• Underrated Albums   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks, pretty much everything from his 2000s/2010s lists 7.5 on up, as most of them are overlooked by practically everyone else, are at least as extraordinary as most of what Ive heard here and seem no less qualified than the likes of Mirrored, Natural Snow Buildings and the other 7.5s/8s on here.

Yes, Live -- or any Spring Heel Jack -- would be very worthy additions!

• Media Log 2015 (August onwards)   1 week 4 days ago

If you haven't checked it out, I strongly recommend The Stone Roses self-titled. Its pretty much a perfect unification of pop and emotional transcendence, of melody and a sort of magical psychedelia, of 60s groups like The Beach Boys/Byrds/Beatles and several other flourishes.

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 4 days ago

Thank you, that's quite a collision of influences. Makes it sound all the more intriguing of course!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 4 days ago

Thank you, I don't think I've heard of him. I'll see what I think.

You're right: Scaruffi says very little about him. It could be that he just hasn't gotten around to him yet, but who knows.

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 5 days ago

Yes, lots: Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, Ocean's Eleven, My Dinner with Andre, etc. Lots of shows too: Law and Order, G.I.Joe, etc.
    Each of these has its own Community episode. Sometimes an episode is works based on a collage of different homages to different works.
    I can't properly describe how great it is. You have to see for yourself. If you intend to watch it, be patient with the first dozen of episodes. Around mid season 1 things start to get really psychedelic. The rest is consistently surprising and awesome.

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

Right now I'd say: Yeezus, 808's and Heartbreak, Dark Fantasy, College Dropout and Late Registration. I haven't heard Graduation.

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

Why would I want to preserve them? I'm just writing about the stuff I like each week. No need to get all weird and serious about it.

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

How about making a separate page for the "Favorite songs of the week" lists where each of them can be preserved?

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   1 week 5 days ago

I haven't actually heard that one. My knowledge of Lou Reed's solo stuff is kinda spotty, but I should correct this as soon as possible.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 5 days ago

I'm curious about your take on Jandek's albums (my suggesstion is Six and Six). Are you familiar with him? He's one of the few weird, one of a kind singer/songwriters Scaruffi isn't interested in, apparently. I think his music and guitar playing is haunting, in a Skip Jamesian way.

• Underrated Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Thanks for the kind word but this list is in serious need of revision. There are so many obvious albums I should add (Live, Creature Comforts and Untilted off the top of my head).

Scaruffi rates most of these albums 6-7 or lower (or simply doesn't rate them). His decade lists are huge and each covers hundreds of albums from Aquarium to Metal Machine Music. I don't think they are used by anyone unless that person believes in nearly everything Scaruffi writes. Still, I understand that I could remove Half Machine Lip Moves and Days of Wine and Roses and Passion because they're well known in the hardcore Scaruffi crowd, but that's less than 10 people. These albums are still widely overlooked.

Any suggestions for the list?

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

How would you rank Kanye's albums?

• Best Films of the 1990's   1 week 5 days ago

Thanks

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Lou Reed's Take No Prisoners has to be in there.

• Underrated Albums   1 week 5 days ago

This is a great list and while I agree that these tend to go overlooked, doesn't Scaruffi highly recommend most of these? Even though his 9/10 list is very strict and these aren't on it, I can't think of a stronger proponent for several of these albums than he is... Most years, many of these are among the very best on his lists, while very few magazines/critics aside from him have paid them much attention.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   1 week 6 days ago

What are your favourite tracks on Hairless Toys? And what do you think of Róisín Murphy's other work?

• Best Films of the 1990's   1 week 6 days ago
  • Best Films of the 1990's   1 week 6 days ago

Do you know where Marquee and I discussed Taste of Cherry?

• Favorite TV Shows   1 week 6 days ago

I dont watch much TV but Seinfeld, Arrested Development and The Simpsons are all great. Does Seinfeld ever get old? I also find Family Guy pretty damn hilarious on the occasions I catch it. I liked The Office (US) quite a bit for its first few seasons, though I felt it sort of lost its touch after that (still entertaining though). Also, The Wire is really well made, excellent stuff, and I like what Ive seen of Mad Men. What's your opinion of those, if any?

Ive never heard of Community. Are there any films you would compare it to?

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   1 week 6 days ago

I feel like I must have listened to it earlier this year, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. I'll give it another listen soon, I enjoyed some of her earlier stuff.

• Best Films of the 1990's   1 week 6 days ago

I might. Either way, the 7.3-7.7 range will probably have little drop off. Probably some of the 7.3s but little, if anything, above that. Most of them are pretty accurate, maybe a decimal or two off here and there, but the vast majority will stay at or above 7.3.

• Favorite movies   1 week 6 days ago

First, it's not a movie that sharply ridicules religion - it appeals least of all to arrogant atheists, because the ending is pro-faith - it's a movie that believes and doesn't believe at the same time. It takes faith seriously in the same way Star Wars takes "the force" seriously and Lost Highway takes the sexually jealous male's delusions seriously: these things are cryptic but serious and realistic. If you believe in something, it becomes real. Art is religion. The movie reconciles the nonbeliever and the believer, using humor to break the norms of each side. It uses a variety of symbolic characters who illustrate solidarity (that is cross-cultural). In Lost Highway the events are being experienced by the young man and being vicariously experienced by the convicted man. Dogma similarly metaphysically combines two, or at least two, contradictory perspectives: they are on a real spiritual journey, that is also being vicariously experienced by atheists. The vision is both surreal (to nonbelievers) and real, obscene and compassionate. It can be thought of as a movie that was forced to become spiritual by religious convention, in which case it is "self-aware" with regard to supernatural sci-fi movies (movies that are forced to become unnatural): it knows it is something we want to see because of our willingness/desire to believe, and it also challenges our desire not to believe.

• Best Films of the 1990's   1 week 6 days ago

Does that mean that a lot of the films in the 7.3-7.7 range will be demoted to 7/10? If so, can you please add the 7/10 category to the list instead of simply removing those choices?

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 6 days ago

I finally listened to 808's and Heartbreak last week. I don't know why contemporary critics all put it down. It's a great, creative, daring and revolutionary album (with fundamental elements that re-surfaced on Yeezus) and probably the most influential thing he did in the 2000's.

I too wonder about Death Grips being genius or garbage. I like the instrumentals, I like what the guy does (both here and on that awesome Church Gone Wild album) but the yelling incomprehensible vocals put me off after a few tracks. I wonder what kind of a mood their music works with.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   2 weeks 58 sec ago

Thoughts on the Jenny Hval album? Something about it pushes buttons that very few albums push. I don't know how I'd rate it but it's excitingly transgressive and that's a rare thing to happen!