• Spam Patrol   3 hours 51 min ago

========== Spam Patrol ===========
    Last user checked: kandarpaks
    Deleted spam:
    2014-10-01: 141 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages
    2014-10-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• Paintings to See   7 hours 41 min ago

Nope, I'm from the US, though for various forms of art, I certainly wish I was European (or lived there).

• 10 Paintings and others   9 hours 42 min ago

I see what you mean. In several cases it's taken me quite a bit of searching to find large enough, high quality images, but I almost always eventually track them down. And there can be no doubt that the internet/books are an indispensable source of seeing these works, and that the image quality in general has increased A LOT in the last few years.

All four of those are great works. Triumph of Death would be my top choice out of those, though I'd be pleased with any of them.

• Paintings to See   12 hours 48 min ago

I doubt I'll see all of them. I don't even know where they all are but I should see the ones in the big cities of Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands. What can happen though is a painting has been temporarily moved or being restored when you visit. That happened with Bruegel's The Hunters in the Snow so I'll visit Austria again to see it. Where are you from? Not Europe i'm guessing.

• My Favorite Music   13 hours 28 min ago

2014-09-04: 050 accounts, 01 comments, 01 pages
    2014-09-03: 057 accounts
    2014-09-02: 052 accounts, 02 comments, 02 pages
    2014-09-01: 049 accounts
    2014-09-00: 000 accounts, 00 comments, 00 pages

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   1 day 8 hours ago

Thanks, I agree that is a great scene. Very representative of his quiet, serene sense of humanity (and of course, harmony/symmetry). The Cappella Brancacci is indeed amazing and I have it as one of my highest priorities to re-evaluate soon.

• Media Log 2014   1 day 10 hours ago

And, out of all those, I'd say Europa, Double Indemnity, Point Blank and Manchurian Candidate are probably the four most likely ones for Morphine's Good.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   1 day 21 hours ago

Vision of Constantine is one of treasure of the art of painting and one of the very first night-scene (nocturno) in the history of art (obviously, this primacy is only part of its greatness).
    In general, i think it's best best fresco cycle along with those marvellous works in the Cappella Brancacci.

• MY DESERT ISLAND WORKS OF ART   2 days 1 hour ago

What do you think of Piero della Francesca's Legend of the True Cross? Do you find it comparable to his smaller works?

• Paintings to See   2 days 2 hours ago

If you get to see those in real-life, I will be very envious!!!

• 10 Paintings and others   2 days 7 hours ago

I'll stick with a top 10 of ones i've seen. Books and the internet are a good guide for paintings to seek out but not really for appreciating. It can be hard to work out which version of a painting is the correct one and the small sizes of the pictures make it difficult to judge. I can say which paintings i'm most looking forward to seeing:

La charmeuse de Serpents - Théodore Rousseau
    The Birth of Venus - Sandro Botticelli
    The Hunt in the Forest - Paolo Uccello
    Hunters in the Snow/ The Triumph of Death - Pieter Bruegel

• 10 Paintings and others   3 days 9 hours ago

You're very fortunate! Ever consider compiling a list of favorite paintings/visual art works while also including those that you've seen in picture books, on the internet, etc?

• --   3 days 11 hours ago

I meant the comment as a deadpan joke :-) but it's cool, I hear ya :-)

• Songs With Women's Names in the Title   3 days 14 hours ago

I think Wings did a Helenswheels

• --   3 days 14 hours ago

Actually what I meant was that the list is not available but I now can see how it can be misleading :)

I've been getting exhausted with list recently. I want to turn into an unordered alphabetical one and create a new seperate top 40 or 50 songs list. And yeah Not Available is a strong Residents candidate for that. Six Things to a Cycle is an even stronger candidate.

