• Pulitzer Prize Winners for Fiction   3 weeks 1 day ago

Recently picked up The Known World, Angle of Repose, The Stone Diaries, The Shipping News, Empire Falls and The Hours from Goodwill. All for $8.00.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   3 weeks 1 day ago

I'm in again. Someone has to round out the bottom. :)
    My 2016 List

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 1 day ago

If you had to narrow down your favorite rap songs, what would they be?

About appreciating paintings, how would I go about doing it? Am I supposed to stare at one a bunch of times until I get it? Maybe if you explained what you think the significance behind certain paintings are, that could help. How about 'The Garden of Early Delights' or 'Guernica'? Thanks.

• Movies Watched in 2016 (First time viewed)   3 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks but no thanks. I don't track everything I watch. That's a little more dedication than I can muster

• 2015 IMDB Top 250 movies Preliminary [1/1 list]   3 weeks 2 days ago

This is the list I have compiled. IMDB has not yet finished their official 2015 Top 250 so this list may change when that happens. Then the title will change from "Preliminary ..."

I have also created lists of IMDB's annual top 250 compiled since 1996, 20 years of lists. If you look at my lists, you will find them all under the heading "250"

Happy viewing!

• 2015 IMDB Top 250 movies Preliminary [1/1 list]   3 weeks 2 days ago

Have watched more than half from this list. Will watch the remaining one asap. Thanks for the list.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks for your careful and well-reasoned explanations.
    These were actually impressions and doubts more than accusations. As I was writing I started to respond to myself and erasing entire parts of the comment - these are difficult things to articulate. I guess I have an instinctive suspicion/dislike of rankings and detailed numerical ratings in an area so volatile, varied, and transcendent such as music.
    The superiority bit: I didn't question your investment and dedication to any album you rate (You seem to be way more dedicated and organized than me). This issue was related to the previous ones - the feeling I have is that you can easily dismiss, say, a Louis Armstrong song or a pop album just because you would put your personal criteria above the kind of enjoyment that music was created to transmit (your joke about Beethoven's 9th when talking about a Beatles song led me to assume this). I know "enjoyment" is a dubious word and I'm not advocating music as just thoughtless pleasure. I'm advocating music as a multifaceted, versatile means of expression. And your lists, while they can include lots of different genres of music (not what I'm talking about) tend to privilege an elitist view of music (the best music is difficult and made by geniuses) that often disregards simpler types of music and the intentions of its creators.
    This was just a clarification from my side, no need to answer to this part because you already did.

Anyway, I enjoyed this conversation, which was really enlightening to me as to where you're coming from.

• Year-by-year music rankings, for the sake of nothing more than organization on my own behalf   3 weeks 2 days ago

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it so much. Micheal Larsen (AKA Eyedea (he's also Carbon Carousel's singer); one of the rappers on that disc) was a huge factor in my education.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 2 days ago

Re: Artists motives taken into account ... I would say I them into account insofar as they can be experienced and are relevant to the result. I agree that knowing more about an artist can and does help in evaluations. Not always though. It just depends on how much that artist mixes his/her real life with their art.

Re: Seem too self-centered ... If all you mean is that I am basing the ratings and rankings on my criteria, then I suppose I agree with you.

Re: Distinct goals lumped together competing equally ... By rating two albums the same, I am not saying they are the same other than they each accomplish their separate ends to very similar degrees of success within my criteria. But I very definitely do not get the same experience out of any of them. Each is their own, individual, work of art accomplishing its own unique end.

Re: Ideal alien to all of them ... Obviously my opinion is alien to all of them but I do believe all artists are attempting to make an emotional or conceptual impact (to whatever degree, large or small), and that is the essence of my criteria. The ones that are rewarded the most are those that accomplish this with more creativity and ingenuity. I think you'd find very few serious artists, purposeful and dedicated to their craft, that didn't have that as a fundamental goal. Obviously, the ratings and rankings are determined by how well I feel this was done and the artists are not aware of that or striving to appease me particularly.

