• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 2 days ago

I've heard those two but Moon Pix is more interesting to me. It's an extraordinary piece of work. Very consistent and there's nothing quite like it. I haven't dug deep into it yet but so far so good.

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   1 week 2 days ago

What's so bad about the self-titled? It's great.

• 10 favorite songs per year.   1 week 2 days ago

• Favorite Rock Albums (Eclectic)   1 week 2 days ago

#17. Cat Power: What Would the Community Think

:-)

Glad it hit home for you too!

• Greatest Album Covers (in-progress)   1 week 3 days ago

I checked those out and probably wouldn't add any of them, though they were all interesting. Sun Ra is always good for a double take. I like the Stranger from Durango. The Black Artists group one reminded me that I may want to list To Pimp a Butterfly.

• Greatest Album Covers (in-progress)   1 week 3 days ago

Thank you, I did have Horses on here early on, but chose to remove it. Ill check those other ones out. Dont think I've seen any of them.

• Greatest Album Covers (in-progress)   1 week 3 days ago

Thurston Moore's coolest record covers:

1. Black Artists Group LP
    2. Horses – Patti Smith
    3. Stranger from Durango – richie allen orchestra
    4. Strange strings – sun ra arkestra
    5. Let’s go get stoned – lowel fulsom

• My Favorite Music   1 week 3 days ago

I just can't get over how masterfully the songs are structured and sequenced such that the end of each projects its emotions to the beginning of the next one -- including from the last song back to the first, like a closed loop.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 4 days ago

you Failed indeed :)

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 4 days ago

Thanks for the insights! I'll provide more if necessary (depending on HumanEmotions' response) or maybe regardless of his response when I'm not so tired. So tired infact that I didn't realize I was typing "We Will Fail", until I just re-read what I posted. Haha ... zzz zzz zzz zzz ...

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 4 days ago

Stooges: they didn't have enough material when they went into the studio because most of their set was long noise jams, which Eketra didn't approve of. So they wrote "We Will Fall" and "Ann", the latter pieced together from some other long jam, and there were now 5 longish tracks. Elektra made them edit out a lot of the jamming and add more material to replace it, which they lied they had ready, but in reality they had to quickly write "Real Cool Time", "Not Right", and "Little Doll" in one night to make this happen, the first two being kinda derivative of different aspects of I Wanna Be Your Dog and the latter being somewhat derivative of 1969 (with a Pharaoh Sanders riff as bassline). So you could argue that the album doesn't have a coherent "vision" and that those last 3 was forced/filler (even though Little Doll is particularly amazing!). Basically, for me, they don't fully fit into the paradigm of what gets "eligible" for greater-than-sum-of-parts album effect. Also I'm not too fond of "Not Right" except for the ending and sometimes I think "Ann" is kind of an inferior "The Crystal Ship". The rest of the album is intensely focused on evoking sexually frustrated midwestern youth with every single gesture, but the above flaws I perceive knock it quite a bit from my 7.5+.

Fun Hose: "Dirt" has incredibly compelling urban slimeball atmosphere, almost some dub reggae ennui/angst/blur to it. It's practically Post-punk. "Fun House" has the most delightfully devious mix of guitar and sax, even more than what's on Sticky Fingers, a kind of one-last-GETDOWN-before-the-end-of-the-world. Of the others you didn't mention "Loose" is kind of an inferior TV Eye and "Down On the Street" kind of an inferior Fun House. It's not quite the same as the debut stylistically. I wish it was because it would be easier to compare :) The Stooges is essentially a more extreme take on the garage form of psychedelic rock from a few years prior (also heavier as in Sabbath metal), bordering on something new altogether. Fun House is a true "Detroit Rock" record: It's Hard Rock in the bluesy, groovy swag sense, but with a punkier approach. The dark qualities are less Doors-derived and more of their own kind (like Dirt). The psychedelic qualities are subtler and mostly just add texture instead of all of the Hendrixy wahwah. The avant quality is from freejazz rather than minimalism, giving it a more extroverted sexual prowl sensibility rather than the frustration on the debut. Intellectually I could see how there's less room for distinctive expression with that extroverted theme and also how the whole thing is executed with less purposes than the non-"filler" parts of the debut to begin with, but somehow I'm very convinced when listening to it.

