• Film Log   1 day 8 hours ago

Re: Eisenstein ... Yes, very perceptive.

Re: Russian literature ... I read some Dostoyevsky years ago, but that's about it. Maybe in the future we'll just be able to tap a button on our cell phones and download a novel into our heads! Otherwise, how will I ever find the time?

Re: Romanticism ... Some interesting points in that section ... Maybe an argument can be made in comparing Tarkovsky to something like Beethovens late works, but certainly not as Romantic as, say, his 5th or a film like, say, Hitchcock's Vertigo.

• Rock : The Most Influential Artists   1 day 13 hours ago

I haven't heard Naked Raygun. They seem great from what I'm reading about them on the internet.

Pixies are probably more influential because their music is easier to listen to (compared to Husker Du or Big Black). They've written a lot of catchy songs. I'm sure Neil Young's could be more interesting. I'll be coming around to it one of these days.

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   1 day 14 hours ago

Available on Netflix for the ten last
    Bold means Oscar nominated role
    Bold caps means Oscar winning role
    * means recommended movie

- House of the Sleeping Beauties, 2006
    - Deep Impact, 1998
    - Vampires, 1998
    - The Black Hole, 1979
    - Julia, 1977 *
    - A Bridge Too Far, 1977 *

• Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2012 Updated List) - Ones I Own   1 day 17 hours ago

This list is bogus, something's wrong with list master's ears! There's no way kanye west has two better albums higher in rank then Nas illmatic, and Wu Tang Enter the 36 Chambers! Nas's illmatic is the number 1 90's hip hop album off all time, then Biggy then Wu. kanye west doesn't have 1 album to top Nas illmatic.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   1 day 18 hours ago

Good news, folks! McJoJo has returned to play the 2015 edition of Listology Scoreboard! Seems the internet has decided to play nicely again.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   1 day 18 hours ago

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 day 19 hours ago

Hooray! Welcome back, McJoJo! If you want to join back into the 2014 game, we still have 2 updates coming. I understand if, at this point, you don't want to.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 day 20 hours ago

I dropped out this year cause my internet was too buggy to keep on updating my list. But stronger internet now, so I'm in for the 2015. My list will be here: http://listology.com/mcjojo/list/films-watched-2015

• Most Emotionally Moving/Devastating Albums (Rock/Jazz) [in progress]   2 days 1 hour ago

Thanks :) those too. The feeling of life-threatening urgency, running out of time, unwittingly dying/transforming through ripples of time... Though I'd say that nothing on the album out-devastates Oh Comely.

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   2 days 1 hour ago

I've listened to at least one or two albums each by the artists you mention in the first paragraph but haven't had the chance to return to them as much.

I love Potato Head Blues and one or two other Louis Armstrong tracks I've heard, and Ellington in Newport is a great album though I haven't listened to it in a long time. Thanks for the suggestions, I might check out all those artists' works sometime, especially Armstrong's hot 5's and 7's.

By the way, I'm surprised you don't care much for Scaruffi's picks besides the ones you mentioned: I'd have thought you'd like a few such as TMR, Rock Bottom, The Doors, The Modern Dance, Fare Forward Voyagers, Desertshore, etc.

Good call on ITAOTS. It's the rockers, oddly enough, that may be the most moving tracks on the album.

• Film Log   2 days 7 hours ago

Yeah, he's just so damn intelligent. Some really perceptive remarks about Eisenstein and Russian literature as well, even though I'm not at all familiar with the majority of the material he cites. Although I think the interviewer pushed the Romantic question a bit too much, the answers are so thoughtful; I love where he discusses individualism and humility.

• Film Log   2 days 9 hours ago

Wow, that's a heck of a find. He was so intelligent, passionate about his views and insightful. His elaborations on The Mirror in relation to his family history -- even though I already knew about this -- was particularly fascinating.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   2 days 12 hours ago

Here is where my list will be Great to join once again http://www.listology.com/julesyoung/list/movies-seen-2015-tv-series-docu...

