user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • Greatest Films - Extended List   6 days 1 hour ago

Whoops :) I hadn't looked at it until now because I thought it was just a copy of the 1001 Films Before You Die book list. I'd missed the "rated" part of the title. Nice, I'll keep up on that one

• Greatest Films - Extended List   6 days 2 hours ago

Not really; my 1001 Films Before You Die Rated list is pretty close though.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   6 days 9 hours ago

Note: the rankings "(1), (2), (3)" etc for the "candidates" section are in order of likelihood (subject to change).

• Greatest Films - Extended List   6 days 14 hours ago

Yep, as always, it comes down to a matter of opinion -- subjective...blah blah... Any plans to creating and consistently updating a "Best Films" list?

• Funny Piero Scaruffi Quotes   6 days 15 hours ago

What do you mean by "MMT"?

• Greatest Films - Extended List   1 week 8 hours ago

Cool, a 7/10 is still excellent (if a 7/10 is as good as mine in your ratings system) ... Pulp Fiction is Tarantino presenting a series of retro characters that recall old crime films and leading them into situations that defy the immediate expectations that those characters would get into in those old crime films, instead exploding those situations from the retro past into violent or intense modern-style dilemmas, including the structure of the plot and their verbose interactions with one another. It also has a visual sense that tends to turn the characters into larger-than-life mythic figures (as if exploding off the climactic pages from a comic book).

• Greatest Films - Extended List   1 week 9 hours ago

Regardless, you're better off viewing more of the history of cinema to more fully appreciate the depth of what other great modern directors like Tarantino are doing/alluding to. He displays a striking verbal and conversational delivery that seems founded in Howard Hawks (Big Sleep, His Girl Friday, etc), but more directly from Scorsese (such as Goodfellas and Mean Streets). And a visual, thematic and editing sense that again recalls Scorsese directly, but runs even deeper through Peckinpah (Wild Bunch, Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia) and back to Welles (Touch of Evil, and in how it turns its characters into larger than life B-movie mythic figures [especially Quinlan] and throws them into situations that subvert expectations by exploding into strikingly vivid modern situations). Perhaps it's all most accurately encapsulated in Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West which does a similar thing to Westerns though in a more operatic fashion -- and clearly a major influence on Tarantino.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   1 week 9 hours ago

Just Capt Phillips which I thought was very good (7/10ish).

• Greatest Films - Extended List   1 week 10 hours ago

Reservoir Dogs has some similarities in that regard, subverting expectations, and never showing the actual crime scene, making it character (and their madness in its aftermath) driven. It's a bit more relentless/economical (if less thematic and visually provocative) in its tensions and brutality. Its sort of a spin on the 12 Angry Men gimmick. As one learns more about the characters through situations and in their flashbacks, the scenes become increasingly tense until the volcanic release of the conclusion where every character in the scene turns against one another.

• Greatest Films - Extended List   1 week 14 hours ago

The opening scene is brilliant, I agree, and the action scene near the end was great as well. All of this is obvious enough for me to give it a 7/10 only though. I think I get Face/Off fine, but just don't think it's impressive to the degree you do.

I think I should've asked about Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs instead.

• Greatest Films - Extended List   1 week 15 hours ago

Briefly ... the action scenes and emotional scenes are sensationally shot and choreographed but also extremely perverse while also remaining intense/affecting -- the presentation of the scenes themselves are metaphors of the personality clash/dichotomy between Cage and Travolta: the opening scene of his sons death is shot like a fairy tale in slo-mo -- its both criminal/horrific but also beautiful and child-like and innocent, the combination of which is perverse/insane; the near-finale in the Church, doves flying about, etc... the film continually tops itself in escalations of the insanity between the personality switches of the two leads, until he finally kills ... himself, staring at his own death scene as if looking in the mirror, shaken by not being able to tell the difference any longer. And then, to top it all off, it ends with him adopting Cage's son to replace the death of his own son ... again, restarting the cycle (of Cage/Travolta), the scene is both beautiful and perverse/insane (with the same shot composition/cinematography and slo-mo as the opening)...

• Greatest Films - Extended List   1 week 22 hours ago

What's the secret to unlocking Face/Off's genius? :/

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 1 day ago

Ok, my animated movie gurus. I have read through this thread and have been amazed by how little detail is given with good outcomes. So I ask for your help.

There is a dark cloud taking over everything. I can't remember if there was a kid or a wolf was combating it, but this blackness is really bad. (It is not the Neverending Story) I think there was a moment when the darkness touches a tree, and it either kills it or takes it over or something.

That is all I can remember. Please help!

• Clone of Clone of The Official House Classics Top 100 (1986 – 2000)   1 week 2 days ago

This is what I call music

• 100 Things I will do before I die   1 week 2 days ago

U should come visit south africa!! Email me... seanbaycollege@gmail.com :)
    Or bbm 7ad5499d

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 4 days ago

Hey sorry I'm replying on this as I'm not responding to you directly I'm just new up here. I need HELP. There is a movie I have been searching for... It starts with an explosion and a girl and her father who is a pilot get separated. She is eventually on a river adventure with help from animals. She is trying to escape a woman coming after her by boat. By the end she does find her father and no this is not a rescuer movie! I repeat help!

• Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitarists   1 week 6 days ago

I'm not a guitarist myself, but over the years I've been lucky enough to see Jimmy Vaughan (Stevie's brother) and Steve Morse of Dixie Dregs. I'm surprised they didn't make the top 100.

• Lists that can't be updated   1 week 6 days ago

Works now, thanks :)

• Most Essential Albums of 1984   2 weeks 6 hours ago

The user account for this list was accidently deleted during spam patrol on 7.14.2014
    To recover it clone the page with a new account.

• Most Essential Albums of 1997   2 weeks 6 hours ago

To recover it clone the page with a new account.

• Most Essential Albums of 1993   2 weeks 6 hours ago

To recover it clone the page with a new account.

• Albums Listened to Since December 20, 2013   2 weeks 6 hours ago

To recover it clone the page with a new account.

• Lists that can't be updated   2 weeks 6 hours ago

I added Approved user to your account. You should be able to make edits w/o spam filter.

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   2 weeks 6 hours ago

Thanks I've intended to for years. Have no idea why not yet :)

• Greatest Pop Albums [includes R & B/Soul] (in-progress)   2 weeks 7 hours ago

AfterHours,

You should check out XTC's 'Skylarking' at some point. It may well be the psychedelic pop masterpiece of the '80s.