• Jazz Masterpieces   6 days 12 hours ago

You're right. What's the fun in following a guru? People may think Scaruffi is an expert in rock music. But he's no expert in jazz and certainly no expert in classical music (not to mention cinema).
    Bix Beiderbecke, Jelly Roll Morton and Earl Hines are really interesting pianists from the early days of jazz. Check out a youtube video of Earl Hines explaining his piano style. I've played piano since I was a kid, but I can't play jazz yet.

• Greatest Songs/Tracks/Movements of All Time (Classical, Rock & Jazz) [under major revisions]   6 days 12 hours ago

Hey, been a while - was hoping you could explain how you determine what qualifies for this list..

It seems that you have included "irreducible units", meaning albums that don't have tracks, suites that must be considered on the whole, or individual songs that aren't suited.

By that logic, I feel that Zappa's Absolutely Free's first side contains an intro (Plastic People) and two suites (the Duke one and the Vegetables one). Are you saying that they are musically bound together into a supersuite? I don't hear any commonalities between them or bridges or anything. Do you mean just the fact that the whole first is titled as if it's one thing? To me it's like that was just for fun (and by that logic you could do the same for Astral Week's "In the Beginning" and "Afterwrds", although I think that was the producer's idea)

Also, I don't believe that the fact that the second side is bookended by versions of America Drinks makes that all one composition either. Is it the preponderance of Stravinsky quotes throughout.. or again just the unified title for side 2 or something else?

I definitely see the point with the way you divided The Parable Of Arable Land. All of the freakouts on side one dually function as an end to a "song" and a beginning of a new one, effectively making the whole side one big sandwich. Then side 2 breaks the pattern by not starting with a "song" or a continuation of the last freakout, but with a new freakout, thereby starting a new "track". Then the last 2 bits of the album are separate from this sandwich. So there are 3 "tracks".

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 5 hours ago

I watched a movie a few years a go and I can't remember the name I am hoping you can help me. It was direct to tv and was about a teenaged boy that had a human mother but his father was a monster the name of the type of monster started with a K, he had scales, and he looked like a dragon. The word fire was somewhere in the title. Please help if you can it was on ether disney or nickelodeon.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 6 hours ago

Thnks for reply.
    OK im founded one. The anime is "THE WORLD OF TALISMAN" & the jap vers is "Birth"

The other actually its separate title.im still searching... i add more- the ship in the sky is like a sail/pirate ship.the guy chase his gf spirit but could not make it.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 7 hours ago

Maybe Toward the Terra?

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 8 hours ago

im searching this anime for about 20 years now

what i remember is (i think) its a compilation of short animes into one full movie.of of them that i remember is

-a gigantic sphere robots (i think its red & sandy color) chasing bikers & jeep containing characters- in a desert (quite funny chapter)

-other stories - (drama type) is about a guy chasing his died wife/GF soul that turns to swallow (bird) & it goes to a pirate ship in the sky.something that all died soul goes to there

im very2 need ur help to detect what is the title of the anime...

• Jonathan Rosenbaum Essential Cinema (+ 2008 addition)   1 week 10 hours ago

Added to the collection:

Ha-ayit (1981)

Collected: 1051/1080
    Seen: 898/1080

• 100 Metal Albums to Hear Before You Die   1 week 11 hours ago

Where is the Tool at?

• Longest Song Titles Ever   1 week 15 hours ago

Giraffes? Giraffes!:

"…And Then She Look’d Down And Saw Miniature Houses And Miniature People And Inside The Miniature People Were
    Miniature Hearts Pumping Blood Through Miniature Veins (Her Mouth Was Watery And Wet)"

"I Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Am S/H(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Our Together: Our Collective Consciousness’ Psychogenic Fugue"

"She Looked Up From Examining The Freckles On Her Arm And Shouted, “Jesus! I’m Fucking God-Damn Tired Of All This Make-Up Sex!” And He Just Stared Off."

"Fucking Ants Man! Where They Coming From? (Let’s Hang The Carroll Footnoteitsists)"

"When The Catholic Girls Go Camping, The Nicotine Vampires Rule Supreme."

• Jazz Masterpieces   1 week 17 hours ago

Downloading it right now. Also downloading For No Reason At All (I want to know what something so old with such a nice title sounds like). I understand how you feel about Scaruffi-like lists. It's so cute that they believe they've found the greatest music of all time through him. Definitely easier to believe that than to challenge themselves. Good for them!

It's so great that you've studied some jazz history and language. I would love to do that some day. Out of curiosity, do you play music too?

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 60 Best Albums   1 week 18 hours ago

A Morphine compilation without Good and Saddest Song is just pointless.

