• 2016 Book Log   1 week 2 days ago

Oh another reader who read the kingkiller's chronicles! How did you find it?

• Fave literature   1 week 2 days ago

You should try it! :P

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 3 days ago

Re: Spotify account ... That sucks! Such a great resource... Another excellent site is Tidido.com -- which is relatively unknown. Between that and Spotify, I can find most of what Im looking for. I use YouTube if necessary as it sometimes has obscure recordings that I simply can't find elsewhere (such as Leo Smith's Mass on the World). Also, I can find pretty much anything (film or music or books) via my inter-library loan system which I'm not sure is available where you are. Only catch is that it sometimes takes weeks to receive so if my usual sources fail me, that's where I go.

Here's Liberation Music Orchestra via YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEigDG-tadUshVcV8QzQSQ1OBicrCGs8M

Its probably on Tidido.com too.

The album is extremely dynamic musically and compositionally, rising and falling in sweeping phases of coalescing instrumentation. Its instrumentation is largely assisted by Carla Bley (along with Mingus probably the greatest composer in jazz history), and it has some similarities to scores from masterpieces such as her Escalator Over the Hill (the non-vocal portions) and A Genuine Tong Funeral. It is also a precursor to some portions of Myra Melford's astonishing Even the Sounds Shine. Dont know if you've heard any of those for reference points.

It calls back to the Spanish Civil War and revisits the period in vibrant, evocative fashion. It seems to depict an evolution of intense, confusing, overwhelming battle sequences, alternated by touching scenes of hope and death and loss and overcoming obstacles and community. Visually, it might look something like the organized, meaningful chaos, compassion and folly of humanity as that of a Brueghel painting such as Triumph of Death (if it were instead depicting the Spanish Civil War).

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 3 days ago

Thank you, I go back and forth on which of those Residents works is best. Not Available is certainly more refined and composed but every bit as experimental/original.

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 3 days ago

Both low 8.2's before. Meet The Residents is fascinating because it alternates between showing the tragedy of post-hippie America as comic and the comedy of the same as tragic. Haven't heard Not Available yet.

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 3 days ago

Where were Piper and Meet the Residents rated/ranked before this update?

• Fave literature   1 week 4 days ago

Cool to see someone taking a shot at ratings for literature.

• Favorite albums of 2015   1 week 4 days ago

Wake up on the wrong side of the room this morning? As I said, I dont know if I want to dedicate the time to listening to it first unless he rates it high. Its a really long album and I tend to agree with him 90% of the time or so. Due to that I trust his ratings/rankings the most. Its about using my limited time efficiently, not about the formation of opinion. Currently, for jazz, I'm mainly trying to fill in my 8/10s+, hence my questions...

In any case, if its a throwback to those with conviction more than mere derivation, you're probably correct that Ill dig it.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 4 days ago

Looks like my sources don't have it. Can you PM me a link?
    Update: Listology's email system is apparently down and we can't receive emails. Please send it to amirkhosrobahadori@gmail.com

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 4 days ago

My Spotify account is screwed up up for some reason. I couldn't found a download for it either. Friends might have it so I'll keep an eye for it. How would you describe the album?

• Favorite albums of 2015   1 week 4 days ago

Jeez, it's OK to form your own opinions man. Who cares if Scaruffi doesn't like it. Are you just going to stop listening to new music when Scaruffi dies? Listen to a track or two from the album and if it resonates with you, listen to some more. If it doesn't, move on--simple as that. The Epic is a throwback to the music of Coltrane, McCoy Tyner and Sanders--if you like them you'll probably like The Epic.

• Favorite albums of 2015   1 week 4 days ago

I'm considering checking out Kamasi Washington's The Epic but am hesitant to devote the time to it before I see if Scaruffi rates it highly as well. In your opinion how does it compare qualitatively to other "spiritual jazz" greats such as Alice Coltrane's Ptah The El Doaud, McCoy Tyner's Extensions or Sahara, or even Pharoah Sanders' Karma, Keith Jarrett's Survivor' Suite or, the ultimate: Coltrane's A Love Supreme?

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Haha, great comparison!

I can't recommend Y enough, but I'm glad you've heard its most original track. Every track is startling in its own right.

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 5 days ago

just Thief of Fire - cool track, reminded me of James Brown and Beefheart collaborating on a cover of Simply Saucer's Illegal Bodies (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jli9L1gyI)

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Have you checked out Pop Group's Y?

• Jan Strach - Top Favorite Albums   1 week 5 days ago

Faust IV, Goat and Daydream Nation are three of my favorites too. What do you think of Faust's debut and Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising? Have you ever tried Glenn Branca's The Ascension (featuring Sonic Youths guitarists) ?

• My Favorite Music   1 week 5 days ago

What would you say makes Divers the best Joanna Newsom album and among the best ever?

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Re: overexposure ... yeah, it's the token "greatest jazz album of all time". As far as jazz goes, it's very easy to assimilate while also being very melodic and rewarding as well as having a certain perfection of form, so I can understand why it's the go-to album for such rankings. However, as much as I love it, I do find the ones I rate in the 8's, and especially 8.5's and 9's, quite a bit more transcendent.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Yeah, me too! I think most of them will probably stay within +/- 0.2 of their current rating, but some will move more. For instance, right now I'm strongly considering Liberation Music Orchestra for the 8.6-8.9/10-range. Franz Koglmann isn't one of the new ones but he is an artist I always feel like I'm underrating; his two works on my list are so ambiguous and comprehensive in their art that theyre pretty challenging to assimilate and rate confidently.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 3 days ago

At least you've loved it for 20 years, but nobody has to think it's perfect. It has certainly become one of the least exciting albums around due to over-exposure. I still think it's priceless, but only listen to it when I feel compelled to.

I'm really intrigued about these new jazz albums that you're listing. Interested to see where it goes a few months from now.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 3 days ago

Well, I definitely understand your sentiment: its an album Ive loved and been listening to for 20 years. But you might be underestimating what a 7.5/10 means to me. 7.3+ are all works I find emotionally and/or conceptually extraordinary, historical standouts as such. They're frequently albums that would get near or at the highest ratings by most standards. Kind of Blue is basically a perfect album of modal jazz. It has liberated, vibrant, beautifully felt performances and melodic architecture. It captures its title perfectly: always on the verge of full-tilt blues, hanging, suspended in that feeling. Its pretty much flawless at what its doing. From that perspective, its a 5-star, 10/10 masterpiece. For me, the albums above it are just more amazing/awe-inspiring emotionally/conceptually, even if no more or less flawless in their execution.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 weeks 3 days ago

No way. No way Kind of Blue deserves that rating.
    Seriously. Why?

• Favorite 2016 Albums   2 weeks 5 days ago

Ok cool, no worries.

• Complete filmography of the last 20 deceased Oscar nominated actors   2 weeks 5 days ago

• Favorite 2016 Albums   2 weeks 5 days ago

You're welcome. I have to say Animals is probably not close to the level of brilliance of This Heat. This Heat basically have the perfect discography: 2 classic LP's, one classic EP and they were out.