• Greatest Post-Punk Songs   1 week 3 days ago

Listen to Academy Fight Song and Max Ernst by Mission of Burma.

• Movies Watched in 2016 (First time viewed)   1 week 5 days ago

Fair enough. Thanks.

• Cryptic crosswords completed in 2016   1 week 5 days ago

X

• Favorite ambient albums   1 week 5 days ago

It's a cool album for sure, but I think that it fit more nicely into the freeform jazzy side of music than with ambient, although there are certainly similarities between the two, specifically the first side of the album. It has a very evocative soundscape.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 5 days ago

Re: Hip hop music ... Thank you for the suggestions

Re: Guernica ... I was in a rush when I typed and baroque was perhaps a bad word choice for description. I meant the part of the definition that implies: "the juxtaposition of contrasting elements often conveying a sense of drama, movement, and tension". Unsettled refers to that, and how the characters all seem mid-movement/mid-pain/mid-death and with fates/ends that are uncertain/in suspense.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   1 week 6 days ago

There were some other favorites that slipped my mind, but whatever. To my knowledge, since you haven't listened to any of these songs recently (or if ever), you should check them out when you have the chance, as I think they're pretty impressive: Wake Up (Rage Against the Machine), Can It Be All So Simple? (Wu-Tang), Fields (Danny Brown), Scrap or Die (Danny), Lonely (Danny), Birdflu (MIA) and Steppin' Up (MIA). I don't know if I'd exactly say it's impressive, but it's at least interesting.

About Guernica: Before starting, I have to say your observations of the painting seem instinctual and obvious after being exposed to them, but I can't say I wouldn't realized them by myself (at least, until I have more experience with understanding art). I especially like the comparison to Psycho's shower scene. As of now, the only thing I'm trying to make sense of is the observation about the subjects' positions and movements being baroque and unsettled.

Yeah, the "multiple viewpoints" thing was the painting's incorporation of Cubism. I'll have to re-view the picture to better understand the significance of the background and the triangulation I never really paid much attention to.

• The 100 best skijumpers of the 21st century   2 weeks 6 hours ago

Jumpers climbing the list this season:

Simon Ammann (Up 1 place, from 4 to 3)
    Severin Freund (Up 3 places, from 12 to 9)
    Noriaki Kasai (Up 1 place, from 13 to 12)
    Peter Prevc (Up 3 places, from 17 to 14)
    Jakub Janda (Up 1 place, from 25 to 24)
    Roman Koudelka (Up 2 places, from 30 to 28)
    Richard Freitag (Up 3 places, from 32 to 29)
    Stefan Kraft (Up 4 places, from 36 to 32)
    Michael Hayböck (Up 6 places, from 42 to 36)
    Anders Fannemel (Up 1 place, from 40 to 39)
    Jurij Tepes (Up 1 place, from 47 to 46)
    Andreas Wellinger (Up 9 places, from 57 to 48)
    Kenneth Gangnes (New on list, from xx to 61)
    Andreas Wank (Up 3 places, from 70 to 67)
    Johann Andre Forfang (New on list, from xx to 70)
    Manuel Fettner (Up 1 place, from 72 to 71)
    Andreas Stjernen (Up 7 places, from 86 to 79)
    Daniel Andre Tande (New on list, from xx to 85)

• Film Log   2 weeks 7 hours ago

...never!? Maybe this should be archived.

I haven't been watching many films lately, but a grip of favourites are playing in my local theatre in the coming months (Tokyo Story, Breathless, Wings of Desire, Stalker (!)... Kiarostami(!!!)). Maybe that will get me back into the swing of things, and I'll resume marking some stray observations. Have you seen anything particularly noteworthy lately, worth recommending?

• Year-by-year music rankings, for the sake of nothing more than organization on my own behalf   2 weeks 11 hours ago

I've been watching Eyedea's battles on YouTube. The guy's a monster. I saw dozens and in he lost in just one of them, a friendly battle in a party to Murs. I'm listening to Murs' The End of the Beginning right now. Great record.

I have high hopes for Eyedea and Abilities albums and Facy Candy'a debut.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 23 hours ago

For me there is no separate distinction. What I list are the albums I enjoy the most and have had the most amazing experiences with. There are hundreds of 6s, 6.5s, 7s that I don't list that I like almost as much or (in regards to the unlisted 7s), just as much as the small group of 7s I have placed on my "Pop" list.

My "Top 10 of the Week" list shows how, even though Beethovens 9th or Mahlers 9th or Citizen Kane or The Sistine Chapel or Black Saint and the Sinner Lady or Trout Mask Replica are my favorite works ever in their respective fields, there are many weeks throughout the year that I am (temporarily) more into some other, lesser rated work.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 1 day ago

This distinction between "favorite" and "greatest" also interests me. How do you feel about "favorite" music being different from what one considers "the greatest"? A correlated question (maybe too personal?): is your music listening entirely dedicated and restricted to your "greatest albums" project or do you have random favorite music you listen to for pleasure or interest, not even caring about the ratings?

