Background Reading for My Mania for Insane Asylums
Submitted by Oddmonster on Fri, 10/24/2003 - 10:04
Terror Keep - Edgar Wallace
Asylum on the Hill - Michael Ramseur The Eye of Danvers - Michael Ramseur Haunted Palace: Danvers Asylum as Art and History - Michael Ramseur Mad Mary Lamb: Lunacy and Murder in Literary London - Susan Tyler Hitchcock Insanity as Redemption in Contemporary American Fiction: Inmates Running the Asylum - Barbara Lepa Tupack Alchemy of Bones: Chicago's Luetgert Murder Case of 1897 - Robert Loerzl Gracefully Insane: Life and Death Inside America's Premier Mental Hospital - Alex Beam Mad In America - Robert Whitaker The Vermont Asylum for the Insane: Its Annals for Fifty Years - Joseph Draper Abandoned Asylums of New England - John Gray and Mark Gerrity Angels in the Architecture: A Photographic Elegy to an American Insane Asylum - Heidi Johnson Snake Pit Attendant: The Experiences of a Mental Hospital Attendant - Jesse Walter Dees, Jr Life at the Texas State Lunatic Asylum, 1857-1997 - Sarah C Sitton The Age of Madness: The History of Involuntary Mental Hospitalization - ed. by Thomas S Szasz Beauty is Therapy: Memories of the Traverse City State Hospital - Earle E Steelye Women of the Asylum: Voices from Behind the Walls, 1840-1945 - Jeffery L Geller The Day They Scrambled My Brains at the Funny Factory - Max Rabinowitz Masters of Bedlam: The Transformation of the Mad Doctoring Trade - Andrew Scull, Charlotte MacKenzie Homes for the Mad: Life Inside Two Nineteenth-Century Asylums - Ellen Dwyer Moonlight, magnolias & madness: insanity in South Carolina from the colonial period to the progressive era - Peter McCandless Victorian lunacy: Richard M Burke and The Practice of Late Nineteenth Century Psychiatry - SED Shortt Mad Yankees: The Hartford Retreat for the Insane and Nineteenth-Century Psychiatry - Lawrence B Goodheart But for the grace of God: The inside story of the world's largest insane asylum, Milledgeville! - Peter Gordon Cranford Astounding Disclosures! Three years in a mad-house - Isaac H Hunt Madhouses, mad-doctors and madmen: the social history of psychiatry in the Victorian era - Andrew T Scull
To Bedlam and Partway Back - Anne Sexton "Tom o' Bedlam's Song" by Anon
Taint of Madness: Insanity and Dread Within Asylum Walls - Michael Tice Arkham Asylum: Living Hell - Dan Slott (comic) Arkham Asylum - Grant Morrison (comic)
- Background Reading for My Mania for Insane Asylums: "'You were having nightmares, Marshal. Serious nightmares.'
- 'I'm in a mental institution on an island in a hurricane,' Teddy said.
- 'Touche', Cawley said. 'I was here a month before I had a decent night's sleep. Who's Dolores?'"
- --Dennis Lehane, Shutter IslandFiction
- Project 17 - Laurie Faria Stolarz
- The Ghost of Graylock - Dan Pobloski If you read one YA novel about a creepy abandoned asylum... In other words, this is perilously and beautifully close to being Session 9 in book form.
- Black Jack - Leon Garfield Is it a love story, a boy's own adventure or a condemnation of 19th century London madhouses? Who can say? It is, however, highly recommended, a tale of a sane boy, a mad girl, and the corrupt madhouse that wants them both. Kind of.
- The Black Stocking - Constance and Gwenyth Little. Who among us doesn't love a headless nurse and an escaped lunatic? Until now I hadn't actually believed there could be a cross between noir and Golden Age cozies. Snappy, weird and madcap.
- A Mind to Murder - P D James
- Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane Love this book. Love it. Not enough stars for it.
- Sarah Canary - Karen Joy Fowler
- Murder in the Madhouse - John Latimer 4 stars. Snappy Golden Age mystery dialogue and a great setting. Slightly unbelievable ending.
- Veronika Decides to Die - Paul Coelho: Not as depressing as advertised.
- The Blackstone Chronicles (books 1-6) - John Saul: Thrilling little reads, at roughly 90 pages apiece. Horrifying accounts of insane asylum treatment, possibly "horrified up" for horror audiences, but these scenes out-scare the supernatural every time. Spoiler: Highlight to viewIcky, icky Stockholm Syndrome, though.
- Mortal: A Love Story - Elizabeth Hand
- The Asylum 2: The Violent Ward - Victor Heck
- Lunatic Asylum - Dallis Christenson
- Killer Asylum - David R Williams
- Asylum from the Inside - R B Rose
- Asylum - Aaron Rosenberg
- Asylum - Patrick McGrath
- The Reunion - Sue Walker
- Hawkes Harbor - SE Hinton
- Love in the Asylum: A Novel - Lisa Carey
- The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
- The Feast of Stephen - Rosemary Aubert
- Fingersmith - Sarah Waters
- The Muse Asylum - David Czuchlewski
- The System of Dr Tarr and Professor Fether - E A Poe
- The Judgment - D W Buffer
- Sunrise Song - Kathleen Eagle
- The Screaming Mimi - Fredric Brown
- The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
- Light and Shadow - Jayne Ann Krentz
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
- The Deadhouse - Linda Fairstein
- Speaking in Tongues - Jeffrey Deaver
- Clans of the Alphane Moon - Phillip K Dick
- The Divine Suicide - John Tannock
- Lost Souls of the Witches' Castle - Terri DuLong
- The Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann
- Out of the Madhouse - Christopher Golden
- Aunt Dimity's Christmas - Nanci Atherton
- Garnethill: a novel - Denise Mina
- Catch Me - A J Holt
- Framed in Fire - David Patneaude
- He's Watching You - Francine Pascal
- Projection - Keith Ablow
- The Pane of Glass - John Bartlow Martin
- I is another - Elisabeth Russell Taylor
- Nazareth Hill - Ramsey Campbell
- The Book of the Mad - Tanith Lee
- Hospital of the Transfiguration - Stanislaw Lem
Aslyums. I still loves 'em.