Top 10 Pet Peeves
Submitted by AlexWalkerSmith on Fri, 09/25/2009 - 01:11
- The misuse of the word "literally." The word "literally" is overwhelmingly used in place of the words "extremely" or "seriously." But “literally” is only to be used where an idiom is used. It changes the idiom from a phrase to a true statement. For example, someone might say, “it’s raining cats and dogs,” when it’s raining hard. But if cats and dogs were falling out of the sky, they would say, “It’s literally raining cats and dogs.” LITERALLY CAN ONLY BE USED IF CATS AND DOGS ARE FALLING OUT OF THE SKY.
- The misuse of pronouns, such as I, me, he, him, she, and her. I’m not even going to try to explain how and when to use all of them. I’m just letting everyone know that I know how and when to use them, and when people do it incorrectly, it bothers me… IT’S NOT THAT DIFFICULT.
- The misuse of the phrase, “It’s called a blank.” If someone is having trouble opening a door, you say, “It’s called a ‘door knob,’” not, “It’s called ‘use the door knob.’” If you’re not going to use a noun, you’re defeating the purpose of the words “it’s called.” IT’S CALLED A ‘NOUN.’
- Atheists who base their atheism on Christianity. I can’t seem to get it through their heads that I agree with them. Christianity is a primitive and archaic religion and the Bible is completely flawed. I don’t believe God is anything like the way it is portrayed in the Bible, but I believe there is a force that observes the universe. DEBUNKING CHRISTIANITY DOES NOT DISPROVE THE EXISTANCE OF GOD.
- People who play the acoustic guitar. If they don’t know anything about music theory, chord progressions, or musical interpretation, they don’t deserve to play a musical instrument. They just memorize finger patterns and strum. That’s not a musician. That’s not talent. That’s just stupid. Sometimes, just to ease my mind, I watch that scene from Animal House where John Belushi destroys that guy’s acoustic guitar. PLAYING THE ACOUSTIC GUITAR DOESN’T MAKE YOU COOL.
- I’m Yours, by Jason Mras. This song is terrible. The chord progression is unimaginative, and in some places doesn’t resolve properly. The lyrics are stock. The melody is random. And the ‘do do do be do’s are the worst part. This song demonstrates how not to write a song. PLAYING THE ACOUSTIC GUITAR DOESN’T MAKE YOU COOL.
- People who think they know what’s best for me. I don’t like to be told what to do for myself. Suggestions are fine. Guidelines are fine. But I don’t like laws that restrict me because someone thinks they know what’s best for me. I support self-sufficiency. I support small government. DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
- Global Warming propaganda. Al Gore has infected our country with his slideshow/documentary, An Inconvenient Truth. I can hardly go a day without hearing someone somewhere complain about the ice caps melting as a result of CO2 emissions by humans. The fact is, CO2 levels rise as a result of temperature rising. This means that CO2 emissions don’t contribute to global warming. If the Earth’s temperature is rising, it’s not our fault. MANBEARPIG ISN’T REAL.
- Education in the United States. This is a serious problem. Too many teachers don’t care about teaching, they just care about their paychecks and benefits. Whether they are uncommitted to students or they just don’t know the subject they are supposed to be teaching, there is an excess of unfit teachers. Elementary teachers are not teaching the basics properly. High School teachers are not strengthening skills. College professors are pushing Liberal politics on students. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.
- ADD or ADHD. A kid that has difficulty paying attention or staying focused doesn’t have Attention Deficit Disorder, they just didn’t have parents who said, “Look at me when I’m talking to you. Are you listening to me? Good…” A kid who interrupts people, runs around restlessly, and gets in fights at school doesn’t have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, they just didn’t have parents who said, “Hey, do you see that we are talking? Don’t interrupt,” or “Settle down, it’s almost bedtime,” or “Don’t hit your sister. She had it first. You can take turns.” IT’S NOT A MENTAL DISORDER, IT’S BAD PARENTING.
These are not in any particular order. It's just a list of things that bother me. A lot.