• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 2 days ago

After revisiting Red House Painters self-titled/Rollercoaster, I'm surprised its not here. Didn't it used to be listed or am I mistaken?

• Favorite Rock Albums   1 week 3 days ago

Seeing your high rankings for artists such as Red House Painters, Nick Drake, The Velvet Underground's self-titled and Leonard Cohen, I'd strongly recommend Low's I Could Live in Hope. Also, you certainly can't go wrong with Trust and Long Division. All three are nearly and/or approximately as stunning as, say, Red House Painters' Rollercoaster.

• My Favorite Albums   1 week 3 days ago

Ever plan on updating this? You still around?

• Favorite ambient albums   1 week 3 days ago

Nice. I'd also recommend Peter Michael Hamel's Transition if you haven't heard it yet. Truly extraordinary, minimalist, ambient, contemplative and profound piano works with a climactic dose of pipe organ.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 4 days ago

Peter Michael Hamel's Transition is really amazing. Much of his piano-based art isn't too far from that of Anthony Davis, who is probably one of the five greatest jazz artists of all time and probably (easily) the most underrated. His greatest works (as far as I know) are strewn across my lists. The best starting point is probably Lady of the Mirrors, then Episteme. Lady of the Mirrors is available on YouTube and Tidido.com. Episteme is among his very difficult finds but is available on sociallymusic.com. You'll just need to piece together the tracks as they're out of order (the only drawback to an otherwise great site). His staggering masterpiece, Variations in Dreamtime, is also available on that site, which is a godsend because it is pretty much impossible to find in full aside from purchasing the vinyl LP. Variations in Dreamtime it is perhaps his most experimental, featuring advanced, free/improvised compositions that qualitatively and emotionally rival even Beethoven's late string quartets/piano sonatas. As a note, Davis is pretty much as much a classical artist as he is a jazz one.

• Favorite ambient albums   1 week 4 days ago

Yes, I heard that album a year ago and remember liking it back then. I'll probably add it whenever I get around to revisiting it.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 5 days ago

Re: Rusty ... Yeah, I'm a bit surprised it didnt at least get a little famous after Spiderland's rise around the late 90s/early 2000s.

Re: Bitch Magnet ... Ive only checked them out sparingly. Ill have to listen to their full albums.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 5 days ago

Those lyrics are hilarious though. And I don't mean that in a bad way.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   1 week 5 days ago

Rusty is such a brilliant album. Nice to see it here. I like the Seam, Earth and TITD albums a lot too but I have to agree that Rusty trumps them all. Such an overlooked gem.
    Are you into Bitch Magnet? Umber and Ben Hur fit right in with those albums.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 5 days ago

"they don't have much in the way of talent" Now you're just messing with me man :D
    Really though: for a band whose technical abilities resembled a bunch of guys who had just bought their first instruments, they created the best they could out of it (dig those meticulous cymbal crashes and the super tasteful bass melodies). Nobody did their thing before them despite the fact that practically everybody had the technical ability to. That's huge talent and vision right there.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 5 days ago

I actually said "awesomely worthless" as in, they don't have much in the way of talent but still made great music by making that part of their charm/modus operandi. Re: Aeroplane ... These days most critics seem to have given in to its singular, emotionally overwhelming sadness/shocked elation. Maybe Scaruffi will even fully submit at some point (though 7.5/10 from him is quite a bit higher than it would mean from most critics).

• Favorite 2016 Albums   1 week 6 days ago

I heard it a couple of hours ago. I wasn't sad enough to make it past track two. It sounded pretty good though. You like it?

• Favorite 2016 Albums   1 week 6 days ago

What do you think of the new Radiohead album?

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 6 days ago

"Beat on the brat / Beat on the brat / Beat on the brat with a baseball bat / Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh-oh" =)))

To be honest this is the first time I've heard someone call Ramones "worthless", but then again their music is exactly what made all the overblown double/triple "artistic" albums of early 70's obsolete. I'm all the way with you on Aeroplane, but good luck convincing all the "serious" critics to look past its simple surface.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 6 days ago

Cool, yeah who knows, maybe it will completely overwhelm you at some point, maybe not... Re: sometimes less is more... I agree, maybe Music For Airports is among the ultimate examples. Also, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, while such a lightning in the bottle that it's completely inimitable, is nevertheless relatively simple from a composition standpoint... I dig the Ramones too, probably not as much as you, but they were no doubt "awesomely worthless" ;-)

• Favorite ambient albums   2 weeks 40 min ago

How about Myths of the Near Future, Part 1 - Mo Boma (1994)?