• Songs With Women's Names in the Title   3 days 14 hours ago

A few hits:-
    Donna- 10cc
    Dear Elaine-Roy Wood
    Gudbye to Jane-Slade
    Goodbye Sam,hello Samantha-Cliff Richard
    Gotta see Jane-R Dean Taylor
    Jeanie-The Sweet
    L LLucy-Mud
    Lorraine-Bad Manners
    Rosetta-Georgie Fame/Alan Price
    Suzanne beware of the devil-Dandy Livingstone
    Virginia Plain-Roxy Music
    album tracks:-
    Cousin Jane-The Troggs
    Hello Mabel-Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
    Beautiful Zelda- " " " "
    and a trick one:-
    Eve of destruction-Barry McGuire
    my wife thinks I'm sad registering just to post this,so I would welcome any feedback,good or bad.

• --   4 days 23 hours ago

Having just listened to Not Available, I can see why you chose it, even if I don't completely agree with you that it's the only worthy selection.

• Media Log 2014   5 days 5 hours ago

No problem, additional possibilities include: Von Sternberg's Blue Angel, Lang's The Big Heat, Hitchcock's Vertigo, Frankenheimer's Manchurian Candidate, Coppola's The Conversation, Spielberg's Duel, Jarmusch's Dead Man, Scorsese's Taxi Driver, Nolan's Memento -- each share aspects of it... Manchurian Candidate may be one of the very closest; while writing this Taxi Driver seems like it may make a compelling case... Many films (especially Noir, Expressionist) share correlations with it. Those, and the previous ones I mentioned, seem like the best bets. Europa also makes a very good comparison to Neu's debut.

• My Favorite Female Musicians of All-Time   5 days 12 hours ago

Great List! Linda Ronstadt, Dusty Springfield and Carly Simon ftw. Debbie Harry is missing here.

• My 100 Favourite Songs (One song of one Artist)   5 days 13 hours ago

Great list!

• Media Log 2014   6 days 21 hours ago

Thanks a lot, I was going to ask you about that! :P

• Every animated movie ever created (alphabetical)   1 week 2 hours ago

Hey I'm looking for a movie, everything is happening in the sky, there's no ground and there are monsters in the clouds but we learn that they are in fact robots and machine controled by some kind of dude. There is also a flying girl(or boy?...) that fly with the wind (or something like that) and a boy (or a girl??) flying in some kind of plane, and they will discover the truth when ate by a giant-golden-flying-worm-machine-y-thing... Is that clear to you? Its not that old and I cant remember if it was more like an anime or a 3d animation.... Some kind of mix between steamboy and castle in the sky.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Miscellaneous Art of the Week (2014)   1 week 8 hours ago

I don't waste it :) Also I tend to work in intensive spurts (instead of small, irregular blocks of time) during periods where I am particularly fascinated by whichever form of art I am mainly covering (such as right now with paintings/visual art). If I'm not in that "zone" I'll drop it quickly and get back to it some other time, and move onto whichever one really gets me at the time. I work a lot better when I have that extra level of conviction. Also, each area (music/film/visual art) has been something I've "built" (so to speak). As I've built up my comprehension and aptitude for each in relation to my criteria, and then on top of that, relating them to each other, it results in not just a greater appreciation for each and art as a whole, but also faster, more efficient assimilation of each. It's like a "snowball effect" of assimilation/experience/certainty. So each time I cycle back to each form of art, I am faster than the last and can get a lot done in shorter periods of time than before.

For instance, I just re-evaluated about 200 paintings over about a 10 hour time frame (in approximately four 2 1/2 hour spurts over two days). My initial evaluations of these, all tolled, was probably 10 times longer than that. But because I have the foundation of my previous knowledge/experience with each, it went very fast, and -- just like that -- I re-rated much of my paintings list (and while doing so I further assimilated many of the works and gained a greater understanding of them than I had done before, thus setting me up to be even more efficient if/when I re-evaluate them again).

It probably all starts with really knowing my criteria and not trying to assess works by some "objective" criteria or a confused or random one. I know what I am looking for and almost never spend much time on works of art that don't rate well in my criteria, which probably saves me an untold amount of time.

• Media Log 2014   1 week 9 hours ago

If you want to see what may be the closest film equivalent to Morphine's Good, I recommend Von Trier's Europa (criminally under-seen). Other candidates (all great in their own right) could be Wilder's Double Indemnity, Boorman's Point Blank, maybe even Polanski's Chinatown and Lynch's Lost Highway (though you've seen that).