• Favorite movies   1 day 22 hours ago

Well seeing as it's not on your profound films list you seem to believe it's not even close.

• Favorite movies   1 day 23 hours ago

All I meant is Touch of Evil isn't quite so deep as C Kane. No film is :)

• Favorite movies   2 days 1 hour ago

I think you missed my point - my list of the "deepest" films would be exactly the same as this one, so if Touch of Evil isn't "quite so deep" then it will not be highly placed. The list doesn't zig-zag between "profound" and "emotional." There is no dichotomy in my mind. The Wild Bunch is just as deep as Nostalghia. I think North by Northwest is more profound than Persona. For example, while the latter is more of a "meditation" on identity, the former equally explores the confused/shifting nature of identity, and the humor and suspense engage the topic just as intensely and thoroughly while creating concepts themselves - e.g. what is the relationship between humor (relief) and suspense? Hitchcock was a very profound director.

Therefore, naturally, any two choices next to each other on the list are highly comparable, mapping onto similar conceptual ("profound") territory, and never alternating between concepts and emotions. Since profound means intellectually deep, we can think of layers of soil or rock: the list gradually goes from the top layer to the bottom layer: Wild Bunch and Nostalgia are at the very bottom, the most deep.

• Best decade for Movies   2 days 5 hours ago

all a matter of opinion but here are some...

the descent
    the butterfly effect
    enemy at the gates
    little children
    unbreakable
    the departed
    the shape of things
    the man from earth
    shallow hal
    the beach

• 100 Greatest R&B Love Songs   2 days 7 hours ago

This list is so incomplete...Xscape, 112,The Love We Had Stays On My Mind - Dru Hill, Twisted - Keith Sweat, Mario, Ginuwine are not to every be in the top 100 LOVE songs. And U Got It Bad - by Usher...you said (This song still gives me chills)...Really. How old are you...13. No Luther, Gerald Levert, Anita Baker, El Debarge, Stevie Wonder's Ribbon in the Ski & AS. Johnny Gill, the Whispers, Keith Sweat Make it last forever, and Whitney Houston You give good love to me. Revise this mess.

• My Favorite Movies of All Time   2 days 8 hours ago

Nope, but I intend to at some point.

• 100 Greatest R&B Love Songs   2 days 8 hours ago

Tell him blackstallion. We need to make the list.

• My Favorite Movies of All Time   2 days 13 hours ago

Have you seen the 1946 film Beauty and the Beast? It's a masterpiece, even better than the animated film!

• Favorite movies   2 days 15 hours ago

Yeah, fundamentally makes sense. I doubt C Kane or Touch of Evil will rank lowly, though Welles films are generally far more deep/profound than they might at first seem so who knows. Unraveling Kane in particular is a monumental task with astounding rewards. Touch of Evil isn't quite so deep but just as sensational.

• Favorite movies   2 days 19 hours ago

"I already have a preset idea of what the best films are about" - by this I mean even the best films that I have not yet seen. I expect, in other words, Citizen Kane and Touch of Evil (which most likely will make it up there as well) to be highly and immediately comparable with the other top choices: if they aren't, then they won't be up there. The language/culture barrier seems to be one of the most profound topics: it's in the top 4 (Nashville in the sense that its Americans are captivated by an egotistical representation of themselves and one can only be accepted by being seen in that representation, i.e., participating in the pop culture, and imitating - and this ethnocentrism of course implies alienation between cultures). Maybe I should rank North by Northwest higher but it seems to be lacking this type of cultural statement, although the main character's perpetual inability to explain himself is metaphorical. The similarities would be mind-boggling if it weren't for the fact that they are predestined to be there because of the fixed nature (for the time being) of what I find the most profound/emotional. Hopefully that makes sense.

• Favorite movies   2 days 22 hours ago

It wasn't very difficult. The best films for me are destined to be about similar things such as "existential despair," the inability to communicate or to know things absolutely, and illusions which crush everything one knows and expects. The "faux femme fatale" is one thematic symbol of these things (in Chinatown and North by Northwest). Her existence evokes both the real and the fake femme fatale despite only being one of the two. I already have a preset idea of what the best films are about, and also the emotions they create: for example compassion seems to be the best emotion, along with existential ones like doubt (which Memento greatly expresses) - which has to do with suspense and also humor (North by Northwest) - and terror.

