• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   38 min 40 sec ago

Lol. I can only rate from my point of view of course :-) Maybe Ill give it another go and see more in it than I did before?

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   40 min 24 sec ago

Oh, nice to see he added it. Very good chance Ill like it a lot when I check it out!

Thanks for the heads up. Ill change it to RioBravo.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   2 hours 48 min ago

It was me. I have no other aliases on this website.

And by the way, thanks for the 'probably under 7', AfterHours, appreciate it.

Just kidding.

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 hours 49 min ago

I've reached "semi-permanent" status with all of my 7.5+'s.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   6 hours 39 min ago

Cool. I see Scaruffi recently added it to his list of best piano concertos.

Oh, and it was actually RioBravo who suggested Six and Six, unless they are the same person. Also, I am HexNash.

• Music Notes   19 hours 6 min ago

Radiohead's Burn the Witch is a good video as well. And Autechre has a great music video? Must watch!

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   21 hours 31 min ago

Whoops, thanks, that was actually cuki luvz u I think.

Re: Concerto for Piano and Strings ... Thank you, I'll try and squeeze it in soon. Sounds like a pretty strong recommendation.

• Please Recommend Music, Films or Paintings to Me   21 hours 56 min ago

Minor error: I didn't recommend Six and Six by Jandek.

Also, I reeeeeeeealy have to emphasize my recommendation for the Concerto for Piano and Strings by Schnittke. I think it has been over a year since I first recommended it, and out of all the ones since, is the only one I still rate just as highly.

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs (as of 5/2016)   1 day 2 hours ago

Like I said in the author's comments, other songs, like Klink, will be more interesting than, say, Fashion Killa. I meant to include some artists like J Dilla, but after a had a list made, I didn't want to add any more inclusions. Plus, some artists have hip-hop elements, but they wouldn't fit my criteria for how "hip" it has to be to be hip-hop, I guess; Tackhead is talked about in the section on hip-hop music in Scaruffi's guide to popular music. What's up with that?

• Year-by-year music rankings, for the sake of nothing more than organization on my own behalf   1 day 3 hours ago

There are more entries in the most recent years largely due to the influence of TinyMixTapes' Eureka section.
    I believe the greatest musicians active right now are Umayalpuram Kasiviswanatha Sivaraman and Joanna Newsom. I would include Xenia Rubinos if she put out another sizzler; Zac Little if he were more sophisticated; and Saul Williams if he were just a little more daring musically. None of these is considered titanic. Our day's titans, Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar are not as worthy of the name as were Miles, Reed, Hendrix, Bird, &c were. People may believe music has gotten worse because our musicians have less and less influence, but the reason they have less influence is that we're further from the huge cultural renovation that was ~1965; it's not that music actually has gotten worse.

Trifonov is sweet - that's sick that you saw him-

• Greatest Rock Albums   1 day 6 hours ago

Thank you, I'll definitely check it out. It did hit an amazing peak for me around the 5th listen which I'd love for it to reclaim!

• Albums I've Burnt Out/Outgrown to Various Extents   1 day 11 hours ago

Divers sounds good to me under certain mindsets. The songs are all beautiful, and I feel as though she was trying new things as a musician. However, the whole project seems overthought (she mixed some of the tracks more than 20 times; the lyrics are grand and interesting, but sometimes in context they feel cringeworthy, such as in the climax of Sapokanikan; the production tricks feel like a shell that keeps the listener apart, unlike the relatively raw and stripped-down production of the first three albums).

Carrie & Lowell is endearing to me, because Stevens is singing about his life without the guise of some other topic (such as on Michigan and Illinois). Musically the songs feel more limited. It sounds good with the atmospheric production, but it can get boring quickly.

• My Favorite Hip-Hop Songs (as of 5/2016)   1 day 22 hours ago

Cool to see. Ill have to check out some of the ones I haven't heard.

