• Favorite Movies   1 day 9 hours ago

Sunrise is a must; one of the most perfect films ever made! And the films of Astaire/Rogers are dazzling; Arlene Croce has a great book about them.

Literature: The Scarlett Letter, Persuasion, Lady Chatterly's Lover, Anna Karenina, Swann's Way, Romeo & Juliet, Pride & Prejudice, Fathers & Sons, A Room with a View, Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Antony & Cleopatra, Middlemarch...

I've just realized how few I've read... no Flaubert, Balzac, Stendhal, Trollope, etc. I would note, perhaps needlessly, that I'm only listing books that are concerned with romantic love opposed to, for example, how Hawthorne defined a romance (the meeting of "the Actual and the Imaginary",) but that opens the flood gates too much.

Also don't neglect opera!... Aida, La Boheme, Tristan und Isolde, The Marriage of Figaro, Fidelio, La Traviata, Madame Butterfly, Carmen, etc.

D'you have any particular favourite romances (in any medium)?

• Best novels (that I've read)   1 day 10 hours ago

Define "guilty pleasure" :P

• Favorite Movies   1 day 10 hours ago

I've only seen City Lights from these -_- That one is definitely a masterpiece though. I'd say there are some notable recent ones as well: Annie Hall, Leaving Las Vegas, Punch-Drunk Love, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and the Before trilogy (though I haven't seen Before Midnight yet).

How about literature?

• Favorite Movies   1 day 10 hours ago

Being as conventional as possible about what constitutes a romance, so that my list does not get out of hand (I am excluding, for example, the homosocial Mikey and Nicky, and the bizarre I-don't-know-what's-going-on love of Eraserhead). I don't have any specialized knowledge of the genre, nor do I know how it's clearly defined, but here's what first comes to mind: Sunrise, L'Atalante, Top Hat, The Docks of New York, Sylvia Scarlett, The Merry Widow, City Lights, An American in Paris, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, Breathless, Gentlemen Prefer Blonde, Ali: Fears Eats the Soul, In A Lonely Place, Dust in the Wind... I have a fondness for those early Hollywood films. They don't make 'em like they used to.

• Favorite Albums   1 day 16 hours ago

Apparently, I need to revisit this Dysnomia album. You, Resident Ubu and gobble swear by it. Good gawd, it's up there above motherfucking A Love Supreme and above Velvet Underground and Nico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Among others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rock Bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop exclamming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There!!!

:-)

• Favorite Movies   1 day 18 hours ago

What are the best romantic works of art in your opinion?

• Favorite Albums   1 day 18 hours ago

ABBA's Greatest Hits--is that the 1992 "Gold" comp?

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   1 day 21 hours ago

Thanks! Funny, I read it that way anyhow :-) Re: wiki/MoMA info... another step closer... :-)

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   1 day 22 hours ago

*The Disasters of War, dammit! Silly typo.

German Post-Expressionism : The Art of the Great Disorder 1918–1924 corroborates Wikipedia, which says that Der Krieg was a portfolio of fifty etchings, suggesting the homogenity of the series.

MoMA's website: "The portfolio of prints was circulated throughout Germany via a pacifist organization, Never Again War, though Dix himself doubted that his prints could have any bearing on future wars."

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   1 day 22 hours ago

Thanks, I'll check those others out soon (including adding to my "recommended" list as long as you feel they're deserving). Can't immediately tell by the titles if I've already viewed them or not.

Re: Dix work ... If you find that Dix considered it one single work, please let me know. I dont have time at the moment to look into it but I am interested to know... Otherwise, I can look into it myself a little down the road... Regardless, a superb series...

Re: Rembrandt ... Agreed ... For Freud, I'm not sure; would have to look into him further (only cursory evaluations last year)

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   1 day 23 hours ago

It's a good question; I'm not sure where I stand. Due to its coherence I'm inclined to take it as one work, but I don't think one would be necessarily wrong to treat each etching as separate, either. I would also call The Disasters of Work a singular artwork, despite being executed over a course of ten years. Ditto A Rake's Progress. In all three cases there is an overaching unity, and the power of each individual work is amplified by its place in the larger cycle. There is also something to be said, of course, for artistic intention; the works were, from what I understand, intended to be experienced as a whole.

Perhaps I'm being arbitrary, though, because I do not at all see the self-portraits of Rembrandt, or Lucien Freud, as being a series.