I hope you hear Yes soon. It's fantastic. The Night's title track is definitely worth hearing too.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2014   1 week 1 day ago

Update #10 (07 April) - First update in three weeks, because I had troubles logging in on the site. tom_elce took over the first position from mightysparks. Both have an average of more than 2 films/day. Only four other players have an average of more than 1 film/day. That's two less (bpchicky and myself) than at the previous update.
    Changes in the top 10: Tatum (6->5), Puzzgal (13->7), bpchicky (6->8), Ultimo Lee (9->8) & Laivaren (10->11).
    I saw only 12 films and lost two places. I'm 8th now.

• BEST 1000 DANCE TRACKS [1984-2009]   1 week 1 day ago

Thought that Black science Orchestra - Save Us (Funky Music) would deserve a mention

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQ72tle91s

Top work on the list btw!

• Jazz Masterpieces   1 week 3 days ago

Thanks. I'm getting tired of Scaruffi-like lists so I tried to do a less random/self-centered list and one that premiated some things other than eccentricity and dissonance. I also tried to learn some jazz history and the early jazz language. At this time the classics from the 30s and 40s give me much more musically than any Scaruffi-picked oddity. That said I think you would really enjoy Billy Harper's Capra Black, which is overwhelming.

• Funniest Movies of All Time   1 week 3 days ago

Gotta be Robin Hood: Men in Tights for me or Austin Powers....

• My Favorite Music   1 week 4 days ago

A nice dose of punk rock is always good for the soul :) By the way, I've started to appreciate Pere Ubu much more than before. Listened to the New Picnic Time and my jaw was dropping during many part, specially One Less Worry. What a glorious mess!

• Rock Giants : Best Bands   1 week 4 days ago

First of all, I too think that Monster Walks the Winter Lake is gorgeous, and the title track is an unbelievable masterpiece. I might even add that album to my Best Rock Albums list.
    The Art of Walking ... well I had little problem getting into it after the 5th or 6th time I heard it. Unfortunately, it's not nearly as rewarding as it is challenging, and "Lost In Art" is a disaster. It's a good album though, and I love "Go" and "Birdies" and "Horses" in particular. Bailing Man and Tenement Year are nice records but I'm sure almost nobody has ever listed them among the greatest rock albums. Ray Gun is imho the best album of late-period Pere Ubu, but the distance between Ray Gun and Modern Dance is equal to the distance between Candy Apple Grey and Zen Arcade.

That leaves New Picnic Time. I actually suspect it might be a masterpiece. The last time I heard it in it's entirety (about 3 years ago) I was mesmerized with half of it and confused about the other half. It certainly was haunting ("Goodbye" and "The Fabulous Sequel" were stuck in my head for weeks). I decided that Picnic was "too unique and way too depressive" so I decided to wait until the right time to listen to it again. Around the same time I discovered David Thomas' solo records and fell in love with Monster and forgot all about Picnic. I guess now is the best time for me to revisit New Picnic Time. I hope it's every bit as good as you describe it. If I rate it higher than 8.5/10 (and Dub Housing higher than 8/10) I'll add Pere Ubu to this list.

By the way, didn't the fantastic original atonal synthesizer sound of Modern Dance become a cliche after being used to death on every other Pere Ubu album? And I wish they were brave enough not to be so "necessarily avant-garde" all the time. Pretentiousness isn't a virtue, even if one can totally pull it off.

----

Update : I listened to New Picnic Time today and it was surprisingly much better than I always used to think it is. It makes so much sense now, and I don't think of the record as depressing or confusing anymore. In fact, I think It may become one of my all-time favourites soon. Pere Ubu are up there in the list.

• Rolling Stone: 100 Greatest Drummers   1 week 4 days ago

I guess they never heard of Buddy Rich...dah? Most rock drummers don't hold a candle to him.

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 60 Best Albums   1 week 4 days ago

I have only heard the first two albums but yeah, I can tell they're not represented well. From Good alone, my favourite track, Good, didn't make it, plus Saddest Song, Claire, Unto Your Grave, Other Side and I Know You.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 4 days ago

I think "królestwo zielonej polany" the story seems right but I doubt it went out of Poland

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 5 days ago

Maybe "glo friends" or "Broučci"

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 5 days ago

Maybe episode of Les Jules... Chienne de Vie! But rather not.

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 5 days ago

100% sure:
    Peter in Magicland

• Movie Log   1 week 5 days ago

I need help I've been trying to figure out what this movie is called for months now I use to watch it as a kid all I remember is a girl and a guy and a bad lady who turned people into stone its an animated movie towards the end the girl tries to save the guy and he got turned into stone and there was little creatures not sure what they were but they weren't animals more I don't know the word but not gnomes either I think. that's all I remember please help me its driving me crazy

• Popular Music Masterpieces : 60 Best Albums   1 week 5 days ago

I think the first 3 Morphine albums (which the compilation doesn't represent well enough) are all great from start to finish. So I've listed them in Honorable Mentions.