A bit like a cross between Gabriel's Passion and Hassel's masterpieces.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 8 hours ago

In reply to Afterhours:

• The Greatest Albums Ever   2 weeks 8 hours ago

Bley's arrangements on Liberation Music Orchestra are truly wonderful. As far as arrangement goes, she's one of the very finest I've ever heard, reminding me of John Cale's magnificent and crucial contributions to Nico and VU albums. She really brings out the best in each composition. Her own compositions though... tbh I don't find them too impressive. The Bley-composed interludes on LMO are nice but have nothing on the Haden and Coleman compositions and Spanish folk songs (which she arranged almost perfectly). Her Escalator over the Hill compositions sound like simple platforms that enable her to create very ambitious and complex arrangements. This is where she reminds of Zappa: the impressive mathematics are canceled out by the lack of core substance (imagine all Escalator compositions stripped of arrangements and performed by a pianist) and the extremely high level of ambition and stylistic fusion (which is way above even Mingus, as you pointed out) reads as a general indifference toward the source material and a general lack of emotional investment in them. To me Escalator functions as a magnificent essay on the late 60's music, one of the most comprehensive and detailed ever. Still, a great essay about art is not necessarily a great piece of art in itself. All of this being said, I like the album a lot and maybe some day it'll end up in my top 20 like you. Who knows. Funny comparison: Ramones was a much more innovative album that launched the last great universal movement in rock music, and the band had no idea or intention about the impact that their "dumb" little album would have. It's been a decade and I still listen to that album for sheer pleasure and it still holds up like A Love Supreme or VU & Nico. Sometimes less is more.

• The Greatest Rock Band Poll   2 weeks 8 hours ago

I love Slint. Always wished they had more albums, although their members have done seriously amazing things in Tortoise, The For Carnation and other bands. Who would your 4 other choices be?

• The Greatest Rock Band Poll   2 weeks 21 hours ago

Shoot, I didn't know you could put more than one. I just put Slint, because I was so happy to see them on the list, and they are one of my personal favorite bands (especially for post rock). Great selection!

• Favorite Rock Albums   2 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks for the explanation. Spiderland is a stunning album and a very worthy choice. I'm very familiar with Scaruffi too. I too heard about many of the more obscure choices through his site/lists.

• Favorite Rock Albums   2 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks! I was updating my other lists so much that I had kept comments disabled, but they're enabled again. Thanks for letting me know.

I think Spiderland is my favorite, because for me, it has unlimited replay value. I've listened to it probably more than 200 times over the past two years, about twice a week. I just naturally did that, because I so often felt like hearing it. It got better and better after each listen, and it had a certain mystique that made me want to learn more about it. After a while I bought the remastered CD version, since it came with the "Breadcrumb Trail" documentary. Such a fascinating movie that helped contextualize the album... And yet I wanted to know more, so I read Scott Tennant's 33 1/3 of the album, which was also terrific. In the past two years, I've listened to Spiderland in all sorts of moods, and my interpretations of the lyrics have evolved a lot. Even though the album has introduced me to some more of my favorite bands, relatives of Slint such as Tortoise, The For Carnation, and Papa M, it remains a landmark album for me that I still listen to as often as I ever have.

I'm glad to see we have so much overlap in our lists! I heard about many of these albums from Scaruffi. Have you read his lists? While I respect his as proposed lists of "greatest" albums, mine is much more of a personal favorites that is not so concrete. I don't want to say that Slint is greater than Joanna Newsom or anyone; it's more based off of how much I listened to certain albums and how they've made me feel.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Haha! One big happy family :-)

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 4 days ago

And now for some really strange coincidences...... Television's Tom Verlaine dated Patti Smith, while their Richard Hell married Patty Smyth (some other new wave singer). Television replaced Hell on bass with Fred Smith (of Blondie) while Patti later married Fred Sonic Smith (of the MC5).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 4 days ago

Yea, LA Blues is more comparable to something off of Kick Out the Jams.