Re: Superiority, commit ... I'm not sure where this comes from. All these artists are far superior than I at creating in their respective fields. I am simply listing how much they've affected me in a disciplined, uniform, logical progression. The lists are for myself and anyone with similar ideals or that wants to discuss those ideals (such as here). Though no single person should or will agree with all of my ratings and rankings, a good deal of them should seem logical providing one has a similar criteria as mine (or Scaruffi's of course). Also, Ive committed myself quite a bit to the works I list and have put more time and attention into it than I care to try and calculate.

Not sure if any of that clears that up...

• Critics Ranked and Reviewed   3 weeks 2 days ago

Only losers go to school...

It's beautiful and innovative. Very much so in both cases. So genuinely intense and complicated that I don't listen to it a lot these days (my current mindset mostly drives me toward jazz and hip hop). The Michael Jackson influence is particularly interesting because he transforms it to something completely different and so much better.

I heard "Ether". It's wack. Most of it doesn't even rhyme. Homophobic crap, schoolyard insults and pretty much zero facts. He sounds butthurt. Sad to see how much he declined from the amazing layered rhymes and metaphors of Illmatic to this.

Are you keeping up with the new GOOD Fridays? I can't wait for February 11th, despite the fact that none of his recent songs have done much for me.

I got Waste Age Teen Land yesterday and listened to it while taking a walk. It was just about the best way to spend 41 minutes. Thirteen made me laugh like a maniac in the street and I couldn't possibly stop. The entire thing is soooooooo freaking amazing.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 3 days ago

wOOt!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   3 weeks 3 days ago

FINAL UPDATE

WELCOME BACK MATTMAKINS!

Mightysparks made a mighty leap to tie Ultimo Lee for 7th place. Not to be outdone, julesyoung leaped over Ultimo Lee to claim 6th and a place in the 1+ films per day group. Loonapick rose one spot to own 15th and nybella joined skllduggerish for a tie at 24. Mattmakins took a page from mightysparks and julesyoung to leap to 22nd place.

Eleven players finished in the 1 or more movies per day rank: te18, schwabe, dashforcover, Puzzgal, guardianryoga, julesyoung, Ultimo Lee, mightysparks, McJoJo, kaplan, bpchicky.

Oh my goo'ness! (to quote little Shirley Temple). As a group we logged 242 movies since the last update for a Grand Total ... (isn't dot dot dot from Mamma Mia?) Drum Roll please ... of 7000 films. Can you believe that? an even 7000 films! Congratulations to all and thanks so much for playing Listology Scoreboard 2015.

Happy viewing and I hope to see you on the 2016 edition of Listology Scoreboard! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 3 days ago

You raise some interesting points that deserve clarification. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm not in a rush (probably Sunday night).

• Movies Watched in 2016   3 weeks 3 days ago

Hi nyybella. I hope you'll be playing the Scoreboard again this year. If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• Movies Watched in 2016 (First time viewed)   3 weeks 3 days ago

Hi foreverland. Are you interested in playing an innocent, but fun game for film lovers here at Listology, called Listology Scoreboard? If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• Movies Watched in 2016   3 weeks 3 days ago

Hi Jordan C Wellin. Are you interested in playing an innocent, but fun game for film lovers here at Listology, called Listology Scoreboard? If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• A Still-Entirely-Redundant (But More Useful than Expected) Viewing Log for 2016   3 weeks 3 days ago

Hi Critico. Can we welcome you again, after some years, at the Scoreboard? If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 4 days ago

That makes sense. I also agree with your opinion on Bowie, even though I loved him as a teenager (R.I.P. is right and well deserved).