• Film Log   2 weeks 1 day ago

When is this going to be updated?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 1 day ago

Re: Your favorite hip hop songs ... Excellent picks!

Re: Guernica ... Looking forward to your thoughts.

• Complete filmography of Oscar nominated directors   2 weeks 2 days ago

_The Getting of Wisdom
    _Don's Party
    _Side by Side
    _Barry McKenzie Holds His Own
    _The Adventures of Barry McKenzie

_INGMAR BERGMAN (1918-2007)
    _Fanny and Alexander ("Fanny och Alexander")
    _Autumn Sonata ("Höstsonaten")
    _The Serpent's Egg ("Ormens ägg")
    _Face to Face ("Ansikte mot ansikte")
    Cries and Whispers ("Viskningar och rop")
    _The Touch ("Beröringen")
    _The Passion of Anna ("En passion")
    _Shame ("Skammen")
    _Hour of the Wolf ("Vargtimmen")
    _Persona
    _All These Women ("För att inte tala om alla dessa kvinnor")
    The Silence ("Tystnaden")
    Winter Light ("Nattvardsgästerna")
    _Through a Glass Darkly ("Såsom i en spegel")
    _The Devil's Eye ("Djävulens öga")
    _The Virgin Spring ("Jungfrukällan")
    _The Magician ("Ansiktet")
    _So Close to Life ("Nära livet")
    _Wild Strawberries ("Smultronstället")
    _The Seventh Seal ("Det sjunde inseglet")
    _Smiles of a Summer Night ("Sommarnattens leende")
    _Dreams ("Kvinnodröm")
    _A Lesson in Love ("En lektion i kärlek")
    _Sawdust and Tinsel ("Gycklarnas afton")
    _Summer with Monika ("Sommaren med Monika")
    _Waiting Women ("Kvinnors väntan")
    _Summer Interlude ("Sommarlek")
    _This Can't Happen Here ("Sånt händer inte här")
    _To Joy ("Till glädje")
    _Thirst ("Törst")
    _Prison ("Fängelse")
    _Port of Call ("Hamnstad")
    _Music in Darkness ("Musik i mörker")
    _A Ship Bound for India ("Skepp till India land")
    _It Rains of Our Love ("Det regnar på vår kärlek")
    _Crisis ("Kris")

_John and Mary
    Bullitt
    _Robbery
    _One Way Pendulum
    _Summer Holiday

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 2 days ago

For me, I differentiate favorites and songs I think are the best; and, my favorites are always everchanging, so I don't think I could make a list of them (unless I was willing to update it constantly, but that's not for me).

Some of my favorites, though: Klink, The Fever and Hacker (Death Grips); Cold Lampin' With Flavor and Night of the Living Baseheads (Public Enemy); Dark Fantasy, Power, Hell of a Life and Spaceship (Kanye), Wesley's Theory, Institutionalized, u and i (Kendrick); and definitely Iron Galaxy (Cannibal Ox).

Thank you for the detailed analysis of Guernica. I'll read it later when I have the chance.

• Films Seen in 2016   2 weeks 2 days ago

Hi MaxCastle. It's been some years, but can we welcome you again at the Scoreboard? If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• Critics Ranked and Reviewed   2 weeks 2 days ago

Yeah, I agree, those ones are quite good

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   2 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   2 weeks 3 days ago

Count me in.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Re: How to appreciate paintings. Am I supposed to stare at it a bunch of times until I get it? ... Not really, unless staring also means actively observing the various elements of the work. Assimilating paintings is different from artist to artist. With most paintings I am first looking at the overall picture, its forms, what the artist is showing. I am looking at the color choices and the overall visual type. Is it visually unique/transcendent? Are the colors realistic? Surrealistic? I am getting up close with it and scouring the work and looking over the technique(s) applied to its various forms. If brush strokes are clearly evident, I am examining brush strokes/small groups of brush strokes and noting the emotional quality of them. Determining this can go many ways. For instance, in Van Gogh one can see his strokes are rough, cluttered, as if anxiously and obsessively forced upon the canvas. His forms are "over-painted" (with obsessive, thick strokes, obsessive mashes of colors). He emancipated color in that his application is very vivid and wildly, glaringly, abnormal. He seemed to view the world through a near-surreality or madness. Through an obsessive effort to force his visualizations to stand out. His visuals are never serene or purely beautiful; there is always a tremendous struggle and a maddening, "beautiful-ugliness" to them (pretty colors are chosen but they are mismatched with garish colors and forms). One can combine such observations with the emotion(s)/concept(s) of the overall picture itself and get an excellent emotional/conceptual grasp of the whole work.

