• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 day 8 hours ago

I can see why you might consider them self-indulgent. Bley and Zappa have composed at least equally elaborate and complexly organized compositions as the artists you named. They're all pretty much in the same class to these ears. Bley's works still sound completely revolutionary, even if that revolution hasn't caught on too much and is still ahead of its time (in other words, I think we agree that she didn't really achieve widespread influence...). Few are aware that she beat Davis to the punch by 2 years with regards to jazz-rock fusions (Genuine Tong Funeral). Escalator Over the Hill far surpassed even Mingus' greatest ambitions (doesn't mean it's "better" than Black Saint) in matching/surpassing the compositional audacity, scope and emotional outpouring of the greatest classical works. I'm really glad you're digging Liberation Music Orchestra. Another one of Bley's greatest contributions.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   2 days 2 hours ago

I have lots of lists of films I'm planning to see at one time or another (mostly another). This is just all those lists combined, making it easier for me to search while reading tv programs or new additions to Netflix.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   2 days 2 hours ago

It works! Thanks. And yes, I'm from "outside the US". I'd say Bley (and Zappa) is an acquired taste for someone without much knowledge and interest in avant-jazz and polystylism. On the other hand, they can sound rather simple and self-indulgent (specially Zappa) compared to Coltrane, Coleman, Mingus, Beefheart, VU, Monk, Davis and quite a few other experimental musicians who shaped the future of jazz and rock with their best work. Considering the bigger picture, I think they found and developed their own specific niches rather than being musical leaders whose work could achieve widespread influence and fundamentally-redefine future music in the sense of structure and purpose. I have to say I'll probably end up agreeing with you about Liberation Music Orchestra deserving a place on my list though. I'm listening to it right now. It's a really amazing piece of work.

• The Greatest Albums Ever   2 days 5 hours ago

Maybe you get something different where your from (outside the US?), but the links work fine from my end. Here it is on Tidido.com: http://tidido.com/a35184372148665/al54071a53196deee83f8df3dd

Hopefully it works, but if not, oh well...

Yes, Bley (and Zappa) is certainly an acquired taste...

• The Greatest Albums Ever   2 days 6 hours ago

Man this is taking too long to find. Apparently the YouTube link doesn't work and Tidido doesn't have that album but has others (great website btw, thanks for letting me know about it). So far I've liked like all the stuff I've heard by Charlie Haden. Hope I find Liberation Music Orchestra soon.

About your reference points: I dig Even the Sounds Shine a lot. Carla Bley on the other hand has never been one of my favorite artists, although I acknowledge her as a great composer in her own right. Escalator leaves me a bit cold the way a lot Zappa's albums do. Both have a knack for implementing small ideas on grand scales, resulting in music that constantly sounds a bit impersonal (specially in Zappa's case) despite all the different dynamics and stylistic fusions and whatnot. Credit is due for being among the very first to do this kind of polystylism, but not for being the best at it.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   2 days 8 hours ago

Well, that's just no fair!

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   2 days 8 hours ago

Netflix doesn't have a DVD delivery service where I live. I suspect some of these movies are available on either Youtube or the Internet Archive, I haven't looked through there yet.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   2 days 9 hours ago

The Quite Duel is on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZRkhInBaE I just watched a few days ago.

• Movies I'm waiting for on Netflix/TV/somewhere   2 days 9 hours ago

This is why I subscribe to the DVD delivery service. Many of these titles are available there. I caught myself thinking "I own that, I own that" and then realized that won't do YOU any good!

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 9 hours ago

Re: # listens ... It varies from work to work. I often rate something pretty immediately and then it could change a few times after some more listens before settling into a rating that is more stable.

Often I'm accurate or very close after the first listen or two but of course there are exceptions, particularly with longer, denser albums or especially challenging/unique ones.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 10 hours ago

Makes sense, thanks

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 10 hours ago

I might only post one with an average rating between highest and lowest potential if I were uncertain (such as a completely new rating) -- and I do that from time to time after first listens of albums/songs. Generally speaking though, I am absurdly meticulous and the ratings are intended to be very exact, not at all placed where they are by accident or rough averages.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   4 days 10 hours ago

Say you bumped something up from 7.5 to 7.6...would that mean that there have been many recent listens at 7.7+ (averaging down to 7.6 given the long-standing 7.5)..or does it mean a WHOLE LOT of listens at an actual 7.6?

• Fave literature   1 week 5 hours ago

Maybe, maybe not. It's not my priority right now but maybe I'll get into it at a later point.

Relative completeness ... in other words: when I feel more complete about my lists and they're all caught up to a satisfactory degree. Not an illusion really, but maybe the idea of reading all those novels and poetry would be for me...

