The Ascension, etc. That said, Musical Offering certainly wouldn't be my first point of comparison...

The Stooges were original and their music owes nothing to classical music. It won't make sense to compare, say, A Musical Offering and Fun House. Personally I think Fun House is in the same league as A Love Supreme or White Light/White Heat.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   1 week 6 days ago

Well, there you go, 8.5 now. Maybe it will return -- after several years away -- to my all time masterpieces list. It has a legit shot.

• Best American Idol / X-Factor / TV Talent Show Performances (Music Only)   1 week 6 days ago

Wow, she is actually really good. She turned Passenger's "Let Her Go" -- a mediocre song at best (imo) -- into an emotionally affecting "lost Lisa Germano" track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTuLDimhKaY

I just re-listened to Fun House and I'd say that it's at least as ferocious as I remember and has a very good shot at a high-8 or 8.3+. I'll have to listen to it again (soon) to determine... plus, I may also want to revisit their debut beforehand...

I don't listen to classical music at all....so I can't really compare Fun House or the Beatles' best works to the works you mentioned. I don't actually hold the Beatles in that high regard, their best album is just an 8.4 for me. Fun House is significantly better and a masterpiece IMO.

By "your life" I wasn't necessarily pointing specifically at you, just any music listener. I have no idea if you've assimilated those works or not, or if you consider the likes of Fun House, or to a lesser extent (presumably), The Beatles best works, on the same level as Beethoven, Bach, and so forth...

Right now, that seems right. All of the 8's could be 10's or 9.5's or whatever ... until your life gets changed by Beethoven's or Mahler's 9th Symphonies, or Verdi's Requiem, or Bach's Mass in B Minor, or Tristan & Isolde (un-listed), etc ... Last time I listened to Fun House, I thought it might be as high as 8.0 - 8.2 and mentally noted that it certainly has a future shot at 8.3+ ... and years ago I had it in my top 15 or so ... so, we'll see, I wouldn't be surprised... It's certainly an amazing act of energetic, sexual rebellion somewhere between the raw electrification of MC5 (KOTJ) and theatrical ferocity of The Doors

RE: The Beatles ... Pet Sounds is more likely to make a leap (though, by that, I don't necessarily mean that it will)

Speaking of albums which need to have a higher rating, why is Fun House stuck at 7.9/10 :P

That would be cool for me too -- I always want more albums in the higher ratings, of course -- but right now I don't think that's going to happen (I wouldn't say "never" though). I listen to them occasionally because I like those albums, but also, just in case...

You're revisiting the Beatles too? Well then, here's hoping Revolver and The Beatles finally find their way onto your Pop Albums list! Maybe even a 7.3+ rating for Abbey Road this time around.

• Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time   1 week 6 days ago

Where's Tyler Perry!?!?!?

• Best American Idol / X-Factor / TV Talent Show Performances (Music Only)   2 weeks 21 hours ago

Regarding Birdy, she is actually an artist to look out for and has an outside chance at becoming extraordinary (the talent is there). Her vocal vulnerability and emotional depth recall Lisa Germano (particularly earlier albums such as On the Way Down from Moon Palace) and Liz Phair (Exile in Guyville), though with a bit more range.

Though, chances are, the music industry will strip her of artistic self-determinism/expression and turn her into a money-making "teen idol" if it hasn't already happened. Here are some examples of her "getting away with" displaying some of her talent so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXwPUYU8rTI ...probably her "mini-masterpiece"...

Those are the ones I found that stood out as a whole (or had some elements in them that stood out and displayed her potential). Not sure if she has any others...

• Quiz: From which films are these characters?   2 weeks 2 days ago

10. "Schindler's List" ?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Wow. Learn something new every day XD

• Best American Idol / X-Factor / TV Talent Show Performances (Music Only)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks, come to think of it, Ariana Grande would actually sound pretty amazing if her vocals were being sung/swallowed within the sound of Twin Infinitives. If only her producer knew this! :)

• In 100 Years Time, Which Album Will Prove to Have Left the Most Significant Mark on the Face of Music?   2 weeks 3 days ago

The Beatles are the most influential on style and culture but I'm pretty sure VU are the most influential musically.

• The Most Influential Rock Albums   2 weeks 3 days ago

VU's debut should probably be #1, and Highway 61 Revisited should be ahead of Bringing it All Back Home. The latter was indeed quite important, having come first, but the latter contains "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Desolation Row," songs which pushed the envelope both musically and in terms of length.

And I would put Pet Sounds above any Beatles album. Various listeners have cited PS as an influence on Sgt, especially in the beginning of "Good Morning Good Morning" when the animal sounds are audible (just like from "Caroline, No" the previous year).

And replace Elvis with either Popol Vuh's Hosianna Mantra, which was a precursor to new age and ambient, or Beefheart's TMR, which changed the definition of "musically innovative." Elvis is easily one of rock's most overrated figures.

Ah yes, you didn't know it was a Picasso?

I think this is a very good idea actually; honestly, I wish you good luck with finding more great performances :)

If you're looking for good 1D songs, Kiss You is pretty decent actually. Not sure if even that has much emotional depth though, haha. And Britney Spears...umm, Toxic?

I haven't heard anything from Ariana Grande so as far as I'm concerned she might as well have already made a masterpiece on the level of Twin Infinitives ;)

Yerself is Steam is "Visual Art"? Are you talking about the album cover here?

Hmm, it is a nice album cover I guess XP

• Best American Idol / X-Factor / TV Talent Show Performances (Music Only)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Also, Ella Henderson's rendition of "Believe" is way better than Cher's original...