• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 5 hours ago

Add Casablanca to the list as well.

• Favorite albums   1 week 5 hours ago

I see. One reason I asked (apart from the fact that I think Faust is a very fascinating album) was that I was curious as to how come your ratings for albums are almost exactly the same as Scaruffi's, especially considering how unique your movies list is. Perhaps this is an unfair question.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   1 week 5 hours ago

It definitely is, probably a 7.5 for me. At the very least it must be one of the best pop albums of the year.

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 11 hours ago

... or Beginning to See the light, or What Goes On, or Some Kinda Love, or That's the Story of My Life, or Jesus.

Am I correct in thinking that the last time you listened to the Velvets' third was years ago?

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 16 hours ago

Cool, I didn't know that, thanks for the historical insight. Makes a lot of sense that they were so closely linked.

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 21 hours ago

VU/Reed-Cohen has always been clear to me..both coming froma street-savvy ascetic purity..a ittle history of their connection...Cohen met Reed in 1967 and was surpised to learn that Reed had a copy of his poetry book, not yet released in the US!...Around this time (May?), Cohen, Reed, and Jackson Browne alternated in backing Nico on guitar in her early solo concerts. Cohen's early songs already existed as poems and as covers by others by the time he recorded them (August), but maybe the recordings were influenced by Reed or by Nico's debut Chelsea Girls (keep in mind that the third Velvets album was recorded 15 months later though). Cohen clashed with producer John Simon over the inclusion of strings and drums somewhat like how Nico hated Tom Wilson's overdubs on her album (May), both albums being very modest in all other reapects. Years later Reed gave a touching R&R HOF induction speech for Cohen (granted he mostly read his lyrics!)

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 21 hours ago

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic but, you're right, I am very busy all the time... but to me, similarities are clear and don't need explanation. In any case: VU's folk and Cohen's are practically the same genre, played and sung in similar ways. They're both shy, introverted, acoustic folk sung solemnly, with particularly ascetic dearths of arrangement/embellishment, simplicities of form and execution. They're both slow and sad, the songs (more so Cohen's) are each sung as if in a static spiritual prayer, watching life hopelessly pass by.

Regards to Tonight's the Night, there's a redemptive striving towards a moral/religious salvation with each album. They both have a nocturnal, late night feel to them. They are both sung in funereal tones, in minor keys -- almost constantly. Of course, Young is quite a bit more demonstrative with his vocals than Reed (or Tucker).

Of course, none of this is to say that any of the content from these albums resembles VUs Murder Mystery!

• Best Movies of the 1990's   1 week 1 day ago

I'd probably say either Millers Crossing or Fargo is their best work, though they have several excellent films -- very consistent filmmakers, and yes, like you said: Their diversity is quite impressive.

Based on what Ive read/heard/seen, there's probably a good chance you're right about the "Sunrise" series.

• Favorite albums   1 week 1 day ago

It's not possible yet for me to explain, but it took a while for me to get it.

• Favorite albums   1 week 1 day ago

What makes Faust the #3 best rock album for you?

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 1 day ago

I was hoping that you'd explain how they're fundamentally similar (Cohen's and Young's albums in particular), specially since I don't hear it and nobody I know hears it either, except for you of course.

Still, I understand you're living a busy life. No need to hurry ;-)

• Best Movies of the 1990's   1 week 1 day ago

I've only watched two of Coens' movies, that one and No Country for Old Men, and they're both so different in mood that I'm kinda impressed with how the Coens managed to pull off both so well.

Before Sunrise is definitely worth checking out, along with Before Sunset (haven't seen the third one yet), though considering what I know about your taste, I doubt you would rate them above 7/10 (or at most a low 7.5).

• Music Ratings & Notes   1 week 1 day ago

Songs like Pale Blue Eyes seem to be precursor's/contemporaries to Cohen's art. Along with songs such as Candy Says, they were humming pretty close to the slo-core genre of 20+ years later. They're certainly closer to Low (Trust and I Could Live in Hope particularly), the rest, including Tonight's the Night have fundamental and emotional similarities but if you don't see it that's fine.

• Best Movies of the 1990's   1 week 1 day ago

Nice list, Big Lebowski is hilarious, one of Coen's best. I don't believe I've seen Before Sunrise (or any of the series).

• 25 Favorite Albums of the 2010s   1 week 1 day ago

Good to hear :-) I'll have to give Ekstasis a shot sometime soon

• List of Oscar nominated actors and actresses by date of death   1 week 2 days ago

Movies with two or more of the above actors:

Moulin Rouge (1952) Theodore Bikel/Colette Marchand
    HealtH (1980) - Lauren Bacall/James Garner
    The Fan (1981) - Lauren Bacall/James Garner
    My Fellow American (1996) - Lauren Bacall/James Garner

Available on Netflix for the ten last
    Bold means Oscar nominated role
    Bold caps means Oscar winning role
    * means recommended movie

- The Night of the Grizzly, 1966
    - The Sons of Katie Elder, 1965 *
    - Houseboat, 1958 *
    - Sabrina, 1954 *
    - Down Three Dark Streets, 1954

• Favorite albums   1 week 2 days ago

Morphine's Good is about the construction of what is considered good and bad and about cultural relativism. Empathy causes us to recognize an inherent social framework for morality based on what others feel. In this framework one can find a statement like "Shoot a crack dealer down" justifiable (which it is), or not (which it is). "The other side" is the imaginary location of moral disagreement. In a minor way "The Only One" is a perverse justification for relativism (based on empathy), perverse by comparison with its being romantic at the same time.

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   1 week 2 days ago

No, but I'll check it out if it's any good.

• Best books (that I've read)   1 week 2 days ago

I'm reading The Selfish Gene right now. It doesn't have the impressive scope of The Ancestor's Tale but it's still quite good and provocative. I'm not a person who needs to be convinced that evolution is true so I doubt I'll ever read any of his anti-religion books.

• Best books (that I've read)   1 week 2 days ago

to Marquee: I don't think the reader is supposed to relate to Holden, so I don't really let my opinion of Holden get in the way of my enjoyment.

to gobble: Agreed with you about all of those.

• Best books (that I've read)   1 week 2 days ago

What do you think of Dawkins' other books?

• Best albums of 2015 (so far)   1 week 2 days ago

Have you checked out The Go! Team's The Scene Between?

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2015   1 week 3 days ago

Update 20

We only had 1 change. Dashforcover rose to take 4th alone pushing McJoJo to 5th. Good jobs all.

As a group we logged 110 movies in the week for a total of 3958 films. For the next update on 26 July, the numbers for 1 and 2 films per day are 207 and 414, respectively. Happy viewing and see you next week! God willin' and creek don't rise.

• Best albums of 2013   1 week 5 days ago

It's possible :P

Pretty sure I found out about the Dirty Beaches record indirectly through your lost, though I saw it at a local record shop a few times as well. Good stuff.