Another favourite series: One Hundred Views of Mount Fuji.

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 days 2 hours ago

Thanks! Those are impressively gruesome/harrowing sketches. Ive considered adding them/"it" before but wasn't sure if it's considered "one" work?

• Greatest Paintings of All Time (in-progress)   2 days 3 hours ago

Love seeing numerous Otto Dix works here; I've been interested in Der Krieg lately, a horrifying series about the savagery of war.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 days 4 hours ago

Thanks, I may have heard that already but Ill toss it up there and give it a go!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 days 4 hours ago

Aha! Guess that's what I get for posting right before going to bed! That would be quite an album however!

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   3 days 6 hours ago

The four best from all countries represented by four or more jumpers:

AUSTRIA

THE BEST OF THE REST
    Simon Ammann, SWITZERLAND
    Andreas Küttel, SWITZERLAND
    Emmanuel Chedal, FRANCE
    Roberto Cecon, ITALY

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   3 days 6 hours ago

Jumpers climbing the list this season:

Kamil Stoch (Up 1 place, from 12 to 11)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 1 place, from 14 to 13)
    Severin Freund (Up 10 places, from 24 to 14)
    Peter Prevc (Up 7 places, from 26 to 19)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 6 places, from 37 to 31)
    Richard Freitag (Up 2 places, from 35 to 33)
    Jernej Damjan (Up 2 place, from 38 to 36)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 26 places, from 65 to 39)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 30 places, from 72 to 42)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 24 places, from 69 to 45)
    Taku Takeuchi (Up 1 place, from 48 to 47)
    Piotr Zyla (Up 5 places from 57 to 52)
    Rune Velta (Up 22 places, From 75 to 53)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 2 places from 56 to 54)
    Marinus Kraus (Up 10 places, from 83 to 73)
    Markus Eisenbichler (New on list, from xx to 85)

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   3 days 9 hours ago

Since Good and Yes are on your Greatest Albums list:

Cure for Pain - Morphine

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 days 12 hours ago

Oh, you took me seriously -_- I was actually pointing out that you'd written "Loveless" where you should've written "My Bloody Valentine". By the way, while we're on the topic, Isn't Anything is pretty cool (I myself remember it as a 7.5-8) and MBV is kinda dull overall, though some of the tracks are good.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 days 13 hours ago

Re: Isn't Anything ... Yeah, been one of my favorites for years but now seeming better than ever

Re: MBV ... I listened to it when it was released and thought it was "under-7/10"...

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2015)   3 days 13 hours ago

Nice to see you liked "Isn't Anything - Loveless". Have you checked out Loveless' self-titled?

• Best novels (that I've read)   3 days 22 hours ago

I think I might have a copy of The Portrait of a Lady lying around somewhere. James certainly has no shortage of admiring critics, I've just always been put off by him for some reason. Though come to think about it I felt the same way about Flaubert and Proust before I read them.

I remember reading the prelude of Middlemarch and being blown away by the sheer quality of the writing. If the rest of the book was like that I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the best books ever written. Maybe I'll give it ago this summer when I get some more free time. So many giant tomes to read, so little time.

• Favorite Albums   3 days 23 hours ago

I'm a big fan of minimalism so Dysnomia really sucked me in. Will have to give it a few more listens to see if it holds up, but I feel like it will.

I actually haven't heard Untitled--will remedy that shortly.

• Best novels (that I've read)   4 days 3 hours ago

The Golden Bowl is definitely at tricky starting place; I’d say the best point of entry for his dense, late writing is the short stories: "The Beast in the Jungle", "The Altar of the Dead", "The Figure in the Carpet", etc. The best work to begin with overall is probably The Portrait of a Lady. Incidentally, it has perhaps my favourite opening sentence ever… though I also love "Many years later, as he faced the firing squad…"

I have ambivalent feelings about Eliot myself--Adam Bede is a qualified success as far as debuts go, Silas Marner is a delightful fairy tale, Daniel Deronda is essentially two novels shoe-horned into one, one being brilliant, the other not so much--but Middlemarch is easily one of the best books ever written.

Thanks for the White Noise tip, I’ll have to give that and Bleak House a go.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   4 days 3 hours ago

Viet Cong's self titled is excellent btw! I am not sure about the rating yet, but first impression is between 7.2 & 7.5/10. I'll listen to it again as I am well aware that these things can change (for better and worse sometimes) upon further familiarity.