• Favorite movies   3 days 4 min ago

Kudos for managing to compare Nostalghia and The Wild Bunch :-)

• Favorite movies   3 days 48 min ago

Not sure if The Wild Bunch should be in first place: Nostalghia feels better, but doesn't seem objectively better. The presence of guns exposes the same human flaws Nostalghia focuses on that have to do with the lack of compassion. Therefore, every gun fight is a representation of both nihilistic despair reflecting on our secret desires to kill each other and our need for compassion. The guns by being easy to shoot unmask our deepest desires and in turn calls to action our deepest desires to overcome those deepest desires, letting us see the conflict and putting us in the face of human nature, provoking the question of which side will win and which one has to win. And the answer seems to be to roll back the clocks, as Domenico suggests, and get rid of the guns. But the human mind is a gun. It essentially squeezes all the meaning that can be gotten from gun debate. The compassionate effect is the same but Nostalghia has no guns or violence, meaning it lacks the terror factor, which exists in relation to the compassion but also by itself. Does it need it? However, The Wild Bunch has little stream-of-consciousness imagery by comparison. Does it need that? They are the same film: it all depends on whether art should please the ego of the enlightened person or to represent something greater, to resist sentiment, if at all possible. Since it is not possible (I assume), to lose the self-centered nature, Nostalghia must be better, but at the same time I am able to see how The Wild Bunch could be better because although not as vividly depicted the nostalgia is still there and there just the same; it is there in the anthropological sense, probably more so, while the personal nostalgia can be easily projected onto the story of these men in a desert rich with symbolism: even if we do not think fondly about such a geographical area, we ought to. Are we biased to Nostalghia (or Mirror) because we like the places in it more? Flying curtains are objectively nostalgic because humans are objectively attracted to them in the same way medicine objectively works because humans respond to them in patterns. But the desert is "objectively" nostalgic too: it is rich in symbolism, albeit largely historical, which we can tune into through learning. We are attracted to history. Now, is the setting of the Western cliched? Does the singular style of Tarkovsky really make his films better? Is it better just because it is less translatable (once we do put it into words, will "spiritual" themes lose meaning)? Crucially, The Wild Bunch has more humor.

• Favorite Albums in Rough Order ––Recommendations and criticism welcome   3 days 6 hours ago

Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Bob Dylan are ranked too low.

• Greatest Prog Rock Songs   3 days 8 hours ago

Do This Heat count as prog? Deceit can sit comfortably among the albums on this list.

• Can't find   3 days 16 hours ago

There are many fake sites who provide links to online movies butt in this case we have better and quality links to online movies just click below link and enjoy your favorite movies with better quality

full free movies online

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 days 22 hours ago

Yeah, great album (especially the last track)!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   4 days 14 min ago

Woo, Viet Cong!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 days 1 hour ago

Well, kaplan, I think you need not worry so much about me passing you to grab 3rd as we both have to share concern about Puzzgal passing us both. Shall I see if I can find a couple of combat helmets for us to wear as she breezes over us? To tell the truth, I'm surprised I'm still in the 1+ films group!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   4 days 1 hour ago

Update 13
    Again, the order of the list remained largely static, with only 2 moves. Puzzgal leaped 3 spots into the 1+ films per day group to claim 5th and julesyoung again climbed one spot to take 18th from loonapick. We also had no ties. Good jobs all.

As a group we logged 151 movies in the week, continuing the reduction in movies logged, for a total of 2898 films. For the next update on 31 May, the numbers for 1, 2 and 3 films per day are 151, 302 and 453, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 18 min ago

Yes, excellent album thank you!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 19 min ago

Agreed :-)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   5 days 1 hour ago

Woo, Stateless!

• Favorite movies   6 days 51 min ago

I agree; Inception constructs the dream as a world with sprawling architecture but fills it merely with your typical criminals and thieves. At best the enemies are a metaphor for antibodies and guilt or something like that, a dramatized story of subconscious occurrences against your will as a general category. The tragedy of Memento is more philosophical - not just rendering stick-figure conflicts in the subconscious, it pushes further into nihilism, the depletion of meaning and the loss of everything besides dogma and false memories to hold on to. It captures a much deeper alienation, both personal and anthropological. Basically, brainwashing by others is not as interesting as brainwashing by oneself or by necessity. I don't remember the Prestige very well but the Batman films are basically tales of corruption: Batman is not in reality particularly heroic, his only real feats being fighting crime that others can't fight (not difficult given superior capabilities) and then disappointing the public opinion, i.e., being indifferent to his political image. He is just a metaphor for the virtuous politician.

• Favorite movies   6 days 8 hours ago

I agree with many of the points you've mentioned; I've failed to find this sort of depth in other Nolan films though (however, I do like The Prestige a lot, and if nothing else, The Dark Knight is pretty fun). Some critics criticise Memento for its confusing structure, but the same applies far better to Inception in my opinion.