• Movies Seen In 2014 & TV Series, Documentaries, Music & Mini Series   2 days 12 hours ago

Yes of course I would love to join, I will send my link shortly, thanks a lot always fun.

• Favorite Music   2 days 23 hours ago

A Hard Day's Night is a good one, perhaps the best of their pre-Rubber Soul albums! The movie is good as well :D
    I like the self-titled and Abbey Road the most, both of which are among the most interesting pop albums of all time, but their 1966-1967 work is quite enjoyable as well.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 days 5 hours ago

Sounds good, I may say a bit more on this and I may add a section about it to my albums listening guide. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. In the meantime, if you would like any pointers on any of the songs or the album in general (Doors or otherwise), its no problem, feel free to ask :)

• 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (combination list including all 4 editions)   3 days 7 hours ago

• Titles read as of September 16, 2014: 125
    • Titles read as of December 4, 2014: 126
    • Titles read as of December 15, 2014: 127

• My Favorite Albums (8.25+/10)   3 days 14 hours ago

In regards to your "Under Consideration" list, although Scaruffi's rock picks generally don't mean much to me I think Astral Weeks, Double Nickels on the Dime (though it could have, perhaps, benefited from some cutting), Blonde on Blonde and Daydream Nation are all very great albums, and wouldn't be surprised to see any one of them ascend soon enough. Your jazz picks are brilliant (though there are too few of them!); A Love Supreme may well be, as far as I'm concerned, the greatest work of art of the last century. Judging by your current picks, and the kind of listening trajectory they signify, I assume you have heard, or intend to hear, the likes of Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Thelonious Monk, etc.

I would love to see some canonized jazz artists who, by virtue of being absent from Scaruffi's lists, are mostly ignored by Listology, break into these lists. Louis Armstrong (his hot 5's and 7's work especially, he tragically falls off around 1930), Bix Beiderbecke, Billie Holiday (Ken Burns puts together a great compilation), Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Art Tatum (the Pablo recordings!), Jelly Roll Morton, Duke Ellington, etc etc. A very different kind of aesthetic compared to the jazz that's found on this list, but astonishing nonetheless.

• Favorite Music   3 days 15 hours ago

I'd say, with some certainty, that the Beatles are one of my favourite rock groups of all time, but they don't mean as much to me as they once did (I hardly listen to the genre these days in any case). My favourite Beatles albums are Abbey Road and A Hard Day's Night... the latter album admittedly has a nostalgic pull, but it's filled with perfect songs. I probably like the title track least (overexposure, perhaps) but love everything that comes after: "Things We Said Today", "I'll Cry Instead", "You Can't Do That", "I Should Have Known Better", etc. Abbey Road is governed by the opposite kind of artistic impulses: more musically ambitious, simultaneously dissatisfied and adherent to normative structures (the closing suite closes with a nod to the great Robert Johnson), etc. Great stuff. I'll head on over to your list now!

• Favorite Music   3 days 15 hours ago

I obviously disagree with you on WL/WH but I can see where you're coming from. I happen to find WL/WH's atmosphere of recklessness quite appealing. It's the most blissfully absurd record ever :D

The self-titled is great: Candy Says ranks with Sunday Morning and I'll Be Your Mirror among their best pop songs. I don't like Loaded that much: it's a good album but there's some filler. The first three tracks plus the last track would've made for a perfect EP. I like VU but I haven't listened to it much either.

Oh, I'd be very interested to know what you think of the other albums among my favourites :P

And another question: what do you think of the Beatles' discography?

• Films seen in 2014   3 days 17 hours ago

Hi aaliyah16,

Thanks for being part of the Listology Scoreboard in 2014; its been great fun. The 2015 edition is planned and we're "taking names", with or without the film listing link. If you would like to join us, we would love to see you again.

dashforcover