• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 days 13 hours ago

Sounds good, I may say a bit more on this and I may add a section about it to my albums listening guide. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. In the meantime, if you would like any pointers on any of the songs or the album in general (Doors or otherwise), its no problem, feel free to ask :)

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (combination list including all 4 editions)   3 days 15 hours ago

• Titles read as of September 16, 2014: 125
    • Titles read as of December 4, 2014: 126
    • Titles read as of December 15, 2014: 127

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   3 days 22 hours ago

In regards to your "Under Consideration" list, although Scaruffi's rock picks generally don't mean much to me I think Astral Weeks, Double Nickels on the Dime (though it could have, perhaps, benefited from some cutting), Blonde on Blonde and Daydream Nation are all very great albums, and wouldn't be surprised to see any one of them ascend soon enough. Your jazz picks are brilliant (though there are too few of them!); A Love Supreme may well be, as far as I'm concerned, the greatest work of art of the last century. Judging by your current picks, and the kind of listening trajectory they signify, I assume you have heard, or intend to hear, the likes of Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Thelonious Monk, etc.

I would love to see some canonized jazz artists who, by virtue of being absent from Scaruffi's lists, are mostly ignored by Listology, break into these lists. Louis Armstrong (his hot 5's and 7's work especially, he tragically falls off around 1930), Bix Beiderbecke, Billie Holiday (Ken Burns puts together a great compilation), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Art Tatum (the Pablo recordings!), Jelly Roll Morton, Duke Ellington, etc etc. A very different kind of aesthetic compared to the jazz that's found on this list, but astonishing nonetheless.

• Favorite Music   3 days 23 hours ago

I'd say, with some certainty, that the Beatles are one of my favourite rock groups of all time, but they don't mean as much to me as they once did (I hardly listen to the genre these days in any case). My favourite Beatles albums are Abbey Road and A Hard Day's Night... the latter album admittedly has a nostalgic pull, but it's filled with perfect songs. I probably like the title track least (overexposure, perhaps) but love everything that comes after: "Things We Said Today", "I'll Cry Instead", "You Can't Do That", "I Should Have Known Better", etc. Abbey Road is governed by the opposite kind of artistic impulses: more musically ambitious, simultaneously dissatisfied and adherent to normative structures (the closing suite closes with a nod to the great Robert Johnson), etc. Great stuff. I'll head on over to your list now!

• Favorite Music   3 days 23 hours ago

I obviously disagree with you on WL/WH but I can see where you're coming from. I happen to find WL/WH's atmosphere of recklessness quite appealing. It's the most blissfully absurd record ever :D

The self-titled is great: Candy Says ranks with Sunday Morning and I'll Be Your Mirror among their best pop songs. I don't like Loaded that much: it's a good album but there's some filler. The first three tracks plus the last track would've made for a perfect EP. I like VU but I haven't listened to it much either.

Oh, I'd be very interested to know what you think of the other albums among my favourites :P

And another question: what do you think of the Beatles' discography?

• Films seen in 2014   4 days 1 hour ago

Hi aaliyah16,

Thanks for being part of the Listology Scoreboard in 2014; its been great fun. The 2015 edition is planned and we're "taking names", with or without the film listing link. If you would like to join us, we would love to see you again.

• Movies Seen 2014   4 days 1 hour ago

Hi mattmakins,

• Viewing Log, 2014   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi skullduggerish,

• Movies Watched 2014   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi danvers,

dashforcover

• Movies Seen In 2014 & TV Series, Documentaries, Music & Mini Series   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi julesyoung,

• Movies I've Watched In 2014   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi Laivaren,

• Movies Watched in 2014   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi mamushka,

• Movies Seen in 2014   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi Puzzgal,

• 2014 Film Log   4 days 3 hours ago

Hi mightysparks,

• Film Log 2014   4 days 3 hours ago

I was worried you had done a kaplan. Glad to see you are back with us and I hope the hiatus was healing.

• Film Log 2014   4 days 7 hours ago

I'll be joining again. Props to you for stepping up and taking the reins now that kaplan is gone. I look forward to next year and hopefully I won't burn out as quickly as I did this year.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 days 7 hours ago

Count me in. Will make my list page shortly.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   4 days 11 hours ago

Thank you so much. I'very been trying to figure out what that movie was

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 days 15 hours ago

I have difficulty with both, but more of perceiving the emotional content then experiencing/assimilating it. When I was following your "recommended order", since The Doors' debut was first, I tackled it. Out of all the albums I have listened to, their debut was the closest I got to understanding an album, but I feel as if I never fully "got" the emotions expressed. I will take your and Marquee's advice on attentively listening to an album over and over again next time.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 days 20 hours ago

Yes, I would agree, it's all about first just listening attentively. None of the rest comes without that. Ascertaining what the music is "about" or "means", etc comes more and more naturally following just listening attentively. As one is listening attentively, I recommend mentally noting the emotional and thematic aspects of the work as it is happening, as it is changing (in both the vocals if there are any, and the composition fluctuations/instrumental elements) -- EVEN if it seems obvious and "unnecessary", because this can actually be "built up" into a greater ability of observation/assimilation the more one practices it, to where one can do it much faster and will actually notice more and more about what one is assimilating.