Re: Guernica and Earthly Delights... It would take too long to explain in detail the significance of Garden of Earthly Delights, and Ill save such a project for when I post a review/analysis of the work ... With Guernica, I'm not going to go into much extraordinary detail at this time, but I will cover some key points: one could start with how Picasso has removed many details from what a real picture of the scene would've looked like. He has forcibly collided the characters into a confusing fission of violence/pain. He has turned the characters into wretched physical specimens, contorting their bodies into ugly, torn, twisted forms. His characters are vibrantly expressive cartoons that one could say represents the spirit/personality of an actual person that was there as opposed to a realistic rendition. He has made the painting black and white to represent bombed, ashen death, to represent a scene from the black and white clippings of newspapers. He has imprinted this media upon portions of the characters bodies (represented by the print-like lines on certain body parts and so forth). The characters' bodies are drawn in forms that are made of strong lines, angles, sudden changes in form/shape and bodily contortions. They are overlapping parts of the scene, objects, eachother, alternatively both shadowed and lit, so that their positions and movement are baroque and unsettled. As one views them, one can view them from "multiple viewpoints" -- they are presented from multiple angles simultaneously. Because each character's position and action are not completely clear, and mixed with one another, one can view them in a variety of positions/movements at once -- especially in the triangular middle of the picture. Different perspectives coexist all at the same time. The picture is being shown/seen from many different angles/perspectives in one single "shot" -- all of them exist on a single plane of existence but are each -- within that -- also in their own planes of existence. The scene contorts space and time into its own sense of (sur)reality. The scene is akin to a cinematic shock-montage, as if frames of its action are missing, interrupted by "jump cuts", montage editing (see Hitchcock's famous shower scene from Psycho for an excellent example of what I mean). This sense of broken movement increases its sense of shock, terror, and sudden, forced, startled circumstance. Meanwhile the background, foreground and middle ground are each collapsed into one unit with surreal dimensions, making the characters seem even more multi-dimensional and vibrant against the space, in its comparison. Additionally, each character seems to be metaphors for both Picasso's personal life and public outcry and political feelings, as well as various elements of the picture, such as the "pyramid" triangulation of its middle section and the flashing "eye" of light at the top of the "pyramid". With both political and personal metaphors in mind (which I won't cover here in great detail, but one can research and draw his own conclusions) each character seems to be "two-faced" representing both the bombed victims, the trials and tribulations of Picasso's personal life and the wicked evil that caused the massacre, simultaneously. This grants additional meaning and power to the element of viewing each of them from simultaneous, varying angles. We are viewing the tragedy through Picasso's state of mind upon observing/learning about it: his personal struggles, the tragic bombing itself, the political enemies that caused it, flashing in montage for him/all to see, a sudden wave of colliding trauma all at once.

You can also learn a bit more about my analysis of paintings on my Greatest Paintings of All Time pages which feature some analysis on certain selections. The Mona Lisa one is the most extensive.

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   2 weeks 4 days ago

Update #02 (18 January - 18 days): We welcome two new players this week (none of them are new to the game), which means there are 21 players at this second update.
    Danvers fell out of the group of players with more than 1 film/day, there are 6 left (te18, mightysparks, dahsforcover, Puzzgal, julesyoung and myself). The first three of that list had an average of 2 films/day at the first update. They're still in that group and are joined, at this update, by Puzzgal. Leader of the pack te18 has seen 48 films.
    As a group we logged 172 films, for a total of 360. (This means 0.952 films/player/day.)
    I saw 18 films and climbed from 6th to 5th place.

• 2016: Watched   2 weeks 4 days ago

Hi rwebb. It's been a while but can we welcome you again at the Scoreboard? If so, please post a comment on the Scoreboard page. Thanks!

• Films Seen: Listology Scoreboard 2016   2 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Re: Favorite rap tracks ... Hmmm, good question, I haven't thought about that much in an organized fashion but those that come to mind would be the Dalek album I have listed (which is all 1 track), Kim (Eminem), the long last track of Paul's Boutique (Beastie Boys), The Blacker the Berry and U (Kendrick Lamar), maybe Power (Kanye West), 2 or 3 from Takes a Nation of Millions ... Maybe some Rage Against the Machine, some Outkast ... But yeah Id really have to attempt an organized listing of them with the track titles at hand before I could give a better answer.

Re: Paintings ... Will respond soon...

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 weeks 4 days ago

Understood, I pretty much agree with what you've got here, including that my lists -- more often than not -- reward more challenging music over basic, simpler forms. I dont have anything against basic, simpler music as there are several listed examples. I just tend to favor music that expresses itself in modes that exhibit greater experience and thought with its subject, and more involved, immersive musical environments and emotional range/expressiveness, and I've found fewer albums in simpler formats that accomplish this to the standards/criteria I'm looking for. Its just what I like and that's all I can rate based off of with any personal integrity :-)

My ratings/rankings are not intended as invalidations of simpler albums or albums below 7/10. They're simply exhibiting what I think are the best of the best. One might notice that I don't list and rarely convey what I dont like or even those I find lower than a 7/10, as I dont generally find much purpose in invalidating the art of others.