user warning: Table './listology/profile_values' is marked as crashed and should be repaired query: SELECT f.name, f.type, v.value FROM profile_fields f INNER JOIN profile_values v ON f.fid = v.fid WHERE uid = 0 in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/listology.com/modules/profile/profile.module on line 229.
  • POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 hour 7 min ago

Back in the USSR
    Glass Onion
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun
    Blackbird
    Rocky Raccoon
    Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
    Julia
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Helter Skelter
    Long, Long, Long
    Honey Pie
    Cry Baby Cry
    Revolution 9
    Good Night

15 songs, ha. I'm not sure this would be much better than the original though. A better idea would be to make some minor changes, like replacing Birthday with Lady Madonna and Revolution 1 with the single version. Maybe cut Yer Blues or Wild Honey Pie and add The Inner Light in their place as well?

• Favorite Music   1 hour 27 min ago

2014-07-04: 136 accounts, 01 comments
    2014-07-03: 174 accounts, 01 comments
    2014-07-02: 100 accounts, 01 comments <= honeypot started at 5pm
    2014-07-01: 158 accounts, 00 comments, 13 pages
    2014-07-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• Most Underappreciated Rock Albums   1 day 31 min ago

Starsailor and Uncle Meat are terribly underrated. I have seen Starsailor get some recognition from time to time (not as much as it deserves but still beter than total obscurity). Uncle Meat is one of the albums on Scaruffi‘s list and that has helped it become one of Zappa‘s most popular albums (his other albums are still underappreciated unfortunately, and IMO some of them are equal to or even better than Uncle Meat). That’s why I have not included these two albums here. I only list virtually unknown albums here.

Other than Serge Gainsbourg and Magma, I have no idea about french rock music. What french albums do you think should be included here ?

• Favorite Music   1 day 3 hours ago

Write {span class="gray"} before the gray text and {/span} after it (use <> instead of {}, I changed them so they wouldn't work on my comment)

• Lead Singers That No Girl Has A Crush On   1 day 4 hours ago

I'm honestly going to disagree with Patrick stump

• Most Underappreciated Rock Albums   1 day 8 hours ago

I still have lots of 'music considered under-appreciated' to listen to, but so far, Tim Buckley's Starsailor and Frank Zappa's Uncle Meat get my vote(s).

And/or also the discographies of French artists that are very little known in America, i.e. Alain Bashung or Francoise Hardy. It's good to know the latter is getting a little better-known, though, since her songs are being featured in more movies and television than before.

• Favorite Music   1 day 8 hours ago

How do you put the artist's name in gray text like in this post and the "Rock Masterpieces" one?

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 day 8 hours ago

I think sometimes I'd want to replace "I Will" with "Revolution 9."

• POLL: Which 14-songs would you want on a single-disc White Album?   1 day 13 hours ago

Mine would be:

Yer Blues
    Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    Helter Skelter
    Cry Baby Cry
    Revolution 9
    Good Night

Still, I prefer the double album to my own selection. The diversity of the double album is really appealing to me, it's more entertaining that way, and basically most of the songs are fillers anyway.

• Beatles' Middle Era ('65-'67) -- Songs from Best to Worst   1 day 20 hours ago

A little later, most likely. I like the Beatles' middle era albums so much that I'll very rarely listen to their non-album stuff.

But hopefully within the next few days.

• Beatles' Late Era ('68-'70) -- Songs from Best to Worst   1 day 21 hours ago

The non-album singles ranking is spot-on!

• Beatles' Middle Era ('65-'67) -- Songs from Best to Worst   1 day 21 hours ago

Are you gonna include non-album tracks from the same era as well as you did with the late era list?

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   2 days 18 min ago

It's a process of elimination. I don't expect all the candidates to stick as I blitz my way through re-watching the films. I simply put any candidate that had a decent chance to correspond closely. But as I re-watch them, the numbers that are truly close candidates will very likely dwindle to a select few or less. The ones with the most candidates tend to be the ones I am least certain about, but I am hoping to be more decisive with those by the time I've made my way back through the films.

• Seen from AFI's 100 Greatest American Films   2 days 5 hours ago

Yeah, AFI's lists have always been kind of meh for me too. They're known for including several films on their lists that aren't quite as respected today as they were before (i.e. 'Star Wars' ahead of '2001,' 'The Graduate' ahead of 'The Third Man'). Multiple other Welles films should be in there too.

I would recommend the top 100 lists of Sight & Sound or They Shoot Pictures for better, more comprehensive viewing guides.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   2 days 6 hours ago

Umm... yea... :)

• Why American Beauty is the Best Film Ever Made   2 days 8 hours ago

No no you missed the undertones of the movie straight from the start. He talks to Ricky about how homosexuals are shameless and Ricky tells them that's because they think they have nothing to be ashamed off. If you watch that carefully you can already see the Col. acting shifty and uncomfortable, also he is in a loveless marriage and we suspect he has been suppressing his sexuality for a long time. Also the fact he is so venehement against homosexuality opens up the possibility of him being homosexual. He didn't just dismiss them as homosexuals, he also had a hard time letting it go. Also there is an alternative theory my friend threw at me which might be more suitable for you, he suggested that the Col. thought Lestor was a pedophile who was taking advantage of Ricky so he decided to test him by offering himself (an older male) and then killing Lestor (for his son's apparent shame and because Lestor did try to have underage sex anyway. I don't agree with that view because it's a bit of a stretch. It's been like 10 years but fuck it, thought I'd clear it up.

• Comparing the Best Albums to the Best Films -- Corresponding Works of Art [IN PROGRESS]   2 days 8 hours ago

I don't quite Sea Y you would do that.

(Sorry.)

• Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time   2 days 8 hours ago

"Americans don't care much for British acts do they. Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard normally place top 5ish in British polls but here theyre":) British humour is a bit dry i think but I agree with you. I definitely think Kevin James needs to be there -- Dane Cook is also missing therealso his standup his hilarious but all in all this is a good list I must say even though there are at least 5 comedians that should be there and some positions should be exchanged its pretty spot on

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   2 days 13 hours ago

Definitely. I'm seriously considering putting it on the "best" section of my list, but I want to make sure it holds up for at least a few more weeks before I do.

• 0008 - They Shoot Pictures Don't They Top 1000 Films Ranked   2 days 21 hours ago

It was the latest entry, just saw it yesterday.

• 0008 - They Shoot Pictures Don't They Top 1000 Films Ranked   3 days 3 hours ago

Why is Taxi Driver highlighted?

• Every Concert I've Attended   3 days 4 hours ago

I'm writing in regard to the 2/8/1987 - Big Black / Blatant Dissent - Eagle's Club - Chicago, IL show as I'm working on a Big Black live guide. (http://tokvev.com/bigblack)
    I was wondering if you might have any photos, ticket stubs, flyers, recordings etc... from the show in question as up until now I haven't seen any document of it taking place. There are quite a few gaps in the guide and any information about previously undocumented shows is quite exciting and helpful.

Hope to hear from you!

All the best,
    Chris

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 days 5 hours ago

Wow, I love discoveries like that. Sounds like I should get on it!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   3 days 6 hours ago

If Tommy's an 8, and Who's Next is an 8.5, then Quadrophenia is no less than a 9 imo. After listening to it a few times this weekend, I can't believe how good it is.