Raw Power: not really worth your time. With "Search and Destroy" you can really feel the band bleed. A few others have palpable decadent atmosphere. But mostly this is just a "basic" album in the punky side of glam style, influenced by a tour with the pre-album New York Dolls and by Bowie's presence.

The Idiot: it may have started off as just a way for Bowie to give Iggy a new career and/or test out his Krautrock skills before the Berlin trilogy, but I'm going to treat this is a real album with a real theme of the depression that feeds decadent behavior and perversion. The problem is that outside of Mass Production, Dum Dum Boys, and possibly Nightclubbing, despite it's presumed effort it's too much style over substance to rank anywhere near other peaks from the same culture.

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 4 days ago

The Stooges is better. Currently, Fun House is probably either going to drop off my 7.3+ list or barely hang on (as a 7.3). With Fun House, there isn't a ton of depth (emotional/conceptual, or technical) past the visceral intensity aside from a repetition of themes from the self-titled (for the most part). LA Blues, for a few minutes, takes things in a very intense, rhythmically restless, harrowing, psychedelic direction. TV Eye and 1970 are probably better than most of the songs off the debut (outside of We Will Fail). With The Stooges self-titled, each riff/vocal/lead solo, etc, is more measured and seems to serve a stronger conceptual/emotional purpose (sexual decadence, frustration, angry youth, satirically reinvigorating music of the 60's, and [with We Will Fail] a slumbered, winding, funereal, suspenseful, hypnotic death march...), while also being some of the most intense music of its kind this side of The Doors. Comparatively, Fun House, while even more relentless and louder, also has less meaningful parts. Its riffs and vocals are basically retreading similar ground, only with some increased speed and immediacy, but also losing a bit of the purpose of the former (excepting the 3 best tracks mentioned above and maybe another). If that doesn't make sense, Ill spend (some) time to point out details. On the debut, all the songs are great but We Will Fail in particular, is their masterpiece, among the best songs of the period, takes up almost a third of the album, thus elevating the rating (and is much better than any song off Fun House).

• Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)   1 week 4 days ago

So what's your new take on The Stooges vs Fun House?

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

If you haven't checked out You are Free and What Would the Community Think? -- or, you have but aren't very familiar with them -- they are masterpieces, two of the most personal and touching albums of all time.

• My Favorite Music   1 week 5 days ago

Cool. It has plenty of depth to revisit, in both lyrics and musical structure. I'll probably get back into it, one of these days. Hearing her sing "Time, as a Sympton" live was one of the most powerful musical experiences I've had.

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

I haven't listened to her albums that much.

• Favorite albums of 2015   1 week 5 days ago

Update that: Croce is probably the best album of 2015 (Rock or Jazz), or if not, very close (I still have plenty left to hear, but based on most years and how few albums these days surpass 8.0/10, it seems like a good chance that it will hold).

• Music Rankings & Notes   1 week 5 days ago

What's your take on Cat Power's albums?

• My Favorite Music   1 week 5 days ago

I listen to it about four or five times a month.

• My Favorite Music   1 week 6 days ago

Wow, good to see the supreme love you have for Divers, and for Joanna Newsom's older albums. Do you still listen to it often? I took a long break from it, but I may get back into it sometime.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 1 day ago

Hmmm, I had no idea there was such division! Even between Scaruffi and ...himself! Ill have to revisit them (probably just Nothing's Shocking).

• Greatest Album Covers (in-progress)   2 weeks 1 day ago

Ah, okay cool. I would agree that (usually) painting, done well, with conviction/artistry (such as Dali), would make pictures such as that more impressive. But this isn't intended to be a list of masterpieces. Its more a fun side project, an interesting gallery of album cover visual art. I came across other album cover lists posted by magazines/websites and thought they were pretty mediocre for the most part, so wanted to see if there were many better selections out there.

• Greatest Album Covers (in-progress)   2 weeks 1 day ago

I meant a computer wallpaper, like those pics you find on google images and end up in the slides for new age youtube videos.
    Cool, I'll do that.