• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   6 days 14 hours ago

i might have a little advantage over you, but i defiantly take your challenge! game on! haha

• Best Albums of the 1980's   6 days 19 hours ago

For years The Dreaming was my favourite album by Kate Bush but upon getting live tickets to see her I found myself revisiting Hounds of Love and it has grown in stature heavily over the past year or so.

• Favorite movies (I've seen)   1 week 30 min ago

Excellent choice, one of the artistic pinnacles of film. You're entirely safe in anticipating one of the most extraordinary cinematic experiences of your life.

• Best movies of the 2010s (that I've seen)   1 week 33 min ago

Thanks, I recently saw Birdman and thought it was indeed fantastic. I thought it might be one of the best films of the 2010's, but would want to see it once more to better judge its depth. Currently I am considering it either 7.2, 7.3 or 7.4/10.

• Best Albums of the 1980's   1 week 36 min ago

I revisited Hounds of Love after years away from it, and it was a revelation. I'm tentative about upgrading it at the moment (currently 7/10, and in the end it still might stay there), but it was a pleasure to revisit! Thanks for reminding me to get back around to it by posting this (excellent) list!

• Best movies of the 2010s (that I've seen)   1 week 9 hours ago

Judging by your taste in movies I get the feeling that you'd enjoy most of these. In particular I'd suggest Birdman if you haven't seen it yet. Inarritu really outdid himself with that one.

• Best albums (that I've heard)   1 week 10 hours ago

Thanks. I'll update this at some point, I know that I'm missing a bunch of album, this was just off the top of my head.

I missed a chance to see Yes live last year, I'm still pretty sore about that.

• Best movies of the 2010s (that I've seen)   1 week 10 hours ago

Lots of choices here that I have on my radar. Thanks for posting!

• Best albums (that I've heard)   1 week 10 hours ago

Great list!

• Best albums (that I've heard)   1 week 11 hours ago

So nice to see another listologist who loves TNT, Red Medicine, Yes, Crazy Rhythms and Mirrored as much as I do. Such a sweet list :)

• Favorite movies (I've seen)   1 week 13 hours ago

I was planning to watch The Mirror soon, thanks!

• Favorite movies (I've seen)   1 week 22 hours ago

Based on your Bergman, Resnais, Malick and Angelopoulos selections, I'd highly recommend Andrei Tarkovsky -- all 7 of his films, 5 of which are among the greatest of all time, and the other 2 would be among the best films of almost any given year.

• Favorite movies (I've seen)   1 week 22 hours ago

Great list! :-) Looking forward to its future!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 1 day ago

Anyone out there heard the La Dispute debut mentioned here?: http://scaruffi.com/vol8/ladisput.html I'm intrigued! Sounds like it would be a screamo update on Patti Smith, Carla Bley, and Mars Volta.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 1 day ago

I agree, I've had it as high as 8.6 before and nearly upgraded it to all time masterpiece at that time, so maybe its in the cards? Regardless, its among the greatest albums of all time. I'll revisit it today. I was planning to soon anyway but your enthusiasm has sped up the process! :)

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   1 week 1 day ago

Right now I agree with your list 100%. If I had to take just one work of art to a desert island, it would be ridiculous to choose anything but the Art of Fugue.

Do you like Autechre? Their approach to music is so pure, their art so beautifully complex and endlessly rewarding, their influence so deep and their ethics so strong that I can't help but think they're the Bach of our time.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 1 day ago

I think many of the songs just became more profound to me than ever before. Easy, Autumn and Does Not Suffice have catapulted so much higher in my estimations. The title track is possibly the greatest female vocal performance of all time, and one of the greatest songs of all time on top of that. Jackrabbits is heartbreaking.

A beautiful, harrowing work.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 1 day ago

Nice!!! Its one of the many albums I'll be revisiting soon. Did you uncover a new, revelatory aspect to it or was it simply familiar elements becoming more amazing than they were before?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   1 week 1 day ago

Well Have One On Me just hit me harder than any album has in an extremely long time. If a 10/10 album is going to be created ever, my money is on Newsom to get it done.

• Favorite Movies   1 week 2 days ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Metropolis was top 5 for you. Welles' films are a feast for lovers of the cinematic language, which he uses in the most dynamic, awe-inspiring ways, probably more so than any other filmmaker in history.

Ah yes, my Citizen Kane review. Don't remind me about finishing that darn thing ;-) In-depth analysis of that film is a herculean, time-consuming effort...

I've seen two other Zulawski's, both were good. One was Diabel, which starts off amazing, but I wasn't too thrilled about it after that. And the other, I think, was On the Silver Globe which was interesting, strange, bizarre -- haven't determined its quality yet ... would have to see it again.

• Film Log   1 week 2 days ago

Treme is definitely worth watching, although it took a little while for me to get on it's wavelength.

While it's not as hardhitting as Simon's other work, there is something about it's lose, sprawling structure and lack of traditional plot that becomes very endearing. It's about culture and tradition whereas The Wire was about institutions. It loses traction somewhere in Season 3, but stick it out to Season 4 because that series finale is a thing of beauty.

Treme meanders and drifts, but if you let the current carry you it can be quite beautiful.

• Film Log   1 week 2 days ago

I agree completely.

Now I'm tempted to give Treme a shot, just because of David Simon's involvement.

• Film Log   1 week 2 days ago

The Corner is fantastic. As much as I adore The Wire, it's characterization of addicts seems scant in comparison.

• Favorite Movies   1 week 2 days ago

Oh man I'm so psyched about watching these films... Judging by the way you describe Metropolis, I have a strong hunch that it will find a spot in my top 5! Welles is a very interesting director. I intend to watch all his films this year.

I just remembered you have a massive Citizen Kane review that I haven't read yet. Tonight's gonna be fun :)

Do you recommend any other Zulawski film?

• Favorite Movies   1 week 2 days ago

Annie Hall is pretty good. Natural Born Killers has too much style and not enough content. It gets rather insufferable (Media is EVIL! OK! I FUCKING GET IT!). Thanks for the recommendations. I'm looking forward to watch Dr. Strangelove and The Grand Budapest Hotel soon.