I guess where I was trying to get to was that an artist's relation with his work (his motives for doing it, his devotion to it, even his opinion about the finished product) is something we as consumers, and especially as critics, should take into account. I know sometimes it's common to view this relationship as something irrelevant and even unsuitable to an unbiased critique of the work, but I feel I'm always in a better position to understand the work if I know about the person who made it. And ideally that also includes knowing about the artist's peers, influences, his social context, etc.
    My problem with these rankings - our old disagreement - is that they always seem too self-centered to me. In that completely different works (from people with different backgrounds and with distinct goals in mind) are lumped together to compete as equals, like in a teacher's excel gradebook, for a subjective ideal of perfection that's alien to all of them. I think that this ideal of perfection is completely artificial and way less important than the actual works you get to admire, and I'm not sure you'd immediately agree with me here. It's this position of superiority I complain about. I always feel I'm the one who has to learn from the artist and make the effort to understand what he's trying to do. And in doing that maybe figure out that my standards don't meet his. I'm the one that should have to commit, not the other way around.

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   3 weeks 4 days ago

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the recommendation. This list needs some earlier rock n roll, for sure.

• Greatest Live Rock Albums   3 weeks 5 days ago

Jerry Lee Lewis' Live at the Star Club in Hamburg is unbelievable!

• Top 200 critically acclaimed movies from the last 5 years   3 weeks 5 days ago

Update 16/1-16:

Out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - In Bless Me, Ultima
    Out Footnote - In Cloud Atlas
    Out The Guard - In Prometheus
    Out Monsieur Lazhar - In Searching for Sugar Man
    Out Martha Marcy May Marlene - In Under the Skin
    Out 50/50 - In Goodnight Mommy
    Out Shame - In We Are the Best!
    Out Margaret - In Into the Woods

Out The Interrupters - In Spy

Update 3/12-15:
    Out Locke - In Creed
    Out X-Men: Days of Future Past - In The Danish Girl
    Out Blancanieves - In Bridge of Spies
    Out Good Kill - In Carol
    Out Joe - In Son of Saul ("Saul Fia")

Update 28/11-15:
    Out 99 Homes - In Spotlight
    Out Parkland - In Brooklyn
    Out Tracks - In A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence ("En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron")

Update 5/11-15:
    Out A Hijacking ("Kapringen") - In Steve Jobs
    Out The Lunchbox ("Dabba") - In Room

Update 28/10-15:
    Out Into the Abyss - In Beasts of No Nation

Update 10/10-15:
    Out Bless Me, Ultima - In Sicario
    Out Cloud Atlas - In The Martian
    Out Prometheus - In MacBeth

Update 14/09-15:
    Out Searching for Sugar Man - In Straight Outta Compton

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 5 days ago

Re: Could you really call it superficial?

Relative to all time greats, perhaps. Its not so much that I would be calling it superficial if I gave it, say, a 6/10 or something. Maybe an ultimate in expressed conviction could be Beethoven's greatest works, or if you don't like that overused example, say, Mahler. Or, with regards to rock, maybe Van Morrison's Astral Weeks. ... ... Anyway, I would simply be saying that its not nearly as expressively compelling in its emotional/conceptual content as a work such as that. One of Bowie's weaknesses (R.I.P) has long been that he expresses himself vocally like he is disconnected from real emotions and serving an artificial construct/character (which can also be done impressively, as he has at times, but imo he is inconsistent). My guess would be that this may be a result of drugs (disconnecting him from reality) and being so successful in the 70s with all the artificial characters he took on for his art (thus continuing to do so in order to retain/re-obtain past glories).

Anyway, I did check the new album out and found the title track intriguing and some other parts of songs pretty good. I would probably rate it under-7/10 and would have to re-listen to it again or a couple times if I were to work out an exact rating. Still, I appreciate the recommendation and your insights and queries. Always feel free to send some more! :-)

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   3 weeks 5 days ago

Thanks!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 weeks 6 days ago

Yeah, I am familiar with Station to Station. It would probably be my 4th choice after Ziggy Stardust.

The ratings and rankings are decided by me and aren't intended to be objective. "Conviction" is probably an imperfect descriptive word as it can imply I am focusing my evaluation on the artists intentions, which isn't really the emphasis. On my criteria page I went with "Expressed Emotional Conviction" to emphasize that the conviction must be expressed and evident.