Post-2000 Music I Can Get Behind
- I'm an old fart and I don't like all this noise. Most of it is rubbish. But you whippersnappers have done some good, I tell ya.
- Radiohead: Kid A (2000)
- Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)
- Janelle Monae: The ArchAndroid (2010)
- Battles: Mirrored (2007)
- The Shins: Oh, Inverted World (2001)
- Zs: New Slaves (2010) - intense!
- The Shins: Chutes Too Narrow (2003)
- Supersilent: 6 (2003)
- Shit and Shine: Ladybird (2005)
- Animal Collective: Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished (2000)
- Spring Heel Jack: Disappeared (2000)
- Fiery Furnaces: Blueberry Boat (2004)
- Boris: Boris at Last-Feedbacker (2003)
- Colin Stetson: New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges (2011)
- Spring Heel Jack: Amassed (2002)
- The Residents: Animal Lover (2005)
- Comets On Fire: Field Recordings From the Sun (2002)
My initial thoughts (Nov 2010): So I have made an effort to listen to more 00's music. But I'm getting the faint sense that sage Scaruffi is accurate here too. What was so great about the last decade? Am I missing something? Yes, I know we had Joanna Newsom, and she is pretty great. But has there been anyone pointing the way forward? What is the future of music? Increasing noise? Now that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's not exactly the new game in town either. Great bands have incorporated noise elements as an ingredient in a much wider palette of sonic wonderment for YEARS NOW. From the Velvets to the Butthole Surfers (not to mention Hendrix!), noise has been an interdependent element, complementer, enhancer, and mutual partner in the architecture -- NOT THE DAMN ENTIRE THING. OK, I'll admit that I don't really know what I'm talking about. If I'm attacking the likes of Merzbow and other harsh noise-fiends, I may as well be preaching to the choir (right?). And I haven't even heard Boris yet (what the HELL does he know??) So what am I babbling about? I don't know.