• My Favorite Music   2 days 2 min ago

The structure of the compositions, the intensity and range of emotions expressed, the cyclical nature of the album, and the philosophical lyrics about humanity's place in space and time (and I normally don't care at all about lyrics) are simply incredible to me. Here is an interview that illuminates some of it: http://www.rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/

• Greatest Rock Albums   2 days 12 min ago

This interview gives incredible insight on the album's themes, composition, and connectedness of the songs: http://www.rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/ Having listened to it a few hundred times so far, I think it is one of the greatest albums of all time.

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 days 8 hours ago

I love both of them, I'm not totally sure yet which. I'd probably say the second part but I need to listen to the album more. Overall, I might even like it more than Transition (even though Apotheosis is probably the best track between the two).

• Top 10 Movies, Music & Visual Art of the Week (2016)   2 days 9 hours ago

Which part of Colours of Time do you like better? I love the first part but for some reason the second part bores me pretty easily.

• Music Notes   2 days 9 hours ago

That Coldplay video was easily one the best I've ever seen. Wow.

Turtle Dreams is one of Monk's best pieces and that video is basically a minimalist surreal movie. It needs to be watched with graet focus and attention but it pays off with a really bizarre sense of time warp that can get a firm grip on the subconscious. I think both the composition and the video very dreamy and deeply bittersweet at that. The paradox of the turtle and her dream is symbolic of a timeless universal struggle.

Regarding your question, I'll eventually list my other favorite music videos here in this page, but off the top of my head I remember liking OutKast's Ms. Jackson (and a few other OutKast videos), Autechre's Gantz Graf, 2Pac's Hit 'Em Up (hard to imagine a better diss video), Cat Power's Cross Bones Style (I absolutely love her in that video).

• Music Notes   2 days 10 hours ago

Yeah but not in a Kardashian kind of way. It's a borderline surreal documentary with loads of great live performances in between the super awkward footage. There's a mind blowing version of Something Against You, and a whole segment about their drummer's alcohol and pill problems that me and another Pixies-loving friend used to watch and it made us laugh our asses off for some reason... Good times!

P.S. I just assumed you haven't seen it. Have you?

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 1   2 days 12 hours ago

For now my votes go: Ramones/Exile on Main St./Songs of Leonard Cohen/Call Me/Horses/+Taking Tiger Mountain/+Velvet Underground/Revolver/Hosianna Mantra/Junkyard

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 2   2 days 12 hours ago

Ziggy Stardust/Spirit of Eden/A Rainbow in Curved Air/Desertshore/Endtroducing.../Children of God/Misterioso/Good/Transition/In On The Kill Taker

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 4   2 days 12 hours ago

My votes:
    Music for 18 Musicians
    A Man & the Blues
    Pet Sounds
    Blonde On Blonde
    Half Machine Lip Moves (love both)
    Piper (like both)

Fun House
    Zen Arcade
    Loveless
    Trout Mask Replica
    + Sticky Fingers

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 4   2 days 14 hours ago

I can't edit my comment so here it goes again:

Fishscale
    + A Man & the Blues
    Music for 18 Musicians
    White Light/White Heat
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    The River
    Novus Magnificat
    This Heat (though the Indestructible Beat was an awesome discovery. Thanks, whoever nominated it)

• Best Ever Album Tournament - Round 1 - Part 3   3 days 4 hours ago

Tago Mago/Karma/Cluster/From Her To Eternity/The Shape of Jazz to Come/The Modern Dance/The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady/The Bells/The Beatles/Remain in Light

1. From Her To Eternity is an awesome album and since the superior Junkyard is already out I'm changing my vote to even it out and let someone else decide.
    2. Just listened to Cluster and Creature Comforts. Funny pairing.
    3. I concede Mu is probably the more sophisticated piece of music but Karma just gives me boundless joy.
    4. I'm really torn between Tago Mago and Y (leaning towards Y right now), but I'm going to keep them tied and let someone else decide.