• Top 200 critically acclaimed movies from the last 5 years   1 week 16 hours ago

Update 26/4-16:
    Out Don Jon - In The Jungle Book
    Out Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me - In Sing Street

Update 18/4-16:
    Out The End of the Tour - In Captain America: Civil War

Update 14/4-16:
    Out 45 Years - In Victoria
    Out Frances Ha - In Zootopia

Update 1/4-16:
    Out Furious 7 - In Marguerite
    Out Mississippi Grind - In Remember

Update 26/2-16:
    Out Seymour: An Introduction - In Embrace of the Serpent ("El abrazo de la serpiente")
    Out Side By Side - In A War ("Krigen")

Update 16/1-16:

Out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - In Bless Me, Ultima
    Out Footnote - In Cloud Atlas
    Out The Guard - In Prometheus
    Out Monsieur Lazhar - In Searching for Sugar Man
    Out Martha Marcy May Marlene - In Under the Skin
    Out 50/50 - In Goodnight Mommy
    Out Shame - In We Are the Best!
    Out Margaret - In Into the Woods

Out The Interrupters - In Spy

Update 3/12-15:
    Out Locke - In Creed
    Out X-Men: Days of Future Past - In The Danish Girl
    Out Blancanieves - In Bridge of Spies
    Out Good Kill - In Carol
    Out Joe - In Son of Saul ("Saul Fia")

Update 28/11-15:
    Out 99 Homes - In Spotlight
    Out Parkland - In Brooklyn
    Out Tracks - In A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence ("En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron")

Update 5/11-15:
    Out A Hijacking ("Kapringen") - In Steve Jobs
    Out The Lunchbox ("Dabba") - In Room

Update 28/10-15:
    Out Into the Abyss - In Beasts of No Nation

Update 10/10-15:
    Out Bless Me, Ultima - In Sicario
    Out Cloud Atlas - In The Martian
    Out Prometheus - In MacBeth

Update 14/09-15:
    Out Searching for Sugar Man - In Straight Outta Compton

• Fave literature   1 week 1 day ago

Meaning you'll never do it because relative completeness is an illusion.

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   1 week 1 day ago

Aha! Thanks :-)

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   1 week 1 day ago

some more grammar stuff, clearer on conceptual breadth v. depth, added the idea (at least) of replacing communication with "speech" (something which doesn't require clarity from the artist), and the small point that album structural elements require my perception of intentional use (not just an automatic "plus .5 for both album sides having aberrational slow blues songs on track three!")

• Criteria Used For Evaluating Artistic Merit in Music   1 week 1 day ago

What changed?

• Fave literature   1 week 1 day ago

I may do that once Ive brought my other lists to a better point of relative completeness.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   1 week 1 day ago

Thank you, I need to revisit Clerks for sure. I haven't seen Gummo yet. You're right that the rest should be on here, except Im not sure about Ed Wood. I haven't decided where City Lights ranks and I haven't revisited the others in years.

Borat is outrageously funny. I haven't seen it since its release so Id have to see it again to see how well its satire on America/prejudices/political correctness etc holds up, remains compelling and humorous.

• Most Comedic Depth (Film)   1 week 1 day ago

Clerks is far funnier (and generally better) than Dogma. Though perhaps with not as much 'depth'. I would freely give suggestions for comedies except that word gives me pause. Anyway:
    City Lights
    The Big Lebowski
    Ed Wood
    Borat (curious what you think of this especially)
    Life of Brian
    Back to the Future

Gummo is often tagged as a 'black comedy' and might make it, though personally I think the tag is stretching it a bit. It's an interesting and unique film regardless of genre, and worth watching.

• 2016 Book Log   1 week 2 days ago

Oh another reader who read the kingkiller's chronicles! How did you find it?

• Fave literature   1 week 2 days ago

You should try it! :P

• The Greatest Albums Ever   1 week 2 days ago

Re: Spotify account ... That sucks! Such a great resource... Another excellent site is Tidido.com -- which is relatively unknown. Between that and Spotify, I can find most of what Im looking for. I use YouTube if necessary as it sometimes has obscure recordings that I simply can't find elsewhere (such as Leo Smith's Mass on the World). Also, I can find pretty much anything (film or music or books) via my inter-library loan system which I'm not sure is available where you are. Only catch is that it sometimes takes weeks to receive so if my usual sources fail me, that's where I go.

Here's Liberation Music Orchestra via YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEigDG-tadUshVcV8QzQSQ1OBicrCGs8M

Its probably on Tidido.com too.

The album is extremely dynamic musically and compositionally, rising and falling in sweeping phases of coalescing instrumentation. Its instrumentation is largely assisted by Carla Bley (along with Mingus probably the greatest composer in jazz history), and it has some similarities to scores from masterpieces such as her Escalator Over the Hill (the non-vocal portions) and A Genuine Tong Funeral. It is also a precursor to some portions of Myra Melford's astonishing Even the Sounds Shine. Dont know if you've heard any of those for reference points.

It calls back to the Spanish Civil War and revisits the period in vibrant, evocative fashion. It seems to depict an evolution of intense, confusing, overwhelming battle sequences, alternated by touching scenes of hope and death and loss and overcoming obstacles and community. Visually, it might look something like the organized, meaningful chaos, compassion and folly of humanity as that of a Brueghel painting such as Triumph of Death (if it were instead depicting the Spanish Civil War).